GRAFTON, a township, in the parish of Tilston,
union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the
hundred of Broxton, S. division of Cheshire, 4½ miles
(N. W. by N.) from Malpas; containing 14 inhabitants.
It comprises 376 acres of land, of a clayey soil.
GRAFTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Beckford,
union of Winchcomb, hundred of Tibaldstone, E.
division of the county of Gloucester, 7 miles (N. E.
by E.) from Tewkesbury. The tithes were commuted
for land and a money payment in 1773. In 1764, in
consequence, it is supposed, of incessant rain, a tract of
16 acres of land fell from the side of Breedon hill, and
covered the fields at the base.
GRAFTON, a township, in the parish of All Saints,
Hereford, hundred of Webtree, union and county of
Hereford; containing 75 inhabitants, and comprising
an area of 428 acres.
GRAFTON, a township, in the parish of Langford,
union of Farringdon, hundred of Bampton, county of
Oxford, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Lechlade; containing
73 inhabitants. It comprises 615 acres, of which 219
are or were common: an act for inclosing lands was
passed in the year 1843. The tithes of the township
have been commuted for £144, of which £115 are payable to the vicar of the parish.
Grafton, with Marton.—See Marton.
GRAFTON, with Marton.—See Marton.
Grafton, East and West
GRAFTON, EAST and WEST, a tything, in the
parish of Great Bedwin, union of Hungerford,
hundred of Kinwardstone, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and N. divisions of Wilts, 7¾ miles (N.) from
Ludgershall; containing 419 inhabitants. Here was
anciently a chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas; and a district church, to the same saint, was consecrated in
April, 1844. It is a substantial edifice in the Norman
style, of Bath stone, and was erected chiefly through
the munificence of the Marquess of Ailesbury, who also
largely contributed to the endowment fund. The living
is in the gift of the Vicar.
Grafton, Flyford.—See Flyford-Grafton.
GRAFTON, FLYFORD.—See Flyford-Grafton.
GRAFTON-MANOR, an extra-parochial liberty, in
the Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 1¾
mile (W. S. W.) from Bromsgrove; containing 55 inhabitants. This was originally a chapelry within the
parish of Bromsgrove, and remained such until the reign
of Henry III., when it was annexed to the cathedral of
Worcester, and consequently became extra-parochial.
It comprises 1353a. 1r. 24p., of which 786 acres are
arable, 522 meadow, 41 wood, and nearly three water;
the surface is rather undulated, and the soil generally
heavy. The road from Birmingham to Worcester passes
through, and at Bromsgrove is a station of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. The ancient mansion of
the earls of Shrewsbury, here, was nearly destroyed by
fire in 1710; the only part now remaining entire is the
banqueting-room, which is alone sufficient to attest its
former splendour. A chapel shared the fate of the
mansion-house, and continued a roofless ruin until 1808,
when the late Earl of Shrewsbury restored it for Roman
Catholic worship; the restoration, however, having been
executed in a very inefficient manner, the edifice again
underwent a thorough repair in 1819, at the joint expense of the earl, the incumbent, and the congregation.
Benjamin Collett, Esq., has a lease of the mansion and
manorial rights for a considerable time.
Grafton-Regis (St. Mary)
GRAFTON-REGIS (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Potters-Pury, hundred of Cleley, S. division
of the county of Northampton, 4¾ miles (E. S. E.) from
Towcester; containing 266 inhabitants, and comprising
1351 acres. This place was erected into an honour in
the 23rd of Henry VIII., with jurisdiction, confirmed by
act of parliament, over an extensive tract partly in this
county and partly in Buckinghamshire. Edward IV.
was here privately married to Elizabeth, relict of Sir
John Grey, of Groby, and daughter of Sir Richard
Woodville, of whose family mansion at Grafton there are
still remains: Lady Crane resided in it during the parliamentary war, when it was garrisoned for the king.
The making of lace has been introduced of late years,
and is carried on to some extent. The parish lies on
the right bank of the river Tow; and the Grand Junction
canal, and the Stony-Stratford and Northampton road,
pass through it. The living is a discharged rectory, with
that of Alderton annexed, valued in the king's books at
£9. 9. 4½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £277. Grafton gives the title of Duke to the
Grafton, Temple (St. Andrew)
GRAFTON, TEMPLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in
the union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford division
of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the
county of Warwick, 3¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Alcester; containing, with the hamlet of Arden, 401 inhabitants. This place was given at the Conquest by William
to one of his adherents, and was possessed in the reign
of Henry III. by the Knights Templars; hence the prefix "Temple" to the name. The property was purchased at the Dissolution by the Sheldon family. The
parish comprises 1985 acres; the surface is hilly, the
soil clay, and there are quarries of excellent limestone,
producing also marble. At its eastern extremity it is
intersected by the road from Stratford to Alcester. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £93; patron,
F. F. Bullock, Esq.
Grafton-Underwood (St. James)
GRAFTON-UNDERWOOD (St. James), a parish,
in the union of Kettering, hundred of Huxloe, N.
division of the county of Northampton, 4¾ miles
(E. N. E.) from Kettering; containing 281 inhabitants.
The parish is bounded on the west by the small river
Ise, and comprises by estimation 1746a. 1r. 31p. The
females are employed in making pillow-lace. There are
some quarries of limestone, which is used for building
and for repairing the roads. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 3., and in the
patronage of the Fitzpatrick family; net income, £241.
The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1777; there are 10 acres of glebe, and a house.
GRAIG, a hamlet, in the parish of Bassaleg, union
and division of Newport, hundred of Wentlloog,
county of Monmouth; containing 589 inhabitants. A
school was endowed in 1676, and is further supported
by small payments from the children.
Grain, Isle of (St. James)
GRAIN, ISLE OF (St. James), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Hoo, lathe of Aylesford, W.
division of Kent, 1¾ mile (N. W. by W.) from Sheerness;
containing 337 inhabitants. This island, which is about
three miles and a half long, and two and a half broad,
is formed by the Thames on the north, the Medway on
the south, the junction of those two rivers on the east,
and Yantlet creek on the west. It comprises 3105 acres,
whereof 513 are common or waste land. There are salt
pans on that side bordering upon the Medway. In the
reign of Edward III., Yantlet creek, though now almost
choked up, was the usual passage for vessels trading to
and from London, which thus avoided a circuitous and
dangerous route; at present it is navigable, at spring
tides only, for barges. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £9. 11. 8.; net income, £298;
patron, the Rev. George Davies; impropriators, the
family of Tonge. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Grainsby (St. Nicholas)
GRAINSBY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Louth, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of
Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (S.) from Great
Grimsby; containing 103 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1120 acres, of which 55 are waste land or common. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £9. 18. 4., and in the gift of T. Sands,
Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £254. 10., and
the glebe comprises nearly 58 acres.
Grainthorpe (St. Clement)
GRAINTHORPE (St. Clement), a parish, in the
union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of
Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
8¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Louth; containing, with the
hamlets of Ludney and Wragholme, 556 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 3961a. 2r. 35p.: the surface is
flat, and the soil a rich strong clay; a large portion of
the land was formerly a marshy waste, but it has been
well drained and is under cultivation. The Louth canal
passes along the western boundary of the parish, and
joins the river Humber at Tetney Lock. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £115; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is a handsome structure in
the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower,
ornamented with eight pinnacles. There are places of
worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A
school was founded by Mr. George Lill, who in 1818
endowed it with the interest of £500.
GRAISLEY-GREEN, a tything, in the parish of
Sulhampstead-Abbott's, union of Bradfield, hundred of Reading, county of Berks, 3½ miles (S. S. W.)
from Reading; containing 75 inhabitants.
GRAIZELOUND, a hamlet, in the parish of Haxey,
union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake
of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln;
containing 210 inhabitants.
Grampound, or Grand-Pont
GRAMPOUND, or Grand-Pont, a tything, in the
parish of St. Aldate, Oxford, hundred of Hormer,
union of Abingdon, county of Berks; containing 374
inhabitants, and comprising 208 acres. In the time of
Edward I., the Crouched friars had a house here, given
to them by Richard Cary, sometime mayor of Oxford,
and which, about 1348, they quitted for a house and
chapel near the church of St. Peter's in the East.
GRAMPOUND, an incorporated market-town,
partly in the parish of
Probus, but chiefly in that
of Creed, union of St.
Austell, W. division of
the hundred of Powder
and of the county of Cornwall, 40 miles (S. W.) from
Launceston, and 247 (W. S.
W.) from London; containing 607 inhabitants. This
place is situated on the great
road from London through Plymouth, to the Land's
End, and on the declivity of a hill, at the foot of which
runs the river Fal. John of Eltham, Earl of Cornwall,
and brother of Edward III., in 1332 granted a guildmerchant to the burgesses, which included, besides
other privileges, the right of holding a market and two
fairs. The market, now inconsiderable, is on Saturday;
and fairs are held on January 18th, June 11th, and the
Tuesdays next after Lady-day and Michaelmas. The
corporation, which exists by prescription, consisted
until 1824 of a mayor, eight aldermen, a recorder, and
town-clerk. The mayor was elected on the Sunday
before Michaelmas, and he nominated two aldermen,
styled Elizers, who had the power to choose eleven
freemen, forming a jury, who made presentments, appointed persons to municipal offices, and possessed the
right of introducing new freemen, whose number was indefinite. The manor is held by the corporation under
the duchy of Cornwall, at a fee-farm rent of £12. 11. 4.
per annum. Grampound sent two members to parliament from the reign of Edward VI. till 1824, when, in
consequence of the discovery of corrupt practices among
the electors, an act of parliament was passed for disfranchising it. The chapel, dedicated to St. Nunn, having
fallen into ruins, was removed a few years since. In
1705, John Buller gave a sum of money, directing the
interest to be applied in teaching boys.
Seal and Arms.
Granborough (St. Peter)
GRANBOROUGH (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Rugby, Southam division of the hundred of
Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick,
3 miles (S.) from Dunchurch; containing, with the
hamlet of Woolscott, 532 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the left bank of the river Leam, equidistant
from Rugby, Daventry, and Southam, and comprises by
computation 4389 acres; the surface is varied, the
scenery generally of pleasing character, and the soil productive. Its south-eastern extremity is skirted by the
Oxford canal. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £185;
patron, Mrs. Halse; incumbent, the Rev. W. J. Wise.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1765; there is a
glebe of 65 acres, with a new glebe-house, in the Elizabethan style, built in 1844. The church is an ancient
structure, in the decorated style.
Granby (All Saints)
GRANBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union, and
N. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division
of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from
Bingham; containing 516 inhabitants. This parish,
including the hamlet of Sutton, comprises about 2000
acres; the soil is generally a strong clay, and the surface is hilly in some parts, and in others flat. There
are quarries of gypsum, of which plaster for flooring is
made for the use of the district; also abundance of clay
for bricks and tiles. The Grantham and Nottingham
canal passes within a mile of the village. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£6. 3. 6½.; net income, £123; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Rutland: the tithes were commuted
for land and a money payment in 1793; the glebe comprises 75 acres. The church is an ancient structure of
various periods, and contains some interesting details in
the early and later English styles. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans. Granby gives the title of Marquess to the Duke of Rutland.
Grandborough (St. John the Baptist)
GRANDBOROUGH (St. John the Baptist), a
parish, in the union of Winslow, hundred of Ashendon,
county of Buckingham, 1¾ mile (S.) from Winslow;
containing 345 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the
gift of the Crown, with a net income of £191: the tithes
were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1796. The
church was formerly a chapel of ease to the vicarage of
Winslow; it was pulled down in the civil war, by Cornelius Holland, the regicide, but rebuilt after the Restoration: a gallery was added in 1834.
Grange, with Claughton.—See Claughton.
GRANGE, with Claughton.—See Claughton.
Grange, with Adforton.—See Adforton.
GRANGE, with Adforton.—See Adforton.
Grange, or Grench
GRANGE, or Grench, a hamlet, and a member
of the port of Hastings, in the parish of Gillingham,
union of Medway, locally in the hundred of Chatham
and Gillingham, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of
Kent, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Chatham; containing 157
inhabitants. Here was anciently a chapel.
Gransden, Great (St. Bartholomew)
GRANSDEN, GREAT (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred
of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 7¼ miles (S. E.
by E.) from St. Neot's; containing 622 inhabitants. The
parish comprises 3360 acres, of which 515 are common,
and the remainder arable; the soil in the lower lands is
loam, resting on gravel or sand, and in other places
clayey. Ironstone is found in some parts; and throughout the parish are scattered many diluvial remains, consisting of primitive and secondary rocks, numerous fossils, mineralized wood and vegetables, and the vertebræ
of the ichthyosaurus. An inclosure act was passed in
1843. The village is situated on the declivity of a hill
at the southern extremity of the parish. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£5. 7. 3½.; net income, £200; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge.
There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school
was built by subscription in 1664, and endowed under
the will of the Rev. B. Oley, then vicar, with £20 per
Gransden, Little (St. Peter and St. Paul)
GRANSDEN, LITTLE (St. Peter and St. Paul),
a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Longstow, county of Cambridge, 3 miles
(S. W.) from Caxton; containing 273 inhabitants. The
living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of
Ely, valued in the king's books at £18. 15. 2½.; net income, £201: the tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1813. The church has been lately
rebuilt. A school in union with the National Society is
endowed with £11 per annum.
GRANSMOOR, a township, in the parish of Burton-Agnes, union of Bridlington, wapentake of
Dickering, E. riding of York, 7½ miles (E. by N.) from
Driffield; containing 90 inhabitants. It comprises about
1400 acres, the property of W. D. Thornton Duesbery,
Esq., of Skelton, near York, who is lord of the manor.
The tithes have been commuted for £171 payable to the
vicar, and £190 to the Archbishop of York. A schoolroom has been built at Mr. Duesbery's expense, in which
the service of the Church of England is performed every
Grantchester (St. Mary and St. Andrew)
GRANTCHESTER (St. Mary and St. Andrew),
a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of
Wetherley, county of Cambridge, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.)
from Cambridge; containing 606 inhabitants. This is
said to have been the Camboritum of Antonine, situated
on the banks of the Granta, now the river Cam; the
present Saxon name confirming the opinion of its having
been the site of a Roman station. About the year 700,
according to Bede, "Grantchester was a desolate little
city, near the walls of which was found a beautiful
coffin of white marble." Dr. Cay supposes the station
to have extended not only as far as Cambridge, but
northward, beyond the castle; and foundations of buildings have been frequently discovered between the village
of Grantchester and the town of Cambridge, which latter
is thought to have risen out of the ruins of the station.
The parish comprises by measurement 1498 acres. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £7. 14. 4½.; net income, £291; patrons, the
President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1799; the glebe comprises 105 acres.
The church was erected early in the 15th century; a
portion of the interior is remarkably light and elegant.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.