Linton (St. Mary)
LINTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish,
and the head of a union, in the hundred of Chilford,
county of Cambridge, 10½ miles (S. E. by E.) from
Cambridge, and 48 (N. by E.) from London; containing
1838 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the
road from Cambridge to Colchester, has been much improved of late years: an act for inclosing waste lands
was passed in 1838. The market, granted in 1245 to
William de Lay, is on Thursday; and there is a fair on
July 30th, for sheep. Courts leet are held occasionally
by the lords of the manors. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 4., and
in the gift of the Bishop of Ely: the appropriate tithes,
belonging to Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, have been commuted for £780, and the vicarial for £260; the appropriate glebe comprises 84 acres, and the vicarial 9 acres.
The church has a fine embattled tower, and a gallery
has been lately built; in the interior are several monuments. There is a place of worship for Independents.
The union of Linton comprises 22 parishes or places, 20
of which are in the county of Cambridge, and two in
that of Essex, the whole containing a population of
12,958: the workhouse cost £6500, and is capable of
accommodating 200 paupers. An alien priory, subordinate to the abbey of St. Jacutus de Tusula, in Brittany,
was founded in the time of Henry III.; at the suppression, its revenue was valued at £23. 8. 10., and it was
granted by Henry VI. to Pembroke Hall. At Barham,
in the parish, a priory of Crouched friars, a cell to the
monastery of Welnetham, in Suffolk, was established in
the reign of Edward I. Several Roman coins have been
LINTON, a township, in the parish of ChurchGresley, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of
Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of
Derby, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Burton; containing
253 inhabitants. It is situated on the Bosworth and
Burton, and Hartshorn road, and comprises 883a. 1r.
14p., arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; about
40 acres are uninclosed. The soil is fertile, and the
pastures are extremely rich; the chief produce is corn,
cheese, and fat-cattle. Each of the farms belongs to a
different proprietor. There are places of worship for
Wesleyans and other dissenters.
Linton, or Lynton (St. Mary)
LINTON, or Lynton (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwill, Braunton
and N. divisions of Devon, 14 miles (E. by N.) from
Ilfracombe; containing 1027 inhabitants. This parish,
which is the most northern point of the Devonshire
coast, comprises two manors, the lords of which, in the
time of Edward I., had the power of inflicting capital
punishment. The village is on an eminence westward
of an opening towards the Bristol Channel, and is separated from the adjoining parish by the river Lyn, over
which is a bridge of one arch. About a mile westward
from Linton is the Valley of Rocks, the bed of which is
about three-quarters of a mile in length, but not above
100 yards in width; the acclivities on each side exhibit
huge masses of fixed and detached rock, and at the
western extremity of the vale, which is terminated by a
cove or inlet, is an isolated mass of considerable magnitude, in the form of a cone, partly intercepting the view
of the Channel. Within a short distance to the east, by
the sea-side, near the junction of the East and West
Lyn rivers, is Linmouth, formerly a fishing-town of
some consequence, but now possessing only about a
dozen fishing-boats. Turbot, soles, cod, herrings, and
oysters, are caught upon the coast, and shipped to Bristol and elsewhere: the river Lyn abounds in trout.
Several sloops of from 50 to 100 tons are employed in
the coasting-trade; limestone, coal, and culm are the
principal articles of importation, and bark and grain the
chief exports. There is a small pier, erected by the
lord of the manor, at which the steamers from Bristol
to Ilfracombe call in passing. Both at Linton and
Linmouth are numerous lodging-houses for the accommodation of visiters; and in the neighbourhood are
some elegant private residences: there is a plentiful
supply of excellent water. The lord of the manor holds
a court leet and baron at Linton soon after Easter, when
a portreeve, tythingman, and ale-taster are appointed.
The parish comprises by measurement 7160 acres, of
which 3287 are arable and pasture, 310 woodland, and
the remainder mountain and common. The living is a
perpetual curacy, with that of Countisbury annexed;
net income, £120; patron, the Archdeacon of Barnstaple.
The tithes of Linton have been commuted for £270, and
the glebe comprises 102 acres: attached to the curacy
is a glebe of three acres. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, with a tower, was enlarged in 1817 and 1833, and now contains 600 sittings.
There is a place of worship for Independents.
LINTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Churcham,
Lower division of the hundred of Dudstone and
King's-Barton, union, and E. division of the county,
of Gloucester, 1¾ mile (W. by N.) from the city of
Gloucester; containing 31 inhabitants.
LINTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 3 miles (S. E.) from Bromyard; containing 610
inhabitants, including the inmates of the union workhouse here. The township is situated on the borders of
Worcestershire, and comprises 2433 acres, of which 260
are common or waste.
Linton (St. Mary)
LINTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Newent, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford,
5 miles (E. by N.) from Ross; containing 750 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2595 acres, and is situated
on the borders of Gloucestershire, which bounds it on
the east. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the
rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £8. 10.,
and in the gift of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes
have been commuted for £525, and the glebe consists of
68 acres. There is a place of worship for Baptists; also
a school, endowed by Edward Goff, Esq., in 1813.
Linton (St. Nicholas)
LINTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4 miles (S.) from Maidstone; containing
900 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement
1383 acres, of which 633 are arable, 420 meadow and
pasture, 170 in hop plantations, 100 garden and orchard,
and 60 woodland; the surface is boldly undulated, and
the scenery pleasing. The village is situated on the
range of hills that bound the Weald on the north; and
within half a mile of it is Coxheath, an extensive plain,
on which 15,000 soldiers were encamped, and reviewed
by George III., in 1778, but which has been inclosed
and cultivated, now producing hops of excellent quality.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£7. 13. 4.; patron and impropriator, Earl Cornwallis:
the great tithes have been commuted for £220, and the
vicarial for £325. The church contains some monuments
worthy of notice, particularly one to the memory of
Viscount Brome, only son of the present Earl Cornwallis.
During a thunder-storm about the end of November,
1838, the spire was struck by the electric fluid, which
destroyed a part of it. In 1813, John Bowles bequeathed
£200, the interest to be applied to instruction. A schoolhouse for girls was lately erected by Lady Cornwallis;
and some handsome almshouses have been built and
endowed by his lordship, whose seat is in the parish.
The poor-house for Maidstone union, a large brick
building, calculated to hold 600 paupers, with a spacious
chapel attached, is situated here.
Linton, county of Lincoln.—See Lavington.
LINTON, county of Lincoln.—See Lavington.
LINTON, a township, in the parish of Spofforth,
Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding
of York, 1¾ mile (W. by S.) from Wetherby; containing
169 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 1030 acres. The village is situated on the north
side of the vale of the Wharfe. A rent-charge of £257. 10.
has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Linton (St. Michael)
LINTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe
and Ewcross, W. riding of York; containing, with the
townships of Grassington, Hebden, and Threshfield,
2060 inhabitants, of whom 303 are in the township of
Linton, 9 miles (N.) from Skipton. This parish, which
is situated in the beautiful valley of the river Wharfe,
comprises about 11,110 acres, divided into several
manors. A considerable portion is hilly moor, affording
in some parts tolerable pasture. The population is
chiefly employed in the lead-mines of Grassington, and
in the manufacture of cotton and worsted goods. The
living is a rectory in medieties, each valued in the king's
books at £16, and in the patronage of the Crown; net
income of each, £185, exclusive of the glebes, which
comprise 30 acres each. The church formerly contained
two pulpits and two reading-desks: it was originally a
Norman building, of which some parts remain, but it has
undergone various repairs at different periods, especially
in the reign of Henry VIII.; the west window is a good
specimen of the decorated style. A free grammar
school was founded in 1672, by the Rev. Matthew
Hewitt, who endowed it with £20 per annum for the
master, £10 for the usher, and £50 for four exhibitions
to St. John's College, Cambridge. An hospital for six
women was founded, and endowed with a house and 240
acres of land now producing £270 per annum, by Richard
Fountain, Esq., in 1721; £16 per annum are paid to
each of the inmates, and £20 to a chaplain; £12 are
applied to the apprenticing of children, and £70 appropriated to relatives of the founder. There are some
small bequests for distribution among the poor generally.
LINTON-upon-Ouse, a township, in the parish of
Newton, union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 9 miles (S. S. W.) from Easingwould; containing 299 inhabitants. It comprises by
computation 2030 acres of land, chiefly the property of
University College, Oxford. The village is neat, and
pleasantly situated on the north side of the river Ouse,
about a mile west of the village of Newton. There is an
ancient Roman Catholic chapel; also a school with a
LINTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Kirk-Linton, union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E.
division of the county of Cumberland, 3 miles (S.)
from Longtown; containing 567 inhabitants.
LINTZ-GREEN, a township, in the chapelry of
Tanfield, parish of Chester-le-Street, union of
Lanchester, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 8 miles (S. W. by W.)
from Gateshead; containing, with the township of
Beamish, 2671 inhabitants. The ancient manor or vill
of Lintz appears to have included the present estates of
Lintz-Green, Lintz Hall, and Lintzford, and probably
other separate freeholds. Lintz-Green lies on the extreme western verge of the chapelry of Tanfield; Lintz
Hall is a little to the south, and Lintzford northward on
the Derwent. At Low Friarside, to the west of Gibside,
was a small chapel, of which some remains are still
standing, in the middle of a large pasture field, near the
Linwood (St. Cornelius)
LINWOOD (St. Cornelius), a parish, in the union
of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½ miles
(S. by E.) from Market-Rasen; containing 226 inhabitants. This place was formerly the residence of the
Lynwoods, of whom William, who died in 1446, was
bishop of St. David's, and keeper of the privy seal under
Henry VI. The parish is tolerably extensive, and includes a rabbit-warren of 250 acres, and a large wood;
the farmhouse and cottages are of recent erection. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 4. 2.,
and in the patronage of the family of Gordon: the tithes
have been commuted for £380, and the glebe comprises
95 acres. The church is a neat structure, profusely
ornamented with stained glass: the church land consists of 6 acres, awarded at the inclosure.
LINWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of Blankney,
union of Sleaford, Second division of the wapentake
of Langoe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln;
containing 55 inhabitants. It comprises 700 acres, and
is three miles to the east of the village of Blankney.
LINWOOD, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union
of Ringwood, N. division of the hundred of New
Forest, Lymington and S. divisions of the county of
Southampton; containing 14 inhabitants.
LIPHOOK, a post-town, in the parish of Bramshott,
hundred of Alton, Petersfield and N. divisions of the
county of Southampton, 4½ miles (W.) from Haslemere; containing 242 inhabitants. It is near the Sussex
border, and on the London and Petersfield road.
LIPWOOD, a township, in the chapelry of Haydon,
parish of Warden, union of Hexham, N. W. division
of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾
miles (W.) from Hexham; containing 648 inhabitants.
This place, which is an ancient member of the barony of
Langley, occupies an elevated situation, and is bounded
on the north by the Roman Prætentura. The surface is
diversified, and the scenery of pleasing character. Grindon lake, a fine sheet of water in the township, is fed by
the Knag burn (which rises to the north of the Roman
wall), and in the winter greatly overflows its summer
limits; it abounds with perch, and a boat is kept on it by
the governors of Greenwich Hospital, to whom it belongs.
Lipwood House is a handsome villa, erected about the
year 1829, by the late Thomas Coates, Esq., whose family
at that time held lands in the township.
LISCARD, a township, in the parish of Wallasey,
union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall,
S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (N. by W.)
from Birkenhead; containing, in 1841, 2873 inhabitants.
In the reign of Edward I., the manor was held under
the barons of Halton by Richard de Aston; it afterwards
passed to the family of Meolse, the last of whom of the
male line, in 1739, bequeathed the property to the Houghs.
In 1804, it was sold by the executors of that family to
the late John Penketh, Esq.; and by the marriage of
his daughter and heiress with John Dennil Maddock,
Esq., the manor has become vested in that gentleman.
Some years ago this township presented an almost
barren waste, large heaps of sand lying in many parts,
and there being only a village, with a few small hovels
the abode of fishermen, and a range of low cottages used
for a magazine. An extensive and rapid change has,
however, been effected; several settlements have been
made, and labour and enterprise have succeeded in fertilizing and enriching a district for which nature seemed
to have done so little. The shore for a great distance is
now studded with elegant houses, and even among the
sand-hills many spots have been chosen for villas, which
are the residences of opulent families from Liverpool.
New Brighton, in the township, has sprung up since
1830. In that year the late James Atherton, Esq., conceived the design of founding a watering-place at the
north-east angle of the township, and in furtherance of
his plan purchased 180 acres of ground in that quarter,
where the convex form of the coast, presenting one front
to the Mersey and another to the open sea, appeared
well adapted to the purposes of a marine village. Here
streets fifteen yards in width, and nearly a mile in extent, now ascend from both shores, and intersect each
other at right angles; the whole being laid out on a
regular and symmetrical plan, with a pier having the
requisite landing-stages, an hotel and other accommodation for visiters, hot and cold baths, &c., and, in short,
every convenience for either permanent or temporary
residence. The erection of buildings continues on every
side, many of them being highly ornamental and elegant;
and the village promises to be, at no distant day, one of
the most fashionable watering-places in this part of the
kingdom. The hamlet of Egremont is also in the township, and on the Mersey, nearly opposite to Liverpool,
from which it is distant one mile and a half; it contains
several handsome dwellings, hotels, and lodging-houses,
and is likewise a favourite and genteel bathing-place.
Near this hamlet is the magazine where all ships entering
the port of Liverpool deposit their gunpowder, prior to
admission into the docks. Steam-boats ply every half
hour from New Brighton and Egremont to Liverpool.
Liscard comprises 896a. 2r. 33p., of which the soil is
sand and clay: 131 acres are the property of Mr. Maddock. A church, dedicated to St. John, and in the Grecian style of architecture, was erected at Egremont in
1833, at a cost of £10,000: the living is a perpetual
curacy, with an income of £200, and in the patronage of
Trustees. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £115, equally divided between the rector of
Wallasey and the lessee of the Bishop of Chester.
There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive Methodists; and a Roman Catholic chapel (St.
Alban's), built in 1842: the Rev. Ambrose Lennon is
the priest.—See Brighton, New.
Liskeard (St. Martin)
LISKEARD (St. Martin), a borough, markettown, and parish, and the
head of a union, locally in
the hundred of West, E.
division of Cornwall; containing 4287 inhabitants, of
whom 3001 are in the borough, 18 miles (S. S. W.)
from Launceston, and 225
(W. S. W.) from London.
The ancient name was Liskerrett, derived probably from
two Cornish words signifying "a fortified place." The
town was formerly amongst the possessions of the earls
of Cornwall, and was, by act of parliament, annexed to
the duchy in the reign of Edward III. The castle, of
which there are still some vestiges, was occasionally
the residence of Richard, Earl of Cornwall and King
of the Romans. In 1643, during the civil war, a
battle was fought near this place, between the royalists,
under Sir Ralph Hopton, and the parliamentary forces;
the latter were defeated, and the royalist army marched
into Liskeard the same night. The king, on his entrance
into Cornwall, in 1646, halted here on August 2nd, and
remained until the 7th. The town is one of the most
ancient and considerable in the county: it is irregularly
built, chiefly on steep hills at the upper extremity of a
valley; the streets are well paved and lighted, the inhabitants are supplied with excellent water, and the air is
very salubrious. The tanning of leather is carried on to a
considerable extent. Facility of conveyance is afforded by
the canal from Liskeard towards Looe, which commences
about one mile west of the town, where are coal-wharfs
and limekilns. This is one of the four coinage or stannary towns; but no coinage has taken place for some
time, the practice having been abandoned. A handsome
market-house for poultry, fish, and vegetables, was
erected in 1822; and there are butchers' shambles
beneath the town-hall. The market, on Saturday, is
abundantly supplied with provisions of all kinds, and
great annual markets or fairs for the sale of cattle are
likewise held. The town-hall is a good structure on
granite arches and columns, erected in 1707, and surmounted with a clock.
Seal and Arms.
Liskeard was made a free borough in 1240, by
Richard, Earl of Cornwall, who conferred on the burgesses similar privileges to those enjoyed by the towns
of Launceston and Helston; and several charters were
afterwards bestowed, under the last of which, granted
by Elizabeth, and dated the 26th of July, 1587, the corporation consisted of a mayor, nine capital, and an indefinite number of inferior, burgesses, a recorder, and
a town-clerk. The government is now vested in a
mayor, four aldermen, and twelve councillors, elected
under the act of the 5th and 6th of William IV., cap. 76;
and the magistrates, four in number, assemble on alternate Mondays for the despatch of business. The powers
of the county debt-court of Liskeard, established in
1847, extend over the registration-district of Liskeard.
The borough first sent representatives to parliament in
the 23rd of Edward I.: it formerly returned two members, but was deprived of one by the act of the 2nd of
William IV., cap. 45, when an enlarged district was substituted for the borough, for elective purposes. The
limits, previously comprising 2387 acres, now extend
over an area of 8115 acres, embracing the old borough
and parish of Liskeard, with part of the parish of St.
Clear. The mayor is returning officer. There is a small
The parish is intersected by the river Looe, and comprises by measurement 7126 acres: the soil is various,
but generally fertile, and in some parts a deep rich loam;
the surface is very hilly, and the surrounding country
strikingly diversified. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £18. 13. 11½.; net income, £303;
patron, the Rev. F. J. Todd. The church stands on an
eminence at the eastern entrance of the town, and is a
spacious and handsome edifice of fine large slate-stone,
with a low embattled tower, which was erected in 1627;
it contains several monuments, among which is one raised
by Captain Martyn and his brother officers, to Lieut.
James Huntley, who fell in a gallant attack on a squadron of Russian gun-boats in the Gulf of Finland. An
episcopal chapel was opened at Dubwalls, in 1839.
Amongst other lands of smaller value, a tenement called
Lanseaton, now let for £50 per annum, is vested in the
wardens for the repairs of the church. There are places
of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents,
Wesleyans, and Association Methodists. A school was
founded by the trustees of the Rev. St. John Eliot, who
died in 1760, and was endowed by them with £5 per
annum. A British and Foreign school was erected in
1835; and a diocesan classical and commercial school
has been established. The union of Liskeard comprises
26 parishes or places, with a population of 26,484: a
workhouse has been built near the town for 350 persons.
A great part yet remains of the buildings of the nunnery
of Poor Clares, founded here, and endowed by Richard,
Earl of Cornwall; it is called "The Great Place," and
has been converted into dwelling-houses.