MUNGRISDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of
Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Keswick; containing 222 inhabitants. There are quarries
of blue slate and flagstone within the chapelry. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £57; patron,
the Rector of Greystock. The chapel was rebuilt in
1754. John Slee, a distinguished mathematician, who
died in 1828, was born here.
Munsley (St. Bartholomew)
MUNSLEY (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the
union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of
Hereford, 4 miles (N. W.) from Ledbury; containing
238 inhabitants. It is watered by a branch of the river
Leden, and comprises 1215 acres of land. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 6.; patron
and incumbent, the Rev. William Domville: the tithes
have been commuted for £220, and the glebe consists of
about 58 acres.
Munslow (St. Michael)
MUNSLOW (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop,
9½ miles (N.) from Ludlow; containing 773 inhabitants,
of whom 160 are in the township. This parish is situated on the road from Ludlow to Wenlock, and comprises by measurement 3484 acres; the surface is finely
varied. An act was passed in 1838 for inclosing 168
acres of waste land. The mansion of Millichope Park,
the seat of the Rev. R. N. Pemberton, is in the pure
Grecian style, and commands beautiful views: at a distance from it is a temple. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £21. 15. 2½; net income, £665;
patron, the Rev. R. Powell. The church is an ancient
structure in the early English style, with a low square
tower. The pulpit, and the front of the gallery, are of
carved oak: the eastern window, and the three side
ones, are of stained glass; the latter have been restored
to their original open style of colouring. A chantry
chapel, restored, and fitted up with carved oak, is used
as a vestry. There is a chapel of ease at Broadstone.
Munslow gave the title of Baron to Edward Littleton,
lord chief justice of the common pleas, and keeper of
the great seal, who was born here in 1589, in a house
now used as a school.
MURCOT, a hamlet, in the parish of Charltonupon-Otmore, union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 4½ miles (S.) from the town of
Bicester; containing 169 inhabitants.
MURCOTT, a hamlet, partly in the parish of LongBuckby, and partly in that of Watford, union of
Daventry, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of
the county of Northampton, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from
Daventry; containing 81 inhabitants.
Murrah, with Berrier.—See Berrier.
MURRAH, with Berrier.—See Berrier.
MURRELL-GREEN, a tything, in the parish and
hundred of Odiham, poor-law union of HartleyWintney, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of
Southampton, 2¾ miles (S. W.) from Hartford-Bridge;
containing 554 inhabitants.
Mursley (St. Mary)
MURSLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Winsloe, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3¾ miles (E. by N.) from Winslow; containing,
with the hamlet of Salden, 479 inhabitants. This place
had formerly a market on Thursday, and two fairs, one
on the day of the Assumption, and the other on the
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, all of which have been
long disused. The parish comprises 2493 acres. Salden House, the seat of the Fortescue family, was erected
by Sir John Fortescue, in the reign of Elizabeth, and
was visited both by that queen and by James I., to whom
Sir John was chancellor; he died in 1607, and was
buried at Westminster, but his remains were removed
afterwards to Mursley, and deposited in the chancel of
the church. The house has been taken down, and only
some slight remains of the offices mark out the site. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11,
and in the patronage of the Hon. Mrs. Childers; net
income, £163. The tithes were commuted for land and
a money payment in 1814; the glebe altogether comprises 246 acres, with a house. The church contains
some monuments to the family of Fortescue.
Murston (All Saints)
MURSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of
Scray, E. division of Kent, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Milton; containing 167 inhabitants. The parish is bounded
on the west and north by the Swale, which separates it
from the Isle of Elmeley. It comprises 1317a. 3r. 36½p.,
whereof 706 acres are arable, 437 pasture, 82 woodland,
and 60 orchard-ground. About 93 acres are detached
nearly five miles from the rest of the parish, and called
the Luddenham portion. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £10. 14. 2., and in the gift of St.
John's College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £615, and the glebe comprises 20½ acres.
The church is in the Norman style, with a square western tower and wooden turret.
Murton, or Moor-Town
MURTON, or Moor-Town, a township, in the parish of Lamplugh, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale
ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland,
8 miles (E. by N.) from Whitehaven; containing 156 inhabitants. The manufacture of spades, shovels, &c., is
carried on; and there are several lime-works.
Murton, or Moor-Town
MURTON, or Moor-Town, a township, in the parish and union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle
ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (N.
W.) from North Shields; containing 438 inhabitants,
who are chiefly employed in the coal-mines with which
the district abounds. It comprises, exclusively of a
moor, 443 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the
remainder grass-land: there are excellent quarries of
freestone. The villages of New York and Philadelphia
are in the township. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £135. Here is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. A stone coffin, inclosing a perfect skeleton,
was found in one of the quarries, in 1790.
MURTON, a township, in the parish of Bongate,
or St. Michael, Appleby, East ward and union,
county of Westmorland, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Appleby; containing 172 inhabitants. This township comprises 5766 acres, whereof 3500 are common, moorland,
or waste; it has some veins of lead-ore, which are
worked. The impropriate tithes have been commuted
for £27, payable to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
MURTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Osbaldwick, union of York, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding
of York, 3 miles (E. by N.) from York; containing
161 inhabitants. The township is on the road from
York to Garrowby, and comprises by computation 1060
acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture; the surface is level, and the soil various. The chapel, which is
ancient, was built by some individual connected with
the place; and lands in the parish were charged by the
founder with its repairs, and a small payment to a
clergyman to perform the duty; but the lands were so
ill defined as to lead to repeated disputes and litigation,
and there appears at present no remedy except carrying
the case into a court of law. The duty was performed
by the incumbent of Osbaldwick, until 1834; a violent
storm in that year damaged the roof of the edifice, and
rendered it unfit for service, and the person then in possession of the lands supposed to be chargeable with its
repairs, resisting the claim, it has since remained in a
state of dilapidation.
MURTON, EAST, a township, in the parish of Dalton-le-Dale, union of Easington, N. division of
Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 8½
miles (E. N. E.) from Durham; containing 521 inhabitants. The manor and vill were the property of the
family of Lumley from an early date to the reign of
Elizabeth; the ancient tenure is uniformly described to
be by homage and fealty, in free and common socage.
The monks of Durham, also, at a remote period received
a grant of a small portion of land here from Cendune,
son of Walter de Morton. The South Hetton Company
opened a valuable mine of coal in the township, in 1843,
upon a scale unprecedented in the trade: during the
progress of sinking through a quicksand, engine power
to the extent of 1500 horses was in operation, and the
principal seam of coal was found at a depth of 1476 feet
from the surface. The Durham and Sunderland railway
passes through the township.
Musbury (St. Michael)
MUSBURY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Axminster, Honiton and S. divisions
of Devon, 3 miles (S. W.) from Axminster; containing
495 inhabitants. This place was the residence of the
Drake family, from the time of Henry VII., for several
generations. The parish comprises 2149 acres, of which
136 are common or waste land. A fair is held at Michaelmas. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £19. 11. 8., and in the gift of W. Payne, Esq.:
the tithes have been commuted for £435. The church
is a very ancient structure, with a south aisle added
towards the close of the fifteenth century, by the Drake
family, to whom it contains some monuments. Ash
House, now occupied as a farmhouse, derives interest
from having been the birthplace, in 1650, of the renowned Duke of Marlborough, whose mother was then
on a visit to her father, Sir John Drake. Within the
parish is a fortress of elliptical form, called Musbury
Castle, having a double intrenchment inclosing an area
of 20 acres.
MUSBURY, an ecclesiastical district, in the parishes
of Bury and Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher
division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of
Lancashire, 3 miles (S. W.) from Haslingden; containing 3000 inhabitants, of whom about one-half are in
the township of Musbury. From the act of resumption
of the crown possessions, passed in the 1st of Henry
VII., it appears that a patent office, then existing, of
"park-keeper of Musbury," was held by Laurens Maderer, and that his rights and privileges were secured by
the act, as were those of various other official persons
connected with the county. The ecclesiastical district
was constituted in Sept. 1844, under the provisions of
the act of 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; its extent is
about three miles by two miles, the township of Musbury forming more than half of it. The surface is very
uneven; the land chiefly pasture and meadow, being
rather unsuitable for growing corn; and the scenery highly
picturesque: among the hills and dales flow four streams,
sufficiently large to work a number of small manufactories. The Tor, a beautifully-formed hill standing apart
from the rest, is 1100 feet above the level of the sea,
and is seen at a considerable distance. A coal-mine is
in operation; and excellent freestone is abundant, of
which quarries have been opened in different places. The
Ogden is the most considerable river within the district;
the Irwell is the boundary on the north-east. The
East Lancashire railway passes through. The living is
a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and
the Bishop of Manchester, alternately. W. Turner,
Esq., a resident in the district, is about to erect a church
at his own cost. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have places of worship.
MUSCLIFFE, a tything, in the parish of Holdenhurst, union of Christchurch, liberty of Westover,
Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 68 inhabitants.
MUSCOATES, a township, in the parish of Kirkdale, union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N.
riding of York, 5¼ miles (E. S. E.) from the town of
Helmsley; containing 71 inhabitants. The township
is on the Rical rivulet, and comprises by computation
800 acres: the river Rye passes on the south.
MUSCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Norton,
union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division
of the county of Northampton, 4¾ miles (E. by N.)
from Daventry; containing 40 inhabitants.
MUSDEN GRANGE, an extra-parochial liberty, in
the union of Uttoxeter, S. division of the hundred of
Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford;
containing 21 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 610 acres, of which 520 are grass-land, 70 arable,
and 20 wood. The church and poor's rates, and assessed
taxes, are paid to the parish of Croxden, between eight
and nine miles distant.
Musgrave, Great (St. Theobald)
MUSGRAVE, GREAT (St. Theobald), a parish,
in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2
miles (W. S. W.) from Brough; containing 167 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4080 acres, of which
2400 are common or waste; it is bounded on the southeast by the river Belo, and on the south-west by the
Eden, which is crossed by a bridge of two arches, erected
in 1826. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £16. 1. 11½.; net income, £149;
patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The Rev. Septimus Collinson, D.D., in 1827 left £1500 three per cent. consols.
for the endowment of a free school, which is conducted
on the national plan.
MUSGRAVE, LITTLE, a township, in the parish
of Crosby-Garret, East ward and union, county of
Westmorland, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Brough; containing 72 inhabitants. The manor, which is co-extensive with the township, is the property of the ancient
family of Musgrave.
Muskham, North (St. Wilfrid)
MUSKHAM, NORTH (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in
the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake
of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (N.) from Newark; containing, with the
township of Bathley, 825 inhabitants. This parish is
bounded on the east by the river Trent, across which
is a ferry to Holme, and comprises by measurement
2900 acres of land, inclosed in 1771; the soil is fertile.
The village is pleasantly situated on the great north
road. The living is a discharged vicarage, formerly in
medieties, the first mediety valued in the king's books
at £5. 6. 8., and the second valued at £8. 19. 7.; net
income, £173; impropriators, the Duke of Newcastle
and others. The tithes were commuted for land under
the act of inclosure; the vicarial glebe comprises 91
acres. The church is a handsome structure on the bank
of the Trent. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free grammar school was founded in 1727,
by Mrs. Woolhouse and the Disney family, who endowed it with land producing upwards of £50 per
annum; it had some exhibitions to Pembroke College,
Cambridge, founded by a Mr. Smith, but now lost.
Muskham, South (St. Wilfrid)
MUSKHAM, SOUTH (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in
the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake
of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¼ miles (N.) from Newark; containing 262 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east and south
by the river Trent, which is crossed by a bridge leading
towards Newark; it comprises 2467a. 2r., and the soil
is fertile. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £4; patron, the Prebendary of
South Muskham in the Collegiate Church of Southwell.
The great tithes have been commuted for £677. 4. 3.,
and the vicarial for £139. 10.; the rectorial glebe comprises 141 acres, and the vicarial three. The church is
a neat structure in the early English style.
Muston (St. John the Baptist)
MUSTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union of Grantham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5½ miles (W. by N.)
from Grantham; containing 351 inhabitants. The
Grantham canal passes through the parish. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 13. 1½.,
and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £400.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Muston (All Saints)
MUSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Scarborough, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of
York, 1 mile (N.) from Hunmanby; containing 417
inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurment
2225 acres, of which more than two-thirds are arable,
and the remainder meadow and pasture, with a very
small portion of woodland: the substratum contains
stone which is quarried for the roads, and also for
building. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £6. 10.; patron and impropriator,
B. O. Mitford, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £254. 17. 6., and the incumbent's for
£126. 18. 9.; the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church
is a small edifice. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive Methodists.
Mutford (St. Andrew)
MUTFORD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Mutford and Lothingland,
E. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Beccles;
containing 415 inhabitants. This parish, which gives
name to the half-hundred of Mutford, comprises by
estimation 1500 acres: the soil is good, and well cultivated; the prevailing scenery is pleasing. The living
is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectories of
Barnby and Wheatacre All Saints, and valued in the
king's books at £7. 17. 1.: the great tithes of Mutford
have been commuted for £245, and the small for £110;
there is a vicarial glebe of 29 acres. The church is a
handsome structure, chiefly in the decorated English
style, with a circular tower surmounted by an octangular
turret, and contains some highly-enriched Norman details, among which is a deeply-moulded arch. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans.