Corton (St. Bartholomew)
CORTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N.) from Lowestoft; containing 442 inhabitants. This parish, which
comprises 1149a. 1r. 39p., is situated on the coast of
the North Sea, and has doubtless participated in the
devastation occasioned by the encroachment of the waves
upon the land, by which the adjoining parish of Newton
has been almost destroyed. From the remains of a
church still visible at a place called the Gate, and the
ruins and old foundations of houses in other parts, the
village of Corton is presumed to have been much more
extensive than at present, and probably the resort of
fishermen, when the mouth of Yarmouth harbour reached
nearly to this place. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Crown; impropriators, the
heirs of Thomas Fowler, Esq.: the great tithes have
been commuted for £242, and the vicarial for £120.
The church is partly in ruins, the porch and the walls
of the nave being nearly overspread with ivy; but
divine service is still performed in the chancel: from its
beautiful tower, which is yet perfect, and serves as a
landmark for mariners, and from its extensive ruins,
there is reason to presume that it was a structure of
much magnificence. Coins, fossils, &c., have been found
within the base of the cliff, which borders on the sea, on
its being undermined by the tide; and a stratum of oak,
several feet thick, and extending in length more than
200 yards, was exposed to the view, after a severe storm,
in 1812. About the same time, a part of the pelvis, or
haunch bones, of the mammoth, together with other
antediluvian remains, was found half a mile northward
of the place.
CORTON, a township, in the parish of Boyton,
union of Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.)
from Heytesbury; containing 205 inhabitants.
Corton-Denham (St. Andrew)
CORTON-DENHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in
the union of Wincanton, hundred of Horethorne,
E. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N.) from Sherborne;
containing 480 inhabitants. The parish is romantically
situated in a valley at the foot of a range of hills,
whose highest point is Beacon Hill, or Corton-Ash
Beacon, which rises 655 feet above the level of the sea.
Nearly the whole of the lands have been held by the
ancestors of Lord Portman since about the year 1600.
Large quantities of marl of rich quality are obtained,
which are used as a good top dressing on high lands;
and at the sides of the hill is an immense mass of
building-stone, but the great labour required to work it
to a fine surface, on account of its veins of iron, renders it useless. There is a manufactory for dowlas.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£13. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Lord Portman: the tithes
have been commuted for £366, and the glebe comprises
32½ acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a neat
structure; the body is supposed to have been built in
1541, and the tower, from a date over the entrance door,
in 1685. Some workmen, in 1723, discovered a Roman
urn in the vicinity, containing coins in good preservation, of the emperors from Valerian and Gallienus to
Probus; and there are traces of extensive fortifications
about half way under the hill, which are thought to have
been connected with South Cadbury Castle, about two
Coryton (St. Andrew)
CORYTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Tavistock, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions
of Devon, 6¼ miles (N. by W.) from Tavistock; containing 374 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £8. 13. 9.; net income, £208;
patron, Sir Robert Newman, Bart.
Cosby (St. Michael)
COSBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Blaby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the
county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Leicester;
containing, with part of the hamlet of Little Thorpe,
1013 inhabitants. It comprises 2000 acres, consisting
of arable and pasture land in about equal portions: the
manufacture of stockings is carried on. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£4. 15.; net income, £138, arising from land allotted
under an inclosure act, in 1767, in lieu of tithes; patron,
J. Pares, Esq.; impropriators, W. Hubbard, Esq., and
COSCOMB, a hamlet, in the parish of Didbrook,
union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred
of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester;
containing 18 inhabitants.
COSELEY, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of
Sedgley, union of Dudley, N. division of the hundred
of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford;
comprising the villages of Coseley and Brierley, with
part of the village of Ettingshall, and containing 5683
inhabitants. This place is situated in the heart of a district abounding with mines of coal and ironstone; and
the inhabitants are principally employed in the various
branches of the iron-trade and other works in the neighbourhood, and in the manufacture of nails and screws,
which is carried on to a great extent. A new branch of
the Birmingham canal has been cut from Wolverhampton, passing through the district. The church, dedicated to Our Blessed Saviour, was erected in 1829, at
an expense of £10,537, by grant of the Parliamentary
Commissioners, and is a spacious building in the later
English style, with a square embattled tower. The
living is a district incumbency, in the patronage of Lord
Ward; net income, £138, with a parsonage. There are
places of worship for Particular and General Baptists,
Wesleyans, and Unitarians. A Unitarian school, built
in 1753, is endowed with £31 per annum; and there
are some national schools, erected in 1833, at an expense
COSFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Newboldupon-Avon, union of Rugby, Rugby division of the
hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of
Warwick, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Rugby; containing
82 inhabitants. A part of the lands here belonged to
the monks of Pipewell, and Edward VI. in 1553 granted
them to John Green of Westminster, and Ralph Hall of
London; they afterwards came to Elizabeth and Thomas
Wightman, and from the last passed to Sir Thomas
Leigh, Knt. The hamlet lies on the west side of the
river Swift; and the Midland railway passes close by
Cosgrove (St. Peter)
COSGROVE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Potterspury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the
county of Northampton, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from StonyStratford; containing 701 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the border of Buckinghamshire, the Buckingham canal passing on its southern side and there
joining the Grand Junction canal, which enters the
county here by crossing the Ouse near the confluence
of the Tow with that river. It consists of 1559a. 1r.
33p., and the road from Northampton to Stony-Stratford intersects it from north to south. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 11. 3., and
in the patronage of Mrs. Mansell; net income, £363.
In digging for the Grand Junction canal, some skeletons
were found here; also an earthen pot containing Roman
coins, chiefly of the later emperors. There is a mineral
Cosmus, St., and Damian-in-the-Blean (St. Cosmus and St. Damian)
COSMUS, ST., and DAMIAN-in-the-Blean (St.
Cosmus and St. Damian), a parish, and the head of the
union of Blean, in the hundred of Whitstable, lathe
of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 1½ mile (N. W.
by N.) from Canterbury; containing 606 inhabitants.
This parish, which includes some lands belonging to the
Master of Eastbridge Hospital, and others held under
the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, all tithe-free, is
intersected by the Canterbury and Whitstable railroad,
and comprises 2260a. 1r. 15p., of which 704 acres are
arable, 347 pasture, 657 wood, and 26 in hop-grounds.
The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial
tithes, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the
patronage of the Master of the Hospital: the tithes
have been commuted for £537, and the glebe consists of
3 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
The union of Blean comprises 16 parishes or places, and
contains a population of 13,745.
Cossal (St. Catherine)
COSSAL (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of
Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N.
division of the county of Nottingham, 6½ miles (W. N.
W.) from Nottingham; containing 334 inhabitants. The
Nottingham canal proceeds through the parish northward, in a serpentine direction; and the river Erewash
runs on the west side, separating it from Derbyshire.
The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory
of Wollaton. In the village is an hospital, founded by
the ancient family of Willoughby, for four old men and
Cossey, or Costessey (St. Edmund)
COSSEY, or Costessey (St. Edmund), a parish, in
the incorporation and hundred of Forehoe, E. division
of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Norwich; containing 1074 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the
north by the river Wensum, and comprises 3040 acres,
of which 1500 are arable, 640 meadow and pasture, 550
woodland, and the remainder common and waste. Cossey Hall, the seat of Lord Stafford, lord of the manor, is
a spacious quadrangular mansion, erected by Sir Henry
Jerningham, Bart., and contains many stately apartments; it is situated in a well-wooded park; and contiguous to the house is the family chapel, dedicated to
St. Augustine, and richly embellished with stained glass.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich: the tithes have
been commuted for £337, and the glebe comprises 60
acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later
English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted
by a spire. There are a place of worship for Baptists;
and a Roman Catholic chapel in the early English style,
erected in 1841.
Cossington (All Saints)
COSSINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of East Goscote, N.
division of the county of Leicester, 2 miles (S. E. by E.)
from Mountsorrel; containing 310 inhabitants. It is
bounded by the rivers Soar and Wreake, and comprises
by computation 1500 acres, about two-thirds of which
are arable, and the rest pasture, with the exception of
20 acres of woodland. The soil, though various, is fertile and productive; the surface is generally elevated,
but in some parts flat, and subject to inundation from
the rivers. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £17. 7. 6.; net income, £448; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. J. Babington. Near the Wreake is
a large oblong tumulus, 350 feet long, 120 broad, and
40 high, called Shipley Hill.
Cossington (St. Mary)
COSSINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Bridgwater, hundred of Whitley, W. division of
Somerset, 4¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Bridgwater;
containing 248 inhabitants. The village is one of the
neatest in the county, the cottages being fitted up in a
tasteful style, and the gardens ornamentally laid out.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£13. 10.; net income, £254; patron and incumbent, the
Rev. J. S. Broderip.
Costock, or Cortlingstock (St. Giles)
COSTOCK, or Cortlingstock (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Loughborough, S. division of
the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the county of
Nottingham, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Loughborough;
containing 470 inhabitants. This parish is situated on
the road between Nottingham and Leicester, and watered
by a brook which divides it into two parts: it comprises
by computation 1500 acres, of which about one-third is
wold, and the remainder in nearly equal portions arable
and pasture land. Limestone is quarried for the uses of
agriculture and building, and for the repair of roads.
About thirty persons are employed in stocking-making,
and a few women in spotting and running lace. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 4.;
net income, £395; patron, the Rev. Dr. Sutton. The
tithes were partly commuted for land in 1760, about 450
acres still remaining subject to tithe; there is a good
glebe-house, with about 200 acres of land. The church,
which is supposed to have been built about the year
1300, appears to have lost much of its ancient beauty,
having been probably desecrated during the troubles of
the seventeenth century; it is now a plain edifice, the
principal ornament of which is the window in the chancel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Coston (St. Andrew)
COSTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division
of the county of Leicester, 3½ miles (S. E.) from
Waltham; containing 147 inhabitants, and comprising
by computation 1800 acres. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £16. 6. 3., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £360. The church
is a handsome structure, in the early and decorated English styles, with a tower surmounted by a spire, in the
later English style.
Coston (St. Michael)
COSTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk,
4½ miles (N. W.) from Wymondham; containing 48
inhabitants. It comprises 345 acres, of which 243 are
arable, 90 meadow and pasture, and 9 woodland. The
living is a rectory, annexed to the archdeaconry of Norfolk: the tithes have been commuted for £93, and the
glebe comprises about 8 acres. The church is in the
early English style, with a square embattled tower.
Coston-Hacket, or Cofton (St. Michael)
COSTON-HACKET, or Cofton (St. Michael), a
parish, in the union of Bromsgrove, Upper division of
the hundred of Halfshire, Northfield and E. divisions
of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (N. E.) from
Bromsgrove, and 7 (S. W.) from Birmingham; containing 211 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1251a. 3r.
19p. of land, of which 600 acres are arable, 460 pasture,
170 woodland, and 21 water. Part of it extends over
the range of hills called Bromsgrove Lickey, commanding
extensive views of the surrounding counties, and in several places it is ornamented with large quantities of oak
and fir. The population is chiefly employed in agriculture. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes
through. The living is annexed to the rectory of Northfield: the tithes have been commuted for £244, and the
glebe consists of 56 acres. The church is a small edifice
with a bell gable, having some decorated portions in the
later English style. There is an excellent Sunday
school in connexion with it. On three succeeding
Sundays after Midsummer, a wake is kept, called Bilberry wake, from a fruit which grows very luxuriantly
on Cofton hill. Partly here, and partly in the parish of
King's-Norton, is Groveley, the residence, beautifully
situated, of John Merry, Esq. Charles I. slept at
Cofton Hall, now a farmhouse, on the 14th of May,
1645, the day when Hawksley House was taken.
COTCLIFF, an extra-parochial district, locally in the
parish of Leake, union of Northallerton, wapentake
of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 4 miles (E. by S.)
from Northallerton; containing 15 inhabitants. It is
situated on the east bank of the small river Coldbeck,
and consists of an extensive acclivity, terminating in a
boldly rising cliff, which is well wooded: the Bishop of
Ripon is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.
COTE, a tything, in the parish of Olveston, union
of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of
Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of
Gloucester; containing 17 inhabitants.
Cote, county Oxford.—See Aston.
COTE, county Oxford.—See Aston.
COTES, a hamlet, in the parish of Prestwold,
union of Loughborough, hundred of East Goscote,
N. division of the county of Leicester, 1½ mile (N. E.
by E.) from Loughborough; containing 75 inhabitants.
COTES, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall,
union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 4½ miles (N. by
E.) from Eccleshall; containing 328 inhabitants. This
place is situated on the road from Newcastle to Eccleshall, and on the railway from Liverpool to Birmingham.
The living of the district church of St. James, CotesHeath, is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron,
the Vicar of Eccleshall: there is a parsonage-house. A
national school has a small endowment.
COTES-DE-VAL, a hamlet, in the parish of Kimcote, union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3½ miles
(E. N. E.) from Lutterworth; containing 6 inhabitants.
Cotgrave (All Saints)
COTGRAVE (All Saints), a parish, in the union,
and S. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division
of the county of Nottingham, 6 miles (S. E. by E.)
from Nottingham; containing, with the hamlet of Stragglethorpe, 850 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3500a.
2r. 35p., exclusively of 102 acres of roads; a portion
called the Wold, formerly an uncultivated tract, has
been converted into rich arable land. The greater part
of the surface is flat; the soil is partly a tenacious clay
and partly a rich loam, and the high grounds on each
side of the village abound in blue marl, intermixed with
layers of red clay. Limestone of the blue lias formation is abundant, and is quarried for building and the
roads, and for burning into lime; gypsum is also found.
The Nottingham and Grantham canal intersects the
parish. The "Court of St. John of Hierusalem," which
was anciently held at Shelford, under the prior of St.
John of Jerusalem, and then styled the "Master and
Lieutenant's Court of Shelford," is held here, and has a
common seal: its jurisdiction extends over various
parishes, for which all wills are proved in this court,
and to the tenants of which charters of exemption from
toll throughout the king's dominions are granted. The
living is a rectory, consisting of two consolidated
medieties, the first valued in the king's books at
£10. 7. 3½., and the second at £9. 14. 9½.; net income, £628; patron, Earl Manvers. The tithes were
commuted for land and a money payment in 1790; the
glebe altogether consists of 555 acres, with a glebehouse. The church is a handsome structure in the
later English style, with a square embattled tower
crowned with pinnacles, and surmounted by a lofty
octangular spire; the nave is parted from the aisles
by slender clustered columns, and lighted by an elegant range of clerestory windows. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
Cotham (St. Michael)
COTHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, and
S. division of the wapentake, of Newark, S. division of
the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S.) from Newark;
containing 87 inhabitants. It comprises 1210 acres of
land, and has a small village on the east bank of the
Devon. The knightly families of Leek and Markham
had long their seat here. The living is a donative,
valued in the king's books at £7. 18.; net income,
£35; patron, the Duke of Portland. The church was
partly rebuilt in 1831, when a porch was added.