Haughton-Le-Skerne (St. Andrew)
HAUGHTON-LE-SKERNE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Darlington, partly in the S. E.
division of Darlington ward, and partly in the S. W.
division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of
Durham, 1¾ mile (N. E. by E.) from Darlington; containing, with the townships of Great Burdon, Barmpton,
Morton-Palms, Whessoe, and Coatham-Mundeville, and
the chapelry of Sadberge, 1518 inhabitants, of whom
576 are in the township of Haughton. This parish is
situated on the river Skerne, a tributary to the Tees,
and comprises 10,215 acres, of which 1903 are within
the township; of these latter about 1000 are arable and
in cultivation, 839 meadow and pasture, 18 wood and
plantations, and the remainder roads and waste. The
surface is nearly level, and the scenery, in some parts
enriched with wood, is generally of pleasing character;
the soil varies from a light gravel to a retentive clay.
The village forms one long and spacious street, neatly
built, and there are several handsome houses, the residence of opulent families. The Stockton and Darlington railway passes through part of the township for
about a mile and a quarter. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £53. 6. 8., and in the
patronage of the Bishop of Durham; the tithes have
been commuted for £1011. 17. 6.; the glebe comprises
250 acres. The church is an ancient stucture, chiefly in
the Norman style of architecture, with a square tower;
but it has suffered much from injudicious alterations.
There is a chapel of ease at Sadberge. The Wesleyans
have a place of worship. Bishop Butler, author of the
Analogy, was rector of the parish prior to his elevation
to the see of Durham.
Haukswell, or Hauxwell (St. Oswald)
HAUKSWELL, or Hauxwell (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Leyburn, wapentake of HangWest, N. riding of York, 5 miles (S.) from Richmond;
containing, with the townships of Barden and Garriston,
338 inhabitants, of whom 128 are in the township of
East, and 45 in that of West, Haukswell. The parish
comprises about 3750 acres, of which 500 or 600 are
moorland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £20. 14. 4½., and in the patronage of Mrs.
M. Gale; net income, £295. The church, which is in
the Norman style, stands at a distance from the village,
and consists of a nave and a narrow choir.
Haulgh, with Tonge.—See Tonge.
HAULGH, with Tonge.—See Tonge.
Haultwick, or Artic
HAULTWICK, or Artic, a hamlet, partly in the
parish of Great Munden, but chiefly in that of Little
Munden, union of Ware, hundred of Broadwater,
county of Hertford; containing 202 inhabitants.
HAUNTON, a township, in the parish of CliftonCampville, union of Tamworth, N. division of the
hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4½
miles (N. N. E.) from Tamworth; containing 197 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Harlaston to CliftonCampville, from which latter village it is distant westward about a mile. The river Mease flows on the
Hautbois, Great (St. Theobald)
HAUTBOIS, GREAT (St. Thebold), a parish, in
the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham,
E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N. W. by N.) from
Coltishall; containing 162 inhabitants. The parish is
bounded on the west by the river Bure, which is navigable from Yarmouth to Aylsham; and comprises 611
acres, whereof 505 are arable, 84 pasture and meadow,
and 7 common. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8., and in the gift
of Samuel Bignold, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted
for £214, and the glebe comprises 13 acres. The church
is in the early English style, with a round tower, and
contains a Norman font of curious design. Here was a
chantry, founded and endowed by John Parham; and a
Maison Dieu, for a master and poor persons, was founded
at the head of what was called Hautbois Causeway, for
the reception of poor travellers, about the reign of
Henry III., by Sir Peter de Alto Bosco, Knt., and dedicated to the Virgin Mary: it was subordinate to the
hospital at Horning.
Hautbois, Little (St. Mary)
HAUTBOIS, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham,
E. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from
Coltishall; containing 42 inhabitants. The living is a
discharged rectory, united to that of Lammas, valued in
the king's books at £7. The Hall, an ancient building
in the Elizabethan style, has been converted into a
farmhouse; and there are no remains of the church.
HAUXLEY, a township, in the parish of Warkworth, union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 10½ miles (S.
E.) from Alnwick; containing 457 inhabitants, partly
fishermen. The township comprises 740 acres, of which
two-thirds are arable, and 10 acres plantation; the soil
is of very good quality, and the surface is level, with a
gentle ascent, whereon the village stands, commanding
a beautiful view of the German Ocean, including Coquet
Island. On the coast are dangerous reefs of rocks,
stretching far into the sea, where many vessels were
annually lost, till the erection of a lighthouse on Coquet
Island, in 1841, since which wrecks have been comparatively of rare occurrence. The Radcliffe colliery, here,
producing an excellent steam-coal, was opened in 1838,
at an expense for the "winning," with other charges, of
£200,000; it employs about 200 hands, and is worked
by Mr. Ladbrooke and partners, lessees of the Countess
of Newburgh, who, as lady of the manor, receives a
yearly rent of £600. The tithes have been commuted
for £34. 4. 3. payable to the vicar, and £104. 12. 7. to
the Bishop of Carlisle. At Radcliffe terrace is a place
of worship for Wesleyans.
Hauxton (St. Edmund)
HAUXTON (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of
Chesterton, hundred of Thriplow, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Cambridge; containing 313 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Newton, valued in the king's books at
£6. 16.; patrons and appropriators, Dean and Chapter
of Ely. The church is principally in the Norman style.
Havant (St. Faith)
HAVANT (St. Faith), a market-town, parish, and
liberty, and the head of a union, in the Fareham and
S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 21¼ miles
(E. by S.) from Southampton, and 64 (S. W.) from
London; containing, with the tythings of Brockhampton
and Leigh, 2101 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the road from Southampton and Fareham to
Chichester, is neatly built, and consists principally of
one long street, intersected by another at right angles;
it is partially paved, and well supplied with water.
There are a subscription newsroom and a book club.
The manufacture of parchment is carried on to some
extent. In 1824 a swing-bridge was erected, at an
expense of nearly £12,000, across the channel which
connects Langston harbour with that of Chichester,
thus affording a communication with Hayling Island,
which lies about a mile to the south of Havant; and
in 1840, a new quay was constructed on the Portsmouth
side of the bridge, which has tended much to the increase of the trade in coal and timber. Vessels of 200
tons' burthen enter Langston harbour with coal, oysters,
&c. There is direct railway communication, on the
west, with Portsmouth and with Fareham, and on the
east with Chichester. The market, granted by King
John, and held on Saturday, having become inconsiderable, was made a pitched corn-market in Jan. 1832,
since which time it has increased: there are fairs on
June 22nd and Oct. 17th. The parish comprises 2742
acres, of which 1000 are waste or common. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 6. 0½.,
and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes
have been commuted for £670, the glebe contains 8
acres. The church is a cruciform structure with a tower
rising from the intersection, in the early English style,
and was repaired in 1832, at an expense of £900, towards defraying which the bishop contributed £50, and
the Incorporated Society £220; the chancel has a handsome groined ceiling, and at the east end a painted
window has been put up, the gift of Sir G. T. Staunton:
the church contains a brass to one of the rectors, who
died in 1413. At Redhill is a district incumbency, in
the gift of the Rectors of Havant and Warblington,
alternately. There are places of worship for Independents, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The poor law
union comprises 6 parishes or places, and, according to
the census of 1841, contains 6642 inhabitants.
HAVEN-with-the-Headland, a township, in the
parish of Dilwyn, poor law union of Weobley, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford; containing
HAVEN-BANK, an extra-parochial liberty, locally
in the parish of Coningsby, in the union and soke of
Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln;
containing 39 inhabitants.
HAVENGORE-MARSH, an extra-parochial liberty,
in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of
Essex, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Rochford; containing
18 inhabitants, and comprising 262 acres of land.
HAVERAH-PARK, an extra-parochial liberty, in
the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding
of York, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Knaresborough;
containing 101 inhabitants. This liberty, which comprises nearly 2000 acres, was anciently a royal chase in
the forest of Knaresborough.
HAVERBRACK, a township, in the parish of Beetham, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Milnthorpe; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises 602 acres, of which
195 are waste land or common, and includes within its
limits Dallam Tower, the elegant seat of George Wilson,
Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £58 payable
to the impropriator, £3. 10. to Beetham grammar school,
and £2. 2. to the vicar.
Havercroft, with Cold Hiendley
HAVERCROFT, with Cold Hiendley, a township,
in the parish of Felkirk, wapentake of Staincross,
W. riding of York, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Barnsley; containing 141 inhabitants, of whom 94 are in
Havercroft. The township comprises 1334 acres, of
which 926 are in the manor of Havercroft, and 408 in
Cold Hiendley. It includes a portion of the reservoir
of the Barnsley canal, which passes through; the reservoir is situated in a deep valley, and covers about
120 acres. The village of Havercroft is on an eminence,
commanding some extensive prospects. The substratum
abounds with freestone, which is extensively quarried.
Tithe rent-charges have been awarded, of which £19. 14.
are payable to the vicar, and £174. 2. 10. to the Archbishop of York.
HAVERGATE-ISLAND, an extra-parochial place,
in the union and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division
of the county of Suffolk; containing 12 inhabitants,
and comprising 260 acres of land.
Haverhill (St. Mary)
HAVERHILL (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Risbridge, partly in the hundred
of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, but chiefly in the
hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 20 miles
(S. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's, and 56 (N. N. E.) from
London; containing 2451 inhabitants, of whom 2152
are in Suffolk. This place was formerly of greater extent than it is at present: it had a castle, of which the
only memorial is preserved in the name of a farm now
occupying the site; and tradition reports the existence
of a second church, of which there are no traces. The
greater part of the town was destroyed by fire in 1665,
from the effects of which, though it has recently experienced some improvements, it has not entirely recovered. It is pleasantly situated in a valley, and consists of one spacious street, nearly a mile in length, the
eastern extremity being in Essex, and the southern in
Suffolk; many of the houses have been rebuilt, and the
town is amply supplied with water. The manufacture
of fustians, formerly carried on, has been superseded by
that of an article called "drabbet," used for loose frocks
worn by labourers, and in making which about 500
persons are employed. An extensive ale and porter
brewery was established in 1800. In 1813, Mr. Richard
Roberts introduced the manufacture of silk; and many
hands are engaged in the manufacture of straw-plat.
The market is on Friday; and fairs are held on May
12th for cattle and toys, and October 10th for toys only.
The powers of the county debt-court of Haverhill, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of
Risbridge, and two adjacent parishes. Constables, aletasters, and other officers, are annually appointed at the
court held for the manor. The parish comprises about
2500 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £6. 5.; patron, Sir G. H. W.
Beaumont, Bart.; impropriator, J. Sperling, Esq.: the
great tithes have been commuted for £656. 14. 6., and
the vicarial for £220. The church is a large ancient
structure. There are places of worship for Baptists and
Independents; and a national school supported by subscription. Numerous coins have been dug up in the
HAVERHOLME-PRIORY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Flaxwell, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4 miles
(N. E.) from Sleaford; containing 22 inhabitants. It
consists of an island, formed by the river Slea, and contains about 300 acres. Here was a priory of nuns and
canons of the strict order of St. Gilbert of Sempringham,
founded in 1139; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was
estimated at £88. 5. 5.
Havering-Atte-Bower (St. John the Evangelist)
HAVERING-ATTE-BOWER (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the liberty of Havering-AtteBower, union of Romford, S. division of Essex, 3 miles
(N.) from Romford; containing 427 inhabitants. This
place was held in demesne by the Saxon kings, and was
the favourite residence of Edward the Confessor, who
built a palace here, which was visited by Henry VIII.
and by Queen Elizabeth, and of which there are still
some vestiges. The name is derived from a ring given
to the Confessor by a pilgrim, according to a legendary
tale, the particulars of which are recorded in bassorelievo on a screen which separates the chapel of Edward from the altar in Westminster Abbey. The parish
comprises by computation 4290 acres; the scenery is
beautiful, and the views embrace the Thames, with the
shipping, and considerable portions of Kent and Surrey.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £75;
patron, Charles Ellis Heaton, Esq. The church, supposed to have been the chapel attached to the ancient
palace, was in 1836 thoroughly repaired, at an expense
of nearly £500, voluntarily contributed by the inhabitants; a chancel was added, a gallery built, and a vestry
formed: the font is very large, and of great antiquity.
Haveringland, or Haverland (St. Peter)
HAVERINGLAND, or Haverland (St. Peter),
a parish, in the union of St. Faith, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (S. E. by E.)
from Reepham; containing 160 inhabitants. Haveringland Hall is a noble mansion, lately erected of Bath
stone, in the Corinthian style; the park contains some
very fine trees, especially of oak, birch, and Spanish
chesnut. The living is a vicarage, now sequestrated,
valued in the king's books at £4. 12. 1.; net income,
£63; patron and impropriator, Edward Fellowes, Esq.
The church, which is picturesquely situated in the park,
is in the later English style, and consists of a nave
and north aisle, with a circular tower. Here was a
chapel dedicated to St. Lawrence, founded by William
Gisneto, and afterwards given to the convent of Wymondham, to which it became a cell for a prior and