List of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1983

Supporting documents

Pages

11-16

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', Survey of London: volume 41: Brompton (1983), pp. XI-XVI. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50003 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

List of Plates

Frontispiece. The London Oratory, nave looking towards the High Altar. Walercolour by Herbert Gribble in possession of the Congregation of the London Oratory

1. Southern Kensington, aerial view from south-west in June 1973. Photograph copyright Aerofilms Limited (SV 4588)

2. Maps of Brompton Road and district
(a) Extract from map of Kensington, published by T. Starling, 1822
(b) Extract from Edmund Daw's map of Kensington, 1879

3. Extract from Horwood's map of 1794 showing Brompton Road area

4–5. Brompton Road, extracts from Joseph Salway's survey of 1811. Reproduced by permission of the British Library from Add. MS. 31326

6. Nos. 78–188 (even) Brompton Road (Brompton Row)
(a) Nos. 96–102 (even) in 1952. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(b) No. 188 from rear in c. 1965. G.L.C. photograph
(c), (d) No. 156 and No. 152 in 1975. G.L.C. photographs

7. Brompton Road in 1902
(a), (b) No. 65 Irom rear and Nos. 1 and 1 A. Photographs in Kensington Central Library
(c), (d) Nos. 64 and 66 and Nos. 48–52 (even). Photographs in Westminster City Library

8. (a) Nos. 84–120 (even) Brompton Road in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 436
(b) Brompton Road looking towards Knightsbridge Green in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 440
(c) Nos. 1–10 Brompton Place in 1975. G.L.C. photograph
(d) Brompton Road in 1980, with Nos. 2–14 (even) Montpelier Street. G.L.C. photograph

9. Yeoman's Row, east side
(a) Nos. 9–23 (odd) in 1958. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(b) Doorcase of No. 23 in 1959. G.L.C. photograph
(c), (d) Nos. 9–25 (odd) and Nos. 9–33 (odd) in 1980. G.L.C. photographs

10. (a) Brompton Chapel, Montpelier Street. Watercolour from extra-illustrated copy in Guildhall Library of D. Lysons, Environs of London, vol. iii, part I, facing p. 195
(d) Brompton National School, Brompton Road. From The Builder, 4 Jan. 1845
(c) Knightsbridge Market, scheme proposed by William Hosking c. 1836. From Guildhall Library (La PrW2 KNI)

11. (a) The Hermitage in c. 1840. Lithograph in Kensington Central Library
(b) The Bell and Horns Inn, extract from Joseph Salway's survey of Brompton and Fulham Roads, 1811. Reproduced by permission of the British Library from Add. MS. 31326
(c) Blemell House School in c. 1850. Watercolour by T. H. Shepherd in Kensington Central Library
(d) Brompton Square in 1843. Engraving by E. Dawes after drawing by T. H. Shepherd in Kensington Central Library

12. Brompton Square. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Nos. 5–9 (consec.) in 1975
(b) Nos. 43–48 (consec.) in 1975
(c) Nos. 32 and 33 in 1976

13. (a) Nos. 11–29 (odd) Rutland Street in 1982. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Cottage Place in c 1910. Photograph in Guildhall Library
(c), (d) Cheval Place looking west and Nos. 3–5 (consec.) Fairholt Street in 1982. G.L.C. photographs

14. (a) Nos. 70–74 (even) Brompton Road in 1903. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(b) No. 200 Brompton Road in 1969. G.L.C. photograph
(c) No. 58A Brompton Road in 1909. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record
(d) Knightsbridge Station, Brompton Road in c. 1906. Photograph in Greater London Record Office (Acc. 1297, MDR 4 15. p. 36)

15. Beauchamp Place development
(a) Beauchamp Place looking north in c. 1903. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 447
(b) Nos. 179–183 (odd) Brompton Road in 1903. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(c) Nos. 14 and 15 Beauchamp Place in 1980. G.L.C. photograph

16. Ovington Square development
(a), (b), (c) Nos. 197–201 (odd) Brompton Road, No. 11 Ovington Gardens and Nos. 203 and 205 Brompton Road in 1903. Photographs in Kensington Central Library
(d) The Bunch of Grapes, No. 207 Brompton Road, in 1982. G.L.C. photograph

17. Ovington Square and Gardens. G.L.C. photographs.
(a) Nos. 30 and 32 Ovington Square in 1975
(b), (c), (d) Ovington Square, east side, Nos. 17–19 (consec.) Ovington Gardens and Nos. 1–7 (conscc.) Ovington Gardens in 1980

18. Beaufort Gardens development
(a) Nos. 161–177 (odd) Brompton Road. Drawing of I860 by G. A. Burn in Greater London Record Office (MBW 2504)
(b) The Red Lion, No. 161 Brompton Road, in 1903. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(c) Nos. 163–169 (odd) Brompton Road in 1960. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(d) Beaufort Gardens, cast side in 1975. G.L.C. photograph

19. Brompton Road in 1959. Photographs by Millar and Harris (12521)
(a), (b) Intersection of knights bridge, Brompton Road and Sloane Street and Nos. 1–31 (odd) Brompton Road

20. Goddard estate, frontage to Brompton Road (a), (b) Nos. 33 and 35 and Nos. 57–61 (odd) in 1902. Photographs in Kensington Central Library
(c) Nos. 33–61 (odd) in 1959. Photograph by Millar and Hams (12521)

21. (a) Nos. 14–34 (even) Hans Road in 1980. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Hans Crescent looking north in 1963. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(c) Nos. 79–85 (odd) Brompton Road in 1980. G.L.C. photograph

22. (a), (c) No. 59 Brompton Road, interiors of shop in c 1900. Photographs from the Kodak Museum (LO 0734 and SO 2388)
(b) No. 12 Hans Road, front. From The Builder, 29 Aug. 1896
(d) No. 12 Hans Road, front in 1956. G.L.C. photograph

23. Nos. 12–16 (even) Hans Road
(a) Nos. 12–16, preliminary elevation and section. From The British Architect, 18 March 1892
(b), (c), (d) Nos. 12–16, rear view. No. 14, panel within porch and staircase in 1971. G.L.C. photographs

24. Brompton Road in 1980. G.L.C photographs
(a) Looking east from Ovington Gardens
(b) Nos. 78–94 (even), Princes Court
(c) Knightsbridge Green, Caltex House and Nos. 58A–76 (even)

25. (a) Nos. 233–237 (odd) Brompton Road in 1981. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Nos. 24–28 (even) Yeoman's Row, elevation as proposed in 1897. Drawing by W. Barber in Kensington Central Library (L.C.C. applications to Vestry)
(c) Nos. 14–20 (even) Yeoman's Row in 1937. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(d) Nos. 22–28 (even) Yeoman's Row in 1974. G.L.C. photograph

26. Harrods, Brompton Road frontage
(a) In c. 1900. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(b), (c), (d) In c. 1903–6. Photographs in possession of Harrods Limited

27. Harrods, exteriors
(a) ‘Coronation Tower’, Hans Road, in 1980. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Aerial view in c. 1948. Photograph in possession of Harrods Limited
(c) Basil Street frontage in c. 1930. Photograph in possession of Harrods Limited

28–29. Harrods, interiors in 1919. Photographs by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record

30. Harrods, interiors
(a) Banking Hall in c. 1935. Photograph in possession of Harrods Limited
(b) Detail of Meat Hall in 1979. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Meat Hall in 1929. Photograph by Millar and Harris in possession of Harrods Limited

31. Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, exterior
(a) From the south-east in 1830. Engraving by R. B. Schnebbelie from The Gentleman's Magazine, vol. c, 1830, facing p. 571
(b) From the south in 1843. Engraving by E. Dames after drawing by T. H. Shepherd in Kensington Central Library
(c) From the north-west in 1965. G.L.C. photograph
(d) From the south-east in 1979. G.L.C. photograph

32. Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, interiors in 1979. G.L.C. photographs

33. The Oratory
(a) The Oratory Church and Oratory House in c. 1853–8. Photograph in possession of the Congregation of the London Oratory
(b) The Oratory House in 1857. Photograph in Victoria and Albert Museum, Guard Books, no. 927
(c), (d) Interiors of the church in c. 1865 and c. 1878. From originals in possession of the London Oratory

34. The Oratory, interiors in 1971. G.L.C. photographs
(a), (b) The Little Oratory and The Library

35. The Oratory Church, unexecuted designs
(a) Plan and section by Herbert Gribble. From The Building News, 3 March 1876
(b) Competition plan and elevation by Henry Clutton. From The Building News, 9 Aug. 1878
(c) Competition elevation by E. W. Godwin. From The British Architect, 4 July 1879

36. The Oratory Church, drawings by Herbert Gribble
(a) From the north. From The Building News, 23 Jan. 1880
(b) Construction of the drum. From The Building News, 25 June 1880
(c) From the south-west. From The Building News, 2 May 1879

37. The Oratory Church, exteriors
(a) Dome in 1896. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record
(b) From the south-east in 1948. Photograph in National Monuments Record

38–39. The Oratory Church, interiors in 1948. Photographs in National Monuments Record

40. The Oratory Church, interiors
(a) Pulpit in 1979. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Altar of St. Wilfrid in 1971. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Chapel of St. Wilfrid in c. 1905. From a postcard in Greater London Record Office

41. The Oratory
(a), (b) Lady Altar and Altar of St. Philip in 1971. G.L.C. photographs
(c), (d) Statues of St. Jude and St. Matthew in 1948. Photographs in National Monuments Record
(e) Memorial to Cardinal Newman in 1982. G.L.C. photograph

42. (a) Brompton Road near Alexander Square in c. 1900. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(b) The Bell and Horns corner in c. 1912. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(c) Empire House, Thurloe Place and Brompton Road in 1982. G.L.C. photograph

43. (a) No. 7 North Terrace, Alexander House, in 1958. Photograph by Sydney Nembery (N87718)
(b) North Terrace and Nos. 1–4 Alexander Square in 1902. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(c), (d) Nos. 4–10 (even) Alexander Place and Nos. 12–18 (even) Thurloe Street in 1957. G.L.C. photographs

44. Alexander Square. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Nos. 13–20 in 1958
(b) Entrance to No. 11 in 1957
(c) Nos. 5–12 in 1974

45. Thurloe Square
(a) Design for south-east range. Lithograph of c. 1842 by T. Madeley in Kensington Central Library
(b) North end of square from Thurloe Place in c. 1856. Photograph in possession of Mr. Fowke Mangeot
(c) North-east range in 1938. G.L.C. photograph

46. (a) No. 19 Thurloe Square, sitting-room in 1911. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record
(b) Nos. 18–21 Thurloe Place in 1975. G.L.C. photograph

47. (a) Harrington Road, during construction of underground railway in c. 1867. Photograph in possession of London Transport Board (18057)
(b) Thurloe Close in 1980. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 25–29 (odd) Thurloe Street in 1974. G.L.C. photograph

48. South Kensington Station
(a) Elevation of original station towards Pelham Street. From a drawing of c. 1867 in possession of the London Transport Board (D/109/13 002)
(b) Piccadilly Line station in c. 1907. Photograph in Greater London Record Office (Ace. 1297, MDR 4/15, p. 35)

49. (a), (b) Nos. 23 and 25 Pelham Place and Thurloe Houses, Pelham Place North, in 1902. Photographs in Kensington Central Library
(c) No. 14 Pelham Crescent and Nos. 2–14 (even) Pelham Place in 1957. G.L.C. photograph

50. Pelham Crescent
(a) Elevations by George Basevi, 1833. From original in R.LBA. Drawings Collection
(b) Eastern range in c. 1905. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(c) Eastern range in 1957. G.L.C. photograph

51. Egerton Crescent and Terrace in 1959. G.L.C. photographs
(a), (b) Egerton Crescent
(c) Nos. 33–41 (odd) Egerton Terrace

52. Onslow Square and district
(a) Nos. 9–31 (odd) in c. 1850. From a watercolour by T. //. Shepherd in Kensington Central Library
(b) Nos. 1–7 (odd) in 1957. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 2–14 (even) in 1967. G.L.C. photograph
(d) Cowper House Lunatic Asylum. From an engraving of c. 1830 in Kensington Central Library

53. Onslow Gardens
(a) Nos. 35–48 (consec.) in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 519
(b), (c) Nos. 49–77 (odd) and Nos. 50–78 (even) in 1980. G.L.C. photographs

54. (a) A drawing-room in Onslow Crescent in 1929. Walercolour by K. Barnard at The Museum of London
(b) No. 4 Onslow Square, entrance hall in 1926. Photograph copyright Country Life (20 Feb. 1926)
(c) No. 68 Onslow Gardens, library in 1891. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record

55. (a) Sumner Place in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 301
(b) Nos. 25–34 (consec.) Sumner Place in 1981. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Avenue Studios, Sydney Mews, in 1979. G.L.C photograph
(d) The Cranley Arms, Fulham Road, in 1981. G.L.C. photograph

56. (a) St. Paul's Church, Onslow Square, cast front. Engraving from W. Pepperell, The Church Index … Pan i. Kensington, [1872]
(b) St. Peter's Church, Cranley Gardens, west front in 1966. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(c) St. Peter's Church, Cranley Gardens, east end in 1972. G.L.C photograph

57. St. Paul's Church, Onslow Square, interiors in 1974. Photographs, in National Monuments Record

58. St. Peter's Church, Cranley Gardens, interiors
(a) Looking east in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 310
(b) Morning chapel in 1972. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Looking east in 1982. G.L.C. photograph

59. Evelyn and Cranley Gardens in 1980–1. G.L.C. photographs
(a), (c) Nos. 50–70 (consec.) and Nos. 2–10 (even) Evelyn Gardens
(b) Nos. 15–37 (odd) Cranley Gardens

60. (a) Nos. 20–48 (even) Egerton Gardens, rear elevations in 1973. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Egerton Place in 1973. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 27–49 (odd) Egerton Gardens in 1982. G.L.C. photograph

61. Mortimer House, Egerton Gardens, in 1976. Photographs by Wightscol Limited

62. Brompton Hospital
(a) Design for main front by Frederick J. Francis. Reproduced by permission of the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry from a lithograph in Scottish Record Office (RHP 14443)
(b) Chapel and hospital before 1876. Stereoscopic photograph in possession of Brompton Hospital
(c) Chapel from east in 1971. G.L.C. photograph

63. Brompton Hospital Chapel
(a) Perspective view by E. B. Lamb from south-east. Lithograph of c. 1849 in Kensington Central Library
(b), (c) Interior in 1971. G.L.C. photographs

64. (a) Onslow Chapel, Neville Terrace, in c 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 518
(b) Nos. 9–16 Onslow Gardens in 1981. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 1–11 (consec.) Neville Terrace in 1982. G.L.C. photograph

65. (a) Selwood Place, north side in 1937. Photograph in Kensington Central Library
(b) Elm Place, east side in 1957. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 9–14 Selwood Terrace in 1976. G.L.C. photograph

66. (a) The Anglesea public house and No. 16 Selwood Terrace in 1964. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Nos. 4–9 Thistle Grove in 1981. G.L.C. photograph

67. (a), (c) Nos. 28–34 (even) and Nos. 1–29 (odd) Drayton Gardens in 1982. G.L.C. photographs
(b) Nos. 141 and 143 Old Brompton Road in 1971. G.L. C. photograph

68. (a) No. 153 Old Brompton Road, Drayton Arms, in 1975. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Prior, Mansions and Drayton Court, Drayton Gardens, in 1982. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 49–53 (odd) Drayton Gardens in 1899. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record
(d) No. 59 Drayton Gardens in 1904. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record

69. (a) Nos. 18 and 21–22 Cresswell Place. From The Building News, 28 Oct. 1887
(b), (c) Nos. 80–84 (even) Drayton Gardens and Nos. 13 and 15 Roland Gardens in 1982. G.L.C. photographs
(d) No. 46 Roland Gardens in 1980. Photograph by Roy Bowles

70. Little Chelsea and West Brompton, extracts from the map of Kensington published by T. Starling, 1822

71. Little Chelsea and West Brompton, extracts from Edmund Daw's map of Kensington, 1879

72. Little Chelsea in the Fulham Road, extracts from Joseph Salway's survey of 1811. Reproduced by permission of the British Library from Add. MS. 31326

73. Fulham Road and district. G.L.C. photographs
(a) ABC Cinema in 1973
(b), (c), (d) No. 152 and Cavaye Place, Nos. 170–176 (even) and Nos. 186–192 (even) in 1981

74. Seymour Walk. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Nos. 38–46 (even) in 1974
(b) Looking north in 1973
(c) No. 13 in 1976

75. Little Chelsea
(a) Lochee's Military Academy in 1784. From an engraving by R. Wilkinson in Chelsea Library
(b) Hollywood House, Hollywood Road. From a watercolour by Louise Sterrey in Kensington Central Library
(c) Barker Street, looking north in c. 1930. Photograph in Kensington Central Library'
(d) Lochee's Military Academy. Watercolour in Kensington Central Library
(e) West corner of Hollywood Road and Fulham Road in 1981. G.L.C. photograph

76. Church of Our Lady of Seven Dolours and St. Mary's Priory, No. 264 Fulham Road
(a) Entrance elevation of church. Drawing of c. 1873–4 by J. A. Hansom in archives of St. Mary's Priory
(b) Interior with High Altar. From The Builder, 21 April 1883
(c) Front towards Fulham Road in 1973. G.L.C. photograph
(d) Front towards Fulham Road in 1880. From The Building News, 22 Oct. 1880

77. Church of Our Lady of Seven Dolours, interiors in 1979. G.L.C. photographs

78. (a) Hereford House, Old Brompton Road, in 1896. Cutting in Kensington Central Library
(b) Coleherne House, Old Brompton Road, staircase. Photograph in National Monuments Record
(c) Cresswell Lodge, Old Brompton Road, in c. 1840's. Lithograph by William Cowen in Kensington Central Library
(d) Sidmouth Lodge, The Boltons, in 1912. Photograph in Kensington Central Library

79. (a) South Bolton Gardens looking west in 1933. G.L.C. photograph
(b) Gilston Road looking north in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 812
(c) Nos. 3–6 Bolton Gardens, Old Brompton Road, in 1933. G.L.C. photograph
(d) No. 185 Old Brompton Road in 1974. G.L.C. photograph

80. The Boltons, western crescent. G.L.C. photographs
(a), (b) Nos. 24–28 and Nos. 18–23 in 1965
(c) Nos. 16–21 in 1938

81. The Boltons, eastern crescent. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Nos. 1 and 2 in 1980
(b) Nos. 9 and 10 in 1975

82. The Boltons, interiors
(a), (b), (c) No. 12 in 1979. G.L.C. photographs
(d) No. 16 in 1893. Photograph by Bedford Lemere in National Monuments Record

83. Gunter estate. G.L.C. photographs
(a) No. 2 Harley Gardens in 1977
(b), (c), (d), (e) Nos. 3 and 4 Harley Gardens, No. 24 Gilston Road, Nos. 25–41 (odd) Gilston Road and Nos. 10–16 (even) Tregunter Road in 1970

84. (a) Nos. 6–12 (consec.) Priory Walk and 26 Gilston Road in 1977. G.L.C. photograph
(b) No. 3 Cathcart Road in 1980. G.L.C. photograph
(c) Nos. 12–14 (consec.) Harley Gardens and Nos. 10–12 (consec.) Milborne Grove in 1970. G.L.C. photograph
(d) No. 16 Hollywood Road in 1974. G.L.C. photograph

85. Gunter estate in 1980. G.L.C. photographs
(a), (b) Nos. 25–29 (odd) and Nos. 26 and 28 The Little Boltons
(c) Nos. 1 and 3 Wharfedale Street
(d) Nos. 2 and 4 Redcliffe Square

86. Gunter estate. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Nos. 7 and 8 Harley Gardens in 1977
(b) Nos. 36 and 38 Tregunter Road in 1980
(c), (d) Nos. 29 and 31 and Nos. 20 and 22 Tregunter Road in 1975

87. Redcliffe Estate in 1980. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Nos. 5 and 6 Redcliffe Road
(b) Nos. 15 and 17 Coleherne Road
(c) Nos. 53–59 (odd) Cathcart Road
(d) Nos. 106–110 (even) Ifield Road

88. West Brompton in c. 1905
(a), (b) Coleherne Road and Redcliffe Gardens. Postcards in Kensington Central Library, nos. 650 and 806

89. Redcliffe Estate. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Hollywood Arms, Hollywood Road, in 1974
(b) Former Redcliffe Arms and Nos. 270 and 272 Fulham Road in 1981
(c), (d) The Coleherne and Nos. 263–269 (odd) Old Brompton Road in 1980

90. Redcliffe Square
(a) Prospective view of Redcliffe Mansions at Nos. 29–45 (odd). From The Builder, 11 Feb. 1871
(b) Nos. 29–45 (odd) in 1975. G.L.C. photograph

91. Redcliffe Square
(a) Nos. 6–20 (even) in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 814
(b) Nos. 18–22 (even) in 1975. G.L.C. photograph

92. Redcliffe Estate. G.L.C. photographs
(a) Redcliffe Mews, entrance in 1971
(b) No. 38 Redcliffe Gardens in 1980
(c) Nos. 1–7 (odd) Finborough Road and No. 17 Redcliffe Place in 1980
(d) Nos. 2 and 4 Finborough Road in 1980

93. St. Mary's Church, The Boltons, exterior (a) From the south–west as originally proposed. From George Godwin, Buildings and Monuments, 1850
(b) From the west in 1975. G.L.C. photograph

94. St. Mary's Church, The Boltons, interiors
(a), (c) Crossing and nave and sedilia. From The Builder, 19 Oct. 1850
(b), (d) Looking east and crossing looking north-east in 1979. G.L.C. photographs

95. Former St. Mary's School, No. 4 Gilston Road, in 1974. G.L.C. photographs

96. St. Luke's Church, Redcliffe Square, exteriors
(a) From south-west in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library no. 727
(b) From the east, as first built. From The Builder 16 Aug. 1873
(c) From the north-east in 1979. G.L.C. photograph

97. St. Luke's Church, Rcdcliffe Square, interiors
(a) Nave and chancel in c. 1905. Postcard in possession of the Council for the Care of Churches
(b), (c) Nave and chancel in 1979. G.L.C. photographs

98. St. Luke's Church, Redcliffe Square, fittings in 1979. G.L.C. photographs

99. Bladon Lodge, South Bolton Gardens, in 1934. Photographs copyright Country Life (17 March 1934)

100. Nos. 8 and 9 South Bolton Gardens in 1930. Photographs copyright Country Life (20 Sept. 1930)

101. (a) South Bolton Gardens, design for houses by Walter Cave. From The Builder, 6 Feb. 1904
(b) Coleherne Court in 1903. Photograph by E. Dockree in National Monuments Record
(c) Nos. 18 and 20 Cathcart Road in 1977. Photograph in Kensington Central Library

102. Fulham Road
(a) Extract from Joseph Salway's survey of 1811. Reproduced by permission of the British Library from Add. MS. 31326
(b), (c) Nos. 340–356 (even) and Black Bull public house and Nos. 360–366 (even) in 1981. G.L.C. photographs

103. The Billings. G.L.C. photograph
(a) Nos. 12–19 Billing Street in 1982
(b) Nos. 1–8 Billing Place in 1974

104. Brompton Cemetery, bird's-eye view in 1971 G.L.C. photograph

105. Brompton Cemetery
(a) Proposed layout by Benjamin Baud, 1840. Lithograph in Kensington Central Library
(b), (c), (d) Chapel, main avenue and north entrance lodge in 1970. G.L.C. photographs

106–107. Brompton Cemetery, monuments in 1967–70. G.L.C. photographs

108. St. Luke's Church and Redcliffe Square in c. 1905. Postcard in Kensington Central Library, no. 811



<--Previous:
Acknowledgments
Next:-->
List of figures