Heath, with Reach
HEATH, with Reach, a chapelry, in the parish and
union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead,
county of Bedford, 2 miles (N. by E.) from LeightonBuzzard; containing 856 inhabitants, of whom 561 are
in Heath. It comprises 2395 acres, of which 306 are
waste land or common. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of the Vicar of Leighton-Buzzard;
net income, £98. The chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard,
has been enlarged with 160 sittings. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
Heath (All Saints)
HEATH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of
the county of Derby, 5¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Chesterfield; containing 402 inhabitants. It lies on the
road from Nottingham to Sheffield, and comprises 1607
acres. Coal-mines are wrought. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the
king's books at £4. 18. 9., and in the gift of the Duke
of Devonshire: the tithes have been commuted for £230,
and the glebe comprises 5 acres, with a good house.
The church has portions in the Norman style. There is
an endowed school.
Heath, with Jay
HEATH, with Jay, a township, in the parish of
Leintwardine, union of Ludlow, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 8 miles (W.) from Ludlow;
containing 55 inhabitants.
Heath, or Hethe (St. George and St. Edmund)
HEATH, or Hethe (St. George and St. Edmund),
a parish, in the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Bicester; containing 380 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 970 acres, of which 800 are arable, 133
pasture, and 37 woodland. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £164. There are
places of worship for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.
HEATH, a chapelry, in the parish of Stoke-St.
Milborough, union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 9 miles (N. E. by N.) from
Ludlow; containing 63 inhabitants.
Heath, Yorkshire.—See Warmfield.
HEATH, Yorkshire.—See Warmfield.
Heath-Charnock.—See Charnock, Heath.
HEATH-CHARNOCK.—See Charnock, Heath.
Heath, Upper, and Nether
HEATH, UPPER, and NETHER, a township, in
the parish of Worthen, hundred of Chirbury, S.
division of Salop; containing 546 inhabitants.
Heather (St. John)
HEATHER (St. John), a parish, in the union of
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4½ miles (S. S. E.)
from Ashby; containing 368 inhabitants. Here was a
commandery of Knights Hospitallers of St. John of
Jerusalem, to which Ralph Gresley, in the reign of
Henry II., gave the church and lands of the place; the
only vestige at present remaining of the building is
some wainscoting in the manor-house, which was
erected on the site. The revenue was estimated at
£39. 1. 5., and, together with the site, was granted, in
the reign of Edward VI., to Oliver St. John and Robert
Thornton. The parish comprises by measurement 1012
acres, of which about two-fifth parts are arable, and
the remainder pasture and meadow; the soil is a
light sandy loam, with a small portion of deep rich
loam. Collieries have been worked for more than 200
years. The Ashby canal passes within two, and the
Leicester and Swannington railway within three, miles.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £7. 17. 8.; net income, £377; patron and
impropriator, the Rev. G. Belcher. The church was reopened in July 1847, after having undergone numerous
improvements; the chancel has been rebuilt, a tower
erected, and a north aisle added. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
HEATHERYCLEUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of
Stanhope, union of Weardale, N. W. division of
Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 10 miles (W.) from Stanhope. This place, which
is situated on the road to Alston, abounds in mineral
wealth; ten lead-mines are at present in operation, and
there are extensive quarries of flag and other kinds of
stone. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£120; patron, the Rector of Stanhope: the glebe comprises 8 acres. The church, the last of those erected
by Bishop Barrington, is a neat plain edifice, consecrated
in 1823. Here are two places of worship for Primitive,
and one for Wesleyan, Methodists; and some national
schools supported by endowment. The chapelry contains
two mineral springs, and the mines abound with very
beautiful and valuable spar.
Heathfield (St. John the Baptist)
HEATHFIELD (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and
Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 5¼ miles
(W. N. W.) from Taunton; containing 146 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£9. 1. 8., and in the gift of the family of Cornish: the
tithes have been commuted for £178, and the glebe
comprises 62 acres.
Heathfield (All Saints)
HEATHFIELD (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Hailsham, hundred of Hawkesborough, rape of
Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from
Uckfield; containing 1971 inhabitants. This is distinguished as the scene of a severe battle in the year
635, between Cadwallo, and Edwin of Northumbria
and his son Osfrid, on a spot since named Slaughter
Common, in which both Edwin and his son were slain;
and also as the scene of a conflict in 1450, when the
noted rebel Jack Cade was killed by Alexander Iden,
sheriff of Kent. In that part of the village where the
rebel fell, since called Cade-street, a monument recording the event was erected by the late Francis Newbery,
Esq.; who, also, in commemoration of the defeat of the
combined armaments of France and Spain at Gibraltar
by General Elliot, afterwards Lord Heathfield, erected
a lofty tower, from the summit of which a view over the
surrounding country is obtained to the distance of fifty
miles. The parish is situated on the road from Battle
to Uckfield, and comprises 6117 acres, of which about
140 are hop-grounds, and 429 common or waste; the
surface is beautifully diversified with hill and dale. The
river Cuckmere has its source in Heathfield Park. Ironore is found in abundance, and cannon were formerly
cast, but no works are carried on at present. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10,
and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chichester: the
tithes have been commuted for £862. 5., of which £400
are payable to the Ecclesiastical Commission, and
£462. 5. to the vicar; the former has 18, and the latter
17, acres of glebe. The church is a spacious structure,
partly in the early and partly in the decorated English
style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a
spire, and contains a handsome monument to General
Elliot. There is a place of worship for Independents.
HEATHPOOL, a township, in the parish of KirkNewton, union, and W. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland; containing
51 inhabitants, and comprising upwards of 1022 acres,
in a mountainous district. It was the property of Lord
Collingwood, the celebrated naval commander, in right of
his wife, a daughter of J. E. Blackett, Esq., of Newcastle.
Here are the remains of a border tower.
Heathwaite, Lancashire.—See Woodland.
HEATHWAITE, Lancashire.—See Woodland.
HEATHY-LEE, a township, in the parish of Alstonfield, union of Leek, N. division of the hundred
of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 2¾
miles (W. by N.) from Longnor; containing 633 inhabitants. This is a moorland township comprising 5487
acres, and includes the village of Hardings-Booth, two
miles west of Longnor; and the scattered districts of
Broncott, Morredge-Top, Middle-Hills, Longnor-Mill,
Downsdale, and some others on the banks of the Manyfold river.
Heaton, with Oxcliffe
HEATON, with Oxcliffe, a township, in the parish
of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the
Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (W. by S.)
from Lancaster; containing 149 inhabitants. In the
reign of Edward I., Heaton was held under the earls of
Lincoln, and Oxcliffe under the earls of Lancaster. In
the 47th of Edward III., the lord of Heaton cum Oxcliffe paid a reasonable aid of 10s. towards the marriage
of the eldest daughter of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster; and in the 51st of the same reign, William de
Heton, descended from very early benefactors of the
abbey of Furness, made grants of land in "Heton." The
manor passed at a subsequent period to the Catterels,
and from them to the De Brockholes. The principal
proprietors now are, Thomas Fitzherbert Brockholes,
Esq., of Claughton Hall, and Mrs. John Ford, of Ellel
Hall. The township is situated on the banks of the
Lune, and comprises 1972 acres, whereof 279 are marsh
land. The tithes have been commuted for £245. 10.
payable to the impropriator, and £122. 15. to the incumbent of Overton.
HEATON, a township, in the parish of Deane,
union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of
Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Bolton; containing 713 inhabitants. In the 32nd of Edward I.,
Richard de Hulton had a charter of free warren in his
demesne lands here. The township comprises 1630
acres; it is bounded on the south by the Croal rivulet,
and the road from Bolton to Chorley passes through its
northern part. Coal, slate, and stone are abundant.
The property belongs exclusively to H. Tempest, Esq.
HEATON, a township, in the parish of All Saints,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, union of Newcastle, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland,
2 miles (N. E.) from Newcastle; containing 450 inhabitants. This township, which is within the limits of
the borough, is separated from the township of Jesmond
by the Ouse burn, and comprises about 924 acres of
good arable, meadow, and pasture, interspersed with
tracts of sand and peat-moss. The manor, in 1628, belonged to the family of Babington, of Harnham. Heaton
Hall, built in 1713, and greatly improved by Sir Matthew
White Ridley, is a handsome mansion. Here is a station on the Newcastle and North Shields railway, which
passes through the township by a tunnel and an excavation. The tithes have been commuted for £166. 14. 4.,
of which £33. 9. 1. are payable to the vicar of Newcastle. The township contains the ruins of a chapel, in
which Edward I., in 1299, attended the celebration of
the vespers of St. Nicholas by a juvenile bishop, to
whom, and to the singing boys who assisted on the
occasion, he presented the sum of forty shillings.
HEATON, a township, in the parish and union of
Leek, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and
of the county of Stafford, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from
Leek; containing 430 inhabitants. Here is a small
cotton-mill on the Dane river.
HEATON, a township, in the district parish of Shipley, union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W.
riding of York, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Bradford;
containing 1573 inhabitants. The township comprises
by computation 743 acres, of which 170 are arable, 523
pasture, and 50 wood; the surface is undulated, and
the scenery is beautifully diversified, and embellished
with stately wood. The lands were inclosed by act of
parliament in the 20th of George III., and are in good
cultivation. Heaton Hall, for many years the seat of
the family of Field, has descended to the Earl and
Countess of Rosse. The village, which is pleasantly
seated on an acclivity, is irregularly built; and the township comprises also the small village of Frizingley,
sheltered with well-grown timber, and the hamlets of
Chellow, Heaton-Royds, and Heaton-Shaw; the whole
retaining much of its pristine simplicity and rural beauty.
A schoolroom is licensed by the bishop for divine service; and there is a place of worship for Baptists, who
made Heaton their first settlement in the West riding.
Heaton, Earls, or Nether Soothill
HEATON, EARLS, or Nether Soothill, an
ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 1 mile (N. E.)
from Dewsbury; containing 4453 inhabitants. The
population is chiefly engaged in the woollen manufactures of the district, and blankets are made to a very
great extent; there are also some quarries of excellent
building-stone. The village is pleasantly situated on
the brow of a hill, and is built of stone procured in the
neighbourhood. The church, dedicated to St. Peter,
was erected in 1827, at a cost of £5000, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a cruciform structure in
the later English style, with a tower and spire, and contains 600 sittings, of which 250 are free, and a gallery
for the accommodation of 300 children. The living is a
perpetual curacy, endowed with £200 by the Ripon
Diocesan Society, and in the patronage of the Vicar of
Dewsbury; net income, £164. There are 4 acres of
glebe, and a good glebe-house.
HEATON, GREAT, a township, in the parish of
Prestwich, union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (N. by W.)
from Manchester; containing 159 inhabitants. It is
intersected by the road from Manchester to Heywood
and Middleton, and comprises 837 acres, a considerable
portion of which is meadow and pasture; the surface is
undulated and hilly, the soil of a sandy nature but fertile,
and the scenery pleasing from many points of view. The
river Irk skirts the south-eastern boundary, and supplies water to several manufactories, but none of them
are within the township. Heaton House, the seat of the
Earl of Wilton, is a handsome structure of stone, erected
by Wyatt, with columns of the Ionic order, and a circular projection in the centre, surmounted by a spacious
dome; it stands in a verdant and well-wooded park,
five miles in circumference, at the entrance to which is
an elegant Doric lodge. At some distance from the
mansion, on a bold eminence, is a circular temple, commanding extensive views into the four adjoining counties
of Cheshire, Derby, Stafford, and York. Races are annually held at Heaton Park, and are attended by numerous distinguished supporters of the turf. The tithes
have been commuted for £75.
Heaton, Hanging, or Upper Soothill
HEATON, HANGING, or Upper Soothill, an
ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (N. E.)
from Dewsbury. This district, which derives the affix
to its name from the earls of Warren having had a
gallows here, is on the road from Dewsbury to Leeds,
and comprises 1845 acres of arable and pasture land,
and 250a. 3r. 20p. of wood. It participates in the various woollen manufactures carried on in the neighbourhood. The village is beautifully situated on the slope of
an eminence, abounding with good freestone, of which
the houses and the church are built; and coal is wrought.
The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1825,
at an expense of £5000, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a handsome structure in the later English
style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 600
sittings, of which 220 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Dewsbury,
with a net income of £150, and a good house.
Heaton, Kirk (St. John the Baptist)
HEATON, KIRK (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the
wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York; containing
11,930 inhabitants, of whom 3165 are in the township
of Kirk-Heaton, 2½ miles (E. by N.) from Huddersfield.
The parish consists of the townships of Kirk-Heaton,
Dalton, Lepton, and Whitley; and is bounded on the
east by the river Calder, which separates it from Mirfield, and on the north-east by the Colne, over which is
a handsome bridge. It comprises by computation 6500
acres, whereof about 1800 are arable, 4200 grass-land,
and 450 wood. The surface is mountainous; several
coal-mines are in operation, and some quarries of good
building and flagstone are wrought. The village is pleasantly situated in a deep valley, watered by one of the
tributaries of the Colne; the inhabitants are employed
in weaving in their cottages a species of fancy goods,
a mixture of cotton, woollen, and silk, for gowns and
waistcoats. At Colne bridge is a large cotton-mill. The
road from Huddersfield to Wakefield, and the Manchester
and Leeds railway, pass through the parish. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 13. 9.,
and in the patronage of the Rev. J. Alderson, with a
net income of £537: the tithes of the townships of
Kirk-Heaton and Dalton were commuted for land under
acts of inclosure in 1799. The church is an ancient
structure, with a tower; its principal benefactors were
the Hetons, formerly lords of the manor: in the sepulchral chapel of the Beaumont family are some handsome
monuments. There are places of worship for Wesleyans.
HEATON, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of
Prestwich, union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles
(N.) from Manchester; containing 808 inhabitants. It
comprises 242 acres, Cheshire measure, of which three-fourths are meadow and pasture, and the remainder
arable; the soil in the lower parts is sandy, in the higher
clayey. This and the adjoining township of Great
Heaton are divided into detached portions, intermixed
one with another. On the river Irk is a bleaching-factory. The tithes have been commuted for £55.
HEATON-NORRIS, a chapelry, in the parish of
Manchester, union of Stockport, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles
(N. W. by N.) from Stockport; comprising the townships of Heaton-Norris and Reddish, and containing
15,817 inhabitants, of whom 14,629 are in Heaton-Norris. This place is separated from Stockport by the
river Mersey, and the Manchester and Birmingham
railway passes through it: the Manchester and Stockport canal terminates at Heaton. The cotton manufacture is largely carried on. The petty-sessions for the
Manchester division of the hundred of Salford are held
here. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£116; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons
of Manchester. The chapel is dedicated to St. Thomas,
and has been enlarged by 320 sittings, 250 of which are
free. Christ Church, built by the Manchester and
Eccles Church-Building Society, was completed in the
autumn of 1846; it is in the decorated style, and consists of a nave and transepts, but without a chancel, and
has 1220 sittings: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the
patronage of the Bishop of Chester. There are places
of worship for dissenters, and numerous schools. Near
the chapel is a school, endowed with £10 per annum
arising from a bequest by John Hollingpriest, in 1785;
and at Heaton-Mersey is a Sunday school endowed with
£500 in 1815, by Robert Parker, Esq.