Fringford (St. Michael)
FRINGFORD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford,
3¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Bicester; containing 390
inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £12. 16. 0½., and in the patronage of
the Crown: the church is an ancient structure in the
Norman style, of which the chancel has been rebuilt.
Frinstead (St. Dunstan)
FRINSTEAD (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union
of Hollingbourn, hundred of Eyhorne, E. division
of the lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4 miles
(S. by W.) from Sittingbourne; containing 202 inhabitants. It comprises 1296a. 2r. 28p., chiefly under cultivation; 162 acres are in wood. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 11. 8.; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. H. Hinton, whose tithes have been
commuted for £280, and whose glebe comprises 7 acres.
FRINTON, a parish, in the union and hundred of
Tendring, N. division of Essex, 13 miles (S. E.) from
Manningtree; containing 44 inhabitants. The parish
appears to have been of greater extent, till reduced to
its present limits by encroachments of the sea, which,
according to calculation, take from it about one acre
annually. Its area is 474 acres; the soil is heavy, and
favourable for the growth of wheat. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7.
6. 8., and in the gift of the family of Lushington: the
tithes have been commuted for £150, and the glebe
comprises 27 acres. The present church is a very small
edifice, not capable of holding more than 40 persons.
The ruins of the ancient church are situated near the
FRISBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Gaulby, union
of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the
county of Leicester, 8½ miles (E. by S.) from Leicester;
containing 15 inhabitants. Here was once a chapel.
Frisby-on-the-Wreak (St. Thomas à Becket)
FRISBY-on-the-Wreak (St. Thomas à Becket),
a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of
East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester,
4 miles (W. S. W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing
429 inhabitants. It comprises 1412a. 13p., of which
one-fourth part is arable, and the remainder pasture.
The soil near the river Wreak is a rich black loam, resting on gravel alternated with sand, and in other parts is
mostly a strong clay; the surface is generally hilly,
except in the vicinity of the river. In the village is an
old stone cross. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £7. 16. 8., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £180; impropriator, Lord Scarsdale: the tithes were commuted for land
and a money payment in 1760. The church, which is
very ancient, is in the early English style, with fine
antique windows, and contains 350 sittings. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans. Mrs. Judith Briggs in
1718 left 48 acres of land, the rent of which, £68, is
divided among aged females.
Friskney (All Saints)
FRISKNEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, Marsh division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles
(S. W.) from Wainfleet; containing 1607 inhabitants.
This parish, which is the most extensive in the wapentake, is situated on the sea-coast, between Wainfleet and
Boston, and comprises by measurement 7006 acres of
land, for the most part of excellent quality. The living
is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 6. 8.;
patrons and impropriators, the Booth family: the great
tithes have been commuted for £950, and the vicarial
for £750; the glebe comprises 9½ acres. The church is
in the ancient English style, and contains some elegant
monuments to the Booths, and one, lately discovered,
representing a knight in chain-armour, sculptured in soft
sandstone, with the arms of Friskney emblazoned. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school in
union with the National Society is supported by the
rent of allotments of land.
Friston (St. Mary)
FRISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 3
miles (S. E.) from Saxmundham; containing 455 inhabitants. This parish, which is partly bounded on the
south by the river Alde, comprises about 1400 acres.
The surface is varied; in the lower grounds, the soil is
partly marshy, and partly a fertile loam, comprising a
considerable tract of good arable land. The living is a
vicarage, with that of Snape consolidated, valued in the
king's books at £5; net income, £194; patron and impropriator, R. W. H. H. Vyse, Esq. The church is a
small building, serving, from its elevated situation, as a
landmark to mariners.
FRISTON, a parish, in the union of Eastbourne,
hundred of Willingdon, rape of Pevensey, E. division
of Sussex, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Eastbourne; containing 91 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated
near the Downs, is bounded on the south by the English
Channel, and on the west by Cuckmere haven. The
living is a vicarage, united to that of East Dean, and
valued in the king's books at £7. The church is a small
structure in the decorated English style, containing in
the chancel some monuments to the Selwyn family; it
forms a good landmark for mariners.
Frith, with Wrenbury.—See Wrenbury.
FRITH, with Wrenbury.—See Wrenbury.
Frith, with Forest.—See Forest, Durham.
FRITH, with Forest.—See Forest, Durham.
FRITHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Bramshaw,
union and hundred of New-Forest, Romsey and S.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (N. W.)
from Lyndhurst; containing 127 inhabitants.
Frithelstock (St. Mary and St. Gregory)
FRITHELSTOCK (St. Mary and St. Gregory), a
parish, in the union of Torrington, hundred of Shebbear, Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles
(W.) from Torrington; containing 705 inhabitants. The
living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Johns family: the tithes have been commuted for £360.
In the reign of Henry III., Sir Robert Beauchamp
founded a house of Augustine canons, dedicated to the
Virgin Mary, St. Gregory, and St. Edmund, and valued
at the Dissolution at £127. 2. 4. per annum: a small
portion of the conventual church is yet remaining.
Frith-Ville, or West Fen
FRITH-VILLE, or West Fen, a township, in the
union of Boston, W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 333 inhabitants. This township, with six others,
was created such by an act of parliament in 1812, when
the drainage of about 14,000 acres in Wildmore Fen, and
in the East and West Fens, was carried into effect. A
neat church was built in 1821, at Mount-Pleasant: the
living is in the gift of Trustees.
Frittenden (St. Mary)
FRITTENDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Cranbrooke, Lower division of the
lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 4¼ miles (N. E. by
N.) from Cranbrooke; containing 804 inhabitants. It
consists of 3318 acres, of which 310 are in wood. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15.
18. 9., and in the gift of T. L. Hodges, Esq.: the tithes
have been commuted for £412, and the glebe comprises
13 acres, with a house. The church is principally in the
decorated English style, and forms a striking object in
the scenery of the Weald of Kent.
Fritton (St. Catherine)
FRITTON (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Depwade, E. division of Norfolk,
2½ miles (E. by N.) from Long Stratton; containing 301
inhabitants. It comprises 882a. 2r. 22p., of which 625a.
3r. 38p. are arable, 184a. 1r. 34p. pasture, and 63 acres
common; the surface is generally flat, and the soil is
mixed, but of great fertility. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £9; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. T. Howes, whose tithes have been
commuted for £283, and whose glebe comprises 8½
acres. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly early
English, with a circular tower in the Norman style, surmounted by an octagonal turret.
Fritton (St. Edmund)
FRITTON (St. Edmund), a parish, in the hundred
of Mutford and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk,
6 miles (S. W. by S.) from Yarmouth; containing 223
inhabitants. It comprises 1555 acres, of which 280 are
waste land or common. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patron
and incumbent, the Rev. F. W. Cubitt, whose tithes
have been commuted for £266, and whose glebe comprises 14 acres. The church is an ancient structure in
the Norman style, with a circular tower; the roof is of
stone, neatly groined.
Fritwell (St. Olave)
FRITWELL (St. Olave), a parish, in the union of
Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford,
5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Bicester; containing 524 inhabitants. In 1159, Pope Alexander III. ratified a grant
made by Malcolm, King of Scotland, of the church of
Fritwell to the monks of St. Frideswide, Oxford; and by
an inquisition taken in 1405, it appeared that the Earl
of Ormond held a manor within the parish, called Ormondston. The parish is high table-land, and contains
one of the sources of the river Ouse; it comprises 1850a.
2r. 10p., of which about one-fifth is arable, and the remainder pasture, with a very small portion of woodland. The
manor-house occupied by the owner, William Willes,
Esq., is a fine specimen of domestic architecture of the
time of Elizabeth or James I. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4.; net income, £103; patrons and impropriators, the Willes
family: the tithes were commuted for land and a money
payment in 1807. The church is an interesting edifice
in the Norman style; the roof is supported by circular
arches resting on massive round pillars with plain capitals: a portion of the ancient rood-loft, of highly decorated character, was recently removed. There are remains of Ormondston manor-house now held by a
Frizington, High and Low
FRIZINGTON, HIGH and LOW, a township, in the
parish of Arlecdon, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Whitehaven; containing
250 inhabitants, and comprising 1881a. 1r. 39p. Ironore is obtained; and there is a chalybeate spring, the
water of which is said to possess the same virtues as
that at Harrogate.
Frocester (St. Peter)
FROCESTER (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Wheatenhurst, Lower division of the hundred of
Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
5½ miles (W. by S.) from Stroud; containing 344 inhabitants. It is situated on the old road from Gloucester
to Bath, and comprises about 1800 acres; the surface is
varied, rising in some parts into considerable elevation,
and on the hills are quarries of good stone for building
and for the roads. The village is pleasantly seated at
the foot of a lofty hill, from the summit of which is an
extensive and interesting view of the vale watered by the
Severn. The Gloucester and Bristol railway has a station here, 10¾ miles from the Gloucester station. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £10. 5. 10.; patron and impropriator, Lord Ducie.
The tithes have been commuted for £260, and the glebe
comprises one small field, attached to the glebe-house.
A college of prebendaries anciently existed here. Frocester Court, now a farmhouse, was originally a stately
mansion, and it is on record that Queen Elizabeth paid
a visit to its proprietor; a barn on the farm, probably
the grand hall of the building, has still a roof of oak,
of great length and solidity.
Frodesley (St. Mark)
FRODESLEY (St. Mark), a parish, in the union of
Atcham, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop,
8¾ miles (W. by N.) from Wenlock; containing 214 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2200 acres;
the surface is hilly, and the soil various, in some parts a
rich black loam, and in others clayey. Mines of coal
were opened many years since, but the working of them
was soon discontinued; they were re-opened in 1833,
and a small mine is now in operation: the coal, in
burning, emits a strong sulphureous smell. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£4. 14.; net income, £370; patron and incumbent, the
Rev. T. Gleadow. The church was rebuilt in 1809, in a
neat style. Two ancient mansions, called respectively
the Hall and Lodge, of which the former was of great
antiquity, and the latter was surrounded by a park of
360 acres now thrown open, are both farmhouses. Near
the Lodge is a votive altar to the goddesses of Britain,
inscribed in Roman characters, with the name of L.
Caractacus; it is of cubic form, and placed on a pedestal
of a different kind of stone. The Roman Watling street,
in the line of the present turnpike-road, runs through
Frodingham (St. Lawrence)
FRODINGHAM (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the
union of Glandford-Brigg, E. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
8½ miles (W. N. W.) from Glandford-Brigg; comprising
the townships of Bromby, Frodingham, Scunthorpe,
and part of Crosby; and containing 701 inhabitants, of
whom 73 are in Frodingham township. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£12. 16. 8.; net income, £222; patron and impropriator, C. Winn, Esq. £5. 16., the produce of bequests,
are annually distributed among widows.
Frodingham, North (St. Elgin)
FRODINGHAM, NORTH (St. Elgin), a parish, in
the union of Driffield, N. division of the wapentake of
Holderness, E. riding of York, 6 miles (S. E. by E.)
from Driffield; containing 831 inhabitants. It comprises about 3000 acres, of which 300 are grass-land,
9 wood, and the remainder arable. The soil is a strong
clay, and the surface level, with occasional remarkable
diluvial elevations, formed of sand and gravel, and provincially called "barfs;" there are also some carrs, composed of vegetable remains, which, previous to draining,
formed considerable lakes. The village is well built, and
consists chiefly of a number of detached houses, forming
one long street; it is situated about half a mile eastward
from the navigable river Hull, over which is a bridge.
Frodingham had the privilege of a weekly market; but
its ancient charter was transferred, about eighty years
ago, to Driffield, in consequence of the superior locality
of that town for the purposes of trade: fairs, however,
are held for pedlery, &c., on July 10th and October 2nd.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £5, and in the patronage of the Rev. Francis
Drake, with a net income of £170; impropriator, P.
Saltmarshe, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land
and a money payment in 1801. The church is a very
ancient structure, with a tower of chaste design; but
the beauty of the whole edifice was injured by the last
reparation, in 1816. There are places of worship for
Independents and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
A silver coin of Edward the Confessor was found on the
glebe-farm, in digging a well, in 1833.
FRODINGHAM, SOUTH, a township, in the parish
of Owthorne, union of Patrington, S. division of the
wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of Yorkshire,
4 miles (N.) from the town of Patrington; containing
Frodsham (St. Lawrence)
FRODSHAM (St. Lawrence), a market-town and
a parish, in the union of Runcorn, Second division of
the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of
Chester, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Preston-Brook, 10
(N. E. by N.) from Chester, and 192 (N. N. W.) from
London; comprising the lordship of Frodsham, and the
townships of Alvanley, Frodsham, Helsby, Kingsley,
Manley, Newton-by-Frodsham, and Norley; and containing 5821 inhabitants, of whom 1806 are in the
township, and 1022 in the lordship, of Frodsham. This
place is mentioned in Domesday book as the property of
the Earl of Chester. A charter was granted about
1220 by Ranulph de Blundeville, sixth earl, to the inhabitants of Frodsham, which was pleaded in answer to
a writ of Quo Warranto issued in the 22nd of Henry VII.,
and was confirmed in the 33rd of Henry VIII. and 21st
of Elizabeth; but the manor having been separated
from the earldom, about the beginning of the seventeenth century, the chartered privileges of the burgesses
The Town is situated on an eminence on the bank of
the river Weaver, near its confluence with the Mersey,
and consists of a broad street, a mile in length, extending along the road from Chester to Warrington, and
another branching from it and leading to the church.
At the east end is a stone bridge of four arches over the
Weaver, which is navigable here; and at the west end stood
a Norman castle. Courts leet and baron are held in the
spring and at Michaelmas. The lord of the manor, the
Marquess of Cholmondeley, has the tolls of a market
held on Saturday, and of two fairs, on the last Tuesday
in April, and the last Thursday in October; but the
market, owing to the vicinity of Warrington, is inconsiderable. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway has
a station at Preston-Brook. The parish (whose population is entirely agricultural) is 32¼ miles in circumference,
and contains about 15,000 acres, whereof 2169 are in
the township, and 2522 in the lordship, of Frodsham.
The Living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£23. 13. 11½.; net income, £590; patrons, the Dean
and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. There are 50
acres of glebe. The church stands on elevated ground,
in the village of Overton, is built of red freestone, and
appears to be of high antiquity, the nave displaying
traces of Norman architecture. At Alvanley is a church,
and at Norley another; and the Wesleyans have a place
of worship. A school, erected about 1660, near the
church, was rebuilt in 1824, and is supported by endowment; national schools for girls are maintained by
subscription, and various benefactions are distributed
among the poor.