Newchurch - Newington

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

389-393

Citation Show another format:

'Newchurch - Newington', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 389-393. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51172 Date accessed: 30 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Newchurch, Cheshire.—See Whitegate.

NEWCHURCH, Cheshire.—See Whitegate.

Newchurch, (St. Peter and St. Paul)

NEWCHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and liberty of Romney-Marsh, locally in the hundred of Newchurch, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 5 miles (N.) from New Romney; containing 282 inhabitants. It comprises 3122 acres: the Royal Military canal passes within a mile and a half, and on the west runs the road from Romney to Ashford. The living includes a rectory and a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the rectory valued in the king's books at £8. 4. 2., and the vicarage at £19. 16. 0½.: the tithes have been commuted for £632, and the glebe consists of 3½ acres, with a house. The church is a spacious and handsome structure.

Newchurch

NEWCHURCH, a parish, in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Leigh, and 6 (N. by E.) from Warrington; containing 2516 inhabitants. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory. It comprises 6960 acres, of which the surface is undulated, and the soil partly clay and partly moss. The Bolton, Leigh, and Kenyon railway here joins the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The living is in the patronage of the Earl of Derby; but the next presentation will be exercised by the present Rector of Winwick, should a vacancy occur during his incumbency: there are above 30 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The tithes of Culcheth have been commuted for a rent-charge of £415, of which £345 are payable to an impropriator, and £70 to the rector of Newchurch; and those of Kenyon have been commuted for £160, the whole payable to the rector. The church is a plain brick building, with a tower at the west end. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel has an endowment of £70 per annum. Dr. Wilson, the eminent Bishop of Sodor and Man, was in early life curate of Newchurch, then a chapelry.

Newchurch

NEWCHURCH, a parish, in the division and union of Chepstow, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Chepstow; containing 688 inhabitants, of whom 530 are in the East, and 158 in the West, division. This parish, which is intersected by the new road from Chepstow to Usk, comprises by computation 5434 acres; the surface is a good deal undulated, the soil sandy and loamy, resting on limestone, and the scenery diversified, embracing from the higher grounds exceedingly fine views. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort, with a net income of £176: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £172, and the vicarial for £65; the glebe consists of 52½ acres, with a good parsonage-house, built in 1832. The church is an ancient edifice, situated in West Newchurch; and at Devauden is a neat district chapel for East Newchurch, the living of which is a perpetual curacy with a small endowment, in the patronage of the Vicar. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. About a mile from the church are the remains of a Druids' altar, and at Wentwood are those of Striguel Castle, erected by Strongbow. In 1840, large copper coins of Antoninus, Lucretia, and others, were discovered at Devauden.

Newchurch (All Saints)

NEWCHURCH (All Saints), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Newport; containing, with the towns of Ryde and Ventnor (which see), 8370 inhabitants. The parish is the most extensive in the isle, and reaches from Ryde in the northeast to Ventnor in the south. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 8.; net income, £500; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a venerable cruciform structure, situated on rising ground, and forms a conspicuous feature in the landscape. There are two incumbencies at Ryde, and a third at Ventnor.

Newchurch-in-Pendle-Forest

NEWCHURCH-in-Pendle-Forest, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Burnley; comprising the four townships of Barley with Whitley, Goldshaw, Old Laund Booth, and Roughlee, and containing 2697 inhabitants. This division of the parish of Whalley is of an oblong shape, measuring six miles in length, from Admergill on the north, to Old Laund Booth on the south; and three miles in breadth, from Pendle Hill on the west, to the Colne river on the east. Pendle water, which is formed of the two branches of Ogden and Barley, both springing from Pendle Hill, flows eastward, and falls into the Wicoller and Colne waters below Barrowford; the conjoint streams form the river Colne, the eastern boundary of the chapelry, and at Filly-Close the Colne unites with the river Calder. The forest of Pendle, in and surrounding the chapelry, took its name from the hill so called, and was one of the four divisions of the great forest of Blackburnshire: it covers an extent of not less than 25 miles, or 15,000 acres. As early as 1311 it was divided into eleven places of pasture for cows, of which the principal names, as they appear in a commission of Henry VII., are still preserved. The whole forest, formerly named Penhill vaccary, and sometimes the Chase of Penhill, was perambulated in person by the first Henry de Lacy; and about 1824, this ancient ceremony was repeated. In the 11th of Edward II., when Richard de Merclesden was master-forester of Blackburnshire, William de Tatham was warden or keeper of Pendle: this officer is now called the "Greave of the Forest," holding his appointment from the landowners; he is also the head constable of the district.

The substratum of the chapelry abounds with coal, of which a mine is in operation; and there are quarries of sandstone used for building. The population is chiefly employed in the hand-loom weaving of calico and mousselines-de-laine, and three cotton-mills and a worsted-mill together afford employment to about 300 persons. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes, at the nearest point, within a mile. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £135; patrons, the Trustees of Hulme's charity; impropriators, the landowners. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected by the inhabitants of the four townships already named, and was consecrated on the 1st of October, 1544: the body of the edifice was rebuilt about fifty years ago; but the original tower, inscribed with the date 1712, indicating that it was then heightened, still remains. At Fence, in Old Laund Booth, is a church erected in 1837, forming a separate incumbency. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; an unendowed parochial school united with the National Society; and a second national school. In the chapelyard anciently stood a low plain cross; and near the chapel was found, a few years since, a stone mallet of British construction, having a perforation for the hand, the only relic of British art, in stone, ever discovered in the chapelry.

Newchurch-in-Rossendale-Forest

NEWCHURCH-in-Rossendale-Forest, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Haslingden; containing, with the hamlets of Deadwin-Clough, Tunstead, and Wolfenden, and part of the consolidated chapelry of Bacup, 11,668 inhabitants. The name of Rossendale is probably formed from the British word Rhos, expressive of the dusky colour of the heath grass. In the 4th of Edward II. the Forest or Chase was divided into eleven vaccaries, or cow-pastures, of which the herbage was valued at 10s. for each: in the reign of Henry VII. the number of vaccaries, or booths, had increased to nineteen, of which the herbage was estimated at advanced rents, varying from 13s. to £13. Like the vaccaries of Pendle, these booths were the foundations of townships; the township of "Dedquene-Cloghe," now Deadwin-Clough, contains the village of Newchurch. The length of the chapelry is five miles, and its breadth three; it comprises 5726 acres, and consists of three valleys, with their corresponding elevations. Although the hills are high, and naturally sterile, modern improvements, cherished by manufacturing prosperity, have carried cultivation to their summits; the arable land is about a fifth of the whole. The chapelry is watered on the south by the Irwell, which, rising at the foot of Dirplay Hill, in Cliviger, descends to Bacup by Broadclough, and passing Wolfenden runs by Tottington to Bury. At the head of Wolfenden rises Whitewell brook, which empties itself into the Irwell below the village of Newchurch. Coal-mines, and quarries of freestone, slate, &c., abound in the chapelry; and cotton and woollen goods are manufactured to a considerable extent, in their various branches. A fair for cattle is held on April 29th, and one for clothing and pedlery on the first Monday after the 24th of June. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £231; patron, the Vicar of Whalley. The chapel was originally built in 1512, and was the first place of worship erected in Rossendale Forest; in 1825 it was rebuilt, partly at the cost of the parishioners and partly by a government grant. It is in the pointed style of architecture, with lancet windows, and a handsome tower; the interior, which is light and substantial, consists of a nave, aisles, and choir. There are churches at Lumb and Tunstead; and the Wesleyans, Baptists, Unitarians, and other dissenters, have places of worship. A free grammar school was founded in 1701 by John Kershaw, who endowed it with lands situated in Heald, in Bacup; and there are large national schools.

Newdigate (St. Peter)

NEWDIGATE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Dorking, partly in the First division of the hundred of Reigate, but chiefly in the Second division of the hundred of Copthorne and Effingham, E. and W. divisions of Surrey, 5¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Dorking; containing 552 inhabitants. The ancient family of Newdegate, or Newdigate, had lands here as early as the reign of John, and one of its members, William de Newdegate, was sheriff of the county in 1370: the family continued to hold the property until the beginning of the 17th century. The parish comprises 4027 acres, one-fifth meadow, one-fifth wood, and the remainder arable; it is situated near the border of Sussex, and east of the Dorking and Horsham road. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 18. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £580, and the glebe comprises 4 acres. The church is a small irregular building, with a belfry of unique construction. A school is endowed with land producing £20 per annum: there is a small exhibition for four years to Trinity College, Cambridge.

Newenden Liberty (St. Peter)

NEWENDEN LIBERTY (St. Peter), a parish, partly in the hundred of Selbrittenden, and partly exempt from any hundred, in the union of Tenterden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tenterden; containing 164 inhabitants. This place, now an inconsiderable village, was formerly a large city and sea-port, and is said to have contained 52 taverns: the Roman station Anderidæ has by some been fixed near the spot, where large remains of earthworks, many Roman coins, foundations, and other antiquities have been from time to time discovered. The parish consists of 1044 acres. The river Rother, which is here crossed by a modern brick bridge of three arches, on the high road from Kent to Sussex, is navigable for barges, by which coal, corn, and timber are conveyed from Rye. A fair, principally for pedlery, is held on July 1st. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises 2½ acres. A few years since, a vessel, supposed to be Roman, was discovered in one of the streams tributary to the Rother, imbedded a considerable depth in the mud; it was dug out, and, with the urns, tools, &c., taken for exhibition to London, where it excited much curiosity.

Newent (Virgin Mary)

NEWENT (Virgin Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Botloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing, with the tythings of Boulsdon with Killcot, Compton, Cugley, and Malswick, 3099 inhabitants, of whom 1454 are in the town, 8½ miles (N. W.) from Gloucester, and 112 (W. N. W.) from London. The name, according to Leland, was derived from a "new inn" erected for the accommodation of travellers, when the communication to Wales was first opened this way; other houses were successively built, until the place became a town: the site of the old inn is now called the Boothall. A Benedictine priory, a cell to the abbey of Cormeille, in Normandy, was founded here soon after the Conquest; and on the suppression of alien priories it was given to the college of Fotheringhay. The town, which was formerly more extensive and populous than at present, is situated westward of the river Severn, in the Forest of Dean, and is irregularly built. Near it are some mineral springs, which possess the same qualities as the Cheltenham water. The Hereford and Gloucester canal passes through the parish; and at the end of the town, on the road to Ledbury, a very commodious wharf has been constructed. The market is on Friday; fairs are held on the Wednesday before Easter, the Wednesday before Whitsuntide, and Aug. 12th, and a statute-fair on the Friday after September 8th. The powers of the county debt-court of Newent, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Newent. The parish comprises 8019a. 3r. 6p., of which 6843 acres are arable and pasture, 965 woodland, and the remainder the site of the town and roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £23, and in the patronage of Miss Foley: the tithes have been commuted for £1541. 15., and the glebe comprises one acre. The church is a spacious fabric, the work of different periods; over the porch is a tower with a lofty spire, built in 1679, as was also the roof of the nave: the old church fell down in 1673. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The poor-law union comprises 18 parishes or places, 14 of which are in the county of Gloucester, and 2 in each of the counties of Hereford and Worcester, containing altogether a population of 11,687.

Newfield

NEWFIELD, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (N.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 345 inhabitants. It comprises about 320 acres of land. A coal-field has been opened, the produce of which is carried to Stockton and Hartlepool for shipment, by the West Durham railway, which runs through part of the township. The tithes have been commuted for £1. 6. 8. payable to an impropriator, and £23. 17. 8. to the Bishop of Durham.

New-Forest

NEW-FOREST, a township, in the parish of KirkbyRavensworth, union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 11 miles (W. N. W.) from Richmond; containing 73 inhabitants. The township includes the hamlets of Helwith, Hallgate, and Casey-Green; and comprises 2558 acres, of which 2064 are common, moor, or waste. Divine service is performed in a schoolroom on the first Sunday in every month, by the incumbent of Kirkby-Ravensworth.

New-Grounds.—See Godshill-Wood.

NEW-GROUNDS.—See Godshill-Wood.

Newhall

NEWHALL, a township, chiefly in the parish of Acton, and partly in that of Audlem, union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Nantwich; containing 936 inhabitants. This township borders on the parish of Wrenbury, and is of considerable extent, comprising 3899 acres, partly a clayey and partly a sandy soil, and almost all dairy land; the cheeses made here are particularly good, and realise high prices. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £332. 6. 3., and the small tithes for £153, of which £82 are payable to the vicar of Acton, and £71 to the vicar of Audlem.

Newhall

NEWHALL, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Northwich; containing 26 inhabitants. It comprises 234 acres, the soil of which is clay. The tithes have been commuted for £14.

Newhall, with Stanton, in the county of Derby.—See Stanton, and Stapenhill.

NEWHALL, with Stanton, in the county of Derby. —See Stanton, and Stapenhill.

Newham

NEWHAM, a township, in the parish of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward and of Northumberland, 7 miles (S. E.) from the town of Belford; containing 359 inhabitants. It lies about four miles and a half south-by-west from Bambrough, and is situated on a small stream which flows eastward to the sea. Newham-New-Houses and Newham-Barns are two farms about a mile north of the village; Henhill is another about the same distance to the west; and Newsteads, a fourth farm, is a mile and a half to the south-west. The township is the property of the Duke of Northumberland.

Newham

NEWHAM, a township in the parish of Whalton, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11¼ miles (N. W.) from Newcastleupon-Tyne; containing 65 inhabitants. This place was once a manor in the barony of Whalton, and among the various families that have held property here, are those of Ogle, Newham, Scrope, Heron, Dacre, Horsley, Thompson, and Beresford. The township comprises 1206 acres of land, and consists of the small hamlets of Newham-Edge (now the property, by marriage, of Lord Decies), East, West, and Middle Newham, and Huntlaw: it lies on the south-west side of the parish, and has the Ponteland turnpike-road running through it. The tithes have been commuted for £165.

Newhaven (St. Michael)

NEWHAVEN (St. Michael), a parish and seaport, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Holmstrow, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 7 miles (S.) from Lewes, 9 (E. S. E.) from Brighton, and 58 (S.) from London; containing 955 inhabitants. The ancient name of this place was Meeching; its present appellation was probably given to it about 1713. The town is situated about half a mile from the sea, near the mouth of the river Ouse, over which, about the year 1790, a drawbridge was erected leading towards Seaford, in lieu of a ferry. The streets are neat and clean, the houses respectable, and many of them of modern erection; the neighbourhood abounds with interesting scenery, and the cliffs which guard the coast, about 200 feet high, are of strikingly picturesque appearance. In 1713, an act of parliament was obtained empowering commissioners to repair the piers, and to cleanse and enlarge the harbour of Newhaven; and in 1847, an act was passed for more effectually maintaining the harbour, and the navigation of the river Ouse between Newhaven and Lewes. In the same year, a railway was completed to Lewes in connexion with the Brighton and Southcoast lines. Newhaven is one of the best tide-harbours between the Downs and the Isle of Wight, and the bay forms one of the finest roadsteads on the southern coast. In the early part of the last century the inhabitants were largely engaged in trade, which afterwards declined owing to the decay of the old wooden piers that protected the harbour; but from its improvement, and its having been constituted, under a licence from the lords of the treasury, a bonding port for all kinds of timber, as it was previously for wine and spirits, the commercial interests of the inhabitants have been much advanced. The importation of coal is extensive; there is a considerable importation of timber, wine, spirits, grain, cheese, and butter, from foreign ports, and English oak is shipped for the dockyards: the coastingtrade in flour, butter, and corn, is also of importance. Commodious bonding warehouses have been constructed on the quay, on a principle similar to that adopted at the West India docks. Ship-building is carried on, and there are two breweries. A fair for pedlery is held on October 10th.

The parish comprises 999a. 3r. 14p., of which about 900 acres are arable, pasture, and meadow land of good quality. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £205, and £89 are paid to an impropriator; there is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 6 acres. The church has some traces of Norman architecture, and a tower at the east end, with a small semicircular recess for the chancel beyond it; the nave, which is divided into two aisles by small octagonal pillars, has been modernised. On the northern side of the churchyard is an obelisk, erected to commemorate the wreck of the Brazen sloop of war on the Ave rocks, near the town, during a violent storm on the morning of Jan. 26th, 1800, when Captain Hanson and 95 men were drowned. A national school has an endowment of £500, assigned by Edward Dean, Esq., in 1826. The union of Newhaven comprises 16 parishes or places, containing a population of 3789. On Castle Hill, about a mile from the town, are the remains of a military encampment; the substrata of the hill contain some curious fossils and scarce minerals, among which are hydrate and subsulphate of alumine.

Newholm, with Dunsley

NEWHOLM, with Dunsley, a township, in the parish and union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 2¼ miles (W.) from Whitby; containing 383 inhabitants. The township is situated on the shore of Dunsley bay, and comprises by computation 2250 acres of land. The village of Newholm is a short distance north of the road from Whitby to Egton, and about a mile south-south-east of the hamlet of Dunsley. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. —See Dunsley.

Newick (St. Mary)

NEWICK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chailey, hundred of Barcomb, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 4¾ miles (W.) from Uckfield; containing 914 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road between Cuckfield and Maresfield, and bounded on the east by the river Ouse; the surface is diversified with hill and dale, and the views from the high grounds are interesting and extensive. Ironstone and sandstone are found in abundance. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 17. 8½., and in the gift of the Rev. T. B. Powell: the tithes have been commuted for £390, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower; a north aisle was added in 1834. G. V. Vernon and his wife in 1771 founded, and endowed with £50 a year, a school now conducted on the national plan.

Newington (St. Mary)

NEWINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 3½ miles (W.) from Milton; containing 734 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2103 acres, whereof 319 are in wood. The village, which had formerly a market, stands near the ancient Watlingstreet, and is thought to occupy the site of a town inhabited by the Britons and by the Romans. In a field called Crock-field, an abundance of Roman urns and other vessels has been found, which has induced an opinion that this was only the site of a Roman pottery, but eminent antiquaries have here fixed the station Durolevum, and supposed this field to have been a burial-place for the Romans stationed at the adjacent military works, numerous vestiges of which may still be traced, such as Julius Cæsar's Hill, Standard Hill, Key-street, anciently Caii Stratum, &c. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14; net income, £250; patrons and impropriators, the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church is a handsome structure, principally early English, with some windows in the decorated style; the tower is constructed of square flints, and embattled. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Newington

NEWINGTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Misson, union of Doncaster, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham; containing 50 inhabitants.

Newington (St. Giles)

NEWINGTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 5 miles (N.) from the town of Wallingford; containing, with the chapelry of Britwell-Prior, the liberty of Berrick-Prior, and the tythings of Brockhampton and Great Holcomb, 471 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2047a. 2r. 29p., of which about 30 acres are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's books at £18. 13. 4.; net income, £360; the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1810. The church has a spire, and on the south side of the nave is a Norman doorway with enriched mouldings. Archbishops Sheldon, Potter, and Cornwallis, were rectors of the parish.

Newington (St. Mary), or Newington-Butts

NEWINGTON (St. Mary), or Newington-Butts, a parish, in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 1¾ mile (S.) from London; containing 54,606 inhabitants. This parish obtained the adjunct by which it is distinguished from other parishes of the name of Newington, from the shooting butts anciently erected here. By the addition of numerous houses in various parts, it has become one of the most populous districts in the suburbs of the metropolis. A few of the older buildings still preserve vestiges of their original character; but by far the greater part of the parish consists of widely-extended ranges of modern appearance. The roads leading through the village from the metropolis to Camberwell and to Clapham, and the streets which diverge from them, are partially paved, and well lighted with gas; and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water from the Lambeth and South London water-works. Among the more recent erections which have contributed to the extension of the village, are the handsome ranges of houses on the north and east sides of Kennington Common, Doddington-grove, Surrey-square, and several lines of houses on the Kent-road, together with those in the vicinity of Trinity-square. A manufactory for oil of vitriol, on the east side of Kennington Common, occupies three acres of ground; and between that and the Kent-road are, a smelting-house for lead and antimony, a tannary, a manufactory for glue, another for tobacco-pipes, with manufactories for floorcloth and for carriages. The sessions-house, in which the quarter-sessions for the county of Surrey are held, is situated in that part of the parish which adjoins the borough of Southwark; and close to it is the common gaol, a spacious building, containing ten wards for the classification of prisoners, with airing-yards, &c., and affording room for the reception of 156 prisoners in separate cells.

The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £1300; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is a modern edifice of brick, with a small cupola and campanile turret, surmounted by a dome; the interior is well arranged, and there are several handsome mural tablets. The churchyard, which is spacious, contains numerous ancient tombs and some interesting monuments. Two district churches were erected in the parish, in 1824 and 1825, by aid of the Parliamentary Commissioners, who granted one moiety of the expense, and lent the other for eight years without interest, to be repaid by a rate on the inhabitants. The church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, in Trinity-square, is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style, with a portico of six fluted Corinthian columns, and a square tower ornamented with pillars of the Doric order, and surmounted by a campanile turret surrounded with pillars of the Corinthian order: the cost of its erection was £13,316. The other church, dedicated to St. Peter, is in the hamlet of Walworth, which see. The livings are perpetual curacies, in the patronage of the Rector. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and the followers of Joanna Southcott. The southern quadrangle of the Fishmongers' almshouses, consisting of 20 additional tenements founded in 1721 by James Hulbert, whose statue is placed on a pedestal in the centre of the area, is within the parish; the older portion of the almshouses, erected by the Fishmongers' Company about a century before, in the parish of St. George the Martyr, consists of an outer and an inner quadrangle, comprising 23 tenements, of two rooms each. There are also some almshouses in Cross-street, connected with the Drapers' Company. Under the PoorLaw Amendment act, the parish has a board of guardians of its own. Of the hospital of Our Lady and St. Katherine, which existed here till the middle of the sixteenth century, no vestiges remain.