Marbury - Margate

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

253-257

Citation Show another format:

'Marbury - Margate', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 253-257. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51133 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Marbury

MARBURY, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Northwich, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Northwich; containing 37 inhabitants. It comprises 360 acres, of a sandy soil. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the township. Marbury Hall is a seat of the Smith Barry family; the mansion was rebuilt in 1846, in the style of the age of Louis XIV.

Marbury

MARBURY, a parish, in the union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the township of Norbury, 784 inhabitants, of whom 383 are in the township of Marbury cum Quoisley, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Whitchurch. This parish, which takes its name from two meres, called respectively the greater and the less, is situated at the extremity of the county, bordering upon Shropshire. It comprises 3152 acres, of which 1754 are in Marbury cum Quoisley; the soil is a light sand, with some peat. The parish is intersected by a branch of the Chester and Ellesmere canal. Courts leet are held for the manors of Marbury and Norbury. The living is united to the rectory of Whitchurch: the tithes have been commuted for £327, and the glebe comprises 9 acres. The church, an ancient structure, has an elegant chancel, rebuilt by the late Earl of Bridgewater. There are several charitable bequests in money, amounting to about £300, with two small crofts of land and some rent-charges.

March

MARCH, a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Doddington, union and hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 31 miles (N. by W.) from Cambridge, and 80 (N.) from London; containing 5706 inhabitants. The town is situated on the banks of the navigable river Nene, by which communication is obtained with Cambridge, Lynn, Peterborough, and other places. Here, also, is a station of the Peterborough and Ely railway; and in 1846 an act was passed for making a railway from Wisbech, by March, to St. Ives. The market, granted to Sir Alexander Peyton in 1671, is on Friday, chiefly for butcher's meat; and there are two fairs, each of which continues three days, commencing on the Monday before Whitsuntide, and on the second Tuesday in October. Manorial courts are held in the guildhall, a modern and commodious edifice, situated in the High-street. The powers of the county debt-court of March, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of North Witchford. The tithes have been commuted for £5278. 10. 6., and there is a glebe of 5¾ acres. The chapel, dedicated to St. Wendreda, a very ancient structure with a spire at the west end, was erected about the year 1343, at which period an indulgence was granted by the pope to all who should contribute to it; in the interior are several monuments. A school was founded in 1696, by William Neale, and endowed with 33½ acres of land in Whites Fen. There are also charities for the poor yielding a rental of £470, part of which is applied to purposes of instruction. Between this town and Wisbech, urns inclosing burnt bones, and a vessel containing 160 Roman denarii of different emperors, were discovered in the year 1730.

Marcham (All Saints)

MARCHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 2½ miles (W. by S.) from Abingdon; containing, with the chapelry of Garford, the township of Frilford, and the hamlet of Cothill, 1109 inhabitants, of whom 760 are in the township of Marcham. The parish comprises 4069a. 3r. 7p. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 15. 7½.; net income, £455; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land in 1815. The church was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1837, at an expense of £2000, of which a considerable portion was given by Thomas Duffield, Esq. At Garford is a chapel of ease.

Marchamley

MARCHAMLEY, a township, in the parish of Hodnet, in the union of Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop; containing 441 inhabitants.

Marchington

MARCHINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Hanbury, union of Uttoxeter, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Uttoxeter; containing 471 inhabitants. The manor was part of the demesne lands appertaining to the honour of Tutbury, and given by the Conqueror to Henry de Ferrers: Earl Talbot is the present lord. The township is situated on the south bank of the Dove, and at the northern point of Offlow hundred. The copyhold land is held on a heavy tenure, being subject to fines amounting to a year and a half's rent, with the best beast or stack as a heriot on the death of every tenant. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £92; patron, the Vicar of Hanbury; appropriator, the Bishop of Lichfield. The tithes have been commuted for £90 payable to the appropriator, and £20 to the vicar; and there is a glebe of nearly 20 acres. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter, and stands below the village.

Marchington-Woodlands

MARCHINGTON-WOODLANDS, a township, in the parish of Hanbury, union of Uttoxeter, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Uttoxeter; containing 286 inhabitants. This is an extensive township of scattered houses, extending south-west from Marchington for a distance of two miles, and including the northwestern corner of Needwood forest. Much of the land is copyhold on the same tenure as Marchington. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £60 payable to the Bishop of Lichfield, and the vicarial for £10.

Marchwood

MARCHWOOD, a tything, in the parish of Eling, union of New-Forest, hundred of Redbridge, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 158 inhabitants. Here is a magazine of gunpowder for the supply of Portsmouth garrison. A district church, erected by H. H. Holloway, Esq., and dedicated to St. John the Apostle, was consecrated in 1843: it is a good specimen of early English.

Marcle, Little

MARCLE, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Ledbury; containing 152 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south-east by a portion of the county of Gloucester, and comprises 1218a. 3r. 1p., of which 540 acres are arable, 541 pasture, and 3 woodland; the surface is boldly undulated. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 4.; patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The tithes have been commuted for £225, and the glebe comprises 36 acres, with a good glebe-house erected by the Rev. W. Jones. The church is a small ancient structure.

Marcle, Much (St. Bartholomew)

MARCLE, MUCH (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the unions of Ledbury and Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Ledbury; containing, with the township of Yatton, 1227 inhabitants, of whom 982 are in the township of Much Marcle. The parish is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, and comprises 4662 acres of land; it is intersected by the road from Ledbury to Ross. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 0. 5.; net income, £841; patron, the Rev. W. M. Kyrle. Some small tithes were commuted for land in 1795, and others have recently been commuted for a rent-charge of £333; the glebe altogether comprises 27 acres. The tithes belonging to the Bishop of Hereford have been settled for £430. The church is an ancient structure of great beauty, containing many interesting monuments.

Mardale

MARDALE, a chapelry, partly in the parish of Bampton, and partly in that of Shap, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 11 miles (W. N. W.) from Orton; containing 47 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £76; patron, the Vicar of Shap, in which parish the chapel is situated.

Marden (St. Ethelbert)

MARDEN (St. Ethelbert), a parish, in the hundred of Broxash, union and county of Hereford, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Hereford; containing, with the chapelries of Amberley and Wisterstone, 945 inhabitants. The parish is seated on the left bank of the river Lugg, and consists of 3955 acres of a productive soil. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 5., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford: the tithes have been commuted for £714. 5., of which £400 are payable to the Dean and Chapter; there are 30½ acres of appropriate, and 2½ of vicarial, glebe. The church stands on the bank of the Lugg, where King Ethelbert was buried, and where a well, which still exists, is said to have sprung up at the time the edifice was dedicated to his memory. At Wisterstone is a separate incumbency, in the patronage of W. Vale, Esq.

Marden (St. Michael)

MARDEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Marden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 7¾ miles (S. by W.) from Maidstone; containing 2076 inhabitants, and comprising 7607 acres. The South-Eastern railway passes close to Marden. A fair is held on October 10th. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 4.; net income, £828; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.

Marden (All Saints)

MARDEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Devizes, hundred of Swanborough, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 7 miles (S. E.) from Devizes; containing 222 inhabitants. It is celebrated as the scene of a battle which took place between Ethelred and the Danes, the latter of whom were victorious. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 6.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The great tithes have been commuted for £190, and the vicarial for £175; the glebe comprises about an acre. The church is an ancient structure principally in the early English style, with a fine Norman arch at the south entrance into the nave, and another separating the nave from the chancel, both richly ornamented.

Marden, East

MARDEN, EAST, a parish, in the union of West Bourne, hundred of Westbourne and Singleton, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 8 miles (S. E.) from Petersfield; containing 67 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 955 acres, of which 550 are arable, 350 pasture, and 55 woodland: the village is pleasantly situated in a valley amid the downs, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 16. 8.; net income, £106; patron, the Prebendary of Marden in the Cathedral of Chichester. The church is a handsome structure, in the early English style.

Marden, North

MARDEN, NORTH, a parish, in the union of West Bourne, hundred of Westbourne, and Singleton, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 7 miles (S. E.) from Petersfield; containing 24 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Petersfield to Chichester, and comprises by computation 700 acres, of which 300 are arable and 400 down pasture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 17. 8., and in the patronage of Capt. Phipps Hornby: the tithes have been commuted for £68, and the glebe comprises 13¾ acres. The church is in the early English style, with a circular east end; it was restored and newpewed in 1836, chiefly at the expense of the patron.

Marden, Up (St. Michael)

MARDEN, UP (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of West Bourne, hundred of Westbourne and Singleton, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 8 miles (N. W.) from Chichester; containing, with the tything of West Marden, 348 inhabitants. The parish is pleasantly situated; and on the downs here, is a telegraph communicating with others on the line between Portsmouth and London. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Compton: the great tithes have been commuted for £103, and the small for £348; the glebe of the vicar consists of 36 acres. The church is partly in the early and partly in the later English style. There was formerly a chapel at West Marden.

Marefield

MAREFIELD, a township, in the parish of Tilton, union of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 8¼ miles (S. by W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 21 inhabitants.

Mareham-Le-Fen (St. Helen)

MAREHAM-LE-FEN (St. Helen), a parish, in the union and soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5½ miles (S. by E.) from Horncastle; containing 713 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2000 acres of land, much improved by draining. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 10.; net income, £355; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1805; the glebe altogether comprises 313 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated English style, and contains many interesting details. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Mareham-on-the-Hill (All Saints)

MAREHAM-ON-THE-HILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union and soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Horncastle; containing 189 inhabitants, and comprising 1424a. 2r. 23p. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is a very ancient and dilapidated structure, in repairing which, about 30 years since, some coins of Edward IV. and his successors were found concealed in the walls.

Maresfield (St. Bartholomew)

MARESFIELD (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Uckfield, hundred of Rushmonden, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Uckfield; containing 1579 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Lewes to London, and includes a great portion of Ashdown forest, comprises 7750 acres, whereof 1677 are arable, 1314 meadow and pasture, 4663 common and wood, and 95 orchard and garden. About a mile from the village is Woodlands nursery, celebrated for the cultivation of rose-trees, of which there are nearly 1500 varieties. The scenery is pleasingly diversified, and Maresfield Park, the seat of John Villiers Shelley, Esq., is a handsome mansion. A fair for cattle is held on the 4th of September. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of Viscount Gage; the tithes have been commuted for £615. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the interior was restored in 1838. At Nutley is a district church, of recent erection, dedicated to St. James: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector.

Marfleet

MARFLEET, a parish, in the union of Sculcoates, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 3 miles (E.) from Hull; containing 141 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1175 acres, of which about one-third is arable, and the remainder pasture; the surface is level, and the soil clay. The village, which is scattered, is situated on the fertile marshes on the north side of the Humber. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy; net income, £54; patron, the Rev. J. A. Beckett: the impropriation belongs to Mrs. Mander and the family of Carleil. The church was rebuilt in 1795, at the expense of the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Margaret, St., or Street

MARGARET, St., or Street, a hamlet, in the parish of Ivinghoe, union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham; containing 125 inhabitants. It took its second name from its situation on the Roman Ikeneld way, which pursued a north-eastern direction through the parish. A Benedictine nunnery for nine women, dedicated to St. Margaret, was founded here in 1160, by Henry de Blois, Bishop of Winchester; the revenue was valued at £22. 6.

Margaret's, St.

MARGARET'S, St., a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Ewyaslacy, county of Hereford, 13 miles (W. S. W.) from Hereford; containing 304 inhabitants. The parish consists of 2277 acres, in about equal quantities of arable and pasture land, the latter of which is of inferior quality; the surface is ornamented with fine sweeps of wood, the oak and ash being of very luxuriant growth, and extensive views are obtained from the high grounds. The great limestone formation which runs across this part of the county, is here about a mile wide, and consists of numerous strata, resting upon a bed of marl of great depth; stone is quarried for various purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Michael-Church-Eskley annexed; net income, £162; patron, the Earl of Oxford; impropriator, Sir Velters Cornewall, Bart. The church is ancient; at the east end is a rood-loft, the lower part of which is distinguished by compartments painted and gilded.

Margaret's, St., in the county of Hertford.—See Stanstead St. Margaret's.

MARGARET'S, ST., in the county of Hertford.— See Stanstead St. Margaret's.

Margaret, St., at Cliffe

MARGARET, ST., at Cliffe, a parish, in the union of Dovor, hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Dovor; containing 748 inhabitants. This parish received the adjunct to its name from its high situation on the chalk cliffs overlooking the English Channel. It comprises 1758 acres, of which 28 are waste land. In a small bay, where is a small wooden pier, or jetty, for protecting the fishing craft, some of the finest-flavoured lobsters in England are caught. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10.; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £380, and the vicarial for £105; the appropriator's glebe comprises 98 acres, and the vicar's 3 acres. The church is a spacious structure, in the Norman style.

Margaret-Marsh (St. Margaret)

MARGARET-MARSH (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, hundred of SturminsterNewton-Castle, Shaston division of Dorset, 4 miles (S. W.) from Shaftesbury; with 83 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Iwerne-Minster.

Margaret-Roothing, in the county of Essex.—See Roothing, Margaret.

MARGARET-ROOTHING, in the county of Essex. —See Roothing, Margaret.

Margaretting (St. Margaret)

MARGARETTING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 4 miles (S. W.) from Chelmsford; containing 570 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the Saxon Ing (meadow) and the saint to whom its church is dedicated. The Eastern Counties railway runs through the parsonage-farm. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 2., and in the patronage of the Heiress and Legatees of the late B. Hopkins, Esq.; net income, £168; impropriator, George Straight, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £430, and the vicarial for £189. 15.; the glebe comprises five acres. The church is a very ancient edifice, with a belfry of wood, surmounted by a shingled spire. A house here, called Killigrew's farm, is said to have been the frequent resort of Henry VIII.; it seems to have been a place of great security, being surrounded by a moat, which, within memory, was crossed by a drawbridge with two watch-towers.

Margate (St. John the Baptist)

MARGATE (St. John the Baptist), a sea-port, market-town, and parish, in the cinque-port liberty of Dovor, of which it is a member, and in the union of the Isle of Thanet, locally in the lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 72½ miles (E.) from London; containing 11,050 inhabitants. This place, formerly a small fishing-village, was distinguished by a mere, or stream, here flowing into the sea, from which circumstance arose the name Meregate, afterwards changed to Margate. About the middle of the last century it became much frequented as a bathing-place, from the fineness of the beach and the purity of the air; and though originally consisting of but one scattered and irregular street, it has, by the erection of new buildings at various times to meet the wants of the increased number of visiters, attained its present importance. The town is pleasantly situated, partly on the acclivities of two hills, and partly in the valley; and is lighted with gas, well paved, and abundantly supplied with excellent water from wells. Considerable inprovements have been effected, and others are still in progress, by the commissioners for paving and lighting, under the authority of numerous acts of parliament. The London entrance, which is distinguished by an esplanade protected by a stone wall, presents an imposing appearance, and forms an extended crescent, terminated by the pier: the whole of the sea defences, which are constructed of stone, and exceed a mile in length, cost upwards of £15,000.

The market is held on Wednesday and Saturday, under a grant obtained in 1777: the town-hall and market-place were rebuilt in 1821, at an expense of £2400. In Hawley-square is a handsome building for the public subscription library, and there are three other excellent libraries. The different bathing-rooms in High-street, and on the New-road, and the more recently constructed works of that kind on the Fort, are all of the best description. The theatre is a neat building, erected in 1787, at an expense of £4000: the subscription and assembly rooms, attached to the Royal hotel, are spacious; and several bazaars have been erected. Adjoining the town are the Tivoli Gardens for concerts, fireworks, &c., possessing the advantages of a delightful situation, ornamental sheets of water, and thick plantations; and at St. Peter's, two miles from Margate, are the Ranelagh Gardens. Steam-packets ply daily between London and Margate, making the passage in about six hours and a half; and in the season, a thousand persons frequently arrive in one day. There is railway communication with Ramsgate, Canterbury, and towns beyond. The trade is almost entirely connected with the supply of visiters; a very extensive brewery and a rope manufactory, however, are carried on, and considerable quantities of corn are exported. Margate being a member of the port of Dovor, the mayor of that place appoints one of the inhabitants to act as his deputy, and the town is subject to the jurisdiction of that port. The powers of the county debtcourt of Margate, established in 1847, extend over the parishes of Margate, St. Peter's, and Birchington, and the ville of Wood. A court leet for the manor of Minster takes place about Michaelmas.

A pier of timber was constructed at a very early period; and for its preservation, two pier wardens and sub-deputies were appointed by the lord-wardens of the cinque-ports, and certain rates on corn and other imported produce were granted in the reign of Elizabeth. In 1787, an act was passed for the general improvement of the town, and for rebuilding the pier, the entire property and management of which were vested in commissioners. Under this act the old wooden pier was cased with stone. In a violent storm on the 14th of January 1808, the pier was irreparably injured; and in July, 1812, an act was obtained for establishing a joint-stock company, under whose direction a new pier was completed from a design by Mr. Rennie and Mr. Jessop in 1815, at an expense of upwards of £67,000: it is a handsome and substantial stone structure, 900 feet in length, in its plan forming a portion of a polygon, and well calculated to afford protection to the vessels in the harbour. It is divided into two stages, the lower forming a quay, and the upper a promenade defended on the sea-side with a stone parapet, and on the land-side by iron railings: this promenade, which as a marine walk is almost unrivalled, was designed by Mr. Thomas Edmunds, builder, of Margate. At the extremity of the pier is a stone lighthouse, erected from a design by Mr. William Edmunds, and a new pier-house has been built, under the superintendence of the same architect. To the east of the pier is the jetty for passengers, used when the depth of water will not allow vessels to reach the pier, and which was executed in the year 1824, without any additional toll or cost to the public, by the Pier Company, at an expense of £8000; it is constructed entirely of English oak, and extends northward into the sea 1120 feet from the shore. The harbour, though from its situation much exposed to storms from the northeast, was greatly improved by the construction of the new pier, and affords good shelter; several tradingvessels are constantly sailing between this place and the Dutch coast. Amongst the distinguished persons who have embarked or landed at Margate were, the Elector Palatine and his consort, in the reign of James I.; William III.; George I.; George II. and his queen Caroline; the Duke of Marlborough; the late Duke of York, on his expedition to Flanders, in 1793; and Admiral Duncan, after his victory off Camperdown, in 1797.


Seal of the Pier Company.

The parish comprises by measurement 3852 acres, of which by far the greater portion is arable land in a high state of cultivation. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £681; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, a spacious building of flint and stone, with a square tower and low spire, erected at various periods and in different styles, was originally a chapel of ease to Minster, and was made parochial in 1290. The church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, completed in 1829, from a design by Mr. Wm. Edmunds, is an elegant structure of Bath stone, in the early English style, with a tower which rises to the height of 135 feet, and is visible at a considerable distance: at the west end of the interior is a deep recess for the organ, which cost £750, and was presented by the late James Taddy, Esq. The total expense of the building was about £28,000, towards which the Parliamentary Commissioners contributed £10,000, and the Pier Company £2000. The living is held by the vicar, but after his death will be made parochial. The Baptists, Wesleyans, Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, the Presbyterians, and Roman Catholics, have places of worship; there is a Seamen's chapel; the Wesleyans have a small meetinghouse at Garlinge, and the Society of Friends possess one at Drapers' Hospital. This hospital, about half a mile from the parochial church, was founded in 1709, by Michael Yoakley, for nine aged women. The Royal Sea-bathing Infirmary was instituted in 1792, and opened in 1796; the building consists of a centre and two wings, capable of accommodating 200 patients. In 1839, Mrs. Kidman bequeathed the interest of £2500 consols., to poor seamen at Margate, and seamen's widows, to be paid anuually; and there are numerous other bequests for the relief of the poor.

At the distance of a mile to the south-west of the town is Dandelion, the fortified mansion of a family of that name in the reign of Edward I., and of which a gate-house is still standing: the last of the family was buried in the north chancel of the church, and the stone over his grave bears his effigy in brass, and the date 1445. About a quarter of a mile south of the church is Salmstone Grange, where are the remains of a chapel, or oratory, that belonged to the monastery of St. Augustine; and in the middle of a field about a mile and a half further, at a place called Chapel Bottom, are the ruins of Dene chapel, held under a licence from the monastery, in 1230, by Sir Henry de Sandwich. It is supposed that a severe battle was fought between the Danes and the Saxons in this neighbourhood, from the number of graves discovered on both the hills contiguous to the town. Various coins, also, and other antiquities, have at different times been dug up; and in making the excavations for Trinity Church, two urns filled with human bones, standing in, and likewise covered with, pateræ, were found in a fine state of preservation, having the name of the Roman Emperor Maximilian impressed on the different pieces.