Holy-Oakes - Honor

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

539-542

Citation Show another format:

'Holy-Oakes - Honor', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 539-542. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51041 Date accessed: 31 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Holy-Oakes

HOLY-OAKES, a liberty, in the parish of DryStoke, union of Uppingham, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Uppingham; containing 2 inhabitants.

Holywell (St. John the Baptist)

HOLYWELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 2 miles (E. by S.) from St. Ives; containing, with Needingworth, 959 inhabitants. The river Ouse runs through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30. 6. 3.; net income, £528; patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church stands on a hill, at the foot of which is a spring of excellent water, called the Holy Well, formerly held in great veneration.

Holywell

HOLYWELL, with Awnby, a chapelry, in the parish of Castle-Bytham, union of Bourne, wapentake of Beltisloe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Stamford; containing 98 inhabitants, of whom 54 are in Holywell. The tithes and moduses were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811. The chapel is dedicated to St. Wilfrid.

Holywell

HOLYWELL, a township, in the parish of Earsdon, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from North Shields; containing 1164 inhabitants. It derives its name from St. Mary's Well; and was anciently held of the Balliols by the family of Delaval, who had property here in 1435. The village is on the road between Earsdon and Whitridge. The well was destroyed in 1822, by the opening of a quarry.

Homersfield (St. Mary)

HOMERSFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wangford, E. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Harleston; containing 291 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Waveney, which separates this part of the county from Norfolk. In the reign of Henry III., the Bishop of Norwich, who had a residence here, obtained from that monarch the grant of a market and fair, the former of which has fallen into disuse, and the latter dwindled into a pleasure-fair. The number of acres is computed at 804; the soil is partly light, and partly a strong clay. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of South Elmham St. Cross, or Sandcroft, annexed, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the gift of William Adair, Esq.: the tithes of Homersfield have been commuted for £140, and about 8½ acres of glebe are attached to the benefice. The church contains portions of various styles of English architecture, and its elevated site and ivy-mantled tower render its appearance picturesque.

Homington (St. Mary)

HOMINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Alderbury, hundred of Cawden and Cadworth, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Salisbury; containing 171 inhabitants. The country is hilly; the soil is chalky, producing good crops of wheat and other grain. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, the appropriators; net income, £57. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1783.

Hom-Lacy (St. Cuthbert)

HOM-LACY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 6 miles (S. E.) from Hereford; containing 369 inhabitants. It is bounded by the river Wye on the east and partly on the north, and consists of 3225 acres of highly productive land. The living is a vicarage, with that of Bolstone annexed, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of Sir E. F. Scudamore Stanhope, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £515, and the glebe contains 14½ acres, with a house. An abbey for Præmonstratensian canons, in honour of the Blessed Virgin and St. Thomas à Becket, was founded, and endowed with divers manors, by William Fitzwain, in the time of Henry III.

Honeybourne, Church (St. Egwin)

HONEYBOURNE, CHURCH (St. Egwin), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5 miles (E.) from Evesham; containing 119 inhabitants. This place is recorded in Domesday book as belonging to the famous abbey of Evesham: at the Dissolution, the greater part of the abbey lands here were given to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The parish forms an insulated portion of the county, surrounded on all sides, except the northwest, by Gloucestershire; and consists of 1296 acres, of which the greater part is pasture. The living is a vicarage, with the living of Cow-Honeybourne annexed, valued in the king's books at £6. 4. 4½.; patron, the Rev. Augustus Stapylton; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The income consists of a rent-charge of £80, for which the vicarial tithes have been commuted; 100 guineas per annum, left by Mrs. Williams, widow of the late vicar; and a certain portion of beans from Littleton. The glebe contains 22½ acres. The church has a plain tower surmounted by a graceful spire, and has lately been repewed, and a gallery erected, by aid of £500, bequeathed by Mrs. Williams, to which the inhabitants added £100 for decoration. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Honeybourne, Cow

HONEYBOURNE, COW, a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (E.) from Evesham; containing 327 inhabitants. The living was annexed to the vicarage of Church-Honeybourne at the Dissolution: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1778. The church has been from a remote period converted into cottages for the poor, but the tower is still entire, as well as the chancel windows, and one or two windows in the nave. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and a school is endowed with £30 per annum.

Honeychurch (St. James)

HONEYCHURCH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Black Torrington, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Oakhampton; containing 69 inhabitants. The parish comprises 500 acres, of which two-fifths are common or waste land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 8., and in the gift of J. Alliston Alliston, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £48, and the glebe comprises 52 acres. The church is a very neat edifice, and contains some specimens of stained glass.

Honily (St. John the Baptist)

HONILY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Warwick, Snitterfield division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Warwick; containing 50 inhabitants, and comprising 635 acres. The living is a rectory; net income, £150; patron, Court Granville, Esq.

Honing (St. Peter and St. Paul)

HONING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from North Walsham; containing 344 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1401a. 1r. 2p., the surface of which is diversified with numerous undulations; the Ant navigation runs through. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Dilham, and valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.: about 7 acres of glebe are attached to it. The church is situated on an eminence, and commands fine views towards the east and south; it was rebuilt in 1796, with the exception of the tower, and repewed in 1840. Thomas Husband and John Baxter bequeathed property now producing £37. 17. per annum, for charitable purposes; and the poor have the privilege of turning their cattle upon the common here, and of cutting turf.

Honingham (St. Andrew)

HONINGHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of St. Faith, hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Norwich; containing 358 inhabitants. It comprises 2563a. 14p., of which 1970 acres are arable, 320 meadow and pasture, and 248 woodland. The Hall, a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style, situated in a well-wooded park, is the seat of Lord Bayning, who is lord of the manor. The road from Norwich to Dereham runs through the village, in which is an extensive flour-mill. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of East Tuddenham annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 12. 6.; patron, and impropriator of Honingham, Lord Bayning. The great tithes of the parish have been commuted for £543. 5., and the vicarial for £210. The church is in the early style, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a square embattled tower surmounted at each corner by a sculptured figure: the interior has lately been repewed and thoroughly repaired; and there are handsome monuments to Sir Thomas Richardson, and the Rt. Hon. Charles Townshend, created Lord Bayning in 1797.

Honingham, Warwick.—See Hunningham.

HONINGHAM, Warwick.—See Hunningham.

Honington (St. Wilfrid)

HONINGTON (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Grantham; containing 149 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Grantham to Lincoln and to Sleaford, comprises about 1500 acres: stone of good quality is quarried for building and for repairing the roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 0. 5.; patron and appropriator, Sir T. G. Apreece, Bart.: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £200; the glebe consists of only one rood, but there is other land attached to the living, producing £25 per annum. The church is a plain edifice. Eastward of the village is a square doubletrenched camp, within the area of which, two urns full of Roman coins, with some fragments of bridles and warlike weapons were discovered in 1691. In the valley between Honington and Carleton is a large flat tumulus.

Honington (All Saints)

HONINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Ixworth; containing 273 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 1222 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes, a portion of which is paid to the rector of Great Fakenham, have been commuted for £336, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with some details of the Norman style. An allotment of land has been awarded to the poor in lieu of the right of cutting furze, producing £35 per annum, which sum is expended in the purchase of coal, distributed by the parochial officers. Robert Bloomfield, author of the Farmer's Boy, was born here in 1788.

Honington (All Saints)

HONINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Brails division of the hundred of Kineton, S. division of the county of Warwick, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Shipston; containing 335 inhabitants. This place in Domesday book is written Huningeham, a name supposed to have been derived from Huninge, a Saxon possessor, and ham, a "dwellingplace or habitation." The manor was held under the families of Cotes and Cokesey during several reigns, and was afterwards drawn within the domain of the house of Leigh; being purchased of Mr. Henry Vane in 1695, by Thomas, Lord Leigh, of Stoneleigh. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Stour, which separates it from a detached portion of the county of Worcester; it comprises 2441 acres of good land, well wooded, and in equal portions of arable and pasture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8.; patron and impropriator, the Rev. H. Townsend. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £47. 10., and the glebe consists of 52 acres. The church has an ancient tower covered with ivy; the body of the edifice is modern. There is a Church Sunday school.

Honiton (St. Michael)

HONITON (St. Michael), a borough, markettown, and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Axminster, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 16 miles (E. N. E.) from Exeter, and 156 (W. S. W.) from London; containing 3895 inhabitants. This place is situated on rising ground, in a picturesque and fertile vale, on the south side of the river Otter, and on the line of the great western road from London to Plymouth. It possesses claims to high antiquity. According to some, it originated from a Roman settlement at Hembury Fort, contiguous to the present town, where, and at Dumbdon, about two miles to the north-east, are traces of extensive intrenched camps, supposed to have been the Moridunum of Antoninus. In the reign of Edward VI., Lord Gray quartered his forces at this place, the evening before he defeated the Cornish rebels at Fenny Bridge. During the civil war, Charles I., who passed and repassed through the town, slept at a house still standing, which had been given by Queen Elizabeth to Dr. Marwood, her physician, for recovering her favourite, the Earl of Essex, from a dangerous illness; it was subsequently visited by the parliamentary general, Fairfax, after his successful campaign in the west of England, in 1645. The town repeatedly suffered from fire; especially in 1747 and 1765, on which latter occasion 115 houses were destroyed, together with a part of the chapel, the damage being estimated at nearly £11,000.


Seal of the Borough.

It consists chiefly of one very wide street, running nearly from east to west, about a mile in length, lighted with gas, paved, and plentifully supplied with water; the street has a gentle declivity towards the west, and in the central part are some well-built brick houses and shops, the principal inns, and the public room where the business of the borough is transacted. This part of the town, with the exception of a few houses, is of modern erection, the buildings having been raised subsequently to the last great fire, and with so much attention to uniformity as to render Honiton one of the neatest towns in the county. Races are occasionally held on the hill of St. Cyrus, in the vicinity. The manufacture of serge was established at an early period; and the place was also noted for the large quantity of valuable lace made, some kinds of which were sold for more than five guineas a yard, being woven of thread imported from the Netherlands, and rivalling in fineness and beauty the genuine Brussels lace. The serge trade has long since declined; but lace is still made, particularly sprigs for the decoration of the patent net. Shoes and coarse earthenware are likewise manufactured, though not extensively. Honiton is famous as a mart for butter and cheese, a large quantity of which is sent weekly to the metropolis. About six miles to the north are the Black Down hills, in which is found a silicious stone intermixed with sea-shells, from which whetstones are formed for sharpening scythes. The markets, held by prescription, are on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, the last being the principal. A fair for sheep, oxen, and horses, takes place on the Wednesday and Thursday after the 19th of July; and there are great markets on the second Saturday in April, and the Saturday before October 18th.

The municipal affairs are under the direction of a portreeve, bailiff, and two ale-tasters, who, with three constables, two tythingmen, and other officers, are appointed at the court-leet of the manor, on Michaelmasday. Under an ancient charter granted to the lord of the manor, the portreeve has authority to hold monthly courts, and to make by-laws for the government of the borough; but at present he does not exercise it, the jurisdiction being vested in the county justices, who hold petty-sessions here every month. The powers of the county debt-court of Honiton, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Honiton. The town sent members to parliament in the reigns of Edward I. and II., after which the elective franchise was suspended till the 16th of Charles I., since which time it has been regularly exercised; the borough, for parliamentary purposes, comprises 2800 acres, and the portreeve is returning officer.

The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £40. 4. 2.; net income, £866; patron, the Earl of Devon. The old church, which stands on an eminence about half a mile from the town, is a fine edifice with aisles and a transept, in the later English style, having been built, or enlarged, about 1484, by Courtenay, Bishop of Exeter, who erected the beautiful screen, ornamented with carving and gilding, which separates the nave from the chancel: among several ancient monuments is one to the memory of Dr. Thomas Marwood, who died in 1617, at the age of 105. The new parochial church was consecrated in April, 1839, and contains 1300 sittings, whereof 720 are free; it is in the Norman style, with a tower, and occupies the site of All-hallows chapel, originally a chantry-house, and for the reparation of which, and other charitable purposes, Sir John Kirkham and the Rev. Elizeus Harding conveyed to certain trustees property at Honiton and Yarcombe, valued by the Commissioners of Charities at £174 per annum. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Unitarians. A free grammar school, founded at a very early period, was endowed with a small amount by the Rev. John Fley, in 1614; a national school was endowed with £300 by the Rev. James How, in 1816, and a diocesan commercial school has been established. St. Margaret's hospital, about half a mile westward from the town, was founded in 1589, by Thomas Chard, the last abbot of Ford, for four lepers: it now consists of houses for a governor and eight poor persons, who have small stipends: and connected with it is a chapel, in which the governor reads prayers twice a week. The union of Honiton comprises 28 parishes or places, and contains a population of 23,890. A battery was erected on St. Cyrus' Hill by the late General Simcoe. Captain Westcott, who fell in the battle of the Nile, and to whom a public monument was raised in St. Paul's Cathedral, was born here; and Ozias Humphry, R.A., an eminent painter, was also a native of the town.

Honley

HONLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Huddersfield; containing 5383 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is beautifully situated in the picturesque vale of the Holme, comprises 2441a. 2r. 12p., chiefly the property of the Earl of Dartmouth, who is lord of the manor; the surface is undulated, the higher grounds command extensive and diversified views, and the scenery is in many parts picturesque, and embellished with wood. The village stands close to the river, and on the western acclivities of the vale, reaching to their summit. The inhabitants are principally employed in the manufacture of woollen and fancy cloths, for which there are several factories on the banks of the river. Excellent stone for roads and buildings is procured in abundance at Scott Gate Head quarry; and coal of inferior quality is obtained in large quantities. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by subscription, in 1842-3, in the early English style, and consists of a nave and aisles, with a tower at the west end. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £180; patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans.

Honor

HONOR, a tything, in the parish and hundred of Portbury, union of Bedminster, E. division of the county of Somerset; containing 22 inhabitants.



<--Previous:
Holtby - Holy-Island