Cumberworth (St. Helen)
CUMBERWORTH (St. Helen), a parish, in the
union of Spilsby, Marsh division of the hundred of
Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
4¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Alford; containing 183 inhabitants, and comprising 1228a. 31p. The living is a
discharged rectory, united in 1733 to the rectory of Anderby, and valued in the king's books at £10. 10. 2½.
The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, in 1819; the glebe comprises 215 acres. The
church was rebuilt at the expense of the incumbent, the
Rev. John Lodge, and opened for divine service in 1839;
it is a handsome structure in the decorated English
style. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
CUMBERWORTH, a chapelry, partly in the parish
of High Hoyland, and partly in that of Silkstone,
wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 8 miles
(W.) from Barnsley; containing 1867 inhabitants. This
chapelry, which is divided into Upper and Lower, comprises 2360 acres, principally the property of T. Wentworth Beaumont, Esq.: the population is chiefly agricultural, but partly employed in the woollen and fancy
manufactures. The villages of Upper and Lower Cumberworth are both of considerable antiquity, and in the
former is the chapel of St. Nicholas, an ancient building
situated on a high hill. The living is a donative, in the
patronage of Mr. Beaumont. The tithes, which were
commuted for 40 acres of land in 1800, at the inclosure
of the commons, originally belonged to the ancestors of
the patron, the Wentworths of Bretton Park, who were
lords of the manor, and obtained a grant of the donative
in consideration of their endowing the living with the
tithes of the township. They afterwards augmented the
benefice by inclosing 34 acres of land from the waste.
CUMBERWORTH-HALF, a township, partly in the
parish of Emley, Lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, and partly in the parish of Kirk-Burton, union
of Huddersfield, Upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, W. riding of York; containing 1480 inhabitants.
The township includes part of the hamlets of Skelmanthorpe and Scissett, and comprises 800 acres.
CUMDEVOCK, a township, in the parish of Dalston, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, and E.
division of the county of Cumberland, 6 miles (S. S. W.)
from Carlisle; containing 361 inhabitants.
CUMMERSDALE, a township, in the parish of St.
Mary, liberty and union of Carlisle, E. division of
Cumberland, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Carlisle; containing 620 inhabitants.
Cumner (St. Michael)
CUMNER (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Abingdon, hundred of Hormer, county of Berks;
comprising the tythings of Bradley, Chawley, Henwood,
Hillend, Stroud, Swinford, and Whitley, the liberty of
Chilswell, and the township of Cumner; and containing
1058 inhabitants, of whom 608 are in the township, 5¼
miles (N. N. W.) from Abingdon. This was one of the
appendages to the abbey of Abingdon, whose abbots had
a residence here called Cumner Hall, now in ruins,
which is noted as the place of the murder of the Countess
of Leicester by the direction of her husband, the favourite of Queen Elizabeth: many of the scenes of Sir
Walter Scott's Kenilworth are connected with the locality.
The parish comprises 6637a. 2r. 38p.; the surface is
very elevated, and the greater portion consists of the
hills of Cumner and Wytham, rising nearly 300 feet
above the level of the river Thames, which bounds the
parish for nearly three miles. The soil is various; in
some parts clayey, in others sandy, alternated with stone
brash. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £24. 17., and in the gift of the Earl
of Abingdon: the tithes were commuted for land and
money payments, in 1795 and 1814. The church is an
ancient structure, containing some interesting monuments, among which are those of two abbots of Abingdon, and a monument to Anthony Foster, a retainer of
the Earl of Leicester's, by whom the countess was
murdered. A mineral spring here was formerly much
frequented for its reputed virtues, but is now disused.
CUMREW, a parish, in the union of Brampton,
Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles
(S. by E.) from Brampton; comprising the townships
of Cumrew Inside and Outside, the former containing
112, and the latter 71, inhabitants. The parish is
bounded on the east by the river Gelt, and comprises 2694a. 2r. 10p., of which about 950 acres are
arable, and the rest, with the exception of 30 acres of
wood, high moorland pasture inclosed about 35 years
ago. The soil on the level grounds is a good loamy
earth; and in the western district, which is mountainous, there is good limestone. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £81; patrons and appropriators,
the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The tithes have been
commuted for £89. 13. 4., and the glebe comprises 17½
acres. There are several cairns, one of which, Carduneth, on the summit of a hill, is of immense size; and
near the river are the ruins of a large castle formerly
belonging to the Dacres.
CUMWHINTON, a township, in the parish of
Wetheral, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward,
E. division of the county of Cumberland, 4 miles (S. E.
by E.) from Carlisle; containing 339 inhabitants. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Cumwhitton (St. Mary)
CUMWHITTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Cumwhitton,
Moorthwaite, and Northsceugh; and containing 533 inhabitants, of whom 242 are in the township of Cumwhitton, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Carlisle. The parish
comprises 5400a. 2r. 29p., the whole of which is arable,
with the exception of about 140 acres of meadow, the
ground occupied by a few Scottish firs and larches, and
the plantations on the banks of the Eden. The living
is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patrons, the
Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is in the
Norman style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north
aisle; a tower was built in 1810, and the ancient lancet
windows have been displaced for others of larger dimensions. On an eminence called "King Harry" is a Druidical temple, the stones of which, 90 in number, are
placed in a circular position; and the lines of intrenchments may be traced on the common.
Cundall (St. Mary and All Saints)
CUNDALL (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish,
comprising the townships of Cundall with Leckby, and
Norton-le-Clay, in the wapentake of Hallikeld, and
the township of Fawdington in that of Birdforth, N.
riding of York; and containing 387 inhabitants, of
whom 188 are in Cundall with Leckby, 5 miles (N. N. E.)
from Boroughbridge. The parish is on the banks of the
river Swale, and comprises by computation 3480 acres,
of which about 2120 are in Cundall with Leckby: the
soil is gravelly; the scenery is pleasingly diversified with
wood and water. The hamlet of Cundall is on the
western side of the river, and about 5 miles distant from
the Sessay station of the York and Newcastle railway.
The hamlet of Leckby is about a mile north from Cundall. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £3. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of
Ripon, with a net income recently augmented to £96:
the church is an old and dilapidated building, fast falling
into ruins. A small chapel of ease was erected in 1839,
CUNSALL, a township, in the parish of Cheddleton, union of Cheadle, N. division of the hundred of
Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 3¾ miles
(N. N. W.) from Cheadle; containing 190 inhabitants.
It contains 2122 acres, and has a small village. At
Cunsall Wood the Caldon canal passes through a deep
glen, in which are extensive limekilns.
CURBAR, a township, in the parish and union of
Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the
county of Derby, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from Stoney-Middleton; containing 412 inhabitants. It is situated on
the eastern bank of the river Derwent.
Curborough, with Elmhurst
CURBOROUGH, with Elmhurst, a township, in
the parish of St. Chad, Lichfield, union of Lichfield,
N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county
of Stafford; containing 227 inhabitants. The two
hamlets extend from one to two miles from Lichfield,
and form a township of scattered houses, comprising
about 2000 acres, of which 860 are in Elmhurst. Near
Stitchbrook, in the township, is Christian Field, where
tradition says 1000 British Christians were massacred.
CURBRIDGE, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford,
2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Witney; containing 387 inhabitants. It comprises 2907 acres, of which 1941
are arable and 955 pasture. The tithes have been commuted for £685, and there is a glebe of 124½ acres.
Six almshouses situated here are endowed with £110
CURDRIDGE, a tything, in the parish and hundred
of Bishop's-Waltham, union of Droxford, Droxford
and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 397 inhabitants. A separate incumbency has
been founded here, in the gift of the Rector.
Curdworth (St. Nicholas)
CURDWORTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the
union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of
Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick,
8 miles (N. E. by E.) from Birmingham; containing 693
inhabitants. This parish, which includes the hamlet of
Minworth, is bounded on the south by the river Tame,
and intersected by the road from Birmingham to Tamworth, and the old road from Coventry to Lichfield. It
comprises by computation 3170 acres, of which 1620 are
in the township of Curdworth, and 1550 in Minworth,
into which districts the parish is divided by a portion of
Sutton-Coldfield intervening between them. The surface is generally level, and the soil chiefly suited to the
growth of turnips and barley; around the village and
towards the river are rich meadow and pasture grounds.
The Birmingham and Fazeley canal passes through the
parish, and the Birmingham and Derby railway proceeds
for about half a mile through Minworth. The living is
a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5, and in the
patronage of the Rev. W. Wakefield, the present incumbent, and others; net income, £289; impropriators, the
Rev. W. Wakefield, and C. B. Adderley, Esq. The tithes
(with the exception of those for the manor of Dunton,
about 500 acres, which still pays great and small tithes
to the vicar of Curdworth) were commuted for land under
an inclosure act passed in the year 1791. The church is
an ancient structure, in the later English style, with a
tower; a noble Saxon arch separates the chancel from
the body of the edifice: Dr. Sacheverel was married in
this church. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans,
and at Minworth is one for Independents. A battle
was fought here between the parliamentarians and
Curland (All Saints)
CURLAND (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Taunton, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W. division of Somerset, 5¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Taunton;
containing 228 inhabitants. The living is annexed to
the rectory of Curry-Mallet: the tithes have been commuted for £84, and the glebe contains 12 acres. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Curry, East, and Curry-Load
CURRY, EAST, and CURRY-LOAD, tythings, in
the parish of Stoke St. Gregory, union of Taunton,
hundred of North Curry, W. division of Somerset;
containing respectively 686 and 184 inhabitants.
Curry-Mallet (All Saints)
CURRY-MALLET (All Saints), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W. division of Somerset, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Ilminster; containing 630
inhabitants. The manor, in the time of Edward II.,
belonged to Hugh Poyntz, to whom that monarch
granted a weekly market, and a fair on the eve, day,
and morrow of the festival of All Saints; and who, in
the 18th of that reign, was summoned to parliament by
the title of Lord Poyntz, of Curry-Mallet. In the second
year of Edward III. this place was annexed to the duchy
of Cornwall, by the same act of parliament which vested
the duchy in the eldest son of the king, and it has ever
since continued to form a part of it. The parish abounds
with lias stone, which is extensively quarried for lime,
and for building; and the Chard canal passes through.
The living is a rectory, with that of Curland annexed,
valued in the king's books at £24. 1. 3., and in the
patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Cornwall; net income, £392. The church is a handsome
structure in the later English style.
Curry, North (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CURRY, NORTH (St. Peter and St. Paul), a
parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of North
Curry, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (E. by N.)
from Taunton; comprising the tythings of North Curry,
Knapp, Lillesdon, and Wrantage; and containing 2028
inhabitants, of whom 950 are in the tything of North
Curry. This place appears to have been known to the
Romans, an urn containing a quantity of silver coins of
that people having been discovered in 1748: it was subsequently held by the Saxon kings, and retained in demesne by the Conqueror. King John granted it a market, which was held on Wednesday, but has been long
discontinued. The parish comprises by admeasurement
5500 acres, of which about 1600 are arable, 90 woodland,
and the rest pasture; the navigable river Tone passes
in the vicinity. Newport, in the parish, anciently possessed the privileges and officers of a corporate town,
and is still called a borough; it had also a chapel. The
living is a discharged vicarage, with that of West
Hatch annexed, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells, valued in the king's books at £21; impropriator, C. Holcombe Dare, Esq. The great tithes
have been commuted for £650, and the vicarial for £220;
the glebe consists of 2½ acres, with a glebe-house.
There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and
Curry-Rivell (St. Andrew)
CURRY-RIVELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone,
W. division of Somerset, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Langport; comprising the tythings of Hambridge and Portfield, part of those of Burton-Pynsent and Week, the
entire hamlet of Langport-Westover, and Westmoor, an
extra-parochial place; the whole containing 1660 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Parret, and
intersected by the road from Barnstaple to London; it
comprises 4001 acres by measurement, and contains
several quarries of blue limestone and white lias, in
which bivalve shells of different sorts are frequently
found. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on the last
Wednesday in February, the Monday next after Lammas, and the 5th of August. The living is a vicarage,
with the chapelry of Weston, endowed with the rectorial
tithes of the latter, and valued in the king's books at
£13. 16. 0½.; patron and impropriator, W. Speke, Esq.
The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £310, and
the impropriate for £200; the glebe comprises only the
site and gardens of the ancient vicarage-house. The
church is an old edifice in the early English style. At
Westport is a separate incumbency, in the gift of R. T.
Cury (St. Ninian)
CURY (St. Ninian), a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of Kerrier hundred and of Cornwall, 4¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Helston; containing 541
inhabitants. It is situated on the shore of Mount's bay.
The old living is a vicarage, annexed, with the livings
of Germoe and Gunwalloe, to the vicarage of Breage:
the great tithes have been commuted for £279, and the
vicarial for £190. A perpetual curacy has been lately
instituted, which is in the gift of the Rev. Canon Rogers,
and includes the parishes of Cury and Gunwalloe. The
church has a fine Norman arch over the south door.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In a field
on the estate of Trevessec was discovered, a few years
since, an earthen vessel containing several hundred copper coins of various Roman emperors.
Cusop (St. Mary)
CUSOP (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hay,
hundred of Ewyaslacy, county of Hereford, 2 miles
(E. S. E.) from Hay; containing 223 inhabitants. On
the west and south the parish is bounded by a portion
of Wales, the river Wye separating it in the former, and
the river Dulas in the latter, direction. It comprises
2294 acres, of which 900 are common or waste; and is
intersected by the road from Hereford to Hay. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£5. 19. 7., and in the gift of the Earl of Oxford: the
tithes have been commuted for £210.
CUSTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of WestAcre, union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, S.
division of the hundred of Grenhoe, W. division of
Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Swaffham. Here are
the ruins of a chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket,
and supposed to have been founded by the monks of
West-Acre priory, who received permission to hold a fair
on the 7th of July: connected with it was a house, the
residence of a custos and one or two monks.
Cutcombe (St. John)
CUTCOMBE (St. John), a parish, in the union of
Williton, hundred of Carhampton, W. division of
Somerset, 5¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Dunster, and on
the road from Minehead to Exeter; containing 843 inhabitants. The parish comprises 7231 acres, of which
1852 are common or waste. The surface is strikingly
diversified, rising in some parts into hills of mountainous
elevation; and on the summit of Dunkery, one of the
highest mountains in the western counties, and 1696
feet above the level of the sea, are the remains of several
large hearths belonging to the beacons formerly erected
to alarm the country in times of civil discord or foreign
invasion. Limestone is extensively quarried for building
and for burning into lime; and iron-ore, which is wrought
in the adjoining parish, is supposed also to exist here.
Fairs are held at Wheddon Cross on the 22nd, and at
Luckwall Bridge on the 29th, of September. The living
is a vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial tithes,
with the living of Luxborough annexed, and valued in
the king's books at £14. 0. 7½.; it is in the patronage
of the Crown. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £114. 14. 6., and the vicarial for £295; the
glebe comprises about 1¼ acre. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A parochial school has an endowment of £35 per annum, arising from a bequest by
Richard Elsworth, in 1729; and commodious schoolrooms, with a residence for the master and mistress,
have been erected.
CUTSDEAN, a chapelry, in the parish of Bredon,
union of Winchcomb, Upper division of the hundred
of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county
of Worcester, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Moreton-inthe-Marsh; containing 172 inhabitants. It comprises
1505a. 2r. 20p., and forms a detached portion of the
parish, entirely surrounded by the county of Gloucester.
The chapel is a small edifice containing 72 sittings, and
stands about 14 miles east-south-east of the parish
church. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A
schoolmistress receives £7. 16. per annum, left by a
member of the Tracey family.
CUTTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Brampton,
union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N.
division of the county of Derby, 1½ mile (N. by E.)
from Brampton village; containing 333 inhabitants.
The hamlet is pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding fine views, and forms the north side of the
parish. The road from Chesterfield to Chapel-en-leFrith passes through. The Hall, now a farmhouse, is
a very ancient building.
Cuxham (Holy Rood)
CUXHAM (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of
Henley, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 5
miles (S. S. W.) from Tetsworth; containing 222 inhabitants. It comprises 497 acres, of which 29 are
common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £9. 10. 5.; net income, £275;
patrons, the Warden and Fellows of Merton College,
Oxford. The tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £182; there is a good glebe-house, and the
glebe contains nearly 24½ acres.
Cuxton (St. Michael)
CUXTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
North Aylesford, hundred of Shamwell, lathe of
Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 3 miles (W. S. W.)
from Rochester; containing 376 inhabitants. This
parish comprises 1685 acres, of which 24 are common
or waste, and 382 in wood: the river Medway, which
has a wharf, passes within a quarter of a mile. The
chalk-pits in the neighbourhood supply material for
lime, and bricks are made to a limited extent. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£14. 15. 5., and in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester:
the tithes payable to the incumbent have been commuted for £380. 16., with a glebe of 28½ acres; a rentcharge of £32. 1. is paid to an impropriator, and one
of £43. 5. to the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral of
Cuxwold (St. Nicholas)
CUXWOLD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts
of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (E.) from
Caistor; containing 62 inhabitants. It lies in the
eastern part of the Wolds, and comprises 1670 acres
of land. The road from Caistor to Great Grimsby
passes on the north of the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 6.,
and in the gift of H. Thorold, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £314. 17. 8., and the glebe comprises one acre and a quarter.
CWMCARVAN, a parish, in the division of Trellick, hundred of Raglan, union and county of Monmouth, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Monmouth; containing
315 inhabitants. The parish is in the eastern part of
the county, and contains 2908 acres, of which 939 are
arable, 1498 pasture and meadow, and 394 woodland,
the remainder consisting of roads and waste. The
surface exhibits considerable varieties of elevation, some
parts being boldly undulated, and others tolerably level;
and from Cwmcarvan Hill the views are extensive and
pleasing. A battle was fought here between Henry V.
and Owen Glyndwr, the latter of whom was defeated.
The living is annexed to the rectory of Mitchel-Troy: a
rent-charge of £193 has been awarded as a commutation
for the tithes, of which sum £20 are payable to the
Bishop of Llandaff; and there is a glebe of 10 acres
of land belonging to the rector. The church is an
ancient structure, containing a pulpit which is elaborately carved.
Cwmyoy (St. Michael)
CWMYOY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union,
division, and hundred of Abergavenny, county of
Monmouth, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Abergavenny;
containing, with the hamlets of Bwlch-Trewyn and
Toothog, 718 inhabitants. Soon after the year 1108, a
priory, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and afterwards known by the name of Llanthony Abbey, was
founded here by Hugh Lacy, for canons regular of the
order of St. Augustine, many of whom, on account of
the privations and hardships which they sustained in
this place, removed, first to the episcopal palace at
Hereford, and afterwards, in 1136, to Hyde, near
Gloucester; leaving a few of their brethren at the
original settlement at Llanthony, whose revenue, in the
26th of Henry VIII., was estimated at £100. The
parish is about eight miles in length, and one mile
in breadth, forming a rich and fertile valley, inclosed
on both sides by lofty hills, which extend from one extremity of the parish to the other, and watered by a
rivulet called the Honddu, along the bank of which is
the road to Abergavenny. Nearly in the centre of this
picturesque vale are the ruins of the abbey, consisting
of the gateway, and part of the conventual building.
The chapel of Llanthony, a plain edifice, is situated
close to the ruins. The living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £68; patron, R. Powell, Esq. There are places
of worship for Welsh Methodists and Baptists; and a
school supported by subscription. At the extreme part
of the Black mountain is a fine specimen of a Roman