Ashingdon (St. Andrew)
ASHINGDON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 2¼
miles (N. by W.) from Rochford; containing 119 inhabitants. This place is thought by the best writers to
have been the scene of the battle of Assandune, in which
Canute the Dane, after a sanguinary contest, vanquished
the Saxons under Edmund Ironside. The parish comprises 1165a. 1r. 11p. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the
gift of the Nottidge family: the tithes have been commuted for £285, and there are 20 acres of glebe.
ASHINGTON, with Sheepwash, a township, in the
parish of Bothal, union of Morpeth, E. division of
Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½
miles (E. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 76 inhabitants. The persons who are first named in the records
as connected with the property here, are the Morwicks,
Lumleys, and Fitzhughs; the family of Essendon (the
modern Ashington) are mentioned as lords of the manor
at the close of the 13th century, and the most important landowners since that period have been the families
of Coventre and Fenwick, from whom the place has descended to the Duke of Portland. The township comprises 583 acres of land, of which 444 are tillage, 112
grass, and 27 wood; the grounds are very beautiful in
some places by the side of the river Wansbeck, which is
navigable for keels and small boats as far as Sheepwash,
where it is crossed by a bridge. The tithes have been
commuted for £109. 6.—See Sheepwash.
Ashington (St. Vincent)
ASHINGTON (St. Vincent), a parish, in the union
of Yeovil, hundred of Stone, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Ilchester; comprising by
computation 560 acres, and containing 71 inhabitants.
The parish is finely wooded and fertile, the land rising
gently from the river Yeo, which bounds it on the east
and north; and looking over a rich and extensive vale,
the view is terminated at unequal distances by a bold
range of hills from the south-east to the north-west.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £6. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the family of
Williams: the tithes have been commuted for £125, and
there are 32 acres of glebe, with a house. The church
is a small neat structure, having a turret with two bells;
at the eastern end, on the outside, is a small niche with
three human figures, which admit a conjecture that they
refer to the history of St. Vincent, who was burnt alive
at Valentia, in Spain, in the year 304.
Ashington cum Buncton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
ASHINGTON cum Buncton (St. Peter and St.
Paul), a parish, in the union of Thakeham, hundred
of West Grinstead, rape of Bramber, W. division of
Sussex, 5 miles (N. W.) from Steyning, and on the road
from London to Worthing; containing 282 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£8. 5.; net income, £189; patron, G. Wyndham, Esq.
The church is in the later English style, and has some
fragments of stained glass in its windows. At Buncton
is a chapel of ease, with remains of Norman arches on
the outside of the chancel.
Ashley cum Silverley (St. Mary)
ASHLEY cum Silverley (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Newmarket, hundred of Cheveley,
county of Cambridge, 3¼ miles (E. by S.) from Newmarket; containing 417 inhabitants. These two places,
which are now consolidated, comprise 2143a. 3r. 25p.
At Silverley are only a farmhouse and two cottages,
with the tower of the ruined church; at Ashley are the
ruins of an old church situated in the burial-ground.
The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Silverley
annexed, valued in the king's books at £8; patron,
the Marquess of Bute; net income, £150, arising out of
272 acres of land allotted in lieu of tithes on the inclosure. The church is a small plain edifice.
ASHLEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon,
union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of Cheshire, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Knutsford;
containing 377 inhabitants. It comprises 2072 acres,
of a clayey and sandy soil. Ashley Hall, the ancient
manorial mansion, which is approached by a fine avenue
of stately walnut-trees, is remarkable for containing
eleven original portraits of gentlemen of this county,
ancestors of the Grosvenors, Cholmondeleys, and other
families, who formed a club during the progress of the
Pretender through the north, in 1715, when the expediency of joining his standard was debated, and the casting vote against the measure was given by Thomas
Asheton, the owner of the mansion. Arden House,
with 140 acres of land adjacent, is the property of
John Orrell, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for
£197 payable to the Bishop of Chester, and £8 to the
Ashley (St. Mary)
ASHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Market-Harborough, hundred of Corby, N. division
of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (W. by S.) from
Rockingham; containing 323 inhabitants. On the
north the parish is bounded by the river Welland, which
separates it from Leicestershire; it consists of 1182a.
2r. 20p. of a rich and fertile soil. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £17; net income, £320;
patron and incumbent, the Rev. Richard Farrer. The
tithes were commuted for land and a money payment,
under an inclosure act, in 1806.
Ashley (St. Mary)
ASHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Stockbridge, hundred of King's Sombourn, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton,
3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Stockbridge; containing 102 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1857 acres, of
which 1270 are arable, 400 wood, and 187 pasture, waste,
&c.; the soil rests chiefly on chalk. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 16. 3.; patron
and incumbent, the Rev. James Hannay: the tithes
have been commuted for £350, and the glebe comprises
about 40 acres. The church is an ancient and curious
structure, in the early English style. There are vestiges
of several Roman camps, and a circular intrenchment of
considerable dimensions, supposed to be British, or
ASHLEY, a tything, in the parish of Milton, union
of Lymington, hundred of Christchurch, Lymington and S. divisions of Hants; containing 552 inhabitants. It is situated to the east of the village of Milton,
and on the road from Lymington to Christchurch.
Ashley (St. John the Baptist)
ASHLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union of Market-Drayton, N. division of the hundred
of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles
(N. N. E.) from Market-Drayton; containing 853 inhabitants. It comprises 2800a. 3r. 32p. of fertile land.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£10. 2. 8½., and in the patronage of Thomas Kinnersley
and H. C. Meynell, Esqs.: the tithes have been commuted for £370, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The
church is a handsome structure in the early English
style, and contains splendid monuments and effigies of
the six Lords Gerard, the last of whom died in 1807;
also an elegant monument by Chantrey to Thomas Kinnersley, Esq., father of the present patron. There
are places of worship for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.
Ashley (St. James)
ASHLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Tetbury, hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and
Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (N. by
W.) from Malmesbury; containing 96 inhabitants. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £9. 16. 5½., and in the patronage of the Duchy of
Lancaster: the tithes have been commuted for £210,
and there are 34 acres of glebe.
ASHLEY-GREEN, a hamlet, in the parish of
Chesham, union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham,
county of Buckingham; containing 536 inhabitants.
ASHLEY-HAY, a township, in the union of Belper,
parish of Wirksworth, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 1¾ mile (S.) from Wirksworth; containing 272 inhabitants. The road from
Wirksworth to Derby passes here.
Ashley Lodge.—See Godshill-Wood.
ASHLEY LODGE.—See Godshill-Wood.
ASHLEY, NORTH, a tything, in the parish, union,
and hundred of Ringwood, Ringwood and S. divisions
of Hants; containing 237 inhabitants.
Ashling, East and West
ASHLING, EAST and WEST, tythings, in the parish of Funtington, union of Westbourne, hundred
of Bosham, rape of Chichester, W. division of
Sussex; containing, respectively, 310 and 455 inhabitants.
Ashmanhaugh (St. Swithin)
ASHMANHAUGH (St. Swithin), a parish, in the
union of Tunstead and Happing, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (E. by N.) from
Coltishall; containing 180 inhabitants. It comprises
665a. 2r. 23p., of which 571 acres are arable, 29 pasture
and meadow, and 37 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the family of Preston;
net income, £42; appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich,
whose tithes have been commuted for £145, and who
has a glebe of 5½ acres. The church, which is chiefly in
the early style, was thoroughly repaired and new-pewed,
and the tower rebuilt in 1840.
Ashmansworth (St. James)
ASHMANSWORTH (St. James), a parish, in the
union of Kingsclere, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere
and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7
miles (S. S. W.) from Newbury; comprising 1798 acres
by measurement, and containing 220 inhabitants. The
soil is strong clay mixed with flint stones, and rests on
chalk, the district being a portion of the high range of
chalk hills which form the northern boundary of the
South Downs. The living is annexed to the rectory of
East Woodhay: the tithes have been commuted for
£371, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.
Ashmore (St. Nicholas)
ASHMORE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Shaftesbury, hundred of Cranborne, Shaston division
of Dorset, 5 miles (S. E.) from Shaftesbury; containing
242 inhabitants. It comprises 2342 acres, of which 643
are common or waste; the soil is heavy and flinty, and
the ground elevated, rising 720 feet above the level of
the sea. The living, which formerly belonged to the
abbey of Tewkesbury, is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £7. 19. 9½.; net income, £389; patron, the
Rev. C. Chisholme. The glebe consists of about 30 acres.
The church, erected in 1433, is a plain edifice of stone
Asholt, county of Somerset.—See Aisholt.
ASHOLT, county of Somerset.—See Aisholt.
ASHORN, a township, in the parish of NewboldPacey, union of Stratford-on-Avon, Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the
county of Warwick, 6½ miles (N. N. W.) from Kington;
containing 274 inhabitants.
Ashover (All Saints)
ASHOVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Chesterfield, partly in the hundred of Wirksworth,
but chiefly in that of Scarsdale, N. division of the
county of Derby, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Chesterfield;
containing, with the chapelry of Dethwick-Lea, and the
hamlet of Holloway, 3482 inhabitants. This place, which
was formerly a market-town, and, according to Domesday book, had a church at the time of the Conquest,
occupies a pleasant site near the rivers Amber and Milntown, and within three miles of the Midland railway.
The parish comprises 9700a. 2r. 37p., of which 62 acres
are waste; the soil is various, and the lands are in
good cultivation. Coal, ironstone, millstone, gritstone, and lead-ore are found; and the Gregory leadmine here, 300 yards deep, is said to have once been the
richest in the kingdom, though its present produce is
inconsiderable. The manufacture of stockings is carried
on to a small extent, and the working of tambour lace
affords employment to the greater part of the female
population. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on the
25th of April and the 15th of October. Ashover is in the
honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster: constables and
other officers are appointed at the court leet of the lord
of the manor. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £24. 3. 1½.; net income, £481; patron,
the Rev. Joseph Nodder. The tithes were commuted
for land, under an inclosure act, in 1776; the glebe
comprises 150 acres. The church is a spacious edifice,
built in 1419, with a very handsome spire, and contains
a Norman font of curious design, and several monuments to the family of Babington. The chapel at Dethwick-Lea forms a distinct incumbency. There are places
of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists; and
a school endowed with £23 per annum.
Ashow (St. Mary)
ASHOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the Kenilworth
division of the hundred of Knightlow, union, and
S. division of the county, of Warwick, 2½ miles (S.
E. by E.) from Kenilworth; containing 172 inhabitants.
The parish contains by measurement 1000 acres, of
which about 800 are arable and pasture, and 200 woodland; the soil is chiefly red sand and clay. The lands
are intersected by the river Avon. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 1., and in
the patronage of Lord Leigh: the tithes have been commuted for £216. 17., and the glebe consists of about
Ashperton (St. Bartholomew)
ASHPERTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the
union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of
Hereford, 5¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ledbury;
containing 604 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1741 acres; and is intersected by the road from
Leominster to Ledbury, and the new canal from Ledbury
to Hereford. The living is annexed to the vicarage of
Stretton-Grandsome: the tithes have been commuted
for £350. 15.; and there is a quarter of an acre of glebe,
on which a school-house for boys has been built. The
parliamentary army was stationed at a place in the
parish, still called Cromwell's Walls.
Ashprington (St. David)
ASHPRINGTON (St. David), a parish, in the
union of Totnes, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough
and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 3 miles
(S. E.) from Totnes; containing 588 inhabitants. This
parish, which comprises about 2380 acres, is intersected
by the old road to Dartmouth, and washed by the Hareburne and the Dart, which latter river brings up colliers
and coasters. Ochre and iron are frequently met with;
and slate, dunstone, and limestone abound. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 1. 8.;
net income, £520; patron, the Rev. G. T. Carwithen.
The glebe consists of 25 acres.
Ashreigney, or Ring's Ash (St. James)
ASHREIGNEY, or Ring's Ash (St. James), a
parish, in the union of Torrington, hundred of North
Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon,
4 miles (W. by S.) from Chulmleigh; containing 1088 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4800 acres, of which
410 are common or waste. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage
of the Rev. J. T. Johnson: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and there are 70 acres of glebe. A
national school is endowed with £10 per annum.
Ashtead (St. Giles)
ASHTEAD (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of
Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Copthorne,
W. division of Surrey, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Epsom; containing 618 inhabitants. It comprises 2516a.
25p., of which 511 acres are common or waste; and is
pleasantly situated on the road from London, by Dorking, to Bognor and Worthing. A small fair is held on
the 4th of May. Ashtead Park is a fine structure of
white brick, and is said to have cost nearly £100,000;
it is surrounded by a demesne of 140 acres: here is preserved a very valuable collection of pictures. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 15. 5.,
and in the patronage of the Hon. Fulk Greville Howard
and Hon. Mrs. Howard: the tithes have been commuted
for £549. 12. 6., and there are 12½ acres of glebe. The
church is a neat building, beautifully situated in Ashtead
Park. An hospital for six poor widows was founded by
Lady Diana Fielding, and endowed with property producing £32. 7. per annum. Here is a mineral spring,
the water of which is similar to that of the Epsom wells.
A Roman encampment may be traced round what is
now the churchyard and part of Ashtead Park; and the
great Roman road by Noviomagus (now Woodcote Park)
passes along the south side of the parish. Sir Robert
Howard, the poet, resided here in the time of Charles II.,
by whom, it is said, he was often visited.
ASHTED, a district, in the parish and union of
Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick. This
place, which adjoins the town of Birmingham on the
north-east, and now forms a portion of that borough,
consists of good streets of well-built houses, and some
pleasant detached cottages and villas. About forty years
ago it contained but a few hundred residents; the present
population is very little, if at all, short of 25,000. At
the extremity of Great Brooke-street are the Vauxhall
gardens, which have lately been laid out very tastefully,
and where concerts and displays of fireworks take place
during the summer; in the same street are the barracks
erected soon after the Birmingham riots in 1791, a
handsome range of building, with a riding-school, hospital, and magazine, also a spacious area for the exercise
of cavalry, and a smaller for parade. From its proximity
to Birmingham, the hamlet participates in the trade and
manufactures of that town; there are a large glasshouse, flour-mills, and various other works, with several
wharfs on the line of the Birmingham canal. From
Ashted verge four lines of railway, the London, the
Gloucester and Bristol, the Grand Junction, and the
Derby, of all of which, as they proceed from Birmingham, the Vauxhall gardens command a full view. Adjoining the barracks is an episcopal chapel dedicated to
St. James, formerly the dwelling-house of Dr. Ash, from
whom the hamlet takes its name: it was purchased for
about £2700, and consecrated Sept. 7th, 1810; in 1830
it was repaired at an expense of £848, and in 1836
enlarged at a cost of £1300. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £210; patrons, the Hon. Frederic
Gough and the Ven. Archdeacons Spooner and Hodson,
as trustees. Here is a national school.