Oakford, or Okeford
OAKFORD, or OKEFORD, in the hundred of Witheridge and in the
deanery of South Molton, lies about nine miles from Tiverton, and two
and a half from Bampton.
The manor belonged anciently to the Montacutes, earls of Salisbury,
of whom it was purchased by Sir Lewis Pollard, one of the justices of
the Common Pleas, in the reign of Henry VII. His great-grandson, Sir
Hugh, sold it to Richard Spurway, Esq., of Tavistock, a younger brother
of the Spurway family. After the death of Henry Spurway, Esq., in
1680, this estate was divided between co-heiresses. A fourth is now vested in
Mr. R. H. Parkin, descended from one of the co-heiresses; the remainder,
which in 1773 belonged to the Rev. Mr. Sanford, is now the property of
James Hay, Esq.
The manor of Spurway, in this parish, has been, from an early period,
in the Spurway family, and is now the property of the Rev. John
Spurway, of Barnstaple. The manor-house, which was the seat of the
elder branch of the Spurways, is now occupied by the farmer of the
estate. Grede, in this parish, appears to have been the original residence
of the Spurways, who, in the reign of Henry III., were described as
Grede alias Spurway.
Mrs. Gertrude Pyncombe, in 1730, gave 5l. per annum for teaching poor
children of this parish.
Hightleigh St. Mary, an extraparochial place, where was formerly a
chapel, adjoins to Oakford. The manor belongs to the Right Honourable
Lord Rolle, in whose family it has been for a considerable time.
Oakhampton, or Okehampton
OAKHAMPTON, or OKEHAMPTON, in the deanery of that name and in
the hundred of Lifton, is an ancient market and borough-town, 22 miles
from Exeter, and 198 from London. The villages of Chissacot and
Meldon are in this parish, and the hamlet of Kigbear, which is in the
hundred of Black Torrington.
The market is on Saturday, by prescription. There are six fairs; the
second Tuesday after March 11.; May 14.; the first Wednesday after
July 6.; August 5.; the first Tuesday after September 11.; and the first
Wednesday after October 11. There is a great cattle-market on the
Saturday before Christmas; and on the Saturday after Christmas a great
holiday-fair, called a giglet.
Oakhampton sent members to parliament in the reign of Edward I. and
Edward II. This long dormant privilege was restored in the reign of
Charles I. The right of election is vested in freeholders and freemen by
servitude, or their eldest sons. The present number of electors is about
Oakhampton was incorporated by King James I. in 1623, and the
charter was confirmed in 1684. The body corporate consists of a mayor,
and seven other capital burgesses, eight assistants, a recorder, town-clerk,
&c. A manufacture of serges was formerly carried on in this town, but
it has been discontinued. The number of inhabitants in the town and
parish, in 1801, was 1430; in 1811, 1440, according to the returns made
to parliament at those periods.
During the civil war, Oakhampton was occasionally the quarters of each
of the contending parties, but seldom more than a temporary station.
Prince Maurice was there on the 17th of July, 1644. (fn. 1) The King was
there on the 30th of July, and on the 16th of September. (fn. 2) Sir Richard
Grenville was quartered at Oakhampton in December, 1645, with a considerable force, and had barricadoed the town; but, on the approach of
Sir Thomas Fairfax's army, suddenly quitted his post, and retreated into
Cornwall. (fn. 3) Sir Thomas Fairfax was at Oakhampton again in the month
of March, 1646.
William the Conqueror gave to Baldwin de Sap, or de Brioniis, the
honor or barony of Oakhampton. Richard, his son, inherited the barony,
but dying without issue, it passed to Ralph Avenell, son of Emma, his second
sister, the elder having had no issue. This Ralph having fallen under
the displeasure of King Henry II. was dispossessed of his barony, which
was given to Matilda, daughter of the said Emma by her second husband,
William D'Averinches. Hawise, daughter of Matilda D'Averinches, by
her husband the Lord of Aincourt, brought the barony of Oakhampton
to William de Courtenay, son of Reginald, who came over into England
with Eleanor, Queen of Henry II. The barony continued, without
interruption, in the Courtenay family till the reign of Edward IV., when
it was forfeited, together with the earldom of Devon. King Henry VII.
restored the honors and estates to the Courtenay family, afterwards advanced
to a marquisate: they were again forfeited by the Marquis of Exeter: the
estates and the earldom were again restored. After the death of the last
Earl of Devon, in 1556, the estates were divided among the co-heiresses,
married to Arundell of Talvern, Trethurfe, Mohun (fn. 4) , and Trelawney.
Sir Francis Vyvyan, one of the representatives of Trethurfe, possessed an
eighth so late as 1743. Another eighth was, for nearly a century, in the
family of Northmore: it afterwards passed to Luxmoore, and from Luxmoore
to Holland. One-fourth was some time in the family of Coxe. The Mohuns,
who possessed one-fourth by inheritance, acquired another fourth and the
site of the castle. These two-fourths of the manor came, by purchase, to
the Pitts, who possessed them for many years. Lord Clive became possessed
of these and another fourth by purchase. The whole, I believe, was
purchased by Lord Clive, and was successively in the possession of his
present Majesty, then Prince of Wales, and of Henry Holland, Esq. The
present proprietor is Albany Savile, Esq., M. P. Mr. Savile is building a
mansion for his residence, of Grecian architecture, a short distance from
the town, to which he has given the name of Oaklands. The hundreds of
Hayridge, Wonford, and West Budleigh, are still attached to the manor.
The barons of Oakhampton were hereditary sheriffs of Devon, and
keepers of the castle of Exeter, till the reign of Edward III. They held
eight manors in demesne, in which they had the power of life and death;
they had also several advowsons, and the patronage of the abbey of Ford
and the priory of Cowick. They held also three fees of the see of Exeter,
and were stewards to the bishops at their enthronization, being entitled to
all the vessels with which they were served at the first course. Ninetytwo fees were held of this great barony.
About half a mile from Oakhampton are the ruins of the castle, which
was the ancient seat of the barons. The park was disparked and alienated
by King Henry VIII., at the instance of Sir Richard Pollard. In Sir
William Pole's time it was the inheritance of Mary, daughter of Sir John
Fitz, whose ancestor had purchased it after the attainder of the Marquis
of Exeter. It is now the property of Charles Luxmoore, Esq., who possesses also the manors of Halstock and Meldon, which were purchased a
few years ago of Lord Viscount Courtenay. (fn. 5) The manor of Kigbear
is the property of John Newton, Esq., who purchased it, about the year
1806, of Partridge.
Oakhampton church is situated on a hill above the town: having been
rebuilt, it was consecrated, in 1261 (fn. 6) , but the greater part of the present
structure is of later date. In this church are monuments of Tomasia,
wife of Peter Godolphin, 1608; John Hayne, Esq., (a native of Oakhampton, sent up to London by charity, and eventually registrar of the
diocese of Canterbury,) ob. 1719; Henry Luxmoore, surgeon, 1801; and
John Eastabrooke, Esq., commander of the London East Indiaman, 1804.
In the town is a chapel, belonging to the corporation, in which Divine
service is performed at the Quarter Sessions, and on some other public
occasions. There was formerly a chapel at Halstock.
The great tithes of this parish, which had been appropriated to the
priory of Cowick, are now vested in Arthur Holdsworth, Esq. The
advowson of the vicarage was lately vested in the trustees of the will of
the late Rev. Aaron Hole, by whom it has been sold to Albany Savile, Esq.
The Independent Calvinists have a meeting-house at Oakhampton.
At Brightley, in this parish, was an abbey, founded by Richard de
Rivers, Earl of Devon, and afterwards removed by his sister and heir
to Ford, in the parish of Thorncomb. On the site are the ruins of a
chapel, now the property of Mr. Savile.
Mr. Richard Harragro, in 1623, gave 50l. for the endowment of a freeschool at Oakhampton. There is still a school-room and a house for the
master; but the funds are wholly lost, and no master has of late years been
There are two charity-schools, containing together 75 children, supported by subscription and a funded property of about 250l., gradually
raised by surplus balances. The children are clothed chiefly by the
benevolence of Albany Savile, Esq., and Mr. Huyshe, the present vicar.
Monk Oakhampton, or Okehampton
MONK OAKHAMPTON, or OKEHAMPTON, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of Oakhampton, lies two miles and a half
from Hatherleigh, and about eight from Oakhampton. The small village
of Burrows is in this parish.
It is probable that, at a very remote period, the manor had belonged to
some monastery. At the time of the survey of Domesday, the manor of
Monacochamtone belonged to Baldwin de Brioniis, lord of the barony of
Oakhampton, who then held it in demesne. In the reign of Henry III.
this manor belonged to the family of Langford, from whom it passed by
successive female heirs to De la Mare, De la Grave, Ancell, and Salle.
The latter possessed it in the reign of Henry VI. The co-heiresses of
Salle married Berry and Pyne. It was some time in the family of Clevland, and is now the property of Mr. Samuel Piper, who possesses also
the barton of Wood.
In the parish-church is a memorial for Mr. Robert Rolle, 1735. Sir
Stafford Northcote, Bart., is patron of the rectory.
OFFWELL, in the hundred of Colyton and in the deanery of Honiton,
lies two miles and a half from Honiton. Part of the village of Wilmington is in this parish.
Offwell gave name to a family, who, at an early period, possessed the
manor, and whose co-heiresses married Park (or De Parco) and Orway.
These families had two-thirds, and Roger de Vere the remaining third of
the manor. Park's share passed to Courtenay, and by marriage to
Dinham. Vere's share passed through the families of Mules, Gilbert,
and Norbury, to Lord Bray; Orway's was subdivided into parcels. At a
later period, the family of Collins was settled for some descents at Offwell,
and possessed the manor: the heiress of this family appears to have
married Southcote. The manor has since been dismembered, and no
manerial rights are now exercised in the parish.
The barton of Colwell gave name to a family which possessed it for six
generations; it afterwards passed successively to Park and Courtenay, and
through the Peverells and Hungerfords to the Earl of Huntingdon, who
sold it to Collins. East Colwell now belongs to Mr. Inglett Fortescue, in
right of his wife, one of the co-heiresses of Marwood. West Colwell,
which had been several years in the Southcote family, has recently been
purchased by the Rev. Dr. Copleston, Provost of Oriel College, in
Oxford. The Rolle family had a manor, or nominal manor, called
Culbeer, in this parish, which, in 1773, belonged to the Countess of
Orford. It is now the property of Lord Clinton.
The barton of Glanville belongs to Sir John Wilmot Prideaux, Bart.
In the parish-church are memorials of the families of Southcote and
Collins (fn. 7) , and the tomb of an ecclesiastic, with a cross flory. The Rev.
John Bradford Copleston is patron of the vicarage.
There is a charity-school here, supported by the rector and another
EAST OGWELL, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Kenne,
lies about a mile and a half from Newton Abbot.
The manor of East Ogwell was held under Ralph de Pomerai, at the
time of the Domesday survey, by William Pictavensis, or Peytevin, from
whose descendants it passed, by successive marriages, through the families
of Malston, Stighull, and Reynell (fn. 8) , to that of the present proprietor,
Pierce Joseph Taylor, Esq., who is patron also of the rectory. Holbeame,
in this parish, gave name to a family who possessed it for twelve generations; the heiress married Marwood, who sold Holbeame to Robert
Petre, Esq. Sir George Petre, the great nephew, sold it to John Peryam,
Esq., of Exeter. Mr. Peryam bequeathed it to Richard Reynell, Esq.,
of Creedy, whose daughter brought it to Sir Richard Reynell, of Ogwell.
It is now the property of Mr. Taylor.
Edward Reynell, rector of East Ogwell, who died in 1663, published
the life of Lucy Lady Reynell, who founded the widows' houses, "Eugenia's Tears for Britain's Glory," and other works.
Sir Richard Reynell gave two fields to this parish, now let at 10l. per
annum, out of which the burial-place of his family and certain poor-houses
were to be repaired, the remainder to be appropriated to the instruction
of poor children.
WEST OGWELL, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of
Kenne, lies about two miles from Newton Abbot.
The manor of West Ogwell was also in the Peytevins (fn. 9) , and is now the
property of Mr. Taylor; but it does not appear to have passed by the same
uninterrupted descent as that of East Ogwell. Sir William Pole says
that it was some time in the earls of Devon, of whom it was purchased
by the Reynells. West Ogwell house is the seat of P. J. Taylor, Esq.,
who is patron also of the rectory.
OTTERTON, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of Aylesbeare, lies on the river Otter, about three miles and a half from Sidmouth,
and six from Exmouth. The principal villages in the parish are Northmost-town, Pitson, Passford, and Pinn.
There are two yearly fairs at Otterton, Wednesday in Easter-week, and
October 11., if it fall on a Wednesday; if not, the first Wednesday afterwards.
The manor of Otterton was given by King William the Conqueror to
the monastery of St. Michael, in Normandy. King John founded here a
priory of four monks, subject to the monastery of St. Michael, and endowed it with the manors of Otterton, Sidmouth, and East Budleigh. These
monks were to celebrate Divine service, and distribute bread to the poor,
weekly, to the amount of 16s. (fn. 10) The priory and its lands, having been
seised as alien property, were granted by King Henry to the abbess and
convent of Sion. At the time of the dissolution, this priory was valued
at 87l. 10s., and was granted as parcel of the possession of the monastery
of Sion, in 1539, to Richard Duke, Esq., clerk of the augmentations, whose
ancestors had resided at Otterton ever since the reign of Edward III., and
probably had been lessees under the monastery. Otterton continued to be
the property and seat of the Dukes till the death of Richard Duke, Esq.,
in 1741. This gentleman bequeathed Otterton to his nephew, John Heath,
Esq., who took the name of Duke, and died without issue, in 1775. In
or about 1777, the manor of Otterton was purchased of his co-heirs by
Dennis Rolle, Esq., and is now the property of the Right Honourable
In the parish-church are some monuments of the family of Duke. (fn. 11) Lord
Rolle has the great tithes which had been appropriated to the priory, and
is patron of the vicarage. The vicar is entitled to the tithes of beans and
fish, all small tithes, and the land called the Sanctuary. The prior of Otterton had the right of pre-emption of fish in all his ports, and the choice
of the best fish. The prior claimed also every porpoise caught in the
fisheries, giving 12d. and a loaf of white bread to each sailor, and two to
the master; and the half of all dolphins. (fn. 12) When the church was appropriated to the priory of Otterton, there was a chapel at a place called Hederland, in this parish. (fn. 13)
Ottery St. Mary
OTTERY ST. MARY, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of
Aylesbeare, is a market-town, six miles from Honiton, thirteen from Exeter,
and 161 from London.
The market was granted in or about 1226, to the dean and chapter of
Rouen, to be held on Tuesday; together with a fair for two days, at the
festival of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. (fn. 14) The market is still held on
Tuesday for butchers' meat and other provisions: till of late years it was a
regular corn-market. There are now three fairs; Tuesday before Palm
Sunday; Tuesday after Trinity Sunday; and August 15. for cattle, &c.
There was formerly a considerable manufacture of serges at Ottery, but it
has much declined. There is still a large manufactory for spinning wool.
The number of inhabitants in the town and parish in 1801 was 2415;
in 1811, 2880, according to the returns made to Parliament at those
During the early part of the civil war, Ottery was occupied by the
King's forces, who retreated on the approach of Sir Thomas Fairfax with
his army, in the month of October, 1645. After having been quartered
some time round Exeter, the General made Ottery his head-quarters, from
the 15th of November till the 6th of December that year. A great mortality prevailing at this time at Ottery, eight or nine of the soldiers were
buried in a day; and Colonel Pickering, one of the most distinguished of
the parliamentary officers, fell a sacrifice to the sickness. (fn. 15)
The manor and hundred were given by King Edward the Confessor to
the cathedral church of St. Mary, at Rouen. John Grandisson, Bishop of
Exeter, having procured it of the dean and chapter of Rouen by exchange,
in 1334 (fn. 16) , founded here a college of secular priests, endowing it with the
manor and hundred, and the tithes of the whole parish. The college consisted of forty members; the four principal members, who ranked as
canons, or prebendaries, were called the warden, minister, precentor, and
sacristar: there were also four other canons, eight vicars-choral, or
priest-vicars, two other priests, ten clerks, eight choir-boys, and a master of
grammar. The canons were appointed by the Bishop of Exeter. (fn. 17)
Alexander Barclay, author of "The Ship of Fools," was a priest of this
college. When suppressed, in the reign of Henry VIII., its revenues were
estimated at 303l. 2s. 9d. clear yearly income. The site of the college was
granted to Edward, Earl of Hertford. (fn. 18) The manor of Ottery continued,
after this, many years in the crown. About the beginning of the seventeenth century it belonged to Burridge, whose heirs sold it to Yonge. It
was purchased of the late Sir George Yonge, Bart. and K. B., by the late
J. M. How, Esq., and is now the property of the Rev. Samuel How, subject
to a chief-rent, payable to the Earl of Hardwick. A considerable part of
the lands has been enfranchised. The warden's house and some of the
college lands are the property of the Rev. George Coleridge; the chantry
with the lands belonging to the warden and chanter belong to James
Knighteston, in this parish, gave name to a family, by whom, about the
year 1370, it was sold to Bittlesgate. After continuing a few descents in
that family, it was entailed on Lord Bonville, who enjoyed it notwithstanding a claim made by Anthony Widville, Earl Rivers, as next heir of Bittlesgate. Upon the attainder of the Duke of Suffolk, it fell to the crown.
It was afterwards purchased by William Sherman, Esq., whose family resided here for several descents. From them it passed by a female heir to
Copleston, and, by purchase, to Hawtrey: it is now the property of the
Rev. Dr. Drury, who purchased it of the trustees under the will of the late
Stephen Hawtrey, Esq., in 1803.
Thorne, in this parish, gave name to an ancient family, whose heiress
brought it to Coke. The Cokes continued here for many descents: the
barton was afterwards in severalties. It now belongs to the episcopal school
at Exeter; some part of it having been given by Messrs Rolfe, Vivian,
and Pitfield, and the remainder purchased in 1776.
Cadhay also gave name to a family whose heiress married John Haydon,
a bencher of Lincoln's Inn, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The Haydons continued here for several descents. Cadhay afterwards belonged to
William Peere Williams, Esq., barrister-at-law, author of the "Reports."
One of his co-heiresses married Admiral Thomas Graves, afterwards Lord
Graves, of the kingdom of Ireland; which title was bestowed upon him
for his gallant services in the memorable action of the 1st of June, 1794.
Lord Graves resided at Cadhay, and died there in 1802. His elder daughter brought Cadhay in marriage to William Bagwell, Esq. It is now the
property of Sir Thomas Hare, Bart.
Holcombe belonged to the Malherbes; afterwards to Moore: at a later
period, it was, for some descents, the property and residence of the Eveleighs. It now belongs to Captain Charles Grant, R. N.
Ash was successively in the families of De Lupo or Wolfe, Treley, and
Bonville. After the attainder of the Duke of Suffolk, it was granted to
Walrond. It has since been in the family of Bennet, and is now the property of the Rev. Thomas Putt.
The barton of Bishops Court, said to have been the seat of Bishop
Grandisson, having been held on lease by the family of Mercer, as early
as the reign of Edward III., was purchased by them in fee, in the reign of
James I., and is now held in jointure by the widow of Henry Marker,
Esq., junior, whose grandmother was heiress of the Mercers. The Babingtons, a branch of the Derbyshire family of that name, had an estate in
this parish by inheritance from French, and resided on it for some descents.
Monument at Ottery St. Mary
In the parish-church, a handsome structure of the early Gothic, is a
handsome ancient monument, represented in the annexed plate, supposed
to be that of the father of Bishop Grandisson; a grave-stone for John Cadwodleigh, prebendary of Ottery College, 1532; there are monuments also,
or grave-stones, for the families of Haydon (fn. 19) , Sherman (fn. 20) , Coke (fn. 21) , Eveleigh (fn. 22) ,
and Vaughan (fn. 23) , and the monument of William Peere Williams, Esq., (by
The small tithes, which were appropriated to the college, are now vested,
under a grant of King Henry VIII., in certain governors, as described
below. The vicarage is in the gift of the crown: the governors appoint a
chaplain-priest, who reads prayers on Sunday and thrice in the week.
There were originally two chaplain-priests; reduced to one by a decree
of the Court of Exchequer, 40 Eliz. The great tithes belong to the dean
and chapter of Windsor. There were formerly chapels at Ottery, dedicated to St. Saviour (fn. 24) , and St. Budeaux; and the town is said to have been
divided into three districts, called Ottery St. Mary, Ottery St. Saviour, and
Ottery St. Budeaux. There were chapels also at Holcombe and Knighteston, of which there are some remains. The independent Calvinists have
a meeting-house at Ottery; in 1715, the congregation were Presbyterians.
There was an ancient grammar-school at Ottery, under Bishop Grandisson's foundation. After the suppression of the college, King Henry VIII.
granted the church of Ottery, the church-yard, vestries, cloisters, chapterhouse, the vicar's house, the secondaries-house, the cloisters-house, and the
school-house; with all dwelling-houses, edifices, gardens, orchards, &c.,
belonging to the same; the whole being then valued at 45l. 19s. 2d. per
annum, to four principal inhabitants of Ottery, to be called the four governors of the hereditaments and goods of the church of St. Mary Ottery;
whom he incorporated and appointed to have perpetual succession. The
governors were to keep all the said houses, &c., in repair; to pay 20l. per
annum, to the vicar of Ottery, as a pension for the endowment of the
vicarage; and 10l. per annum to a grammar-schoolmaster, and to provide
a house for each; the school to be called "The King's New GrammarSchool of St. Mary Ottery;" the vicar to be named by the King, and the
master to be appointed by the four governors and the vicar. In addition
to this endowment, the master, from an early period, has possessed a field,
called the Schoolmaster's Field, now worth about 9l. per annum.
In the year 1666, Mr. Edward Salter gave a messuage and some land,
at Whimple, now let at 21l. per annum, for the foundation of an exhibition from this school. This estate, as long as can be remembered, has
been enjoyed by the master of the school, who has taught in consideration
two boys of Ottery gratuitously; and these have been for many years the
only boys on the foundation.
In 1691, Thomas Axe, the parish-clerk of Ottery, vested certain houses
in Southwark, in case the longitude should not be discovered within ten
years after his death; to be distributed in twelve parts among his nearest
kindred, and after their decease, as follows: one to the vicar; one to the
vicar's wife, to buy drugs and plaisters for the poor; one to the chaplainpriest; one to the schoolmaster; one to the parish-clerk; three to form a
stock for marriage portions; and the remainder for the relief of the poor.
The clear income is now 100l. 18s. 4d. per annum. Mr. Axe gave also an
estate at Blandford, in Dorsetshire, now 55l. 2s. per annum; three-fourths
to the parish-clerk, and the remainder to provide medical or surgical assistance for the poor. This is now paid to the Exeter and Devon Hospital.
There is a charity-school on Dr. Bell's system, in which are 170 children.
The Rev. James How, who died in 1817, gave 400l. four per cents., to
this school, subject to the legacy-tax. By a subsequent legacy from Mrs.
Kestell, and a small donation from the parish, the endowment was made
up 400l., and laid out in the three per cents.
UP-OTTERY, in the hundred of Axminster and in the deanery of Dunkeswell, lies five and a half miles from Honiton, on the road to Taunton.
The village of Roridge is in this parish.
There are cattle-fairs at Up-Ottery, March 17. and October 24.
The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Ralph de Pomeroy.
It afterwards became vested in the church of Rouen. In the reign of
Henry III., the dean and chapter of that church conveyed it to Sir Nicholas
Cheyney, whose descendants possessed this manor and Roridge for several
generations. A co-heiress of Cheyney brought them to Willoughby, Lord
Broke, with one of whose co-heiresses they passed to Blount, Lord Mountjoy. These manors were afterwards in the Pophams, and were purchased
of Edward Popham, Esq., of Littlecot, in Wiltshire, by Dr. Addington,
father of Lord Viscount Sidmouth, the present proprietor, who occasionally
resides in the manor-house.
The family of Preston possessed an estate in this parish, in the reign of
Charles I., called Gorehayes and Trenhayes. (fn. 25) Westcote calls them the
generous family of Preston, of whom was not long since Captain Preston.
In the parish-church are memorials for John Hutchins, Gent., 1707;
and Joan, his daughter, wife of Thomas Marwood, Esq., 1741.
The dean and chapter of Exeter are patrons of the rectory. The free
chapel of Roridge, or Rawridge, which has been dilapidated many years
ago, was founded by the dean and chapter, and endowed with 5l. per
annum. (fn. 26)
The Independent Calvinists and Baptists have meetings at Up-Ottery.
The former congregation was Presbyterian in 1715.
Ven, or Fen Ottery
VEN, or FEN OTTERY, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery
of Aylesbeare, lies about nine miles from Honiton.
The manor of Fen Ottery belonged, from an early period, and till the
reign of Edward III., to the family of Furneaux. A great part of it came
afterwards to Dinham. In Sir William Pole's time, one moiety belonged to
Mr. William Drake, of Harpford; the other to the assignees of Stowford.
The Right Honourable Lord Rolle has now one third of this manor; the
remainder is in severalties.
Fen Ottery was formerly a chapel to Harpford. A furlong of land,
which had been a sanctuary, and the advowson of the chapel of Fen Ottery,
were given to the priory of Otterton, by John de Furneaux, in 1259. (fn. 27) It
is now a vicarage endowed with the great tithes, by R. Duke, Esq., some
time patron: this benefice has been consolidated with Harpford, and is
in the patronage of Lord Rolle.