MILFORD, a village and ecclesiastical district, in
the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of
Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles
(S.) from Belper; the village containing 895, and the
district 2100, inhabitants. The village, which is situated
on the river Derwent, and on the road from Derby to
Matlock, and is now a considerable place, consisted
prior to 1781 of only eight houses. At that period
Messrs. Strutt built a cotton-mill, and the firm has now
a large cotton-manufactory and some extensive bleaching and dye works here: there is also an iron-foundry.
These establishments afford employment to the greater
portion of the population; about 1000 persons are engaged in the various branches of the cotton manufacture. Messrs. Strutt early built a handsome stone
bridge over the Derwent, which is now a county bridge.
The Midland railway passes through a tunnel here, half
a mile in length, 22 feet wide, and 26 feet high. The
ecclesiastical district was constituted in January, 1846,
under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; its extent
is about a square mile, of hilly surface: there are
considerable stone-quarries. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the
Bishop of Lichfield, alternately. A church is about to
be erected; it will be in the early English style, will
seat 516 persons, and will cost £2024. The Wesleyans
and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship,
both of stone, the former built in 1842, the latter in
1825. A school is supported by the proprietors of the
MILFORD, a parish, in the union of Lymington,
partly in the hundred of Ringwood, New Forest (East)
division, but chiefly in the hundred of Christchurch,
Lymington and S. divisions, of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. W.) from Lymington; containing,
with the tythings of Efford, Keyhaven, and Pennington,
1819 inhabitants, of whom 504 are in the tything of
Milford. The parish is bounded on the south-east by
the Isle of Wight channel; and comprises 4647a. 2r. 16p.,
of which 2604 acres are arable, 1308 pasture, 246 woodland, 257 in gardens and pools, and 230 uninclosed
common. Its surface is beautifully varied; and a limpid stream, which rises in the New Forest, flows through
the parish. The living is a vicarage, with that of Hordle
annexed, valued in the king's books at £20. 12. 1½.;
patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College,
Oxford; impropriators, John Pulteney, Esq., and others.
The great tithes have been commuted for £92, and the
vicarial for £290; the glebe comprises 20 acres. A
second church was built in the parish, at Pennington,
MILFORD, a district, in the parish of St. Martin,
union of Alderbury, hundred of Underditch, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, ½ a
mile (E.) from Salisbury; containing, with part of Ford
tything, 537 inhabitants.
Milford, in the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, county of York.—See Kirkby-Wharfe.
MILFORD, in the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash,
county of York.—See Kirkby-Wharfe.
MILFORD, SOUTH, a township, in the parish of
Sherburn, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 4¾ miles (N. by E.)
from Ferry-Bridge; containing 751 inhabitants. A
station on the Leeds and Selby railway is fixed at this
place, and the York and North-Midland line enters the
township soon after passing under the former. A district church was built by the Misses Gascoigne in 1846,
on a site given by Lincoln College, Oxford; it is in the
style of the 13th century, and cost £1500. In digging
for the Leeds and Selby railroad, an ancient burialground was discovered, supposed to have belonged to
one of the four chapels formerly attached to Sherburn
according to Domesday book. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
MILKHOUSE-STREET, a hamlet, in the parish,
union, and hundred of Cranbrooke, Lower division of
the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 1¼ mile (N. E.)
from Cranbrooke. A small manufacture for hop-bagging is carried on. The Wesleyans have a place of
worship. Here are the interesting remains of a chapel
dedicated to the Holy Trinity; also the ruins of Sissinghurst Castle, formerly the seat of Sir Richard Baker,
Knt., author of the English Chronicle.
MILLAND, a chapelry, in the parish of Trotton,
union of Midhurst, hundred of Easebourne, rape of
Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 6 miles (N. W.)
from Midhurst; containing 138 inhabitants.
MILLAND-VILLE, an extra-parochial liberty, adjacent to the city, and within the liberty of the soke, of
Winchester, union of Winchester, Winchester and
N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing
Millbrook (St. Michael)
MILLBROOK (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of
Bedford, 1¼ mile (W. by N.) from Ampthill; containing 462 inhabitants. It comprises 1749a. 2r. 3p. The
soil on the south side is of a light sandy nature, and on
the north a strong clay; the surface is varied, and a
chain of hills intersects the parish nearly in the centre.
The females are employed in making pillow-lace and
platting straw. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £9. 16. 3.; net income, £343; patron,
the Crown. The tithes were commuted for land and
corn-rents in 1795; the glebe comprises 14 acres, with
a house. The church, situated on a lofty eminence, is
a handsome structure in the later English style, and
contains some ancient monuments, and one in marble,
by Westmacott, to the Hon. Georgiana Fox, youngest
daughter of the late Lord Holland; his lordship, who
died in 1840, was also interred here. In the parish was
a small cell of Benedictine monks, subordinate to the
abbey of St. Alban's, who were afterwards removed to
the Hermitage of Moddry.
Millbrook (St. Nicholas)
MILLBROOK (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of South Stoneham, hundred of Buddlesgate, Southampton and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Southampton; containing
4232 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2947 acres, of
which 408 are common or waste land. The surface rises
gradually from the banks of the Southampton Water,
and the scenery is pleasingly varied; the soil is generally light and shallow, resting upon gravel. At Mill
Place are a large foundry, and works for the manufacture of long, marine, and locomotive engines; also a
brass-foundry, in which 160 persons are employed. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 3.;
patron, the Bishop of Winchester: the incumbent's
tithes have been commuted for £554, and those of an
impropriator for £266; there is an acre of glebe, with a
parsonage-house. The church has been enlarged.—See
Redbridge and Shirley.
MILL-HILL, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish
and union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of
Middlesex, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Edgware; containing 1050 inhabitants. The land is chiefly meadow
and pasture, with a fine swelling surface, and varied and
beautiful scenery, interspersed with several handsome
residences. On Highwood hill is the mansion in which
the celebrated Lord Russell dwelt previously to his
arrest: the late William Wilberforce, M.P., also resided here; and subsequently Sir Stamford Raffles, to
whom we owe the origin of the Zoological gardens, and
whose lady is the present occupant. The living is a
perpetual curacy, endowed; patron, the Vicar of Hendon.
The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a substantial and
neat structure in the later English style, in the centre
of the village, erected in 1833, chiefly at the expense of
Mr. Wilberforce, and at a total cost of about £3500;
attached to it is a cemetery, consecrated in 1842. There
is a place of worship for Independents. The Protestant
dissenters' grammar school here was founded in 1807,
on the site of the residence of Peter Collinson, Esq., an
eminent naturalist, at an expense of £25,000. A national
school was built in 1834.
MILLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Rosthern, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow.
N. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (N. N.
W.) from Knutsford; containing 312 inhabitants. The
township comprises 619 acres, of a good clay and sand
soil, cultivated for the dairy. The surface is somewhat
more elevated than the surrounding country.
MILLINGTON, a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of
Harthill, E. riding of York, 3 miles (N. E.) from
Pocklington, and 16 (E.) from York; containing 268
inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement
2491 acres, of which 1534 are arable, 887 pasture, and
70 wood; the surface is generally hilly, forming beautiful undulations, and the soil light, with chalk and flint.
The village is picturesquely situated at the foot of the
Wolds. Little Givendale, in the parish, is north of
the village, and comprises 500 acres of arable and
pasture land. The living is a vicarage, annexed to
that of Great Givendale: the tithes were commuted for
land and a money payment in 1768. The church was
repewed in 1817. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is endowed with the interest of
£300. Four ancient roads meet at this place, which is
supposed to be the Roman Delgovicia. Remains exist
of a strong camp, defended by immense earthworks
from 60 to 90 feet in height, carried indiscriminately
over hills and valleys, and encompassed with four, and
in some places six, ditches, inclosing altogether an
area of 4185 acres, within which are several tumuli;
and about half a mile north-east from the village, foundations of a circular temple and two oblong buildings,
Roman pavements, tiles, coins, and various other relics
of antiquity, have been discovered.
MILL-MEECE, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Stone, N. division of the hundred
of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles
(N. N. E.) from Eccleshall; containing 122 inhabitants.
This place is situated in the Cotes quarter of the parish,
and on the Sow river. The tithes have been commuted
for a rent-charge of £127, payable to the Dean and
Chapter of Lichfield.
MILLO, a hamlet, in the parish of Dunton, union
and hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford,
3 miles (E. S. E.) from Biggleswade; containing 68
inhabitants. The chapel here has been demolished.
Millom (Holy Trinity)
MILLOM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the chapelries of
Thwaites and Ulpha, and the townships of Birker with
Austhwaite, Chapel-Sucken, and the Farm of Stainton;
and containing 1979 inhabitants, of whom 411 are in
the township of Lower Millom, and 511 in that of Upper Millom, 12 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ravenglass.
The parish is bounded on the west and south by the
Irish Sea, and on the east by the river Duddon, which
forms a bay, famous for cockles and muscles, and
abounding with salmon and sand-eels. The mineral
productions are limestone, slate, and iron and copper
ore; the limestone is found in quantities sufficient to be
worked with advantage. The Whitehaven and Furness
railway runs through the parish, and crosses the Duddon
sands by an embankment and timber viaduct. A
market and a fair were granted in the reign of Henry
III., but they have been long disused. The living is a
discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£8. 5. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of
the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £189; impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, an ancient
structure, contains a tablet to the memory of the Huddlestone family. At Thwaites and Ulpha are separate
incumbencies. Here are the remains of Millom Castle,
the ancient seat of the lords of Millom. In Upper
Millom are several springs, called Holy wells, impregnated with purgative salt.
Millshields, with Espershields
MILLSHIELDS, with Espershields, a township,
in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham,
E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 10½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Hexham; containing 198 inhabitants. Millshields is situated on the
river Derwent, about a mile east of the hamlet of Espershields.
MILNES-BRIDGE, a hamlet, partly in the township of Linthwaite, parish of Almondbury, and
partly in the townships of Golcar and Longwood,
parish of Huddersfield, union of Huddersfield,
Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding
of York. It is on the river Colne, and on the road from
Huddersfield to Manchester. The village is very centrally situated, and its inhabitants have facilities of conveyance by the Manchester canal. Milnes-Bridge House
was the residence of the Radcliffe family, of whom
Joseph Radcliffe, Esq., received the honour of baronetage
in 1813, for his exemplary conduct as a magistrate in
quelling the Luddite disturbances about that period.
St. Luke's district church, here, consecrated in November 1845, is built on a site given by Sir Joseph Radcliffe,
the second baronet, and is in the Norman style; the cost
was defrayed chiefly by the Armitage family. The living
is in the Vicar's gift.
MILNROW, an ancient chapelry having parochial
rights, in the township of Butterworth, parish and
union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division
of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (E. by S.) from
Rochdale. This place has long been distinguished for its
manufacture of flannels; and of late years, cotton spinning, weaving, and printing have been extensively introduced. The chapelry has regularly-defined boundaries, a church rate, and all parish officers. The living
is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house,
built in 1833; patron, the Vicar of Rochdale. The
ancient chapel, a small edifice, was taken down in 1796,
and the present, a spacious structure, was erected
on another site, and consecrated in 1799. A school
was endowed by Alexander Butterworth, Esq., in 1726,
with £20 per annum, since augmented to £26; and a
national, and a Lancasterian school, are partly supported by subscription. There are two other schools,
one in Hollingworth and the other in Ogden, the two
extremities of the chapelry, endowed in 1727, by John
Hill, the former with £30, and the latter with £25, per
annum. On a bleak hill to the north of Milnrow, is the
scattered village of Gallows, the site of the ancient
baronial executions. John Collier, otherwise "Tim
Bobbin," the popular author of The Lancashire Dialect,
an eccentric caricaturist, poet, and musician, resided for
57 years at Milnrow, as the village schoolmaster, and
was buried in Rochdale churchyard: some of his paintings are in the village.—See Butterworth.
Milnthorpe, with Heversham
MILNTHORPE, with Heversham, a township, in the
parish of Heversham, union and ward of Kendal, county
of Westmorland, 7½ miles (S. by W.) from Kendal, 32
(S. W. by S.) from Appleby, and 256 (N. W. by N.) from
London; containing 1599 inhabitants, of whom 1159
are in the market-town of Milnthorpe. The town consists of four short streets, with some detached houses
of neat appearance, and is beautifully situated in a valley
on the northern bank of the river Bela, which empties
itself into the estuary of the Ken: at spring tides the
sea flows up to within a mile of the town. There are
quarries of marble and limestone, and indications of
iron-ore and of coal: a flax-mill and a ropery are in
operation. Three-quarters of a mile east, is the Milnthorpe station of the Lancaster and Carlisle railway.
The market is on Friday; and fairs are held on May
12th, and Oct. 17th, for cattle, sheep, and horses.
Courts leet and baron are held annually. St. Thomas'
church, consecrated on the 1st of October, 1837, stands
prettily in the centre of the town; it is in the early
English style, with a tower and pinnacles, and cost
about £1600. Attached to it is a district including the
hamlet of Ackenthwaite. The living is a perpetual
curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Heversham;
income, £120, with a house. A national school is
partly supported by subscription.—See Heversham.
Milson (St. George)
MILSON (St. George), a parish, in the union of
Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Overs, S. division
of Salop, 3¼ miles (S. W.) from the town of CleoburyMortimer; containing 160 inhabitants. The living is
annexed to the rectory of Neen-Sollars.
Milstead (St. Mary and the Holy Cross)
MILSTEAD (St. Mary and the Holy Cross), a
parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper
division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent,
3 miles (S. by W.) from Sittingbourne; containing 229
inhabitants, and comprising 1216a. 1r. 9p., of which
277 acres are in wood. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 15.; income,
£250; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. Hinton. The
church is in the early English style. An excellent
rectory-house was built in 1833. John Wyatt, in 1722,
gave land now producing £20 a year, for instruction.
Milston (St. Mary)
MILSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Amesbury, Everley and Pewsey, and S.
divisions of Wilts, 2½ miles (N.) from Amesbury;
containing, with the hamlet of Brigmerston, 110 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £12. 15. 2½.; net income, £275; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. Peter Hall. Joseph Addison, the
distinguished essayist and poet, was born at the parsonage-house, in 1672, his father being rector.
MILTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Aslackby,
union of Bourn, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1 mile (E.) of the village of
Aslackby; containing 84 inhabitants.
MILTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of WeedonLoys, poor-law union of Towcester, hundred of
Greens-Norton, S. division of the county of Northampton; containing 30 inhabitants.