Barkwith, East (St. Mary)
BARKWITH, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Horncastle, E. division of the wapentake of
Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3
miles (N. E.) from Wragby; containing 255 inhabitants.
It is situated on the road from Lincoln to Louth; the
soil is fertile, and abounds with a fine chalk marl,
which is used as manure. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 10.;
net income, £195; patron, G. F. Heneage, Esq., who
is lord of the manor. The church is in the later style
of English architecture, with an embattled tower, and
has a font of very ancient date, highly ornamented; in
a niche over the porch is a figure of the Virgin and
Child. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Barkwith, West (All Saints)
BARKWITH, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Horncastle, E. division of the wapentake of
Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½
miles (N. E.) from Wragby; containing 130 inhabitants.
It contains by computation 700 acres; and is situated on
the road between Lincoln and Louth, the church standing at the thirteenth milestone from each of those
towns. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £5. 5.; net income, £160, derived
from 114 acres of land in lieu of tithes; patron, C. D.
Holland, Esq. There is a glebe-house in good repair,
with a handsome garden. The church is a plain building with an old tower.
Barlaston (St. John the Baptist)
BARLASTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 4¼ miles
(N. by W.) from Stone; containing 591 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 2087a. 2r. 23p. of inclosed land,
with about 60 acres of waste: the Grand Trunk canal
passes through. The village, which is well built, is
delightfully situated near the summit of a lofty acclivity
on the east side of the vale of the Trent, commanding
extensive and beautiful views: Parkfield is a hamlet of
pleasant houses on a terrace above the Trent. Barlaston
Hall, a handsome mansion, stands near the north end of
the village. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£150; patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church
is a modern building of brick, with an ancient stone
tower; it was enlarged in 1830, when a new gallery was
erected. There is a school for 28 children, to which
Thomas Mills, in 1800, bequeathed £12 per annum;
it is also endowed with a cottage and garden.
BARLAVINGTON, a parish, in the union of Sutton (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Rotherbridge,
rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 4½ miles (S.)
from Petworth; containing 132 inhabitants. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£5. 13. 4.; patrons, the family of Biddulph. The
tithes have been commuted for £100, and there are
8 acres of glebe.
Barlborough (St. James)
BARLBOROUGH (St. James), a parish, in the
union of Worksop, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 8 miles (N. E. by E.) from
Chesterfield; containing 804 inhabitants. It comprises
by estimation 3305 acres, of which 2000 are arable, and
1150 pasture and meadow land; and is intersected by
the roads from Chesterfield to Worksop, and from
Rotherham to Mansfield, which cross here at right
angles. There are some collieries in operation, and two
quarries of limestone. Barlborough Hall is a spacious
and interesting edifice of the Elizabethan style. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£10. 1. 5½., and in the patronage of the Rev. C. H. R.
Rodes; the tithes have been commuted for £600, and
there are 73 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome
structure, with a square tower. In 1752, Margaret and
Mary Pole founded an almshouse for six poor persons,
and endowed it with an estate now producing £75 per
BARLBY, a chapelry, in the parish of Hemingbrough, union of Selby, wapentake of Ouse and
Derwent, E. riding of York, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.)
from Selby; containing 387 inhabitants. This township, which has a long village, comprises 1411a. 3r. 15p.;
about 900 acres are rich arable land, and the remainder
pasture and common. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £65; patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough:
the great tithes produce £369 per annum. The chapel
is a neat brick edifice with an octagonal turret, built
BARLESTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union
of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S.
division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (N. E.)
from Market-Bosworth; containing 580 inhabitants, a
portion of whom are employed in the weaving of stockings. The chapel is dedicated to St. Giles.
Barley (St. Margaret)
BARLEY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of
Royston, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 2¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Barkway; containing 792 inhabitants. It contains by computation 2500
acres, and the road from Barkway to Cambridge runs
through the village. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £26. 13. 4., and in the patronage of
the Bishop of Ely: the tithes have been commuted for
£581, and the glebe consists of 32 acres. A school is
endowed with £10 per annum.
Barley, with Whitley-Booths
BARLEY, with Whitley-Booths, a township, in
the parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher
division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of
the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (W. by N.) from
Colne; containing 686 inhabitants. These are two adjoining villages at the foot of Pendle hill; WhitleyBooths is north of Barley, and distant from it about half
a mile. The area of the township is 1564 acres. In this
part the general patois of the county becomes almost
peculiar, being more rugged. An annual wake is held
BARLEYTHORPE, a chapelry, in the parish, union,
and soke of Oakham, county of Rutland, 1 mile (N.
W. by W.) from Oakham; containing 200 inhabitants.
The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter.
Barling (All Saints)
BARLING (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 4½ miles
(E. S. E.) from Rochford; containing 326 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 1258a. 3r. 10p., and is skirted by
a creek which flows into the river Thames from Rochford: it comprises the manors of Barling and Mucking,
the former of which is the property of the Dean and
Chapter of St. Paul's, London, by gift from Edward the
Confessor. Here are several good oyster-beds. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18;
patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter. The
great tithes have been commuted for £342, and the
vicarial for £171; the glebe comprises about 27 acres.
The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave,
north aisle, and chancel, with a tower surmounted by a
Barlings (St. Edward)
BARLINGS (St. Edward), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county
of Lincoln, 6½ miles (E. N. E.) from Lincoln; containing, with the township of Langworth, 352 inhabitants. An abbey for Præmonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Mary, was founded in 1154, the revenue
of which at the Dissolution was £307. 16. 6.: the last
prior was Dr. Mackerel, who, having put himself at the
head of an insurrection against the king's authority,
was taken and executed in 1536. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £55; patrons, T. T. Drake
and C. Turnor, Esqs. The church is in ruins. A
school is endowed with a rent-charge of £10.
BARLOW, a chapelry, in the parish of Staveley,
union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N.
division of the county of Derby, 3¾ miles (N. W. by
W.) from Chesterfield; containing 627 inhabitants.
The surface is undulated, and the scenery picturesque:
the district abounds with coal, but there are no mines
in operation; there are quarries of good stone for
building. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £95; patron, the Rector of Staveley. The tithes
were commuted, with certain exceptions, for land in
1817. The chapel is a plain neat structure, containing
300 sittings, of which one-third are free.
BARLOW, a chapelry, in the parish of Brayton,
union of Selby, Lower division of the wapentake of
Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 3¼ miles (S. E.)
from Selby; containing 284 inhabitants. It is on the
south bank of the Ouse, and comprises by computation
2150 acres; the railway from Selby to Hull passes at
a short distance on the north. The living is a donative;
net income, £30; patron, G. H. Thompson, Esq.; impropriator, the Hon. E. R. Petre. The tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1800. The
church is a small edifice.
BARLOW, LITTLE, a hamlet, in the parish of
Dronfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the
county of Derby, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Chesterfield; containing 59 inhabitants. The tithes, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land in 1817.
BARMBY-on-the-Marsh, a chapelry, in the parish
and union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire,
E. riding of York, 3½ miles (W.) from Howden; containing 506 inhabitants. This place, called in Domesday book Barnebi, was, according to tradition, parted by
William the Conqueror among forty of his soldiers;
and in conveyances of property it is described as being
in forty parts, or oxgangs, bearing the names of the
original owners. The township comprises 1459 acres,
of which 49 are common or waste. The village is pleasantly situated at the confluence of the Ouse and Derwent, and contains two sail-cloth and coarse linen manufactories. Races are held on the last Thursday in June.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £30; patron,
the Vicar of Howden. The chapel, dedicated to St. Helen,
was the tithe-barn of the prebendary of Barmby till the
dissolution of monasteries. There are places of worship
for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. In the reign of
James I. Richard Galthorpe gave to trustees certain
lands, now producing £100 per annum, to be applied to
the use of the poor, the reading minister, and the repairs of
the chapel, staiths, jetties, &c.; and John Blanchard endowed a lectureship, the appointment to which is vested
in the inhabitants. Here are two mineral springs called
St. Peter's and St. Helen's wells, one chalybeate, the
Barmby-on-the-Moor (St. Catherine)
BARMBY-on-the-Moor (St. Catherine), a parish,
in the union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division
of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 1¾
mile (W.) from Pocklington; containing 475 inhabitants.
It comprises 2471a. 1r. 26p., of which about two-thirds
are arable, and the remainder pasture, and moorland
abounding with game; the surface is for the most part
level, with a soil generally sandy. The village, which is
of considerable length, stands on the Hull and York
road, and was anciently a market-town, and of much
greater importance than at present, having received a
grant of various immunities, such as freedom from toll,
&c., which the inhabitants still enjoy, subject to the
payment of a small sum annually to the Dean and
Chapter of York. The ancient manor-house is surrounded by a moat. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income,
£50; patron, the Dean of York. The tithes were
commuted for land and a money payment, in 1777.
The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style,
with later additions: the original square tower has been
surmounted with a neat and well-proportioned spire of
later English character, and a handsome window inserted. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and
BARMER, a parish, in the union of Docking,
hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, 8 miles
(W. N. W.) from Fakenham; containing 61 inhabitants.
It comprises 1294a. 3r. 31p., nearly all arable; there
are 100 acres of plantation. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £5; patron and impropriator,
Thomas Kerslake, Esq. The church, which had been
long in ruins, was converted by the father of the present
patron into a mausoleum.
Barming (St. Margaret)
BARMING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W.
division of Kent, 2½ miles (W. by S.) from Maidstone;
containing 540 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 745a. 3r. 4p., is intersected by the road from
Maidstone to Tonbridge, and by the river Medway,
which is crossed by a stone bridge leading to East Farleigh, and by another of wood, called St. Helen's bridge,
on the road to West Farleigh. The soil is rich, and peculiarly adapted to the cultivation of hops and fruit, of
which latter a large quantity is sent to the London
market. There are 66 acres of common, The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 17. 1., and
in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been
commuted for a rent-charge of £400, subject to increase
or decrease according to the increase or decrease of hops
and fruit; and there are 70 acres of glebe. Here was a
Roman villa, the foundations of which were taken up a
few years ago, when coins of the Lower Empire, and of
Edward I. and later English monarchs, were found.
The abbess of St. Helen's, London, had a summer retreat
here; but there are no remains of the house. The poet
Smart resided upon his paternal estate in the parish;
and the Rev. John Harris, D.D., author of a History of
Kent, a Dictionary of Arts and Sciences, &c., formerly held
BARMING, WEST, a hamlet (formerly a parish),
locally in the parish of Nettlestead, union of Maidstone, hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, W.
division of Kent, 3 miles (S. W.) from Maidstone; containing 44 inhabitants. It comprises 323 acres of land;
and the river Medway, over which is a modern bridge,
flows along the southern border of the hamlet. The
living, which was a rectory, has been consolidated with
that of Nettlestead, and the church is in ruins. The
place is now deemed extra-parochial.
BARMOOR, a township, in the parish of Lowick,
union and E. division of Glendale ward, N. division
of Northumberland, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Wooler.
In 1417, the lords marchers assembled here, at the
head of a force amounting to 100,000 men, against the
Scots, who, on hearing of their approach, retreated
within their own territory. The English army also encamped in the vicinity prior to the battle of Flodden,
on the night after which the English general slept at
Barmoor wood. A fair was formerly held at Cross Hills,
between this place and Lowick. The tithes have been
commuted for £298. 16. 3. payable to the Dean and
Chapter of Durham, and £10. 11. 8. to the impropriators.
BARMPTON, a township, in the parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, union of Darlington, S. E. division
of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Darlington; containing 124 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 1502 acres, of which 887 are arable, and 615
grass land: the soil is a productive clay, with a small
part gravel; and the scenery pleasing and picturesque.
The principal farm was occupied some years since by
the brothers Collings, who contributed so much to improve and bring into public notice the breed of shorthorned cattle: at their sale in 1812, Comet, one of their
bulls, was disposed of for the enormous sum of 1000
guineas, and Lily, a cow, for 400 guineas. The tithes
have been commuted for £255.
BARMSTON, a township, in the parish of Washington, union of Chester-le-Street, E. division of
Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham,
4¾ miles (W.) from Sunderland; containing 81 inhabitants. This place was once the property of the very
ancient family of Hilton, of whom Sir Robert, in 1322,
granted to his chaplain all the wax and honey of his
wild bees in Barmston Park; it afterwards came to the
Lilburnes and the Tempests. On the banks of the river
Wear is an iron-foundry, and within the limits of the
township is also a mineral spring. The tithes have been
commuted for £128.
Barmston (All Saints)
BARMSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Bridlington, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 6 miles (S. by W.) from
Bridlington; containing 254 inhabitants. This is a remarkably fine agricultural parish, comprising by measurement 2290 acres, chiefly arable, of a loamy soil
excellent for the growth of all sorts of grain: on the
east is the sea, which every year washes away a small
portion of the land; and the coast abounds with gravel,
large quantities of which are used for repairing the
roads. The village is pleasantly situated at the northern
extremity of Holderness, on the road from Hull to Bridlington and Scarborough. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £13. 11. 10½., and in the patronage of Sir H. Boynton, Bart.: the rent-charge in lieu
of tithes is about £680, and there are 38 acres of glebe
in the parish, and 67 in the township of Ulrome, which
is partly in the parish of Skipsea. The church is in the
decorated English style, and has a nave, chancel, and
south aisle, with an embattled tower at the south-west
angle. In the chancel is a table-monument of white
alabaster, highly ornamented, and having a recumbent
effigy of a knight in plate armour, supposed to represent
Sir Martin de la See, who so signally assisted Edward
IV. after that monarch had landed at Ravenspurn, in
1471. There is a church at Ulrome; and a place of
worship for Wesleyan Methodists has been erected in
Barnack (St. John the Baptist)
BARNACK (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Stamford, soke of Peterborough, N.
division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (S. E.)
from Stamford; containing, with the hamlets of Pilsgate
and Southorpe, 860 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £28. 10.; net income,
£1025; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The tithes
were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act,
in the 39th and 40th of George III. The church is an
interesting and very ancient structure, in the early
Norman and English styles, with a tower, the lower part
of which, from the character of the arch opening from
it into the nave, is evidently of more ancient date than
the earliest of the Norman details, and probably one of
the very few specimens of Saxon architecture remaining
in the kingdom. A school is supported by subscription,
and by a donation from the funds of the poor's estate,
which consists of fifty-one acres and five tenements,
producing a rental of £72. An act for inclosing lands
was passed in 1841.
BARNACLE, a hamlet, in the parish of Bulkington, union of Nuneaton, Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 6 miles (N. E.) from Coventry; containing 263
inhabitants. It is mentioned in the Conqueror's survey,
and is supposed to have anciently belonged to the family
of Fitzwith. In the time of Elizabeth the manor was
granted to Michael Fielding, from whom it descended to
Basil Fielding, Earl of Denbigh.
BARNACRE, with Bonds, a township, in the parish
and union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness,
N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¼ miles (N. E.)
from Garstang; containing 628 inhabitants. The township comprises 4478a. 2r. 2p., in about equal portions of
arable and pasture, and nearly all the property of the
Duke of Hamilton: the surface is undulated, and the
soil various, and rich towards the Wyre, which river
divides the township from Garstang. The Lancaster
and Preston railway passes through for about two miles.
Excellent stone is obtained from a quarry here; and
there are two cotton-mills. Woodacre Hall was a residence of a former Duchess of Hamilton. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £148. 1. 9., payable
to W. Standish, Esq. At Bonds are the relics of Greenhalgh Castle, which was held for the king by the Earl of
Derby, in 1643, during the parliamentary war, and subsequently destroyed by Cromwell: it was erected by
Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby, in the reign of Henry
VII., for the protection of his newly acquired estates;
and is mentioned by Camden, as being situated near "the
swift stream of the Wyr."