ILKESTON, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch and in the deanery
of Derby is a small market-town on the borders of Nottinghamshire, nine
miles from Derby, eight from Nottingham, and one hundred and twentyeight from London. The market was granted, in 1251, to Hugh de Cantelupe (fn. 1) , to be held on Thursdays, with a fair for two days at the festival of
the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The market has not been wholly
discontinued; it is still held occasionally on Thursdays, for fruit and
vegetables. There are two cattle fairs, on the sixth of March and Thursday in Whitsun-week.
The hamlets or villages of Cotman-hay and Little-Hallam are in this
The manor of Ilkeston (Tilchestune) was, when the Survey of Domesday
was taken, held by one Malger, under Gilbert de Gand, nephew to William
the Conqueror. This Gilbert, in the reign of Henry I. gave the manor
of Ilkeston to his steward, Sir Robert de Muskam. After four descents the
heiress of Muskam married Sir Ralph de Greseley, of Greseley in Nottinghamshire. Eustachia, the daughter of Sir Ralph, and eventually sole heiress
of her brother Hugh, married Nicholas Cantelupe, whose grandson of the
same name, died seised of it in 1355. (fn. 2) Millecent, one of the coheiresses of
William Lord Cantelupe brought it to the baronial family of Zouch of
Harringworth. On the attainder of John Lord Zouch, as a partizan of
Richard III., King Henry VII. granted it, in 1485, to Sir John Savage, of
whose descendant, Sir Thomas Savage, it was purchased in 1608, by Sir
John Manners, ancestor of his Grace the Duke of Rutland, who is the
The Cantilupe family had two parks in Ilkeston in 1330. (fn. 3)
In the parish church is the monument of a crusader (one of the Cantilupe
family,) and some memorials of the family of Flamsteed. (fn. 4) Bassano's
volume of Church Notes describes some mutilated ancient tombs of eccle
siastics and others; and memorials of the family of Gregg. (fn. 5)
The Church was appropriated to the abbey of Dale in 1385 (fn. 6) , having been
given most probably by the Cantilupe family. The Duke of Rutland is now
impropriator and patron of the vicarage.
There are meeting houses at Ilkeston for the Unitarians, Independents,
General Baptists, Particular Baptists, and Wesleyan Methodists.
Mr. Richard Smedley, in 1744, founded almshouses at this place for
six poor persons (fn. 7) , and endowed them with pensions of five pounds per
annum each. Mr. Smedley gave also 10l. per annum (fn. 8) for the education of
forty poor children.
KIRK-IRETON, in the wapentake of Wirksworth and in the deanery of Ash
borne, lies about seven miles from Ashborne and three from Wirksworth,
which is the post-town. The village of Blackwall and the township of
Ireton-wood, are in this parish.
The manor of Kirk-Ireton, was held under the King's brother in the
reign of Edward I.: it has long been attached to the duchy manor of
Wirksworth. The manor of Hollands in Wirksworth, belonging to Philip
Gell, Esq., M. P., extends into this parish.
In the parish church are some memorials of the families of Catesby and
Mellor. (fn. 9) The Dean of Lincoln is patron of the rectory.
Blackwall was the freehold property of a family who took their name
from this the place of their residence, probably from an early period.
They certainly were of Blackwall as early as the year 1500. It is now the
property and residence of their descendant Mr. John Blackwall.
The Reverend John Slater and Mary his wife, in the year 1686, gave
five closes at Kirk-Ireton to the parish, directing that 81. per annum should
be given to a schoolmaster for instructing sixteen poor children in reading,
writing and arithmetic, the remainder of the rent to be distributed half-yearly among the poorer inhabitants. The executors of John Bower gave
the sum of 120l. for educating of poor children in 1744.
Certain lands in Kirk-Ireton and Callow, in the parish of Wirksworth,
were inclosed by act of parliament in 1803.
KEDLESTON, in the hundred of Appletree and in the deanery of Derby,
lies four miles north-west from Derby.
The manor of Kedleston (Chetelestune (fn. 10) ) was, at the time of taking the
Domesday Survey, part of the large property of Henry de Ferrars: it was
held under the Ferrars family by that of Curson or Curzon, as early as the
reign of Henry I. This ancient family frequently represented the county of
Derby in parliament. Sir John Curzon was created a Baronet in 1641. Sir
Nathaniel Curzon the fifth baronet was, in 1760, created Baron Scarsdale of
Kedleston, and was father of Nathaniel Lord Scarsdale, the present Lord
of the manor of Kedleston.
Kedleston-hall, the noble mansion of Lord Scarsdale, and his chief
residence, stands pleasantly situated in the midst of the park, occupying
the site of a former mansion, which had not been built many years when
Mr. William Wolley wrote his MS. history of Derbyshire in 1712, and
which that writer describes as a very useful noble pile of building, of brick
and stone, as good as most in the county. The present hall, which is the
object of great attraction to travellers, was built from the designs of Adam,
about the year 1765. The hall of this mansion is a singularly fine room,
about 67 feet by 42, supported by twenty Corinthian columns, twenty-five
feet in height, which were much improved in their effect a few years ago,
by being fluted. They are made of veined alabaster from the quarries
at Red-hill in Nottinghamshire belonging to Lord Curzon. There is a col
lection of pictures at Kedleston-hall, by the old masters, among which a
landscape by Cuyp and a large picture by Rembrandt, over the fire-place in
the library, the subject of which is Daniel interpreting the dream of King
Nebuchadnezzar, have been most admired.
In the parish church which stands near the hall, are several monuments
of the Curzon family; the more ancient have been already described. (fn. 11) In the
south transept is the monument of Sir John Curzon, Bart., who died in
1686, aged 89: it is supported by Corinthian columns, and has half length
effigies, front-faced, of Sir John in armour, and his lady, (Patience daughter
of John Lord Crewe) who died in 1642; there are monuments also for Sir
Nathaniel Curzon, Bart., 1719; Sir Nathaniel Curzon, Bart. (fn. 12) , 1758, (by
Rysbrach;) and others. (fn. 13)
Lord Scarsdale is patron of the Rectory.
In the parish register is recorded, the burial of one of the Curzon family,
" George Curzon," who " being an hundred and foure years old, was
buryed March 25, 1652."
The manor of Little-Ireton was the property, and Ireton-hall the seat,
of a younger branch of the Shirley family, who took the name of Ireton,
and were ancestors of General Ireton, Cromwell's son-in-law. This manor,
with the old seat of the Iretóns, belonged, about the middle of the seventeenth century, to Colonel Thomas Sanders (fn. 14) , whose son, Samuel Sanders,
Esq., collected materials for a history of this county, as before mentioned.
The Curzon family became possessed of Little-Ireton in 1721, by an exchange
for lands at Middleton near Youlgrave. It is now the property of Lord
Scarsdale. Little-Ireton.hall, formerly the residence of the Iretons, has
been pulled down, and a farm-house built on the site.
KNIVETON, the Cheniveton of the Domesday Survey, lies three miles
from Ashborne (fn. 15) , in the wapentake of Wirksworth and the deanery of
The manor was from a very early period the property, and Kniveton was the
original residence, of the ancient family to which it gave name: this family
spread into two branches, settled at Bradley and Mercaston: Kniveton, the
original patrimony of the family, was sold by Sir Andrew Kniveton, Bart.,
in the reign of Charles II., to Lowe, from whom it passed to the Pegges.
In the reign of Queen Anne, it was sold by Thomas Pegge, Esq., to Mrs.
Meynell, of Bradley, and is now the property of her descendant Godfrey
The rectory of Kniveton was anciently appropriated as parcel of Ash
borne, (to which, in remote times, it was a chapel,) to the Deans of Lincoln,
one of whom conveyed it to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. In 1548,
the Dean and Chapter granted the rectory-house, glebe, tithes, &c. (reserv
ing only the ecclesiastical jurisdiction), to Ralph Gell, Esq., of Hopton. In
1796, this estate was sold by the devisees, in trust, of the late Philip Gell,
Esq., to Mr. Edmund Evans, of Derby, and others: the tithes have been
since sold to the several land owners; Mr. Evans is patron of the perpetual
In the year 1715, Mr. John Hurd gave lands for the endowment of a
school at Kniveton, which, in 1787, when the return of charitable donations
was made to the House of Commons, were let at 9l. per annum, 81. of
which were given to a master, and 15s. per annum for coals. We have
not been able to ascertain the present income of this endowment.
LANGLEY, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch and in the
deanery of Derby, lies about four miles from Derby, which is the post-town,
and about nine miles from Ashborne. The village of Nether-Burrowes
or Burroughs, is in this parish.
Langlei, or Church-Langley was, at the time of taking the DomesdaySurvey,
one of the manors of Ralph Fitzhubert In the reign of Hen III., it belonged
to Ralph Fitz-Nicholas, from whom it passed to the Pipards of Rotherfield
Pipard, in Oxfordshire, who afterwards took the name of Twyford. This
family possessed Kirk-Langley for several generations, and had a seat here (fn. 16) ;
Thomas Twyford, Esq., a descendant of this family (fn. 17) , was buried in the
Twyford aisle of Langley-Church in 1523; but we are not sure whether they
continued to possess the manor so long. In the year 1553, it was in the
Bassetts, then Lords of the manor of Langley-Meynell, and from that time
the manors appear to have passed together: the estate at Kirk-Langley was
separated from the manor and sold in severalties. Mr. Cornelius Brough
possesses by much the larger share, and the old manor-house, which is inha
bited by a farmer. E. S. C. Pole, Esq., and Mr. Sampson Copestake have
also considerable shares.
The manor of Langley-Meynell took its name from an ancient family
who possessed it as early as the reign of Edward III., from them it passed
by successive female heirs to the families of Bassett and Cavendish. Wil
liam Cavendish Duke of Newcastle sold it, in the year 1669, to Isaac Mey
nell, citizen of London (fn. 18) : this Isaac left an only daughter and heir, whose
second husband, Robert Cecil, a younger brother of Jamas Earl of Salis
bury, sold Church-Langley and Langley-Meynell to Godfrey Meynell, Esq.,
of another branch of the family. Mr. Meynell, having no issue, bequeathed
the Langiey estate to his cousins, Gilbert Cheshire, Isabella Parker,
Catherine Cheshire, Godfrey, George, and Obadiah Hodgkinson, Dorothy
Turner, Thomas Lord, and Catherine the wife of Joseph Lord. General
Cheney, descended from the Cheshires, inherits, by bequest, the old manorhouse of Church-Langley, and four parts out of nine of the two manors;
Mrs. Meynell, mother of Godfrey Meynell (fn. 19) , Esq., now of Langley-park,
descended from the Wards, has three shares; Philip Gell, Esq., of Wirksworth, inherits one by bequest from Cheshire; and E. S. Chandos Pole, Esq.,
has the remaining share, which has passed by purchase.
The violent tempest already spoken of (fn. 20) , which happened in 1545, did
much damage to Sir William Bassett's mansion as well as to his park and
woods, and threw down a great part of the church.
In the parish church are several monuments of the family of Meynell (fn. 21) and
Cant (fn. 22) ; the tomb of Alice, widow of Thomas Beresford, of Newton, 1511;
and that of Henry Pole, Esq., patron of the church, who died in 1558.
Bassano's volume of Church Notes describes the monument of Thomas
Twyford, Esq., in the Twyford aisle, 1523.
Godfrey Meynell, Esq., who died, in 1758, possessed the advowson of
the rectory, but sold it before his death: it is now the property of
Godfrey Meynell, Esq., of Langley-park, whose father purchased it of the
family of Cant.
A school-house was built at Langley, in the year 1750, by the joint contributions of the Reverend John Bailey, then Rector, the Meynell family,
and others. (fn. 23) The school was endowed by Mr. Bailey with four acres of land,
now let at 12l. per annum, and a rent-charge of 5l. for the education
of ten children. The rectors of Langley, Brailsford, and Mugginton, are
LANGWITH, commonly called OVER-LANGWITH, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies on the borders of Nottinghamshire,
about three miles from Bolsover.
The manor acquired the name of Langwith-Bassett, from the family of
Bassett, to whom it belonged, at least as early as the reign of Edward III (fn. 24)
this manor, together with those of Houghton-Filley and Houghton-Bassett,
partly in this parish, and partly in the parish of Pleasely, were conveyed by
Lord Grey to the Vavasors in 1493; from the Vavasors, they passed to the
Hardwicks before the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The heiress of Hardwick brought them to Sir William Cavendish, from whom they have
descended to his Grace the Duke of Devonshire, the present proprietor.
The Bassett family had two parks in Langwith in 1330. (fn. 25)
In the parish church is the monument of Joseph Briggs, Esq., of Scarcliffe-lane, 1770. The advowson of the rectory belonged to Thurgarton
priory, to which monastery it was given by Ralph Deincourt, the founder. (fn. 26)
The Duke of Devonshire is now patron of the rectory.
LONGFORD, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Castillar, lies
about nine miles from Derby and about eight (fn. 27) from Ashborne, which is the
post-town. The parish contains the townships of Longford, Alkmanton,
Hungry-Bently, Hollington, and Rodsley; and the village of Upper-Thurvaston.
The manor of Longford belonged, at an early period, to the ancient
family which took its name from that place, and continued to possess it for
at least fourteen generations. The ancestor of the family, Oliver Fitz-nigel (fn. 28) , acquired Longford and Malmerton in marriage with the coheiress of
Fitz-Ercald, in the reign of Richard I. (fn. 29) Sir Nicholas Longford, the last
heir male of this ancient family, which had at various times represented
the county in parliament, died in 1610, and his widow in 1620. Soon after
this, Clement Coke, Esq., sixth son of Lord Chief Justice Coke, became
possessed of this manor and estate (fn. 30) : he married a coheiress of Reddiche or
Reddish, by the heiress of Dethick, who had married one of the coheiresses
of Longford. Edward Coke, Esq., of Longford, elder son of Clement,
was created a Baronet in 1641. His two sons, Robert and Edward, successively enjoyed the title and estate, and died without issue. Sir Edward,
by whose death the title became extinct in 1727, bequeathed Longford to
his relation, Edward Coke, Esq., brother of Thomas Coke, Esq., of Hoikham, (afterwards Earl of Leicester.) This gentleman, dying without issue
in 1733, left Longford to his younger brother, Robert Coke, Esq., Vice-Chamberlain to Queen Caroline. On the death of the latter in 1750, it was
inherited by his nephew, Wen man Roberts, Esq., who, in 1756, took the
name of Coke, and was father of Thomas Wenman Coke, Esq., M. P., now
of Holkham in Norfolk, and of Edward Coke, Esq., M.P. the present Lord
of the manors of Longford and Malmerton, who resides at Longford-hall.
The Longford family had a park at Longford in 1330: the licence for its
inclosure was granted by King Henry III. in 1251. (fn. 31)
In the parish church are monuments of the families of Longford (fn. 32) and
Coke (fn. 33) , and memorials for Edmund Browne, Esq., of Bentley, who married
a daughter of Sir Edward Vernon and died in 1684, and some of the rectors
The church of Longford was given by Nicholas de Longford, in the
reign of Henry I., to the monastery of Kenilworth in Warwickshire. Mr.
Coke is now patron of the sinecure rectory and of the vicarage. The vicar
has the tithes of Bentley and Alkmanton.
An almshouse at Longford for six poor men or women, inhabitants of
Longford, or one of the four next townships, (old servants or reduced
tenants to be preferred,) was founded by Sir Edward Coke, the last Baronet,
pursuant to the will of his brother Sir Robert, who died in 1687. The pen
sioners have, under Sir Robert's will, 2s. 6d. a week each (for maintenance
and fuel) and gowns of 20s. (fn. 34) price every year, charged on the Longford
estate. Sir Robert Coke gave also 10l. per annum to the vicar of Longford
for reading prayers to the alms-people in the church.
There is a charity school at Longford founded by Catherine Lady Coke,
who died in 1688, and endowed by her will with lands (fn. 35) , now let at
38l. 15s. od. per annum.
The manor of Alkmanton (Alchementune) is described in the Domesday Survey, as held by one Ralph under Henry de Ferrars. In the reign
of Edward I. it was in the family of Bakepuz; afterwards in the Blounts.
Walter Blount, Lord Mountjoy, by his will bearing date 1474, bequeathed
lands of 10l. per annum value to the ancient hospital of St. Leonard, situated
between Alkmanton and Bentley, for the maintenance of, seven poor men
not under fifty-five years of age (old servants of the lord of the manor of
Barton or other lordships belonging to the patron of the hospital to be
preferred). These pensioners were to have pasture for seven cows in Bartonpark, fuel from some of Lord Mountjoy's manors in the hundred of Appletree, and a gown and hood every third year. They were to pray for the
souls of Lord Mountjoy, his family and ancestors; the Duke of Buckingham,
Earl Rivers, Sir John Woodville, and the ancient Lords of the hospital,
and to repeat the psalter of the Virgin Mary twice every day in the chapel of the hospital. Lord Mountjoy directed also, that a chapel should be
built at Alkmanton, dedicated to St. Nicholas, and that the master of the
hospital should say mass in it yearly, on the festival of St. Nicholas. This
hospital shared the fate of many others, whose constitutions were mingled
with superstitious observances, and was abolished in 1547. The manor
of Alkmanton and the Spital estate belonged, soon after the Reformation,
to the family of Barnesley. Charles Barnesley, Esq., of Alkmanton, sold
it about the end of the seventeenth century, to Thomas Browne, Esq., of
Bentley. The Earl of Chesterfield purchased it of the Brownes in 1727.
Earl Stanhope, in 1781, sold it to the late Thomas Evans, Esq., in whose
family it still continues. There are no remains of the hospital, or of the
chapel of St. Nicholas.
The manor of Bentley (Beneleie), commonly called Hungry-Bentley,
belonged to Henry de Ferrars when the Survey of Domesday was taken;
afterwards to the Blounts, Lords Mountjoy; and at a later period to the
Brownes, who had a seat there. This manor is now the property of Sir
Robert Wilmot, Bart., of Chaddesden. Bentley-hall is occupied as a farm-house. There was formerly a family of Bentley, who resided at this place.
Edward Bentley, Esq., of Hungry-Bentley, was tried at the Old Bailey on
a charge of high-treason, and convicted in 1586. (fn. 36)
Hollington (Holintune), and Rodsley (Redeslei), are described in the
Domesday Survey as manors belonging to Henry de Ferrars. The manor
of Hollington was in the Meynells in the reign of Edward I. (fn. 37) It has long
been held under the crown, as parcel of the hundred of Appletree, appurtenant to the Duchy of Lancaster. William, Earl of Pembroke, was
lessee in the reign of James I.; Henry Vernon, Esq., in 1660. The lease is
now vested in the Right Honourable Henry Venables, Lord Vernon. Mr.
Joseph Holme, in 1768, gave ll. per annum, for educating poor children
of this hamlet. The manor of Rodsley belonged in the reign of King
John to Robert Fitzwilliam, of Alfreton. It was afterwards successively
in the families of Montgomery and Vernon, and is now the property of
the Right Honourable Lord Vernon, being annexed to the hundred of
Upper-Thurvaston (Turverdeston) was held at the time of the Domesday Survey by one Robert, under Henry de Ferrars. It was afterwards in
the Blounts. Mountjoy Blount, a natural son of Charles Blount, Earl of
Devonshire, who died in 1606, was in 1627 created Baron Mountjoy of
Thurvaston, and the next year Earl of Newport, which titles became extinct in 1681. Upper-Thurvaston is held on lease under the duchy by
Lord Vernon, as being, together with Hollington, parcel of the hundred of
LULLINGTON, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery
of Repiugton, lies near the borders of Staffordshire, about seven miles
from Tamworth and the same distance from Burton-on-Trent. The township of Coton-in-the-Elms is in this parish.
The manor of Lullington (Lullitune) was held by one Edmund, under
the King, when the Survey of Domesday was taken. It was in the Gresley
family in the reign of Edward I. (fn. 38) , and is now the property of Sir Roger
The church was given by the Gresley family to the priory of Gresley,
and appropriated to that monastery in the reign of Edward II. (fn. 39)
The manor of Cotune or Cotes, now called Coton-in-the-Elms, belonged
to the Abbey of Burton when the Survey of Domesday was taken: some
time before the year 1328 it had passed into lay hands, for in that year it
was purchased by Stephen de Segrave of the coheiresses of Stephen de
Beauchamp. (fn. 40) Henry Lord Berkeley, a descendant of the Segraves, through
the Mowbrays, sold this, manor, in 1570, to Sir William Gresley, Knt. In
1712 it belonged to Samuel Sanders, Esq. (fn. 41) We have not been able to
ascertain how it passed afterwards, or who is the present owner. This
manor was held by the service of presenting a hound in a leash to the King,
whenever he should come into Derbyshire.
Thomas Wagstaffe gave the sum of 50l., for teaching five poor children
of this township.