Marshfield (St. Mary)
MARSHFIELD (St. Mary), a market-town and
parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Thornbury, W. division of
the county of Gloucester, 11½ miles (E.) from Bristol,
and 102 (W. by S.) from London; containing, with the
hamlets of Becks, Rocks, and Weston Town, 1674 inhabitants. The town consists mainly of a single street,
nearly a mile in length: the trade is principally in malt,
a great part of which is the produce of the vicinity.
The market is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on May
24th and Oct. 24th, the former chiefly for horned-cattle,
and the latter for sheep, horses, and cheese. A bailiff
is annually elected at the manorial court, and is assisted
by a serjeant-at-mace. The parish comprises 5845 acres,
of which 72 are common or waste land. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£29. 4. 9.; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and
Fellows of New College, Oxford. The impropriate tithes
have been commuted for £680, with 118 acres of glebe;
and the vicarial for £321. 14., with a glebe of 15 acres.
The church is a handsome and spacious edifice, in the
later English style, with a fine tower. There is a place
of worship for Unitarians. A free school was founded
about 1722, by John Harrington, Esq., and was endowed with lands in 1731, by Dionysia Long: the
income is £62. Almshouses for eight persons were
endowed by Nicholas Crispe, in 1625; and there are
benefactions for other charitable purposes. In the
parish are some barrows and intrenchments, supposed
to have been raised about 561, when the battle of Dirham
took place in the neighbourhood; and Leland mentions
the existence of a nunnery, of which, however, there are
MARSHFIELD, a parish, in the union and division
of Newport, hundred of Wentlloog, county of Monmouth, 5 miles (S. W.) from Newport; containing 503
inhabitants. At Castleton, a hamlet in the parish, anciently stood a castle, occupied, if not built, by the
Normans, to protect their conquest of Wentlloog: the
only remains are some small ruins of the citadel, and
the chapel converted into a barn. On the level summit
of an adjoining hill is a circular encampment, called
Pen-y-Park-Newydd. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 6.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The
great tithes have been commuted for £175, and the
vicarial for £48; there is a glebe-house, and the vicar's
glebe contains 27 acres. The church is a large and
handsome structure, in the later English style.
MARSHWOOD, a parish, in the hundred of Whitchurch-Canonicorum, union of Beaminster, Bridport division of Dorset, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Beaminster; containing 554 inhabitants. This place, which
takes its name from the marshy woody vale in which it
is situated, was anciently an honour, the only one in the
county, and the head of a barony. The living is annexed, with the livings of Chideock and Stanton St.
Gabriel, to the vicarage of Whitchurch-Canonicorum.
The church, which fell down in 1662, has been recently
Marsk (St. Cuthbert)
MARSK (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of
Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of
York, 4¾ miles (W.) from Richmond; containing, with
the township of Feldom and the hamlet of Skelton, 274
inhabitants. The lordship of Marsk was bestowed upon
the Hutton family in the 12th century, by Conan, Earl
of Richmond, whose original grant is still preserved in
the Hall. The parish comprises by computation 5220
acres. The village is small, and picturesquely seated on
the north side of Swaledale, upon the road from Richmond to Reeth; about a mile and half north of it, on
the high moors, is the hamlet of Feldom, and half a mile
westward that of Skelton. Marsk Hall and Clints Hall
are both beautifully situated in fine lawns and pleasuregrounds, and near the former is an obelisk 60 feet in
height, which covers the remains of Captain Matthew
Hutton, who died in 1813. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 5½., and in the
patronage of J. Hutton, Esq., with a net income of £179.
A school, endowed with about £20 per annum, is conducted on the national system.
Marsk in Cleveland (St. Germain)
MARSK in Cleveland (St. Germain), a parish, in
the union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty
of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York; containing, with
part of the town of Redcar, 1177 inhabitants, of whom
503 are in the township of Marsk, 5 miles (N. N. E.)
from Guisborough. The manor was one of the lordships
granted by the Conqueror to Robert de Brus, lord of
Skelton, whose family held it for some time; it was
afterwards possessed by the Fauconbergs, since which
the lands have belonged to various families, including
those of Neville, Lowther, and Dundas. The parish is
divided by the Saltburn beck from the parish of Skelton,
and comprises about 3500 acres: the soil of a portion is
of a fine sandy kind; the other parts are inclined to a
strong fertile clay, suitable to the growth of wheat. The
village is of considerable extent, and contains some neat
houses; near its centre is Marsk Hall, built by Sir
William Pennyman, Bart., in the style that prevailed in
the time of Charles I. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 11. 10½., and in
the patronage of the Earl of Zetland, with a net income
of £91; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The
church, founded before the Norman Conquest, and rebuilt in 1821, stands near the edge of the cliff on the
sea-shore, its spire serving as an excellent landmark.
At Redcar is a separate incumbency. There is a place
of worship for Wesleyans.
MARSTON, a township, in the parish of Great
Budworth, union of Northwich, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2¼ miles
(N. N. E.) from Northwich; containing 479 inhabitants.
It comprises 970 acres, of a clayey soil. The Grand
Trunk canal passes through the township.
Marston (St. Mary)
MARSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. by W.) from the town
of Grantham; containing 434 inhabitants. The living
is a rectory, united to that of Hougham. Margaret
Thorold, in the year 1718, gave some land, the income
to be applied to instruction.
Marston (St. Lawrence)
MARSTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union
of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division
of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (E.) from Banbury; containing 540 inhabitants. It comprises 1865a.
28p., of which two-thirds are rich pasture, and the remainder arable and woodland. Several tributaries of
the river Ouse have their rise in the parish. The females
are employed in making pillow-lace. There are some
quarries of stone for building purposes and for repairing
the roads. The living is a vicarage, with that of Warkworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £20; net
income, £316; patron and impropriator, John Jackson
Blencowe, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in
1759; the glebe comprises 190 acres, with a house.
The church is a fine edifice of the 14th century, with the
usual ground plan, and has a square tower of lofty proportions; the churchyard is inclosed by an invisible
fence merely, so that it appears to form part of the
pleasure-grounds of Mr. Blencowe. Two schools are
partly supported by charity.
Marston (St. Nicholas)
MARSTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Headington, hundred of Bullingdon, county of
Oxford, 1¾ mile (N. N. E.) from Oxford; containing
396 inhabitants. In the reign of Charles I., the treaty
for the surrender of Oxford to the parliamentarians,
was negotiated here, in the mansion-house of the family
of Croke, now converted into a farmhouse. The parish
comprises 1177 acres, of which 220 are arable, 950 pasture, and 7 woodland; the meadows on the banks of
the river Cherwell are luxuriantly rich. The living is a
discharged vicarage; net income, £195; patron, incumbent, and impropriator, the Rev. T. H. Whorwood.
MARSTON, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Mary,
union of Stafford, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles
(N.) from Stafford; containing 178 inhabitants. It
comprises about 1500 acres of land, the soil of which is
a rich loam; a considerable extent of waste was inclosed
in 1800, when 125 acres were given to the parishioners
in lieu of their right of common. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £140; patron, the Rector
of St. Mary's. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £242, payable to the trustees of the Stafford
charities, and the small tithes for £100. The chapel is
a neat edifice of stone, with a campanile turret.
MARSTON, a quarter, in the parish of ChurchBickenhill, union of Meriden, Solihull division of
the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county
of Warwick, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from the town of
Coleshill; containing 310 inhabitants.
MARSTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Wolstan,
union of Rugby, Rugby division of the hundred of
Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick,
6 miles (E. by S.) from Coventry; containing 486 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Breton's Mannour,
was held by Guido Breton in the reign of Henry IV.;
the manor has since gone with that of Wolstan. The
hamlet is situated near the river Avon, where the soil is
naturally marshy; and derives its name from that circumstance. It is separated from Wolstan village by a
MARSTON, a tything, in the parish of Potterne,
union of Devizes, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 3¾ miles
(S. W.) from Devizes; containing 179 inhabitants.
Marston, in the hundred of Halfshire, county of Worcester.—See Hall-Green.
MARSTON, in the hundred of Halfshire, county
of Worcester.—See Hall-Green.
Marston-Bigott (St. Leonard)
MARSTON-BIGOTT (St. Leonard), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Frome; containing 534
inhabitants. This place derives the affix to its name
from the Bigott family, to whom the manor for several
centuries belonged, and the site of whose ancient mansion is still marked by the moat. The parish comprises
about 2000 acres of land, watered by two small rivulets.
The scenery is richly diversified: a line of hills extends
through the parish from east to west, on each side of
which are woods of luxuriant growth; and Marston
House, the seat of the Earl of Cork and Orrery, is beautifully situated, overlooking a fertile valley. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 9½.,
and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 46 acres. The
church was taken down, and rebuilt on another site, by
the 7th earl. A room at Gaer Hill, formerly used as a
dissenters' meeting-house, has been converted into a
chapel; and schools are partly supported by the Boyle
MARSTON, BROAD, a hamlet, in the parish of
Pebworth, union of Evesham, Upper division of the
hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of
Gloucester; containing 289 inhabitants.
Marston, Butlers (St. Peter and St. Paul)
MARSTON, BUTLERS (St. Peter and St. Paul),
a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Kington division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of
the county of Warwick, 1½ mile (S. W. by S.) from
Kington; containing 313 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1650 acres of land, chiefly arable;
the soil is clayey, and the surface undulated, rising in
some parts into considerable hills. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 4.;
net income, £88; patrons and impropriators, the Dean
and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church is
an ancient structure, principally in the Norman style.
Upon an artificial mount was, until lately, a decayed
elm of large dimensions, capable of containing twelve
persons, and formed by nature into the appearance of a
Marston-Fleet (St. Mary)
MARSTON-FLEET (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of
Buckingham, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Aylesbury;
containing 38 inhabitants. It is beautifully situated in
the vale of Aylesbury, and comprises 918 acres, of which
102 are arable, and the remainder pasture. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 8½.;
net income, £176; patron, the Rev. S. Humphreys. The
church is in the early English style.
MARSTON-JABBETT, a hamlet, in the parish of
Bulkington, poor-law union of Nuneaton, Kirby
division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of
the county of Warwick, 3¼ miles (S. by E.) from the
town of Nuneaton; containing 93 inhabitants.
Marston, Lea.—See Lea-Marston.
MARSTON, LEA.—See Lea-Marston.
MARSTON, LONG, a chapelry, in the parish of
Tring, union of Berkhampstead, hundred of Dacorum,
county of Hertford, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Tring;
containing 269 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to
All Saints. The extra-parochial place called Long Marston with Asthorpe adjoins this chapelry, but is in the
parish of Marsworth, county of Buckingham; it contains 12 inhabitants.
Marston, Long (All Saints)
MARSTON, LONG (All Saints), a parish, in the
W. division of Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York,
7½ miles (W.) from York; containing, with the townships of Angram and Hutton-Wandesley, 649 inhabitants, of whom 446 are in the township of Long Marston. This place is memorable as the scene of the battle
which occurred on the 2nd of July, 1644, upon MarstonMoor, between the royalists, commanded by Prince
Rupert, and the parliamentarians under Cromwell, and
which, after an obstinate and protracted conflict and
considerable slaughter on both sides, terminated in
the total defeat of the royal army, and the ultimate
abandonment of York to the republican forces. The
parish comprises 4260 acres, of which 2540 are in the
township of Long Marston: the surface is generally flat,
and the soil a stiff clay, alternated with portions of
lighter quality and greater fertility; the lands are principally arable, and the system of cultivation is improved.
The village, which is on the road to Wetherby, consists
chiefly of irregularly built and scattered houses, and the
surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 3. 9.;
net income, £865; patron, Lord Wenlock. A portion
of the tithes was commuted for 371 acres of land in
1766; the rector has an old glebe of 39 acres, and
receives a tithe rent-charge of £341. The church is an
ancient structure in the decorated English style, repaired
and repewed in 1810, with a square embattled tower.
Marston Magna (St. Mary)
MARSTON MAGNA (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Sherborne, hundred of Horethorne, E.
division of Somerset, 5¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Yeovil;
containing 357 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the
king's books at £6. 10. 10., and in the gift of Mrs.
Fitzherbert: the tithes have been commuted for £300,
and the glebe comprises 87 acres. The church is a
neat stone structure, with a strong embattled tower
crowned by pinnacles. Sir John St. Barbe, in 1736,
gave to the vicar the rectory, parsonage-house, and some
lands, on condition that he should educate, or cause to be
educated, ten poor boys. On opening a pit in 1788, near
the margin of a brook, some fine specimens of a calcareous blue stone, almost filled with cornua ammonis, overspread with white pearl, were discovered, and raised in
masses sufficiently large to form slabs which took a
beautiful polish. In the same field, irregular heaps of
mundic, with large metalliferous cornua ammonis, were
found; and the quarries on the hills, from one of which
the brook takes its rise, abound in ammonites, nautili,