BARTHERTON, a township, in the parish of
Wybunbury, union and hundred of Nantwich, S.
division of the county of Chester, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.)
from Nantwich; containing 32 inhabitants. It comprises 406a. 3r. 12p., of a clayey soil. The Grand Trunk
canal passes in the vicinity. The tithes have been
commuted for £32 payable to the Bishop of Lichfield,
and £5. 19. 6. to the vicar.
Bartholomew Hospital (St.)
BARTHOLOMEW HOSPITAL (ST.), an extraparochial liberty, in the hundred of Eastry, lathe of St.
Augustine, E. division of Kent, ¾ of a mile (S.) from
Sandwich; containing 54 inhabitants, and comprising
about 20 acres.—See Sandwich.
Bartholomew (St.), Hyde-Street, county of Southampton.—See Winchester.
BARTHOLOMEW (ST.), HYDE-STREET, county
of Southampton.—See Winchester.
Barthomley (St. Bertoline)
BARTHOMLEY (St. Bertoline), a parish, partly
in the union of Newcastle, N. division of the hundred
of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, but
chiefly in the hundred of Nantwich, unions of Congleton and Nantwich, S. division of the county of
Chester; containing 2725 inhabitants, of whom 422 are
in the township of Barthomley, 6½ miles (S. by E.) from
Sandbach. In the civil war, a troop of Lord Byron's
passing through this place, on the 22nd of December,
1643, made an attack upon the church, into which some
of the inhabitants had gone for safety. The troop soon
gained possession of it, and having set fire to the forms
and matting, made such a smoke as caused fifteen men
to retreat to the steeple, where they called for quarter;
their assailants, however, having gotten them into their
power, are said to have stripped them all naked, and
murdered twelve in cold blood, three only being suffered
to escape. The parish includes the townships of Alsager,
Balterley, Crewe, and Haslington, and comprises by
computation 11,000 acres, whereof 1981 are in Barthomley township: the surface is flat, and the soil
light and sandy; there are several excellent beds of marl.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£25. 7. 1., and in the gift of the Trustees of Lord
Crewe: the tithes have been commuted for £429 payable to impropriators, and £729 belonging to the incumbent, who has also a glebe of 90 acres. The church
exhibits various styles, and has a Norman porch on the
northern side ot the chancel. There are separate incumbencies at Alsager and Haslington; and a school
endowed with about £10 per annum.
BARTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Acklam,
union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of
York, 9½ miles (S. by W.) from Malton; containing 51
inhabitants. This place, also called Barthorpe-Bottoms,
is picturesquely situated on the west side of the Wolds:
the river Derwent passes on the west at a distance
of about three miles.
BARTINGTON, a township, in the parish of Great
Budworth, union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow,
N. division of the county of Chester, 3¾ miles (N. W.
by W.) from Northwich; containing 89 inhabitants. It
comprises 300 acres, of a sandy soil. The tithes have
been commuted for £30. 14., of which £29 are payable to
the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford.
BARTLEY REGIS, a tything, in the parish of
Eling, union of New Forest, hundred of Redbridge,
Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 288 inhabitants.
Bartlow (St. Mary)
BARTLOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge,
2 miles (E. S. E.) from Linton; containing 89 inhabitants. This place was supposed to have been the scene
of the conflict between Canute the Great and Edmund
Ironside, which took place in 1016, and in commemoration of which four artificial mounds on the lands near
Bartlow farm were thought to have been erected; but
on the exploration of these mounds between 1832 and
1840, all the remains discovered were evidently of Roman
origin. The parish comprises by computation 360
acres: a fair is held on the 12th of June. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 16. 8.;
net income, £259; patron, the Rev. John Bullen. The
church has a circular tower, of Norman architecture,
said to have been built in the eleventh century; the
body of the building is of the fifteenth century. On the
south wall of the nave is a curious painting of St.
Christopher, discovered in 1817, on the erection of a
monument to Sir William Blackett. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans in the hamlet of Bartlow.
Bartlow, Little, or Steventon-End
BARTLOW, LITTLE, or Steventon-End, a hamlet, in the parish of Ashdon, union of Linton, hundred
of Freshwell, N. division of Essex, 2¾ miles (S. E.)
from Linton; containing 216 inhabitants. This place,
supposed to have been formerly a distinct parish, is
civilly included in Ashdon, but ecclesiastically, and as
connected with the militia, is considered to be in Bartlow, county of Cambridge.
Barton (St. Peter)
BARTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Chesterton, hundred of Wetherley, county of Cambridge, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from Cambridge; containing 319 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1772
acres, of which about 1622 are arable, and 150 pasture.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£8. 11. 3., and in the gift of the Bishop of Ely: the
great tithes, belonging to King's College, Cambridge,
have been commuted for £400, and those of the incumbent for £135, with a glebe of 36½ acres. In 1839, an
act was obtained for inclosing lands.
BARTON, a township, in the parish of Farndon,
union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the
hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of
Chester, 9½ miles (S. S. E.) from Chester; containing
169 inhabitants. The manor was anciently held under
the barony of Malpas by the family of Barton, some
monuments of whom, with their effigies, were formerly
to be seen in Farndon church; it was afterwards long
held by the noble family of Cholmondeley. The township comprises 470 acres; the soil is clay and sand.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £105.
BARTON, with Bradnor and Rushock, a township in the parish and union of Kington, hundred of
Huntington, county of Hereford, ¾ of a mile (N. E.)
from Kington; containing 426 inhabitants.
BARTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of
the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from
Preston; containing 413 inhabitants. It lies on the
road, railway, and canal from Preston to Lancaster,
and comprises 2400 acres; about 600 are arable, 500
meadow, 90 wood, and the remainder pasture. The
surface is undulated, being at the foot of the Bleasdale
fells, the peculiar swell of which is continued in a lower
degree throughout the township; and the distant fells,
and the winding, rural, and wooded lanes, render the
scenery varied and pleasing. From the upper grounds
are obtained extensive views over the level Fylde, with
the sea beyond, embracing the Cumberland and Welsh
hills when the atmosphere is clear. The soil is deep
and productive, but retentive of moisture, as is the subsoil, which for the most part is a reddish clay, with
occasionally marl, sand, peat, and limestone. There
are indications of coal in the higher parts; and a quarry
of limestone is wrought, more valuable for building purposes than for burning. The township constitutes part
of the chapelry of Broughton, and there is a private
chapel on the Barton estate for the convenience of the
tenantry, the surplus seats being let to the inhabitants
of the adjoining township of Myerscough. This chapel,
which was in existence before the Reformation, is in the
Italian-Gothic style, with a handsome doorway, and has
a stained window enriched with the arms of the families
now and formerly connected with the estate: the building was enlarged in 1845, by the late George Jacson,
Esq., at a considerable expense. Barton Cross, a conspicuous and venerable ruin, which stood where three
lanes meet, was mischievously pulled down by some
idle persons in 1845.
Barton (St. George)
BARTON (St. George), a parish, in the union of
Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe,
S. division of the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles
(S. W. by S.) from Nottingham; containing 382 inhabitants. It is bounded by the river Trent, which is here
navigable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £19. 3. 9.; net income, £360; patron, the
Archbishop of York. The tithes were commuted for
land and a money payment, in 1759. The church has
several monuments of the Sacheverel family. On the
lofty eminence of Brent's hill, south of the village, are
the remains of a Roman camp; and in the vicarage
farmyard is a Roman pavement.
Barton (St. David)
BARTON (St. David), a parish, in the union of
Langport, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Somerton; containing 455 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises
945a. 31p., is intersected by the roads from KeintonMansfield to Butleigh and Baltonsborough respectively,
and the river Brue divides the parish from the last
named place. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £8; net income, £61; patron, the
Bishop of Bath and Wells. The tithes have been commuted for £170, and there are 54 acres of glebe, with a
house. The church is an ancient edifice, in the churchyard of which is a stone pedestal of St. David, preserved when the church was dedicated. There is a place
of worship for Independents.
BARTON, a tything, in the parish and union of
South Stoneham, hundred of Mainsbridge, Southampton and S. divisions of the county of Southampton;
containing 57 inhabitants.
BARTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Bidford,
union of Alcester, Stratford division of the hundred
of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick;
containing 147 inhabitants.
Barton (St. Michael)
BARTON (St. Michael), a parish, in West ward
and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (S. W. by
S.) from Penrith; comprising the chapelries of Martindale and Patterdale-with-Hartsop, and the townships
of High Barton, Sockbridge-with-Tirrel, Low Winder,
and Yanwith-with-Eamont-Bridge; and containing 1668
inhabitants, of whom 323 are in High Barton. The
parish comprises by measurement 15,000 acres, of
which 4355 are in High Barton; and among its many
villages is Pooley, a distinguished place of resort, distant
from Penrith five miles. The soil partakes of both clay
and gravel, and produces excellent corn and hay; the
land lies upon a slope, and is encompassed with lofty
mountains, among which, at its western extremity, is
Helvellyn, and at its eastern King Arthur's Round Table.
In the parish is part of the lake of Ullswater, from
which flows the river Eamont, separating Westmorland
from Cumberland. Barton Fell contains a great
variety of valuable minerals, including jasper, agate,
onyx, cornelian, chalcedony, &c., besides spars and
petrifactions of fish, shells, leaves, &c. At Hartsop
and Patterdale are extensive quarries of fine blue slate,
and at the latter place is a lead-mine. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 1. 0½.; net
income, £130; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale; impropriators, the Earl of Lonsdale, and E. W. Hasell,
T. Gibson, and J. De Whelpdale, Esqrs. The impropriate tithes of High Barton have been commuted for
£76. 13., and the vicarial for £49. 11.; the glebe consists of 75¼ acres. The church is a large low structure,
beautifully situated in the vale of Eamont. Martindale
and Patterdale have each a separate incumbency. A
free grammar school was founded in 1649, by Dr.
Launcelot Dawes and Dr. Gerard Langbaine, natives of
the parish, and the latter an industrious antiquary;
whose endowment of it has been augmented by subsequent benefactors to about £90 per annum.
Barton (St. Mary and St. Cuthbert)
BARTON (St. Mary and St. Cuthbert), a parish,
in the union of Darlington, wapentake of GillingEast, N. riding of York, 5 miles (S. W.) from Darlington; containing, with the township of Newton-Morrell
and part of Stapleton, 631 inhabitants, of whom 567
are in the township of Barton. This parish formerly
comprised the chapelries of St. Mary and St. Cuthbert,
together forming the township of Barton, and both
perpetual curacies, the latter in the patronage of the
Vicar of St. John's, Stanwick, and the former in that
of the Vicar of Gilling. In 1840, the churches being
in a dilapidated condition, the two curacies were consolidated into one benefice, and a new church was
erected by subscription. The parish is on the road
from Richmond to Darlington, and comprises about
2900 acres, of which 2335 are in the township of Barton; about two-thirds of the land are arable and in profitable cultivation, and the remainder meadow and pasture, with a small portion of woodland. The village is
pleasantly situated on the banks of a small rivulet, and
has an ancient cross in the centre. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the alternate patronage of the Vicars
of Stanwick and Gilling, with a net income of £120;
impropriators, John Allan, Esq., of Blackwell, and others.
The great tithes have been commuted for £125, and
those of the incumbent of Gilling for about £75; 23½
acres of glebe here are attached to the benefice of Easby,
and 37½ belong to that of Gilling. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
BARTON-BENDISH, a parish, in the union of
Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of
Norfolk, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Stoke-Ferry; containing 455 inhabitants. This place derives the affix to
its name from a dyke called Bendish, constructed here
by the Saxons as a boundary line to the hundred; it
formerly consisted of the three parishes of St. Andrew,
St. Mary, and All Saints, the two latter of which have
been consolidated. The whole comprises 4126a. 24p.,
whereof 3316 acres are arable, 450 meadow and pasture, and the remainder fen and waste. The living of
St. Andrew's is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£14, with a net income of £260, and in the patronage
of the Crown: the tithes were commuted in 1777 for
308 acres of land, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.
The church is a handsome structure in the early
and later English styles, with a square embattled tower,
and a south porch in the Norman style. The livings of
St. Mary's and All Saints' form a rectory, valued at
£11, with a net income of £300, and in the gift of Sir
H. Berney, Bart.: the tithes were commuted for 320
acres of land, and the glebe comprises 10 acres, with a
house. The church of St. Mary is chiefly in the early
English style, with a small belfry, the tower having
fallen in the reign of Anne: of the church of All Saints
there are no remains. In the hamlet of Eastmore was
anciently a chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
BARTON-BLOUNT, a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division
of the county of Derby, 11 miles (W.) from Derby;
containing 68 inhabitants. The manor was held in
1296 by the de Bakepuze family, from whom the place
acquired the name of Barton-Bakepuze; and after it
had passed into the possession of their successors, the
Blounts, it obtained its present affix. The families of
Merry, Simpson, Curzon, and Bradshaw subsequently
possessed the manor. The manor-house was garrisoned
in October 1644, by Col. Gell, on behalf of the parliamentarians. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £4. 19. 1.; net income, £69;
patron, F. Bradshaw, Esq.
Barton, Earl's (All Saints)
BARTON, EARL'S (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾
miles (S. W.) from Wellingborough; containing 1079
inhabitants. This place is situated a mile northward
from the navigable river Nene, and about the same distance from the Northampton and Peterborough railway,
which has a station here; it comprises 2330 acres of a
fertile soil. The greater part of the inhabitants are employed in shoe and mat making. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10, and
in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £183,
chiefly arising from 88 acres of land allotted on the
inclosure in lieu of tithes; impropriator, T. R. Thornton, Esq., holding 280 acres. The church is a curious
edifice, presenting specimens of various styles of architecture, and having a massive tower of rude Saxon construction. There are places of worship for Baptists and
Wesleyans; also a national school erected in 1844, a
neat building in the Elizabethan style. Almshouses for
three poor people were founded by Mrs. Mary Whitworth in 1823. To the north of the church is a large
tumulus or barrow, of Roman origin.
BARTON-END, a hamlet, in the parish of Horsley,
union of Stroud, hundred of Longtree, E. division
of the county of Gloucester; containing 268 inhabitants.
Barton, Great, or Bramble (Holy Innocents)
BARTON, GREAT, or Bramble (Holy Innocents),
a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 2½ miles (N. E. by
E.) from Bury; containing 774 inhabitants. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£10. 15. 7½., and in the patronage of Sir H. E. Bunbury,
Bart., whose seat is here: the tithes, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land and a money payment
in 1802. The produce of about 100 acres of land is
applied to the purchase of fuel for the poor, and to parochial purposes.
Barton-Hartshorn (St. James)
BARTON-HARTSHORN (St. James), a parish, in
the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 4¼
miles (W. S. W.) from Buckingham; containing 165
inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with
that of Chetwood annexed; net income, £80; patrons
and impropriators, the families of Bracebridge and
Barton-In-Fabis, Notts.—See Barton.
BARTON-IN-FABIS, Notts.—See Barton.
BARTON-IN-THE-BEANS, a township, partly in
the parishes of Shackerstone and Nailstone, but
chiefly in that of Market-Bosworth, union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division
of the county of Leicester, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from
Market-Bosworth; containing 161 inhabitants. Here
was formerly a chapel.
Barton-In-The-Clay (St. Nicholas)
BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY (St. Nicholas), a parish,
in the union of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county of
Bedford, 3¼ miles (S.) from Silsoe; containing 855
inhabitants. This place, which derives its distinguishing affix from its position at the commencement of the
clayey soil under Barton Hill, is situated on the road
from Luton to Bedford, and on the border of Hertfordshire: the manor formerly belonged to the monks of
Ramsey, since whose possession it has been in the
hands of many different families. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 9. 7.; net
income, £317; patron, the Crown. The tithes were
commuted for land and a money payment in 1809.
There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists; and
a school is endowed with property producing about £50
per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes in 1807.
Barton-Le-Street (St. Michael)
BARTON-LE-STREET (St. Michael), a parish,
in the union of Malton, partly in the wapentake of
Bulmer, but chiefly in that of Ryedale, N. riding of
York; containing 419 inhabitants, of whom 185 are in
the township of Barton, 6 miles (N.) from Whitwell.
This parish is bounded on the north by the river Ryle;
and, including the townships of Coneysthorpe and Butterwick, comprises by computation 3200 acres, of which
about 1500 are in the township of Barton. The surface
is undulated, and the scenery beautifully varied; the
soil is of moderate quality, and limestone for building
and for burning into lime is extensively quarried. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14.
8. 6½.; net income, £450; patron, Hugh M. Ingram, Esq.
The church, an ancient structure with a campanile
turret, is said to have been erected with materials from
the ruins of St. Mary's Abbey, York; it contains some
curious specimens of sculpture. A chapel was erected at
Coneysthorpe in 1837, at the expense of the Earl of
Carlisle, sole proprietor of that township.
BARTON-LE-WILLOWS, a township, in the parish
of Crambe, union of Malton, wapentake of Bulmer,
N. riding of York, 10½ miles (N. E.) from York; containing 207 inhabitants. There is a place of worship
Barton, St. Mary
BARTON, ST. MARY, a hamlet, in the parish of
St. Mary-de-Lode, Gloucester, union of Gloucester, Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and
King's Barton, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 1674 inhabitants.