Coates - Cocking

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

647-654

Citation Show another format:

'Coates - Cocking', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 647-654. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50887 Date accessed: 23 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Coates (St. Matthew)

COATES (St. Matthew), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Cirencester; containing 373 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the high road from Stroudwater to London, and on the east by that from Cirencester to Bath. Stone of excellent quality is quarried for buildings, and for general purposes. The Thames and Severn canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8.; net income, £369; patron, Earl Bathurst. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, in 1792: the glebe contains 509 acres, chiefly arable, with an excellent glebe-house. At Trewsbury, in the parish, near the place where a castle formerly stood, the remains of which, with the intrenchments, may yet be seen, is a well, supposed to be the source of the Thames, and called the Thames Head.

Coates (St. Edith)

COATES (St. Edith), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 9½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Lincoln; containing 47 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 16. 8.; net income, £50; patron and impropriator, Sir J. Ramsden, Bart.

Coates

COATES, a parish, in the union of Sutton (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Bury, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Petworth; containing 67 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the Rother navigation, and comprises by measurement 346 acres; the surface is diversified, and from the higher grounds, especially from Coates Castle, the views are extensive. The living is consolidated with the rectory of Burton: the tithes have been commuted for £69. 12., and the glebe contains nearly 5 acres. The church is in the early English style.

Coates

COATES, a township, in the parish of Barnoldswick, union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Skipton; containing 101 inhabitants. The township is situated in a district abounding with limestone of good quality, and comprises by measurement 385 acres. The village, which is near the parochial church, is neatly built. Coates Hall, a large Elizabethan mansion, now neglected, was the residence of the Bagshaw family.

Coates, Great (St. Nicholas)

COATES, GREAT (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (W.) from Great Grimsby; containing 245 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 10., and in the gift of Sir R. Sutton, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £654. 5., and the glebe contains 76¼ acres, with a glebe-house.

Coates, Little (St. Michael)

COATES, LITTLE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Great Grimsby; containing 40 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 4., and in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge: the college receives a tithe rent-charge of £140, and the vicar one of £112.

Coates, North (St. Nicholas)

COATES, NORTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Louth, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 11 miles (N. N. E.) from Louth; containing 225 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2061 acres, of which 507 are common or waste: the Louth and Humber canal runs through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 10. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster: the tithes have been commuted for £470. 18.; and the glebe contains half an acre. The church, which has a tower, consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a chapel. There are some of those wells, usually called "Blow wells."

Coatham, East

COATHAM, EAST, a hamlet, in the parish of KirkLeatham, union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 6¾ miles (N. by W.) from Guisborough; containing, with West Coatham, 371 inhabitants. This is a small fishing village near the mouth of the Tees, formerly much resorted to for sea-bathing, but now eclipsed by the neighbouring town of Redcar: the sands in the neighbourhood are well adapted for the promenade or the carriage, and the prospect is often rendered pleasing from the number of trading-vessels sailing in the offing. A school is supported by an income of £47, arising principally from the revenues of Kirk-Leatham school.

Coatham-Mundeville

COATHAM-MUNDEVILLE, a township, in the parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, union of Darlington, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (N.) from Darlington, on the road to Durham; containing 138 inhabitants. The place takes its distinguishing name from the family of Amundeville, to whom it belonged in the first or second century after the Conquest. A chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene existed here at a very early period, and it is probable that it continued for several centuries, being mentioned so late as the year 1680, when, however, it seems to have been in ruins. The township comprises 1466 acres, of which 771 are arable, 668 grass land, 12 wood, and 15 road and waste. On the river Skerne is a manufactory for spinning flax and shoe-thread. The Stockton and Darlington railway passes through the township, on its way to the collieries and the Aucklands. The tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £95. 17., and there is a glebe of 16 acres.

Coathill

COATHILL, a township, in the parish of Wetheral, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S. E.) from Carlisle; containing 253 inhabitants, and comprising, with Cumwhinton, 2372 acres, of which 61 are common or waste. Here is a quarry of gypsum.

Coaton

COATON, a hamlet, in the parish of Ravensthorpe, union of Brixworth, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 9½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Northampton; containing 128 inhabitants, and comprising 703 acres. The surface is undulated, partially wooded, and well watered by a branch of the river Nene.

Coaton, Clay (St. Andrew)

COATON, CLAY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Rugby, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6¼ miles (E. by N.) from Rugby; containing 107 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 974 acres; the lands are chiefly a rich pasture, and the substratum is a blue clay. The village is situated on each side of a rivulet, which not unfrequently overflows its banks; and the parish is intersected by the Derby and Leicester canal. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Smith, whose tithes have been commuted for £275, and whose glebe comprises 74 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style.

Coatsamoor, or Coatsay-Moor

COATSAMOOR, or Coatsay-Moor, a township, in the parish of Heighington, union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Darlington; containing 19 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 510 acres: the road from Darlington to Auckland passes on the west, and on the east is the Stockton and Darlington railway.

Coat-Yards

COAT-YARDS, a township, in the chapelry of Nether Witton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, and N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Rothbury; containing 20 inhabitants. The families of Fenwick, Robinson, and Turner, have held lands here; the first-named appears to have possessed the place shortly after the Dissolution, when the crown obtained it from the abbey of Newminster. The township comprises by computation 235 acres, and is a bleak unsheltered plain, destitute of wood.

Cobham (St. Mary Magdalene)

COBHAM (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Shamwell, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Gravesend; containing 758 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 3000 acres, of which 1400 are arable, and 180 woodland; the surface is hilly, the soil in the greater portion a sandy loam, and in the remainder a light chalk and sand. The village stands upon an eminence, and is supplied with water from works constructed by the family of Cobham. It had formerly a weekly market on Monday, and a fair on St. Mary Magdalene's day, granted to John, Lord Cobham, in the 41st of Edward III.; the fair is held on the 2nd of August, but the market has been long disused. The living is a vicarage not in charge; net income, £94; patron, the Earl of Darnley; impropriator, T. Wells, Esq. The church is a handsome structure in the early and later English styles, with an embattled tower, and a north porch of elegant design: it contains a piscina in a richly canopied niche, and some very ancient monuments and brasses to the noble families of Cobham and Brooke. In 1362, John, Lord Cobham, made it collegiate, and, contiguous to the churchyard, erected a college, which he amply endowed for five chaplains, afterwards increased to eleven: at the suppression the college was valued at £128. 1. 2., and was confirmed by the crown to George, Lord Cobham, whose executors, in 1598, built upon the site the present college, and endowed it with the former possessions, for the maintenance of 20 persons. It is a neat quadrangular building of stone, comprising part of the ancient structure. The course of the Roman Watling-street is visible in the parish; and on a hill in Cobham Park is a splendid mausoleum, of the Doric order, erected by the late Earl of Darnley, at an expense of £15,000. The place confers the title of Baron on the Duke of Buckingham.

Cobham (St. Andrew)

COBHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Elmbridge, W. division of Surrey, 10 miles (N. E.) from Guildford, and 20 (S. W.) from London; containing 1617 inhabitants. It comprises 5193a. 1r. 37p., of which about 2460 acres are arable, 1217 meadow, and nearly 800 wood; and is bounded by the river Mole, which is crossed by a bridge on the road from Portsmouth to London. This river was anciently called the Emley, and gave name to the hundred, properly Emley-Bridge; it abounds with pike, trout, perch, and other fish, and its banks are adorned with several elegant villas. The village near the church is called Church-Cobham, and about half a mile from it, on the Portsmouth road, is StreetCobham, where is a post-office. A fair is held on the 11th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 11.; net income, £162; patrons, the family of Simpkinson: there are three acres of glebe. The church has a handsome Norman arch at the principal south entrance; its walls are built with gravel cemented into a hard mass, at least a yard in thickness, and cased with plaster: on taking down the north wall for the enlargement of the church, in 1826, its foundation was discovered to be scarcely, if at all, lower than the level of the floor inside. There is a saline chalybeate spring near the brook which separates the parish on the north from Esher; and a little to the west of Cobham is a barrow, near which a considerable number of Roman coins of the Lower Empire was ploughed up in 1772.

Coble-Dean

COBLE-DEAN, a hamlet, in the township of Chirton, parish, borough, and union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 1 mile (W.) from North Shields. It is situated on the north bank of the Tyne, and contains a steam flour-mill, a manufactory for whiting, and a raft-yard; steam tug-boats, also, are built here. An act was passed in 1846, for constructing docks and other works, to be called the Northumberland Docks.

Cobley, with Tutnal.—See Tutnal.

COBLEY, with Tutnal.—See Tutnal.

Cobridge

COBRIDGE, a village, partly in the parish of Burslem, and partly in that of Stoke-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Newcastle; the Burslem portion containing 1584 inhabitants. The ville of Rushton, which has been superseded by Cobridge, is described in Domesday book under the name of Risetone; it was given by Henry de Audley to Hulton Abbey, to which it became the grange, and since the Dissolution has been in the possession of the ancient family of Biddulph. Cobridge is in the Staffordshire Potteries, situated on an eminence, midway between Burslem and Hanley, and contains several manufactories and collieries. A neat district church, dedicated to Christ, has been erected by the rector of Burslem, aided by the Church Commissioners and the Diocesan Society; it is in the English style, with a tower, and affords accommodation to about 560 persons. The living is in the gift of the Rector. There are a chapel belonging to Roman Catholics, and a meeting-house for the New Connexion of Methodists. Schoolrooms were erected by subscription in 1766.

Cocken

COCKEN, a township, in the parish of Houghtonle-Spring, union of Chester-le-Street, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Durham; containing 65 inhabitants. Cocken was separated from the constablery of West Rainton, and made distinct in 1726. It is situated on the river Wear, and comprises by measurement 380 acres, of which 250 are arable, 120 meadow and pasture, and 10 waste: coal is obtained in the neighbourhood. The whole township is the property of William Standish Standish, Esq., of Duxbury Park, Lancashire. The manor-house, which is surrounded by beautiful scenery, became, at the commencement of the present century, the residence of a convent of nuns of the order of St. Theresa, who were driven by the revolutionists from their former settlement at Lier, in Flanders. After residing here for upwards of twenty years, they removed to Field House, near Darlington. Mrs. Standish has established a dame's school, at her own expense, within the grounds.

Cockerham (St. Michael)

COCKERHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the unions of Garstang and Lancaster, partly in the hundred of Amounderness, but chiefly in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the chapelry of Ellel, and part of the townships of Cleveley, Forton, and Holleth; the whole containing about 3500 inhabitants, of whom 847 are in the township of Cockerham, 7 miles (S.) from Lancaster. The name is compounded of coker, a quiver, and ham, a village. Soon after the Conquest the place was in the possession of the Lancasters, barons of Kendal; the abbot of St. Mary de Pratis established a cell or priory here, which existed in the 20th of Edward I., but it merged in the superior house long before the Dissolution. The manor afterwards passed into the family of Charteris, and was sold by Lord Wemyss, about 1798, to Messrs. Green, Atkinson, Dent, and Addison. The parish is bounded on the west by Morecambe bay, and comprises above 10,000 acres, mostly arable land, with an undulated surface. The river Cocker, the principal water in the district, issues from the hills above Ellel Chapel; runs by Galgate, Holleth, and Forton; and after verging first to the west, and then to the north, washes the township of Cockerham on the south. To the west of the village, the river passes under a well-built bridge, and widens into a spacious estuary, terminating near the mouth of the Lune, from which it is separated by a long and narrow neck of land, the site of the ruins, and of the extraparochial precincts, of Cockersand Abbey. The Wyre flows near the eastern borders of the parish, where it receives a small rill from Cleveley; and the Lancaster and Preston railway passes through. A market is mentioned among the customs of the manor in the reign of Edward III.: a fair is yet held; as are courts leet and baron. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 16. 8.; patrons, the Lords of the Manor: the tithes were commuted under a private act in 1827, for £600; the vicarage-house was rebuilt in 1843, in the Elizabethan style. The church was probably founded by the first William de Lancaster: the present edifice is a re-erection, in 1814, on the site of a building of the reign of James I. or Charles I.; it consists of a body, aisles, chancel, and tower, the last more ancient than the other parts, and castellated. There are chapels at Ellel, Dolphinholme, and Shirehead, forming separate incumbencies. A school is supported by subscription, aided by £12 per annum from lands.

Cockerington (St. Leonard)

COCKERINGTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Louth; containing 246 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2000 acres, and contains Cockerington Hall, the seat of William Scrope, Esq., a neat mansion in grounds tastefully laid out. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 5½.; net income, £163; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The greater portion of the tithes were commuted for land in 1765, and by the recent act a commutation has been made of the remainder for a rent-charge of £17; the glebe consists of 160 acres. The church is a plain edifice with a tower, and contains the mausoleum of Sir Adrian Scrope, ancestor of the present family of that name. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An almshouse for six widows was founded and endowed with £20 per annum, by Sir A. Scrope.

Cockerington (St. Mary)

COCKERINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N. E.) from Louth; containing 227 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 1000 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Alvingham: the Bishop of Lincoln holds about 300 acres of land in the parish, allotted in lieu of tithes in 1765. The church, rebuilt in 1841, is situated in the same churchyard as that of Alvingham, and was formerly the chapel to the abbey of that place.

Cockermouth (All Saints)

COCKERMOUTH (All Saints), an unincorporated borough, market-town, and parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Brigham, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 25 miles (S. W.) from Carlisle, and 305 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 4940 inhabitants. The name is derived from the situation of the place at the mouth of the river Cocker, which here unites with the Derwent. The town was taken by surprise, in 1387, by an army of Scottish borderers, who remained here three days. Mary, Queen of Scots, after her escape from the castle of Dunbar, rested some time at Cockermouth, on her way from Workington to Carlisle, and was also hospitably entertained at Hutton Hall, then belonging to the Fletchers. During the civil war of the 17th century, the castle was besieged in August, 1648, by a body of 500 Cumberland royalists, but was relieved on September 29th by Lieut.-Col. Ashton, whom Cromwell had despatched from Lancashire for the purpose. The castle, formerly the baronial seat of the lords of Allerdale, stands on the edge of a precipitous eminence, on the northern side of the town, opposite the confluence of the two rivers. It was originally of great strength and extent, and is supposed to have been erected by Waldeof, soon after the Conquest, although the remains are not apparently of earlier date than the fourteenth century, and to have been constructed with the materials of an older castle, named Papcastle, a Roman fortress, about a mile and a half distant, on the other side of the Derwent, and the former residence of Waldeof. The only perfect and habitable parts are, the gate-house, with two rooms adjoining, and the court-house at the eastern angle of the area. Underneath the ruins of the great tower is a spacious vault, thirty feet square, the roof of which is groined, and supported by an octagonal central pillar, with pilasters at the angles and sides; this vault, from being called Mary Kirk, is supposed to have been the chapel, dedicated to St. Mary. On each side of the gateway is a dungeon, capable of containing 50 prisoners, the entrance to which was probably through a small aperture, visible in the corner of the arch.

The town is situated in a narrow valley, amid scenery richly diversified with hill and dale, wood and water. The Derwent flows on the northern side of it, and is crossed by a handsome stone bridge of two arches, connecting the town with the hamlet of Goat, measuring 270 feet in length, and completed in 1822 at an expense to the county of £3000. On the margin of this river is an agreeable promenade, about a mile long, terminated at one extremity by lofty well-wooded cliffs, and at the other by the ruins of the castle, and the elevated bowling-green. The river Cocker divides the town into two parts, and is crossed by a bridge of one arch, formerly very narrow, but rebuilt on a wider and improved plan in 1828, at a cost of £2600. The streets have been lighted, but, with the exception of the High-street, which is broad and handsome, are only indifferently paved: there is an ample supply of water from the Derwent and Cocker, from some other streams that flow through the town, and from pumps attached to most of the dwellings. The houses are in general built of stone, roofed with blue slate, and of respectable appearance. Considerable improvement has lately been effected, particularly in the market-place, above the bridge over the Cocker. There is a small subscription library; also a parochial library over the grammar school, founded by Dr. Bray and his associates, and containing upwards of 500 volumes, to which Dr. Keene, Bishop of Chester, was a great benefactor.

Cockermouth is a place of considerable trading importance, enjoying, within a very limited distance, the advantage of three sea-ports. A great trade is carried on in cotton, linen, and woollen articles, for which there are some extensive manufactories; also in the tanning and dressing of leather, and the manufacture of hats, stockings, paper, &c.; and in the vicinity are coal-mines. The moor, containing about 1200 acres, was inclosed and divided under an act obtained in 1813. A railway was lately completed from this place to Workington, 8¾ miles in length; and an act was passed in 1846 for a railway hence to Keswick. The market is on Monday, when a considerable quantity of grain is pitched in the market-place, and on Saturday is a market for provisions, &c. Fairs for cattle are held on every alternate Wednesday from the beginning of May till the end of September; and there is a great fair for horses and horned-cattle on the 10th of October; also two great fairs, or statutes, for hiring servants, on the Mondays at Whitsuntide and Martinmas. The town has no separate jurisdiction: the chief officer is a bailiff, who is chosen at Michaelmas, at the court leet for the manor, from among the burghers, by a jury of burghers appointed for regulating the affairs of the town; he acts as clerk of the market, but exercises no magisterial functions, and has no local authority. In the 23rd of Edward I. the borough returned members to parliament, but from that date till the 16th of Charles I. the elective franchise was suspended; it was then restored by a resolution of the house of commons, and from that period has been exercised without intermission. The right of voting for the two members was formerly vested in the burgage tenants, about 300 in number; but, by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45, was extended to the £10 householders of an enlarged district, which for elective purposes was substituted for the ancient borough: the old borough comprised 3000 acres, and the boundaries of the new contain 9500: the bailiff is returning officer. The county magistrates exercise jurisdiction within the borough, and hold a petty-session every Monday. The steward of the manor holds a court every three weeks, for the recovery of debts under 40s., and a court leet at Michaelmas and Easter; and aided by commissioners appointed for the government of the several manors within the honour, he also holds, at Christmas, a court of dimissions in the castle. The powers of the county debt-court of Cockermouth, established in 1847, extend over the greater part of the registration-district of Cockermouth. The Epiphany quarter-session for the county is held here in January; and this is the principal place of election for the eastern division of the county. The Moot-hall, an old dilapidated structure inconveniently situated in the market-place, has been rebuilt in a commodious manner, and on a more eligible site. There is a small house of correction in St. Helen's street.

The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £132; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The tithes of the chapelry were commuted for land in 1813, and under the recent act for a rent-charge of £150; the glebe contains 5 acres. The old church or chapel, erected in the reign of Edward III., was taken down, with the exception of the tower, and the present edifice of freestone built by means of a brief, in 1711, and dedicated to All Saints; it was enlarged in 1825. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. A free grammar school was founded in 1676, by Lord Wharton, Sir Richard Graham, and others, the income being £24 per annum. Other schools are supported by subscription, and the poor have the produce of several benefactions. The union of Cockermouth comprises forty-seven parishes or places, and contains a population of 35,676. The hills on each side of the Derwent are interesting to the naturalist, consisting of calcareous stone, almost entirely composed of shells of the genus ammoniæ. On the north side of the town is a tumulus, called Toot-hill; and one mile westward are the rampart and ditch of a fort or encampment, triangular in form, and nearly 750 feet in circumference. William Wordsworth, the eminent poet and laureate, was born here in 1770.

Cockersand-Abbey

COCKERSAND-ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (S. W. by S.) from Lancaster. The earliest notice connected with the celebrated abbey of Cockersand, appears to be in the charter of William de Lancaster, who granted to Hugh, a hermit, certain lands and his fishery upon the Lune, to maintain an hospital. This was followed by other grants; and Theobald Walter, among other donors, gave to the hospital the moss of Pilling. A grant was subsequently obtained from the abbey at Leicester, and in 1190 Pope Clement III. elevated the house into a monastery, as the abbey of St. Mary, of the Præmonstratensian order, of Cockersand. The numerous grants which followed extended its possessions very widely, and in point of revenue it ranked the third among the religious houses of Lancashire; yet in a petition, 2nd Richard II., for a confirmation of their charters, the monks style themselves "the king's poor chaplains," and "pray for a consideration of their poverty, and that they are daily exposed to the perils of drowning and destruction by the sea." On the Dissolution the site was leased by the crown, and afterwards became possessed by various families, among whom, in the reign of Philip and Mary, were the Daltons, to which family it continues to belong. The ruins of the abbey stand on a neck of land which projects into the sea on the sands of Cocker. Originally the buildings covered nearly an acre of land, but the octagonal chapter-house, 30 feet in diameter, used for the burial-place of the Daltons, alone remains; and the windows of even this small portion no longer retain their glass: a finely clustered column in the centre of the interior supports moulded arches resting upon smaller columns of the angles. The area of the ruins is strewed with parts of walls, massive stones, and obliterated ornaments. The site is a rock of red friable freestone, which might once have fortified it against the encroachments of the sea, but which is now often beaten against by the fury of the tides, and the bones of the cemetery washed away.

Cockerton

COCKERTON, a township, in the parish and union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1¼ mile (N. W. by N.) from Darlington; containing 482 inhabitants. The soil, which is loamy, is in general good. The village is neatly built; its inhabitants were formerly employed in the linen manufacture, but the trade has been removed to Barnsley. Divine service is performed every Wednesday, by permission of the bishop, in the national schoolroom, built in 1825; and there is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A gold coin, and several copper coins, were found in a large stone jar, in the beck, in 1836.

Cockey-Moor.—See Ainsworth.

COCKEY-MOOR.—See Ainsworth.

Cockfield

COCKFIELD, a parish in the union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 12 miles (N. W. by W.) from Darlington; containing, with the township of Woodland, 944 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4416a. 20p., whereof 400 acres form a common of uninclosed land; the soil is clay, with a substratum of freestone of a most excellent and durable quality, the ancient church of Darlington, which was built with it, being still in high preservation. The great basaltic dyke, bisecting a dyke of earlier formation, runs through the parish; and there is coal, the mines of which, though they have been wrought for nearly five centuries, are even now slightly productive. An extension of the Stockton and Darlington railway, from St. Helen's station to Cockfield, is of great convenience for the transport of produce. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Staindrop, lately annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 18., and in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland: the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £220, and the glebe consists of 16 acres, with a house. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On Cockfield Fell are traces of ancient intrenchments. This was the birthplace of the ingenious Jeremiah and George Dixon, of whom the former, more particularly, was employed in scientific investigations of importance.

Cockfield (St. Peter)

COCKFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Cosford, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Lavenham; containing 951 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge; net income, £635. The church has a large and handsome tower.

Cockhill, Somerset.—See Castle-Cary.

COCKHILL, Somerset.—See Castle-Cary.

Cocking

COCKING, a parish, in the union of Midhurst, hundred of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 2½ miles (S.) from Midhurst; containing 464 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London through Midhurst, to Chichester, and comprises 2267 acres, including a portion of the Downs. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chichester. The church is in the early English style, with some later additions.