GLOSSOP, in the hundred and deanery of High-Peak, lies in the extreme
Northern part of the county, on the borders of Yorkshire and Cheshire,
about ten miles north from Chapel-en-le-Frith.
This extensive parish, which is upwards of sixteen miles in length, and
upon an average, perhaps about five in breadth, comprises the township of
Glossop, including the vills or hamlets of Hadfield, Padfield, Whitfield,
Chunall, Dinting, Simondley, and Charlsworth (fn. 1) ; besides those which
are in the parochial chapelries of Hayfield and Mellor.
There is a fair at Glossop on the 6th of May, for horned cattle, wooden,
and tin wares.
The manor of Glossop, which extends over Glossop and its seven hamlets,
belonged, as parcel of the Lordship of Longendale or Longdendale, to the
crown, at the time of taking the Domesday Survey. King Henry I. granted
it as part of a still larger district, his domain of the Peak, to William
Peverel, on the attainder of whose son it reverted to the crown. King
Henry II. gave the manor of Glossop, with the church and its other appurtenances, in the year 1157 (fn. 2) , to the abbey of Basingwerk. King Henry VIII.
gave this manor, in 1537, to George Earl of Shrewsbury. It now belongs
to the Duke of Norfolk, as descended from one of the coheiresses of Gilbert
Earl of Shrewsbury, who died in 1616. This estate had been settled on a
younger branch of the Howard family, and belonged to the present Duke
before his accession to the title, when he occasionally resided at Glossophall, which is in the occupation of his Grace's agent.
In the parish church are the monuments of Joseph Hague, Esq., of Parkhall, near Hayfield, who died in 1786, aged 90, (with his bust by Bacon;)
Thomas Wagstaffe, Esq., of London, merchant, 1771 ; and Miss Mary
Doxon, of Manchester, 1816.
Mr. Hague founded the school at Whitfield, and left the interest of
1000l. to be laid out in clothes for twelve poor men and twelve poor
women, of the eight townships of Glossop, besides other charities to
Glossop and the chapelry of Hayfield.
The church of Glossop was appropriated to the abbey of Basingwerk.
The Duke of Norfolk is now impropriator and patron of the vicarage.
There are chapels belonging to the Independents at Charlsworth and
Hadfield; and the Wesleyan Methodists at Glossop and Whitfield.
At Glossop is a grammar school, of the foundation of which little is
known. The endowment, a great part of which is lost, is now only 40s. a
year. The Duke of Norfolk gives an annual benefaction of 10l.
There are twenty-four cotton-mills within the manor of Glossop, and
above thirty in other parts of the parish; four or five extensive calico or
print works at Thornsett and elsewhere; two clothing mills in the manor of
Glossop; and a mill for making brown paper, and a cloth manufactory at
The population of this parish, from the increase of manufactures, has
been doubled within the last five and thirty years. (fn. 3) It appears that the
number of inhabitants had increased from 8873 to 10,797, between the
years 1801 and 1811.
Charlsworth, which lies about three miles from Glossop and about five
from Hayfield, had formerly a market on Wednesdays (fn. 4) , and a fair at the
festival of St. Mary Magdalen, granted in 1328, to the abbot of Basingwerk. (fn. 5) That monastery acquired considerable landed property in Charlsworth, Chunall, and Simondly, in the years 1307 and 1308, There is now
a cattle fair at Charlsworth on the 25th of April.
The chapel at this place belonged formerly to the establishment, and in
the Liber Regis it is described as a chapel of ease to Glossop; but more
than a century ago, it was, by permission of the Howard family, in the
hands of the Presbyterians. In 1716, Mr. John Bennet left the interest of
20l. for the benefit of the Presbyterian minister at Charlsworth. The
chapel, which has been lately rebuilt, is now in the hands of the
Near Gamelsly is the Roman camp, called Melandra castle.
The manor of Whitfield was conveyed, in 1330, by Thomas Le Ragged
to John Foljambe: it has been long held with the manor of Glossop, and is
now the property of his Grace the Duke of Norfolk.
The late Mr. Hague, who died in 1786, founded a school at Whitfield, the
endowment of which is about 40l. per annum.
An act of parliament for inclosing lands in the township of Whitfield
passed in 1810.
The chapelry of Hayfield contains the hamlets or townships of GreatHamlet, Phocide and Kinder, Ollersett, Beard, and part of Thornset. The
hamlets of Bugsworth and Brownside, and part of Chinley, in the southern
part of the parish of Glossop, are esteemed also to be within this chapelry.
The village of Hayfield, which lies about five miles from Chapel-en-le-Frith,
is in the township of Phoside and Kinder, In the vale between Newmills and Hayfield are three calico print-works. There are annual fairs at
Hayfield, May 11th for cattle, horses, and sheep; and July 23d for sheep
The rood-loft in the chapel remains entire, but the upper part has been
modernised; on the front is a painting of the crucifixion, with St. Peter and
St. John, which bears the date of 1775. There are tablets giving a particular account (fn. 6) of the endowment of the chapel and the school.
The chapel of Hayfield was augmented by Queen Anne's bounty, procured by subscription, in 1733; in 1801, by lot; in 1805, by another subscription; in 1806, by a parliamentary grant 5 and in 1812, by a third subscription of the inhabitants; the whole of the augmentations amounting to
the sum of 1700l. The freeholders of the chapelry appoint the minister.
There is a Quakers' meeting in this chapelry; chapels of the Wesleyan
Methodists at Hayfield, the part of New-mills which is in this chapelry, and
at Chinley. The Independents have a meeting house at Chinley.
Great-Hamlet, Phoside or Foreside, and Kinder; and the hamlets or vills
of Chinley, Bugsworth, and Brownside, are within the manor of High-Peak,
on lease to the Duke of Devonshire.
The manor of Beard belonged to the ancient family of Beard, of Beardhall, and passed with the heiress of Richard Beard, the last of the elder
branch to two brothers of the Leigh family, to whom she was successively married: the Leighs appear to have been succeeded by the Duncalfes. John Earl of Shrewsbury was possessed of this manor in the reign
of Henry VIII., and it has passed with Ollersett and Eyam to Lord
George Cavendish. Beard-hall is now a farm-house. Ollersett-hall, formerly the seat of the Bradbury family is now a farm-house, belonging to
Mr. George Newton.
The chapelry of Mellor lies about eight miles south-west from Glossop,
on the borders of Cheshire, and about the same distance from Chapen-en-le-Frith. It comprises the vills, hamlets, or townships, of Melior, Ludworth, Chisworth, Whittle, and part of Thornsett. The greater part of
the populous village of New-mills, is in the hamlet of Whittle and in this
chapelry: the villages of Raworth, Marple-bridge, and Mellor-moor-end,
are also in this chapelry. Melior and Whittle are part of the Lordship of
Longdendale, on lease to the Duke of Devonshire. A subordinate manor
of Melior belonged, at an early period, to the ancient family of Melior, one
of whose coheiresses married Stafford in the fourteenth century. In the
year 1704, Thomas Stafford of Stockport and Tristram, his son sold the
manor of Melior, and Bothams-hall in Melior, to James Chetham, Gent.,
whose great-grandson, Thomas Chetham, Esq., of Highgate in Middlesex,
sold the Bothams-hall estate, in 1787, to Samuel Oldknow, Esq., the present
proprietor. Mr. Oldknow has large cotton works at Melior, which employ
between 400 and 500 hands.
Mellor-hall, anciently the seat of the Melior family, and afterwards of the
Radcliffes, was purchased in 1686, by James Chetham, Esq. The Mellorhall (fn. 7) estate was purchased of Thomas Chetham, Esq., about 1797, by Mr.
Ralph Bridge, whose son now occupies the hall as a farm-house. Part of the
land has been purchased with Queen Anne's bounty for the purpose of
augmenting the living of Mellor.
In the chapel and chapel-yard at Mellor are recorded several instances of
longevity. (fn. 8) The minister of the chapel is appointed by trustees acting under
the will of the late John Thornton, Esq., of Clapham. The appointment was in
the Chetham family, and was purchased by Mr. Thornton of Thomas Chetham,
Esq., in or about the year 1787. The income of the minister, which is now
rather more than l00l. per annum, arises partly from the rent of seats, and
partly from augmentation. Queen Anne's bounty was first procured for it
about the year 1764, when 200l. was contributed by Thomas Chetham, Esq.,
and other inhabitants of the chapelry. In 1792, it had an augmentation of
200l. by lot: in 1809, Miss Shaw of Mellor, bequeathed the sum of 200l.,
for the purpose of procuring the bounty a third time. These sums have
been laid out in the purchase of lands, parcel of the Mellor-hall estate, as
The Independents have a small meeting-house at Marple-bridge in this
Thomas Walklate having left by will the sum of 160l. for founding a
charity school at Mellor, with that and other smaller sums, certain closes
were purchased in the reign of Charles II., now let at 25l. per annum. Seven
of the principal inhabitants are trustees.
In the year 1345, Thomas le Ragged enfeoffed John Foljambe of twothirds of the manor of Chisworth (fn. 9) ; in 1360, the whole manor was conveyed
by Richard Foljambe and Robert de Holt to the Abbey of Basingwerk (fn. 10) : it
has since been considered as parcel of the manor of Glossop. Ludworth is
also parcel of that manor.
GRESLEY, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of
Repington, lies south of the Trent, about four miles from Burton, and about
six from Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
The parish contains the townships of Church and Castle-Gresley, Drakelow, Linton, the village or hamlet of Swadlincote, and part of Donisthorpe
At Church-Gresley was a priory of Austin monks, founded in the reign of
Henry I., by Nigel de Gresley: it was endowed with lands chiefly in this
parish, valued at the time of the dissolution at 31l. 6s. 0d., clear yearly income. King Henry VIII. granted the site, in 1543, to Henry Cliche, and
within a few years it passed successively to Richard Appleton and John Seymour. In the year 1556, Sir Christopher Aleyne, Knt., purchased this
estate with the manor of Church-Gresley, of the Seymours. The site of
the priory, of which there are no remains, was adjoining to the parish
church. Sir Christopher Aleyne above-mentioned, was son of Sir John Aleyne
some time Lord Mayor of London, who by his will, bearing date 1545, be
queathed his collar of S.S.of fine gold, to his successors, to be worn during their
mayoralty on condition of their attending his obit. John Aleyne, Esq., his
descendant died seised of the manor of Church-Gresley and the Priory estate
in 1712, leaving his only son, Samuel, then a minor, who died without issue
in 1734. This estate was afterwards in the Meynells, of whom it was purchased, about the year 1775, by Sir Nigel Gresley, Bart, grandfather of Sir
Roger Gresley, Bart., the present proprietor.
In the parish church are monuments for the families of Aleyne (fn. 11) , and
Gresley. (fn. 12) Sir Roger Gresley is impropriator of the tithes and patron of the
The manor of Castle-Gresley belonged, from a very early period, to the
ancient family of De Gresley, who had a castle at this place, whence it
obtained the name of Castle-Gresley. The site is distinguished only by the
inequalities of the ground; there were some remains of the buildings in
Camden's time. At Drakelow, the present seat of the family, they had also
a residence at a very early period.
The manor of Drakelow, which, in the Survey of Domesday, is described
as belonging to Nigel de Stafford, ancestor of the Gresley family, was held
by the service of rendering a bow without a string; a quiver of (fn. 13) Tutesbit,
twelve fleched and one unfeathered arrow. (fn. 14) Another record (of the year
1200) only expresses the render to have been a bow, a quiver, and twelve
arrows; this render was then due to William Earl Ferrars. (fn. 15) Geffrey de
Gresley, in 1330, claimed a right of having a gallows at Gresley and at
Drakelow. (fn. 16) The Gresley family have at various times, from the reign of
Edward I., represented the county in parliament. George Gresley was
installed a Knight of the Bath at the coronation of Anne Boleyne, in 1534;
his great-grandson of the same name was created a Baronet in 1611; Sir
George Gresley was an active officer in the Parliamentary service during the
civil war, and was Lieutenant-Colonel to Sir John Gell. Sir Roger Gresley
is the eighth and present Baronet. Drakelow, the ancient seat of the
Gresley family, is at present unoccupied.
Besides the manors of Church and Castle-Gresley, and Drakelow, Sir
Roger possesses those of Linton, Swadlincote, Donisthorpe, and Oakthorpe.
The manor of Linton (Linctun) was part of the estate of Henry de
Ferrars. It was afterwards in the Segraves, from whom it passed, succes
sively, by female heirs, to the noble families of Mowbray and Berkeley. In
or about the year 1568, it was purchased of Henry Lord Berkeley by Sir
The manor of Swadlincote or Swartlincote (Sivardingescote) was one of
the manors of Nigel de Stafford at the time of the Domesday Survey. His
grandson, Robert de Gresley, gave it to his brother Eugenol in (fn. 17) exchange.
Two of the coheiresses of Eugenol de Gresley, seem to have married Verdon
and Grim. The last-mentioned family was possessed of two-thirds of
Swadlincote in 1316. In or about the year 1363, Sir John Gresley gave
lands and rents in Swartlincote, to the prior and convent of Gresley; and it
is probable, that they became possessed of those two-thirds of the manor
which belonged to the Aleynes, who, as before mentioned, were possessed
of the priory estate not long after the Reformation. Having been purchased of the Aleynes by the Gresley family, it is now the property of Sir
Roger Gresley, Bart. The remaining third was sold by Verdon to Finderne
in 1304; in 1558, William Finderne, Esq., died seised of this estate, being
described as the manor of Swadlincote, and held of the heirs of Sir George
Gresley, by the annual render of a sparrow-hawk, which shows that the
Gresley family had continued to be superior Lords of Swadlincote from the
time of their ancestor, Nigel de Stafford. In 1567, this estate was sold by
the Findernes to Breton, and passed by successive sales to the families of
Horton, Hill, and Smythe; the last-mentioned alienation took place in 1636.
It is now the property of Bernard D'Ewes, Esq.
Donisthorpe (Durandestorp) and Oakthorpe (Achetorp) were manors
belonging to Nigel de Stafford, at the time of the Domesday Survey. The
family of De Aulâ, called also Durandesthorp or Duranthorpe, are described
as Lords of Donisthorpe in the twelfth, thirteenth, and fourteenth centuries (fn. 18) It is probable that they held under the Gresley family, who appear to
have been the sole lords, in 1518, both of this manor and of Oakthorpe. John
Savage was Lord of Oakthorpe about the year 1200, probably, as holding
under the Gresley family; he left two daughters, coheirs. Henry Earl of
Huntingdon had a manor in Oakthorpe in 1642, now belonging to the Marquis of Hastings. Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe are partly in the parish of
Measham, and partly in that of Nether-Seal in Leicestershire.
The manor of Heathcote or Hathcote in this parish, (Hedcote) was held,
at the time of the Domesday Survey, with Drakelow, by Nigel de Stafford.
In the reign of Edward II., it was in the family of Grim. In or about the
year 1363, Sir John Gresley gave lands and rents in Hathcote to the prior
and convent of Gresley, who it is probable afterwards became possessed of
the manor. It was certainly in the Aleynes, who were possessed of the priory
estate not long after the Reformation, and was sold, in the year 1728, by Samuel Stevenson Aleyne,Esq., toDevereux Littleton, Esq., and ———Shore,
Esq. It is now the sole property of Samuel Pipe Wolferstan, Esq., great
nephew of the former. There was, in ancient time, a chapel at Heathcote,
as appears by Pope Lucius's confirmation of the possessions of Burton-Abbey (fn. 19) to which it was given by William the Conqueror.