Nobility resident in, or connected with, the County.
Seymour, Duke of Somerset. — This noble family first became connected with Devonshire in consequence of the Protector Somerset's
purchase of the castle and manor of Berry Pomeroy, in the reign of
Edward VI. Edward his son, by his first wife, the co-heiress of Fillol,
having inherited this estate, under his father's will, resided at Berry
Pomeroy, and was sheriff of Devonshire in 1582. In the inquisition taken
after his death, in 1593, he is styled Edward Seymour, Knt., Lord
Seymour. Edward his son, by the heiress of Welsh, was created a baronet
in 1611, and died in 1613. Sir Edward Seymour, his great-grandson,
the fourth baronet, was a distinguished member of the house of Commons,
of which he was sometime speaker: he moved the impeachment of the
Earl of Clarendon, and was one of the chief promoters of the Habeas
Corpus act. Sir Edward at several times filled the offices of treasurer,
and one of the commissioners of the navy, and comptroller of the Household. Francis his son, by his second wife, was created Lord Conway,
and was ancestor of the marquis of Hertford. Sir Edward Seymour, the
sixth baronet, grandson of the last-mentioned Sir Edward, upon the death
of Algernon, Duke of Somerset, in 1750, succeeded to the titles of Baron
Seymour and Duke of Somerset, and was grandfather of the present
Duke (fn. 1) who occasionally resides at Berry Pomeroy.
Arms: — Quarterly, 1 and 4, Azure, three lions of England, (being
an augmentation, granted by King Henry VIII. on his marriage with
Jane Seymour,) 2 and 3, G. two wings conjoined in lure, the tips downwards, Or.
Crest: — Out of a ducal coronet, Or, a phœnix in flames, Proper, with
wings expanded, of the first.
Supporters: — On the dexter side an unicorn, Arg. maned Or, and
gorged with a ducal coronet Az., to which is affixed a chain, Or; on the
sinister a bull, Az., maned, collared and chained, as the dexter supporter.
Russell, Duke of Bedford. — John Lord Russell, afterwards created
Earl of Bedford, had a grant of the site of Tavistock abbey, with the
whole of its rich demesnes, and other valuable estates in this county.
William, the fifth Earl, was, in 1694, created Marquis of Tavistock and
Duke of Bedford. Before the civil war, the Earls of Bedford had occasionally resided at Bedford House in Exeter, built on the site of the
Blackfriers, of which Lord Russell had a grant. We do not find that
this noble family had any residence in this county for more than a century
past, till the present Duke built a spacious mansion in the cottage style, at
Endsleigh, in the parish of Milton Abbot.
Arms: — Argent, a lion rampant G., on a chief S., 3 escallops of the
Crest: — On a wreath, a goat passant Argent, attired Or.
Supporters: — On the dexter side a lion, on the sinister an antelope,
both G., the latter gorged with a ducal coronet, chained, armed, tufted,
and hoofed, Or.
Percy, Duke of Northumberland. — Sir Hugh Smithson, who, on succeeding to the Earldom of Northumberland, at the death of his father-in-law, Algernon Duke of Somerset, took the name of Percy by act of
parliament, and was afterwards created Duke of Northumberland, purchased
Werrington, in this county, in the year 1775. It has since been the
occasional residence of this noble family, and belongs to the present Duke.
Arms: — Quarterly, 1 and 4; quarterly, 1 and 4, Or, a lion rampant,
Az., being the armorial bearing of the ancient family of Brabant, 2 and 3
G., 3 luces or pikes for Lucy: the second and third principal quarters,
Az., five fusils in fesse for Percy.
Crest: — On a chapeau G. turned up Erm., a lion passant Azure, his
Supporters: — On the dexter side a lion, Azure: on the sinister an
unicorn, Arg., collared, gobony, Or, and Az., with a chain appendant and
reflecting over his back, Or.
Edgecumbe, Earl Mount Edgecumbe. — The ancestors of this noble
family were originally of Eggescombe, now called Lower Edgecumbe,
in the parish of Milton Abbot, where Richard Edgecumbe, Esq., the
lineal descendant of the elder branch, still resides. In the reign of
Edward III. William de Eggescombe married the heiress of Cothele, in
consequence of which marriage the immediate ancestors of Lord Mount
Edgecumbe resided some time at Cothele, or Coteel, in Cornwall. They
became possessed of Mount Edgecumbe, their present seat, (then called
East Stonehouse,) and a large landed property in the neighbourhood of
Plymouth, by the marriage of Sir Piers Edgecumbe with the heiress of
Durnford: Richard Edgecumbe, Esq., the immediate descendant of Sir
Piers, was, in 1742, created Baron Edgecumbe, of Mount Edgecumbe.
In 1781 his younger son, George, the third Lord Mount Edgecumbe,
(having succeeded his elder brother in 1761) was created Viscount Mount
Edgecumbe and Valletort, and, in 1789, Earl Mount Edgecumbe. Mount
Edgecumbe is now the seat of his son Richard, Earl Mount Edgecumbe,
Lord Lieutenant of the county of Cornwall.
Arms: — G. on a bend Ermines, cottised Or, 3 boars' heads couped,
Crest: — On a wreath Or, and G., a boar passant, Arg., about the neck
a chaplet of oak leaves, fructed, Proper.
Supporters: — On each side a greyhound, Arg., gutteé de poix, collared
dove tail double, Gules.
Fortescue, Earl Fortescue. — The common ancestor of this ancient
and widely spreading family, appears to have settled at Wymondeston, or
Wimpston, in the parish of Modbury, at a period not much subsequent to
the Conquest. (fn. 2) William Fortescue, the fourth in descent from the first
possessor of Wimpston, married a co-heiress of Delaport; his grandson, of
the same name, married a co-heiress of Beauchamp, of Ryme in Somersetshire, by whom he had two sons; William, and Sir John Fortescue,
Captain of Meaux. William was ancestor of the Fortescues of Wimpston (fn. 3) ,
Preston and Spriddleston, all extinct in the male line. Sir John Fortescue
was ancestor of the Fortescues of Shipham, Wood, Fallopit (fn. 4) , WeareGiffard, Filleigh, and Buckland Filleigh, all in Devonshire; and those of
Pulesbourn, in Hertfordshire, Fulbourn, in Essex, and Salden, in Buckinghamshire. All these, except the Fortescues of Weare-Giffard and
Filleigh, and those of Buckland Filleigh (fn. 5) , are also extinct in the male
line of the elder branch.
Hugh, Earl Fortescue, the present male representative of this ancient
family, is descended from Sir John Fortescue, the learned chief justice
and chancellor of England, in the reign of Henry VI. The Chancellor
is in some pedigrees represented as the son of Sir Henry Fortescue, chief
justice of Ireland, but in others, which seem to correspond better with
dates, as younger brother of Sir Henry, and a younger son of Sir John
Fortescue, Captain of Meaux. Martin Fortescue, son of the Chancellor,
married the heiress of Denzell, or Densell, of Weare-Giffard, representative, through the Trewens, of the ancient family of Giffard. Arthur,
the seventh in descent from Martin, married a co-heiress of Elford of
Shipstor, by one of the co-heiresses of Copleston. His son and heir,
Hugh, having married the only daughter of Hugh Boscawen, by Margaret,
daughter and co-heiress of Theophilus, Earl of Lincoln; Hugh, his son,
succeeded to the barony of Clinton, in right of his mother, in 1721, and
was, in 1746, created Earl of Clinton, and Baron Fortescue, of Castlehill, with remainder of the barony to his half brother, Matthew. Upon
the Earl of Clinton's death, the barony of Clinton (fn. 6) devolved upon his
sister, Margaret, who died without issue, and the barony of Fortescue
on Matthew Fortescue above mentioned, whose son, Hugh, was created
Earl Fortescue, and Viscount Ebrington in 1789, and is the present representative of the Fortescue family. His Lordship is Lord Lieutenant of
the county, and resides at Castle-hill.
Edmund, a younger son of Hugh Fortescue, Esq., of Filleigh, who
died in 1661, having married the daughter of Henry Aland, Esq., of
Waterford: his son, Sir John Fortescue Aland, one of the justices of the
Common Pleas, was created Baron Fortescue of Credan, in the kingdom
of Ireland, which title became extinct in 1781. The Fortescues of
Penwarne in Cornwall, extinct by the death of John Fortescue, Esq., in
1776, were a younger branch of the Fortescues of Filleigh.
Arms of Fortescue, Earl Fortescue: — Azure, a bend engrailed, Arg.
Crest: — On a wreath a plain shield, Arg.
Supporters: — Two greyhounds, Arg., each having a ducal collar and
Parker, Earl of Morley. — The family of Parker resided for several
generations at North Molton. Thomas, the first mentioned in the
pedigree, married the heiress of Frye, of Frye's-hall in Hatherleigh:
John, his son, married the heiress of Ellicott, of Bratton; Edmund, his
grandson, the heiress of Smyth of Essex; John, son of Edmund, who
married the heiress of Mewe, or Mayhew, of Boringdon, was sheriff of
the county in 1575, and died in 1610. John Parker, Esq., the fifth in
descent from the last-mentioned John, having several times represented
the county of Devon in parliament, was, in 1784, created Baron Boringdon. His son John, the second and present Lord Boringdon, was, in 1815,
advanced to the dignity of Viscount Boringdon of North Molton, and
Earl of Morley, in this county. His Lordship's principal seat is at
Saltram, in the parish of Plympton St. Mary.
Arms: — Sable, a stag's head caboshed, between two flaunches, Arg.
Crest: — On a wreath an arm erect, vested Azure, cuff Arg. the hand
holding the attire of a stag, Proper.
Supporters: — On the dexter side a stag, Argent, on the sinister a greyhound regardant, Sable, each collared Or, and thereto antique shields
appendant G., that on the dexter charged with a horse's head couped Arg.
bridled, Or, that on the dexter with a ducal coronet, Or.
Courtenay, Viscount Courtenay. — This ancient and noble family took
its name from the town of Courtenay in France, and had been from a
very remote period connected with the royal family of that kingdom.
Reginald de Courtenay, the immediate ancestor of the English branch,
came over into this country with King Henry II., in the year 1151, and
having married the heiress of Robert de Abrincis, or Averinches, hereditary sheriff of Devon, Baron of Oakhampton, and governor of the
castle of Exeter, his eldest son Robert succeeded to these honours of his
maternal grandfather, and married a daughter (and eventually heiress) of
William de Redvers, Earl of Devon. His son and grandson did not enjoy
the title, although it was their inheritance, but were only Barons of Oakhampton. Hugh, his great-grandson, was summoned to parliament, in
1335, as Earl of Devonshire, by reason of his descent from the daughter
of William de Redvers.
Sir Hugh Courtenay, eldest son of the second earl, was a distinguished
military character, and one of the original Knights of the Garter; his
younger brother, Sir Peter, was distinguished also as a military officer;
another brother, William, was Archbishop of Canterbury, and Chancellor
of the University of Oxford. Sir Hugh Courtenay, and his son of the
same name, who grew up to manhood, having died before the second
Earl; Edward Courtenay, elder son of Edward, the next brother of
Sir Hugh, succeeded as third Earl of Devonshire.
Thomas, sixth Earl of Devonshire, was taken prisoner at the battle of
Towton, and beheaded at York in 1462; his brother Henry, the succeeding earl, was attainted and beheaded at Salisbury in 1466. John, a
younger brother, who had been restored to the title in 1470, was slain at
the battle of Tewksbury: dying without issue, the elder branch of this
noble family became extinct.
In 1485 Sir Edward Courtenay, grandson of Sir Hugh, a younger
brother of Edward, the third Earl of Devonshire, was created Earl of
Devonshire, and was the ninth Earl of that family. William, his son, the
tenth Earl, married Catherine, youngest daughter of King Edward IV.
Henry, his son, the eleventh Earl, was, in 1525, created Marquis of
Exeter. In 1538 he was tried for high treason, convicted and executed:
his son Edward, who, in 1553, had been restored to the Earldom of
Devonshire, died without issue in 1556, on which event the descendants
of the four daughters (fn. 7) of Sir Hugh Courtenay, of Boconnoc in Cornwall,
sisters of Edward, the ninth Earl of Devonshire, became heirs general of
the elder branch of this noble family.
The immediate ancestor of the Powderham branch was Sir Philip
Courtenay, sixth son of Hugh, second Earl of Devonshire. Richard, the
eldest son of Philip, was Bishop of Norwich, and Chancellor of the
University of Oxford. Sir Philip Courtenay, nephew and heir of the
Bishop, was born in 1404: he had several sons (fn. 8) , the elder of whom,
Sir William, was of Powderham. Sir William, his great grandson, died
in 1535: Sir William Courtenay, the sixth in descent from the last-mentioned Sir William, was created a baronet before the Restoration, but
never assumed the title. Sir William Courtenay, the third baronet, was,
in 1762, created Viscount Courtenay of Powderham, and was grandfather
of William, the present Viscount, who resides abroad. Powderham castle,
the seat of the family, is kept up.
Arms of Courtenay, Earl of Devonshire: — Or, three torteauxes with a
label of three.
Crest: — A plume of feathers, Arg. one, two, and three, issuing from a
Arms borne by Viscount Courtenay: — Quarterly 1 and 4, Or, three
torteauxes, 2 and 3, Or, a lion rampant, Azure.
Crest: — A dolphin naiant, Arg.
Supporters: — Two boars, Arg., bristled, tusked, and hoofed, Or.
Addington, Viscout Sidmouth. — The Right Honourable Henry Addington, who was created Viscount Sidmouth in 1805, possesses the
manor of Up-Ottery in this county, and occasionally resides in the manorhouse. There was an ancient family of this name at High Bickington
in Devon, extinct in its principal branch in 1668, which bore arms nearly
similar to those now borne by Lord Sidmouth.
Arms: — Per pale Erm. and Sab., a chevron charged with four lozenges
counterchanged between three fleurs-de-lis counterchanged.
Crest: — A mountain-cat on a wreath, holding a shield within its paws,
charged with a lozenge.
Supporters: — Two stags, Proper, each encircled round the neck with
a chain, to which a key is pendant.
Pellew, Viscount Exmouth. — Sir Edward Pellew, who had been long
distinguished for his gallant services, was, in 1814, created Baron
Exmouth, of Canon-Teign, and in 1816, after his glorious and successful
expedition against Algiers, Viscount Exmouth. His Lordship, who is
G. C. B., resides at Teignmouth: the old mansion of Canon-Teign, purchased in 1812, is occupied by the tenant of the demesne, but a few
rooms are kept for the occasional residence of the family.
Arms, with the augmentation, as granted after the expedition to
Algiers in 1816: — Gules, a lion passant gardant; in chief two civic
wreaths, Or. On a chief wavy A. in front of a city, intended to represent
that of Algiers; a range of batteries flanked on the sinister by a circular
fortified castle, with triple battlements, Proper; thereon two flags displayed,
the one barry wavy, Or, and G., (indicative of the presence of the Dey of
Algiers within the said castle,) and the other of the last; on the dexter
and abreast of the said batteries, a ship of the line, bearing the flag of an
Admiral of the Blue squadron moored, also Proper, in allusion to the
situation of His Majesty's ship, the Charlotte, at the moment of the
attack upon the said city, with the motto Algiers.
Crest: — The stern of a ship with part of the foremast and bowsprit
standing and appearing as a wreck, on a rock, the waves breaking round
her, Proper; on the stern the word Dutton, to commemorate the circumstance of Lord Exmouth having saved the Dutton East Indiaman, off
Supporters: — On the dexter side a lion gardant, Or, navally crowned
Azure, his sinister paw resting on an increscent Arg., and on the sinister
side a figure, designed to represent a Christian slave, naked from the waist
upwards, holding in his dexter hand a cross, Or; and in his sinister hand
his fetters broken, Proper.
Trefusis, Baron Clinton and Say. — It has been already stated, in the
History of Cornwall, that the ancient barony of Clinton was, in 1794,
adjudged to George William Trefusis, Esq., he being the fourth in descent
from Francis Trefusis, Esq., who married the heiress of Robert Rolle,
Esq., of Heanton Sachville, in this county, by the elder co-heiress of
Theophilus, Earl of Lincoln, and Baron Clinton and Say. The barony
being in abeyance between the daughters of this Earl, was given by King
George I. in 1721, to Hugh Fortescue, son and heir of Hugh Fortescue,
Esq., of Filleigh, by Bridget, sole heiress of Hugh Boscawen, Esq., who had
married another of the Earl of Lincoln's co-heiresses, and, in 1746, the
said Hugh Fortescue, was created Baron Fortescue and Earl Clinton. On
his Lordship's decease without issue, in 1751, the Barony of Clinton and
Say devolved to Margaret, only daughter of Samuel Rolle, Esq., then
recently become the widow of Robert Walpole, the second Earl of Orford.
After the death of her son, George, Earl of Orford, in 1791, without issue,
the barony of Clinton was claimed by Mr. Trefusis, and adjudged as above
mentioned. It is now vested in his son, Robert Cotton St. John Trefusis.
Lord Clinton has lately purchased Huish, some time the seat of Sir James
Norcliffe Innes, Bart. (now Duke of Roxburgh); Heanton, which was the
seat of the Countess of Orford, and of the last Earl, is in a dilapidated state.
Arms of Trefusis: — Arg. a chevron between three wharrow spindles,
Sable, borne by Lord Clinton, quartered with Rolle, Clinton, and Fiennes.
Crest: — A griffin seiant, Or, resting his dexter foot on a shield, Arg.
Supporters: — Two greyhounds, Arg. plain collared and leashed, Gules.
Petre, Baron Petre. — Sir John Petre, created Baron Petre, of Writtle,
in Essex, in 1603, was son of Sir William Petre, Secretary of State, a
younger brother of John Petre, or Peter, of Tor-Bryan, in Devonshire.
The Secretary, who was a native of Exeter, died seised of seven manors in
Devonshire. The greater part of the Devonshire estate has been sold by
his descendant, William Francis Henry, the present Lord Petre, but he still
retains the manor of Axminster and other landed property in this county.
Arms: — G. a bend, Or, between two escallop shells, Ar.
Crest: — On a wreath, two lions' heads erased and addorsed; the first,
Or, the other, Az. each charged with a plain collar counterchanged.
Supporters: — On the dexter side, a lion regardant, Az. collared, Or,
on the sinister, a lion regardant, Or, collared, Azure.
Clifford, Baron Clifford, of Chudleigh. — This noble house is descended
from Sir Lewis Clifford, K. G., a younger brother of Thomas Lord Clifford (fn. 9) ,
ancestor of the Earls of Cumberland. The family appears to have become
first connected with Devonshire, by the marriage of Thomas Clifford, great
grandson of Sir Lewis, who died in 1404, with a daughter of John Thorpe
of Kings Teignton. Anthony Clifford, Esq., great grandson of Thomas,
married a co-heiress of Sir Peter Courtenay of Ugbrook. His eldest son,
Henry, was ancestor of the Cliffords of Kings Teignton, whose heiress
married Colonel Hugh Bamfylde. Thomas, younger son of Anthony
Clifford, settled at Ugbrook, and married the heiress of Staplehill. His
grandson, Sir Thomas Clifford, was, in 1672, created Baron Clifford of
Chudleigh, and the same year made Lord High Treasurer of England: he
married a co-heiress of Martyn of Lindridge. The Lord Treasurer was a
patron of Dryden, who is said to have been a frequent visitor at Ugbrook. (fn. 10)
Hugh, third Lord Clifford, (who succeeded an elder brother,) married a coheiress of Sir Thomas Preston, a Lancashire baronet, and was grandfather
of Charles, the present and seventh Lord Clifford, who resides at Ugbrook.
Arms: — Checky, Or, and Az., a fesse, G.
Crest: — Out of a ducal coronet, Or, a wyvern rising, Gules.
Supporters: — On the dexter side, a wyvern, with wings expanded,
Gules; on the sinister, a monkey, Proper; environed about the loins, and
King, Baron King. — Peter King, some time Lord High Chancellor of
England, created Baron King, in 1725, was a native of Exeter, and on the
mother's side nephew of the celebrated John Locke. He had four sons
who successively inherited the title: the elder married the heiress of Frye
of Yarty, in Devon, who brought that estate into the family. Peter, the
present Lord King, possesses Yarty, but the mansion has not been for
some time inhabited by the family.
Arms: — Sable, three spears' heads, Arg., the points sanguine; on a
chief, Or; as many battle-axes, Azure.
Crest: — On a wreath, a dexter arm, couped at the elbow, habited, Az.
adorned with three spots, Or, the cuff turned up; grasping a truncheon of
a spear, S. the head, Arg.
Supporters: — Two English mastiffs regardant, Proper, each having a
plain collar, Gules.
Dunning, Baron Ashburton. — John Dunning, Esq., a native of Ashburton, having distinguished himself by great professional abilities, was in
1767 made Solicitor-General, and in 1782, created Baron Ashburton.
His Lordship resided chiefly at Speechwick, in the parish of Withecombin-the-Moor, having taken a long lease of that estate, which will expire in
1845. His widow built a mansion at Sandridge, in Stoke Gabriel, now
the property of his son, Richard Barré, the present Lord Ashburton,
who resides in Scotland.
Arms: — Bendy, sinister of eight, Or, and V., a lion rampant, Sable.
Crest: — On a wreath, an antelope's head couped, Proper, attired, Or.
Supporters: — Two antelopes, Proper, attired, hoofed, and charged on
the breast, with an acorn slipped, Proper, and gorged with collars, bendy
of eight, Or, and V.
Rolle, Baron Rolle. — The ancestor of Lord Rolle, settled in Devonshire, in the reign of Henry VIII., having made considerable purchases of
abbey lands, and among others the manor of Stevenstone, which he fixed
on for his residence. Sir Henry Rolle, grandson of George Rolle, Esq.,
who purchased Stevenstone, married the heiress of Watts, of Somersetshire;
his son, Sir Henry, married the heiress of Dennis, of Bicton and Holcombe Burnell, in this county, and had a son, Dennis Rolle, Esq., who
died in 1638, leaving an only son, who died in his infancy. Henry Rolle,
Esq. of Beam, near Torrington, being a nephew of the first-mentioned Sir
Henry, inherited the family estates, but died without issue in 1647, when
they devolved on John Rolle, Esq. of Marrais in Cornwall, grandson of
George Rolle, (second son of George first mentioned,) who married the
heiress of Marrais, of Marrais, and settled at that place. This John Rolle,
was afterwards K. B., and many years one of the representatives for this
county: he married one of the co-heiresses of his relation, Dennis Rolle,
Esq. of Bicton, and at the time of his death, in 1706, was possessed of
upwards of forty manors in Devonshire, besides large estates in Cornwall,
Somersetshire, and Northamptonshire. His great grandson, Henry Rolle,
Esq. was, in 1748, created Baron Rolle, of Stevenstone: dying unmarried,
in 1759, the title became extinct: it was revived in 1796, when his
nephew, John Rolle, Esq. was created a Peer, by the same style and title.
His Lordship's principal seats are at Stevenstone, near Great Torrington,
and at Bicton.
Henry, a younger son of George Rolle, Esq., first mentioned, having
married the heiress of Yeo of Heanton-Sachville, settled at Heanton, and
was ancestor of the Rolles of that place. Robert Rolle, great grandson of
Henry, and son of Sir Samuel Rolle of Heanton, married one of the coheiresses of Theophilus, Earl of Lincoln, in consequence of which marriage,
Margaret, the only daughter of his son Samuel, who had married Robert Walpole, the second Earl of Orford, became Baroness Clinton in her own right.
Dennis Rolle, younger brother of Robert above mentioned, was settled
at Hudscot, in Chittlehampton; his grandson died without issue, and
bequeathed Hudscot to the present Lord Rolle's father. Henry, a younger
brother of Sir Samuel Rolle above mentioned, was Lord Chief Justice of
the King's Bench, at the time of King Charles the First's death, and continued in that high office during the government of the Commonwealth;
his posterity became extinct after three generations.
Arms of Rolle, Baron Rolle: — Or, on a bar dauncettee, between three
delves, Az. charged with as many lions rampant of the first, three bezants.
Crest: — An arm couped, Az. the hand, Or, holding a flint, Proper.
Supporters: — On either side a leopard regardant, Gules, spotted, Or,
each crowned with a coronet flory of the second.
The earls of Dartmouth and Plymouth take their titles from those celebrated sea-ports, but the families have no other connection with the county.
The Earl of Ilchester possesses estates in this county, by descent from the
Wadhams, and Earl Stanhope, by inheritance from the earls of Londonderry, but neither of them have any residence in the county.
Irish Peers connected with Devonshire.
Vaughan, Earl of Lisburne. — The father of the present Earl became
possessed of Mamhead, in consequence of having married to his first wife
the heiress of Nightingale. The property of Mamhead devolved to the
present owner, John, Earl of Lisburne, on the death of his half-brother
Wilmot, the fourth Earl, in 1820. Wilmot, the third Earl, resided at
Mamhead: it is now in the occupation of a tenant.
Arms of Vaughan, Earl of Lisburne: — Sable, a chevron, between
three fleurs-de-lis, Argent.
Crest: — On a wreath an armed arm, bent at the elbow, brandishing a
fleur-de-lis, all Proper.
Supporters: — On the dexter side, a dragon, with wings expanded,
regardant, Vert, gorged with a plain collar, Sable, edged, Argent, charged
with three fleurs-de-lis, as in the coat, having a gold chain thereto affixed;
on the sinister side an unicorn regardant, Argent, the mane, horn, tufts,
and hoofs, Or, gorged and chained as the dexter.
Graves, Baron Graves. — The present Lord Graves, who resides at
Bishops Court, in the parish of Farringdon, is son of Thomas Graves,
Admiral of the Blue, who was created a Peer of Ireland, in 1794, for his
services in Earl Howe's victory over the French fleet.
Arms: — G. an eagle displayed, Or, crowned, beaked and taloned, Arg.
on a canton of the last, an anchor erect with fluke, Sable.
Crest: — A demi-eagle displayed, Or, each wing charged with an Ermine
spot; the body encircled by a ducal coronet, Arg.
Supporters: — Two vultures, Proper.
Shore, Baron Teignmouth. — Sir John Shore, some time GovernorGeneral of Bengal, when created a Peer of Ireland, in 1797, took the title
of Teignmouth. He is son of Thomas Shore, Esq. of Melton, in the
county of Suffolk, and descended from Sir John Shore, an eminent physician at Derby, in the reign of Charles II.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, S. between three holly leaves, Vert.
Crest: — A stork regardant, Arg. holding in the dexter claw a pellet.