MYERSCOUGH, a township, in the parish of Lancaster, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S.) from
Garstang; containing 504 inhabitants. This is one of
the forest townships in the parish, the manor of which
has been held of the duchy of Lancaster by the Brockholes family, whose ancestor resided here in the beginning of the 17th century. In the time of Leland, who
notices the red-deer here, "Merscow Park" belonged to
Lord Derby. Myerscough Hall is now the residence
of William Humber, Esq. The township comprises
2500 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture land,
the surface is generally level, the soil strong, with a
marl substratum. The river Brock, and the Lancaster
and Preston canal and Lancaster and Preston railway, pass through. Two fairs have lately been established. The township has the advantage of the free
school at Billsborough.
Mylor (St. Melor)
MYLOR (St. Melor), a parish, in the union of
Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W.
division of Cornwall, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Penryn;
containing 2569 inhabitants. This is a peninsula,
bounded on the east, south, and west by Falmouth
harbour; and a creek nearly intersects the parish from
south-east to north-west. At the head of the creek is
the village of Mylor-Bridge, and on the west the populous sea-port of Flushing, which has much increased in
size since the improvements made in the early part of
the last century, by Samuel Trefusis, Esq. The parish
comprises 3463 acres, of which 2663a. 1r. 35p. are
arable, and the remainder meadow, pasture, and woodland; the scenery is diversified, and from different parts
are fine views. A large iron-foundry is carried on, for
the manufacture of boilers for steam-vessels, and various other articles; and beneath the surface of the water
and the mud of the estuary of Carnon, are copper streamworks, which are tolerably productive. At Flushing is
a ferry to Falmouth; and on the north-east, at Restronget ferry, passengers and horses may be conveyed
to Feock, on the road to Truro. The living is a vicarage with that of Mabe united, in the patronage of the
Bishop of Exeter, valued in the king's books at £16. 15.;
impropriators, Lord Saye and Sele, and Lord Clinton.
The great tithes have been commuted for £350, and the
vicarial for £215; the glebe comprises 12 acres, with a
house. The church, romantically situated on the margin of Mylor creek, has some Norman details, including
a doorway on the north side exquisitely enriched with
sculpture: the tower is detached and mantled with ivy.
An episcopal chapel has been built at Flushing. There
are places of worship for Baptists, Bryanites, Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians.
MYNYDDMAEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, union of Newport, Lower division of
the hundred of Wentlloog, county of Monmouth;
containing 856 inhabitants.
Mynyddyslwyn (St. Tyder)
MYNYDDYSLWYN (St. Tyder), a parish, in the
union of Newport, Lower division of the hundred of
Wentlloog, county of Monmouth, 8 miles (S. W.)
from Pont-y-Pool, and 9¼ (N. W. by W.) from Newport; containing, with the hamlets of Clawrplwyf, Mynyddmaen, and Penmaen, 5385 inhabitants. The parish
comprises by measurement 13,983 acres, of which 2001
are common or waste; the soil is various, the surface
boldly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by
the rivers Sirhowy and Ebbw. Iron-works of considerable extent are in operation; there are extensive coalmines, and also some quarries of sandstone, large masses
of which are raised for the construction of docks or for
heavy masonry. The produce is conveyed by canal
and by tramroads to Newport, whence it is shipped.
The living is a perpetual curacy; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Llandaff; net income, £150.
The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £580,
and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The church is a
spacious and handsome structure, with a tower, and
contains 1000 sittings. At Penmaen is a separate incumbency. There are places of worship for Baptists,
Independents, Welsh Methodists, and Wesleyans. Some
vestiges remain of a religious house; and near the
church is a large tumulus on an eminence, supposed to
have been a signal station.
Mythe, with Mythe-Hook
MYTHE, with Mythe-Hook, a township, in the
parish, borough, and Lower division of the hundred,
of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 83 inhabitants. It is on the road from
Tewkesbury to Worcester, north of the former town;
the river Severn flows on the west, and on the east runs
the Avon, which shortly after joins the Severn.
MYTHE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred
of Sparkenhoe, union of Atherstone, S. division
of the county of Leicester; containing 42 inhabitants,
and comprising 170 acres of land.
Mytholm, or Mitholm
MYTHOLM, or Mitholm, a small hamlet, in the
township of Stansfield, parish of Halifax, union of
Todmorden, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York.
This place is situated in the beautiful vale of Todmorden, in a mountainous district abounding with romantic
scenery. A district church, named St. James' church,
Hebden-Bridge (the site being the nearest that could be
obtained so as to accommodate the village of HebdenBridge), was erected here in 1835, at an expense of £2700,
by the Parliamentary Commissioners; the ground was
given by the Rev. James Armytage Rhodes, who also
presented the stone for the building from his quarries in
the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy, in
the patronage of the Vicar of Halifax; income, £150.
MYTHOLMROYD, an ecclesiastical parish, in the
parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding
of York, 6 miles (W.) from Halifax; containing 3377
inhabitants. This parish was constituted in March,
1846, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37. Its extent is about four square miles;
it is of very hilly surface, with well-wooded valleys, and
altogether of romantic aspect. The river Calder, the
road from Manchester to Leeds, and the Manchester
and Leeds railway, run through the middle of the
parish; and the Calder and Hebble canal also passes
through it. There are some quarries of hard gritstone
in operation. The village, which lies in the vale of the
Calder, extends into several townships, and, with the
neighbourhood, contains many factories for spinning
cotton and worsted yarn, and for the manufacture of
calicoes and fustians. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon,
alternately; income, £150. The church, the erection of
which was commenced in the summer of 1846, cost,
with the purchase of the site, about £2400. The Baptists and Methodists have each a place of worship. A
school-house was built in 1841, by W. Sutcliffe, Esq.,
of Bath, at an expense of £450; it is a neat building,
in the later English style.
Myton-upon-Swale (St. Mary)
MYTON-upon-Swale (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N.
riding of York, 3¾ miles (E.) from Boroughbridge;
containing 188 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700
acres, of remarkably rich arable and grazing land: the
village is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the
Swale and Ure. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £6; net income, £150;
patron, the Archbishop of York; impropriator, R. J.
Thompson, Esq. A battle was fought here in 1319, between the Scots and about 10,000 undisciplined Yorkshiremen headed by Melton, Archbishop of York,
amongst whom was a great number of priests; the
latter were defeated.