Dundon - Dunsden

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

102-105

Citation Show another format:

'Dundon - Dunsden', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 102-105. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50930 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Dundon

DUNDON, a tything, in the parish of Compton-Dundon, union of Langport, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset; containing 256 inhabitants.

Dundraw

DUNDRAW, a township, in the parish of Broomfield, union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, and E. division of the county of Cumberland, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Wigton; containing, with Kelsick, 329 inhabitants.

Dundry (St. Michael)

DUNDRY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Chew, E. division of Somerset, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Bristol; containing, with the tythings of Littleton and East and West Dundry, 536 inhabitants. The parish comprises an extensive tract of land called Dundry Down, where are the remains of several quarries of freestone, from which are said to have been raised the materials for building the beautiful church of St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. A fair for cattle and sheep is held on the 12th of September. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Chew Magna. The church, a handsome edifice in the decorated English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, is seated on an eminence, and forms a conspicuous landmark for vessels navigating the Bristol Channel. In the churchyard are the remains of an ancient cross in excellent preservation, and on the same hill with the church is a rude building, supposed to have been intended for a beacon.

Dunfield

DUNFIELD, a hamlet, in the parish of Kempsford, union of Cirencester, hundred of BrightwellsBarrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 134 inhabitants.

Dunham

DUNHAM, a township, in the parish of Thornton, union of Great Boughton, Second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 5 miles (S. W.) from Frodsham; containing 306 inhabitants. It comprises 1350 acres; the soil is partly a strong marly clay, alternated with sand. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes near. The tithes have been commuted for £147.

Dunham (St. Oswald)

DUNHAM (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Tuxford; containing 335 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement 3277 acres, whereof 904 are in the township; and is situated on the river Trent, which frequently inundates the village, sometimes to the depth of ten feet, causing considerable damage to the buildings. The village stands on a gentle acclivity on the west bank of the river, across which was a broad and shallow ferry, now superseded by a handsome cast-iron bridge of four arches, each 118 feet in span, resting on stone piers, erected at an expense of £17,000, raised by subscription. The inhabitants had the privilege of a market, which is now disused; and a fair for cattle and merchandise, held on the 12th of August, has also been discontinued. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £252; patron, the Prebendary of Dunham in the collegiate church of Southwell; impropriators, Earl Manvers and others. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803. The church, with the exception of the tower, which is a good specimen of the later English style, was rebuilt in 1805. At Darlton and Ragnall, in the parish, are chapels of ease; and there is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Dunham, Great

DUNHAM, GREAT, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Swaffham; containing 520 inhabitants. It consists of 1968 acres, of which 1674 are arable, 280 meadow and pasture, and 13 woodland and plantations. The living comprises the consolidated discharged rectories of St. Andrew and St. Mary, valued in the king's books at £12. 1. 10½., and in the gift of the Rev. J. Humfrey: the tithes have been commuted for £550, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church is an ancient structure, repewed in 1832, at the cost of the incumbent; the font is curious, and on the south side of the chancel is a beautiful piscina, discovered in 1842. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists. The poor, in addition to several minor benefactions, receive yearly in coal the proceeds of 33 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1796. On the recent formation of a road to Fransham, some fine Roman urns were found.

Dunham, Little (St. Margaret)

DUNHAM, LITTLE (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Swaffham; containing 298 inhabitants. It comprises 1837 acres, of which 1366 are arable, 326 pasture, and 74 woodland; the soil rests on a strong clay or marl, and abounds with pyrites and various fossils. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16., and in the gift of the Rev. John Nelson: the tithes have been commuted for £493. 11. 6., and the glebe comprises 25½ acres, with a glebe-house. At the inclosure in 1793, 36 acres were allotted to the poor, the proceeds of which amount to £40 per annum.

Dunham-Massey

DUNHAM-MASSEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Altrincham; containing 1257 inhabitants. The village of Donehame is mentioned in Domesday book; it was the seat of the barony of that name, held by the barons Massey under the earls of Chester. Hamo, the last baron, died without male issue about the year 1341, and the property was afterwards possessed successively by the Inghams, Stranges, Fittons, Venables family, and Booths, from which last it devolved to the earls of Stamford and Warrington. The barons had a castle, which was defended by its owner, Hamo de Massey, in a rebellion against Henry II., in 1173; but not a relic of it now remains, nor can its site be ascertained. The township comprises 3334 acres of land. The seat of the Earl of Stamford and Warrington, here, is a quadrangular brick structure, built in 1730, and of spacious dimensions: there are two parks, one of which contains a great number of fine deer; and both, with the adjacent demesne, abound in noble timber, some of which has attained an extraordinary size, imparting an air of venerable grandeur to the mansion. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes near; and in one of the parks are vestiges of an old military road, and several tumuli, near which urns have been found. Tithe rent-charges have been awarded, of which £64 are payable to the vicar, and £402. 10. to the Bishop of Chester. There is an endowed school for boys at Seamons Moss; and another at Littleheath, founded and endowed by the late Mr. Thomas Walton.

Dunham-Woodhouses

DUNHAM-WOODHOUSES, a hamlet, in the township of Dunham-Massey, parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester; containing 282 inhabitants. This is a small place, about half a mile north of the village of Dunham-Massey.

Dunholm (St. Chad)

DUNHOLM (St. Chad), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Lincoln; containing 310 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Lincoln to Market-Rasen; at the eastern extremity is a stream which runs from the Ancholme to the river Witham. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of St. John Newport, in Lincoln, united, valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8.; net income, £98; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church contains a splendid monument to Sir Robert Grantham, who was buried here. Four poor persons are entitled to the benefit of Grantham's charity; £18, arising from two bequests, are annually distributed among widows of the parish, and a small sum is given in coal to the poor.

Dunkerton (All Saints)

DUNKERTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bath, hundred of Wellow, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Bath; containing 825 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1141a. 3r. 9p. of which about 734 acres are arable, 394 pasture, and 12 wood; the soil is chiefly clayey. The surface is hilly; the high grounds command extensive and interesting views, and the lower parts are watered by a small brook. Coal is found, and there are some mines in operation. The Somersetshire canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 4. 7.; income, £316; patron, Lord Poltimore.

Dunkeswell (St. Nicholas)

DUNKESWELL (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Hemyock, Honiton and ton; containing 536 inhabitants. Dunkeswell anciently belonged to a Jew named Amadio, and was purchased by William Bruere, who in 1201 founded an abbey for White monks, to the honour of the Virgin Mary, of which extensive remains are still to be seen; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was estimated at £298. 11. 10. The parish is situated on the Blackdown hills, and comprises by computation 3750 acres: mines of iron are supposed to have been formerly wrought here, or in the vicinity, from the appearance of the soil, and from one part being called the "Iron-pits." The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £42; the patronage and impropriation belong to Mrs. Mary Graves, and the tithes have been commuted for £130. The church has a font which is very ancient, and ornamented with figures supposed to represent Bruere and his wife. A district church has been erected on the site of the abbey, chiefly at the expense of Mrs. Simcoe, of Wolford Lodge, in the parish: the living is in the gift of that lady.

Dunkeswick

DUNKESWICK, a township, in the parish of Harewood, union of Carlton (under Gilbert's act), Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (W. by S.) from Wetherby; containing 297 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlet of Harewood-Bridge, is situated on the north side of the river Wharfe, and abounds with pleasing scenery.

Dunkirk-Ville

DUNKIRK-VILLE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Faversham, hundred of Westgate, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Canterbury; containing 638 inhabitants. This was anciently the royal forest of Bleane, and consists of a tract of 4620 acres, mostly covered with coppices, interspersed with farmhouses and cottages; there are but 650 acres of arable and pasture land. A church has been built by subscription, under the auspices of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is patron of the living.

Dunmow, Great (St. Mary)

DUNMOW, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 12½ miles (N. N. W.) from Chelmsford, and 37½ (N. E. by N.) from London; containing 2792 inhabitants. It is supposed by Bishop Gibson to be the site of the Roman station Cæsaromagus, and this conjecture has been adopted by other antiquaries; coins have been discovered at several places near the town, and the road leading from it to Colchester, which was probably Camalodunum, displays some indications of Roman construction. At the time of the Norman survey it was the chief place in the hundred to which it gives name, and in 1250 it was made a market-town: it is agreeably situated near the river Chelmer, and consists mainly of two streets. Formerly the manufacture of baize and blankets was carried on very extensively; at present there is only a small establishment for making sacking and coarse cloth. The market, which was on Saturday, has been discontinued; but there are fairs on May 6th and Nov. 8th, for cattle. The inhabitants obtained a charter of incorporation from Philip and Mary, which was confirmed by Elizabeth, the government being vested in a recorder, bailiff, and twelve burgesses; but the officers do not now possess magisterial authority, and the only duty they perform is the appointment of a constable, bread-weighers, and leather-sealers, which takes place on the Tuesday after Michaelmas-day. The powers of the county debt-court of Dunmow, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Dunmow. The petty-sessions for the division are held here. The parish is of considerable extent, comprising 6661 acres, of which 144 are common or waste; on the banks of the Chelmer are some of the finest meadows in the county, and the soil is generally fertile. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 13. 4.; patron, the Bishop of London; impropriator, Sir G. H. W. Beaumont, Bart.: the great tithes have been commuted for £1510, and the vicarial for £580; the glebe contains half an acre, with a house. The church is a spacious edifice in the decorated and later English styles, consisting of a nave, aisles, and a chancel with a fine window: it has many ancient and interesting monuments. Here are places of worship for Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, and Independents; and an almshouse for ten poor persons. The union comprises 25 parishes or places, and contains a population of 19,884.

Dunmow, Little (St. Mary)

DUNMOW, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Great Dunmow; containing 385 inhabitants. It is celebrated for an ancient custom connected with the manor of Little Dunmow, of delivering a gammon, or flitch of bacon, on demand to any couple who, after having been married a year and a day, will swear that neither party has repented, and that no cause of quarrel or complaint has arisen between them. Before the Reformation the oath used to be administered, and the bacon given, by the prior of the convent; and since, the ceremony has been occasionally performed at a court baron before the steward of the manor. The institution of the custom is supposed to have taken place soon after the Norman Conquest, but the earliest instance on record of the delivery of the bacon, is in the 23rd of Henry VI., and the latest in 1751; and the whole number of successful claimants is said to have been but six couples. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £72; patron, the Rev. W. Toke; impropriator, E. Knight, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £515. 18. The church consists only of the south aisle and part of the nave of a church that belonged to a priory of Augustine canons founded in 1104, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £173. 2. 4. Under an arched recess in the south wall is a coffin-shaped tomb, supposed to be that of Lady Juga, sister of Ralph Baynard, foundress of the priory; near it is a monument with the figures of an armed knight and his lady, thought to have been erected for Sir Walter Fitz-Walter, who died in 1198; and on the opposite side of the church is a monument with a female figure in alabaster, said to represent Matilda Fitz-Walter, famous in legendary story as the wife or mistress of Robin Hood, and the object of the illicit passion of King John, who is stated to have caused her to be poisoned, in revenge for having rejected his addresses.

Dunnerdale and Seathwaite

DUNNERDALE and SEATHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Kirkby-Ireleth, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8½ miles (W. by S.) from Hawkeshead; containing 354 inhabitants, of whom 152 are in Dunnerdale. It comprises a romantic district, extending along the east side of the Duddon, from 2 to 10 miles north from Broughton, and terminating in lofty mountains.—See Seathwaite.

Dunnington

DUNNINGTON, a township, in the parish of Beeford, union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 10 miles (E. S. E.) from Driffield; containing 79 inhabitants. At this place, anciently called Dodington, the abbey of Meaux had possessions so early as the 12th century; and when monasteries were dissolved in the reign of Henry VIII., that institution held here 177 acres of land. It is supposed there was once a considerable village, as many foundations are met with in an adjoining field, and it is certain that a chapel existed here, part of the walls of which was standing about half a century since; but the chapel-yard, a small inclosure, now alone remains. The township comprises 678 acres of land: the village is situated east of the road between Beeford and Brandsburton.

Dunnington (St. Nicholas)

DUNNINGTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, union, and E. riding of the county, of York, 4½ miles (E. by N.) from York; containing, with the township of Grimston, 765 inhabitants. The parish is on the road between York and Hull, and comprises by measurement 3199 acres, of which 2170 are in the township of Dunnington, and are chiefly arable land, with some pasture, and a little wood. The surface is tolerably elevated towards the north, and sloping southward for some distance, terminates in a plain: the soil varies considerably, on the high grounds being gravelly, on the lower sandy and moorish, and on the intermediate land a good loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19, and in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater: the tithes have been commuted for £348. 2., and there is a glebe of 106 acres. The church was enlarged in 1840, at the cost of nearly £1200, chiefly contributed by the Countess of Bridgewater; and the Rev. T. Egerton, the rector, and partly raised from rents issuing out of certain church lands. It consists of a nave, aisles, and chancel, the nave separated from the aisles by arches of circular form resting on round columns; the roof is of dark oak, and the interior has a chaste and beautiful appearance. The original styles of architecture, the Norman and the decorated English, have been adhered to in subsequent improvements. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Dunningworth

DUNNINGWORTH, a hamlet, in the union and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 5½ miles (E. by N.) from Wickham-Market; containing 25 inhabitants. This was formerly a distinct parish; but the living, a discharged rectory, has been united to that of Tunstall, and the church, which was dedicated to St. Mary, has fallen into ruins. A considerable fair for horses is held on August 11th, and continues for three days.

Dunnockshaw

DUNNOCKSHAW, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Burnley; containing 41 inhabitants. The township lies on the road from Burnley to Bury.

Dunsby (All Saints)

DUNSBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Bourne; containing 195 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 14. 7.; net income, £189; patrons, the Governors of the Charter-House, London, tithes belonging to whom have been commuted for £26, and who have also a glebe of 7 acres. The church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, of the latter of which the tower is a handsome specimen.

Dunsby, in Flaxwell wapentake, county of Lincoln.—See Brauncewell.

DUNSBY, in Flaxwell wapentake, county of Lincoln.—See Brauncewell.

Dunscar

DUNSCAR, a hamlet, in the chapelry of Turton, parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles from Bolton, on the road to Blackburn. In this hamlet are the extensive bleach-works of Messrs. George and James Slater, established in 1785, and employing about 145 hands. The residence of Mr. James Slater is pleasantly situated here; that of Mr. George Slater is at Holmeses, in the township of Sharples.—See Turton.

Dunsden, with Eye.—See Eye.

DUNSDEN, with Eye.—See Eye.



<--Previous:
Duddon - Duncton