HULSE, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division
of the county of Chester, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Northwich; containing 53 inhabitants, and comprising 294
acres, the soil of which is clay and sand.
HULTON-ABBEY, a township, in the parish of
Burslem, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N.
division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county
of Stafford, 2 miles (E.) from Burslem; containing
548 inhabitants, and comprising about 1400 acres. It
is situated near the Caldon canal, which passes on the
west. Coal-mines are wrought extensively in the neighbourhood. At Sneyd-Green is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. An abbey of Cistercian monks, in honour
of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in 1223 by
Henry de Audley, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £76. 14. 11.: the remains have been converted
into farm buildings.
Hulton, Little, or Peel
HULTON, LITTLE, or Peel, a chapelry, in the
parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (S.) from
Bolton; containing 3052 inhabitants. This place, though
having the diminutive epithet, is among the most interesting and important of the townships in the parish.
The Hultons were the early lords; but the late Duke of
Bridgewater from the high, and as the result has proved,
the just, estimate he formed of the value of the minerals,
purchased the manor, which is now vested in his heirs.
The township is situated on the old mail road from
Manchester to Chorley, and on the Roman road from
Manchester, and comprises 1470 acres; it stands elevated, and commands fine views of Cheshire. The soil
is of good quality, and mostly in pasture and meadow;
excellent coal is obtained, and also stone, of which the
church at Tyldesley was built. A cotton-mill is in operation. Old Peel Hall is a fine specimen of Elizabethan
architecture, belonging to Lord Kenyon, and another
noble mansion called Peel Hall, built in 1846, in the
same style, is the seat of Jacob Fletcher Fletcher, Esq.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of
Lord Kenyon; net income, £161, with a house. The
chapel, dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated in 1760,
and enlarged in 1818. There are places of worship for
Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
HULTON, MIDDLE, a township, in the parish of
Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Bolton;
containing 902 inhabitants. This township is situated,
like the preceding, on the old mail road from Manchester to Chorley and Preston. It comprises 1280 acres,
of which two-thirds are meadow and pasture, and the
remainder arable; the surface is level, the soil a stiffish
clay, and of moderate quality, and the views from some
parts extensive. Excellent coal of the common kind is
abundant, as is also cannel coal; and there is a sandstone-quarry. The township is chiefly the property of
the Earl of Ellesmere and the Rev. Egerton Bagot, by
whom an infant school was built in 1837, in which
Church service is occasionally performed.
HULTON, OVER, a township, in the parish of
Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S.
division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles (S. W.) from Bolton;
containing 445 inhabitants. It comprises 1300 acres,
chiefly arable land, and entirely the property of William
Hulton, Esq., of Hulton Park. The old Hall, the residence of this gentleman's ancestors through many generations, stood upon the site of the present mansion,
which is of modern erection; the park is laid out in
plantations and pleasure-grounds upon an extensive
scale. The ancient chapel attached to the house no
longer exists. A handsome school-house was built by
Mr. Hulton a few years ago. The substratum of the
township is coal.
HULVERSTREET, a hamlet, in the parish of Henstead, union of Blything, hundred of Wangford, E.
division of the county of Suffolk; containing 293 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Humber (St. Mary)
HUMBER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from the town of Leominster; containing, with part of the township of Risbury,
247 inhabitants, of whom 71 are in Humber township.
It is watered by a branch of the river Lug, and comprises 1362 acres. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 3., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £170.
HUMBERSHOE, a hamlet, in the parish of Studham, union of Luton, hundred of Manshead, county
of Bedford; containing 374 inhabitants.
Humberston (St. Peter)
HUMBERSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts
of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (S. E.) from
Great Grimsby; containing 269 inhabitants. The parish
is situated on the banks of the Humber, and comprises
by measurement upwards of 3000 acres, about half of
which is pasture, and the remainder arable; the surface
is flat, and the soil clayey, producing chiefly wheat,
beans, and oats. The Louth navigation joins the Humber on the south of the parish. The village, which is
distant nearly two miles from the Humber, is neatly
built, and finely interspersed with trees. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£5. 18. 4.; net income, £63; patron, Lord Carrington;
appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church, with
the exception of the tower, which is handsome and in
the Tudor style, was rebuilt of red brick in the early part
of the last century, at an expense of £1000, the bequest
of Matthew Humberston, Esq., who died and was interred here in 1709, and to whom there is a splendid
monument. For the rebuilding of the church, the
parish, by act of parliament, was made tithe free, on
payment of about £20 per annum to the rector and
vicar. Mr. Humberston also left £1100 to build and
endow a school and some almshouses, but the sum remained unappropriated till 1818, when, the funds having accumulated to £24,867, a building was erected,
according to a decree of the court of chancery, at a
cost of £5000, including the purchase of the site, comprising ten acres of land. The income is £655, of which
£100 are paid to the head master, who is vicar of the
parish, £80 to an under master, and £30 to the mistress
of the girls' school; each of the six inmates of the almshouses has £16 per annum, with coal and other supplies.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A Benedictine monastery was founded here in the reign of
Henry II., the revenue of which, at the Dissolution,
was £42. 11. 3.
Humberstone (St. Mary)
HUMBERSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Billesdon, hundred of East Goscote, N. division
of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from
Leicester; containing 462 inhabitants. The name has
been variously spelt Humerstane and Hubstayn. The
manor was granted by the Conqueror to Hugh de
Grentemaisnel, and was held as part of the honour of
Leicester, in 1474, by Sir William Haselrigge: part was
also held by Leicester and Croxton Abbeys. In 1750
the manor was purchased by the Pochin family. The
parish is situated near the road from Leicester to Uppingham, and comprises by admeasurement 1500 acres,
nearly equally divided between arable and pasture land.
The village is pleasantly seated on a declivity north of a
small rivulet. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £200;
patron, Halford Adcock, Esq.; impropriators, the family
of Hartopp. The tithes were commuted for land and
annual money payments, on the inclosure of the parish,
in the 28th of George III., when a small allotment was
also made for the benefit of the poor. The church is a
neat structure, with a lofty tower crowned by a handsome spire, and contains portions in the early and later
English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Humberton, with Milby
HUMBERTON, with Milby, a township, partly in
the parish of Kirby-on-the-Moor, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding, and partly in the parish of Aldborough, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W.
riding, of York, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Boroughbridge;
containing 182 inhabitants. It is situated on the north
side of the river Ure, and comprises by computation
2320 acres of land. The Ure, which separates the
township from Aldborough, was crossed by a wooden
bridge, at Milby, before the Conquest, and some remains of the bridge are still visible when the water is
low. The hamlet of Humberton lies about a mile to
the west of the Swale.
HUMBLETON, a township, in the parish of Dinnington, union, and E. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 1 mile (W. N.
W.) from Wooler; containing 185 inhabitants. This
place is memorable as the scene of a sanguinary battle
in 1402, between the Scots under Earl Douglas, who
had previously laid waste the country as far as Newcastle, and the English army under Lord Percy and the
Earl of March; the former to the number of 10,000
men were defeated, with great slaughter, and in commemoration a pillar has been erected on the plain, which,
from the number of the slain, retains the name of Redriggs. The township comprises about 1500 acres, of
which 600 are meadow and pasture, and the remainder
arable: the lands near the village are in good cultivation, and the soil, consisting chiefly of debris of porphyrean rock, is fertile; the hills afford pasture for sheep,
and the scenery is embellished with several belts of plantations. On rising ground near Humbleton burn, is an
ancient encampment called Green Castle; and on the
summit of Humbleton Hill, overlooking the field of
battle, is a circular intrenchment, with a large cairn:
the declivity of the hill is cut into terraces rising above
each other to the height of 20 feet. A stone coffin,
inclosing the remains of a gigantic skeleton and an urn,
was discovered here in 1811; and there are some remains of a chapel and burial-ground.
Humbleton (St. Peter)
HUMBLETON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of
Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the
townships of Danthorpe, Fitling, and Flinton, and the
chapelry of Elstronwick, 568 inhabitants, of whom 137
are in the township of Humbleton, 5 miles (N. E. by N.)
from Hedon. This place, in Domesday book called
Humeltone, was given, under the style of Humel's town,
by William de Scures to the abbey of Thornton, in
Lincolnshire, in the year 1162; at the dissolution of
monasteries the manor came to the crown, and it is
now held by Lord Hotham. The parish comprises
5920 acres, of which about one-third is pasture land:
the surface is in some parts level, in others undulated,
and the soil mostly a rich clay; the scenery is generally
pleasing and embellished with wood. The village is
small, neatly built, and picturesquely seated. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£10. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £230; impropriator, Lord Hotham. The church
is an ancient and handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the altarpiece has a painting of the Transfiguration, after Raphael, presented by Miss Dixon. There is a chapel of
ease at Elstronwick. Francis Heron, in 1718, devised
land now producing an income of £70, for the endowment of a school, with a house and garden for the master, who receives £45 per annum; the remaining £25
are appropriated to apprenticing children.
HUMBY, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish of
Somerby, union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Falkingham; containing
28 inhabitants. The tithes of Great and Little Humby
were commuted for land in 1795.
HUMBY, LITTLE, a hamlet, in the parish of Ropsley, union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs
and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5½
miles (W. by S.) from Falkingham; containing 69 inhabitants. It consists of 776 acres of land, whereof 124
are woods and plantations.
HUMSHAUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Simonburn, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale
ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. by
W.) from Hexham; containing 411 inhabitants. This
chapelry, which is bounded on the east by the North
Tyne, and on the south by the old Roman wall, comprises by measurement 2710 acres. Limestone is abundant, and is quarried chiefly for agricultural purposes.
Humshaugh House commands fine views of the North
Tyne. The living is a perpetual curacy; patrons, the
Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The tithes have been
commuted for £198, payable to the rector of Simonburn,
by whom the curate's stipend of £120 is paid; the
glebe comprises 3 acres. The chapel (a neat cruciform
structure) and the parsonage-house were erected, and a
cemetery formed, in 1818, at an expense of about
HUNCOAT, a township, in the parochial chapelry
of Church-Kirk, parish of Whalley, hundred of
Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 5 miles (W. S. W.)
from Burnley; containing 467 inhabitants. This was a
royal manor in the reign of the Confessor, who, in the
great survey, is recorded to have held two carucates in
"Hunnicott." James de Huncote, and John his son,
occur in the reign of Edward I.; the Hall was occupied
by this family, and afterwards became the seat of the
Birdtwisells, Botteswells, and Rigbys, all long extinct.
The estate became latterly the property of the Townley
family. The township comprises 551 acres; the Leeds
and Liverpool canal passes at its northern extremity.
There is a Baptist place of worship, erected in 1817–18.
HUNCOTE, a hamlet, in the parish of Narborough, union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S.
division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. W.)
from Leicester; containing 425 inhabitants. A rentcharge of £230 has been awarded as a commutation for
the tithes. Here was anciently a chapel.
HUNDERSFIELD, a division, in the parish of
Rochdale, partly in the union of Todmorden, but
chiefly in that of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S.
division of Lancashire; comprising the four townships
of Blatchinworth with Calderbrook, Todmorden with
Walsden, Wardleworth, and Wuerdle with Wardle;
and containing 30,042 inhabitants. The original name
of the division, according to Dr. Whitaker, was Honorsfield, from Honorius, a Saxon chief; but it is equally probable, from many of the belligerent appellations in this
part of the parish, such as War-dell, War-land, Redditch, &c., that in early times the place was the scene of
some memorable victory, and was hence called the "Field
of Honour," or Honorsfield. Mention of Michael de
Hunrisfield, son of Suard, lord of Hunrisfield, occurs in
a deed without date, but fixed by collateral circumstances in the reign of Stephen. This extensive lordship was afterwards in possession of an ancient family
named Stubley, who occupied Stubley Hall. The division is seven miles and three-quarters in length and five
miles in breadth, and forming the eastern portion of the
parish, is skirted on the Yorkshire side by the lofty ridges
of Blackstone-Edge, Walsden-Edge, and Stony-Edge.
While the ancient part of Rochdale is comprehended
within the divisions of Castleton and Butterworth, the
more modern and handsome part of the town extends
itself into Hundersfield, of which it forms the southwest extremity. There are numerous places of worship, which are noticed in the articles on Rochdale and
the townships comprehended in the division.
HUNDERTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of
Romald-Kirk, union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York; 5¾ miles (N. W. by W.)
from the town of Barnard-Castle; containing 280 inhabitants. It is situated on the western acclivities of
Teesdale, and comprises about 6299 acres, of which
4090 are open moor: the hamlets of Hurry, NewHouses, Thorngate-hill, and Wodencroft, are in the
township. The tithes have been commuted for £77.
Hundleby (St. Mary)
HUNDLEBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts
of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1 mile (N. W. by W.)
from the town of Spilsby; containing 612 inhabitants.
The living is a discharged vicarage, held by sequestration, and valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 4.; net
income, £118; patron, Lord Willoughby de Eresby.
HUNDON, a hamlet, in the parish and poor-law
union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of
Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln;
containing 69 inhabitants.
Hundon (All Saints)
HUNDON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles
(N. N. W.) from Clare; containing 1095 inhabitants,
and comprising by computation 4300 acres. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£7. 13. 4.; net income, £201; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. In a building attached to the church is a
noble pyramidal monument to the memory of Arethusa,
daughter of Lord Clifford, and wife of James Vernon,
Esq. A school was built near the church by James
Vernon, who also, in 1737, gave a bequest towards its
support, of which £10 per annum are a rent-charge
on the property of Sir R. Harland, Bart. There is an
estate of 113 acres, producing a rental of £120, for
repairing the church and relieving the poor. A variety
of Saxon coins, of Athelstan, Edred, and Edmund,
were found in digging a grave, in 1687.
HUNDRIDGE, a hamlet, in the parish of Chesham,
union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham, county of
Buckingham; containing 424 inhabitants.
Hungerford (St. Lawrence)
HUNGERFORD (St. Lawrence), a market-town
and parish, and the head of a union, chiefly in the
hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, but
partly in that of Kinwardstone, S. division of Wilts;
containing, with the tythings of Edington with Hidden
and Newtown, Sanden-Fee, and Charnham-Street, 2724
inhabitants, of whom 1811 are in the town, 26 miles
(W. by S.) from Reading, and 64 (W. by S.) from London. This place was anciently called Ingleford Charman Street, a name signifying "the ford of the Angles
on the Ermin-street," a Roman road which crossed the
site of the town: the adjunct is still preserved in one of
its avenues, now styled Charnham-street. It stands on
the road from London to Bath, partly on the declivity
of a hill, and is particularly salubrious: the houses in
general have a respectable appearance; the streets are
partially lighted, and the inhabitants are plentifully supplied with water from wells. At the entrance into the
town the river Kennet is crossed by a handsome bridge
of five arches; and the Kennet and Avon canal, which
passes through the town, affords a line of communication with Bath and Bristol, for the conveyance of corn,
coal, and other heavy articles. An act was passed in
1845, for a railway to Reading, 25½ miles in length.
There are an extensive brewery, and a tan-yard. Near
the centre of the principal street is the market-house,
a neat structure of brick, erected in 1787, which contains a spacious room for the transaction of public business. The market is on Wednesday; and fairs are
held on the last Wednesday in April for cattle, and on
the Wednesdays before and after Old Michaelmas-day,
which are statute-fairs. The town is under the government of a prescriptive corporation, consisting of a bailiff,
portreeve, two tythingmen, a constable, twelve burgesses,
and a town-clerk. The constable, who is also coroner,
and holds his office immediately under the crown, is
chosen with the other officers on Hock-Tuesday, by the
inhabitants, who are convened on that occasion by the
sound of a brazen horn, said to have been presented to
the townsmen by John of Gaunt, who granted them extensive rights of common pasture, and fishery in the
Kennet. The powers of the county debt-court of Hungerford, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Hungerford.
The parish comprises by admeasurement 5144 acres.
The benefice is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean
and Canons of Windsor (the appropriators), valued in
the king's books at £9. 13. 4.; net income, £429. The
church is a handsome edifice, erected on the site of the
former church, in 1814, at the extremity of a pleasant
walk, shaded by lofty trees, on the western side of the
town; it has an embattled tower. A window of painted
glass, representing the tutelar saint, was presented by
Mr. Collins, of London; and in the north aisle is a
circular stone, with a brass plate, to the memory of
Robert de Hungerford, who was the first of that family
settled in this county. There are places of worship for
Independents and Wesleyans. A free school for boys
and girls was founded in 1636, by the Rev. Dr. Sheaff,
and endowed by Mr. Hamblen in 1729, and Mrs. Cummins in 1735. The poor-law union of Hungerford comprises twenty-one parishes or places, of which there are
ten in each of the counties of Berks and Wilts, and one in
that of Southampton, the whole containing 19,892
inhabitants. Hungerford Park, situated at the extremity
of the town, was the residence of the barons of Hungerford: the present mansion stands on the site of a house
built by Queen Elizabeth, and given by her to the
Earl of Essex. Dr. Samuel Chandler, a learned dissenting minister and theological writer, was born here in