LANGLEY, a township, in the parish and union
of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N.
division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N. W.)
from Durham; containing 81 inhabitants. This place
was probably the residence of Henry, Lord Scroop, temp.
Henry VIII., and was the occasional seat of his descendants, who held the estate till the death of the Earl of
Sunderland, in 1630, when it passed by marriage to the
Marquess of Winchester, in whose family it remained
till, in the middle of the last century, it was sold to the
Lambtons. The township comprises about 2500 acres,
and is situated on the road from Durham to Lanchester.
On the bank of the river Browney are the ruins of a
castellated mansion, formerly belonging to the Scroops,
and part of which has been converted into a farmhouse.
The view from it over the vale of the Browney is wild
and varied; and in front, to the east, the cathedral rises
majestically over the Durham hills.
Langley (St. John the Evangelist)
LANGLEY (St. John the Evangelist), a parish,
in the union of Saffron-Walden, hundred of Clavering, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W. by N.) from
Newport; containing 448 inhabitants. It comprises
1617a. 2r. 27p., of which 807 acres are arable, 500 pasture, 260 woodland, and 50 waste. The living is an
endowed vicarage, annexed to the living of Clavering;
impropriators, the Governors of the Hospitals of Christchurch, Bethlehem, and St. Thomas, London. The great
tithes have been commuted for £152, and the vicarial
for £153; the glebe comprises 47 acres. The church is
a very ancient edifice. There is a place of worship for
LANGLEY, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Hitchin, hundred of Hitchin and Pirton, county of
Herts; containing, with Missenden, 170 inhabitants.
Langley (St. Mary)
LANGLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4 miles (S. E.) from Maidstone; containing 294 inhabitants. It comprises 1263a.
1r. 24p., of which 923 acres are arable and pasture, 280
woodland, and about 60 acres heath and waste. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 19. 9½.;
net income, £390, with a house; patron, P. Pusey, Esq.
The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
Langley (St. Michael)
LANGLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N.) from Loddon; containing
323 inhabitants. This place was distinguished as the
site of an abbey, founded and liberally endowed in 1198,
by Robert Fitz-Roger Helke, for Præmonstratensian
canons; the establishment flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £128. 19. 9.:
there are considerable remains of the buildings. The
parish is on the navigable river Yare, and comprises 2723
acres, of which 475 are common or waste; the scenery
is pleasingly diversified. Langley Park, the seat of Sir
W. B. Proctor, Bart., is a stately mansion with a portico
of the Doric order; in the grounds is an ancient cross.
The inhabitants had formerly the privilege of a market,
granted in the reign of John. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £50; patron and impropriator, Sir
W. B. Proctor, whose tithes have been commuted for
£400. The church is a handsome structure, with a
square embattled tower, and is remarkable for the beauty
of its windows, which were all embellished with richlystained glass by the late Sir T. B. Proctor; in the
chancel are several neat monuments to the Beauchamp
and Proctor families.
LANGLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Shiptonunder-Whichwood, union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 5 miles (N. E.)
from Burford; containing 68 inhabitants. A palace
belonging to King John was formerly situated here, and
a portion of the walls is still remaining. There is a
quarry of rough marble susceptible of a very high
Langley, county of Salop.—See Ruckley.
LANGLEY, county of Salop.—See Ruckley.
LANGLEY, a tything, in the parish of Wiveliscombe, union of Wellington, W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury and of the county of Somerset;
containing 1499 inhabitants.
LANGLEY, a tything, in the parish of Eling, union
of New-Forest, hundred of Redbridge, Romsey and
S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing
LANGLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Claverdon,
union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Henley division of
the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county
of Warwick, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Henley; containing 179 inhabitants. In the Conqueror's time this
place was possessed by Robert de Stadford, and contained
woods one mile in length and half a mile in breadth. In
the reign of Henry VI., Richard Beauchamp, Earl of
Warwick, was lord. The hamlet comprises 991 acres
of tolerably good land, and is watered by a small tributary of the river Avon.
LANGLEY, a tything, in the parish of Kington
St. Michael, union of Chippenham, N. division of
the hundred of Damerham, Chippenham and Calne,
and N. divisions of the county of Wilts, 2¼ miles (N.)
from Chippenham; containing 601 inhabitants.
LANGLEY, a township, and ecclesiastical district,
in the parish of Hales-Owen, union of Bromsgrove,
Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, HalesOwen and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5
miles (W. by S.) from Birmingham; containing about
2700 inhabitants, of whom 802 are in the township.
This district was constituted in January, 1846, under
the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37.
It comprises about 473 acres, the Wolverhampton level
of the Worcester canal being its northern boundary.
The surface, formerly agricultural and pretty, is now defaced by mounds, and the smoke of coal and ironstone
mines, and brick-kilns: there are also chemical-works,
and many of the inhabitants are nailers. The HalesOwen and Birmingham road runs through. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and
the Bishop of Worcester, alternately. A church is in
course of erection, the cost of which is estimated at
£2500; a parsonage-house will also be built, at an expense of £1000, and it is proposed to erect national
schools. There are places of worship for Independents
Langley, Abbots (St. Lawrence)
LANGLEY, ABBOTS (St. Lawrence), a parish,
in the union of Watford, hundred of Cashio, or liberty
of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 1¾ mile (E. by S.)
from King's-Langley; containing 2115 inhabitants. It
has some corn and paper mills. The Grand Junction
canal passes through the parish, and the London and
Birmingham railway within less than a mile of the church.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £15, and in the gift of the Rev. Richard Gee:
the great tithes have been commuted for £856. 17. 6.,
and the vicarial for £315; there are 7 acres of glebe.
The church, partly Norman and partly in the later English style, has a square tower surmounted by a short
spire, and contains some handsome monuments, among
which is one to Chief Justice Raimond. Here is the
Booksellers' Provident Retreat, erected on a site given
by Mr. Dickinson, whose extensive paper-works and
beautiful residence are adjacent: the first stone was laid
by the Earl of Clarendon in Sept. 1845. A national
school is endowed with £10 per annum; and a school
of industry for girls, with £8 per annum. Nicholas de
Breakspear, who first instructed the Norwegians in
Christianity, and the only Englishman ever raised to the
popedom, was born in the parish, though the place from
which he took his name is situated in the adjoining
parish of St. Michael; he assumed the title of Adrian IV.,
and was poisoned in 1159, in the fifth year of his pontificate, by a citizen of Rome whose son he had refused to
Langley-Burrel (St. Peter)
LANGLEY-BURREL (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and
Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (N. by E.)
from Chippenham; containing 626 inhabitants. The
parish is situated on the road from Chippenham to Bath;
and through the centre of it, to the summit of Wickhill,
extends a causeway more than three miles in length,
supported on 60 arches, and carried over the river Avon
and the adjoining meadows. It was constructed at the
expense of Maud Heath, to whom a monument, with the
figure of a female sitting, has been erected, in commemoration of her munificence; and the causeway has
been since continued on the London road from Chippenham to the foot of Derry Hill, an additional length of
three miles. The Great Western railway passes through
the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £12. 7. 3½.; net income, £386; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. R. Ashe.
Langley-Dale, with Shotton
LANGLEY-DALE, with Shotton, a township, in
the parish of Staindrop, union of Teesdale, S. W.
division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county
of Durham, 4 miles (N. W.) from Staindrop; containing
185 inhabitants. The township comprises 4685a. 2r.
17p., the soil of which is fertile, though in many parts
wet, from its proximity to the moors. The smeltingworks established here, at the Gaunless lead-mill, are
owned by the Duke of Cleveland, who lets them on lease.
The land is tithe-free, with the exception of a farm of 59
acres, the tithes of which have been commuted for a
rent-charge of £7. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An ancient tower here was formerly an out-post
belonging to Raby Castle.
Langley, King's (All Saints)
LANGLEY, KING'S (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Hemel-Hempstead, hundred of Dacorum,
county of Hertford, 19 miles (W. S. W.) from Hertford; containing, with the hamlet of Chipperfield, 1629
inhabitants. A priory, or house for friars-preachers, was
founded here by Roger, son of Robert Helle or Helke,
aud afterwards enlarged and more liberally endowed by
the munificence of the kings Edward I., II., III., and
IV.; it possessed, in the 26th of Henry VIII., a revenue
of £150. 14. 8. Queen Mary restored it for a prioress
and nuns, but it was totally suppressed in the 1st of
Elizabeth. The parish comprises 3461 acres, of which
182 are common or waste. A paper manufactory affords
employment to about 50 persons. The Grand Junction
canal passes through the parish: in excavating for it, a
human skeleton and jawbones, of gigantic size, were
found in 1820, and an ancient sword and a spear in 1822.
Here, also, is a station on the London and Birmingham
railway. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £8; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of
Ely: the appropriate tithes have been commuted for
£600, and the vicarial for £220; the appropriate glebe
comprises 95 acres, and the vicarial 5 acres. The church
is of flint and stone, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a short spire, and has been enlarged, and
galleries built; it contains the tomb of Edmund de
Langley, fifth son of Edward III., and Duke of York,
who was born at a royal palace here, and was buried in
1402, in the church of the priory, from which, at the
Dissolution, his tomb was removed to the parish church.
A few years since, a chapel was erected and endowed by
subscription at Chipperfield common, where the poor are
occasionally christened and buried.
Langley, Kirk (St. Michael)
LANGLEY, KIRK (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 4¾ miles
(W. N. W.) from Derby, on the road to Ashbourn; containing, with the township of Meynell-Langley, 647 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2471 acres: in KirkLangley township are 1325 acres, principally pasture,
with some woodland, and mostly in dairy-farms. Meynell-Langley forms the east side of the parish, and the
Flagshaw, a small brook, separates the villages, which
are both of scattered houses, several of them good buildings, chiefly of brick, with blue tiles. Langley Hall, a
neat stone mansion, is situated in a well-wooded park
of 60 acres, and commands a fine view of Derby. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 1.;
patron, Godfrey Meynell, Esq. The tithes of KirkLangley were commuted in 1842 for £213; and the
rector has 90 acres of glebe, of which a large portion
was awarded at the inclosure of Meynell-Langley, in lieu
of tithes. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of
a nave, chancel, aisles, and a low embattled tower; it
was repaired and repewed in 1840, and a new gallery
erected on the south side, at a cost of £600: there are
monuments to the Meynell family, and to various rectors. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship.
A school, built in 1750, was endowed in 1752 by the
Rev. John Bailey, incumbent, with land now let for £12
a year; and it was further endowed in 1768, by Francis
Bailey, with a rent-charge of £5.
Langley-Marish (St. Mary)
LANGLEY-MARISH (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham; comprising a portion of the market-town of Colnbrook, and containing 1844 inhabitants. The Great
Western railway passes through the parish, a short distance north of the church. The living is annexed to the
vicarage of Wyrardisbury; impropriator, W. Nash,
Esq. The old chapel of St. Mary, which forms the
chancel of the church, was erected in the time of Edward I., and contains three stone stalls and a piscina;
there is also a curious chapel, built for a pew by Sir
John Kederminster, in 1613, and attached to the estate
of Langley Park. Here is a place of worship for Independents. Sir John Kederminster in 1649 founded
almshouses for four people, and endowed them with
property producing £52 per annum. Henry Seymour
towards the close of the same century erected others
for six inmates, in support of which Captain Henry
Seymour, in 1733, bequeathed £30 per annum.
LANGLEY, MEYNELL, a township, in the parish
of Kirk-Langley, union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of
Derby; containing 122 inhabitants. The manor took
its name of Meynell from an ancient family who possessed it so early as the reign of Edward III., and from
whom it passed, by successive female heirs, to the
families of Bassett and Cavendish. In the year 1669,
William Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, sold it to Isaac
Meynell, citizen of London, whose only daughter and
heiress conveyed it to the Cecils, by whom the lands
were sold to another branch of the family of Meynell.
There are now several owners.
LANGLEY-PRIORY, an extra-parochial liberty, in
the hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county
of Leicester; containing 9 inhabitants, and comprising
558 acres of land. A priory of Benedictine nuns, in
honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in the
beginning of the reign of Henry II. by William Pantulf
and Burgia his wife; the revenue, at the Dissolution,
was estimated at £34. 6. 2.