Gresley, of Drakelow. — This ancient family derive their origin from
Nigel de Stafford, (said to have been one of the younger sons of Roger de
Toni, Standard-bearer of Normandy,) which Nigel had large possessions in
this county. The grandson of Nigel was Robert de Greslei, so called from
Gresley in this county, one of the manors belonging to his grandfather at the
time of the Domesday Survey; William de Greslei, his son was of Drakelow in the same parish, the present seat of the family. Sir Nicholas, the
sixth in descent from William, married the heiress of Wasteneys, of Colton
in Staffordshire, from whom this family inherited large possessions. George,
the seventh in descent from Sir Nicholas, was created a Baronet in 1611.
Sir Thomas, the second baronet, (grandson of Sir Nicholas) married a
coheiress of Morewood; his grandson, Sir Thomas, the fourth baronet, a
coheiress of Sir William Bowyer, Bart, of Staffordshire. The title is
now enjoyed by Sir Roger Gresley, a minor, born in 1799,
great grandson of the last-mentioned Sir Thomas, who is
the eighth baronet of the family: he was son of Sir Nigel
the late baronet by his second wife, the heiress of Garway.
Arms: — Vaire, Erm. and Gules.
Crest: — On a wreath, a lion passant, Erm. armed,
langued, and collared, Gules.
Harpur, of Calke, (now Crewe). —The Harpurs were an ancient Warwickshire family; the first who settled in Derbyshire, was Richard Harpur,
Esq. one of the Justices of the Common-pleas, in the reign of Elizabeth, a
native of Chester, where a younger branch of the Harpur family at that
time resided. Judge Harpur seated himself at Swarkston-hall, which had
belonged to the Rollestons; he married the heiress of Findern, of Finadern, by whom he had two sons, Sir John, ancestor of the Harpurs of
Swarkston, Breadsall, and Calke, and Sir Richard, ancestors of the
Harpurs of Little-Over. The elder or Swarkston branch became extinct after
four generations, the coheiresses (sisters of Sir John, the last heir male, who
died in 1677,) married Gilbert of Locko and Cooper of Thurgarton in Nottinghamshire. John, the second son of Sir John Harpur of Swarkston,
married the heiress of Dethick; his son, Sir John, who was of Swarkston,
after the extinction of that line, married the heiress of Henry Howard, of
the Suffolk family, by whom he had a son, who married, but left no issue.
Henry, the third son of Sir John Harpur of Swarkston, before mentioned,
was created a Baronet in 1626. Sir John Harpur, his great-grandson, the
fourth baronet, married one of the coheiresses of Thomas Lord Crewe, of
Stean, (by his second wife, a coheiress of Armine.) The present and seventh
baronet, is Sir Henry, great-grandson of Sir John. In the year 1808, he
took the name of Crewe, by the King's sign-manual, in consequence of
his descent from Lord Crewe, as above-mentioned.
The elder branch of the Harpurs of Little-Over, became extinct by the
death of John Harpur, Esq., in 1754; the heiress married Heathcote. A
younger branch of the Harpurs of Little-Over, was settled for three descents
at Twyfor.d, which estate came afterwards to a younger branch of the
Harpurs, of Calke, the coheiresses of which married Francis
Arms:—Argent, a lion rampant and a border engrailed,
Sable. The Twyford branch bore a canton, S. charged
with a fret, Argent, for difference.
Crest:—On a wreath, a boar passant, Or, bristled, G.
and collared with a ducal coronet of the second.
Every, of Egginton.— Simon Every, who was created a baronet in 1641,
was of a Somersetshire family: he settled at Egginton in this county in
consequence of his marriage with Mary, elder daughter and coheir of Sir
Henry Leigh. Sir Henry, the third baronet, married one of the coheiresses
of Russel, of Strensham in Worcestershire, but left no issue either by her
or by his second wife. His brother, Sir John Every the succeeding baronet,
was a naval officer of some note in the reign of King William. Upon the
death of his younger brother the Reverend Sir John Every, the seventh
baronet, in 1779, the elder branch became extinct, and the
title devolved to Mr. Edward Every, then of Derby, being
the fourth in descent from Francis, third son of Sir Simon,
the first baronet, which Francis was buried at Egginton in
1708; his son, Sir Henry, is the present baronet.
Arms:—Or, four chevronels, Gules.
Crest:—An unicorn's head, couped, Proper.
Curzon, of Kedleston. See Lord Scarsdale.
Hunloke, of Wingerworth. — The first of this family who settled in
Derbyshire, was Nicholas Hunloke who purchased Wingerworth of the
Curzons in the reign of Henry VIII. Henry Hunloke, his grandson, who was
Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1624, married to his second wife, the heiress of
Alvey. Henry his son, by her, was for his signal services in the battle of
Edghill, created a Baronet in 1643; his son, the second baronet, married
the heiress of Tyrwhit, in consequence of which marriage, the late Sir
Thomas Windsor Hunloke was, in 1806, adjudged by the House of Lords
to be one of the coheirs of Robert de Roos, who was summoned to parliament, 49 Henry III. (fn. 1) The barony being taken out of abeyance, was then
given to Lady Henry Fitzgerald. The present and sixth baronet of this
family is Sir Henry Hunloke, a minor, born in 1812.
Arms of Hunloke: — Azure, a fesse between three tigers'
heads erased, Or.
Crest: — On a chapeau Azure, turned up Erm. a cockatrice with wings expanded, Proper; comb, beak, and
Boothby, of Broadlow-Ash.— This family was originally of Boothby in
Lincolnshire. Henry, third son of William Boothby, a merchant in London,
was created a baronet by King Charles I., in 1644, but the patent never
passed the seals: he was described as of Clatercote in Oxfordshire. His
grandson William, being of Broadlow-Ash, near Ashborne in Derbyshire,
procured a renewal of the patent, although not with precedence from 1644.
His son Francis, who died in his father's life-time, married a coheiress of
Child; Henry the grandson, who was the second Baronet, died without
issue, when the title devolved to William son of Sir William, by his second
wife who was a coheiress of Brooke; he was succeeded by his grandson of the
same name, on whose death, in 1787, the title went to Brooke Boothby, son
of Brooke, second son of Sir William before mentioned,
by the coheiress of Brooke. The late Sir Brooke, who
enjoyed the title only two years, married the heiress of
Hollins; he was succeeded by his son Sir Brooke Boothby,
the present and sixth baronet.
Arms: — Argent, on a canton, Sable, a lion's paw erased,
in bend, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath, a lion's paw erased, erect, Or.
Cavendish, of Doveridge. See Lord Waterpark.
Wilmot, of Chaddesden.— This family was originally of Nottinghamshire, afterwards of Derby. They have been settled at Chaddesden
somewhat more than two centuries. Robert Wilmot (fn. 2) , who was living in 1600,
married the heiress of Shrigley. His descendant, Dr. Edward Wilmot,
physician to the late King and to his present Majesty, was created a Baronet
in 1759; his son, (by the daughter of the celebrated Dr. Mead,) Sir
Robert Mead Wilmot, married the heiress of Wollet, and
was father of Sir Robert Wilmot, the present baronet.
Arms: — Sable, on a fesse, Or, between three eagles'
heads couped, Arg. as many escallops, Gules.
Crest:—An eagle's head, couped, Argent, in its beak
an escallop, Gules.
Wilmot, of Osmaston.— This branch of the family descended from Sir
Nicholas, a younger son of Robert Wilmot of Chaddesden above-mentioned,
by the heiress of Shrigley. Robert, the elder son of Sir Nicholas, married
the heiress of Eardley, and his eldest son, Robert, a coheiress of Sir Samuel
Marow, Bart. Robert, the son of the last-mentioned marriage, was created a
Baronet in 1772, with remainder to Robert Wilmot, Esq. of
Osmaston, who is the second and present baronet.
Arms: — The same as Wilmot of Chaddesden, with the
distinction of a border, engrailed, Or, (granted in 1760.)
Crest:—The same as Wilmot of Chaddesden, the
eagle's head being gorged with a collar engrailed, Azure,
Fitzherbert, of Tissington.—The Tissington branch of this ancient
family, is descended from Nicholas, a younger son of John Fitzherbert of
Somersall, which Nicholas, about the middle of the fourteenth century, acquired Tissington, by marrying a coheiress of Meynell. The Fitzherberts had
possessed Somersall, which from them acquired the name of Somersall-Herbert, beyond the reach of records. The elder branch of the family became
extinct by the death of Richard Fitzherbert, Esq., of Somersall in 1803.
William Fitzherbert, Esq., of Tissington, the immediate descendant of
Nicholas above-mentioned, was created a Baronet in 1783. He was succeeded,
in 1791, by his eldest son Anthony, and Sir
Anthony, in 1799, by his brother Henry, the present and
third Baronet. Alleyn Fitzherbert, brother of Sir William
the first baronet, was, in 1801, created Baron St. Helen's.
Arms: — Gules, three lions rampant, Or.
Crest:—An armed arm, erect, couped; vested, Ermine,
Hastings, of Willesley-hall. — Charles Hastings, Esq. (a natural son
of Francis, Earl of Huntingdon), who married the heiress
of Abney, of Willesley-hall, was created a Baronet in 1806.
Sir Charles Hastings is a General in the army.
Arms: — Arg. a maunch, within a border engrailed, Sab.
Crest: — A bull's head, erased, Erminois, attired, and
ducally gorged, Argent.
Bateman, of Hartington. — It is uncertain when the Bateman family
first settled at Hartington; but, probably, in the early part of the sixteenth
century: they first appear in the parish Register, in the year 1554: it is probable that they came from Norfolk, where a family of that name, of considerable
note, existed in the fourteenth century. (fn. 3) Hugh Bateman, Esq., the immediate descendant and representative of Hugh Bateman, who was baptized
at Hartington in 1554, was, in 1806, created a Baronet, with remainder, successively, to the male issue of his two daughters, since married to the eldest
son of Sir Joseph Scott, Bart., and to Sir Alexander Hood. Sir Hugh Bateman's grandfather married a. coheiress of Osborne, by a coheiress of Sacheverell.
Robert, a younger brother of Hugh Bateman, of Hartington-hall,
which Robert died in 1645, was a merchant in London and Chamberlain of
the City; three of his younger sons, William, Anthony, and Thomas, were
Aldermen of London, all knighted by King Charles II., at the Restoration,
and designated as Knights of the Royal Oak, had the Institution of that order
taken effect. Sir Anthony was Lord Mayor of London in
1664; Sir Thomas who was in the same year created a Baronet, died without male issue.
Arms: — Or, three crescents, each surmounted by an
etoile of six points, Gules; a dexter canton, Azure.
Crest: — A crescent, surmounted by an etoile, Gules,
between two eagle's wings, Or.
Sitwell, of Renishaw-hall. — The family of Sitwell was settled in the
parish of Eckington early in the sixteenth century. (fn. 4) They afterwards became possessed of Renishaw-hall in that parish. Upon the death of Francis
Sitwell, Esq., in 1753, without issue, his estates devolved to Francis Hurt,
(son of his cousin-german, Catherine, daughter of William Sitwell, Esq.)
Mr. Hurt took the name of Sitwell in 1777, and was father of Sitwell
Sitwell, Esq., who was created a Baronet in 1808. Sir
Sitwell died in 1811, and was succeeded by his only son,
George, a minor (born in 1797), who is the present
Arms: — Barry of eight, O. and Vert; over all, three
lions rampant, Sable.
Crest: — A demi-lion rampant, erased, Sable, holding
an escutcheon, per pale, Or and Vert.
Baronets who were not described as of Derbyshire at the Time of their
Burdett, of Bramcote, in Warwickshire, now of Foremark, in Derbyshire. This ancient family was of Leicestershire immediately after the
conquest. Sir Robert Burdett settled at Arrow, in Warwickshire, in the
reign of Edward II. Thomas, his immediate descendant, being then of
Bramcote, was created a Baronet in 1618. Previously to this period, the
heiresses or coheiresses of Camville, Veale, Bruin, and Waldief, had
married into the family. Sir Thomas Burdett, Bart., acquired Foremark
by marriage with the heiress of Francis; and it became, in consequence, the chief seat of the family. Francis, son of Sir
Robert Burdett, the fourth baronet, married the heiress of
Jones, of Ramsbury manor, Wilts, and died in his father's
life-time: his son, Francis, is the fifth and present baronet.
Arms: — Azure, two bars, Or.
Crest:—On a wreath, a lion's head, erased, Sable, langued, Gules.
Cave, of Stanford, Northamptonshire, now Cave Browne, of Strettonin-the-Fields, Derbyshire. On the death of the Rev. Sir Charles Cave of
Thedingworth, in Leicestershire, in 1810, the title devolved to William
Cave Browne, Esq., of Stretton, descended from Roger, elder son of Sir
Roger Cave, Bart., who died in 1703, by his second wife. This Roger
married Catherine, daughter of William Browne, Esq., of Stretton: his son
John, on succeeding to this estate took the name and arms of Browne, in
1753, and was father of Sir William Cave Browne, Bart.
The heiress of Bromflete, and coheiresses of Genell and
Danvers, have married into the Cave family.
Arms of Browne, of Stretton: — Azure, a chevron between three escallops, Or; a border engrailed, Gules.
Crest:—An ostrich, Argent, the wings, collar, and
Banks, of Revesby-Abbey, in Lincolnshire, now occasionally resident at
Overton-hall, in Derbyshire.—The family of Banks was originally of Yorkshire. Joseph Banks, Esq., M. P. for Peterborough, married the heiress of
Hodgkinson: William, his son, took the name of Hodgkinson for the Overton estate, which afterwards passed to his younger brother, the late Robert
Banks Hodgkinson, Esq. Joseph Banks, Esq., of Revesby-Abbey, (son of
William, above-mentioned, who had resumed the name of Banks, and grandson of Joseph Banks, above-mentioned) was created a Baronet in 1783.
On the death of his uncle, Robert Banks Hodgkinson, in 1792, he
became possessed of Overton-hall, which has since been
his occasional residence. In 1795, he was made Knight
of the Bath; and upon the new-modelling of that order in
1814, one of the Knights Grand Cross. Sir Joseph married
one of the coheiresses of Hugesson, of Provender in Kent.
Arms: — Sable, a cross, Or, between four fleurs-de-lis,
Crest:— On the stump of a tree, couped, Proper, a
stork, close, Argent, beaked, Or.
Leake, of Sutton, 1611. See Earl of Scarsdale, among the extinct
Kniveton, of Mercaston, 1611.—This ancient family, was originally
of Kniveton, whence they took their name. Sir Matthew Kniveton was
settled at Bradley in the reign of Edward I., and there the eider branch
continued till the early part of Charles I.'s reign, when it became extinct,
after a continuance of about fifteen generations. Matthew, a younger son of
Sir Matthew Kniveton above-mentioned, settled at Mercaston. Thomas,
the eighth in descent from Matthew, married a coheiress of Leche of Chatsworth. His son William, who was created a Baronet in 1611, married the
heiress of Rollesley of Rollesley-hall. Sir Gilbert, the second baronet, who
married the heiress of Gray, of Tanney in Hertfordshire, removed to Bradley after the extinction of the elder branch. Sir Andrew, the third baronet,
a zealous Royalist, having been much impoverished by the civil war, sold
Bradley and the greater part, if not the whole, of the family estates. Sir
Andrew had a younger brother, Thomas, and three sisters married to Sir
Aston Cokaine, Pegge of Yeldersley, and Henry Neville. We have not
been able to find when the title became extinct; but Collins, in his Baronet
age of 1720, says that Sir Thomas Kniveton, one of the Gentlemen P???sioners in the reign of Charles II. was supposed to have been the last
Baronet. This Sir Thomas continued to belong to the band of Gentlemen
Pensioners, in the early part of King William's reign, and was living in
1690. He was the younger brother of Sir Andrew Kniveton before
Arms: — The bearings of this family have been various. The earliest
coats were, a chevron between three knives, borne by Sir Henry Kniveton,
temp. Edw. I., and Gules, a bend vaire, Arg. and Sable.
Sir Henry Kniveton, temp. Edw. III. bore a bend, vaire.
between six crosses formee. A later coat, and that borne
by the baronets of the family, was Gules, a chevron, vaire,
Argent and Sable.
Crest, a demi-eagle issuing from a wreath, Or, the wings
Willoughby, of Risley, 1611.—Sir Richard Willoughby, who, during a
great part of the reign of Edward III. was one of the justices of the Common-pleas, and sometime chief justice of the King's-bench, acquired the
Risley estate by marriage with the heiress of Morteyne: his younger son
Hugh, settled at Risley. The son of Hugh married the heiress of
Dabridgecourt, and his son, it appears, bore his mother's arms, (Ermine,
three bars humettee) which are engraved on his monument at Wilne, impaled with Clifton. Henry, the last heir male of this branch, was created
a baronet in 16II, during the life-time of his father, Sir John Willoughby,
who died in 1625. Sir Henry dying without male issue, in 1649, the title
became extinct: he had four daughters; by his first wife, Elizabeth and
Anne; by his second wife, (the coheiress of Darcy,) Catherine and Elizabeth. The elder, Elizabeth, married Sir Henry Griffith, and died without issue; Anne married Sir Thomas Aston, Bart., and afterwards, the
Honourable Anchetil Grey, second son of the Earl of Stamford; Catherine married Sir J.Bellingham, Bart., and afterwards George Purefoy, Esq.; and Elizabeth, the youngest,
Sir Symonds Dewes, Bart., and afterwards Sir John Wray,
Arms of Willoughby, of Risley: — Or, on two bars,
Gules, three water bougets, Argent.
Crest: — An owl, crowned, Or.
Foljambe, of Walton, 1622. — The first of this family of whom we have
any account in the pedigrees, is Sir Thomas Foljambe, whose son, Sir
Thomas, appears to have been settled at Darley. Sir Godfrey, son of the
last-mentioned Sir Thomas, died in or about the year 1376; his son Thomas
married the heiress of Loudham, of Walton near Chesterfield, which was
the seat of his posterity for several generations. Sir James and Godfrey,
sons of Sir Godfrey, who was great-grandson of Thomas above-mentioned,
married the coheiresses of Fitzwilliam of Aldwark. George, a third son,
was of Barlborough, where his elder son, Henry, was living in 1569.
Francis Foljambe, Esq.. descended from Sir James, who married one of
the coheiresses of Fitzwiliiam, was created a Baronet in 1622. The title,
and the elder branch of the family became extinct at his death. Aldwark, in
Yorkshire, inherited from Fitzwiliiam, continued to be the seat of a younger
branch, till that also became extinct, in the male line, about the year 1740.
The Staffordshire branch of Foljambe was descended from an illegitimate
son of Godfrey Foljambe, who married the other coheiress of Fitzwiliiam,
but died without lawful issue.
Arms of Foljambe:—Sable, a bend between six escallops,
Crest:—In the year 1513, Godfrey Foljambe, of Walton had a grant of the following crest; — A Calopus or
Chatloup, passant, quarterly, Or and Sable, the horns quarterly in like manner. The family nevertheless bore, at a
later date, for their crest, a man's leg couped at the thigh,
quarterly, Or and Sable, spurred, of the first.
Rodes, of Barlborough. 1641.—This was an ancient Nottinghamshire
family. William, sixth in descent from Sir Gerard Rodes, who lived in the
reign of King John, married the heiress of Cachehors, of Stavely-Woodthorpe in Derbyshire, where his posterity settled. Francis Rodes, the fifth
in descent from William, was one of the justices of the Common-pleas in
the reign of Queen Elizabeth: he purchased Barlborough, which, in his
son's time, became the seat of the family. His grandson, Sir Francis Rodes,
Knt., created a Baronet in 1641, married the heiress of Lascelles, of Sturton,
in Nottinghamshire. The title and the male line of the family became
extinct by the death of Sir John Rodes, the fourth baronet, in 1743. His
sister and heiress married Gilbert Heathcote, whose grandson, Gilbert, took
the name of Rodes, and died in 1768. Cornelius, nephew of the latter,
took the name of Rodes in addition to that of Heathcote
in 1776, and is the present possessor of the Barlborough
estate, and representative, in the female line, of the ancient
family of Rodes.
Arms: — Arg. two cottises Ermine, and in bend a
lion passant-guardant, Gules, between two acorns, Azure.
Crest: — On a wreath, a hand couped at the wrist, holding an oak bough with acorns thereon, Proper.
Coke, of Longford, 1641.— Clement, the sixth son of Lord Chief Justice
Sir Edward Coke, settled at Longford in the early part of the seventeenth
century. (fn. 5) Sir Edward was the representative of an ancient Norfolk family,
into which the heiress of Crispin and coheiresses of Folcard and Knightly
had married; he himself married a coheiress of Paston; his son Clement,
a coheiress of Rediche, by the heiress of Dethick of Newhall. Edward
Coke, Esq., of Longford, son of Clement, was created a Baronet in 1641:
he married a coheiress of Dyer; his son, the second baronet, a coheiress
of Barker. The title of this branch of the family became extinct by the
death of Sir Edward, the third baronet, in 1727. After this event, Longford passed to the elder or Holkham branch, which became extinct by the
death of Robert Coke, Esq. Wenman Roberts Esq,, his nephew, took
the name of Coke in 1756, and was father of T. W. Coke, Esq. M.P., now
of Holkham, and of Edward Coke, Esq., of Longford, M. P. for Derby.
Arms:—Per pale, Gules, and Azure, three eagles displayed, Argent.
Crest: — On a wreath, an ostrich, Argent, in the beak a
Gell, of Hopton, 1641.—The Gells were of Hopton as early as the
reign of Edward III. (fn. 6) Sir John Gell was created a baronet in 1642. The
title and the male line of the family became extinct by the death of Sir
Philip Gell, the third Baronet in 1719: his sister and eventually heiress married William Eyre, Esq., of Highlow, whose second son, John, took the
name of Gell, about the year 1735. He married a coheiress of Jessop, of
Broom-hall in the parish of Sheffield, by the heiress of
Lord Darcy, of the kingdom of Ireland; and was grandfather of Philip Gell, Esq. M. P., the present possessor of
Arms of Gell: — Per bend, Azure and Or, three mullets
of six points, in bend, pierced and counter-changed.
Crest: — A greyhound statant, Sable, collared, Or.
Pye, of Hoone, 1664.— The ancient family of Pye was originally of
Kilpec-castle in Herefordshire: their descendant, Sir Robert Pye, who
married a coheiress of Croker, settled at Farringdon in Berkshire, in the
early part of the sixteenth century; his second son, John
who settled at Hoone in Derbyshire, was created a Baronet
in 1664. The title became extinct in 1734, by the death of
Sir Robert Pye, the fourth Baronet.
Arms: — Ermine, a bend, fusily, Gules.
Crest: — A cross crosslet fitchee, Gules, standing between a pair of wings, displayed, Argent.
Jenkinson, of Walton, 1685. — Richard Jenkinson inherited Walton from
his uncle, Paul Fletcher: his son Paul was created a Baronet in 1685. Sir
Paul, the second baronet, married one of the coheiresses of
Revel, of Ogston. The title became extinct on the death
of his younger brother, the third baronet, in 1741.
Arms:—Azure, two barrulets in fesse, Or; in chief
three suns, Proper.
Crest:—On a wreath, a sea-horse's head couped, Azure,
finned, and gorged with two barrulets, Or.
Barker, of Glapwell.—This family was of considerable antiquity in Derbyshire. The Barkers were originally of Dore, and are mentioned in the list
of Gentry, temp. Hen. VI.: they were afterwards of Norton-Lees, which was
acquired by marriage with the heiress of Parker of that place and of Dronfield-Woodhouse. Sir Robert Barker, who married the heiress of Brabazon
Hallowes, Esq., of Glapwell, was the last of the family. He was created a
Baronet in 1781, and died in 1789.
Arms: — Per chevron, engrailed, Or and Sable, a lion
rampant counter-changed; a canton Azure charged with a
fleur de lis, Or.
Crest: — A demi-dragon, wings expanded, Vert, holding
in the fore paw a sword erect, Proper.
Levinge, of Parwich, and afterwards of High-Park, Westmeath, in the
kingdom of Ireland. An Irish baronet. — Thomas Levinge descended from,
a Norfolk family, purchased Parwich of the Cokaines soon after the year
1600; his descendant, Sir Richard Levinge, Speaker of the House of
Commons and Lord Chief Justice of the King's-bench, in Ireland, was
created a Baronet in 1685, and was ancestor of the present
Sir Richard Levinge, Bart., who sold Parwich (after it had
long ceased to be a seat of the family,) in 1814.
Arms: — Vert, a chevron, Or; in chief; three escallop
Crest:—Within a chaplet, Vert, an escallop shell,
The present Baronets' seats are, Ash borne-hall, Sir Brooke Boothby's;
Calke, Sir Henry Crewe's; Wingerworth, Sir Henry Hunloke's; Egginton,
Sir Henry Every's; Tissington, Sir Henry Fitzherbert's; Chaddesden, Sir
Robert Wilmot's; Osmaston, Sir Robert Wilmot's; Foremark, Sir Francis
Burdet's; and Stretton, Sir William Cave Browne's. Of these, only Sir
Henry Crewe, Sir Henry Every, Sir Henry Fitzherbert, Sir Robert Wilmot
of Chaddesden, and Sir William Cave Browne, are at present resident in
the county. Ashborne-hall, is in the tenure of Richard Arkwright, Esq.,
jun. Wingerworth is shut up during the minority of the present baronet.
Foremark and Osmaston are at present uninhabited.