Hoo, or St. Werburgh
HOO, or St. Werburgh, a parish, and the head of
a union, in the hundred of Hoo, lathe of Aylesford,
W. division of Kent, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Rochester;
containing 930 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on
the south by the river Medway, which is here very
broad, and deep enough to float first-rate ships of war.
It comprises 4822 acres: the soil is various, in some
parts rich, in others less fertile; a considerable portion
is marsh, and the remainder arable and pasture land,
with 188 acres of wood. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 6.; net income, £395; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and
Chapter of Rochester. The church is a handsome stone
structure, with a lofty spire, which is conspicuous for
many miles round. The poor-law union comprises seven
parishes or places, and contains a population of 2794.
Abbey Court, now a farmhouse, was a monastery subordinate to Leeds Abbey, Kent.
Hoo (St. Mary)
HOO (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoo, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent,
5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Rochester; containing 297
inhabitants. It consists of 2196 acres, of which 42 are
in wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £16. 12. 1., and in the patronage of Mrs. S.
Burt: the tithes have been commuted for £74. 13.
payable to the Dean and Chapter of Rochester, and
£602 to the rector; the glebe comprises 11 acres.
Hoo (St. Andrew and St. Eustachius)
HOO (St. Andrew and St. Eustachius), a parish,
in the union of Plomesgate, hundred of Loes, E.
division of Suffolk, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Wickham-Market; containing 211 inhabitants, and comprising by
survey 1212 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £44; patron, the Rev. O. S. Reynolds. The
church is an ancient structure in the early English style,
with a square tower, and contains a curiously sculptured
font. There were anciently guilds of the Holy Trinity,
St. Mary, St. Peter, St. Andrew, and St. John.
HOOD-GRANGE, a hamlet, in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, union of Thirsk, N.
riding of York, 4½ miles (E.) from the town of Thirsk;
containing 25 inhabitants. It comprises about 600
acres. Here was an abbey for Cistercian monks, who
removed to Old Byland in 1143, and afterwards to Byland, near Coxwold.
Hooe (St. James)
HOOE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Hailsham, hundred of Ninfield, rape of Hastings, E.
division of Sussex, 8 miles (S. W.) from Battle; containing 519 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the
road from Eastbourne to Battle, and comprises 2447a.
3r. 35p., of which 900 acres are arable, 300 pasture and
meadow, 30 in hop plantations, and the remainder common and marsh land. A fair for the sale of stock is
held on the 1st of May. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £7. 2. 6.; patron, Sir G. Webster,
Bart.; impropriator, A. E. Fuller, Esq. The great
tithes have been commuted for £215, and the vicarial
for £317. 10.; the impropriate glebe contains 26 acres,
and the vicarial 1½ acre. The church is partly in the
early English style, with a low embattled tower. An
alien priory of Benedictine monks, belonging to the
abbey of Bec, in Normandy, was erected here about the
commencement of the twelfth century, and was given by
Henry VI. to Eton College, and subsequently by Edward IV. to Ashford College, in Kent; the foundations
only of the building are remaining.
HOOK, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Kingston-Upon-Thames, First division of the hundred of
Kingston, E. division of Surrey, 3½ miles (S. by W.)
from Kingston; containing 222 inhabitants. The hamlet consists chiefly of small cottages on the west side
of the road from Kingston to Leatherhead. It has a
small church dedicated to St. Paul, built in 1838, at a
cost of about £1140; the edifice is of red and yellow
brick intermingled, and in the earliest pointed style.
The living is in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester.
Hooke (St. Giles)
HOOKE (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of
Beaminster, hundred of Eggerton, Bridport division
of Dorset, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Beaminster; containing 268 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1237
acres, of which 207 are wood, consisting chiefly of good
oak; the land is high and open, and the soil various,
in some parts sandy and in others a chalk, abounding
in springs. There is a small establishment for spinning
flax. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £9. 18. 10., and in the patronage of the
Duke of Cleveland and the Countess Dowager of Sandwich: the tithes have been commuted for £41, and the
glebe contains 42 acres. The church, which is ancient,
has been lately repaired and enlarged.
HOOKE, a chapelry, in the parish of Snaith, union
of Goole, Lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 2 miles (N. by E.) from
Goole; containing 1221 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises by computation 1600 acres of land, and includes
a small portion of the town of Goole: the village is pleasantly situated on the river Ouse, which is here of considerable breadth. The soil, originally indifferent, has
been much improved, and the lands are now in good
cultivation. The chapel, dedicated to St. John, is an
ancient structure: the living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £70; patron, T. H. S. Sotheron, Esq. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Almshouses for
three widows were founded by Joshua Jefferson, Esq.,
who endowed them with land now producing £38 per
annum, of which £6 are paid for the instruction of
HOOLE, a township, in the parish of Plemonstall,
union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester,
2½ miles (N. E.) from Chester; containing 294 inhabitants. It comprises 745 acres, of a sandy soil. The tithes
have been commuted for £80 payable to the rector, and
£22 to the Marquess of Westminster. Various plots of
land here, belonging to the Rev. Mr. Hamilton, of Hoole
Lodge, and others, have been laid out for building purposes, such as the erection of villas, &c., by Mr. Rampling, architect, of Liverpool; and some of the plots have
been sold at the rate of 5s. the square yard, or £1210
per acre; while, before the introduction of railways, the
price was not more than about £150 an acre.
Hoole (Holy Trinity)
HOOLE (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of
Preston, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire; containing 989 inhabitants, of whom 785 are
in the township of Much Hoole, 8 miles (S. W.), and 204
in that of Little Hoole, 7 miles (S. W. by W.), from
Preston. This place, which was separated from Croston
by act of parliament in 1642, and made a distinct parish,
lies on the road from Preston to Ormskirk and Liverpool, and is bounded on the west by the river Douglas or
Astland. It comprises 2851 acres, whereof 1701 are in
Much, and 1150 in Little, Hoole; three-fourths of the
land are in pasture, and of the whole area 115 acres are
common or waste. The soil is partly a marly loam,
alternated with peat moss and marsh, and the surface is
generally level. Hoole gave name to a family as early
as the reign of John. Much Hoole was anciently held
by the Montebegons; and the families of Viler, Butler,
Walton, Leigh, Banister, and Hesketh, and Sir Thomas
Barton and others, succeeded: in more recent times
have been the Crooks, Claytons, and Bartons. The
estates are now much divided: among the principal proprietors are, Sir Thomas G. Hesketh, Bart., and G. A.
Legh Keck, Esq. The whole of Little Hoole, which is
on the southern bank of the Ribble, adjoining the parish
of Penwortham, is the property of Rice George Fellowe,
Esq., of Edmonton, in Middlesex, lord of the manor.
This manor was anciently granted by Roger de Montebegon to the priory of Thetford.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £6. 14.; patron and incumbent, the
Rev. Miles Barton, whose family in the last century
purchased, with the advowson, a considerable portion of
the estates of the township of Much Hoole: he resides
in the manor-house of Little Hoole. The tithes have
been commuted for £280. The church is a plain edifice of brick, built in 1628, having a tower of stone, rebuilt in 1720. There are, a Methodist place of worship,
built in 1824; and a Primitive one, built in 1828. A
school, erected in 1774, is endowed with land producing
about £16 per annum, and is further supported by the
rector. Jeremiah Horrox, the distinguished astronomer,
who was the first to observe the transit of Venus over
the sun's disc (November 24th, 1639), resided with his
parents at Much Hoole, previously to entering Emmanuel College, Cambridge; and made his observations in
the township. A marble tablet is erected to his memory
in St. Michael's church, Toxteth, recording his death in
1641, at the age of 22.
HOON, a township, in the parish of Marston-UponDove, union of Burton, hundred of Appletree, S.
division of the county of Derby, 9¼ miles (W. S. W.)
from Derby; containing 39 inhabitants. The manor at
the Domesday survey was held by Sewall, ancestor of the
Shirley family, under Henry de Ferrers. The Shirleys
possessed it in the reign of Henry VIII., and it was
purchased of them by the Palmers, who were succeeded
by the Staffords. About the middle of the 17th century, it was sold to John Pye, Esq., who settled at
Hoon, and was created a baronet in 1664: the estate
remained in this family for some time, and came by inheritance to the Watkinses, and afterwards, by purchase,
to other and recent proprietors. The township contains
about 800 acres; the soil on the hills is a gravelly marl,
and on the common a rich sand: the Derby and Uttoxeter road passes near. The Hall is an ancient half-timbered building, with pointed gables. A tithe modus of
£3 is paid to the Vicar of Marston. There is an ancient
HOOSE, a township, in the parish of West Kirby,
union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall,
S. division of the county of Chester, 9½ miles (N. N. W.)
from Great Neston; containing 444 inhabitants. This
township, which comprises only 74 acres, of a sandy
soil, is not mentioned in the Domesday survey; which
may be attributed to its being so small, and lying between Great and Little Meolse, of which it was probably
then a part. It has been in the possession of various
persons, among others of the family of Glegg, of Irby;
in 1812, the manor, and the greater part of the township, became the property of John Timothy Swainson,
Esq., formerly collector of the Customs of Liverpool.
The sea front of the three townships occupies a line of
upwards of five miles, reaching from the western part of
Wallasey to the village of West Kirby. The inhabitants
of Hoose are principally boatmen and fishermen, who
have frequently evinced the greatest courage and alacrity
in rescuing mariners from the horrors of shipwreck;
large banks of sand, extending for miles on the northwest, being annually the scene of most fatal disasters to
shipping. The Liverpool custom-house has a branch
establishment, or water-guard, stationed here. — See
Meolse, Great and Little.
HOOTON, a township, in the parish of Eastham,
union, and Higher division of the hundred, of Wirrall,
S. division of the county of Chester, 9 miles (N. by W.)
from Chester; containing 120 inhabitants. This place,
in the Domesday book, is included in the possessions of
Richard de Vernon, the Norman baron of Shipbrook,
under whom it was held by a family named Hotone, which
became extinct in the male line in the reign of Richard I.
It then passed by marriage to Randle Walensis or Welshman, after which alliance, his family occasionally assumed
the name of Hotone. The estate was finally conveyed
by an heiress to William de Stanley, to whom the nearest kin of the Hotones confirmed possession of the
manor, by deed, in the 12th of Henry IV. The whole
township is now the property of Sir William Stanley,
Bart. Hooton lies in one of the most pleasant situations of which the banks of the Mersey estuary can
boast, and is shaded with venerable oak-trees, of a
growth exceeding any on the shores of Wirrall: it comprises 996 acres, of a clayey soil. The Chester and Birkenhead railway passes in the immediate vicinity. The
ancient Hall, a large timbered building, erected by
licence from Henry VII., was taken down in 1778. The
present mansion is built of stone from the Stanley quarries in Storeton, after designs by Wyatt, and is a beautiful structure, standing on a gentle eminence, and commanding an extensive view of the river, and of the entire coast of Cheshire and Lancashire; the fine entrances
to the park are also from designs by Wyatt: the grand
circular stone staircase is universally admired. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £80, and the
vicarial for £3 1. 10. There is a Roman Catholic
HOOTON-LEVETT, a township, in the parish of
Maltby, union of Rotherham, S. division of the
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of
York, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Tickhill; containing 76
inhabitants. It derives the affix to its name from the
family of Levett, who held lands here, up to about the
time of Henry V. The township comprises by computation 470 acres; the soil is favourable, and the scenery
Hooton-Pagnell (All Saints)
HOOTON-PAGNELL (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Doncaster, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, W. riding of York; containing 423 inhabitants, of whom 348 are in the township, 5½ miles (N. W.
by W.) from Doncaster. This parish derives the latter
part of its name from Ralph de Paganel, to whom the
manor belonged at the time of the Conquest: it consists of the three constablewicks of Hooton and Moorhouse, Bilham, and Stotfold, which, as well as Frickley
with Clayton, are included in the manor of Hooton.
The parish comprises nearly 3000 acres, of which the
surface is varied, and the scenery picturesque, embracing
extensive views. The manor, and the chief part of the
township of Hooton, belong to St. Andrew Warde, Esq.
The manor-house is very ancient, but by whom, or at
what period built, is not known; nor can it be clearly
ascertained how long the manor continued in the family
of Paganel: it appears, however, that it afterwards belonged successively to an Earl of Southampton, to a
Giffard Lutterel, to Sir Richard Hutton, and lastly to
Colonel Bierley, of whom it was purchased by the great-grandfather of the present proprietor. The mansion is
beautifully situated, embosomed in fine plantations;
there is a curious ancient gateway and porter's lodge.
The village has an old cross in good preservation. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £5. 10. 2½.; net income, £247; patrons, the
Governors of Wakefield School. The church, which
belonged to a religious house at York, is an ancient structure with a tower.
Hooton-Roberts (St. John the Baptist)
HOOTON-ROBERTS (St. John the Baptist), a
parish, in the union of Rotherham, S. division of the
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of
York, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Rotherham; containing
175 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1036a. 1r. 11p.,
of which 34 acres are woodland, and of the remainder,
two-thirds arable and one-third pasture. Its substratum abounds with limestone and freestone; and from
the quarries of the latter, the stone was raised for the
erection of Wentworth House, Thribergh House, and
Rose Hill. Thomas, Earl of Strafford, who was beheaded
in the reign of Charles I., had a seat here, in which his
countess resided for several years after his death. The
village is situated on the road from Rotherham to Doncaster, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £7. 11. 8.; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam: the
tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £255,
and the glebe comprises 59 acres. The church is chiefly
in the later English style, with a tower, and has an enriched Norman arch.