In the Subsidy Roll of 45 Edward III., printed in Lord de Dunstanville's
edition of Carew's Survey, from a record in the Tower, and carefully collated
with the original, is a list of the Cornish parishes, divided into hundreds. From
the very inaccurate spelling in this record, it is difficult to make out several of the
names of parishes, so as to appropriate them to existing names; one or two could
not be ascertained; as, St. Silian, in the hundred of Penwith, and St. Bodemny,
in that of Kirrier. St. Issey in this roll is called St. Ide (see the account of that
parish); Mawgan in Pyder, Lanherne; Tintagel, Bossiney. By Briggenok, in
the hundred of Stratton, probably is meant Bridgerule: Resprin and St. Eye or
St. Day are described as parishes.
The church of Eglossant was given to St. James's hospital in Bristol temp.
Hen. II. (fn. 1) The advowson of Wyrswold (which appears to have been in Meneage)
is described as having belonged to the Carminows (fn. 2) . The church of Norton, with
West-Orchard, in the county of Cornwall, is described as belonging to the abbey
of Newham (fn. 3) : we find no other mention of such parishes. There is West-Orchard
in Dorsetshire, but it is an appendage to the church of Fontmell-Magna in that
The free chapel of La Mayne, in Cornwall, was granted to Edward Bostock,
5 Jac. The hermitage of Pont-Baldwin, in Cornwall, was given by Robert de
Cardinham to the priory of Tywardreth. (fn. 4)
A List of Cornish Manors mentioned in various Records, the situation of which
has not been ascertained: the names of their ancient proprietors, and the dates
of the records, are subjoined.
Alfresworth, — Thomas Davy, 31 Edw. I.; Isolda ux. Walter Allet, 10 Edw. II.
Bolehuskinge, — J. Whytyng, Esch. 3 Edw. IV. (under the name of Reskymer.)
Bossulwen, — held of the castle of Launceston, by J. Coke, Esq. 1640. (Qu. Boswen in Wendron.)
Bradney, — John Beaumont, 3 Ric. II.
Bree, — William Tregos, 2 Ric. II.: Richard Tregos, Pat. 18 Hen. VI. (Qu. Bray in Morval.)
Brothek, — Carminow, 8 Hen. V. (Qu. Broadoak.)
Calendo, — four-fifths granted to Sir George Carye, 21 Eliz.; belonged afterwards to Ezekiel
Collenuthill, — held of the manor of East Greenwich, by Sir William Mohun, 3 Eliz.
Cornagh, — J. Longeland and ux. 3 Ric. II.
Crokmajor, — held of Arundell of Tolverne, by Coplestone, temp. Edw. IV.
Devy, — John Duke of Norfolk, 1 Ric. III.
Droungelow, — granted to George Duke of Clarence, 2 Edw. IV.; to Richard Duke of Gloucester,
4 Edw. IV.
Dysard, — Carminow and Bonville, temp. Ric. II. and Hen. VI.
Esternaynan, — granted to Lord Scrope, 2 Ric. III.
Geyte, — Curia de Geyte, to be held in the fee of Le Geyte, and not elsewhere, Pat. 14. Edw. III.
Godellian, — J. Reu, 7 Ric. II. Esch. (under the name of Godrevy.)
Grevely-Moor, — Nicholas Arundell, and Joan his wife, 3 Edw. IV.
Ham-horn Castle, —Walter Hopton, 1 Edw. IV.
Hardenenast, — Inkpen, Edw. I.—Edw. III.
Heanton, — John Beaumont, 3 Ric. II.
Henoke, — Pomeroy, 2 Edw. III.
Hervena, — A moiety was inherited by Hastings, from Hungerford and Bottreaux.
Heyvenis, — John Duke of Norfolk, 1 Ric. III.
Hunchane, — John Willington, 12 Edw. III.
Hurdwike, — inherited by Courtenay of Dauney, temp. Edw. III.
Langerton Castle, — Alice Carminow, 4 Hen. IV.
Langonet, — Sir William Fitz-Walter, 8 Ric. II.; J. Dernford, 19 Edw. IV.
Langwith, — held of the manor of East Greenwich, by Sir William Mohun, 30 Eliz.
Lannett, — Thomas Trethyan, 12 Ric. II.
Lanroxhou, — J. de Ripariis, 29 Edw. I.; Thomas Earl of Lancaster, 15 Edw. II.
Larky, — Killigrew, 1 Ric. III.
Leison, — John Wryter, Esch. 5 Edw. IV. (under the name of Reskymer.)
Leyros, — held under the Cardinhams, by Thomas Bodulgate, 11 Edw. IV.
Ludewoules, — Ralph Beaupré, 3 Edw. II.
Ludlen, — Bottreaux, 15 Ric. II.
Marsh, — Sir John Beaumont, 3 Ric. II.
Midland manor and franchise, in the hundred of Stratton, — Fitz-Walter, 3 Ric. II.
More, — held under the Cardinhams, by Thomas Bodulgate, 11 Edw. IV.
Nanstaven, — Arundell, 1 Ric. III. Rot. Parl.
North-Legh, — Bonville, 1 Edw. IV.
Peditt, — John Earl of Oxford, 1 Ric. III.
Pennalym, — John Ferway, and Agnes his wife, 22 Ric. II. (Qu. Penhallam.)
Portyllegres, — held of the manor of Blisland, by Ph. Coplestone, 13 Edw. IV.
Ragenys, — Arundell, 13 Edw. IV.
Redworye or Ridwari, — Pomeroy, Ric. II.; L'Ercedekne, Hen. IV.
Rosteneyth and Rutleton, — granted to John Duke of Norfolk, 1 Ric. III.
Roskell, — Carminow, 4 Hen. VI.
Serjeaux, — Thomas Bodulgate, 11 Edw. IV.
Shete, — Ph. Coplestone, 13 Edw. IV.
Slapton, — Guy de Brien, 1 Ric. II.
Talgollan, — L'Ercedekne, Ric. II. — Edw. IV.
Threugnyn, — held of Tywardreth lay-manor by Oto Colyn, 6 Edw. IV.
Tredower, — Marney, Hen. V. and VI.
Treenthast, — John Elmede, (without date.)
Tregda, — held of M. Pawton, by John Coke, Esq., 1640.
Tregewell (fn. 5) , — held of M. Polrode, by John Harington, 6 Hen. V.
Tregrian, — held of M. Tewinton, by Bodrugan, 6 Hen. VI.
Trehulle (fn. 6) , — Bonville, 9 Hen. IV.; Bodrugan, 6 Hen. VI., held of Hamely, as of his manor
Trelembyan, — Roskymer, 5 Edw. IV.
Tremwald or Tremwell, — Harington, by marriage with the coheiress of Loring. (Dugdale, and
Esch. 6 Edw. IV. Colyn.)
Trenewith and Trewithgy, in the hundred of Powder, — Beaupré, 3 Edw. III.; afterwards
Trenode, — Glyn, 13 Edw. IV.
Tresreyck, — Swinborne, 3 Hen. VI.
Tresward, — Reskymer, 5 Edw. IV.
Tretherym, — held of Tregony, by Bodrugan, 6 Hen. VI.
Tretheven, — Serjeaux, Ric. II. — Hen. IV.
Trethewry, — held of M. Treveney, by Nicholas Hele, 1640.
Trethmek, — William Trevenor, 1523.
Trethyne, — Bodrugan, 5 Edw. II.; Reskymer, 5 Edw. IV.
Treveney, — above-mentioned.
Trevilla, — Boscawen, 1561.
Trevyvyan, — Bodrugan, 6 Hen. VI.
Trewarleysick or Trelessick, — held of M. Trebigh, by William Mohun, 30 Eliz.
Trewithgy, — J. Longeland, 3 Ric. II.
Trewyne, — granted to Lord Scrope, 2 Ric. III.
Udnor or Udnowe, — J. Walesborowe, 5 Ric. II.
Womberlegh, — Willington, 12 & 23 Edw. II.
Wother, — St. Piers Edgcumbe, 1539, (Collins.)
Wycoteham, — John, Duke of Norfolk, 1 Ric. III.
Wygenbrys, — Sir John St. Aubyn, 14 Ric. II.