SALCOMBE REGIS, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery
of Aylesbeare, lies about a mile and a half from Sidmouth. The villages
of Seed and Trow are in this parish.
The manor is said to have been given to the church of Exeter by King
Canute. It was sold, in 1801, by the dean and chapter, under the powers
of the land-tax redemption-act, when three-fourths of the manor, which
had been held on lease by his father-in-law, the late John Kestell, Esq.,
and some other estates were purchased by George Cornish, Esq., the
present proprietor. The bartons of Higher and Lower Dunscombe, which
formerly belonged to the Drakes, are now also the property of George
Cornish, Esq. Knoll has been for many generations in the family of
Woolcott, and is now the property of Mr. John Woolcott, junior.
In the parish-church are some monuments of the ancient family of
Michell. Thomas Michell, Esq., 1721, &c. That of Thomas Michell,
Esq., (the last heir male,) who died in 1785, was put up by his sole nephew
Sir Isaac Heard, now Garter Principal King of Arms. Mr. Incledon's
Church Notes mention a memorial of — Hooper of Thorne, 1611; and
Nicholas Hooper of Slade, 1659.
The dean and chapter of Exeter have the appropriation of the great
tithes, and are patrons of the vicarage, which is in their peculiar jurisdiction.
The Liber Regis records a dilapidated chapel in this parish, dedicated
to St. Clement and St. Magdalen.
SAMPFORD COURTENAY, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the
deanery of Oakhampton, lies about six miles from Oakhampton, and about
seven from Hatherleigh.
Sampford Courtenay is remarkable as having been the place where the
western rebellion, occasioned by the alteration of the church-service,
broke out in 1549.
The manor, being parcel of the barony of Oakhampton, belonged to
the Courtenay family till the attainder of the Marquis of Exeter. In the
year 1569, Lord Buckhurst, being entitled to the reversion of this manor,
after the death of Winifred, Lady St. John, conveyed it to the Queen in
exchange, to the intent that it should be granted, together with the
advowson, to King's College in Cambridge. The barton is held on lives,
under the College, by the Rev. Corydon Luxmoore. The manor-farm of
Halford, in this parish, belongs to Mr. John Snell.
In the parish-church are memorials for the family of Tickell, 1738, &c.;
and the Rev. John Heath, rector, 1772. Sticklepath, on the road from
Hatherleigh to Oakhampton, has a chapel, in which Divine service is
performed twice a year by the rector of Sampford Courtenay, who administers the sacrament there at the same time (the Sunday after Easter
and the Sunday after Michaelmas). In the reign of Henry V. it was a
separate parish and a rectory, as appears from a record of the year 1414 (fn. 1) ;
yet in the Chantry Roll of 1547 it is spoken of as a chapel, with an
endowment, then valued at 9l. 10s. 8d. per annum.
SAMPFORD PEVERELL, in the hundred of Halberton and in the deanery
of Tiverton, lies about five miles from Tiverton, and six from Collumpton.
It is described in ancient records as a borough. (fn. 2)
There are two fairs at Sampford Peverell, the Monday before the last
Wednesday in April, a great fair for cattle, sheep, and horses, and a
holiday-fair on the ninth of September.
There was formerly a considerable woollen manufacture at this place,
but it has long since declined; there are now only a few weavers in the
parish. The grand Western Canal intersects this parish.
The manor of Sampford was the ancient inheritance of the Peverells,
who resided here for several descents. The co-heiresses of Sir Thomas
Peverell, the last of the family, married Wraxall, Cottle, and Rivers. Sir
Elias Cottle possessed Sampford Peverell in the reign of Edward II. It
was afterwards successively in the families of Dinham and Aisthorpe.
Upon the death of Sir William Aisthorpe without issue, King Henry IV.
granted it to John, Earl of Somerset (fn. 3) , from whom it descended to Margaret,
Countess of Richmond, (mother to King Henry VII.) who is said to have
resided at Sampford. Sir Amias Paulet purchased this estate of King
Henry the Seventh, and Sampford became one of the seats of the Paulet
family. Sir Amias Paulet, (the grandson,) one of Queen Elizabeth's confidential servants, who had the custody of the Queen of Scots at the
time of her execution, was of Sampford, and married the heiress of
Harvey, of Culme John: the last-mentioned family is said also to have
possessed for nine descents a place in Sampford, which they acquired by
marriage with the heiress of Sandford. (fn. 4) The manor and demesnes of
Sampford Peverell were sold at various times between 1806 and 1809, by
Earl Paulet. The manor is now the property of Mr. Thomas Hellings,
attorney-at-law, of Tiverton. The castle, or castellated mansion, of
Sampford Peverell, appears to have been built by Oliver Dinham, in or
about the year 1337. (fn. 5) There are now no vestiges of it, the ruins having
been taken down about the year 1755.
In the parish-church is the monument of Lady Margaret Paulet, 1602;
and that of the wife of Henry Daubeney, Esq., 1801. The Rev. S.
Pidsley is patron and the present incumbent of the rectory.
SAMPFORD SPINEY, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of
Tamerton, lies about 11 miles from Plymouth, under Dartmoor. Part of
the village of Horrabridge is in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., and for some generations afterwards, to the family of Spinet, or De Spineto. In 1630
it was the property of Sir Francis Drake, Bart., from whose family it
passed to Bidgood. It is now vested in the co-heiresses of the late
Humphrey Hall, Esq., who had purchased it of the Bidgoods. The dean
and chapter of Windsor are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the
SANDFORD, in the hundred of Crediton and in the deanery of Cadbury,
lies about two miles from Crediton. West Sandford, Eastern Buildings,
and New Buildings, are villages in this parish.
The manor of Combe Lancelles, commonly called Combe Lancy, in this
parish, belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Lancelles, who
possessed it for several generations: it has been at least 200 years in the
Davie family, and is now the property of Sir John Davie, Bart. Creedy,
in this parish, the seat of Sir John Davie, Bart., has been many generations, in his family. The mansion built by the first baronet was originally
called Newhouse; it has been frequently altered, and has still the appearance of a modern mansion. John Davie, Esq., who first settled at Creedy,
was a younger son of Robert Davie of Crediton, a younger brother
of Davie of Ebberley. John Davie, Esq., his son, was created a baronet
in 1641, and was the immediate ancestor of Sir John Davie, the present
and ninth baronet.
It appears by Risdon that the barton of Ruxford, in this parish, which
was said to have been the seat of Sir John Sully, in the reign of Edward III.,
was the property and residence of Sir William Davie, Bart.; on a division
of his estates, this barton passed to one of his co-heiresses, married to a
son of Sir Nicholas Hooper, by whom it was devised to Henry Coxe, Esq.,
of Stone Easton (in Somersetshire). It was purchased of Mr. Coxe by
Sir John Davie, grandfather of the present baronet.
West Sandford was a seat of the Chichesters, the baronet's branch.
The house has been pulled down, and the estate is now, by purchase, the
property of John Quicke, Esq. Bremridge, the property and residence of
Richard Melhuish, Esq., belonged from a very early period to the family
of Bremridge, whose heiress married the father of the present proprietor.
Dowrish, in this parish, anciently written Duris, gave name to a
family, whose residence it was from an early period till the death of
Henry Dowrish, Esq., the last heir male, in 1717. His widow married
Charles Chalice, Esq., of Lyon's Inn: Mrs. Lock, the daughter and heir
of Mr. Chalice, dying without issue in 1774, bequeathed this estate, for
life, to two maiden ladies of the name of Pitt, and after the decease of
the survivor, which happened in 1792, to Mrs. Arabella Morgan, the
present proprietor, who resides at Dowrish House.
Doddridge, in this parish, was the ancient property and residence of
the family of that name, who continued to possess it in 1746. It was
afterwards successively in the possession of Lake and Payne, and now
belongs to the Rev. John Hewlett, to whom it was conveyed in 1808.
In the parish-church (formerly a chapel to Crediton (fn. 6) ) are memorials of
the families of Dowrish (fn. 7) , Davie (fn. 8) , and Robert Northcote, Esq., 1621.
Sandford has been for some time esteemed a separate parish. The twelve
governors of Crediton are impropriators of the tithes, and three of them
nominate a minister, to be approved of by the majority of the parishioners.
If they should disaprove, the three governors nominate another. Ezekiel
Hopkins, Bishop of Derry, author of numerous sermons, expositions of
the Lord's Prayer, and Ten Commandments, &c., was born at Sandford,
where his father was minister, in 1633. His baptism does not appear in
the register, which is imperfect about that time.
In the year 1773, Mr. John Ham, in pursuance of the will of his
brother, the Rev. Robert Ham, who died in 1770, settled a rent-charge
of 3l. per annum, out of an estate called Cradock, in the parish of
Uffculme, of which 1l. 10s. was to be appropriated to teaching of poor
children of New Buildings, and 1l. 10s. to a schoolmaster at the Eastern
village. Mrs. Mary Lock, who died in 1774, gave 100l. for the purpose
of raising an annuity of 3l. for teaching 10 children of the Eastern village:
this was laid out in land, which now produces 10l. per annum.
SATTERLEIGH, in the hundred and deanery of South Molton, lies about
four miles from South Molton.
At the time of the Domesday survey, Godbold Arbalistarius (fn. 9) held the
manor of Satterleigh in demesne: it was in the Ralegh family as early as
the reign of Henry II., and was conveyed by John Ralegh in or about the
year 1324 to Lord Martyn, from whom it descended to the Bourchiers,
earls of Bath. The manor of Warkleigh and Satterleigh cum Roburrow,
is now the property of James Gould, Esq., who is patron of the rectory.
Satterleigh barton was for several descents the property and residence
of the family of Melhuish. It is now the property of Henry Byne, Esq.,
who possesses it in right of his wife, one of the devisees of the late Mrs.
Melhuish, mother of Richard Melhuish, Esq., the last of the family, who
died in 1809.
In the parish-church are memorials of the family of Hache (fn. 10) , and in the
church-yard that of William Melhuish, Esq., 1770. The rectory is annexed
to that of Warkleigh.
Seaton, or Seeton, and Beer
SEATON, or SEETON, and BEER, in the hundred of Colyton and in the
deanery of Honiton, form an united parish. Seaton lies on the sea-coast,
about eight miles from Axminster, and about 10 from Honiton. It is
supposed by some of the best informed antiquaries to have been the Moridunum of Antoninus. The Danes are said by Risdon to have landed here
in 937. I find no mention of it in the printed chronicles; but the time
corresponds with the battle of Axminster, and it is probable that it may
be mentioned in some of the MS. chronicles. Leland says there had been
"a notable haven here; but now," he adds "a rigge or peer of pebble-stones
at the mouth; a fair peer was begun at Beer, but three yeres since a great
tempest tare it to pieces:" he speaks also of an attempt of the men of
Seaton "to make a waul within the haven, and to break thro' the chesil,
to have diverted the course of the river Axe, and to have received in the
main sea, but the purpose came to no effect." There is now no pier at
Seaton, but coal and culme are landed by the aid of boats. An act of
parliament for making a harbour in the cove of Beer passed in the year 1792,
but nothing having been done in consequence, and the commissioners being
all dead, except two, a new act was passed in 1820 for that purpose, appointing new commissioners, granting more effectual powers for making a
pier, and taking other measures to make a safe and commodious harbour,
and empowering Lord Rolle, as lord of the manor, to take certain duties
from all vessels entering the harbour. Nothing hath as yet been done in
consequence of this act. There is a holiday-fair at Seaton on Whit-Tuesday.
I find no account of the manor of Seaton of an earlier date than what
is mentioned by Sir William Pole, namely, that the grandfather of John
Willoughby, Esq., the then possessor, purchased it of Frye of Yarty. It is
probable that it was held with Beer by the abbot and convent of Sherbourne. The heiress of Willoughby brought it to Trevelyan; and Sir John
Trevelyan, Bart., sold it, about the year 1788, or 1789, with Seaton House,
some time one of the seats of that family, to the father of Thomas
Malet Charter, Esq., the present proprietor, who occasionally resides there.
The house was rebuilt about 1800.
The manor of Beer belonged, before the Conquest, to the abbey of Horton,
which in 1122 was annexed, with all its lands, to Sherbourne Abbey.
After the dissolution, it was in jointure to Queen Catherine Parr. The
manor was afterwards purchased by the family of Hassard of Lyme, and
the demesnes by Mr. John Starr. The whole, before 1630, became, by
purchase, the property of a branch of the Walronds, settled at Bovey, in
this parish. A moiety of the manor had been for some time in the Poles,
having been purchased of the Hassards by Sir William Pole's father, and
sold by himself to Walrond. This estate is now the property of the Right
Honourable Lord Rolle, whose lady, lately deceased, was the sole heiress
of William Walrond, Esq., the last heir male of this branch of the family.
Bovey House is in the occupation of William Read, Esq.
In the parish-church of Seaton are monuments of the family of Walrond;
(Edmund Walrond, Esq., 1640; and William Walrond, Esq., above mentioned, 1762). Mr. Incledon's Church Notes, taken in 1771, mention a
memorial for Jane, daughter of Sir William Strode, and wife of John Willoughby, Esq., of Peahembury, 1695. At Beer is a chapel of ease. Lord
Rolle is impropriator of the great tithes, which belonged to the abbey of
Sherbourne, and patron of the vicarage.
The late Lady Rolle bequeathed the sum of 7000l. 3 per cent., for the
founding and endowing some charitable institutions at Beer, of which a
farther account will be given in the Appendix.
There was a meeting-house of the Presbyterians at Beer in 1715, which
still exists; and a small one of the Methodists at Seaton.
SHAUGH PRIOR, in the hundred and deanery of Plympton, lies under
Dartmoor, about ten miles from Plymouth.
Roger de Novant gave the manor of Shaugh, by the name of Staghes, to
the priory of Plympton (fn. 11) : after the dissolution, it was purchased by the
family of Slanning, who had long possessed lands in this parish, by marriage
with the daughter of At-Ley. From the Slannings it passed with BucklandMonachorum, and other estates, to Modyford and Heywood. After the
death of James Modyford Heywood, Esq., in 1798, it was purchased by
Sir Manasseh Masseh Lopes, Bart., the present proprietor. The Strodes of
Newnham have a manor in this parish called Fernhill. The manor of
Wotter belongs to a farmer of the name of Maddacott. Coldstone, the
seat of the ancient family of Martyn (fn. 12) , is now the property and residence of
a farmer of the name of Cole. The barton of Brixton (fn. 13) belongs to the Earl
of Morley. Troulsworthy Warren, the property of Thomas Woollcombe,
Esq., has been in his family since the reign of Edward VI. The dean
and chapter of Windsor are impropriators of the tithes which had belonged
to the priory of Plympton, and patrons of the perpetual curacy.
SHEBBEAR, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of Torrington, lies about four miles from Sheepwash, and between seven and eight from
Hatherleigh. The small village of Cott is in this parish.
The Nevilles, earls of Westmorland, were formerly lords of the manor.
At a later period it was in the Rolles, from whom it descended to the Right
Honourable Lord Clinton. John Alvethol held lands in Shebbear, in the
reign of Richard II., by the service of holding the king's stirrup whenever
he should come into the lordship of Shebbear.
The barton of Benworthy, belongs to Mr. Hugh Brent; Allicott, to
William Harris, Gent.; Dippermill, to the representatives of the late Mr.
Hockin; Berry, to Mr. John Heam; Lybeare, to Mr. Edward Walter; Werdon, to Miss Harrington; Dean, to Miss Silke; and Spraywood, to the Rev.
William Holland Coham. The barton of Wotton is in moieties between
Lord Clinton and John Fortescue, Esq.
Risdon speaks of a monument in the church, covered with pews, said to
be that of lady Prandergist, Lady of Ladford and Beare. There are memorials of the families of Battishull and Hockin. Mr. Incledon's Notes
mention those of the family of Shebbear (1677—1716); and Mary, wife of
Nicholas Tucker, and daughter of William Shebbear, 1714.
The church of Shebbear, belonged to the abbey of Tor. The impropriate tithes, except such as have been purchased by the several landowners, are now vested in Mr. Hugh Brent, Mrs. Mary Heyset, and Mr.
William Braund. The King is patron of the vicarage.
Sheepwash, or Shipwash
SHEEPWASH, or SHIPWASH, in the hundred of Shebbear and deanery of
Torrington, is a small decayed market-town, four miles and a half from
Hatherleigh, about thirty-three from Exeter, and 206½ from London.
I find no record of the grant of a market; but till towards the latter end
of the last century (fn. 14) , a market was held here on Monday, of which there
are now no traces, but two dilapidated market-houses.
There was an ancient fair held here on St. Lawrence's day; but it had
declined previously to 1777. In the year 1778, fairs were advertised to be
held annually on the 10th of April, the 10th of August, and the 9th of
October: there is now no fair. A destructive fire happened in this town
in 1743. The town and parish contained, in 1801, only 348; in 1811, 378
The manor of Shipwash belonged, in the reign of Henry I., to William
Fitz Reginald, whose daughter brought it to the Avenells. The lastmentioned family possessed it for several generations. Sir Andrew Metsted
was lord of the manor in 1314; his daughter brought it to the Hollands,
who continued in possession in the reign of Charles I. It is now the property of Lord Clinton, by descent from the Rolles.
Upcot, in this parish, was the property and residence of the Hortons,
whose heiress brought it to Thorne. It now belongs to the Rev. William
Holland Coham, one moiety by inheritance, his ancestor having married one
of the co-heiresses of William Holland, Esq., whose grandfather married
the heiress of Thorne. The other moiety has lately been purchased of the
daughter of the late Archdeacon Coham, descended from the other coheiress.
In the parish-church is a memorial for Lewis Coham, Esq., of Upcott,
1778. Sheepwash is a daughter-church to Shebbear.
Sheepstor, or Shipstor
SHEEPSTOR, or SHIPSTOR, anciently written Schitestor, or Shittor, in
the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of Tamerton, lies under
Dartmoor, about seven miles from Tavistock. The village is prettily situated
near Schittestor rock, on the little river Mew.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Herbert,
of Combe, who were succeeded by Scudamore. A co-heiress of Scudamore,
about the end of the fifteenth century, brought it to the Elfords, in which
family it continued till after the death of the last heir male of the elder branch,
in 1748. It is now the property of Walter Northmore, Esq. (fn. 15) Longstone,
the ancient residence of the Elford family, is now a farm-house. In the
parish-church are several monuments of the Elford family. (fn. 16) Shipstor is a
daughter-church to Bickleigh.
SHELDON, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the deanery of Dunkeswell,
lies between six and seven miles from Collumpton, and six from Honiton.
The manor, which had belonged to Dunkeswell Abbey, is said, by Sir
William Pole, to have been afterwards in the Bourchiers, earls of Bath:
but I am informed by the Rev. W. Palmer, D. D., the present proprietor of
the barton of Newhouse, that the manor was granted by the crown to the
Earl of Stamford, by whom the royalty was sold in parcels, as attached to
the several estates; that the barton of Newhouse was sold to the family of
Waldron, or Walrond, of whom it was purchased about the year 1730, by
his grandfather. The barton of Grange, in this parish, is the property of
John Bacon, Esq., R. A. The tithes which belonged to Dunkeswell Abbey
are now vested in William Drewe, Esq., who is patron of the perpetual
curacy: the benefice has been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty.
Sherford, or Shirford
SHERFORD, or SHIRFORD, in the hundred of Coleridge and in the deanery
of Woodleigh, lies about three miles from Kingsbridge. Part of the village
of Frogmore is in this parish.
The manor belonged to the priory of St. Nicholas, in Exeter; and after
the dissolution, to the family of Willoughby, whose heiress brought it to
Trevelyan. It is now the property of the Rev. John Templer, by whom
it was purchased, in 1783, of Sir John Trevelyan, Bart. Kennedon, in
this parish, belonged anciently to the Pralls, afterwards (1395) to Gove.
In the reign of Henry V., it was the seat of John Hals, appointed one of
the justices of the Common Pleas in 1423; his son, John Hals, who was
made Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry in 1450, was born here, and it was
for many years the residence of his descendants: Sir William Elford, the
representative of this family, sold Kennedon to Mr. John Aldham, of
whom it was purchased by Mr. Luke Howard, the present propietor.
The old mansion is now a farm-house: a square tower remains of Judge
Malston, in this parish, gave name to a family, from whom it passed by
successive female heirs to Stighull (fn. 17) and Reynell. (fn. 18) In the reign of Henry V.
it was settled on a younger branch of the Reynells, by whose descendants it
was sold, in 1729, to Daniel Phillips, M. D. In 1775, it was conveyed by
Phillips to Batt: it is now vested in the representatives of the late William
Clarke, Esq., who purchased it of Batt. Sherford is a daughter-church of
Sherwill, or Shirwell
SHERWILL, or SHIRWELL, in the hundred and deanery of that name (fn. 19) ,
lies about four miles from Barnstaple.
At the time of the Domesday survey the manor of Sherwill, there written
"Aiscirewilla," was held by Robert de Bellomonte, or Beaumont, under
Baldwin the sheriff. (fn. 20) The heiress of Beaumont, in the reign of Henry VII.,
married the ancestor of Sir Arthur Chichester, Bart., of Youlston park,
in this parish, the present proprietor, who is also patron of the rectory.
The lord of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital
punishment. (fn. 21)
In the parish-church are memorials of Anne Lady Chichester, daughter
of John Leigh, Esq., and wife of Sir Arthur Chichester, 1723; and of
the family of Lugg (1650—1712).
SHILLINGFORD, in the hundred of Exminster and in the deanery of
Kenne, lies about three miles from Exeter.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Shillingford was
held in demesne by William Chievre, or Capra. It was afterwards, for a
few descents, in an ancient family who took their name from this, the place
of their residence: in the reign of Edward I. it was settled on an illegitimate son, whose descendant sold it, in the reign of Henry VIII., to Sir
William Huddesfield, the King's Attorney-general. Sir William settled
at Shillingford, and left two daughters co-heiresses. This manor was
sold by them to John Southcote, Esq., of whose descendant, Henry
Southcote, Esq., it was purchased by Sir Robert Palk, Bart., and is now
the property of his grandson, Sir Lawrence Vaughan Palk, Bart. The
Southcotes had also the manor of Abbots Shillingford, which belonged to
Tor abbey, having been given by the founder William Lord Brewer. (fn. 22)
In the parish-church is the monument of Sir William Huddesfield,
above mentioned; and his wife Catherine, daughter of Sir Philip Courtenay. There are memorials also for the family of Southcotes. (fn. 23) Sir
L. V. Palk, Bart., is patron of the rectory.
SHOBROOKE, in the hundred of West Budleigh and in the deanery of
Cadbury, lies two miles from Crediton, and eight from Exeter. The
village of Little Silver is in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of William the Conqueror, to Walter
Clavell. The family of Ercedekne, or Archdeacon, possessed it in the
reign of Henry III. The heiress, after several descents, brought it to
Carew. Richard Carew, of Anthony, the historian of Cornwall, sold it
to Sir William Periam, whose daughter brought it to Basset. It was
afterwards successively in the Reynells and Tuckfields, and is now, under
the will of Henry Tuckfield, some time M.P. for Exeter, who died in
1797, the property of R. Hippisley Tuckfield, Esq., son of the Rev. John
Hippisley, of Stow in the Wold, in Gloucestershire.
Little Fulford, partly in this parish, and partly in Crediton, was granted
by Michael le Ercedekne to Roger le Squier. After this (in the reign of
Edward II.) it was in the family of Dirwyn, whose heiress, after four
descents, brought it to Hache, and the heiress of Hache to Malet. It
was sold by the latter to Sir William Periam, of whose co-heiresses the
greater part was purchased by the ancestor of the late Mr. Tuckfield.
Little Fulford House, built by Sir William Periam, Lord Chief Baron of
the Exchequer, has been taken down, and a new mansion lately built for
the present proprietor, R. H. Tuckfield, Esq., by Hakewill. There is a
deer-park at this place.
Raddon, or West Raddon, gave name to the family of Raddon, who
possessed it for several descents. It was afterwards in the lords Martyn,
whose heiress brought it to Lord Audley. Having been divided between
two co-heiresses of Audley, one moiety passed to Tuchet, Lord Audley,
and, having been forfeited by attainder, was granted to Dennis, and subdivided among coheiresses of that family. The other moiety, having
passed by female heirs through the families of Hilary and Troutbeck to
Talbot, was sold to the Westcotes, who settled at Raddon in the reign of
Henry VIII. Thomas Westcote, the antiquary, was born at Raddon in
1567, and buried at Shobrooke about 1640. (fn. 24) His grandson, of the same
name, is said to have ruined his family, and to have sold the estate. It
is now the property of George Sydenham Fursdon, Esq., by bequest from
the late Charles Hale, Esq., of Ingsdon. It was purchased by Mr. Hale
of Henry Lord Rolle, who died in 1750.
Pennicot was the property and residence of the Poyntingdons, or Poyntingtons, from the reign of Edward III. till after the middle of the seventeenth century. The rectory has been annexed to the bishopric of Exeter
since the year 1717.
In the year 1715, the Presbyterians had a meeting-house at Shobrooke,
which still exists.
The earliest benefaction to the charity-school was 10l., given by Thomas
Poyntington, in 1665. Mary Trenchard, in 1728, gave a rent-charge of
3l. per annum. The present annual amount of the endowment, including
other small benefactions, is 5l. 12s. per annum.
SHUTE, in the hundred of Colyton and in the deanery of Honiton, lies
about three miles from Axminster, and about six from Honiton. The
village of Whitford is in this parish. (fn. 25)
The manor belonged to a family who took their name from this, the
place of their residence, anciently called Schete, and it seems to have
passed by marriage to the Pynes. One of the co-heiresses of Sir Thomas
Pyne brought this manor to Nicholas Bonville, great-great-grandfather of
William Lord Bonville, who was beheaded after the battle of St. Albans.
After the death of John Bonville, his nephew, this estate passed to
Thomas Grey, Marquis of Dorset, the first husband of the only daughter
of Lord Bonville's son, who died in his father's lifetime; and to Henry
Earl of Stafford, her second husband. Upon the attainder of her grandson, Henry Duke of Suffolk, in 1553, it escheated to the crown, and was
granted by Queen Mary to Sir William Petre, her principal Secretary of
State, of whose descendant, Lord Petre, it was purchased, in 1787, by
the late Sir John William Pole, Bart., and is now the property of his son,
Sir William Templer Pole, the present and seventh baronet of that family.
Leland calls Shute a right good manor-place of the Marquis of Dorset's:
it had been before the seat of the Bonvilles. Sir William Pole, the learned
antiquary, being possessed of Shute House and park (fn. 26) , settled his eldest
son Sir John there, who, when he was created a baronet in 1628, during
his father's lifetime, was described of Shute, which has ever since been
the chief seat of the family. The greater part of the old mansion was
pulled down by the late baronet; the present edifice was begun in 1787.
There is a deer-park detached from the house.
In the parish-church are some monuments of the families of Pole (fn. 27) and
Templer. (fn. 28) Shute is a daughter-church to Colyton.
SIDBURY, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of
Aylesbeare, lies about three miles from Sidmouth. The villages of Sidford and Harcombe are in this parish.
A market at Sidbury on Wednesday, and a fair for three days, at the
festival of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, were granted to the dean and
chapter of Exeter in 1290. (fn. 29) The market has been discontinued time out
of mind: there are now two cattle-fairs, held on the Tuesday before
Ascension-day, and on Michaelmas-day, if on a Tuesday, otherwise the
first Tuesday afterwards.
The manor, which had been given to the dean and chapter of Exeter
by King Athelstan (fn. 30) , was sold under the powers of the act for the redemption of the land-tax, in or about 1800, to William Guppy, Esq., and others,
of whom it was purchased by Robert Hunt, Esq., the present proprietor.
The manor-house, called Court Hall, was held for many years under the
dean and chapter by the family of Pearse: it is now occupied as a school
by Mr. Henry Newbury.
The manor of Stone and Sidford belonged, in the reign of Henry II.,
and for several descents after that period, to the family of De la Stane.
Henry Trivet had the greater part in the reign of Edward III. One of
the co-heiresses of his grandson brought it to Roger Pym, whose descendant
sold this estate to Sir William Periam. His son-in-law, Sir William Pole,
became possessed of it partly in right of his wife, and partly by purchase.
Sir William Templer Pole, Bart., sold it a few years ago to the uncle of
J. B. Stuckey Bartlett, Esq., the present proprietor.
Mincombe, in this parish, gave name to a family who possessed it for
some descents; it was afterwards in the Holbeames, whose heiress brought
it to Marwood, and the co-heiresses of Marwood in moieties to Wichalse
and Chichester. The Woolcotts purchased a moiety of the Trevanions,
who were representatives of Wichalse. Mr. John Woolcott is now proprietor of the whole; the other moiety had been successively in the
families of Yonge and Warren.
The barton of Sand gave name to a family who possessed it at an early
period. In the reign of Henry V. Roger Tremayle was possessed of Over
Sand. Sir Thomas Tremayle, one of the justices of the King's Bench in
the reign of Henry VII., purchased other lands in Sand, and the whole
passed with the heiress of his son to Ashley. About the year 1560 this
estate was purchased by a younger branch of the family of Huyshe, of
Donniford, in the county of Somerset, and it is now the property of the
immediate descendant and representative, the Rev. Francis Huyshe rector
of Clist Hydon. The house at Sand, which was the seat of the Huyshe
family, was built by Rowland Huyshe in 1594. Over the door of a small
garden is inscribed Hortus Joannis Capelli. (fn. 31) Sand is now occupied by a
Woodhouse, in this parish, gave name to a family who were succeeded
in the possession of this estate by Nitheway. It was afterwards, for several
descents, in the Wallers, from whom it passed, by successive alienations,
to Whiddon and Prideaux. It is now the property of Robert Hunt, Esq.,
who resides on this estate in a mansion called Sidbury House. Woodhouse barton is occupied by a farmer.
Wootton was purchased by the Bampfyldes, in the reign of Edward III.,
of Martyn. It is now the property of Mr. Hunt: the house is occupied
by a farmer.
The barton of Brook belongs to J. B. S. Bartlett, Esq.; Burton, to
Mr. Woolcott; Sincombe, Road, and Higher and Lower Plyford, to Mr.
Hunt; and Sandcombe to the Rev. William Cockburn. Cotford House is
the property and residence of Joseph Jenkins, Esq.
Mr. Incledon, who took his notes in Sidbury church in 1772, mentions
memorials of Anthony Isaac, 1639; Christopher Isaac, 1660; and Francis
Acland, Esq., 1747. The dean and chapter of Exeter are appropriators
of the great tithes, of which Robert Hunt, Esq., is lessee, and patrons of
the vicarage, which is in their peculiar jurisdiction. A chantry in this
church, founded by the ancestors of Hugh Jones, was charged with 7l.
per annum, out of the manor of Shutford. There was formerly a chapel
of St. Michael in this parish.
In the year 1715 there was a Presbyterian meeting at Sidbury, which
still exists: the meeting-house has lately been rebuilt.
SIDMOUTH, a market-town in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the
deanery of Aylesbeare, lies on the sea-coast at the mouth of the river Sid.
It has of late years been much frequented as a bathing-place, and has
every accommodation for invalids.
View of Sidmouth
I have not found any record of the grant of the market; but it appears
from ancient documents, that Sidmouth was a borough and market town,
governed by a portreeve, in the thirteenth century. (fn. 32) There are now two
weekly markets, Tuesday and Saturday, and two fairs, Easter-Monday, and
the third Monday in September. There is an ancient fort at Sidmouth,
mounted with four cannon. Risdon calls Sidmouth "one of the especialest
fisher towns of the shire." Sir William Pole also speaks of it as famous for
its fishery; it has, however, long been on the decline, and the little that is
carried on is yearly decreasing. In 1801, the number of inhabitants in
the town and parish was 1252; in 1811, 1688; according to the returns
made to parliament at those periods.
The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the abbey of St.
Michael, in Normandy; it afterwards belonged to the monastery of Sion. (fn. 33)
After the dissolution, it was successively leased to Gosnell, Sir William
Periam, and Mainwaring. In the reign of James I., Christopher Mainwaring, Esq., being possessed of the fee, sold it to Sir Edmund Prideaux, Bart.;
his descendant, Sir J. W. Prideaux, Bart., sold it to Thomas Jenkins, Esq.,
uncle of Thomas Jenkins, Esq., the present proprietor.
Ascerton, in this parish, gave name to a family, whose heiress brought
this estate to Knighteston: by the latter it was conveyed, in 1370, to Bittlesgate, and by Bittlesgate, about 1422, to Harlewin. Sir John Harlewin
was a distinguished military character in the reign of Edward IV. Both
this barton, and that of Cottrington, or Cottington, which had been sold by
Harlewin to Duke, were conveyed by the latter to Carslake. This estate
is now the joint property of John Carslake, Esq., Henry Cutler, Esq., and
Thomas Jenkins, Esq. The manor of Radway gave name to a family
who possessed it for a considerable time: it was afterwards divided property. The manor now belongs to the representatives of the late Rev.
William Jenkins. The manor of Old Hayes, in this parish, which belonged
partly to the family of Pole, and partly to Crosse, and Trelawney, is now
the property of the Right Honourable Lord Gwydir, who has a cottagevilla here, called by the same name as the manor, at which the late Lord
Gwydir occasionally resided.
In the parish-church are monuments of the families of Harlewin (fn. 34) , and
Conant (fn. 35) ; and of many persons who have been temporary inhabitants at
Sidmouth, either for health or pleasure. (fn. 36)
The great tithes which had been appropriated to the monastery of Sion,
and after the dissolution granted to Mainwaring, were purchased of that
family by the warden and fellows of Wadham College, in Oxford; and
having been sold by that college, under the power of the land-tax redemption-act, are now vested in the representatives of the late Rev. William
Jenkins, who was patron and incumbent of the vicarage.
In the year 1715, the Presbyterians had a meeting at Sidmouth, which
still exists; there is a meeting-house also of Calvinistic Methodists.
The Rev. John Minshull, by his will, in 1663, gave the residue of his
goods and chattles, which produced 360l., to purchase lands; a moiety of
the rent to be appropriated to the maintenance and education of poor
children, of the parish of Sidmouth. The lands purchased with this money,
and the addition of 40l. out of another benefaction given to the poor of
Sidmouth, produced, in 1786, only a rent of 18l. 19s. per annum, although,
in 1698, it had been let for 19l. 10s. In 1791, and 1792, these charity
estates were let improvidently on long leases, at about 32l. per annum, out
of which, 6l. per annum only has been paid to the school. The estates were
valued, in 1819, at 120l. per annum, clear of poor and church rates, and
land-tax. It appears, by the Report of the Commissioners, that some arrangement with the lessees is in contemplation to avoid a suit in chancery.
The Rev. Mr. Burrowes having given the sum of 40l. to the Rev. John
Curtis of Sidmouth, to be disposed of, at his discretion, to charitable uses,
he, by his will, in 1764, gave it to the feoffees of Minshull's school; it was
then laid out in the stocks, and produces an interest of 1l. 10s. per annum.
The master is now paid a salary of 10l. per annum, including this sum.
The slender endowment above mentioned having been aided by voluntary
contributions, seventy-five children have of late been educated in this
school, on Dr. Bell's system. There is a Sunday-school also, in which
120 children are instructed.
ST. SIDWELL, in the suburbs of Exeter, lies in the hundred of Wonford
and in the deanery of Exeter. It was formerly parcel of the parish of
Heavitree, but has been long deemed a separate parish.
Hill's Court, in this parish, was, for many generations, the property and
seat of the family of Hill, whose heiress married Sir John Malet: Sir John
Hill, an eminent lawyer, was of Hill's Court in 1400. There are no remains of the ancient mansion. The site on which several houses have
been built is the property of John Newcombe, Esq.
The parish-church, which has been lately rebuilt in the Gothic style, is
a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Sativola, or Sidwell, a virgin who is
said to have been beheaded with a scythe, about the year 740, and to have
been here buried.
A brass plate against the north wall commemorates Hugh Grove, Esq.,
of Enford, Wilts, who was beheaded for joining in an insurrection against
the ruling powers, in 1655. (fn. 37) At the west end, is the monument of Phineas
Cheek, Esq., 1753. There are memorials also for the Rev. John Robinson,
rector of Halsted, in Kent, 1806; and David Hamilton, Esq., of Christ
Church College, Oxford, 1811.
The register of this parish records great ravages of the plague, in 1625,
and 1626. (fn. 38) Richard Wilkins, executed for witchcraft, was buried at St.
Sidwell, in July, 1610.
Laurence Seldon and his wife, in 1605, gave 7l. per annum for teaching
poor children of this parish. The master of the school receives one half
of seven-eighths of an estate called Rock, in the parish of Tiverton, which
is vested in the dean and chapter of Exeter, and now let at 30l. per annum.
The Rev. John Bury, who died in 1667, gave to the dean and chapter
of Exeter an annuity of 25l. per annum, in trust, half of which was appropriated to a school at St. Sidwell. (fn. 39)
An academy for the Dissenters was opened in Paris-street, in this parish,
in the year 1760, a house having been given for the purpose by William
Mackworth Praed, Esq.; a valuable library, which had belonged to the
academy at Taunton, was removed hither for the use of the students; and
was increased by that of Dr. Hodge of London: the tutors were Messrs.
Merivale, Towgood, Hogg, and Turner. It was closed in 1772. In 1780,
the house was opened as a charity-school: about seventy children, of both
sexes, are now clothed and educated in it. This school, which is the same
spoken of in p. 232., is supported by annual subscriptions and collections;
and it has a stock in the funds, of above 600l., the produce of savings and
In this parish are St. Anne's almshouses and chapel, said to have been
a military post during the siege of Exeter by Prince Maurice; it appears
to have been an ancient hospital, which, having been purchased after the
dissolution, was converted into an almshouse, by Oliver and George Mainwaring, for eight poor persons, and given in trust to the dean and chapter.
It was endowed with the rent of a meadow and tenement, in St. David's
parish, by Ann, wife of Christopher Mainwaring, in 1617: the pensioners
are now paid 6s. 8d. per quarter; and 2s. 6d. a week each, by the dean
Mr. John Webb, of the city of Exeter, in 1676, founded an almshouse
for four poor women. The present rental of the lands belonging to this
almshouse is 28l. 19s. per annum.
SILVERTON, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the deanery of Plymtree,
lies at the distance of six miles and three quarters from Tiverton, and seven
from Exeter. The parish is divided into four parts, the Borough, Yalton,
Monk Culme, and the North Quarter.
Silverton had formerly a market on Saturday, which has been discontinued since the year 1785. There are still two cattle-fairs, the first Thursday in March, and in July; formerly held June 24. and September 4.
There is still a holiday fair, kept upon the last-mentioned day.
Sir Thomas Fairfax was quartered with his army at Silverton, on the
20th and 21st, and 26th and 27th of October, 1645. (fn. 40)
The manor, which had been part of the ancient demesnes of the crown,
belonged at an early period to the Beauchamps of Hache, of whose heirs it
was purchased by Sir John Wadham, one of the Justices of the Common
Pleas, in the fourteenth century. It is now vested in the Honourable Percy
Wyndham, and the Earl of Ilchester, as representatives of the Wadhams.
The former has seven-twelfths.
Culme Reigny, afterwards called Combe Sachville, belonged successively
to the families of Reigny and Sachville: from the latter it passed to Courtenay; Sir William Courtenay sold it, in the reign of Charles I., to Henry
Skibbow and others. Combe Sachville was the property and residence of
the late Henry Langford Browne, Esq., now of his widow. The lords of
this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 41)
The manor of Monk Culme was given by William Earl Moreton to
the priory of Montacute. After the dissolution, it was in the family of
Blewet, who sold it to Land of Tiverton. It is now the property of William
In the church-yard is the monument of Henry Langford Browne, Esq.,
1800; and in the church, that of Mary, his wife, 1769. Gilbert Bourn,
the deprived Bishop of Bath and Wells, was buried at Silverton in 1569.
Bishop Cotton resided chiefly at Silverton, and died there in 1621. (fn. 42)
Adjoining to the church was a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, of
which the traces are still discernible.
The Earl of Ilchester has five-twelfths, and the Honourable Percy Wyndham seven-twelfths, of the advowson of the rectory. In the year 1715,
the Presbyterians had a meeting-house at Silverton, which still exists.
Mr. John Richards, of London, merchant, by his will, bearing date 1724,
gave 1200l., to be laid out in lands for building and endowing a school;
after providing the requisite buildings, the estate purchased now produces a rent of about 95l. per annum. The scholars are to be taught
reading, writing, and accounts.
The Rev. Richard Troyte, in 1730, gave a rent-charge of 2l. 10s. per
annum, for teaching poor girls.