PACKINGTON is partly in Leicestershire and partly in the hundred of
Repton and Gresley, in Derbyshire. The church is in Leicestershire;
the greater part of the houses are in Derbyshire.
PENTRICH, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch and in the deanery
of Derby, lies about two miles and a half from Alfreton and about twelve
from Derby. The parish comprises the township of Ripley and the village
The manors of Pentrich and Ripley were given, in the reign of Henry II.
by Ralph Fitz-Stephen, the King's Chamberlain, and Hubert Fitz-Ralph (fn. 1) ,
to the Abbot and convent of Darley. (fn. 2) King Edward VI., in the year 1552,
granted it to Sir William Cavendish (fn. 3) , ancestor of his Grace the Duke of
Devonshire, who is the present proprietor.
In the parish church are memorials for Edward Home, captain in the
navy 1764; " Madam Mawer, wife of the Reverend Kaye Mawer, son of
John Mawer, of the ancient and illustrious house of Mawer," 1776; and
of the family of Bradley, of Butterley-park, 1701–1718, &c.
The church of Pentrich was given to the abbey of Darley by Ralph
Fitz-Stephen, and became appropriated to that monastery. The Duke of
Devonshire is now impropriator and patron of the vicarage.
The Independents have a meeting-house at Pentrich which formerly belonged to the Presbyterians.
The Abbot of Darley had, in 1251, a grant of a market at Ripley on
Wednesday, and a fair for three days at the festival of St. Helen the Queen. (fn. 4)
The market has been long discontinued; there are now two fairs, on the
Wednesday in Easter-week, and on the 23d of October, for horses and
cattle: the latter is a great fair for foals. The manor of Ripley, which
had been given (as before-mentioned) to Darley-abbey, was most probably
granted to George Zouch, who died seised of it in 1556. Sir John Zouch,
in or about the year 1565, conveyed it to Thomas Boswell and George
Smith, and the heirs of Smith. (fn. 5) Isaac Smith died seised of it in 1638. It
is now divided into severalties. The Unitarians have a chapel, and there is
a meeting-house for the Wesleyan Methodists at Ripley: the Unitarian
chapel is now rebuilding.
The manor of Butterley belonged to the abbot and convent of Darley (fn. 6) ,
who had two parks there (fn. 7) : the site of one of these, though long since disparked, retains the name. The manor was granted to Sir William Cavendish, and has passed with that of Pentrich. The family of Home had, for
some descents, an estate with a park, at Butterley-hall, where they resided.
William Home, Esq., died, in 1747, at the age, as it is said, of 102. (fn. 8) His
eldest son, William Andrew Home, Esq., was in the year 1759, at the age
of 74, executed at Nottingham for the murder of an illegitimate child, in the
year 1724, by exposing it under a hay-stack at Annesley in Nottinghamshire. Charles Home, his brother, who was the principal evidence against
him, survived till the year 1784, when he died at an advanced age,
being the last of the family. Edward Warren, a nephew, who took the
name of Home in 1784, inherited the Butterley estate, which he sold, about
the year 1790, to Francis Beresford, Esq., and Benjamin Outram, Esq. It
now belongs to John Beresford, Esq., and Francis Outram, a minor. Butterley-hall is in the occupation of Mr. William Jessop, a partner in the firm
of the iron-works at Butterley, which were established about the year 1793,
by Messrs. Wright of Nottingham.
Waingriff, in this parish, was given by Fitz-Stephen to the Knights-hospitallers, who have been supposed to have had a preceptory at this place. (fn. 9)
It was the property, by marriage, of the late Robert Strelley, Esq., who
built a house upon the estate, now the property and residence of his
The manor or reputed manor of Padley, in this parish, belonged to Darley
Abbey, afterwards to the family of Zouch. The assignees, of John Zouch,
Esq., sold it, in the reign of James I., to Mr. Smith, of whose descendant
it was purchased, in 1710, by the ancestor of the Reverend Henry Peach of
Derby, the present proprietor.
PINXTON, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies
on the borders of Nottinghamshire about three miles from Alfreton, which
is the post-town. A considerable part of the parish is in Nottinghamshire.
The manor is supposed to have been the Snodeswic, which was given, by
Wulfric Spott as an appendage to Morton, to Burton-abbey; and the Esnotrewic of the Domesday Survey, which was held by Drogo under William
Peverel. The manor of Pinxton has passed, for several centuries, with one
of the moieties of South-Normanton, and is now the property of D'Ewes
Coke, Esq., son of Heigham Coke, Esq., of Suckley, in Worcestershire, who
is patron of the rectory.
In the parish church are the monuments of D'Ewes Coke (fn. 10) , Esq.,
1751, and Robert Lillyman, Esq., of Brookhill (fn. 11) , in this parish, 1765.
Pleasley or Plesley
PLEASLEY or PLESLEY, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of
Chesterfield, lies on the borders of Nottinghamshire, and on the road from
Chesterfield to Mansfield, at the distance of nine miles from the former. The
villages of Shirebrook and Stony-Houghton, are in this parish.
The manor of Pleasley belonged to Thomas Bee, Bishop of St. David's,
Lord Treasurer to King Edward I., who, in 1284, had a grant of a market
at this place on Mondays, and a fair for three days at the festival of
St. Luke. (fn. 12) The market has long ago been discontinued. There are now
two fairs, May 6, and October 29, for fat and lean cattle, horses, and sheep.
There are some considerable cotton factories at Pleasley.
Anthony Bee, Bishop of Durham and Patriarch of Jerusalem, (brother of
the Bishop of St. David's,) died in 1310 or 1311, seised of this manor (fn. 13) : it
was inherited by his nieces, married into the families of Harcourt and Willoughby, who possessed the manor of Pleasley, in moieties, for several generations. (fn. 14) The manor was afterwards in the Leakes, who appear to have
been possessed of it, in the reign of Henry VI. (fn. 15) After the death of Nicholas
Leake, the last Earl of Scarsdale, it was purchased by Henry Thornhill,
Esq., great uncle of Henry Bache Thornhill, Esq., the present proprietor, to
whom it was given by his father, Bache Thornhill Esq., of Stanton.
A park in Pleasley, called Warsop-wood, was held for several generations
by the family of Roos, under the manor of Pleasley. (fn. 16) This estate is now
the property of Edward Greaves, Esq.
On Sunday the 17th of March, 1816, a large chasm was made in the
church steeple at this place, by the shock of an earthquake, which was felt
over a great part of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, &c.
The advowson of the rectory, which had passed for several centuries
with the manor, is vested in Bache Thornhill, Esq., of Stanton. There is
a chapel of ease at Shirebrook, about two miles distant, at which divine service is performed once a month by the rector of Pleasley or his curate. The
chapel is repaired by the inhabitants.
Radborne or Radburne
RADBORNE or RADBURNE, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of
Derby, lies about four miles west from Derby.
Radborne was one of the manors of Henry de Ferrars, at the time of the
Domesday Survey; but it appears that Ralph Fkz-Hubert claimed a third.
The coheiresses of Robert Fitz-Walkelin, who lived in the twelfth century, and was possessed of Egginton, Radborne, and other estates in this
county, married Chandos and Stafford as already stated in the account of
Egginton; the whole of this manor (in consequence, probably, of the purchase of Stafford's moiety) became vested in Chandos. (fn. 17) After the death of
Sir John Chandos, the celebrated warrior, without male issue, in 1370, the
Radborne estate passed to his representatives in the female line, and eventually to Sir Peter de la Pole, who married his niece, Elizabeth, daughter of
Sir John Lawton. Sir Peter, who was one of the knights of the shire in
1400, is described as having been of Newborough in Staffordshire; but it
appears that his ancestors had been, at an early period, of Hartington in
this county. Ralph Pole, son of Peter before-mentioned, was one of the
Justices of the King's-Bench, in the reign of Henry VI. Radborne is now
the property, and Radborne-hall the seat of his immediate descendant,
E. S. C. Pole, Esq. The parish of Radborne contains 2,125 acres of land,
of which more than 2000 belong to Mr. Pole, who is patron also of the
In the parish church are some monuments of the family of Pole, two
ancient monuments already more particularly described (fn. 18) ; a large marble monument, with a sarcophagus, for Sir German Pole, who was knighted for his
good services in Ireland, under Lord Mountjoy in 1599, he died in 1634;
German Pole, Esq., his son, who died in 1683, married Ann, daughter of Sir
Richard Newdigate, but having no issue, bequeathed his estate to Samuel
Pole, Esq., of Lees, descended from German, a younger son of Francis Pole,
Esq., which German settled at Lees in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. There
is a monument also for Mary, widow of George Parker, Esq., of Ratton in
Sussex, and daughter of Sir Richard Newdigate, ob. 1708.
German Pole, Esq., who died in 1683, founded a charity school at Radborne: the present value of its endowment is 15l. 10s. per annum, besides
a moiety of the profits of a lime-kiln. (fn. 19)
RAVENSTONE, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley and in the deanery of
Repington, is surrounded by Leicestershire, to which county a considerable
part of the parish belongs. It is situated about three miles south-east from
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, on the road to Hinkley.
When the Survey of Domesday was taken, the manor of Ravenstone
belonged to Nigel de Stafford, ancestor of the Gresley family. A manor
in this parish was given to the monks of Gerondon, by Hugh, son of Roger
de Herdberewe, before the year 1168. (fn. 20) Another manor belonged to the
Despencers, and having been forfeited, was granted to Henry Lord Beaumont. Elizabeth, widow of this Henry, died seised of it in 1427. The
manor of Ravenstone with the advowson, was granted by Henry VIII. to
Thomas Earl of Rutland, who, in or about the year 1542, conveyed it to
Henry Digby. Thomas Digby, great-grandson of Henry, died seised of it
in 1619. (fn. 21) John Wilkins, Esq., who was possessed of this estate before the
year 1689, built a noble mansion, which, after his death, was sold with
the manor in 1726, to Roger Cave, Esq. After the death of Mr. Cave,
in 1741, it was purchased by the ancestor of Leonard Fosbrook, Esq., of
Shardelow, the present proprietor. Mr. Fosbrook, after his purchase of
the manor, pulled down the great house, and built one on a smaller scale
for his own residence. It is now occupied by the Reverend William Ward,
as undertenant to R. Creswell, Esq., who rents the estate under Mr.
In the parish church is a monument put up by the late Sir Joseph Mawbey, Bart., in memory of his family, who had an estate at Ravenstone,
now the property of Joseph Alcock, Esq. Mr. Alcock's father purchased
this estate of his brother-in-law, Sir Joseph Mawbey. The King is patron
of the rectory.
The open fields in this parish have been inclosed under an act of parliament, passed in 1770: an allotment was made in lieu of tithes.
At this place is an hospital, founded, in 1712, by Rebecca, wife of John
Wilkins, Esq., with the consent of her husband, for thirty blind, aged,
or impotent widows and three able women as servants. (fn. 22) The foundation
is stated in the will of Mrs. Wilkins, to have been in memory of her son,
Francis Wollaston (fn. 23) Wilkins, who died in 1711: she endowed it after the
death of her husband, with all her lands in Thorpe-Ernald, Higham,
and Sutton-Cheney in Leicestershire. The widows are to be of the parishes
of Ravenstone, Swanington, and Cole-Orton, or in default of proper
objects, of other neighbouring parishes; to be fifty years of age at the least,
unless blind or impotent, of good fame, and members of the church of England; the servants of the hospital, if widows, may succeed to vacancies
although only forty years of age: if any widow marry, she is to be
removed; any widow of kin to the founder or of reduced gentry to be preferred to all others. The widows to receive 3s. 6d. a week each, besides
clothes and coals; increased rents, after defraying repairs, &c. to be applied either to encreasing the pensions, or the number of pensioners, at the
discretion of the trustees. There are ten trustees, under the founder's will,
which number is to be made up whenever they are reduced to five. There
is a master or chaplain of the hospital, who has a salary of 6ol, per
annum. The present chapel and a house for the master were built out of the
savings of the fund in 1784. The present rent of the estates is about 940l. (fn. 24)
The widows now receive pensions of 4s. 6d. a week each, a gown and
petticoat, and five tons of coal yearly.
Repton, anciently Repington
REPTON, anciently REPINGTON, gives name to the deanery, and jointly
with Gresley to the hundred in which it is situated. It lies on the south
side of the Trent, four miles from Burton and seven from Derby.
This place is supposed to have been a Roman station, called Repandunum. In the time of the Saxons it was called Repandum, and was the
capital of the Mercian kingdom. Before the year 660 (fn. 25) , there was a nunnery at this place, under the government of an abbess, in which Ethelbald
and other of the Mercian monarchs were interred. (fn. 26) The Danes having
driven Buthred, King of the Mercians from his throne, wintered at
Repandum in 874. (fn. 27) Jt is probable that the nunnery above-mentioned was
The manor of Repton (Rapendune) was part of the royal demesne
when the Survey of Domesday was taken. It soon after belonged to the
Earls of Chester. Maud, widow of Ranulph de Blundeville, Earl of Chester,
who died in 1153, founded a priory of black canons at Repton in 1172, or,
rather, in that year, removed them thither from Calke, where they were
first established. This priory was dissolved in the year 1538, when its
revenues were estimated at 118l. 8s. 6d. clear yearly income. The site of
the priory was granted by King Henry VIII., in 1540, to his servant, Thomas Thacker, Esq., who had taken possession of it for the King's use in
1538, and purchased most of the furniture and stock. The furniture of
the high altar, and of St. John's, St. Nicholas's, St. Thomas's, " Our Lady's,"
" Our Lady of Pity's" chapels, with the images, &c. sold for fifty shillings:
the grave-stones were not then sold, nor the buildings. (fn. 28) It appears that
there was a shrine of St. Guthlac at this priory, to which was a great resort
of pilgrims, and his bell was applied to the head by superstitious persons,
for the cure of the head-ach. (fn. 29)
Fuller relates in his Church History, on the authority of his kinsman,
Samuel Roper of Lincoln's-Inn, that one Thacker being possessed of
Repingdon-abbey in Derbyshire, "alarmed with the news that Queen
Mary had set up the abbeys again (and fearing how large a reach such a
precedent might have) upon a Sunday (belike the better day the better deed)
called together the carpenters and masons of that county, and plucked down
in one day (church work is a cripple in going up, but rides post in coming
down) a most beautiful church belonging thereunto, saying he would destroy
the nest for fear the birds should build therein again."
Sir Henry Spelman, in his history of Sacrilege, notices Mr. Godfrey
Thacker of Repingdon, as an instance of a person possessing church tithes
and lands, and making a very insufficient allowance to the minister of his
church, and remarks his having been reduced in his circumstances without
any assignable cause. Gilbert Thacker, Esq., the last of this family, died in
1712, leaving an only daughter, who bequeathed the priory estate to Sir
Robert Burdett, Bart., grandfather of Sir Francis Burdett, Bart., the present
The remains of the priory have been converted into the school-room,
and offices belonging to Repton school. The mansion, which was the
seat of the Thackers, is rented of Sir Francis Burdett by the governors of
the school, and is occupied by the head master, Dr. Sleath.
The manor of Repton was divided among the coheiresses of Ranulph
de Blundeville, Earl of Chester, and passed through various hands in
severalties. The capital messuage of Repingdon was taken into the King's
hands in 1253. (fn. 30) Before the year 1330, the greater part of the manor appears
to have passed into other hands from the representatives of the Earls of
Chester. John de Britannia, William de Clinton, and Julia his wife (fn. 31) , the prior
of Repingdon, Robert de Becke, Philip de Strelley, William de Handesacre,
Emma, relict of Robert de Tateshall (fn. 32) , John Swinnerton, and Christian,
relict of John de Segrave (fn. 33) , were then joint owners. No mention is made in
the record (fn. 34) of the Baliols; yet it appears that Mary de St. Paul, Countess
of Pembroke, who inherited from the Baliols, gave her share (one-third of a
fourth) of the manor of Repingdon, to the master and scholars of Pernbroke-hall, (of her foundation,) and that the college exchanged this share
with the priory of Repton, for a rent-charge issuing out of the manor of
Grantesdenin 1411 or 1412. (fn. 35) Before the year 1330, Bernard Brus, as
representative of David Earl of Huntingdon, who married one of the
coheiresses of the Earl of Chester, had given his share of the manor to the
prior and convent (fn. 36) , and in or about 1413, Peter de Melborne gave them onethird of a fourth part. (fn. 37) These formed afterwards a distinct manor, which,
by the name of the priory manor, passed with the site of the priory, and is
now the property of Sir Francis Burdett, Bart.
In the reign of Henry IV., John Finderne was seised of an estate called
the manor of Repingdon alias Strelley's part. (fn. 38) It is most probable that the
Finderne family became possessed of most of the lay shares, by purchase or
inheritance, for except in one instance, we find no mention of any other
manor than that of the priory, and the manor of Repton, which passed
with the heiress of Finderne to the Harpurs, about the year 1558, and
is now the property of their descendant, Sir Henry Crewe, Bart. There
was an extensive park belonging to this manor, the paling of which still
In the year 1554, William Westcote conveyed the manors of Repington
and Willington to Sir John Porte. This was probably that part of the manor
which belonged to the Segraves, and passed by inheritance to the Mowbrays.
The last-mentioned family possessed also the manor of Willington. This
estate at Repton became afterwards parcel of the endowment of the school
and hospital founded by Sir John Porte.
The proprietors of the manor in 1330 claimed to be lords of the hundred, and to have within their manor a pillory, tumbrell, and gallows, for
the punishment of criminals: they claimed also by prescription a market at
Repton on Wednesdays, and a fair on the first of July. (fn. 39) Both these have
long ago been discontinued. There is a statute fair at Michaelmas, for
In the parish church, which is a handsome Gothic structure with a spire,
are some monuments of the Thacker family (fn. 40) ; George Waklin, of Bretby,
Gent., 1614; that of William Bagshaw Stevens, D. D., late master of Repton
school, who died in 1800 (fn. 41) ; and a memorial for Catherine daughter of the
Reverend Thomas Whelpdale, who died in 1746, at the age of 100.
The church of St. Wistan, at Repton, was given to the priory, with all its
chapels, at the time of its removal from Calke. The rectorial estate belongs
to Sir Henry Crewe, Bart., who is patron of the donative curacy.
The parish was inclosed by act of parliament in 1766.
In the year 1556, Sir John Port devised all his estates in Lancashire and
Derbyshire, in trust, for the foundation and endowment of a grammar
school at Repton, and an hospital at Etwall. The Harpur family had the
direction of these institutions till the year 1621, when Sir John Harpur
conveyed the superintendence to the Earl of Huntingdon, Lord Stanhope,
and Sir Thomas Gerard Bart., as right heirs of the founder. The present
hereditary governors are, the Marquis of Hastings, the Earl of Chesterfield, (now a minor), and Sir William Gerard, Bart. In the year last-mentioned the master of Etwall hospital, the schoolmaster of Repton, the poor
men, and poor scholars, were made a body corporate. The establishment
at Repton consists of a head master (the Reverend John Sleath, D.D.), two
ushers, and 20 scholars on the foundation. (fn. 42) The master has a salary of
200l.; the first usher, 100l.; the second usher, 80l. The improved rent of
the estates, which are now about 2500l. per annum, have long enabled the
governors to increase the number of pensioners in the hospital, to augment
the establishment of the school at Repton, and to give larger salaries to the
masters. The governors elect the master of the hospital, and the master
and ushers of the school: the Harpur family have, by the original charter,
a fourth turn with them in the appointment of the pensioners of the hospital and the foundation-scholars.
Mr. Thomas Whitehead gave some land at Repton for the head-master's use. Some land at Ticknail, now let at 5l. per annum was given
for the purchase of books: the name of the donor is unknown; but it is
supposed to have been Philip Ward, a former master.
John Lightfoot, the learned divine and Hebraist, was appointed first
usher at the original establishment of the institution. Among eminent
persons educated at this school, may be noticed, Samuel Shaw, a learned
non-conformist divine, and master of the school at Ashby-de-la-Zouch;
Stebbing Shaw, the historian of Staffordshire; Jonathan Scott, translator of
the Arabian Tales; W. Lillington Lewis, M.A., the translator of Statius;
and the late F.N.C. Mundy, Esq., author of the elegant poems of Need-Wood Forest, and the Fall of Need wood.
Mrs. Mary Burdett, in 1701, gave the sum of 200l., and Mrs. Dorothy
Burdett, in 1718, the same sum, for buying bread for the poor, and clothing
and teaching poor children of Repton, Ingleby, and Foremark.
The parochial chapelry of Bretby lies about three miles from Repton.
The manor of Bretby, which had belonged to Earl Algar, was part of the
royal demesne when the Survey of Domesday was taken. It afterwards
belonged to the Earls of Chester, and passed with a portion of the manor
of Repton to the Segraves. Nicholas de Segrave, had a charter of free
warren in Bretby in 1291. (fn. 43) His son, John de Segreve, who was the King's
Lieutenant in Scotland, and was taken prisoner in the battle of Bannockburn, was summoned to Parliament as a Baron in 1295. In 1300, he had
the King's licence to castellate his mansion at Bretby. (fn. 44) Bretby Castle
passed with the manor to the Mowbrays, Lords Mowbray and Dukes of
Norfolk. One of the coheiresses of this noble family brought Bretby to
the Lords Berkeley. Henry Lord Berkeley was possessed, in 1554, of the
manors of Bretby Collet and Bretby Preposita. From whence these names
originated we have not been able to discover, not having observed the name
of Collet among any records relating to the chapelry. In 1585, the castle
and manor of Bretby were purchased of the Berkeley family by Sir Thomas.
Stanhope, grandfather of Philip, the first Earl of Chesterfield. In the
year 1639, a masque, written for the occasion by Sir Aston Cokaine, was
performed before this Earl and his second Countess, at Bretby, on Twelfth-Day. In the month of November, 1642, the Earl of Chesterfield fortified
his house at Bretby, and "garrisoned it with 40 musketeers and 60 horse.
Sir John Gell, having intelligence of it, sent 400 foot, with a party of dragoons and two sacres, under the command of Major Molanus. Sir John
Gell relates, that after a short defence the Earl and his party fled through
the park towards Lichfield; that they took in the house 7 drakes, 30 steel
pikes, 20 or 30 muskets, 5 double barrels of powder, and good store of
match and bullets; that the officers entreated the Countess to give, the
soldiers 2s. 6d. a piece, to save the house from plunder, as it was free booty;
she said she had not so much in the house; they proposed 40 marks as a
composition, to which she returned the same answer; they then offered to
advance it for her, but she declared that she would not give them one
penny (fn. 45) ; then, indeed, he adds, the soldiers plundered the house, but the
officers saved her own chamber, with all her goods. (fn. 46) Philip, the second
Earl, resided much at Bretby; his second Countess, daughter of the Duke
of Ormond, was one of the beauties of Charles II.'s court, and is celebrated
as such in the Memoirs of Count Grammont.
The Bretby estate now belongs to George Augustus Frederick, Earl of
Chesterfield, a minor, who succeeded to the title and estate on the death of
Philip the late Earl, in 1815.
Bretby Castle, the site of which is still discernible near the church, is
said to have been standing in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; and we are
informed by Mr. C. Burton, steward of the late Earl of Chesterfield, that it
was then inhabited by Mr. John Mee, lord of the manor, and Mary his wife,
and that he has seen a receipt for a rent payable to them by the Stanhope
family. In the year 1569, Henry Lord Berkeley had demised the manor
and castle of Bretby for 41 years to Thomas Duport; and it is probable
that this John Mee might have married his heiress, in which case they
would have been jointly seised of the manor, &c., till the expiration of the
above-mentioned lease. Mr. Burton, on taking up the foundation of the
castle-walls found that it was a building of great strength, and consisted of
two large courts.
The old mansion at Bretby park, which most probably was built by the
first Earl of Chesterfield (fn. 47) , was pulled down by the late Earl in the year 1780.
There is a view of it, drawn by Knyff and engraved by Kip, in the " Nouveau Theatre de Grande Bretagne." Mr. Wolley, in his MS. account of
Derbyshire (1712), speaks thus of Bretby. " The seat of the Earl of
Chesterfield is situated in the midst of a very large park, well wooded and
stored with several kinds of deer, and exotic beasts; there are several fine
avenues of trees leading to the house, which is of stone, though not of the
modern architecture, yet very regular, convenient, and noble, with a very
curious chapel, and very good outbuildings; but the gardens, fountains,
labyrinths, groves, green-houses, grottoes, aviaries, but more especially the
carpet walks, and situations of the orange-trees and water-works before the
marble summer-house, are all noble and peculiarly curious and pleasant,
suitable to the genius of the owner, who has also been the chief contriver
of them (fn. 48) , the present Earl of Chesterfield, Philip Stanhope, the third, who,
now about 80 years of age, retains a great deal of that vigour and capacity
which has hitherto rendered him the glory of the nation." The chapel
here spoken of adjoined the house: it was of the Ionic order, and finished
in the year 1696; it had a handsome altar-piece of Italian marble. (fn. 49) This
chapel was pulled down with the house in 1780. It appears by the life of
John Hieron, an eminent non-conformist divine, that he preached a weekly
lecture on Fridays in the chapel at Bretby, for Catherine, Countess of
Chesterfield. (fn. 50) His biographer relates as an anecdote of this Countess, that
she claimed precedence for her gentlewoman above Baronets' daughters,
and that the Earl-Marshal, on being appealed to, gave it in her favour.
Bretby-hall is a castellated mansion, of a quadrangular form, which had
been several years in building, and was left unfinished at the death of its noble
owner, in 1815. The greater part of it had been fitted up and inhabited:
the building has been since discontinued. The park is well wooded, and in
some parts exhibits varied and picturesque scenery. On the east side of the
house is preserved a fine cedar of Lebanon, which probably is the oldest tree
of the kind in the kingdom. It appears by the gardener's bill, still in the
Earl of Chesterfield's possession, that it was planted in the month of February, 1676–7. We find by Evelyn, that the cedar had not been brought
into this country in 1664. The Enfield cedar was planted about the same
time as that at Bretby; those in the Physic-Garden at Chelsea, in 1683.
The Bretby cedar is 13 feet 9 inches in circumference.
The late Earl of Chesterfield, who resided wholly at Bretby during the
latter part of his life, and dedicated a considerable portion of his time to
agricultural pursuits, had one of the most complete farming establishments
in this part of England. Plans and elevations of the farm-yard and offices
are given in the second volume of Farey's General View of the Agriculture
The chapel of Bretby, with the tithes of the chapelry, were parcel of
the rectory of Repton, which belonged to the priory at that place. It
passed with one of the coheiresses of Port to the family of Hastings, and
seems to have been brought into the Stanhope family by the marriage
of the first Earl of Chesterfield with a daughter of Francis Lord Hastings.
The minister of Bretby chapel, which is a donative, is appointed by the
Earl of Chesterfield.
The late Earl and Countess of Chesterfield supported a school for 30
boys, and another for 30 girls; in which the children were clothed, and
instructed in reading, writing, and arithmetic. These schools are still kept
up by the trustees, at the request of the young Earl and his sisters.
The parochial chapelry of Foremark lies nearly two miles to the east of
Repton, and about seven miles from Derby. The manor, called in the
Survey of Domesday and other ancient records Fornewerche or Fornewerke,
belonged, when that Survey was taken, to Nigel de Stafford. In the reign
of Henry II. it was given by Robert de Ferrars, Earl of Derby, to Bertram de Verdon, in marriage with one of his daughters. (fn. 51) It seems to have
continued in a younger branch of this family, after the extinction of the
elder branch in 1316; for we find that John de Verdon had a grant of free
warren in Foremark in 1327. It was purchased of the Verdons (fn. 52) before the
year 1387, by Sir Robert Francis, who obtained a confirmation of freewarren from the crown in the year 1397. (fn. 53) The heiress of Francis married
Thomas Burdett, Esq., of Bramcote, in Warwickshire, who was created a
Baronet in 1618. In consequence of this marriage, Foremark has been
ever since the chief country seat of the Burdett family; but the present
possessor, Sir Francis Burdett, Bart., one of the representatives for Westminster, has not resided there for several years. The hall was some time
in the occupation of Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart.; it is at present unoccupied.
Foremark has been noted by Burton, in his Anatomy of Melancholy, as a
pleasant, wholesome, and delightful situation. The present hall was built
about the year 1762, by the late Sir Robert Burdett, who pulled down the
old mansion of the Francis's.
At Knowle-hill, a little to the south-west of Foremark, was a house built
by a younger son of the first Baronet, and sold by him to the Hardinge
family. It was repurchased by the late Sir Robert Burdett, who inhabited it
while Foremark-hall was rebuilding. This house was afterwards pulled down.
There is a singular rock, about a quarter of a mile north-east of Foremark,
having at a distance the appearance of a ruin, with a rude door-way which
leads to several cells or excavations: it is called Anchor-church, and is said
to have been the residence of a hermit. Human bones have been found on
this spot. (fn. 54)
The present chapel at Foremark was built by Sir Francis Burdett, the
second Baronet, and consecrated by Bishop Hackett, in 1662. In this
chapel are several monuments of the Burdett family. (fn. 55) The benefice is a
donative curacy in the patronage of Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. It was
endowed by his ancestor of the same name, in the reign of Charles II.,
with 20l. per annum; and it has since been augmented with Queen Anne's
The manor of Ingleby (fn. 56) , formerly one of the chapelries of Repton, belonged, when the Survey of Domesday was taken, to Ralph Fitz-Hubert.
Clementia, Countess of Chester, held it in dower in 1255. (fn. 57) In the year 1290
Edmund Earl of Lancaster granted the manor of Ingleby to Sir Robert Somerville, whose family had some time before possessed lands in this chapelry.
Sir Robert gave it the following year to Repton priory. (fn. 58) Having been granted
to the family of Francis, it has passed with Foremark, and is now the property
of Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. Ingleby-hall is in the occupation of Robert
Charles Greaves, Esq. The chapel has long ago been demolished. The manor
of Milton was parcel of the priory estate, and has long been in the Harpur
family being now the property of Sir Henry Crewe, Bart. The village is
about a mile east of Repton.
Measham, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of
Repington, which, though long esteemed a separate parish, is, more properly speaking, a parochial chapelry, within the parish of Repton, lies in
that detached part of Derbyshire which is surrounded by Leicestershire,
three miles from Ashhy-de-la-Zouch, and ten from Burton-upon-Trent.
Part of the townships and villages of Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe is in this
In the year 1310, a market at Measham on Tuesday, and a fair for three
days at the festival of the Translation of St. Thomas the Martyr, were
granted to William de Bereford, who then possessed a manor in Measham. (fn. 59)
A market house was built not many years ago by Mr. Joseph Wilkes; but
there is now neither market nor fair. The market-house is converted into a
dwelling-house, the arches having been walled up.
The manor of Measham (Messeham) was in the crown, at the time of
taking the Domesday Survey. It was afterwards in the Earls of Chester.
Clementia, widow of Ranulph de Blundeville, Earl of Chester, was possessed of it in 1235. (fn. 60) Edmund de Bereford, probably a son of William, died
seised of a manor in Measham in 1355, Joan de Ellesfield, John de Maltravers, and Margaret de Audley being his next heirs. (fn. 61) Sir William Babing
ton, in 1454, died seised of Bereford's manor in Meysham, and of the
manor of Meysham called Dabridgecourts. (fn. 62) John Babington was possessed
of the manor of Meysham in 1474. (fn. 63) Sir Francis Anderson died seised of a
manor in Measham in 1616. Only one manor is now known, which seems
to be that which, in 1563, belonged to Edmund Lord Sheffield, and in
1712, to his descendant, Edmund Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham. The
manor of Measham is now the property of the Reverend Thomas Fisher,
who purchased it after the death of the late Mr. Joseph Wilkes. Mr.
Wilkes had purchased it of William Wollaston, Esq.
William Abney, Esq., who died in 1800, built a good house at a place
called Measham-field in this parish, now the property and residence of his
son, Edward Abney, Esq.
The chapel of Measham, was given as appendage of Repton, by Maud,
Countess of Chester, to Repton priory 5 it is said to have belonged afterwards to the priory of Gresley. Mr. Fisher is the present impropriator and
patron of the benefice, which is a donative curacy.
The Ashby canal passes through Measham, and there are two considerable
cotton factories there.
The manors of Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe have been spoken of under
Gresley. John Savage had a manor in Oakthorpe in 1200: and the abbot
of Burton had an estate there. The Marquis of Hastings claims a manor by
descent from the Earls of Huntingdon.
The parochial chapelry of Newton-Solney, in the hundred of Repton
and Gresley, and in the deanery of Repington, lies about three miles
from Burton-on-Trent, which is the post-town, and about nine from
The manor was held, at an early period under the Earls of Chester, by
the ancient equestrian family of Solney, whose coheiresses married Sir
Nicholas Longford and Sir Thomas Stafford. (fn. 64) This manor was inherited
by the Longfords, of whom it was purchased by the Leighs, in or before
the reign of Henry VIII. The heiress of Leigh brought Newton-Solney
to the Every family, and it is now the property of Sir Henry Every, Bart.
The principal landed estate in Newton-Solney belongs to Abraham Hoskins,
Esq., who purchased of Sir Henry Every, about 1795, and resides at
In the parish church are some ancient monuments of the Solney family (fn. 65) ,
and that of Sir Henry Every, who married one of the coheiresses of Sir
Francis Russel, Bart., and died in 1709.
Newton-Solney being a chapel of Repton, the tithes were appropriated to
that priory, at that place. Sir Henry Every is the present impropriator and
patron of the donative curacy.
The parochial chapelry of Smithsby, lies near the road from Ashby-dela-Zouch to Burton-on-Trent, about two miles (fn. 66) from the former, and seven
from the latter.
The manor of Smithsby, which in the reign of Edward the Confessor,
belonged to Earl Edwin, is described in the Survey of Domesday as the property of Nigel de Stafford. It afterwards belonged to the family of Comin
whose heiress married Shepey. In the year 1330, it belonged to John Shepey,
who in his answer to a quo warranto, stated, that his ancestors had from time
immemorial had a park within their manor there. The heiress of Shepey
married Kendall, of whose family it was purchased, in 1660, by the ancestor
of Sir Henry Crewe, Bart, the present proprietor. Smithsby-hall, formerly
the seat of the Kendalls, is now a farm-house.
In the parish church are some monuments of the Kendall family. (fn. 67)
The church of Smithsby, formerly a chapel to Repton, was given by Hugh,
Earl of Chester, to the priory of Calke. The great tithes are said in the
Liber Regis, to have been appropriated to Darley-Abbey. Sir Henry Crewe,
Bart., is now impropriator of the tithes and patron of the perpetual curacy.
The parochial chapelry of Tickenhall or Ticknall, in the hundred of
Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of Repington, lies about ten miles
from Derby, which is the post-town, and about five miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
The manor was given by Wulfric Spott, in the reign of King Ethelred,
to the abbot and convent of Burton, under whom it was held by William
Francis, Esq., in 1528. His son, of the same name, was seised of it in fee
in 1538. Edward Abell, Esq., died seised of it in 1597: in or about 1625
it was purchased of his son, Ralph Abell, by the immediate ancestor of Sir
Henry Crewe, Bart., the present proprietor.
In the chapel is the monument of Rachel, daughter of Gilbert Ward, and
wife of John Hanson, 1636.
The chapel of Tickenhall, as an appendage of the church of Repton, was
appropriated to the priory at that place. Sir Henry Crewe is now impropriator and patron of the donative curacy.
An hospital for decayed poor men and women of Tickenhall and Calke
parishes, was founded at Tickenhall, by Charles Harpur, Esq., (brother of
the late Sir Henry Harpur, Bart.,) who died in 1772. Mr. Harpur, by his
will bearing date 1770, bequeathed 500l. for the building, and the sum of
2000l. to trustees for the endowment. There are now only women in
this hospital, seven in number. The pensioners under Mr. Harpur's will
were directed to be appointed by Sir Henry Harpur, Bart., and his heirs.