General history
Gentlemen's seats and deer parks

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Daniel and Samuel Lysons

Year published

1816

Pages

98-100

Citation Show another format:

'General history: Gentlemen's seats and deer parks', Magna Britannia: volume 4: Cumberland (1816), pp. XCVIII-C. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50668 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Gentlemen's Seats.

Names of the Seats. Parishes. Owners or Occupiers.
Armathwaite-Castle Hesket Robert Sanderson Milbourn, Esq.
Brayton Aspatria Wilfred Lawson, Esq.
Carleton-hall Penrith Rt. Hon. Thomas Wallace.
Calder Abbey St. Bride's Miss Senhouse.
Corby-Castle Wetheral Henry Howard, Esq.
Dalemain Dacre Edward Hasell, Esq.
Dovenby-hall Bridekirk Joseph Dykes Ballantine Dykes, Esq.
Dalehead Crosthwaite Thomas Stanger Leathes, Esq.
Ewanrigg Deerham John Christian, Esq.
Hayton-Castle Aspatria Mrs. Joliffe, (rented by the Rev. Isaac Robinson.)
Holmrook Gosforth Major Skeffington Lutwidge.
Hutton-hall Penrith Occupied by J.O. Yates, Esq. (the property of the Earl of Lonsdale.)
Hutton John Greystock Andrew Huddleston, Esq.
Irton-hall Edmund Lamplugh Irton, Esq.
Isel The property of Wilfred Lawson, Esq. (unoccupied.)
Justice-town Kirklinton Thomas Irwin, Esq.
Kirk-Oswald Timothy Smallwood Featherstonhaugh, Esq.
Linethwaite St. Bees Thomas Hartley, Esq.
Melmerby Rev. Thomas Pattinson.
Mirehouse Bassenthwaite John Spedding, Esq.
Moor-park Burgh on Sands Joseph Liddell, Esq.
Nether-hall Cross-Canonby Humphrey Senhouse, Esq.
Newbiggin-hall St. Mary's Carlisle Rev. S. Bateman.
Ponsonby-hall Edward Stanley, Esq.
Rickerby Stanwix James Graham, Esq.
Salkeld-Lodge Addingham Lt. Col. Lacy.
Staffold Kirk-Oswald Richard Lowthian Ross, Esq.
Skirwith Abbey Kirkland John Orfeur Yates, Esq.
Tallantire-hall Bridekirk William Browne, Esq.
Walton-hall William Ponsonby Johnson, Esq.
Warwick-hall Robert Warwick, Esq.
Woodside Chapelry of Wreay Executors of the late John Losh, Esq.
Workington-hall John Christian Curwen, Esq.

The following are amongst the ancient seats of the Cumberland gentry, which, having gone to decay, are for the most part fitted up as farm-houses ; Cardew and Warnell-halls, seats of the Dentons; Catterlen, a seat of the Vaux family; Croglin-hall, of the Towrys; Dalegarth, of the Stanleys; Drawdykes, of the Aglionbys; Greenthwaite-hall, of the Haltons; Harbybrow, of the Highmores; Huthwaite-hall, of the Swinburns; Hawksdalehall, of the Nicolsons ; High-head-castle, of the Richmonds ; Hardrigg-hall, of the Southaics; Ilekirk, of the Barwis's; Lamplugh-hall, of the Lamplughs; Lanercost Abbey, of the Dacres; Millom-castle, of the Huddlestons; Newton-Regny, Ribton, and Wythorp, of the Lowthers; Salter-hall and White-hall, of the Salkelds; Seascales, of the Senhouses ; Seaton-hall of the Askews; Scales-hall, of the Broughams; Warthole, of the Dykes family; and Whitbeck, of the Parkes.

Forests and Deer-Parks.

The forest of Inglewood, formerly so abounded in venison, that King Edward I. during a few days which he spent in Cumberland for the purpose of hunting, is said to have killed 200 bucks in it (fn. 1) . The prior and convent of Carlisle had the tithe of venison in this forest (fn. 2) . The Duke of Devonshire is the present proprietor of this forest, which was granted by King William III. to the Earl of Portland.

There were formerly deer-parks at Cockermouth, Naworth, Brampton, Isel, Brayton, Castlerigg, Ulpha (fn. 3) , Millom, &c. and a paddock at Crookdake.

The Duke of Norfolk has extensive deer parks at Greystock and Gowbarrow (fn. 4) . There are deer parks also at Muncaster and Crofton, and a paddock at Nether-hall.

Footnotes

1 Chron. Lanercost.
2 Prynne's Records, Vol. III. p. 672.
3 The deer in this park were said to be the largest and the fattest in the North of England. T. Denton's MS.
4 See p. 106.