Hope (St. Peter)
HOPE (St. Peter), a parish, and formerly a market-town, partly in the union of Chapel-en-le-Frith,
and partly in that of Bakewell, hundred of High
Peak, N. division of the county of Derby; containing
4434 inhabitants, of whom 430 are in the township of
Hope, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Tideswell. The parish
comprises the hamlets of Abney with Abney- Grange,
Great and Little Hucklow, Nether Padley, Offerton, and
Woodland-Hope; the townships of Aston, Bradwell,
Brough with Shatton, Fairfield, Fernilee, Grindlow,
Hope, Stoke, Thornhill, and part of Wardlow; and the
lordships of Hazlebadge and Highlow. The market
anciently held here, and renewed by a grant in the year
1715, was discontinued some years since. There are
fairs, chiefly for cattle, on March 28th, May 13th, the
day before the second Wednesday in September, and
October 11th. The living is a discharged vicarage, in
the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, the appropriators, valued in the king's books at £13. 13. 4.;
income, £132. The church is an embattled edifice, in the
later English style, with a tower and spire. At Fairfield
is a separate incumbency. A school is endowed with
about £10 per annum.
Hope (All Saints)
HOPE (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
liberty of Romney-Marsh, though locally in the hundred of Langport, lathe of Shepway, E. division of
Kent, 1 mile (N. W. by W.) from New Romney; containing 21 inhabitants. It comprises 1464 acres. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£10. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net
income, £173. The church is in ruins.
HOPE, a township, in the parish of Worthen, hundred of Chirbury, S. division of the county of Salop;
containing 340 inhabitants.
HOPE, a township, in the parish of Barningham,
union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N.
riding of York, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Greta-Bridge;
containing 41 inhabitants. This is a high moorland
township, comprising about 2430 acres, of which nearly
three fourths are waste; it lies to the south of the Greta
river. Lead-ore has been obtained here.
Hope-Baggot (St. John the Baptist)
HOPE-BAGGOT (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Stottesden, S.
division of Salop, 6¼ miles (E. by S.) from Ludlow;
near the road from that town to Cleobury-Mortimer;
containing 75 inhabitants. It comprises about 400
acres: stone of good quality is quarried for building,
and also for grindstones. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 8.; net income, £90, with a house; patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church has a low pyramidal spire of wood.
Hope-Bowdler (St. Andrew)
HOPE-BOWDLER (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Church-Stretton, hundred of Munslow, S.
division of Salop, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Church-Stretton; containing 184 inhabitants. The parish is situated
on the road from Church-Stretton to Wenlock, and
comprises by admeasurement 1600 acres, of which 500
are arable, 800 pasture, and 300 high land used for pasturing sheep. Excellent road-stone is quarried. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £228; patrons, the Trustees
of Mr. Benson: the glebe contains 45 acres, with a
house. The church is a small plain edifice, about 300
years old, and has a low square tower.
Hope-Mansell (St. Michael)
HOPE-MANSELL (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ross; containing 187
inhabitants. It lies in the southern part of the county,
on the borders of Gloucestershire, which bounds it on
the north-east and south-east; and consists of 1168
acres of a productive soil. Limestone abounds. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 5.,
and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes produce
£194, and the glebe contains 33½ acres.
Hope, Sollers (St. Michael)
HOPE, SOLLERS (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Ross; containing 161
inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Ross
and Hereford, and comprises 1152a. 2r. 16p., of which
about 524 acres are arable, 464 pasture, and 98 woodland: there are many orchards for the growth of apples
for cider. The parish is intersected by the road between
Gloucester and Newent. The living is a discharged rectory, united to that of How-Caple, and valued in the
king's books at £4. 3. 4.: the tithes have been commuted
for £146, and the glebe comprises 67 acres. The church
is an ancient structure.
Hope-Under-Dinmore (St. Mary)
HOPE-UNDER-DINMORE (St. Mary), a parish,
in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy,
county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Leominster; containing 586 inhabitants. This parish, which is
situated on the river Lug, and on the road from Leominster to Hereford, comprises 3657a. 2r. 6p.; the soil in
some parts is light, and in others a deep loam resting on
gravel, and appropriated chiefly to the growth of hops
and of apples. Stone of good quality for paving and
building is quarried. Hampton Court, here, the magnificent seat of the family of Arkwright, situated in a
park eight miles in circumference, was built by Sir Rowland Lenthall, who distinguished himself at Agincourt,
where he had a command, and took so many prisoners,
that with their ransom he completed the edifice. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron,
the Bishop of Hereford, who, with the family of Arkwright, is impropriator. The church was rebuilt in
1815; several members of the Coningsby family have
been interred in it, one of whom, Sir Thomas, founded
Coningsby hospital, Hereford. On the western brow of
Dinmore Hill is the site of a commandery of the Knights
of St. John of Jerusalem.
Hopesay (St. Mary)
HOPESAY (St. Mary) a parish, in the union of
Clun, hundred of Purslow, S. division of Salop, 6
miles (S. E.) from Bishop's-Castle; containing 660 inhabitants. It comprises 4021 acres, of which 198 are
common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £16. 12. 6., and in the gift of the
Adams' family: the tithes have been commuted for £502,
and the glebe contains 62 acres. A school was erected
on the waste in 1790; and John Pugh, in 1808, left £10
per annum, which, with some smaller sums, are distributed among the poor.
HOPPEN, a township, in the parish, and N. division
of the ward, of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from
Belford; containing 36 inhabitants. It is situated east
of the Waren burn, and about a mile from Lucker.
HOPSFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Withybrook, union of Foleshill, Kirby division of the
hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of
Warwick, 7¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from the city of
Coventry; containing 48 inhabitants.
HOPTON, a township, in the parish and hundred
of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby,
1¾ mile (W. by S.) from Wirksworth; containing 83
inhabitants, many of whom are employed in working
lead-mines. Hopton was the property and residence of
Sir John Gell, who, when Charles I. raised the royal
standard at Nottingham, proceeded to Derby, assembled
a strong body of troops for the parliament, and performed a conspicuous part throughout the war. Almshouses for four persons were erected in 1719, by Sir
Philip Gell, Bart., and endowed by him with a rentcharge of £22. 6. Military weapons and some other
relics of antiquity have been discovered.
Hopton, county of Stafford.—See Coton.
HOPTON, county of Stafford.—See Coton.
Hopton (All Saints)
HOPTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Thetford, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of
Suffolk, 6 miles (S.) from East Harling; containing
623 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the northeast by the Lesser Ouse, which separates Suffolk from
Norfolk; it comprises 1317a. 3r. 9p., and is pleasantly
situated on the road from Bury to Norwich. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£13. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income,
£284. The church, a handsome structure in the later
English style, with a square embattled tower, was repewed in 1830, and a gallery erected by subscription.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Hopton (St. Mary)
HOPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, E.
division of Suffolk, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Lowestoft; containing 251 inhabitants. The parish comprises the hamlet of Brotherton, and is situated on the
coast of the North Sea, by which it is bounded on the
east. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£102; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter
of Norwich, whose tithes have been commuted for
£445, and who have 6 acres of glebe.
HOPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Mirfield,
Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W.
riding of York, 3 miles (W.) from Dewsbury. This
place, though in the heart of a mining and manufacturing district, abounds in picturesque scenery; the
surface is undulated. The woollen manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent, affording employment
to nearly 300 persons: several mines of excellent coal
are in full operation; and there are some quarries of
good freestone, from which was raised the stone for
many public buildings in the neighbourhood. The Calder and Hebble canal, and the Manchester and Leeds
railway, pass through the hamlet. A church in the
pointed style, with a tower, was erected in 1844-5, partly
by the Church Commissioners. A place of worship for
Independents was built in 1839, of stone from the quarries of the place, at an expense of £3500.
Hopton, Castle (St. Mary)
HOPTON, CASTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Clun, hundred of Purslow, S. division of
Salop, 12 miles (W. by N.) from Ludlow; containing
164 inhabitants. This place was distinguished for its
castle, which was given by Henry II. to Walter de
Clifford, and which, during the parliamentary war, was
garrisoned by the royalists, but after a fortnight's siege
was surrendered to the assailants, when most of the
garrison were put to the sword, and the governor was
conveyed as a prisoner to Ludlow Castle. The parish
comprises 2524 acres, of which 861 are arable, 724
meadow and pasture, 303 woodland, and about 636
common; the soil is light, producing chiefly barley and
turnips, and the scenery is in general exceedingly beautiful. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £5, and in the gift of Thomas Beale, Esq.:
the tithes have been commuted for £280, and the glebe
contains 80 acres, with a house.
Hopton-in-the-Hole, or Hopton-Cangeford
HOPTON-IN-THE-HOLE, or Hopton-Cangeford,
a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from
Ludlow; containing 30 inhabitants, and comprising 500
acres by computation. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £47; patron and impropriator, Sir W. R.
Boughton, Bart. The church is modern.
Hopton, Monk (St. Peter)
HOPTON, MONK (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Bridgnorth, liberty of the borough of Wenlock, S. division of Salop, 7 miles (W.) from Bridgnorth: containing 189 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road lately completed between Bridg-north
and Ludlow. It consists of arable and pasture, the former of which predominates; the soil is a strong retentive red clay, and the chief produce wheat and barley.
The surface is diversified with numerous undulations,
hills, and dales, and is interesting and picturesque; yewtrees abound, and grow with unusual luxuriance. There
are quarries of limestone. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £56; patron, Sir Francis Lawley,
Bart.: the glebe is valued at about £25 per annum.
The church has been entirely rebuilt, at the cost of Sir
F. Lawley, who, by his benevolent and judicious efforts,
has given to the whole parish a new and highly improved
Hopton-Wafers (St. Michael)
HOPTON-WAFERS (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from
Cleobury-Mortimer, and 11 (W. by N.) from Bewdley;
containing 481 inhabitants. The parish is situated on
the road from Birmingham to Ludlow, and comprises
by measurement 1610 acres, of which 1300 are arable,
pasture, and woodland, and 310 common and roads.
The surface is hilly, the scenery very pleasing, and the
soil a stiff clay, and stony. On the Clee hills are coal
works. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £5. 16. 5½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Lucy
Botfield: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and
the glebe consists of 84 acres, with a house. The church
was rebuilt on an enlarged scale in 1828, by the late
Thomas Botfield, Esq., of Hopton Court, in the parish,
the present residence of Mrs. Botfield. The Ranters
have a place of worship; and there is a school with an
endowment. Here are a spring of water resembling that
of Malvern, and one of chalybeate quality. Old Parr, and
the Infant Roscius, were natives of the parish.
HOPWAS-HAYES, an extra-parochial liberty, locally in the parish and union of Tamworth, S. division
of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Tamworth: containing 4
inhabitants, and comprising 317 acres of land. The
Birmingham and Fazeley canal passes through. Here
is a church dedicated to St. John, in the gift of Capt.
A'Court. Thomas Barnes, in 1724, gave a messuage,
the annual value of which, £14, is applied to purposes
HOPWELL, a hamlet, in the parish of Wilne,
union of Shardlow, hundred of Morlaston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles
(E.) from Derby, on the road to Nottingham; containing
25 inhabitants. The manor of "Opewelle" was held by
Ralph Fitz-Hubert, under the Bishop of Chester, at the
time of the Domesday survey; in 1296 it was held by
Ralph de Shirley, under the Earl of Lancaster. It afterwards passed to the Sacheverells, one of whom, in
1661, bequeathed it to his cousin Henry Hayes, who sold
the property in 1731: in 1784 it came by purchase to
the father of the present owner, Thomas Pares, Esq., late
M.P. for Leicester. The hamlet comprises 650 acres,
of which two-thirds are pasture, and one-third arable,
with some woodland; the soil is a strong clay, the land
elevated, and extensive views are obtained into the
shires of Nottingham, Leicester, Northampton, and Stafford. Hopwell Hall, a handsome brick edifice built in
1720, and standing in a well wooded park of about 90
acres, is the seat of Mr. Pares.
HOPWOOD, a township, in the parish of Middleton, union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division
of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Middleton;
containing, with part of the chapelry of Birch, 1545 inhabitants. A family of the local name was seated here
for many centuries, probably from Saxon times. In
1359, Adam de Hopwood was one of the inquisition at
Preston held before Thomas de Seton and others, justices, to determine a dispute between Henry, Duke of
Lancaster, and Roger de la Warre. On the death of
Dr. Robert Hopwood, in the early part of the eighteenth
century, when the family became extinct, the estates
passed to the Gregges, who assumed the additional name
of Hopwood. The township comprises 984 acres of
land. Hopwood Hall is an old-fashioned house, pleasing
in aspect and agreeable in situation, with tolerably extensive pleasure-grounds, tastefully laid out. Stanicliffe
is a venerable building partly of timber, and Siddall an
old homestead that gave name to Siddall moor, a large
common inclosed a few years ago. The tithes have been
commuted for £60. A school is endowed with the interest of £100.
Horbling (St. Andrew)
HORBLING (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Bourne, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (E. by N.) from Falkingham; containing, with the hamlet of Bridge-End, 571
inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Bourne to
Boston, and comprises by measurement 2650 acres, in
addition to which there are 303 acres by computation.
Stone for rough building, and for the roads, is quarried.
The fen drains at Dinnington High Bridge, which bound
the parish to the east, afford facilities of navigation. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £6. 10.; net income, £290, arising from land given
in lieu of tithes in 1764; patron and appropriator, the
Bishop of Lincoln. The church combines portions in
the Norman, and in the early, decorated, and later
English styles. Here is a school endowed with £30 per
annum in 1691 by Edward Brown, who also bequeathed
a fund for apprenticing children. The parish contains
a spring of remarkably pure water, never varying either
in quantity or temperature. To the east of the village
are some remains of the Roman Cardyke.