Finchampstead (St. James)
FINCHAMPSTEAD (St. James), a parish, in the
union of Wokingham, hundred of Charlton, county
of Berks, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Wokingham; containing 530 inhabitants, and comprising 3926a. 20p.
Henry VI. granted a charter for a fair on Whit-Monday
and the two following days, which has fallen into disuse; but at West-court, in the parish, a fair for cattle
is held on April 23rd. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £12. 9. 4½.; net income, £500;
patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. E. St. John.
Finchingfield (St. John the Baptist)
FINCHINGFIELD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Braintree, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 5½ miles (E. by N.) from
Thaxted; containing 2262 inhabitants. This extensive
parish is bounded on the west by the river Pant; the
surface is generally low, and the soil varies from a deep
rich loam to light gravelly pasture-land bordering on
the river. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £18; patron, the Rev. J. Stock; impropriator,
R. Marriot, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted
for £1506. 5., and the vicarial for £733. 10.; the glebe
comprises nearly 3 acres. The church, pleasantly situated on a hill, is a substantial edifice of stone, with a
tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, which was
blown down in 1702; the chancel contains two chapels,
in which are some ancient and interesting monuments.
A chapel has been erected at Cornish-Hall End, in the
parish, the patronage of which is vested in the Bishop
of London; it is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist,
and the net income of the incumbent is £100. There is
a place of worship for Independents. William Bendlowes, in 1576, founded an almshouse for four widows;
and Ann Cole, in 1730, gave the fourth share of a farm
now let for £60 per annum, for instructing and apprenticing children.
Finchley (St. Mary)
FINCHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Barnet, Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 7 miles (N. W. by N.)
from London, on the great north road; containing 3664
inhabitants. This place was long celebrated for an extensive common, now inclosed, which comprises about
1010 acres, partly in the adjoining parishes of Fryern-Barnet and Hornsey; General Monk, in 1660, drew up
his army on it, while engaged in negotiations for the
restoration of Charles II., and it was subsequently
the frequent resort of large bodies of troops for
exercise. The parish contains by computation 2792
acres, of which 350 are arable, 90 woodland, and the
remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is a strong
deep loam. Since the inclosure of the common, the
neighbourhood has been greatly improved, and several
handsome detached mansions, and numerous pleasing
villas, have been erected for the residence of opulent and
respectable families: the village is well built, and is
connected with the western portion of the metropolis
by a new road from St. John's Wood, Paddington. A
market, chiefly for pigs, is held on Monday. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £417; patron, the Bishop of London. The
tithes were partly commuted for land, under an act of
inclosure, in 1811, and the remainder have been recently
commuted for a rent-charge of £100; the glebe comprises 36 acres. The church is a stone edifice in the
later English style, consisting of a nave, chancel, and
north aisle, and containing several ancient monuments.
At Whetstone is a district church; and at East End is
a church dedicated to the Trinity, the first stone of
which was laid by the late Mr. Byng, in October, 1845;
it has a bell-turret surmounted by a spire rising eighty
feet above the ground. There are places of worship for
Independents and Wesleyans. In 1489, Robert Warren
gave land at Finchley for charitable uses, which, with
property arising from other benefactions, produces
about £280 per annum, applied in repairing the church
and highways, relieving the poor, and for other purposes.
FINDERN, a chapelry, in the parish of Mickleover, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of
Derby, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Derby; containing
416 inhabitants. It comprises 1622a. 2r. 22p., and has
a village that extends round a green of about two acres.
The manufacture of velvet and silk is carried on. The
Trent and Mersey canal, and the Birmingham and
Derby railway, pass through the township. The chapel
is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship
for Unitarians. John Allsop, in 1714, bequeathed land
now producing £50 a year, for the maintenance of a
schoolmaster. It is said traditionally that this place
belonged to Lord Findern in the time of Richard III.,
and was confiscated after the battle of Bosworth-Field.
Findon (St. John the Baptist)
FINDON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union of Thakeham, hundred of Brightford, rape of
Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 7 miles (W. N. W.)
from Shoreham; containing 589 inhabitants. It is
situated on the road from Horsham to Worthing, and
comprises 4349a. 2r., of which 1477 acres are arable,
517 pasture, 150 woodland, and 2136 open down.
Fairs are held on Holy-Thursday for pedlery, and on
September 14th for sheep. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 3. 9.; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of
Magdalen College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £555, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The
church is in the early English style, with later insertions.
On the hill called Tor Mur, several Roman urns were
discovered immediately under the turf; and in the
grounds of Cissbury, several unbaked urns containing
coins of the Lower Empire were found, one of which is
in the British Museum.
Finedon, or Thingdon (St. Mary)
FINEDON, or THINGDON (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Huxloe,
N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles
(N. E. by N.) from Wellingborough; containing 1378
inhabitants. The manor and principal part of the parish
have belonged, for more than two centuries, to the
Dolben family, whose ancestor, Sir Gilbert Dolben, son
of an archbishop of York, was the first baronet. The
parish is intersected by the road from Peterborough to
Northampton, and consists of 3547a. 2r. 1p. The population, with the exception of a few employed in the
making of shoes, and some females in the manufacture
of lace, are engaged in agriculture. There are several
quarries of stone, which is raised for building, burning
into lime, and for the roads. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 1.; net income,
£843; patron, incumbent, and impropriator, the Rev. S.
W. Paul. The tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1806; the land contains between 600
and 700 acres. The church is a large and handsome
edifice, mostly in the decorated style; the tower, battlements, and spire, are fine specimens of later English
architecture: the font is a large cubical mass of stone,
with the angles sloped off, so as to make the upper face
octagonal. Here are places of worship for the Society
of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. Richard
Walker in 1580 founded and endowed a school, the bequest to which now produces £60 per annum, for the
instruction of boys; and there is an endowment in
land, producing £50 for girls.
Fineshade (St. Mary)
FINESHADE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Uppingham, hundred of Corby, N. division of the
county of Northampton, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from
Oundle, containing 55 inhabitants. It is intersected by
the road from Kettering to Stamford, and consists of
about 670 acres. The living is a donative, in the patronage of C. Kirkham, Esq. On the ruins of Castle-Hymel,
which was demolished in the reign of John, a priory of
Black canons was founded by Richard Engain, Lord of
Blatherwycke, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £62. 16.
Fingall (St. Andrew)
FINGALL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of
York; containing, with the townships of Akebar and
Hutton-Hang, and the chapelry of Burton-Constable,
458 inhabitants, of whom 133 are in the township of
Fingall, 6½ miles (W. N. W.) from Bedale. The parish
comprises by computation 3835 acres, of which 1437 are
arable, 1939 meadow and pasture, and 460 woodland;
the surface is boldly undulated, and the village situated
on a considerable eminence. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £18. 18. 4.; net income,
£342; patron, Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq. The tithes of
Fingall township have been commuted for £76, and the
glebe consists of 83 acres. The church is a small ancient structure, about half a mile from the village.
Fingest, or Finghurst (St. Bartholomew)
FINGEST, or FINGHURST (St. Bartholomew), a
parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Desborough, county of Buckingham, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from
Henley-on-Thames; containing 379 inhabitants. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £6. 7. 11.; and in the gift of the Dean and
Chapter of Wells: the tithes have been commuted for
£186, and the glebe comprises 26 acres. The church
exhibits remains of Norman architecture; the font is
circular, and enriched with arches. There is a bequest
in land, producing £15 per annum, by the Rev. Francis
Edmunds, for teaching and clothing children.
FINGLAND, a township, in the parish of Bowness,
union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, E. division of
the county of Cumberland, 6½ miles (N.) from the town
of Wigton; containing 187 inhabitants.
Fingringhoe (St. George)
FINGRINGHOE (St. George), a parish, in the
union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 4¼ miles (S. E. by S.)
from Colchester; containing 581 inhabitants. The
parish is nearly surrounded by water, and comprises
about 3000 acres, chiefly fertile land: the river Colne is
navigable on the east, and the Geetons on the south.
The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Maldon to Colchester. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 0½., and in the
patronage of the Rev. J. M. Leir; net income, £140.
The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave,
aisles, and chancel, with a tower of flint and stone.
Finmere (St. Michael)
FINMERE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Brackley, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford,
8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Bicester; containing 387
inhabitants. It is situated on the river Ouse, and comprises about 1500 acres: the soil is generally of inferior
quality, and the surface elevated, and broken into hills.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£8. 9. 4½., and in the gift of the Duke of Buckingham:
the tithes have been commuted for £443, and there are
43 acres of glebe.
Finningham (St. Bartholomew)
FINNINGHAM (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of
Suffolk, 4 miles (N. W.) from Thwaite; containing
480 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £10. 10. 5., and in the gift
of the family of Frere: the tithes have been commuted
for £440, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church
is in the later English style, with a square embattled
tower: the east window has been embellished with
stained glass, at the expense of the Rev. Edward Frere;
there are monuments to Sir John and Lady Fenn, and
the font is elaborately sculptured.
Finningley (St. Oswald)
FINNINGLEY (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union
of Doncaster, partly in the Hatfield division of the
wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of
Nottingham, and partly in the soke of Doncaster,
W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Bawtry;
containing, with the townships of Aukley and Blaxton,
1209 inhabitants. The township of Finningley comprises by estimation 2340a. 2r. 25p.: the village is large,
but irregularly built. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £13. 4. 9½.; net income, £600;
patron, J. Harvey, Esq. The waste lands of the parish
were inclosed in 1774; and in 1778 an allotment was
assigned to the rector in lieu of all tithes, except those of
300 acres having no common right, which have recently
been commuted for a rent-charge of £44. 10. The
church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled
tower and a Norman porch. There is a chapel of ease
at Aukley, erected by Mr. Harvey, T. W. Childers, Esq.,
and the Rev. G. H. Woodhouse. In the village is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
FINSBURY, one of the newly-enfranchised metropolitan boroughs, comprising parts of the Finsbury and
Holborn divisions of the hundred of Ossulstone,
county of Middlesex, with some places of exempt
jurisdiction; the whole containing 265,043 inhabitants.
It sends two members to parliament, under the provisions of the Reform act: the right of election is vested
in the £10 householders, and the returning officer is
annually appointed by the sheriff.—See Islington,
FINSTHWAITE, a parochial chapelry, in the parish
of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of
Lancaster, 8½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Ulverston. It
is bounded on the north-east by the outlet of Windermere lake. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £76; patrons, the Landowners. The chapel,
dedicated to St. Peter, was consecrated and made parochial in 1725; it has been enlarged, and 30 free sittings
provided. There is a small endowment for a school, by
James Dixon, in 1729.
FINSTOCK, a hamlet, in the parish of Charlbury,
union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Banbury,
county of Oxford, 4¼ miles (N.) from Witney; containing 534 inhabitants. A church has been built.
FIRBANK, anciently Frithbank, a chapelry, in the
parish of Kirkby-Lonsdale, union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 10½ miles (N.)
from Kirkby-Lonsdale; containing 199 inhabitants.
The chapelry is bounded on the east by the river Lune,
which separates it from Yorkshire; and comprises 3017
acres, of which 1200 are waste land or common: it is
chiefly pasture. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes
through a small portion. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £80, with a glebe-house; patron,
the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale, whose tithes have been
commuted for 18s., and the impropriate for £24, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge. The chapel and
burying-ground were on the edge of an extensive moor;
but the chapel has been pulled down, and a new edifice
erected in the vale, and a burial-place attached; the
chapel is in the pointed style, and commands one of
the most beautiful and extensive views in the neighbourhood. There is a day school.
Firbeck (St. Peter)
FIRBECK (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Worksop, S. division of the wapentake of Upper
Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4 miles
(S. W. by S.) from Tickhill; containing 191 inhabitants.
It comprises 1258a. 1r. 31p., of which 775 acres are
arable, 266 meadow and pasture, and 193 woodland. The
soil, though chiefly thin, is, owing to the use of bonemanure and to good cultivation, exceedingly productive;
the surface is varied, and the scenery picturesque.
Limestone of excellent quality abounds; and in the
north-west part of the parish, adjoining the famed Roche
Abbey grounds, the rock partakes of the quality of the
white limestone so valuable to statuaries, called "Roche
Abbey stone." Firbeck Hall, the seat of the late Henry
Gally Knight, Esq., M.P., is a handsome residence in a
well-wooded demesne. The village is beautifully situated
in a sequestered vale, watered by a rivulet. The living
is a perpetual curacy, with the living of Letwell annexed,
in the patronage of the Chancellor of the Cathedral of
York, with a net income of £60, and a glebe-house and
13 acres of land: the tithes have been commuted for
£200. The church, a neat structure in the early Norman
style, was built in 1820 at the expense of Mr. Knight,
aided by a grant of £120 from the Incorporated Society:
in the churchyard are head-stones to two persons who
attained the respective ages of 109 and 111 years.
FIRBY, a township, in the parish of Westow,
union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of
York, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Malton; containing
36 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north and west by
the river Derwent, and comprises 490 acres of land.
The Hall is a neat mansion, situated on a gentle acclivity, and encompassed by well-wooded grounds.
FIRBY, a township, in the parish and union of
Bedale, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York,
1¼ mile from Bedale; containing 54 inhabitants. It is
situated on the south side of the Bedale rivulet, and
comprises 629a. 2r. 4p. Firby or Christ's hospital,
founded in 1608 by John Clapham, for a master, six
brethren, and 24 single men, of the parish of Bedale,
stands near the village.
Firle, West (St. Peter)
FIRLE, WEST (St. Peter), a parish, and the head
of a union, in the hundred of Totnore, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from
Lewes; containing 722 inhabitants. This parish, which
is on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, comprises
by measurement 3208 acres, exclusively of woodland;
1108 are arable, 1326 meadow, 769 down, and 5 gardens.
Firle Park, the seat of Viscount Gage, is a spacious and
handsome residence, situated in a well-wooded park,
within the limits of which is the church. The village is
pleasantly seated under the South Downs, whose summit
here, called Firle Beacon, has an elevation of 120 feet
above the level of the sea, and commands beautiful
views. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Beddingham, and valued in the king's books at £13. 9. 4½.
The church is chiefly in the decorated English style,
with a square embattled tower: on the north of the
chancel is the sepulchral chapel of the Gage family.
The poor law union comprises eight parishes, and contains a population of 2449.
Firsby (St. Andrew)
FIRSBY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles
(S. E. by S.) from Spilsby; containing 196 inhabitants.
It comprises 1066 acres by measurement: the soil of
the arable grounds is a stiffish clay; there are some
good pastures, and a considerable portion of inferior
meadow and marsh, recently much improved by draining. The Steeping river flows through the lands. The
living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of
Great Steeping united, valued in the king's books at
£12. 0. 2.; patron, the Rev. Joseph Walls; impropriator, J. Maddison, Esq. The impropriate tithes have
been commuted for £19. 10., and the rectorial for
£182. 10.; the glebe comprises 11 acres. The church
is a neat structure. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. The sum of £12. 13., arising from three
bequests of land by unknown benefactors, is annually
distributed among the poor. Near the church is a
spring, slightly chalybeate.
Firsby, East (St. James)
FIRSBY, EAST (St. James), a parish, in the E.
division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S. E.) from
Spital; containing 87 inhabitants, of whom 47 are in
the township of West Firsby. The parish is on the
road from Lincoln to Barton, and comprises 535 acres
by measurement. The living is a discharged rectory,
united to the vicarage of Saxby, and valued in the king's
books at £6. 13: 4. The church has fallen into ruins.
Fishbourn, New (St. Peter and St. Mary)
FISHBOURN, NEW (St. Peter and St. Mary), a
parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of
Box and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 1¼ mile (W.) from Chichester; containing 295 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by
Chichester harbour. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £5. 10., and in the patronage of the
Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £176. 16.;
the glebe comprises 14 acres, and the Dean and Chapter
of Chichester receive a sum of £10. 14. per annum. The
church is in the early English style. The remains of a
Roman bath with a tessellated pavement were discovered
in 1812, near the site of the Roman road here.
FISHBOURN, OLD, a hamlet, in the parish and
hundred of Bosham, union of Westbourne, rape of
Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 2 miles (W.) from
Chichester; containing 90 inhabitants.
FISHBURN, a township, in the parish and union of
Sedgefield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 9¼ miles (S. E. by S.)
from Durham; containing 239 inhabitants. The family
of Fishburn, who assumed the local name, were the
earliest proprietors on record of the vill and manor; and
among other landowners of whom mention occurs, have
been the families of Bulmer, Widdrington, and Conyers.
The township comprises 2082 acres, chiefly arable land,
and is bounded towards the south by the river Skerne.
The village is scattered along a dry swell of limestone,
considerably to the north of the burn or beck which has
given it name. Divine service is performed each alternate Sunday afternoon in a schoolroom, by one of the
clergymen of the parish church, the rector of which has
a glebe here of 69 acres, and tithes that have been commuted for £215. 8. 6. There is a place of worship for