Parishes
St Kaine - Kilkhampton

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Daniel and Samuel Lysons

Year published

1814

Pages

155-167

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: St Kaine - Kilkhampton', Magna Britannia: volume 3: Cornwall (1814), pp. 155-167. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50640 Date accessed: 20 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

St. Kaine or St. Kean

ST. KAINE or ST. KEAN, in the hundred and deanery of West, (called in ancient records Lametton,) lies about two miles and a half south of Liskeard, which is the post-office town, and about six miles north of Looe. The manor of Lametton, as parcel of the possessions of Sir Robert Tresilian, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, was granted after his attainder, by King Richard II. to his son-in-law John Hawley (fn. 1) of Dartmouth, whose daughter (an heiress) brought it to the Coplestones (fn. 2) . The barton was the chief seat of that ancient family in Cornwall. In the reign of James I. it belonged to the Harris's (fn. 3) of Mount-Radford, in Devonshire, from whom it passed soon afterwards, by marriage, to the Rashleighs: it is now the property of William Rashleigh, Esq., M.P. The manor-house is occupied by a farmer. The Rev. Wymond Cory is patron of the rectory. In this parish is the celebrated well, of which mention has been already made.

Kea

KEA, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of Powder, lies not far from Truro: the church (fn. 4) , which stands alone, is about two miles nearly south-east of that town. The principal village is Calennick: part of Chasewater, which lies chiefly in Kenwyn, is in this parish.

The manor of Landegy (which was the ancient name of the parish) belonged at an early period to the Archdeknes (fn. 5) ; from whom it passed by female heirs to the Courtneys and Carews. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, the manors of Landegy and Lanner were amongst those forfeited by Francis Tregian, and which were granted to Cary Lord Hunsdon, and afterwards re-purchased by Francis Tregian the younger. Before the year 1620, they had been sold by Charles Tregian, brother and heir of Francis Tregian the younger, to William Coryton (fn. 6) , Esq., ancestor of John Tillie Coryton, Esq., the present proprietor.

The manor of Albalanda or Blanchland, partly in this parish and partly in Kenwyn, passed in marriage with Johanna, daughter and heir of Otho de Albalanda, (whose ancestors had long possessed it,) to John Boscawen (fn. 7) , Esq., of Tregothnan; from whom it has passed, by lineal descent, to the present noble owner Lord Viscount Falmouth. Tonkin says, that the first copper-mines which were worked with success in Cornwall, were those on this estate. Nansavellan, the barton of an estate, called in some records a manor, was an ancient seat of the Albalanda's, and afterwards of the Boscawens: it is now a farm-house, belonging to Lord Viscount Falmouth. Gudern or Godren, for many generations the seat of the Bawden family, as lessees under the Boscawens, is now a farm-house of Lord Falmouth's.

Kelliou or Killiow was for many years the seat of a family of that name, from whom it passed, by successive heirs female, to the families of Vivian and Haweis. It is now the property of Robert Lovell Gwatkin, Esq., who has purchased the see, and has a lease from the widow of the late David Haweis, Esq. Seviock, in this parish, some time the seat of the family of Alleyne or Allen, is now the property of Michael Allen, Esq.: the house is unoccupied. Curlyghon or Carlyon, some time the seat of a family of that name, passed by a female heir to Haweis: the lease is now vested in Mrs. Ursula Haweis, widow: the fee belongs to R.L. Gwatkin, Esq., by purchase from the executors of the late David Haweis, Esq.

The parishes of Kea and Kenwyn form an united benefice (a vicarage), in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. The great tithes which were appropriated to the college of Glaseney are now vested in Lord Falmouth.

An alms-house for "such poor people of the parish of Kea and of the communion of the church of England (not receiving parish pay), as the said house would conveniently hold, (being eight in number)," was founded by the will of Mr. John Lanyon, bearing date 1724, and endowed with an estate in Gwennap, worth about 50l. per annum.

Kenwyn

KENWYN, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of Powder, adjoins the town of Truro, a considerable part of the suburbs of which are in this parish (fn. 8) . The church lies about three-quarters of a mile north-west of the town. The principal detached village in this parish is Chasewater, (between Truro and Redruth,) a small part of which is in the parish of Kea. At Twelveheads, in this parish, were formerly copper-works. (fn. 9)

The manor of Allet, Edelet, or Edles, was at the time of the Domesday Survey held by Algar, master of the horse, under Robert, Earl of Moreton and Cornwall. It was afterwards in the families of Lansladron and Hamely. From the former, two-thirds descended to the Arundells of Trerice, who held that portion in the reign of James I. (fn. 10) The other third was divided between Boscawen and Trevilian. This manor belonged, some years since, in equal portions, to Lord Falmouth, Sir William Lemon, Bart., and Lord Galway; the latter, who inherited from the Arundells of Trerice, has sold his share in lots, retaining the under-ground profits, and his right of common. The wood called Three-LordsWood, is solely the property of Lord Falmouth. The manor of Newham, which formerly belonged to the Bodrugans, and on the attainder of Sir Henry Bodrugan was granted to the Trevanions, is now, by a late purchase from the Rev. William Pye, the property of R. A. Daniell, Esq. Tregarrick, in this parish, formerly called a manor, was the seat of a family of that name, whose heiress married Trenowth, and a coheiress of Trenowth married Boscawen. This estate, now the property of Lord Falmouth, has been in the Boscawen family about three centuries. Lord Falmouth has a manor of this name in the parish of Roche, which passed by a different title. Bosvigo, in this parish, is the property of Sir William Lemon, Bart., whose grandfather purchased it, in 1741, of Richard Sholl. The barton of Boswylick, for several generations a seat of the family of Hacche, is now the property of William Harris, Esq., by purchase from Henry John, Esq. Treworder, formerly a seat of the family of Coven, and Chyncoose of that of Haweis, are now farm-houses. Treworder is the property of William Slade Gully, Esq., and Mr. Joseph Ferris; and Chyncoose of Mr. Nicholas Brown.

Kenwyn, although a separate parish, is consolidated as a benefice with Kea, as before described. The Exeter registers mention a chapel dedicated to St. George in this parish.

The manor of Tregavethan, which is nearly surrounded by the parish of Kenwyn, is deemed extra-parochial, has its separate officers, and maintains its own poor; it is described in Martyn's Alphabetical List as in the parish of Kea, and, indeed, the inhabitants pay their taxes to the assessor of that parish. This manor belonged to the Tregodicks, from whom it passed, by successive sales, to the families of Crosse, Bawden, Vincent, and Knight: it is now the property of the Marquis of Buckingham, whose maternal grandfather (Earl Nugent) became possessed of this and several other estates, in consequence of his marriage with the widow of John Knight, Esq., of Gosfield-Hall, in Essex. The barton, which had been retained by the Tregodicks, passed by a female heir to the Laughernes. Captain Digory Laugherne, who commanded a troop of horse for the King, having been ruined in his fortunes by the civil war, sold this barton in the reign of Charles II. to the Vincents. John Laugherne, brother of Digory, who was a lieutenant of horse in the King's army, is said to have been more than seven feet six inches high, and of remarkable strength. The barton-house, which was the seat of the Tregodicks and Laughernes, has been pulled down. There are now several farm-houses on the estate, which is divided into small tenements, held under the manor. Near the manor-house was a chapel dedicated to St. Mary, with a cemetery: the ruins of the chapel remained in Dr. Borlase's time (fn. 11) . Roseeth, within the manor of Tregavethan, was a seat of the Cosens; Nicholas Cosen, of this place, was Sheriff of the County in 1660. Roseeth is now a farm-house, the property of Francis Enys, Esq.

St. Keverne

ST. KEVERNE, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of Kirrier, lies about ten miles east-south-east from Helston, which is the post-office town, and about the same distance south of Falmouth. The principal villages, exclusive of the church-town, are Coverack, Porthalla, and Porthoustock, three fishingcoves, at the former of which is a good pier for small vessels; Arrowan, Grugith, Gwinter, Roscorwell, Rosnithen, Rosewick, Traboc or Treraboc, Tregarne, Tregowris, Treleever, Trenance, Trevallack, Trevalsoe, Trevoothen, and Trewillis. There is a show-fair for cattle at St. Keverne, on the Tuesday after Twelfth-day.

The manor of Lan-Keverne or St. Kyeran, the Lan-Achebran of the Domesday Survey, belonged to a College of Canons, called in that Survey the Canons of St. Achebran. It was afterwards parcel of the possessions of the abbot and convent of Beaulieu in Hampshire, who had a cell at this place. Leland, speaking of St. Keverne, says, "ther is a sanctuary with x or xii dwelling howses, and therby was a sel of monkes, but now goon home to ther hed hows. (fn. 12) " The manor of Lan-Keverne was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Francis Earl of Bedford (fn. 13) : it was afterwards in the family of Bogan, from whom it passed by marriage to the late Thomas Vyvyan, Esq., of Trewan, in St. Columb, and is now the property of Vyel Vyvyan, Esq., of Trelowarren. Tregoning, the immediate site of the priory, where are some small remains of monastic buildings, is now the property of Mr. Jacob Lory, by purchase from Arscot Beckford, Esq., who bought it of the Bogans.

The manor of Rosenithon belonged at a remote period to the family of Seneschall (fn. 14) , and was afterwards in that of Serjeaux, from whom it passed by female heirs to the Veres, Earls of Oxford (fn. 15) : it is now in moieties, one of which belongs to the Rev. Sir Carew Vyvyan, Bart., the other to Walter Ralegh Gilbert, Esq., in right of his wife, as sister and heiress of the Rev. John Hosken. The manor of Tregarne Condurra (fn. 16) , extending into St. Anthony and several neighbouring parishes, belonged in ancient times to the Earls of Cornwall. Having been for many generations in the Arundell family, it was purchased, in 1737, of the coheiresses of Richard Arundell, Esq., of Lanherne, by the grandfather of Sir William Lemon, Bart., the present proprietor, who has also the manor of Trythance, purchased of the Tresusis family in 1786. The manor of Trenoweth-Chammon, so called, probably, from having belonged to the family of Chamond, is now the property of the Rev. Sir Carew Vyvyan, Bart. The manor of Treraboc or Traboc, was parcel of the possessions of the prior and convent of St. Michael, and was included, with other appurtenances of that monastery, in the lease to the Millitons and Harris's, and in the grant to Robert Earl of Salisbury, whose son and successor sold it, in 1651, to Mr. John Gregor, ancestor of Francis Gregor, Esq., of Trevarthenick, the present proprietor.

The barton of Treleage is the property of Vyel Vyvyan, Esq., by inheritance from the family of Bogan. The barton of Trebarvath, to which a manor was formerly attached, belonged at an early period to the family of Archdekne (fn. 17) : it is now a farm-house, the property and residence of Mr. Richard Lory. There was in former times a manor of Rosewick, to which the church of Landewednack was an appendage. This manor, in the reign of Edward I., was conveyed by John de Ripariis to William de St. Margaret: it was afterwards in the Carminows, from whom it passed to the Reskymers. The site of this manor was, most probably, at Roswick in this parish, the lands in which still pay a high rent to a manor called Tretheves, Roswick, and Lucies, in the neighbouring parishes of RuanMinor and Grade, belonging to Sir Christopher Hawkins, Bart.

The barton of Tregowris, some time a seat of the Hoskens, is now a farm, belonging to Mr. Ralegh Gilbert before-mentioned. The barton of Treland, some time a seat of the Haymes, is now a farm, the property and residence of Mr. James. Trembrose or Trembrase, successively a seat of the Geares and Hills, is now a farm of Sir Carew Vyvyan's. Trelayse, many years a seat of the Kensom family, was sold by George Kensom, Esq., about the year 1660, to Sampson Sandys, Esq.; it now belongs to the Rev. John Kempthorne, under the will of his grandfather, the Rev. Sampson Sandys, rector of Landewednack. Lanarth, now the seat of Lieutenant-Colonel William Sandys, has been in his family for more than a century. Hals relates a story of the miraculous preservation of an ancestor of this gentleman and seven other persons, of St. Keverne, who were driven to sea in an open boat, in the year 1702; and after beating about for four days and three nights, reached the coast of Normandy, where they landed and were made prisoners; but on the circumstance coming to the knowledge of the King (Louis XIV.), were generously released, and after an absence of two months, safely landed at Portsmouth, whence they returned to St. Keverne, having been long given over as lost.

In the parish-church are memorials of the families of Bogan, Sandys, and Squier: and a marble slab inscribed to the memory of Mr. Edward Pearce, surgeon, by his brother, the present Dean of Ely.

The rectory of St. Keverne, which had been appropriated to the priory of Beaulieu, was many years in the family of Hill. The great tithes were sold by this family about the middle of the last century, for a term of 999 years, to the occupiers of the several estates. The advowson of the vicarage is vested in Mr. James Pascoe. There were formerly chapels at Tregowris, Traboc, Gwinter, Chynals, Trelease, and Nambol: the walls of some of these were standing within the memory of man. The registers of the See of Exeter record also a chapel at Lesteader (fn. 18) . In a petition to parliament in the reign of Edward IV., mention is made of John Vyvyan, Esq., of Trelowarren, and his wife Honor, (the heiress of Ferrers), going on a pilgrimage to the chapel of St. James, at Tregowris.

There is an endowed charity-school at St. Keverne, for reading, writing, and arithmetic, the master of which has a salary of 15l. per annum; and six readingschools, with small salaries. The income which forms the endowment of these schools arises from the rent of three small parcels of land, and the interest of 150l. stock, amounting together to 26l. 10s. per annum. Part of the land was given by Sampson Sandys, Esq., in 1698; the remainder was purchased with a moiety of 200l., given to the schools by John Hosken, Esq., of Tregowris, in 1770.

St. Kew

ST. KEW, in the hundred of Trigg and deanery of Trigg-Minor, lies about eight miles nearly north-north-west from Bodmin, seven south-west from Camelford, six nearly east from Padstow, and three and a half from Wadebridge. The principal villages in this parish are Amble or Ammell, Pendogget, Tregelles or Tregellist, Trelill, and Trewethern.

The manor of Lanow, in old records called Lanow-Seynt and Landoho, (which was the ancient name of the parish,) was given, with the church, by King Edgar to the priory of Plympton, for the support of two canons, the keeping up of alms-giving, and the entertainment of pilgrims (fn. 19) . It was, not long afterwards, resumed by the crown, the priory having been dissolved, and was given by King Henry I. to William Warlewast, Bishop of Exeter, by whom the priory was re-founded, and again endowed with this manor. After the dissolution of monasteries, King Henry VIII. granted it to John Wollacombe, Clerk, and Roger Prideaux, Gent. (fn. 20) It was soon afterwards in the Bevilles, from whom it passed, by marriage, to the Grenvilles. Sir Beville Grenville sold it to the Attorney-General Noy; but John Earl of Bath, disputing his father's right of alienation, had a suit at law with his heirs; after a time the Noys made over their claim to Mr. Christopher Davies, who at length is said to have been induced to accept a sum of money by way of compromise, and to have relinquished this manor to the Earl (fn. 21) . Some time afterwards it became the property of the Pitts of Boconnoc, and now belongs to Lord Grenville, in right of his wife, as sister and heir of the last Lord Camelford. Lord Grenville has also the barton of Polterworgie, now a farm-house, which was a seat of the Bevilles (fn. 22) ; the manor of Tregeare, on which was a seat of the Penkevills (fn. 23) ; and those of Allett and Ammell. The latter belonged to the Mohuns (fn. 24) , and passed by the same title as Boconnoc.

The manor of St. Kew has been long in the Molesworth family, and now belongs to Sir A. O. Molesworth, Bart. The manor of Penpons or Penpont, now dismembered, belonged anciently to a family of that name, whose heiress brought it to the Arundells of Tolverne. The barton is, by a late purchase, the property of Mr. Richard Grose, whose family had long been tenants of the estate. The manor of Treharrick belonged to a family of that name, whose heiress brought it to the Cavalls in the reign of Henry VII. About the year 1700, Thomas Vivian, Esq., of Trenowth, to whom it had passed by inheritance from a coheiress of Cavall, dismembered the manor, and sold the barton to Mr. John Petar. It is now the property of Mr. Abraham Hambly, who has lately built a new house on the estate for his own residence.

Bokelly (fn. 25) , the ancient seat of the Carnsews, which Leland calls "a praty house, with fair ground and praty wood about it," was sold by that family, about the time of the civil war to the Tregagles: it is now a farm-house, the property of Sir A. O. Molesworth, Bart., who is possessed also of the bartons of Pengenna and Rooke. The latter was for several generations the seat of a branch of the Treffry family. Tatane, the property and residence of Mr. John Curgenven, is said to have been among the first possessions of the Molesworths in this county. Trewane, a seat of the Nicholls family, is now a farm-house, the property of the Rev. R. G. Grylls of Helston, by inheritance from the Glynns of that town, to whom it had been bequeathed by the heiress of Nicholls, who married Nicholas Glynn, Esq. of Glynn. Near the church is Shisdon, formerly belonging to the Treffry's, lately the seat of William Clode, Esq., Major in the East-India Company's service, and now of Henry Braddon, Esq.

In the parish-church are considerable remains of painted glass, and memorials of the families of Cavall, Webber of Middle-Amble, and Treffry of Rooke. In the parish-register, which has been well kept, is an entry of the burial of Elizabeth Fradd, aged 103, March 3, 1803.

The impropriate rectory of St. Kew, which belonged to the priory of Plympton, and certain lands called Corker's-land, (from the family of Corker, who possessed some time since the rectorial estate,) are vested in Sir Arscot O. Molesworth, Bart. Lord Grenville is patron of the vicarage, which, in the thirteenth century, was endowed with the great tithes of certain lands in this parish. There was formerly a free chapel at Chapel-Amble, dedicated to St. Adhelm; and also a chapel in this parish dedicated to St. Wenn. (fn. 26)

Kilkhampton

KILKHAMPTON, in the hundred of Stratton and deanery of Trigg-Major, lies about three miles and a half north-north-east from Stratton, which is the postoffice town. There was formerly a market at this place, which in the year 1301 was proved to have been held by prescription, as appears by the quo warranto roll of that year. There are now three fairs, on Holy Thursday, the third Thursday after, and August 28: the first and last are considerable cattle-fairs.

The manor of Kilkhampton is supposed to have belonged to the Grenville family, from nearly the time of the Conquest; Dugdale says, that they were seated here in the reign of William Rufus. Richard de Grenville, who came over with William the Conqueror, is said, in the pedigrees of the family, to have been a younger brother of Robert Fitzhaman, Earl of Carbill, Lord of Thurigny and Granville, in France and Normandy; and to have been lineally descended from Rollo, Duke of Normandy. It is on record, that Richard de Grenville held certain knight's fees at Bideford in Devonshire, in the reign of Henry II. We have not found any record of the Grenvilles' possessions at Kilkhampton, of an earlier date than the quo warranto roll before-mentioned; but it appears that it had at that time been long in the family: they continued to reside at Stowe, in this parish, for many generations, and frequently served the office of sheriff for the county. William Grenville or Grenfield, (as the name was at that early period generally written), son of Sir Theobald, became Archbishop of York, and distinguished himself as an able statesman; he died in 1315. Sir Richard Grenville, son of Roger, (who was himself a captain in the navy, and lost his life, as Carew tells us, in the unfortunate Mary Rose,) was a celebrated military and naval commander in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. He first distinguished himself in the wars under the Emperor Maximilian against the Turks, for which his name is recorded by several foreign writers. In the year 1591, being then Vice-Admiral of England, he was sent in the Revenge, with a squadron of seven ships, to intercept the Spanish galleons; when falling in with the enemy's fleet, consisting of fifty-two sail, near the Tercera islands, he repulsed them fifteen times in a continued fight, till his powder was all spent: his ship, which sunk before it arrived in port, was reduced to a hulk, and himself covered with wounds, of which he died two days afterwards, on board the vessel of the Spanish commander (fn. 27) . Sir Richard's grandson was the brave and loyal Sir Beville Grenville. This distinguished officer was one of King Charles's generals in the West, and shared the glories of the successful campaign in Cornwall in the autumn of 1642; in the summer of the following year he lost his life at the battle of Lansdowne, near Bath. Sir Richard Grenville, who had been created a baronet in 1631, was, after his brother's death, made General of all the King's forces in the West. He was an active and zealous officer, and so particularly obnoxious to the parliamentary party, that he was perpetually the subject of abuse to their journalists, who seldom spoke of him but by the appellation of Skellum Grenville. During the dissensions between the civil power and the military in 1645, Sir Richard Grenville was superseded and imprisoned by the advice of Sir Edward Hyde, afterwards Earl of Clarendon. That noble author gives a very unamiable character of Sir Richard, who is represented as having been in the highest degree oppressive, tyrannical, and unprincipled; but other writers attribute much of this to the personal enmity which subsisted between them. Sir Richard Grenville died, in reduced circumstances, at Ghent, in the year 1658; leaving no male issue, the title became extinct. Sir John Grenville, son of the brave Sir Beville, succeeded to the Kilkhampton estates: at a very early age he had a command in his father's regiment, and was left for dead in the field at Tewksbury. He was appointed Governor of the Scilly Islands when they revolted from the parliament, and was one of the chief instruments in effecting the restoration of King Charles II. He gave the living of Kilkhampton to Nicholas Monk, and employed him to influence his brother (the general) in favour of the exiled monarch; having succeeded in his negociations, he had the satisfaction of being the bearer of the King's letters to General Monk, and to the parliament. In April 1661, Sir John Grenville was created Lord Grenville of Kilkhampton and Bideford, Viscount Lansdowne, and Earl of Bath. On the death of his grandson, under age, in 1711, these titles became extinct, and the Kilkhampton estate passed to his aunt and coheiress Grace Grenville, who married George Lord Carteret, and was afterwards (being then a widow) created by King George I. Countess of Granville, with remainder to her son John, who inherited that title and the Kilkhampton estate. On the death of Robert, the second Earl of Granville, in 1776, that title became extinct, and the Kilkhampton estate passed, under his will, to his nephew Henry Frederick Thynne, second son of Lord Viscount Weymouth, who had married his sister Louisa. Mr. Thynne was created Lord Carteret in 1784, and is the present possessor of Kilkhampton, the remainder of which, as well as the title of Carteret, is vested in Lord George Thynne, second son of the Marquis of Bath.

John Grenville, Earl of Bath, in the reign of Charles II., built a magnificent mansion at Stowe, in this parish, of which scarcely a vestige remains. It stood on an eminence, overlooking a well-wooded valley; but not a tree near it, says Dr. Borlase, to shelter it from the north-west. That writer speaks of it as by far the noblest house in the west of England, and says, that the kitchen offices, fitted up for a dwelling-house, made no contemptible figure (fn. 28) . It is a singular circumstance, that the cedar wainscot, which had been bought out of a Spanish prize, and used by the Earl of Bath for fitting up the chapel in this mansion, was purchased by Lord Cobham at the time of its demolition, (the house being then sold piecemeal,) and applied to the same purpose at Stowe, the magnificent seat of the noble family of Grenville in Buckinghamshire, where it still remains. Defoe, in his Tour through Great Britain, speaking of Stowe in Cornwall, says, that the carving of the chapel was the work of Michael Chuke, and not inferior to Gibbon's. Ilcombe, now a farm-house belonging to Lord Carteret, is described by Norden as the residence of a younger branch of the Grenvilles.

Alderscombe, formerly a seat of the Orchards, is the property of the Rev. Thomas Hooper Morrison, nephew of the late Paul Orchard, Esq., of HartlandAbbey. Elmsworthy, some time a seat of the Westlakes, is now a farm-house, the property of Mr. Galsworthy of Hartland. The last of the Westlakes died, in very indigent circumstances, about the year 1772, having been reduced to the situation of a parish pauper. It is a singular circumstance, that he was twice pricked for sheriff after he was an inhabitant of the poor-house.

In the parish-church are monuments of the Grenville family, and memorials of the Orchards of Alderscombe, the Westlakes of Elmsworthy, and the Waddons of Tonacombe, in Morwinstow. On the monument of Sir Beville Grenville, which is surrounded by military trophies, is the following inscription:

"Here lyes all that was mortal of the most noble and truly valiant Sir Beville Grenville, of Stowe, in the county of Cornwall, Earl of Corbill, and Lord of Thorigny and Granville, in France and Normandy, descended in a direct line from Robert, second son of the warlike Rollo, first Duke of Normandy, who, after having obtained divers signal victories over the rebels in the West, was at length slain, with many wounds, at the battle of Lansdowne, July 5, 1643. He married the most virtuous Lady, Grace, daughter of Sir George Smith, of the county of Devon, by whom he had many sons, eminent for their loyalty and firm adherence to the crown and church; and several daughters, remarkable examples of true piety. He was indeed an excellent person, whose activity, interest, and reputation, was the foundation of what had been done in Cornwall; and his temper and affection so public, that no accident which happened could make any impressions on him, and his example kept others from taking any thing ill, or at least seeming to do so; in a word, a brighter courage, and a gentler disposition, were never married together, to make the most cheerful and innocent conversation." Vide Lord Clarendon's History of the Rebellion.

"To the immortal memory of his renowned grandfather, this monument was erected by the Right Honourable George Lord Lansdowne, Treasurer of the Household to Queen Anne, and one of Her Majesty's most honourable Privy Council, &c., in the year 1714."

"Thus slain thy valiant ancestor did lye, When his one bark a navy did defy, When now encompass'd round the victor stood, And bath'd his pinnace in his conquering blood, Till all his purple current dryed and spent, He fell, and made the waves his monument: Where shall the next famed Granville's ashes stand, Thy grandsire fills the seas, and thou the land."

Martin Llewellin.

Vide Oxford University Verses, printed 1643. (fn. 29)

Sir Beville Grenville was forty-eight years of age at the time of his death, as appears by the following record of his birth in the parish register at Kilkhampton.

"Bevell, the sonne of the worshipfull Bernarde Greynville, Esquire, was borne and baptized at Brinn, in Cornwall, A°. Dni. 1595."

In the margin, "Marche 1595, borne the 23d daye, baptized the 25th daye of Marche."

His brother Sir Richard's baptism is thus entered; "Richard, the son of Barnard Grainvile, Esq., baptiz'd 26 June 1600."

Lord Carteret is patron of the rectory of Kilkhampton. In the registers of the see of Exeter, mention is made of a chapel at Brightley, in this parish, dedicated to St. Catherine (fn. 30) .

Footnotes

1 Rot. Pat. 13 Ric. II.
2 It is probable that it was sold at the time that it is said to have cost John Coplestone, Esq., thirteen manors in Cornwall to procure the Royal pardon. (See Prince's Worthies.) The pardon is enrolled, and bears date 4 Eliz. Aug. 20.
3 Extent. Ducat. Cornub. 17 Jac. I., in the possession of Sir John St. Aubyn, Bart.
4 This church is a new structure: the old church was situated on the river. The tower, which is still standing, is a fine object from the grounds at Tregothnan.
5 The Bodrugans held lands under Archdekne, as of his manor of Landegy. 2 Edw. II.
6 Extent. Terrar. Ducat. Cornub. 17 Jac. I.
7 It was held 17 Jac. I., by Boscawen of Trevanion, as of his manor of Restronguet, and by Trevanion, of Launceston-Castle. (Ibid.)
8 In this parish was the site of the Dominican Friery, said to have been founded by the Reskymers, and granted by Edward VI. to William Aglionby, Esq.
9 Dr. Borlase's Collections.
10 Extent Ducat. Cornub. 17 Jac. I.
11 MS. Collections.
12 Itin. VII. 118.
13 Tanner.
14 2 Edw. II.
15 Esch. Ric. II. Edw. IV.
16 Tregarne is a village in this parish. Condurra is in St. Anthony.
17 Esch. Ric. II. and Edw. IV.
18 Dr. Borlase's Collections.
19 Rot. Parl. I. p. 461.
20 Record in the Augmentation-Office.
21 Hals.
22 Norden.
23 Hals.
24 Esch. Eliz. and Car. I.
25 William of Worcester, in his Itinerary, (temp. Edw. IV.) speaks of a dilapidated castle near Bokelly, called Kelly's-bury; it is probable that this is what is now called Kelly-rounds, in the adjoining parish of Egloshayle.
26 Dr. Borlase's MS. Collections.
27 An account of the fight was published in 1591, by Sir Walter Ralegh.
28 MS. Notes to Carew's Survey.
29 A collection of verses, by the University of Oxford, on the death of Sir Beville Grenville, was printed in 1643, and reprinted in 1684. To these are annexed King Charles's Letters to Sir Beville Grenville, and to the county of Cornwall; and a patent of Charles I., which grants to the county of Cornwall a trade to Denmark, the great Duke of Muscovy, and the Levant. Martin Llewellyn was a poet and physician, and was some time principal of St. Mary Hall in Oxford: in the latter part of his life he resided at High-Wycomb; died there in 1682, and lies buried in the north aisle of the chancel.
30 Dr. Borlase's Collections.