CHISWORTH, a township, in the parish and union
of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the
county of Derby, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from Chapel-en-leFrith; containing 532 inhabitants. It comprises 844
acres, and has an old romantic village, seated about four
miles south-west of Glossop. There are a colliery, a
cotton-spinning factory, and an establishment for candlewicks. A Methodist place of worship was built in 1831.
The ruins of an old chapel and monastery still exist at
CHITHURST, a parish, in the union of Midhurst,
hundred of Dumpford, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Midhurst;
containing 232 inhabitants. It is intersected by the
river Rother, and comprises 1047 acres, of which 275
are common or waste. The living is a rectory, annexed
to that of Iping: the church is in the early English
style of architecture.
Chittern (All Saints)
CHITTERN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster
and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Heytesbury; containing 403 inhabitants. It is situated on
the road from Amesbury to Bristol, and comprises by
measurement 4288 acres; the lands are watered by
several springs, which, during part of the year, rise in
the parish and neighbourhood, and, uniting, form a considerable stream. The living is a discharged vicarage,
with the vicarage of Chittern St. Mary, and is valued in
the king's books at £7. 0. 10.; net income, £319; patrons, alternately, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter
of Salisbury; impropriators of All Saints', the family of
Serle. The tithes of both parishes were commuted for
land and corn-rents, in 1815, and the great tithes of All
Saints' have been, under the recent act, commuted for
£113. The church is an ancient structure. Westward
from the place is a small Roman camp, named Knooke
Castle, and near it an irregular ditch running in various
directions, as if intended to form some ancient boundary
line; there are also some remains of a convent in the
parish. Commodore Michel, who circumnavigated the
globe with Captain Cook, was born and buried here.
Chittern (St. Mary)
CHITTERN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster
and S. divisions of Wilts, 3¾ miles (E. by N.) from
Heytesbury; containing 180 inhabitants. It comprises
by measurement 1075 acres, and is in every respect
similar to the parish of Chittern All Saints; they both
form one village of a single street, each side of which is
respectively in its own parish. The living is a discharged
vicarage, united to that of All Saints, and valued in the
king's books at £6: the appropriate tithes, belonging to
the Dean and Chapter of Sarum, have been commuted
for £125; the vicarial glebe consists of 164 acres. There
is a place of worship for dissenters.
Chittlehampton (St. Urith)
CHITTLEHAMPTON (St. Urith), a parish, in the
union and hundred of South Molton, South Molton
and N. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (W.) from South
Molton; containing 1893 inhabitants. This parish,
which is situated on the river Taw, and intersected by
the new Exeter road, comprises 8673 acres, of which
150 are common or waste. It is enlivened with some
beautiful scenery on the banks of the river, especially at
Head Wood; and the grounds of Hudscott, one of the
seats of the Rolle family, add materially to the interest
of the view. Culm is obtained within its limits, and
limestone is found, imbedded in thick slate or flagstone.
A fair is held on the third Thursday in March. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£34. 18. 11½.; net income, £413; patrons and impropriators, the family of Rolle. The church is in the later
English style, and has a handsome embattled tower: the
pulpit is richly ornamented with figures of saints and
with foliage finely carved, and the window above the
altar is embellished with painted glass; there are some
beautiful monuments to the Giffards and the Rolle family.
A chapel, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1838, by
subscription, aided by a grant of £200 from the Incorporated Society, and was endowed by Lord Rolle, who
also built a residence for the minister. At Brightley
are to be seen some remains of an ancient mansion and
CHITTOE, a tything, in the parish of Bishop'sCannings, union of Devizes, hundred of Potterne
and Cannings, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 5
miles (N. W.) from Devizes; containing 207 inhabitants.
Here is a church, dedicated to St. Mary, and having a
consolidated chapelry attached; it is built on a site
given by Mrs. Starkie, is in the old English style, was
consecrated in October, 1845, and contains 170 sittings.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop
Chivelstone (St. Sylvester)
CHIVELSTONE (St. Sylvester), a parish, in the
union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon,
6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Kingsbridge; containing
591 inhabitants. It comprises 2547 acres, of which
555 are common or waste. The living is annexed to
the vicarage of Stokenham. At Ford is a meetinghouse for dissenters.
Chivesfield, Hertford.—See Graveley.
CHIVESFIELD, Hertford.—See Graveley.
CHIVINGTON, EAST, a township, in the parish of
Warkworth, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 10½
miles (N. N. E.) from Morpeth; containing 289 inhabitants. This place is situated on the eastern coast, and,
with West Chivington, is the property of Earl Grey.
Part of the land, adjoining Druridge bay, was formerly
overflowed by the tide, owing to its lying low, and from
that circumstance is called the Salt meadow. As a
commutation for the tithes, £344 are payable to the
Bishop of Carlisle, and £57. 15. to the vicar of Warkworth.
CHIVINGTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Warkworth, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles
(N. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 67 inhabitants.
It was formerly, like East Chivington, of more importance than it is at present, as appears from the foundations of houses still to be seen. The township comprises
1816 acres, of a stiff soil, mostly arable; 150 acres are
meadow, and 500 wood: the surface is generally level,
the air salubrious, and there are fine sea views. The
tithes have been commuted for £150. 7. payable to the
Bishop of Carlisle, and £16. 2. to the vicar of the parish.
There was formerly a chapel, which has long been in ruins:
the burial-ground still remains.
Chobham (St. Lawrence)
CHOBHAM (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the
union of Chertsey, First division of the hundred of
Godley, W. division of Surrey, 4½ miles (E. S. E.)
from Bagshot; containing 1989 inhabitants. The parish
comprises about 13,000 acres, of which 4500 are arable,
pasture, and meadow, 40 wood and plantation, and the
rest waste and common forming part of Bagshot Heath;
the surface is hilly, and the soil generally sand, incumbent on beds of gravel. The village, which is situated in
a valley, is a polling-place for the western division of the
county: many of the houses are of red brick and well
built, and the shops are of respectable appearance. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£10. 2. 1.; net income, £148; patron, John Thornton,
Esq.; impropriators, Sir W. Abdy, Bart., and others.
The glebe contains about 70 acres. The church is in
the early style of English architecture, with modern
windows, and contains several neat monuments. A small
chapel of ease dedicated to the Trinity has been erected
at West-End, in the parish; and there is a place of worship for Baptists. A school is supported, to which
Thomas Bainbridge, Esq., bequeathed, in 1834, £360 in
the three per cent. consols.: there are a benevolent
society and a lying-in fund; and the parish derives
from £40 to £50 per annum from Henry Smith's
charity. At Chobham Park are the remains of a large
mansion, in which Archbishop Heath died, in 1579.
Near Westby Green is a chalybeate spring.
CHOLDERTON, EAST, a chapelry, in the parish of
Amport, union and hundred of Andover, Andover and
N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles
(W.) from Andover; containing 328 inhabitants.
Cholderton, West (St. Nicholas)
CHOLDERTON, WEST (St. Nicholas), a parish,
in the union and hundred of Amesbury, Salisbury and
Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (E. by N.)
from Amesbury; containing 170 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1662 acres, of which 1410 are
arable, 147 meadow and pasture, and 35 woodland: the
new road from Salisbury to Marlborough passes through
the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £11. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Oriel College,
Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £267, and
the glebe contains 9 acres, with a glebe-house lately
built. A new church has been erected near the site of
the old one. Anthony Cratcherode, Esq., in 1753,
bequeathed £12 per annum for charitable purposes.
Chollerton (St. Giles)
CHOLLERTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union
of Hexham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division
of Northumberland; containing, with the chapelry
of Birtley, and the townships of Barrasford, Colwell
with Swinburn, and Gunnerton with Chipchase, 1129
inhabitants, of whom 155 are in the township of Chollerton, 6 miles (N.) from Hexham. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 14. 4½.; net
income, £361; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. Bird;
impropriators, the Mercers' Company and others. The
great tithes of the township of Chollerton have been
commuted for £233, and the small for £76; the vicar
has a glebe of 7 acres. The church contains an east
window of stained glass. At Birtley is a separate incumbency. About a mile from the village of Chollerton
was the line of the walls and fosse erected by the Romans
and South Britons, at various times, to protect themselves from the incursions of the Picts.
CHOLMONDELEY, a township, in the parish of
Malpas, union of Nantwich, Higher division of the
hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of
Chester, 7½ miles (W.) from Nantwich; containing
260 inhabitants. Cholmondeley House was garrisoned
in 1643, by 400 royalists, who, in the month of April,
were attacked and defeated by the parliamentary troops
from Nantwich, losing 50 men and 600 horses; it was
afterwards recaptured by the royalists, who were driven
from it again on the 30th of June, 1644. The present
splendid seat of the Marquess of Cholmondeley, about
half a mile from the former house, was begun in 1801,
and completed in 1804; a chapel, to which the tenants
may resort, is attached to it. The township comprises
1691 acres; the soil is clay, with a little sand. The
tithes of the township, with those of Bickley, Bulkeley,
and Larkton, have been commuted for £342 payable to
the impropriators, and £32. 8. to the rector of Malpas.
CHOLMONDSTONE, a township, in the parish of
Acton, union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of
the county of Chester, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Nantwich; containing 206 inhabitants. It comprises 1740
acres, of which the soil is clay.
CHOLSALL, a hamlet, in the parish of St. Helen,
union of Abingdon, hundred of Hormer, county of
Berks; containing 16 inhabitants.
Cholsey (St. Mary)
CHOLSEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
parliamentary borough of Wallingford, hundred of
Reading, though locally in the hundred of Moreton,
county of Berks, 3 miles (S. W.) from Wallingford;
containing 1191 inhabitants. This place was distinguished for its monastery, founded in 986, by Ethelred,
as an atonement for the murder of his brother, Edward
the Martyr, and which, together with the village, was
destroyed by the Danes in 1006. The manor belonged
to the abbots of Reading, who had a splendid seat here,
which was granted in 1555 to Sir Francis Englefield,
and afterwards conveyed by the crown to William
Knollys, Viscount Wallingford, subsequently created
Earl of Banbury: the great barn, which measured 301
feet in length, 54 feet in breadth, and 51 in height, was
taken down some years since, and four smaller ones
were erected in its place. The parish comprises 4118a.
3r. 8p., of which 2971 acres are arable, 533 meadow, 340
common, 130 down, and 143 wood; it is intersected by
the Great Western railway. The living is a vicarage,
with that of Moulsford united, valued in the king's books
at £18. 9. 9½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net
income, £375; impropriators, the family of Minshull.
The church contains some portions of Norman architecture.
CHOLSTREY, a township, in the parish and union
of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford; containing 160 inhabitants.
CHOPPINGTON, a township, in the parish and division of Bedlington, union of Morpeth, county of
Northumberland, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Morpeth;
containing 167 inhabitants. The township consists of
East and West Choppington, both situated on the way
side between Morpeth and the Stakeford, and of part of
the hamlet of Sheepwash, where is a bridge of four
arches over the Wansbeck, from which the prospect is
very beautiful. The whole estate comprises about 625
CHOPWELL, a township, in the parish of Ryton,
union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N.
division of the county of Durham, 11½ miles (W. S. W.)
from Gateshead; containing 320 inhabitants. It was
given by Bishop Hugh to the abbey of Newminster, and
at the Dissolution was held under that establishment by
the Swinburns, who are supposed to have received from
the crown a grant of the fee simple; it afterwards
belonged to the families of Constable, Clavering, and
Cowper, and now is the property of various owners.
The township contains some coal; and at Black-hall,
on the river Derwent, is a manufactory for German
steel, which is stated to have been first carried on by
some emigrants from Germany.
CHORLEY, a township, in the parish of Wilmslow,
union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the
county of Chester, 5¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from
Macclesfield; containing 561 inhabitants. This was a
seat of the Davenports from about the year 1400 until
1612, when it was purchased by the Downes family; and
in 1640 it came, also by purchase, to the Stanleys of
Alderley. The Hall was an ancient timber mansion,
within a moated site, but latterly became a farmhouse.
The township comprises 1242 acres, whereof 194 are
common land or waste; the soil is clay. The tithes have
been commuted for £169. 10.
CHORLEY, a township, in the parish of Wrenbury,
union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county
of Chester, 5¼ miles (W. by S.) from Nantwich; containing 183 inhabitants. The manor was possessed by the
Harcourt family in the reign of Edward II., when the
two coheiresses of Robert Harcourt married into the
Cholmondeley family. Isabel brought a moiety to Hugh
Cholmondeley, whose daughter and heiress married
Roger Bromley, of Basford; after continuing in the
Bromley family for several descents, it was purchased,
in 1561, by the Cholmondeleys of Cholmondeley, ancestors of the present Marquess of Cholmondeley. The
other moiety passed with Maud to the ancestor of the
Cholmondeleys of Chorley, and came to the marquess's
family by purchase, in the reign of Henry VI. The
township comprises 1288 acres, of which the soil is clayey.
The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship, and a
Sunday school. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £81, and the vicarial for £28. 17. 11., payable
to the incumbent of Acton.
Chorley (St. Lawrence)
CHORLEY (St. Lawrence), a market-town and
parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of
Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 32
miles (S. by E.) from Lancaster, and 208 (N. W. by N.)
from London; containing 13,139 inhabitants. The name
of this place is derived from its situation on the river
Chor, about a mile from its confluence with the Yarrow,
and from the Saxon word Ley, a field; or from the
family of Chorley, who were its ancient proprietors.
The chief lordships of Chorley were subsequently held
by the noble families of Ferrers and Lacy. A moiety of
the manor was at a still later period possessed by the
Sherburnes, and the other half by the Stanleys: the
Sherburne portion afterwards passed to the Welds of
Lulworth, who sold it about 1806 to Thomas Gillibrand,
Esq. of Chorley Hall, whose ancestor, in the 17th century,
had married into the Chorley family. On his death in
1829, the manor came in moieties to his widow and son.
In 1644 Prince Rupert passed through the town at the
head of a large army, on his march to York; and in
1648 Cromwell, after the battle of Ribblesdale, slept at
Astley Hall, in the parish: by this route, also, General
Carpenter, in 1715, advanced to Preston, nine miles distant, to meet the Scottish rebels, whom he defeated at
The town is pleasantly situated on the summit of a
hill, on the road from Bolton to Preston; and though in
Leland's time it is described as having "a wonderful
poore, or rather no market," it is now a large and thriving place, being indebted to the excellent coal-mines and
stone-quarries in the neighbourhood, and more recently
to its extended cotton manufacture, and the enterprising
spirit of its inhabitants, for a rapid rise into importance.
It was at first lighted with gas by Mr. Timothy Lightoller, from his private works, but is now lighted by a
public company; and is amply supplied with water, for
which purpose works were erected in 1823, and a new
company was incorporated in 1846, having a capital of
£15,000. The appearance of the town has of late been
very much improved; among other recent changes, the
unsightly thatched buildings which stood in the most
central part of one of the main thoroughfares, have been
taken down, and are succeeded by handsome and commodious shops. The environs abound with diversified
scenery, and the views, which are extensive, embrace
Rivington Pike, &c. The principal branch of manufacture is that of cotton, of which the chief articles made are
muslins and calicoes. There are at present eight mills,
whereof two, belonging to Messrs. James Wallwork and
Company, and one, the property of John Wilkinson,
Esq., employ 800 persons; two, the property of Messrs.
Richard Smethurst and Company, employ 560; two,
belonging to Messrs. Lightoller, 480; and one, belonging
to Richard Anyon, Esq., 150. There are also several
printing and bleaching works, a logwood-mill, a cornmill, and four iron-foundries; together with four collieries in operation. The Lancaster and the Leeds and
Liverpool canals unite to the south-west of Whittle-leWoods, and pass within a mile of the town; and there
is a station on the North-Union railway, which was
opened in June, 1843. A grant of a market and fairs
was obtained in the reign of Edward IV.: the market
is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on March 26th, May
5th, and August 20th, principally for cattle; and on
Sept. 4th, 5th, and 6th, for woollen-cloth, hardware, and
pedlery. The county magistrates hold a petty-session
every Tuesday; and the lord of the manor a court leet
once a year: the powers of the county debt-court of
Chorley, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Chorley. The town-hall, a stone building, under which the butter-market is held, was erected
in 1802, at the expense of the late John Hollinshead,
Esq.; and adjoining it is a small prison for the confinement of offenders prior to their committal to the county
The parish comprises 3571 acres, of which the soil is,
for the most part, a stiff loam. The surface rises into
hills in the eastern part, where the land is sterile; but
westward it is simply undulated, and productive: about
one-fourth is arable, and the remainder pasture and
wood. Among the seats is Gillibrand Hall, a fortresslike edifice, built in 1807 by Thomas Gillibrand, Esq.,
and the seat of his son, Henry Hawarden Fazakerley,
Esq., now lord of the manor, who assumed the latter
name some years since. Astley Hall, a venerable mansion built in 1600, is seated in a park on the north-west
margin of the Chor. Baganley Hall is a fine old house,
built in 1633; and Burgh Hall, a brick edifice, built in
1740, partaking much of the modern style of architecture, with pleasure-grounds and gardens attached.
About a mile from the town, and pleasantly situated on
the banks of the Yarrow, is Yarrow House, the seat of
Richard and George H. Lightoller, Esqrs.: South Cottage is occupied by Alexander Bannerman, Esq.; Willow House, by Thomas Cameron, Esq.; and Park Place
is the residence of Richard Smethurst, Esq.
Chorley was originally a chapelry in the parish of
Croston, from which it was separated in 1793, when that
extensive district was divided into three distinct parishes.
The living is a rectory, not in charge, with a net income of £1022; patron, the Rev. Streynsham Master,
A.M.: the tithes of the parish have been commuted for
£264. The church is an ancient structure, retaining
several features of Saxon character, of which the south
entrance is a fine specimen; it is castellated, pinnacled
at the east and west ends, and has a large tower supported by buttresses. The edifice formerly contained
some relics, said to have been the bones of its tutelar
saint, which were brought from Normandy by Sir Rowland Stanley, Knt., and presented to the parish by his
brother. St. George's church, standing in an open area,
on the east side of the town, was completed in October,
1825, at an expense of £13,707, defrayed by the Parliamentary Commissioners and by subscription; it is a
handsome and spacious structure in the later English
style, with a square embattled tower, and consists of a
nave, with north and south aisles, and a choir: attached
is a large burial-ground. The living is a perpetual
curacy, in the patronage of the Rector. There are
places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive
Methodists, Baptists, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics.
The Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Gregory,
was built in 1774, rebuilt in 1816, and aisles were added
in 1831; it stands on an eminence called Weldbank,
about a mile south-west of the town, and is in the
Romanesque style of architecture: adjoining is a house,
with 16 acres of ground, belonging to the priest, the Rev.
The grammar school was originally established by the
churchwardens, who, in 1634, built a school-house; it
has an endowment of £11 per annum, arising from subsequent benefactions: a new school-house was built in
1824. A large national school, and a school for Roman
Catholics, are supported by subscription; and there are
also infants' and Sunday schools in connexion with the
Established Church. An almshouse was built and endowed in 1682, by Hugh Cooper, for six aged persons:
Henry Banister, of Hackney, Middlesex, left £600 in
1625, for charitable purposes; and there are several
minor charities, and a dispensary instituted in 1828.
The poor law union of Chorley comprises 26 parishes
and townships, and contains a population of 38,836. At
Yarrow Bridge is an alkaline spring, on the property of
John Wilkinson, Esq.: its fame attracts numerous persons, and especially the poor, to drink the water, and
many instances of the benefit derived from its use, have
been authenticated; among others, a remarkable case of
dropsy. The water has been recently analyzed by an
eminent chemist in Leamington, who has confirmed a
previous analysis of the medicinal virtues peculiar to it.
Baths are open to the public at a moderate charge.
Chorley, Stafford.—See Charley.
CHORLEY, Stafford.—See Charley.