GUNTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Owston,
poor-law union of Gainsborough, W. division of the
wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of
Lincoln; containing 117 inhabitants.
Gunthorpe (St. Mary)
GUNTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of
Norfolk, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Holt; containing
334 inhabitants. It comprises 1087a. 1r. 13p., of which
779 acres are arable, 178 pasture and meadow, and 41
woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, with that
of Bale annexed, valued in the king's books at £13;
patron, lord of the manor, and incumbent, the Rev. J. H.
Sparke, who resides at the Hall: the tithes have been
commuted for £310. 18., and the glebe comprises 23
acres. The church, which is chiefly in the later English
style, consists of a nave and chancel, a north chapel, and
a square embattled tower; the font is curiously sculptured: in the chapel are neat monuments to members
of the Collyer family.
GUNTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Paston,
union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the
county of Northampton, 3½ miles (N. by W.) from
Peterborough; containing 64 inhabitants.
GUNTHORPE, a township, in the parish of Lowdham, union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 7¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Nottingham; containing
349 inhabitants. The river Trent is here crossed by a
ferry. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
GUNTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Penistone, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York,
7½ miles (W.) from Barnsley; containing 66 inhabitants.
The township comprises by computation 1100 acres,
south of the road from Cawthorne to Cumberworth, and
east of that from Huddersfield to Sheffield.
Gunton (St. Andrew)
GUNTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Aylsham;
containing 69 inhabitants. The parish comprises 945a.
5p., of which 683 acres are meadow and pasture, 206
woodland, and about 5 arable. Gunton House, the seat
of Lord Suffield, is a noble mansion of white brick,
standing on an eminence commanding a beautiful view
of the undulated grounds and varied scenery of the
park, which is of vast extent, and planted with fine
trees. The road through the park to Thorpe passes
under the arch of an elegant tower, upwards of 120
feet high. The living is a discharged rectory, with the
vicarage of Hanworth and rectory of Suffield consolidated, valued in the king's books at £8; patron, and impropriator of Hanworth, Lord Suffield. The tithes of
Gunton have been commuted for £100, and there are 29
acres of glebe. The church is picturesquely situated in
the park, opposite the principal front of the mansion;
it was rebuilt, with a portico of the Doric order, by Sir
William Harbord, ancestor of Lord Suffield.
Gunton (St. Peter)
GUNTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of
Mutford and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk,
1½ mile (N. by W.) from Lowestoft; containing 77 inhabitants, and comprising 803 acres. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.,
and in the gift of Mrs. Mary S. Fowler: the tithes have
been commuted for £145, and the glebe contains 9 acres.
The church has a round tower, and some details of
Gunville, Tarrant, in the county of Dorset.—See Tarrant-Gunville.
GUNVILLE, TARRANT, in the county of Dorset.
Gunwalloe (St. Wynwallow)
GUNWALLOE (St. Wynwallow), a parish, in the
union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (S.) from
Helston; containing 298 inhabitants. The parish is on
the shore of Mount's bay, and comprises 1328 acres, of
which 184 are waste land or common. The old living
is a vicarage, annexed, with the livings of Cury and
Germoe, to the vicarage of Breage. A perpetual curacy
has been lately founded for the parishes of Gunwalloe
and Cury. The church is an ancient edifice with a low
detached tower, occupying a romantic situation close to
the sea. Here is a place of worship for dissenters.
Gussage (All Saints)
GUSSAGE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Knowlton,
Wimborne division of Dorset, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from
Cranborne; containing, with the hamlet of Mannington,
390 inhabitants. It comprises 2441 acres, whereof 673
are waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £6. 3. 9.: the tithes have been
commuted for £580, out of which a rent-charge of £480
is paid to the Archdeacon of Dorset, who has a glebe of
60 acres, and is also patron; and one of £100 to the
vicar, whose glebe comprises 10 acres.
Gussage (St. Andrew)
GUSSAGE (St. Andrew), a chapelry, in the parish
of Handley, union of Wimborne and Cranborne,
hundred of Sixpenny-Handley, Wimborne division of
Dorset, 6¼ miles (W. by N.) from Cranborne; containing, with Minchington tything, 163 inhabitants.
Gussage (St. Michael)
GUSSAGE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Badbury,
though locally in the hundred of Knowlton, Wimborne
division of Dorset, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Cranborne;
containing, with the hamlet of Sutton, 280 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 2882 acres, of which 64 are waste
land or common. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £20. 0. 2½.; net income, £393; patron,
Lord Portman. The church is a handsome edifice, with
a lofty embattled tower. On the line of the London
road, near Cashmore inn, is the easternmost of seven
earthworks, supposed to have been thrown up by the
Belgæ across the road between this and Tarrant-Hinton,
and which afford reason for the opinion that the neighbourhood was the scene of some remarkable action in
the time of the ancient Britons.
Guston (St. Martin)
GUSTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of
Dovor, hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (N. by E.) from
Dovor; containing 237 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1400 acres, of which about 1000 are arable, 30
woodland, and the remainder meadow and pasture. The
road from Dovor to Deal passes through it. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop
of Canterbury, the appropriator; net income, £66. The
church is an ancient building of flints. There is a small
place of worship for dissenters.
GUTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Brandistone,
union of St. Faith, hundred of Eynsford, E. division
of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Reepham.
This place, written Gutheketuna in Domesday book, was
at the period of the survey a considerable town, though
now merely a rural hamlet, entirely destitute of note.
Guy's Cliff, Leek-Wootton.—See Warwick.
GUY'S CLIFF, Leek-Wootton.—See Warwick.
Guyson, or Guyzance
GUYSON, or Guyzance, an extra-parochial district,
in the union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8½ miles (S.
by E.) from Alnwick; containing, with Brainshaugh, 205
inhabitants. A priory was founded here some time in
the twelfth century, by Richard Tyson, and afterwards
annexed to the abbey of Alnwick, by Eustace Fitz-John; its revenue, in the Lincoln taxation of temporalities, was valued at £3. 15. 4. per annum. The place
is the property of the Duke of Northumberland. The
river Coquet winds in a very devious course on the
south of the village, which is of neat appearance; and
about a mile distant is Bank House, a handsome mansion, embosomed in plantations.
Guyting, Lower, or Guyting-Power (St. Michael)
GUYTING, LOWER, or Guyting-Power (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower
division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of
the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from
Winchcomb; containing, with the chapelry of Farmcote, 672 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 19. 5.; net income, £124; patron and impropriator, J. Walker, Esq.:
the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1798. The church is in the Norman style.
There is a chapel of ease at Farmcote.
Guyting, Temple (St. Mary)
GUYTING, TEMPLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred
of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
5 miles (E. by S.) from Winchcomb; containing 523
inhabitants, and comprising 5700a. 3r. 20p. Stone is
quarried, chiefly for building purposes. There was a
fulling-mill in the parish in the reign of Edward III.,
which is said to have been the first established in the
county on the introduction of the cloth manufacture.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £94;
patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of
Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for
land and corn-rents in 1804; there are 16 acres of
glebe here, and 12 acres in the parish of Chipping-Norton, with a parsonage-house in good repair. The church,
a small handsome edifice with a lofty embattled tower
at the west end, was probably built by the Knights
Templars (who possessed the manor in the thirteenth
century), and is in excellent preservation.
GWEEK, a small port, in the hundred of Kerrier,
W. division of Cornwall, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from
Helston. The pilchard-fishery is carried on extensively,
200 boats being employed in taking the fish, which are
cured in the various creeks and coves within the limits
of the port. In addition to the fishery, the chief trade
consists in the exportation of copper-ore, corn, moorstone, and oysters, and the importation of timber, coal,
GWEHELLOG, a hamlet, in the parish of Usk,
union of Pont-y-Pool, division and hundred of Usk,
county of Monmouth; containing 356 inhabitants. It
occupies the north-eastern portion of the parish.
Gwennap (St. Wenap)
GWENNAP (St. Wenap), a parish, in the union of
Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W.
division of Cornwall, 8 miles (E.) from Truro; containing, with the chapelry of St. Day, 10,794 inhabitants. This parish abounds with copper and tin mines,
worked upon a very extensive scale. Here are the Consolidated Mines, the largest in the kingdom; and the
Tresavean mine, the proprietors of which share among
them £30,000 per annum, after deducting all expenses,
which may be regarded as a profit of £300 per annum
on every original share of £25. The value of the produce of these and other mines in the parish, in 1840,
was £293,218, and the total produce of the whole county
in the same year amounted only to £819,949. In 1834,
an act was obtained for making a railway from Hayle,
in the parish of St. Erth, to the Tresavean mine, with
several branches; and there are railways communicating
with the north coast at Portreath, and with the south
coast at Devran. Scorier House, the property of John
Williams, Esq., contains a fine assortment of Cornish
minerals, collected by that gentleman within the last 40
years, and valued at £30,000. The parish comprises
6565 acres, whereof 1641 are waste land or common.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £16. 18. 11½.; patrons and appropriators, the
Dean and Chapter of Exeter: the great tithes have been
commuted for £255, and the vicarial for £420: the
glebe consists of 69 acres. The church is an ancient
structure in the Norman style, with a detached tower;
a gallery has been erected, by which 200 free sittings
have been provided. At St. Day is a chapel, to which
a district was assigned in 1835; and at Lannarth is a
church dedicated to Christ. There are places of worship
for Baptists, Bryanites, and Wesleyans. On the southwest side of Gwennap Pit is a mountain called Karn
Marth, upon whose summit is a large stone tumulus, or
barrow, out of which two British urns were taken in
1789. On a mountain opposite to it, named Trebowling,
is a very strong fortification, inclosing about an acre of
ground encompassed by a ditch and rampart, nearly 20
feet high. There is also a very singular encampment in
the grounds of Scorier House.
Gwernesney (St. Michael)
GWERNESNEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Pont-y-Pool, division and hundred of Usk,
county of Monmouth, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Usk;
containing 55 inhabitants. It is situated on the new
road from Usk to Chepstow, and comprises by computation 600 acres. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £2. 18. 6½.; net income,
£112; patron, the Duke of Beaufort.
Gwinear (St. Winnear)
GWINEAR (St. Winnear), a parish, in the union
of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Penwith,
W. division of Cornwall, 3¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from
Camborne; containing 2862 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 4618 acres, of which 164 are waste land or
common; the soil varies from a light friable mould to a
heavy clay, occasionally covered with pebbles of white
spar. There are several copper-mines, the principal of
which, called Herland, produces also native silver. The
chief villages are Cattebidrew, Drannock, Fraddam,
Penhal, Tregortha, and Wall. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £12; patron, the Bishop
of Exeter; impropriators, the Rector and Fellows of
Exeter College, Oxford: the great tithes have been commuted for £483, and the vicarial for £284; the glebe
comprises 34 acres. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. A quantity of Roman copper and silver
coins was found about thirty years since, in digging
for manure on the estate of Trungle; and in 1830, coins
of Constantinus Tyrannicus, Flavius Julius, and Faustina, were discovered in an old fortification at Coswinsawsen.
Gwithian (St. Gothian)
GWITHIAN (St. Gothian), a parish, in the union
of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Penwith,
W. division of Cornwall, 7½ miles (W.) from Redruth;
containing 625 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2074
acres, of which 300 are waste land or common; it is
situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel, and intersected by the river Gwithian, which falls into St. Ives
bay at a short distance from the bridge. A considerable
portion of the land is covered with sand drifted from
the shore in violent gales; and at no great distance from
the church, an ancient chapel and some houses were
overwhelmed, which, on the recent drifting of the sand,
have been exposed to view. Several mines were formerly worked in the parish, at shallow levels, the lodes
of which were extensive; but with the exception of
Wheal St. Andrew, which is still in operation, they have
been discontinued. There are quarries of building-stone;
and a singular kind of sandstone is found, which is
esteemed by geologists as a great curiosity, and is used
instead of bricks in the construction of chimneys. The
living is a rectory annexed to that of Phillack: the
tithes have been commuted for £234. 19. 6. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans. Some remains exist of
two moats of extensive earthworks, called Trevarnon
Rounds, within which were found some cannon-balls,
now in the possession of the rector.
GYHIRN, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Mary,
Wisbech, union and hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely,
county of Cambridge, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from March;
containing 332 inhabitants. It lies on the north bank
of the river Nene, and on the road from Wisbech to
March. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£80; patron, the Vicar of Wisbech. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a simple structure, built