Kinnerley (St. Mary)
KINNERLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred
of Oswestry, N. division of Salop, 6 miles (S. E. by S.)
from the town of Oswestry; containing 1286 inhabitants.
This parish, which is intersected by the great Holyhead
road, comprises about 5000 acres. A castle here was
demolished during the minority of Henry III., by
Llewelyn, Prince of Wales, who agreed to make reparation for the act; but the building was never habitable
afterwards. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £7. 6. 8., and in the patronage
of the Crown; net income, £114. The church is a plain
Kinnersley (St. James)
KINNERSLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union
of Weobley, partly in the hundred of Wolphy, but
chiefly in that of Stretford, county of Hereford,
4½ miles (W. by S.) from Weobley; containing 281 inhabitants. This place had a castle of some importance
before the Conquest, the remains of which have been
converted into a residence. The parish comprises by
measurement 2400 acres. Facilities of conveyance are
afforded by the river Wye, and by the road between Weobley and Hay, which passes through the village. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13.
8. 4., and in the patronage of Mrs. Clarke: the tithes
have been commuted for £415, and the glebe comprises
24 acres. The church is in the early English style.
Kinnersley (St. Chad)
KINNERSLEY (St. Chad), a parish, in the union
of Wellington, Newport division of the hundred of
South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4¾ miles
(N. N. E.) from Wellington; containing 295 inhabitants,
and comprising 1789 acres by measurement. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 8.,
and in the gift of the Duke of Sutherland: the tithes
have been commuted for £340, and the glebe comprises
82 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the
early English style. About half a mile from it are the
remains of a large encampment, called the Wall, supposed to be of British origin.
KINNERTON, LOWER, a township, in the parish
of Doddleston, union of Great Boughton, Lower
division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the
county of Chester, 5¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Chester; containing 73 inhabitants, and comprising 519
acres, of which the soil is clay.
KINNEYSIDE, a township, in the parish of St.
Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above
Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3¾ miles (N. E.
by N.) from Egremont; containing 223 inhabitants, of
whom many are employed in some extensive lead-mines
here, and others at a smelting-mill belonging to the
London Lead Company.
Kinoulton (St. Wilfrid)
KINOULTON (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union
of Bingham, S. division of the wapentake of Bingham
and of the county of Nottingham, 9 miles (S. E.) from
Nottingham; containing 388 inhabitants. This parish,
which is bounded on the west by the ancient Fosseroad, comprises by computation 4000 acres. The soil is
partly a strong clay, and partly of lighter quality; the
surface is in general flat, though in some parts hilly,
and there are some fine tracts of rich grazing-land. The
Grantham canal passes through the parish. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£7. 18. 11.; net income, £160; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. There was anciently a
chapel at Newbold, in the parish; and the archbishops
of York had a palace here, of which no remains exist.
In the neighbourhood is an excellent chalybeate spring.
KINSHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Bredon,
union of Tewkesbury, Middle division of the hundred
of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county
of Worcester, 1 mile (S. E.) from Bredon; containing
128 inhabitants, and comprising 315a. 2r. 39p.
KINSHAM, LOWER, a township, in the parish and
poor-law union of Presteign, hundred of Wigmore,
county of Hereford; containing 55 inhabitants.
KINSHAM, UPPER, a parish, in the union of
Presteign, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 3½ miles (E.) from Presteign; containing 97 inhabitants. It comprises 1149 acres, and is intersected by
the road from Presteign to Ludlow, and by the river
Lug. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £15;
patron and impropriator, Lyndon Evelyn, Esq.
Kintbury (St. Mary)
KINTBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Hungerford, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of
Berks, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Hungerford; containing,
with the tything of Holt, 1881 inhabitants. The Kennet
and Avon canal passes through the parish; and on the
banks of the river Kennet, here, is a silk-throwing mill.
Kintbury had formerly a market on Friday, and fairs on
the festival of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, and on
that of St. Simon and St. Jude, granted in 1268 to the
nuns of Amesbury. The living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £20, and in the gift of Admiral
Dundas, who, with others, is impropriator: the great
tithes have been commuted for £402, and the vicarial
for £803; the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church is
partly in the Norman style. At Dentford Park, in the
parish, a district church was consecrated on the 23rd of
August, 1834; it was built and endowed at the expense
of George Henry Cherry, Esq., and is in the early English style, with a beautiful embattled tower and four
spires. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
In digging a grave, in 1762, a considerable number of
Saxon coins, of Edred, Edwy, and Edmund, was discovered under a skull.
KINVASTON, a township, in the parish of Wolverhampton, union of Penkridge, E. division of the
hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of
Stafford, 8½ miles (N.) from Wolverhampton; containing 21 inhabitants. This is a small detached member of the parish, and consists of a single farm. Dr.
James, a distinguished physician, was born here in 1703.
Kinver, county of Stafford.—See Kinfare.
KINVER, county of Stafford.—See Kinfare.
KINWALSEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Hamptonin-Arden, union of Meriden, Solihull division of the
hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of
Warwick; containing 25 inhabitants, and comprising
114 acres. This is a small hamlet, which derived its
name, as Dugdale conjectures, from a Saxon possessor.
Kinwarton (St. Mary)
KINWARTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Alcester, Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 1 mile
(N. E.) from Alcester; containing 67 inhabitants. This
parish, which comprises about 450 acres, is situated on
the road from Alcester to Henley, and bounded on the
south-east by the river Arrow. The name is supposed
to be that of a Saxon possessor. The manor was
granted to Evesham Abbey on its foundation in the
year 714; and the monks held a court leet here, and
had divers other privileges from the time of Edward I.
In the 32nd of Henry VIII., Kinwarton was granted to
Anthony Skinner, of London, from whose grandson it
was purchased by Sir Fulke Greville and Lord Brooke.
The living is a rectory, with the livings of Great Alne
and Weethley annexed, valued in the king's books at
£7. 11. 0½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester.
The tithes were commuted for land on the inclosure of
the parish; the glebe comprises altogether 120 acres,
and, with the glebes of Alne and Weethley, is valued at
about £440 per annum, net. The church is an ancient
structure, in the early English style.
KIPLIN, a township, in the parish of Catterick,
union of Northallerton, wapentake of GillingEast, N. riding of York, 2¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Catterick; containing 114 inhabitants. It comprises about
1250 acres, the property and manor of the Earl of Tyrconnell, whose seat of Kiplin Hall is a handsome mansion,
in an extensive park. The village, which is small, is
seated in the picturesque and well-wooded vale of a rivulet. This was the birthplace of Sir G. Calvert, created
Lord Baltimore in Ireland by James I., in the year
1624, and who established colonies in Newfoundland
Kippax (St. Mary)
KIPPAX (St. Mary), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York,
8 miles (E. by S.) from Leeds; containing, with the townships of Allerton-Bywater, Great and Little Preston, and
part of Ledstone, 2232 inhabitants, of whom 1214 are
in the township of Kippax. This parish, in the Domesday survey Chepesch, is situated near the river Aire, and
comprises by computation 4000 acres: the soil is a light
mould, resting on limestone, and the scenery is picturesque. The village is on an eminence, and the surface generally rises gradually from the river towards the
north. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £5. 7. 1.; net income, £329; patron,
the Crown; impropriator, W. Hastings Medhurst, Esq.,
who is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted
for land, under acts of inclosure, in 1791 and 1805;
the glebe comprises 50 acres, with a house. The church
is an ancient structure. Here are places of worship for
Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. A school was
founded about the year 1544, by George Goldsmith, who
endowed it with land now producing £22 per annum;
and there are four almshouses for widows, built by Sir
John Bland, Bart.
Kirby-Bedon (St. Andrew)
KIRBY-BEDON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E.) from Norwich; containing, with
Kirby-Bedon St. Mary, 265 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 625 acres, of which 424 are arable, 160 pasture, 38 in woods, and the remainder glebe. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£6. 4. 9½., and in the gift of H. Muskett, Esq.: the
tithes have been commuted for £250, and there are
7 acres of glebe, with a commodious and handsome
house. The church, which is chiefly in the later English style, consists of a nave and chancel, with a low
tower; the entrance on the south is by a Norman
Kirby-Bedon (St. Mary),
KIRBY-BEDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk,
3 miles (S. E.) from the city of Norwich. It is bounded
on the north-east by the navigable river Yare, and comprises 743a. 1r. 35p., chiefly arable land. The church
forms a picturesque ruin.
Kirby-Bellars (St. Peter)
KIRBY-BELLARS (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland,
N. division of the county of Leicester, 3½ miles (W.
by S.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 236 inhabitants. It takes the adjunct to its name from the foundation of a college here in the reign of Edward II. by
Roger Beller, for a warden and twelve priests; this
college, in 1359, was made conventual, for a prior and
Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, and at the
Dissolution the revenue was estimated at £178. 7. 10.
The parish comprises 2600 acres; it is situated on the
road from Melton to Leicester, and on the navigable
river Wreak. Here, also, is a station of the Syston and
Peterborough railway. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £84; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert
Burdett, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for land.
The church is a neat plain edifice of stone, with a tower
surmounted by a lofty spire. In 1821, many teeth and
bones of the elephant and other animals, together with
the horns of the antelope, and also an urn containing
black beads, were dug up.
Kirby-Cane (All Saints)
KIRBY-CANE (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering,
E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W.) from Beccles;
containing 458 inhabitants. This parish derives its
name, originally Kirkby-Camp, of which its modern appellation is a corruption, from an ancient camp at
Pewters' Hill, where, about the year 1815, several skeletons, celts, and various warlike instruments, were turned
up by the plough. Near the church is the Hall, a handsome mansion. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of
Lord Berners: the tithes have been commuted for
£425, and the glebe comprises 41 acres. The church is
in the early English style, with a circular tower and
other Norman details; the east window has been embellished with ancient stained glass by Lord Berners.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
KIRBY, COLD, a parish, in the union of Helmsley, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 7
miles (E. N. E.) from Thirsk; containing 182 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2100 acres, of
which about two-thirds are arable, and one-third pasture and meadow. The village is situated close to
Hamilton Plain, and south of the Hamilton hills. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £63; patron,
Thomas Duncombe, Esq., of Copgrove. The church
was rebuilt in 1842, at the sole expense of the patron,
who also presented a communion-service of plate.
Kirby-Grindalyth (St. Andrew)
KIRBY-GRINDALYTH (St. Andrew), a parish,
in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E.
riding of York, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Sledmere; containing, with the townships of Duggleby and Thirkleby,
474 inhabitants, of whom 195 are in the township of
Kirby-Grindalyth. The land is mostly arable, with
some meadow, and large sheep-walks; the soil is thin,
and rests on chalk and flint. The village is situated in
a picturesque vale, where are some fine plantations. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £8. 9. 7.; patron, Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart.,
who is lord of the manor. The church, rebuilt in
1826 at the cost of £400, is a neat edifice, with a square
tower surmounted by a spire.
Kirby-Horton, Kent.—See Horton, Kirby.
KIRBY-HORTON, Kent.—See Horton, Kirby