List of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1957

Supporting documents

Pages

9-14

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', Survey of London: volume 27: Spitalfields and Mile End New Town (1957), pp. IX-XIV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50144 Date accessed: 27 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

List of Plates

(Unless otherwise stated all the Plates are photographs taken since 1946
whose copyright belongs to the London County Council)

Frontispiece. Christ Church, west front. Coloured photograph

1. Extract from Agas's map, c. 1560–70

2. Extract from Ogilby and Morgan's map of 1681–2

3. Extract from Rocque's map of 1746

4. Extract from Horwood's map of 1819

5. Extract from the Ordnance Survey map of 1873–5

CHRIST CHURCH

6. (a) Plan for a new church in Norton Folgate, 1712/13. From a plan in the Guildhall Library
(b) Side elevation of an unnamed church with a spire resembling that of Christ Church. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.4

7. (a) Plan of the land forming the site of Christ Church and the churchyard. From a plan amongst the Christ Church deeds in the records of the Commissioners for Fifty New Churches in Lambeth Palace Library
(b) Early plan for Christ Church. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.g

8. (a) Dimensioned plan of ‘hall church’ design. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.h
(b) West, east and south elevations of ‘hall church’ design. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.s

9. (a) East elevation of ‘hall church’ design. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.21.2.p
(b) Cross section of ‘hall church’ design looking east. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.21.2.0

10. (a) West elevation of ‘hall church’ with low tower. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, Supplementary CXXIV.50
(b), (c) Alternative designs for completing the tower. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.r

11. (a) Elevation of the portico. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.u
(b), (c) Portico, side elevation, (b) original design, (c) as executed. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, Supplementary CXXIV.48

12. Plan of the crypt. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.a

13. Plan of the crypt. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

14. Floor plan. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.c

15. Floor plan. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

16. Gallery plan, and plans of the tower at various levels. Measured drawings by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

17. (a) North elevation. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.m
(b) West elevation. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.0

18. (a) West elevation. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

(b) South elevation. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

19. (a) East elevation. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski
(b) Cross section looking east. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

20. Longitudinal section. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

21. Ceiling plan. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

22. Cross section looking west. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

23. Cross section through the tower, looking west. Measured drawing by Mrs. L. F. M. Ison, surveyed by F. A. Evans and Z. Dmochowski

24. (a) View of the interior looking east. From a photograph of a mid-nineteenth-century drawing in the church
(b) Joiner's plan for fitting up the interior. From a drawing in the King's Topographical Collection in the British Museum, XXIII.11.f

25. (a) West front from Paternoster Row (Brushfield Street). From an aquatint published in 1815 in R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts, volume 14, plate 25
(b) West front from Brushfield Street

26. General view from the south-west

27. General view from the south-east

28. (a) The portico
(b) The tower, second stage. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

29. (a) The tower and spire, south side. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) The tower and spire, east side from the roof-ridge. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

30. (a) General view of the east end. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) Venetian window and lunette, east end. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

31. (a) West window on the south side. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) Central window on the north side. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

32. Interior looking east

33. Interior looking west

34. Pier and entablature at the south-west end of the nave. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

35. Central bays of north arcade. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

36. (a) Royal arms on east screen-colonnade. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) East bay of north aisle and screencolonnade. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

37. (a) Upper gallery at the west end of the south aisle. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) West bay of the north aisle. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(c) Barrel vaults of the two east bays of the north aisle. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(d) Plaster ‘glory’ in ceiling panel over the altar recess

38. (a) Arch and keystone of the south-west doorway. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) Nave arcade, keystone with cherub. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(c) Wrought-iron gate at the foot of the north-east staircase. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(d) Reader's desk, now the pulpit. Photograph, The Warburg Institute

39. (a) Monument to Edward Peck. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(b) Monument to Sir Robert Ladbroke. Photograph, The Warburg Institute
(c) Vestibule
(d) Vestry room

40. (a) Spitalfields Great Synagogue, Fournier Street, formerly French Church, etc.: exterior
(b) Spitalfields Great Synagogue, Fournier Street: interior looking north when used as a Methodist Chapel. From a lithograph dated 1869 in the Council's collection

41. (a) Spitalfields Great Synagogue, Fournier Street, formerly French Church, etc.: interior looking east
(b) Spitalfields Great Synagogue, Fournier Street, formerly French Church, etc.: interior looking south-west

42. (a) Sir George Wheler's Chapel, later St. Mary Spital Square. From a drawing reproduced in the parish magazine of St. Mary Spital Square, May 1896 (copy in Bishopsgate Institute)
(b) White's Row Chapel. From an engraving of 1784 in the Council's collection
(c) St. Mary Spital Square, formerly Sir George Wheler's Chapel. From a pencil drawing of 1843 in the Council's collection
(d) Artillery Lane Synagogue, formerly Chapel. Photograph 1946

43. (a) All Saints' Church and Schools, Buxton Street. From a woodcut in a scrapbook in the Council's collection
(b) Trinity Congregational Church and Schools, Hanbury Street. From a lithograph in the Guildhall Library
(c) St. Stephen's Church, Commercial Street. From an engraving in The British Almanac, 1863
(d) St. Olave's Church, Kingward Street. Drawing by F. A. Evans from photographs in Church Commissioners' File 49486

44. (a) St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church, Underwood Road, longitudinal section of the original design. From the plans submitted by G. R. Blount to the Office of Metropolitan Buildings, 1853
(b) St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church and presbytery, Underwood Road, exterior
(c) St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church, Underwood Road, north front

45. (a) St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church, Underwood Road, interior looking south
(b) St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church, Underwood Road, interior looking north

46. (a) Talmud Torah Classes, No. 59 Brick Lane, formerly French School, etc.
(b) Christ Church Charity Schools, Red Lion Street. From an invitation card of 1812 in the Bishopsgate Institute
(c) No. 43 Commercial Street, formerly Jews' Infant School
(d) No. 19 Deal Street, formerly King Edward Institution, etc.

47. (a) Christ Church Primary School, Brick Lane
(b) St. Stephen's School, Quaker Street
(c) No. 4 Wilkes Street, formerly Wood Street Protestant Dissenting School, etc. Photograph 1909

48. (a) Norton Folgate Almshouses, Blossom Terrace. From a drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Council's collection
(b) Weavers' Company Almshouses, Blossom Terrace. From a drawing dated 1843 by T. H. Shepherd in the Council's collection
(c) St. Peter's Hospital, Vallance Road, formerly Whitechapel Union Workhouse, etc. Photograph 1913

49. (a) Police Station, Commercial Street
(b) Royal Cambridge Music Hall, Commercial Street. From The Architect, 20 January 1899
(c) No. 30 Rowland Street
(d) Fashion Street Arcade

50. (a) Shoreditch terminus of the Eastern Counties Railway. From a water-colour by T. H. Shepherd in the Crace Collection, British Museum
(b) Bishopsgate Goods Station

51. (a) Brushfield Street and South Street, looking towards Spitalfields Market. From a watercolour drawing dated 1879 by J. P. Emslie in the Bishopsgate Institute
(b) Spitalfields Market, Commercial Street front

52. (a) Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane. From an engraving dated 1842 in the Council's collection
(b) Truman's Brewery, the Directors' House

53. (a) Truman's Brewery, the Head Brewer's House, Experimental Brewery and No. 10 Building
(b) Truman's Brewery, the Vat House
(c) Truman's Brewery, the Engineer's House and former stable block
(d) Truman's Brewery, Wilkes Street front

54. (a) Nos. 52 Artillery Lane and 9a Artillery Passage
(b) Houses in Steward Street and Fort Street. From a water-colour dated 1914 by E. A. Phipson in the Council's collection
(c) Plan of the Old Artillery Ground, 1680/1. From the plan in the Public Record Office, E/503

55. (a) Old houses, probably north side of White's Row. From a drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Bishopsgate Institute
(b) Houses at the corner of Hanbury Street and Brick Lane. From a water-colour drawing dated 1914 by E. A. Phipson in the Council's collection

56. Spital Square, general view of west arm looking east, showing Nos. 5–9 and 22. Photograph 1909

57. Nos. 15 and 17 Spital Square: north arm looking towards Folgate Street. Photograph 1909

58. Nos. 17–22 Spital Square: east side of north arm looking south. Photograph 1909

59. (a) No. 20 Spital Square: east side of north arm. Photograph 1909
(b) Nos. 24–27 Spital Square: north side of east arm. Photograph 1909

60. (a) Nos. 28/30–34 Folgate Street
(b) Nos. 22–30 Folgate Street
(c) Nos. 10–18 Folgate Street

61. (a) Norton Folgate Court House, Folgate Street. Photograph 1909
(b) No. 29 Folgate Street

62. (a) No. 36 Elder Street
(b) No. 30 Elder Street
(c) Nos. 26–36 Elder Street

63. (a) Nos. 5–23 Elder Street
(b) Nos. 21–23 Elder Street and 29 Folgate Street

64. (a) Nos. 10 and 11 Norton Folgate. Photograph 1909
(b) No. 1 Church (now Nantes) Passage. Photograph 1909

65. (a) Nos. 2–22 Fournier Street
(b) Nos. 13–39 Fournier Street

66. (a) No. 2 Fournier Street (Christ Church rectory)
(b) Nos. 4–12 Fournier Street

67. (a) No. 2 Fournier Street (Christ Church rectory), back elevation
(b) No. 4/6 Fournier Street, back elevation

68. No. 14 Fournier Street

69. (a) Nos. 29–39 Fournier Street
(b) Nos. 1–7 Fournier Street

70. (a) Nos. 12–22 Princelet Street
(b) Nos. 13–25 Princelet Street
(c) Nos. 24–26 Hanbury Street
(d) Nos. 1–7 Wilkes Street

71. (a) Nos. 17–25 Wilkes Street
(b) No. 6 Wilkes Street
(c) Nos. 59–85 Wilkes Street
(d) Nos. 20–26 Wilkes Street

72. (a) Fronts of Nos. 10–18 and backs of Nos. 17–25 Wilkes Street
(b) No. 36 Crispin Street. Photograph 1909
(c) No. 5 White's Row

73. (a) No. 16 Elder Street
(b) Nos. 10–11 Calvin Street
(c) Nos. 11–16 Fleur–de–lis Street
(d) Nos. 7–10 Blossom Street

74. (a) Shepherd's Place (now Tenter Ground) from White's Row. Photograph 1909
(b) Nos. 6–7 Spring Walk
(c) Loom Court, Blossom Street

75. (a) Nos. 58–64 Buxton Street
(b) Nos. 63–85 Buxton Street
(c) Nos. 1–13 Underwood Road
(d) Nos. 14–17 North Place

76. (a) Metropolitan Association Buildings, Underwood Road and Deal Street
(b) Nos. 11–14 Albert Cottages

77. (a) Peabody Buildings (Nos. 135–153), Commercial Street
(b) Perry's Avenue
(c) Nos. 37–51 Princelet Street
(d) Davis Avenue

78. Doorcases
(a) Nos. 16–18 Fournier Street
(b) Nos. 16–18 Fournier Street. Measured drawing by F. A. Evans
(c) No. 4 Fournier Street
(d) No. 4 Fournier Street. Measured drawing by R. G. Absolon

79. Doorcases
(a) No. 8 Fournier Street
(b) No. 8 Fournier Street. Measured drawing by F. A. Evans
(c) No. 15 Elder Street
(d) No. 15 Elder Street. Measured drawing by Mrs. G. Wilson

80. Doorcases
(a) No. 30 Elder Street
(b) No. 30 Elder Street. Measured drawing by F. A. Evans
(c) No. 32 Spital Square. Photograph 1909
(d) No. 39 Fournier Street

81. Doorcases
(a) No. 5 White's Row
(b) No. 5 White's Row. Measured drawing by A. H. Grogan
(c) No. 17 Spital Square
(d) No. 36 Elder Street

82. Doorcases
(a) No. 14 Fournier Street
(b) No. 14 Fournier Street. Measured drawing by F. A. Evans

83. Doorcases
(a) No. 20 Spital Square. Undated photograph in the National Buildings Record, reproduced by permission of B. T. Batsford Ltd.
(b) No. 20 Spital Square. Measured drawing by Mrs. G. Wilson

84. Shop-front
No. 56 Artillery Lane. Photograph 1908

85. Shop-front
No. 56 Artillery Lane. Measured drawing by A. H. Grogan

86. Shop-front
(a) No. 56 Artillery Lane, detail of entrance to the shop
(b) No. 56 Artillery Lane, detail of entrance to the house

87. No. 30 Spital Square
(a) Staircase and landing, 1882. From a drawing by J. P. Emslie dated 1882 in the Bishopsgate Institute
(b) First-floor room, 1882. From a drawing by J. P. Emslie dated 1882 in the Bishopsgate Institute

88. Halls
(a) No. 58 Artillery Lane
(b) No. 25 Spital Square. Photograph 1909

89. Halls
(a) Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane, corridor in the Directors' House
(b) No. 20 Spital Square. Photograph 1909

90. Domestic Interior
No. 56 Artillery Lane, first-floor back room. Photograph 1908

91. Domestic Interiors
(a) No. 56 Artillery Lane, first-floor front room. Photograph 1908
(b) No. 56 Artillery Lane, first-floor front room. Photograph 1908

92. Domestic Interiors
(a) No. 58 Artillery Lane, first-floor front room reassembled for exhibition at the Geffrye Museum. Undated photograph
(b) No. 25 Spital Square, first-floor front room. Photograph 1909

93. Domestic Interiors
(a) Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane, boardroom (formerly drawing-room)
(b) Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane, dining-room

94. Staircases
(a) No. 2 Fournier Street (Christ Church rectory). Photograph, Warburg Institute
(b) No. 4 Fournier Street
(c) No. 14 Fournier Street. Photograph 1909
(d) No. 22 Spital Square. Photograph 1909

95. Staircases
(a) No. 36 Crispin Street. Photograph 1909
(b) No. 40 Crispin Street. Undated photograph by the late Mr. F. A. Crallan
(c) No. 32 Spital Square. Photograph 1909
(d) No. 32 Spital Square. Photograph 1909

96. Woodwork details
(a) No. 25 Spital Square, first-floor landing. Photograph 1909
(b) No. 56 Artillery Lane, first-floor landing. Photograph 1908

97. Woodwork details
(a) No. 25 Spital Square, west door in entrance-hall. Photograph 1909
(b) No. 25 Spital Square, ground floor. Photograph 1909

98. Woodwork details
(a) Spitalfields Great Synagogue, formerly French Church, etc., Fournier Street
(b) No. 40 Crispin Street, first-floor back room. Undated photograph by the late Mr. F. A. Crallan

99. Woodwork details
(a) No. 8 Spital Square, overdoor. Photograph 1909
(b) No. 58 Artillery Lane, detail of chimney-piece, , first-floor front room. Photograph 1908 or earlier
(c) No. 58 Artillery Lane, chimneypiece, first-floor front room. Photograph 1908 or earlier

100. Wooden chimneypieces
(a) No. 30 Spital Square, first-floor back room, detail. Photograph 1908
(b) No. 30 Spital Square, second-floor front room. Photograph 1908
(c) No. 30 Spital Square, first-floor back room. Photograph 1908

101. Wooden chimneypieces
(a) No. 30 Spital Square, ground-floor front room. Photograph 1908
(b) No. 30 Spital Square, first-floor front room. Photograph 1908

102. Wooden and marble chimneypieces
(a) No. 56 Artillery Lane, second-floor front room. Photograph 1908
(b) No. 30 Elder Street, ground-floor front room. Photograph 1909
(c) No. 21 Spital Square, first-floor front room. Photograph 1909

103. Marble chimneypieces
(a) No. 40 Crispin Street, first-floor front room. Undated photograph by the late Mr. F. A. Crallan
(b) No. 20 Spital Square, first-floor front room. Photograph 1909
(c) Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane, boardroom (formerly drawing-room)

104. Plasterwork
No. 25 Spital Square, first-floor front room. Photograph 1913

105. Plasterwork
No. 25 Spital Square, ceiling over first-floor landing. Photograph 1909

106. Plasterwork
(a) No. 40 Crispin Street, detail, first-floor front room. Undated photograph by the late Mr. F. A. Crallan
(b) No. 25 Spital Square, staircase soffit. Photograph 1909
(c) No. 40 Crispin Street, detail, first-floor front room. Undated photograph by the late Mr. F. A. Crallan
(d) No. 25 Spital Square, vertical panel at first-floor landing. Photograph 1909
(e) No. 40 Crispin Street, corner detail, first-floor front room. Undated photograph by the late Mr. F. A. Crallan

107. Plasterwork
No. 21 Spital Square, first-floor front room. Photograph 1909

108. Plasterwork
(a) Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane, boardroom (formerly drawing-room)
(b) No. 58 Artillery Lane, first-floor front room



<--Previous:
Preface