Boxworth (St. Peter)
BOXWORTH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
St. Ives, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge,
6½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Caxton; containing 326 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £18. 12. 3½., and in the patronage of George
Thornhill, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£490, and the glebe comprises 126 acres. The church
contains a monumental bust of Dr. Saunderson, F.R.S.,
the blind professor of mathematics at the University of
Cambridge; he died and was buried here, in 1759.
BOYATT, a tything, in the parish of Otterbourne,
union of Hursley, hundred of Buddlesgate, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton;
containing 160 inhabitants.
BOYCUTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Stowe, union,
hundred, and county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. W.
by W.) from Buckingham; containing 35 inhabitants.
Boylestone (St. John The Baptist)
BOYLESTONE (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Uttoxeter, hundred of Appletree,
S. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (E. by N.)
from Uttoxeter; containing 343 inhabitants. The
manor is described in the Domesday survey as one of
the possessions of Henry de Ferrars. It was afterwards
held in moieties, which became for a time separate
manors; the Cotton family possessed it for many generations, and it subsequently came to the Fitzherberts,
Venables, Grosvenors, and others. The parish comprises 1700 acres, mostly pasture and dairy-farms; the
surface is undulated, and the soil marl. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£6. 0. 2.; net income, £260; patron, the Rev. W.
Hurst: an allotment of land, and money payments, were
assigned in 1783 in lieu of tithes. The church is a neat
structure in the early English style, with a square
Flemish tower, and stands very picturesquely; it was
restored in 1843–4, at a cost of £550. The Wesleyans
and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. An
excellent school-house, with a residence for the master
and mistress attached, was built in 1844, at a cost of
£570; the site was purchased and presented by John
Broadhurst, Esq., of Acton: the schools are on the
Boynton (St. Andrew)
BOYNTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of
York, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Bridlington; containing
100 inhabitants. It is on the road from Bridlington to
Malton, and comprises by computation 2100 acres, the
property of Sir George Strickland, Bart.; the family
were anciently seated at Strickland, in the county of
Westmorland, but the principal branch has been settled
here more than two centuries. Boynton Hall, the residence of the baronet, is a lofty and handsome mansion,
beautifully situated upon an eminence in a richly wooded
park; the acclivities present some fine plantations, and
a large sheet of water ornaments the grounds. On an
elevated ridge, south of the Hall, is a pavilion erected
by the late Sir George, from which is obtained an extensive prospect both of sea and land, particularly of
Bridlington bay and the eastern heights of the Wolds.
The village is in the vale of a rivulet flowing in an eastern
direction to the coast. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 2., and
in the patronage of Sir George Strickland, the impropriator, with a net income of £141: land and a money
payment were assigned in 1777, in lieu of tithes. The
church, which was rebuilt in the early part of the last
century, consists of a nave and chancel, with a handsome tower; in the chancel are several monuments to
the Strickland family.
BOYTON, a parish, in the union of Launceston,
partly in the hundred of Black Torrington, N. division of the county of Devon, but chiefly in that of
Stratton, E. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (N. by W.)
from Launceston; containing, with the hamlet of Northcott, in Devon, 600 inhabitants. It comprises between
4000 and 5000 acres: the soil is clay, and in general
very shallow, the surface rather hilly; there is a considerable quantity of coppice. The Bude and Launceston, or Tamar, canal intersects the parish. A fair is
held on August 5th. The living is a perpetual curacy,
net income, £123; patron, the Rev. G. Prideaux; impropriator, H. Thompson, Esq. Between this place and
North Tamerton is an ancient thatched building, called
Hornacott Chapel, now occupied by a labourer.
Boyton (St. Andrew)
BOYTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Woodbridge, hundred of Wilford, E. division of
Suffolk, 8 miles (E. by S.) from Woodbridge; containing 239 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1650 acres;
the soil is for the most part light and heathy, with some
few acres of marsh, and the surface level. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 1., and
in the gift of the Trustees of Mrs. Mary Warner: the
tithes have been commuted for £388, and the glebe consists of 23 acres. An almshouse was built in 1743, and
liberally endowed by Mrs. Warner.
Boyton (St. Mary)
BOYTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster
and S. divisions of Wilts, 1 mile (W. by S.) from Codford; containing, with the township of Corton, 360 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the road
from Bath to Salisbury, and intersected by the river
Willey, comprises by measurement 3720 acres. The
mansion-house of the Lamberts, adjoining the church,
is an ancient edifice in the Elizabethan style, the grounds
of which retain their original character; the terrace,
walks, and hedges of yew-trees still remain as they probably appeared in 1660. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £27. 17. 3½., and in the patronage
of Magdalene College, Oxford: the tithes have been
commuted for £560, and the glebe comprises 20 acres.
The church is an ancient and picturesque structure, in
the early and decorated English styles, with a porch of
elegant design; the interior is embellished with a beautiful circular window, and in the south aisle is a sepulchral chapel, now belonging to the Lambert family, but
originally built by the Giffards, of whom Sir Alexander
Giffard, the friend of the younger Long Espée, was interred here. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Aylmer Bourke Lambert, the celebrated botanist, was
born in the parish.
Bozeat (St. Mary)
BOZEAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Wellingborough, hundred of Higham-Ferrers, N.
division of the county of Northampton, 5¾ miles (N.)
from Olney; containing 845 inhabitants. This parish
is situated on the border of Bedfordshire, and comprises
2537a. 3r. 8p., of which above 120 acres are woodland;
the surface is in some parts hilly, especially at the north
end, and in others level; the soil is a cold clay. Limestone is quarried. The road from Wellingborough to
Olney passes through the village. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Strixton consolidated, valued in the king's books at £8; net income,
£183; patron, Earl Spencer; impropriators, the representatives of the late Dr. Laurence, Archbishop of
Cashel: the glebe comprises 120 acres. Land and
annual money payments were assigned in 1798, in
lieu of tithes. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Brabourne (St. Mary)
BRABOURNE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
East Ashford, franchise and barony of Bircholt,
lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 7 miles (E. by
S.) from Ashford; containing 889 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3504 acres, and is crossed by
the railway from London to Dovor: there are 227 acres
of wood. Extensive cavalry and infantry barracks were
erected a few years since. A fair for toys and pedlery
is held on the last day in May. The living is a vicarage,
with the rectory of Monk's-Horton consolidated, valued
in the king's books at £11. 12. 6., and in the gift of the
Archbishop of Canterbury. The great tithes of Brabourne, belonging to his Grace, have been commuted
for £613, with a glebe of 82 acres; and those of the
incumbent for £270, with a glebe of one acre, and a
residence. The church is very ancient, and contains
numerous interesting monuments. There is a chapel
for Calvinistic Baptists.
Braceborough, or Braceburgh (St. Margaret)
BRACEBOROUGH, or Braceburgh (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Stamford, wapentake of
Ness, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 7 miles
(N. E.) from Stamford; containing, with the hamlet of
Shillingthorpe, 231 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £195: corn-rents
were assigned in the 39th and 40th of George III. in
lieu of tithes. There is a fine spring called the Spa, with
convenience for bathing; its waters are beneficial in
cases of scurvy.
Bracebridge (All Saints)
BRACEBRIDGE (All Saints), a parish, in the
wapentake of Boothby-Graffo, parts of Kesteven,
union and county of Lincoln, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from
Lincoln; containing 127 inhabitants. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 9. 9½., and in
the patronage of the family of Bromehead; net income,
£203; impropriators, Edward Gibbeson, Esq., of Red
Hall, and William Colegrave, Esq. The church is ancient, and consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle,
with a tower.
Braceby (St. Margaret)
BRACEBY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (W.
by N.) from Falkingham, and 7 (E.) from Grantham;
containing 155 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage,
united to that of South Grantham: the impropriate
tithes have been commuted for £132. 17. 6., and the
vicarial for £55. The church is a small structure, without a tower; the exterior cornice is curiously wrought
with the heads of men, foxes, roses, &c.
Brace-Meole (All Saints)
BRACE-MEOLE (All Saints), a parish, in the
union, and partly within the borough, of Shrewsbury,
N. division of Salop, 1½ mile (S.) from Shrewsbury;
containing 1195 inhabitants. It comprises 2487a. 3r. 3p.,
of which 1079 acres are arable, 1382 meadow, pasture,
and homesteads, and 25 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5;
patron, the Ven. Edward Bather, Archdeacon of Salop;
impropriators, the landowners. The great tithes have
been commuted for £119, and the vicarial for £391: there
are 11 acres of glebe. The Shrewsbury house of industry,
a noble building, stands in the parish.
Bracewell (St. Michael)
BRACEWELL (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of
Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 9
miles (W. by S.) from Skipton; containing 153 inhabitants. This place is called in ancient documents Breiswell and Brais-well, signifying "the well on the bray" or
"brow." The parish comprises by computation 1920
acres: the surface is beautifully undulated, and the hills
are covered with luxuriant verdure; the lands are chiefly
in pasture. The ancient manor-house, now a ruin, consisted of a centre with two boldly projecting wings, built
of brick in the reign of Henry VIII.; and to the north
of it are the remains of a former house of stone, in which
an apartment called "King Henry's parlour" was the
retreat of Henry VI. There are some quarries of excellent limestone, which is used both for building and
for burning into lime. The village is pleasantly situated
and neatly built: on the north the parish adjoins the
turnpike-road between Gisburn and Skipton; and the
Leeds and Liverpool canal passes about two miles east
of the church. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £2. 2. 9½., net income,
£123; patron and impropriator, Earl de Grey. The
church, nearly adjoining the manor-house, and probably
founded by the Tempest family, is an ancient structure
chiefly in the Norman style, enlarged by the addition of
a north aisle in the reign of Henry VII.: it has a plain
Norman doorway on the south, and a similar arch divides
the chancel from the nave; it contains the family-vault
of the Tempests, whose armorial bearings embellish
several of the windows. On the summit of two hills,
called Howber and Gildersber, are remains of military
works, said to have been thrown up by the army
of Prince Rupert, on its march through Craven, in
BRACKEN, a township, in the chapelry of Kilnwick, union of Driffield, Bainton-Beacon division of
the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 6¾
miles (S. W. by S.) from Driffield; containing 33 inhabitants. It is on the road from Beverley to Malton,
and comprises about 600 acres. The village was formerly populous; and contained a chapel, the cemetery
belonging to which remains undisturbed.
BRACKENBOROUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of
Little Grimsby, union of Louth, wapentake of Ludborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½
miles (N.) from Louth; containing 63 inhabitants.
BRACKENFIELD, an ecclesiastical district, in the
parish of Morton, union of Chesterfield, hundred of
Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 4 miles
(N. W.) from Alfreton; containing 459 inhabitants.
The family of Heriz possessed Brackenfield, then called
Brackenthwayte, in the reign of King John; it afterwards became the property of the Willoughbys, and in
later times of the Turbutt family. The district comprises
1557a. 24p., whereof 452 acres are arable, 905 pasture,
and 63 wood: it is skirted by the Midland railway.
Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Morton;
net income, £32, derived from the interest of £1000,
Queen Anne's Bounty. A rent-charge of £176. 15. has
been awarded as a commutation of the tithes. The
chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was rebuilt in
1846. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; and a national school, for which a house was
built in 1844, is supported by subscription.
BRACKENHILL, a township, in the parish of
Arthuret, union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E.
division of Cumberland, 4¼ miles (E. by N.) from
Longtown; containing 373 inhabitants. In this township is the small hamlet of Easton, which anciently gave
name to a parish, long since included within the parishes
of Arthuret and Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk.
Brackenholme, with Woodhall
BRACKENHOLME, with Woodhall, a township,
in the parish of Hemingbrough, union of Howden,
wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, E. riding of York,
3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Howden; containing 77 inhabitants. It is situated in the vale of the Derwent, and
comprises about 1200 acres: the village is on the road
from Howden to Hemingbrough.
BRACKENTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of
Lorton, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward
above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 8½ miles
(W. by S.) from Keswick; containing 116 inhabitants.
The neighbourhood abounds with beautiful and picturesque scenery.
BRACKLEY, an incorporated market-town, a parish, and the head of a union,
in the hundred of King'sSutton, S. division of the
county of Northampton,
20 miles (S. W. by S.) from
Northampton, and 64 (N.
W. by W.) from London;
containing 2121 inhabitants,
of whom 887 are in the
parish of St. James, and
1234 in that of St. Peter,
which includes the hamlet of Halse. This place derives
its name from the Anglo-Saxon Bracken, signifying fern,
with which the neighbourhood formerly abounded: it
was a Saxon burgh of considerable importance, but was
greatly injured by the Danes. In the reign of John,
Saher de Quincy, Earl of Winchester, joined the confederate barons at Stamford, and marched with them
to Brackley, whence they sent a remonstrance setting
forth their grievances to the king, who was then at
Oxford. In the reign of Henry III. two splendid tournaments were held on a plain called Bayard's Green,
near the town. Edward II., who conferred many privileges upon Brackley, made it a staple town for wool;
and in the reign of Edward III., having become famous
for its trade, it sent three representatives, as "Merchant
Staplers," to a grand council held at Westminster. In
the time of Henry VIII., the plague raging violently at
Oxford, the fellows and scholars of Magdalen College
removed to this town, and resided in an hospital founded
by Robert le Bossu, Earl of Leicester, about the middle
of the twelfth century, and of which there are considerable remains; the chapel, with a broad low tower on
the north-west side, being still entire.
Seal and Arms.
The town, which was formerly of much greater
extent, is on the border of Buckinghamshire, and is
situated on the declivity of a hill, near a branch of the
river Ouse, whose source is in the immediate vicinity:
it is divided into two portions, New and Old; the latter,
which is the smaller, is without the limits of the borough.
The principal street, nearly a mile in length, extends
from the bridge up the acclivity of the hill, and contains
many good houses, mostly built of stone; there is an
abundant supply of water. The inhabitants are chiefly
occupied in the making of bobbin-lace, and boots and
shoes. The market is on Wednesday; the fairs are
principally for horses, horned-cattle, and sheep, and are
on the Wednesday after Feb. 25th, the second Wednesday in April, the Wednesday after June 22nd, the
Wednesday after Oct. 11th (a statute-fair), and Dec.
11th, which is a great fair for cattle and wearing-apparel.
The inhabitants are supposed to have received their first
charter of incorporation in the reign of Edward II., and
subsequent charters were granted in the 2nd and 4th of
James II., by which the government is vested in a
mayor, six aldermen, and twenty-six burgesses. The
elective franchise was conferred in the 1st of Edward
VI., the borough from that time returned two members
to parliament, but was disfranchised by the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45. The powers of the county debt-court
of Brackley, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Brackley. The town-hall, a handsome
building in the centre of the town, supported on arches,
under which the market is held, was erected in 1706, by
Scroop, Duke of Bridgewater, at a cost of £2000.
Brackley comprises the parishes of St. Peter and
St. James, which, though ecclesiastically united, are distinct as regards civil affairs; the former consists of
3716 acres, and the latter of 430a. 3r. 36p. The living
is a consolidated vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£19. 1. 6.; net income, £359; patron, the Earl of
Ellesmere. Under an inclosure act, in 1829, land and
a money payment were assigned in lieu of tithes; and
under the recent act, impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £167. 10., and vicarial for
one of £238. 6. 10. The church of St. Peter is an
ancient building, with a low embattled tower, and contains a Norman font of curious design: St. James',
formerly a parochial church, is now a chapel of ease.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The free
grammar school was founded about the year 1447, by
William of Wainfleet, who endowed it for ten boys,
with £13. 6. 8. per annum, which sum is paid by the
society of Magdalen College, Oxford, to whom the site
of the ancient hospital was granted at the time of its
dissolution. A national school is supported by subscription; and a school-house, of Bath stone, for an infants'
school, has been built by the Earl of Ellesmere, at a cost
of £400. Almshouses for six aged widows were founded
by Sir Thomas Crewe, in 1633, and endowed with a
rent-charge of £24, which was increased, in 1721, by
his descendant, Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham, to £36.
The poor law union of Brackley comprises 30 parishes
or places, of which 25 are in the county of Northampton,
3 in that of Buckingham, and 2 in that of Oxford; and
contains a population of 13,508. The site of a castle
built by one of the Norman barons, is still called the
Castle Hill. Samuel Clarke, an eminent orientalist, and
one of the coadjutors of Walton in publishing the Polyglot Bible, was born here, in 1623; and Dr. Bathurst,
Bishop of Norwich, who died in 1837, was also a native.
Brackley gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Ellesmere.