MATSON, a parish, in the Middle division of the
hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union and
E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles
(S. by E.) from Gloucester; containing 61 inhabitants.
This place, during the siege of Gloucester, became the
head-quarters of Charles I.; and the ancient manorhouse, erected by Sir Ambrose Willoughby, Knt., in the
reign of Elizabeth, was on that occasion occupied by
the king's sons, Charles and James. Matson House
belonged to the celebrated George Selwyn. The parish
comprises 466a. 3r. 1p. Out of the vale rises Robin
Hood's Hill, of conical form, a beautiful object in the
scenery: it has for centuries supplied Gloucester with
water by means of aqueducts, which are mentioned in
numerous ancient documents; and it is said, that before the Conquest it produced iron-ore for the forges of
that city. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £3. 16. 5½.; net income, £184;
patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The
tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1796.
MATTERDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of
Cumberland, 10 miles (S. W. by W.) from Penrith;
containing 363 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on
the east side of an extensive moor, and affords only
coarse pasture, with the exception of about 20 acres of
inclosed arable and meadow land. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Rector
of Greystock. The chapel was erected in 1685. Robert Grisdale, in 1722, built a school, and endowed it
with £11 a year.
Mattersey (All Saints)
MATTERSEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of East Retford, Hatfield division of the wapentake
of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Bawtry; containing 519
inhabitants. This parish consists of 2561 acres, in a
fertile district abounding with pleasing scenery; the
lands were inclosed in 1770. The village is situated on
the bank of the river Idle, over which is a neat stone
bridge; and the Chesterfield canal passes within a mile.
A fair, chiefly for horned-cattle, is held on the 29th of
September. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £6. 8. 9.; patron, the Archbishop of York; impropriator, Earl Spencer. The
tithes have been commuted for 130 acres of land,
valued at £300 per annum; and there is a glebe-house.
The church is a handsome structure in the later English
style, forming an interesting feature in the landscape.
Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A priory of
Gilbertine canons, dedicated to St. Helen, was founded
here before 1192, by Roger de Maresay, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £61. 17. 7.
MATTINGLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Heckfield, union of Hartley-Wintney, hundred of Holdshott, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of
Southampton, 2¾ miles (W. by S.) from HartfordBridge; containing 270 inhabitants.
Mattishall (All Saints)
MATTISHALL (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Mitford,
W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from East
Dereham; containing 1155 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 2280a. 1p., of which 1898 acres are arable,
338 pasture and meadow, and 10 woodland. The
worsted manufacture was carried on, but since the introduction of machinery it has been discontinued. The
living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of
Pattesley united, valued in the king's books at £7. 7. 3½.;
patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of
Caius College, Cambridge. The impropriate tithes have
been commuted for £448, and the vicarial for £293;
the impropriate glebe comprises 6 acres, and the vicarial
23. The church is a handsome structure in the later
English style, with a lofty embattled tower surmounted
by a spire; on the south side of the chancel is a piscina
of elegant design, and the church contains several
monuments, and some ancient brasses. Here are places
of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents,
and Primitive Methodists. At the inclosure of the
parish, 60 acres were allotted to the poor: these, with
other lands, produce £90 per annum; and the poor
have some small sums arising from benefactions.
Mattishall-Burgh (St. Peter)
MATTISHALL-BURGH (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of
Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (E. by S.)
from East Dereham; containing 230 inhabitants. It
comprises 604a. 38p., of which 510 acres are arable, 70
pasture and meadow, and 10 woodland. The living is a
discharged rectory, united to that of Hockering, and
valued in the king's books at £3. 15. 10.: the tithes
have been commuted for £192. 10., and there are 20a.
2r. 12p. of glebe. The church, chiefly in the decorated
and later styles, consists of a nave, chancel, and north
aisle, with a square embattled tower; a carved screen
separates the chancel from the nave.
MAUGHAN'S, ST., a parish, in the division and
hundred of Skenfreth, union and county of Monmouth, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Monmouth; containing 204 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the
east by the river Munnow, which separates the counties
of Monmouth and Hereford; it comprises by computation 1302 acres, whereof 541 are arable, 632 pasture
and meadow, 101 woodland, and 28 road and waste.
The surface is undulated, the soil fertile, and the scenery
grounds are extensive and picturesque views, especially
from the summit of Coedangra, whence may be seen the
Wrekin (Salop), the Malvern hills (Worcester), Fairford (Oxford), and also the Hereford, Gloucester, Monmouth, Glamorgan, and Brecknockshire hills. Hillstone
House, here, is a handsome mansion in the Grecian
style, situated on an eminence. The living is a vicarage,
annexed to that of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel: the whole
of the tithes have been commuted for £158. 8. 4., of
which £108 are payable to the vicar. The church is
chiefly in the early style, and consists of two aisles,
with a low square tower. In the grounds of Hillstone
is a Holy well, formerly much resorted to by pilgrims.
Maulden (St. Mary)
MAULDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of
Bedford, 1½ mile (E.) from Ampthill; containing 1330
inhabitants. It comprises nearly 3000 acres; 260 are
woodland and plantations, and of the remainder twothirds are arable and one-third pasture: the surface is
varied and the low grounds are watered by the river
Flitt, a tributary of the Ivel. Many of the females are
employed in lace-making and the platting of straw.
There are some quarries of sandstone. A pleasure-fair
is held in the week nearest to St. Bartholomew's day.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£15. 9. 7.; net income, £512; patron, the Marquess
of Ailesbury: the tithes were commuted for land and a
corn-rent in 1796. The church, principally in the later
English style, was restored in 1837. There are places
of worship for Baptists and Independents.
MAUNBY, a township, in the parish of KirbyWisk, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Gilling-East,
N. riding of York, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Northallerton; containing 283 inhabitants. It is on the east
bank of the Swale, and comprises by computation 1474
acres of land. The Leeming-Lane passes at about two
miles' distance on the west.
Mautby (St. Peter and St. Paul)
MAUTBY (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in
the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of
East Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (W. by
N.) from Caistor; containing 66 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1600 acres, of which 960 are
arable, and 650 meadow and marsh land. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and
in the gift of Robert Fellowes, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £580, and the glebe comprises 46
acres. The church is in the early and decorated English styles, with a tower of earlier date, octagonal in the
upper part, and circular in the lower.
MAWDESLEY, a township, in the parish of Croston, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Chorley;
containing 867 inhabitants. Adam de Mawdesley was
a ward of the duchy of Lancaster in the reign of Edward III.; Robert Mawdesley, the last of this ancient
family, was living at Mawdesley Hall about 1760. A
moiety of the manor was held at an early period by
William del Lee and Isolda his wife, and descended, with
Croston, to the families of Hesketh and Trafford. Mawdesley is a level and fertile township between Croston
and Wrightington, and comprises 1869 acres of land,
watered by the Sidbrook. It forms, with Bispham, an
ecclesiastical district, the living of which is a perpetual
curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Croston;
net income, £145, with a house. The tithes have
been commuted for £366 payable to the rector of
Chorley, and £50 to the rector of Croston. The church,
dedicated to St. Peter, and consecrated in June, 1840,
was built at a cost of £1260, and is in the early
English style, with a tower and spire. The Roman
Catholic chapel here, also dedicated to St. Peter, was
built in 1832, at a cost of £2000, including the priest's
house; the amount was partly raised by subscription,
and partly derived from property left in 1826 by the
Rev. Edward Barrett, who also left 63 acres of land for
the priest. There is a national school. On the estate
of Salt Pit is a brine spring.
MAWES, ST., a small
sea-port and market-town,
in the parish of St. Just
in Roseland, union of
Truro, W. division of the
hundred of Powder and of
the county of Cornwall,
3 miles (E.) from Falmouth
(across the harbour), and
265 (S. W. by W.) from London; containing 941 inhabitants. The name is with
probability considered to be
a corruption of St. Mary's, and the place is called St.
Mawes, alias St. Mary's, in various ancient records,
perhaps from the priory of St. Mary at Plympton, which
had land near the town. A castle was erected here in
1542, by Henry VIII., during the war with France, as a
protection to Falmouth harbour; and at the Dissolution, the fortress, with the lands which had belonged to
the priory at Plympton, became the property of the
Vyvyan family, who possessed them for several generations. The town consists principally of one street fronting the sea, and lies at the foot of a hill rising somewhat
abruptly; it is irregularly built, and chiefly inhabited by
fishermen and pilots. Cables, ropes, &c., are manufactured for small craft. The pilchard-fishery, although on
the decline, is the main source of occupation; and
14,000 hogsheads of the fish have been exported from
St. Mawes and Falmouth, of which latter port this is a
member, in one season. A small market for butchers'
meat is held on Friday. A portreeve, commonly called
mayor, is presented by a jury at the court leet of the
manor, held in October, in the town-hall. St. Mawes
first sent members to parliament in 1562; it was disfranchised by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45.
There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Mawgan-in-Meneage (St. Mawgan)
MAWGAN-in-Meneage (St. Mawgan), a parish,
in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of
Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (E.
S. E.) from Helston; containing 1084 inhabitants. This
parish, which is situated near the head of the Helford
creek, comprises a portion of the small port of Gweek,
and contains some pleasing scenery and some good
views, especially from Point Downs, from which there
is a picturesque view of the valley of Mawgan, with a
branch of the river Hel. Trelowarren, the seat of Sir
R. Vyvyan, Bart., is a mansion in the later English
style, erected in 1644; attached is a chapel, splendidly
decorated. Fairs are held on the first Tuesday after
Lady-day, the second Tuesday in August, and the first
Tuesday in December, for cattle. The living is a rectory,
with that of St. Martin in Meneage united, valued in the
king's books at £35. 10. 2½., and in the gift of the Rev.
G. Trevelyan: the tithes have been commuted for £600,
and there is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 23 acres.
The church contains some interesting monuments.
Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
At Trevesack is an ancient encampment, in which an
earthen pot was turned up by the plough a few years
since, containing a large quantity of Roman coins.
MAWGAN-in-Pyder, a parish, in the union of St.
Columb Major, E. division of the hundred of Pyder
and of the county of Cornwall, 3 miles (N. W. by W.)
from St. Columb Major; containing 749 inhabitants.
This place is on the shore of the Bristol Channel, by
which it is bounded on the west, and contains a small
cove called Mawgan Porth; the cliffs are remarkably
fine, especially at that part called Bodrathan Steps,
where is a firm sandy beach three miles in extent,
named Trevarrian. The parish comprises by computation 6078 acres, of which 600 are common or waste.
Slate, thought to be equal in quality to that of the Dellabole quarries, is procured in vast quantities from the
cliffs, and sent to different parts of the kingdom. The
village is beautifully situated in a picturesque valley
watered by a considerable stream which, at the distance
of two miles, falls into the sea between two immense
cliffs. A fair for cattle takes place on Midsummer-day;
and a court leet and baron is held annually for the
manor of Carnanton. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £26. 13. 4., and in the gift of H.
Willyams, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£605, and the glebe comprises 64 acres. The church
is an ancient structure: in the churchyard is a cross
with a niche, in which the Crucifixion is sculptured in
high relief, with several figures. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans. Lanherne House, long the residence of the lords Arundel, was fitted up by the eighth
lord as an asylum for Carmelite nuns, who emigrated
from Antwerp, and by such it is still occupied.
Mawnan (St. Mona)
MAWNAN (St. Mona), a parish, in the union of
Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W.
division of Cornwall, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Falmouth; containing 582 inhabitants. It is bounded on
the south-east by the English Channel, in which, within
its limits, are two small open bays, called respectively
Paisk and Bream; on the south runs the Helford river,
an arm of the sea about a mile in breadth. The parish
comprises 2058a. 3r. 37p. The soil is indifferent; in
some parts coarse and shallow, and in others overgrown
with furze: the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds
are watered by numerous rivulets. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 16. 3., and in
the gift of the Rev. John Rogers: the tithes have been
commuted for £304. 10.; the glebe comprises 38 acres,
with a spacious house. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style: on rebuilding the north
wall, in 1827, the foundations of a wall were discovered,
which had evidently belonged to a former church. At
Penwarne was anciently a chapel, with a cemetery.
There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
At Carlinnack is a circular intrenchment.
MAWTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Well,
union of Spilsby, Wold division of the hundred of
Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
2 miles (S. by E.) from Alford; with 30 inhabitants.
Maxey (St. Mary)
MAXEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and soke
of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 1¾ mile (S. S. W.) from Market-Deeping; containing, with the hamlet of Deeping-Gate, 611 inhabitants,
of whom 410 are in the hamlet of Maxey. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£10; income, £304; patrons and appropriators, the
Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is
Norman, with portions in the decorated and later English styles. In the parish are Lolham bridges, constructed by the Romans, to conduct the Ermin-street
over the low grounds adjoining the river Welland.
Maxstoke (St. Michael)
MAXSTOKE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Meriden, Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 2¾
miles (S. E. by E.) from Coleshill; containing 346 inhabitants. This place, written Machintone in Domesday
book, is therein certified as having woods one mile in
length and half a mile in breadth. William de Odingsells, in the reign of Henry III., had a charter of free
warren in all his demesne lands here; and his son and
successor claimed by prescription, in the reign of Edward I., a court-leet, with gallows, tumbrell, and assize of
bread and beer, which were allowed. The lordship was
conveyed by an heiress to the Clintons, who exchanged
it with the noble family of Stafford. The parish is
bounded on the west and south by the river Blythe, and
comprises by computation 2719 acres: the soil is generally a stiff clay producing good crops of wheat, and the
surface is flat, except on the east, where it rises into a
hill of considerable elevation. The Derby and Birmingham railway passes through the parish. Maxstoke
Castle is the property of Capt. Thomas Dilke, R.N., a
descendant of Sir Thomas Dilke, who purchased it in
the 41st of Elizabeth from Sir Thomas Egerton, keeper
of the great seal: the buildings occupy an irregular
quadrilateral area, inclosed by an embattled wall, and
defended at the angles by octagonal towers, and are in a
fine state of preservation. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net
income, £70; patron and impropriator, Lord Leigh.
There are extensive remains of a priory of Augustine
canons, founded in 1336 by Sir William de Clinton,
Earl of Huntingdon, and which was dedicated to the
Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Michael, and
All Saints, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of
£129. 11. 8.
Mayfield (St. John The Baptist)
MAYFIELD (St. John The Baptist), a parish, in
the S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford; containing, with the
chapelry of Butterton, part of Calton, and the township
of Woodhouses, 1348 inhabitants, of whom 847 are in
the township of Mayfield, 2¼ miles (S. W.) from Ashbourn. This place, from the discovery of Roman antiquities in the immediate vicinity, is supposed to have
been occupied by the Romans: in digging a morass,
vestiges of a paved road were discovered, and traces of
an old fortification have been found at a place called
Clines. The parish forms part of a tract of beautifully
picturesque country, watered by the river Dove, and
comprises 1815a. 1r. 35p. Hanging Bridge, an ancient
stone structure of five arches, crosses the romantic vale
of the Dove about half a mile north of the church. The
cotton manufacture is carried on; the spinning of yarn
affords employment to about 100 persons, and an equal
number are engaged in the works at Hanging Bridge, on
the other side of the river. The living is a discharged
vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes,
and valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 8.; net income,
£151; patron, Dr. Greaves; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, the family of Bill. The
church is a handsome structure in the later English style,
with a lofty embattled tower, and contains some details
of Norman character, of which the arched doorway on
the south side is a fine specimen. There are chapels at
Butterton and Calton, a place of worship for Wesleyans,
and a national school. Within the parish are two barrows, called Harlow and Rowloo; and at Halsteads are
considerable remains of a large moated residence, approached by an ancient bridge in fine preservation,
though much obscured by foliage and overhanging
Mayfield (St. Dunstan)
MAYFIELD (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union
of Uckfield, hundred of Loxfield-Camden, rape of
Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 9 miles (E. N. E.)
from Uckfield; containing 2943 inhabitants. Henry
III. granted a charter for a market and two fairs to be
held here; the former has long been disused, and the
latter are on May 30th for pedlery, and November 13th
for cattle and pedlery. A great fire broke out at Mayfield in 1389, which burned the church and the greater
part of the village. The parish is situated on the road
from Toubridge-Wells to Eastbourne, and comprises by
computation 13,133 acres, of which about 500 are hopgrounds; the surface is diversified with hills, and the
lower grounds are watered by the river Rother. The
soil is principally clay, alternated with sand; iron sandstone is abundant, and there were formerly furnaces for
smelting ore. A corn-market is held every Wednesday.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£17. 13. 4.; net income, £834; patron and incumbent,
the Rev. H. T. M. Kirby; chief impropriators, Lord
Carrington, and the trustees of Smith's charity. The
church is a handsome structure in the later English
style, with a square tower surmounted by a low spire,
and from its elevated situation is conspicuous for many
miles in every direction. Here are places of worship for
Independents and Wesleyans. A free school, founded
in 1749, has an endowment of £27 per annum. There
are some fine remains of a mansion that belonged to the
archbishops of Canterbury before the Reformation, consisting of the gatehouse, porter's lodge, and a considerable portion of the magnificent hall: a large room in
that part of the building still habitable, was occupied by
Elizabeth in 1573, during the entertainment given by
Sir Thomas Gresham, then proprietor of the house, to
the queen and her suite, in her progress through Kent.