Holtby (Holy Trinity)
HOLTBY (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, union and N. riding of York, 5 miles
(E. N. E.) from York; containing 146 inhabitants. The
parish comprises 848 acres, of which 600 are arable, 25
woodland, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the
surface is slightly undulated, and the soil of a light and
loamy quality. Some portions of the scenery are picturesque. The road to Bridlington passes through the
parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £8, and in the gift of Lord Faversham: the
tithes have been commuted for £184, and the glebe
comprises 51 acres, with a good house attached. The
church is a neat brick edifice, fully repaired in 1841.
Holtby, with Ainderby-Myers, in the county of York.—See Ainderby-Myers.
HOLTBY, with Ainderby-Myers, in the county of
Holton (All Saints)
HOLTON (All Saints), a parish, in the W. division
of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, union
and county of Lincoln, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from
Wragby; containing, with Beckering, 191 inhabitants,
and consisting of 1800 acres by computation. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 10. 10.;
net income, £334; patron, C. Turnor, Esq.: the glebe
comprises 27 acres. The church is ancient.
Holton (St. Bartholomew)
HOLTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union
of Headington, hundred of Bullingdon, county of
Oxford, 1 mile (N. E.) from Wheatley; containing 289
inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south-east
by the river Thame, and comprises by computation
1600 acres, whereof 970 are pasture, 460 arable, and 162
woodland. Its soil is generally a fine loam resting upon
stiff clay, and in the higher parts has a substratum of
oolite rock. The ancient mansion was taken down in
1804, and a handsome structure built on a different site,
by Elisha Biscoe, Esq.; it is surrounded by a park of
148 acres, inclosed with a stone wall, and richly embellished with timber. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £12. 19. 2., and in the patronage of
the Biscoe family; net income, £390. The church is a
cruciform structure, with a chapel attached to the north
aisle, and another to the south; the latter, which appears
to be the less ancient, was built by William Brome, who
in 1461 was buried in a vault underneath it. In the
parish register is recorded the marriage of Ireton to
Bridget, daughter of Oliver Cromwell, which took place
June 15th, 1646, in the mansion-house of the Whorwood
family, to whom the estate was conveyed by marriage
with the heiress of George Brome.
Holton (St. Nicholas)
HOLTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Wincanton, hundred of Whitley, though locally in
that of Horethorne, W. division of Somerset, 2¼
miles (S. W. by W.) from Wincanton; containing 224
inhabitants. It is situated on the road between London
and Exeter, and comprises 491a. 1r. 38p., of which
about 367 acres are pasture, 58 arable, and 49 orchard.
The surface is diversified with hill and dale, agreeably
interspersed with ash, oak, and elm; the soil is sandy
and silicious, resting on clay, and in addition to the
ordinary agricultural crops, dairy-stock is reared to some
extent. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £8. 0. 1., and in the gift of the family of
Plucknet: the tithes have been commuted for £110, and
there are 38a. 3r. 29p. of glebe.
Holton (St. Mary)
HOLTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk,
2 miles (N. by E.) from Stratford St. Mary; containing
187 inhabitants, and comprising 837 acres. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£7. 14. 7., and in the gift of Sir Joshua Rowley, Bart.:
the tithes have been commuted for £310, and the glebe
comprises 35 acres, with a house. A school-house, built
on the waste, was conveyed by Sir Francis Mannock,
Bart., to trustees, in 1749; and in 1758, by the exertions and pecuniary aid of the Rev. Mr. White, then
rector, a school was endowed, the income of which is
£35 per annum.
Holton (St. Peter)
HOLTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 1¼ mile
(E. N. E.) from Halesworth; containing 541 inhabitants.
This parish, which is situated on the road from Halesworth to Beccles, comprises by admeasurement 1132
acres; the soil is strong and favourable to the growth
of corn. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £10. 13. 4., and in the patronage of
the Crown, with a net income of £197: the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church is an ancient structure in
the Norman style, with a round tower.
Holton-Le-Clay (St. Peter)
HOLTON-LE-CLAY (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Louth, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe,
parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (S. S. E.)
from Great Grimsby; containing 263 inhabitants. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£4. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, the Earl of Scarborough. The great tithes have
been commuted for £4, and the vicarial for £6. 5. 8.;
the glebe contains one acre.
HOLTON-LE-MOOR, a parish, in the union of
Caistor, N. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft,
parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (S. W.)
from Caistor; containing 160 inhabitants. It comprises 1812 acres, of which 453 are waste or common;
some of the most sterile parts have been covered with
plantations. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £4. 18. 4., and until lately, for a long
period, annexed to the living of Caistor. The church is
a small edifice.
Holverstone (St. Mary)
HOLVERSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 6
miles (S. E.) from the city of Norwich; containing 37
inhabitants, and comprising 348a. 2r. 18p. The living
is divided, one part being held with the rectory of Burgh-Apton, one with that of Hillington, and another with
that of Rockland: the church has been demolished.
HOLWAY-EXTRA-PORTAM, a tything, in the
parish of St. Mary Magdalen, borough and union of
Taunton, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean,
W. division of Somerset; with 125 inhabitants.
HOLWELL, a parish, in the union of Hitchin,
hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 3 miles (N.
W. by N.) from Hitchin; containing 182 inhabitants,
and consisting of 550 acres by computation. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 7.;
net income, £120, arising from 120 acres of land given
in lieu of tithes in 1802; patron, F. P. D. Radcliff, Esq.
The church, an ancient structure in the early English
style, has been partly rebuilt and restored. There is
property at East Greenwich, bequeathed to the parish
by Mr. Rand, in 1706, and now producing £700 per
annum, for the apprenticing of children; with the accumulated savings, a school, a house for the incumbent,
and six almshouses, were built in the year 1831, by an
order in chancery.
HOLWELL, a hamlet, in the parish of Shitlington, union of Ampthill, hundred of Clifton, county
of Bedford; containing 58 inhabitants.
Holwell (St. Lawrence)
HOLWELL (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union
of Sherborne, hundred of Brownshall, county of
Dorset, 5¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Sherborne; containing 397 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2217 acres: limestone is quarried for manure.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£14. 13. 9., and in the gift of Queen's College, Oxford:
the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe
comprises 50 acres. The church is a neat edifice in the
later English style. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. Here stood the principal lodge of the ancient forest of Blackmore, which William de Bret and
his successors held by service as the king's forester in
Blackmore; the office became extinct when the district
HOLWELL, a tything, in the parish and hundred
of Cranborne, union of Wimborne and Cranborne,
Wimborne division of Dorset; with 407 inhabitants.
HOLWELL, a chapelry, in the parish of Ab-Kettleby, union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3¼ miles
(N. N. W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 156 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Leonard.
There is a chalybeate spring in the neighbourhood.
HOLWELL, a chapelry, in the parish of Broadwell, union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county
of Oxford, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Burford; containing 115 inhabitants. It comprises 1044 acres by
computation, of which 24 are pasture, 30 woodland, and
the rest arable. The chapel is a very old building, with
a Norman door on the north side.
HOLWICK, a township, in the parish of RomaldKirk, union of Teesdale, wapentake of GillingWest, N. riding of York, 12½ miles (N. W.) from
Barnard-Castle; containing 205 inhabitants. It comprises 5910 acres, chiefly moorland and fells, and includes
the hamlets of Unthank and Lonton, on the Tees: the
village, which is scattered, is near the head of Teesdale.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1811.
Holybourne (Holy Rood)
HOLYBOURNE (Holy Rood), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Alton, Alton and N. divisions
of the county of Southampton, 1 mile (N. E.) from
Alton; containing 522 inhabitants, and comprising by
computation 1350 acres. The living is a vicarage not
in charge, annexed, with the livings of Binsted and
Kingsley, to the vicarage of Alton: the tithes have been
commuted for £260 payable to the Dean and Chapter of
Winchester, £95 to the vicar, and £45 to an impropriator. The church has been enlarged, and 120 free sittings provided. Thomas Andrews, in 1619, devised
estates for the erection and support of a free school:
the net annual income is nearly £200, and the number
receiving instruction is about eighty.
HOLY-CROSS, a hamlet, in the parish of Clent,
union of Bromsgrove, Lower division of the hundred
of Halfshire, Stourbridge and E. divisions of the
county of Worcester, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Stourbridge. This is a small village near Lower Clent, and
on the road from Stourbridge to Bromsgrove. It is
noted for its fairs, which are very considerable, and are
held on April 11th, and Sept. 12th, chiefly for hornedcattle and cheese. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Baptists.
Holy-Cross, hundred of Pershore, Worcestershire.—See Pershore.
HOLY-CROSS, hundred of Pershore, Worcestershire.—See Pershore.
HOLYFIELD, a hamlet, in the parish of Waltham-Abbey, or Holy Cross, union of Edmonton, hundred
of Waltham, S. division of Essex, 2½ miles (N. by E.)
from the town of Waltham-Abbey; containing 382 inhabitants. This place, with Upshire, comprises 7934 acres,
of which 166 are common or waste land. The impropriate tithes of the two hamlets have been together commuted for £915.
HOLYHATCH, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union and hundred of Fordingbridge, Ringwood and
S. divisions of Hants; containing, with Ogdens, 30 inhabitants. This district is situated on the borders and
within the limits of the New Forest.
Holy-Island anciently Lindisfarn (St. John the Evangelist)
HOLY-ISLAND, anciently Lindisfarn (St. John
the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Berwick,
in Islandshire, N. division of Northumberland, 5½
miles (N. by E.) from Belford, and 10 (S. E.) from Berwick; containing 1209 inhabitants. The Island, forming
the chief part of the parish, is situated in the North Sea,
a mile and a half from the Northumbrian coast, and
derives its name from an abbey founded by Oswald,
King of Northumbria. This abbey became the seat of a
see; but after a succession of fourteen prelates, of whom
St. Cuthbert was one, the cathedral was destroyed by
the Danes, in 893, and the bishopric was removed to
Chester-le-Street, and subsequently to Durham. The
island was invaded and plundered by Malcolm I., King
of Scotland, in 941. After the Norman Conquest, a
Benedictine priory was established (as a cell to that of
Durham), the revenue of which at the Dissolution was
£60. 5.: its foundations may be traced over a space of
nearly four acres, but the only considerable remains are
those of the church, a noble cruciform structure, displaying in the nave, choir, and part of the central tower,
the Norman and early English styles of architecture.
In the great civil war the isle was the station of a parliamentary garrison; and in 1715 it was seized by the
adherents of the Pretender, who were, however, soon
dislodged by a detachment from the king's troops at
Besides the principal island, the parish comprises the
Farn Islands, and the hamlets of Fenham and Goswick
on the main land. At the south-western angle of Holy
Island is situated the village, distinguished for the ruins
of the monastery; it is a place of considerable resort
for sea-bathing, and there are several fishing-boats belonging to it, with about 70 men, employed in catching
cod, ling, haddock, and lobsters, which are sent in large
quantities to the London market. There is also a curing
and smoking house for herrings, which are taken in
great numbers along the coast. The south-eastern extremity of the island rises in a conical peak, sixty feet
in height, on the summit of which is a castellated fort,
built during the reign of Elizabeth, and still occupied by
the crown. The north side abounds with limestone;
and there are also a small seam of coal, and a stratum of
slate, the latter containing a considerable quantity of
iron-ore, with which are found the entrochi, or fossils
popularly termed St. Cuthbert's beads. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £207; patrons, the Dean
and Chapter of Durham: the impropriation belongs to
the crown and others. The church is a small neat