LONDON-COLNEY, a chapelry, in the union of
St. Alban's, parishes of St. Peter and St. Alban's,
hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county
of Hertford, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Barnet. This
place derives its name from its situation on the road to
London, which crosses the river Colne here, by a substantial brick bridge of seven arches. The living is a
perpetual curacy, with a net income of £82, and an excellent glebe-house; it is in the patronage of the Countess of Caledon, to whom also the impropriation belongs.
The chapel is a handsome edifice in the later English
style, dedicated to St. Peter, erected by subscription,
and grants of £400 from the Parliamentary Commissioners and £500 from the Incorporated Society; the site
was given by the Earl of Hardwicke, who settled £40
per annum towards the support of the minister. A
national school was built by the late Earl of Caledon,
and endowed with £20 per annum by the Countess
Dowager of Hardwicke.
LONDON, LITTLE, a hamlet, in the parish, union,
and hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of
the county of Southampton; with 105 inhabitants.
Londonthorpe, (St. John the Baptist)
LONDONTHORPE, (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (N.
N. E.) from the town of Grantham; containing 182
inhabitants. The living is a vicarage not in charge,
united, with that of Great Gonerby, to the vicarage of
North Grantham: the tithes were commuted for land
and corn-rents in 1795.
Long Benton, Northumberland.—See Benton, Long.
LONG BENTON, Northumberland.—See Benton, Long.—And all places having a similar distinguishing prefix will be found under the proper name.
Longborough (St. James)
LONGBOROUGH (St. James), a parish, in the
union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the
hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of
Gloucester, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Stow; containing 625 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2903
acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil in many places
stony, but a large portion of the land is of good quality.
There is a considerable stone-quarry, which the inhabitants claim the right of working, and the produce of
which is extensively used for building. The living is
a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Seasoncote
united, valued in the king's books at £5. 15., and in
the gift of Lord Leigh and Sir Charles Cockerell, Bart.,
the former having two presentations, and the latter one;
net income, £221. The glebe consists of about 60 acres,
with a house. The church has been enlarged and repaired, and is now a neat edifice. The Fosse-way passes
by the village, and near it is a long camp, from which
the place is supposed to have derived its name.
LONGBURGH, a township, in the parish of Burghupon-the-Sands, union of Carlisle, ward, and E.
division of the county, of Cumberland, 6¼ miles (W.
N. W.) from Carlisle; containing 124 inhabitants.
LONGCOT, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of
Shrivenham, union of Farringdon, county of Berks,
3½ miles (S. by W.) from Farringdon; containing 504
inhabitants, and comprising 1865a. 1r. 23p. The tithes
were commuted for land and a money payment in 1796.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the
Crown; net income, £300. The chapel is dedicated to
LONGDEN, a chapelry, in the parish of Pontesbury, union of Atcham, hundred of Ford, S. division
of Salop, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Shrewsbury; containing 371 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £53; patron, the Rev. E. Homfray.
The chapel, dedicated to St. Ruthen, is a plain building,
containing 140 sittings, of which 35 are free.
Longdon (St. James)
LONGDON (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and
of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from
Lichfield; containing 1183 inhabitants. It is situated
on the road from London to Liverpool, and comprises
by admeasurement 4455 acres. The surface is undulated, and the scenery picturesque, being richly ornamented with wood; the pastures are of good quality,
and the arable lands produce excellent wheat and barley.
The Trent and Mersey canal passes about two miles
northward of the church. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 5.; patron, the Bishop
of Lichfield. The great tithes have been commuted for
£391, and the small for £136; the impropriate glebe
contains 49½ acres, and the vicarial nearly 29 acres.
The church is an ancient edifice with a tower, and contains a beautiful Norman arch. Portions of this parish,
and of Cannock, were in 1837 assigned as a district to
the chapel at Gentleshaw, in Longdon: the chapel is
dedicated to Christ; and the living is a perpetual curacy
with an income of £100, in the alternate gift of the
Bishop and the Dean and Chapter. There are places of
worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and the
Society of Friends have a very ancient burial-ground at
Gentleshaw. A national school has been established.
St. Mary's almshouses, ten in number, were founded by
Mrs. Jane Cotton. At Castle Ring, a point in the
Marquess of Anglesey's park at Beaudesert, are the remains of a British or Danish encampment.
Longdon (St. Mary)
LONGDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred
of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Upton-upon-Severn;
containing 598 inhabitants, of whom 520 are in the
township. The parish comprises 3845 acres, of which
125 were common or waste: the common fields and
meadows have been inclosed within the last four years.
The road from Upton to Gloucester passes through the
village, and the river Severn runs within a mile and a
half. Sandstone of a very soft kind is quarried, chiefly
for fences. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual
curacy of Castle-Morton annexed, valued in the king's
books at £14. 17. 3½.; patrons and appropriators, the
Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The tithes have
been commuted for £845; the appropriate glebe contains 94 acres, and the vicarial 26. The church stands
on the north-east side of the village: the nave was
rebuilt in 1787, of brick; the tower and spire are of
hard sandstone, and the former contains a peal of six
good bells, recast in 1835. A school was founded in
1630, and endowed by Giles Godwin with land now producing £34 per annum.
Longdon-upon-Terne (St. Bartholomew)
LONGDON-upon-Terne (St. Bartholomew), a
parish, in the union of Wellington, Newport division
of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of
Salop, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Wellington; containing 99 inhabitants. The parish comprises 796 acres,
and is situated on the road from Wellington to Ercall
Magna and Wem. The Shrewsbury canal passes through
the village, and is here crossed by the river Terne. The
living is a donative; net income, £182; patron and
impropriator, the Duke of Sutherland: the tithes have
been commuted for £210. The church is a very small
and plain edifice, built about 1776.
Longfield (St. Mary Magdalene)
LONGFIELD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in
the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford,
and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 5½ miles (S. E.) from Dartford; containing 128 inhabitants. It comprises 585 acres. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £5. 17. 6.: net income, £193; patron, the Bishop of
Rochester. The church contains the remains of the
beneficent Archdeacon Plume, founder of the professorship at Cambridge which bears his name.
LONGFLEET, a tything, in the parish of Canford
Magna, borough and union of Poole, hundred of Cogdean, Wimborne division of Dorset, 1 mile (N. N. E.)
from the town of Poole; containing 1281 inhabitants.
A chapel has been erected, chiefly at the expense of
Lord de Mauley, aided by a grant of £500 from the Incorporated Society: the living is a perpetual curacy, in
the patronage of Sir J. Guest.
Longford (St. Chad)
LONGFORD (St. Chad), a parish, in the hundred
of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby;
containing, with the townships of Alkmonton and Hollington, the liberty of Hungry-Bentley, and the hamlet
of Rodsley, 1249 inhabitants, of whom 568 are in the
township of Longford, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Derby.
The parish comprises 5813a. 2r. 37p., of which the
greater portion is pasture, with a very small quantity of
arable and woodland; the soil is in general fertile. The
late Earl of Leicester, whose family has been connected
with the place for more than two centuries, erected, in
1842, two neat substantial bridges over the mill-stream
in the centre of the village, at an expense of £800, and
gave them to the county on the condition of their being
kept in repair. The living was formerly a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 8. 9., but is
now a rectory, the sinecure rectory and the vicarage
having been united in 1840; patron, the Hon. Edward
Coke; incumbent, the Rev. T. Garnier. The great
tithes of Longford township have been commuted for
£204, and the glebe consists of 99 acres; the small
tithes have been commuted for £80, and the glebe contains 200 acres, with a glebe-house. Roger, Bishop of
Lichfield and Coventry, endowed the vicarage with the
great tithes of Bentley, charging it with a pension of 50s.
to the priory of Kenilworth, in Warwick. The church
is full of interesting architectural remains: in the north
aisle are some fine Norman arches. The chancel, which
is in the early decorated style, is much admired for its
symmetrical proportions and chaste details; it contains
three stone stalls, a piscina, and some ancient monumental effigies. A costly monument to the late Earl of
Leicester has been erected by subscription, consisting
of a richly ornamented stone canopy, with a fine marble
bust and an inscription; and a marble monument, by
Gibson, to the late Countess of Leicester, has been
since erected. The tower of the church is a good specimen of the later English style. A chapel of ease was
lately built at Alkmonton. In 1687, Sir Robert Coke,
Bart., founded an almshouse for six persons, and endowed it with £55 per annum: in 1688, Lady Catherine Coke bequeathed land, producing £32 per annum,
for education; and there is another school, supported
by William Evans, Esq., M.P.
LONGFORD, a hamlet, in the parishes of St.
Catherine and St. Mary-de-Lode, Upper division of
the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union,
and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 1¼ mile
(N. E. by N.) from Gloucester; containing 409 inhabitants, of whom 170 are in St. Catherine's.
Longford (St. Mary)
LONGFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South
Bradford, N. division of Salop, 1¼ mile (W. by S.)
from Newport; containing, with the townships of Brockton and Stockton, 209 inhabitants. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 8½., and in
the gift of R. M. Leeke, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £144, and the glebe comprises 52½ acres.
LONGFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Britford,
union of Alderbury, hundred of Cawden and Cadworth, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of
the county of Wilts; containing 76 inhabitants.
Longham (St. Peter)
LONGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch,
W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from
East Dereham; containing 333 inhabitants. It comprises 1304a. 1r. 23p., of which 1045 acres are arable,
200 pasture, and 34 woodland: 300 acres of common
were inclosed in 1814. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £30; patron and impropriator, the Earl of
Leicester, whose tithes have been commuted for £285.
The church is chiefly in the later English style, with an
embattled tower, and contains some remains of a richlycarved screen separating the nave from the chancel.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Some
traces of a Roman road exist, in removing part of which,
in 1816, numerous skeletons were discovered.
LONGHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Hampreston, union of Wimborne and Cranborne, partly
within the liberty of Westover, S. division of Hants,
but chiefly in the hundred of Cranborne, Wimborne
division of Dorset; containing 519 inhabitants.
LONGHIRST, a township, in the parish of Bothal,
union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N.
division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N. E.) from
Morpeth; containing 210 inhabitants. The township is
the property of the Duke of Portland and the Lawson
family, and comprises 1702a. 2r. 34p., having chiefly a
strong clayey soil, of which 1186 acres are in tillage, 420
in grass, and 96 covered with wood. The surface is flat,
but is embellished with a little old wood and nearly 100
acres of plantations made by Wm. Lawson, Esq., and
the district is rendered interesting from its containing
that gentleman's handsome seat, called Longhirst House.
This mansion, of which the first stone was laid in 1824,
was erected under the direction of the present proprietor, Mr. Dobson being the architect, and is a highlyfinished edifice in the Grecian style, presenting many
excellent architectural features, and containing spacious
apartments; the gardens are on the east, well sheltered,
and have the Bothal burn running through them. A
good sandstone-quarry is wrought in the township by
Mr. Lawson, who also possesses a seam of coal, which
is worked by drifting, for consumption on the spot;
there is likewise a shed for the manufacture of drainingtiles. The tithes have been commuted for £251.
Longhope, Upper and Lower (All Saints)
LONGHOPE, UPPER and LOWER (All Saints),
in the union of Westbury, duchy of Lancaster, W.
division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (S. W.
by S.) from Newent; containing 929 inhabitants. This
parish comprises 2835 acres, of which 459 are common
or waste. May Hill, within its limits, forms a landmark
from the Bristol Channel. The living is a discharged
vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the
king's books at £9. 7. 11½., and in the gift of the Archdeacon of Llandaff and the Rev. John Probyn: the
tithes have been commuted for £396. 17., and the glebe
comprises 17 acres, with a house. Here is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
LONGMEADOW, a hamlet, in the parish of Bottisham, union of Newmarket, hundred of Staine,
county of Cambridge; containing 57 inhabitants.
Longney (St. Lawrence)
LONGNEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union
of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of
Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Gloucester; containing 490
inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn, and comprises 1440 acres, a considerable portion consisting of orchard grounds, for
which the parish is noted. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 1. 8., and
in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £100;
impropriators, the Trustees of certain charities. The
tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in