NEWTON-RIGNY, a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3 miles
(W. N. W.) from Penrith; containing, with the township of Catterlin, 310 inhabitants, of whom 163 are in
the township of Newton-Rigny. The parish comprises
2414a. 29p., of which 2347 acres are arable, and the
remainder roads and waste; the soil is a strong clay,
the surface flat, and the river Petterel flows through the
grounds. The living is a vicarage; net income, £80;
patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle.
Newton-Solney (St. Mary)
NEWTON-SOLNEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Burton, hundred of Repton and Gresley,
S. division of the county of Derby, 2¼ miles (N. E.)
from Burton; containing 311 inhabitants. The manor
was held at an early period, under the earls of Chester,
by the ancient equestrian family of Solney, whose coheiress married into the Longford family, of whom the
property was purchased by the Leighs, about the reign
of Henry VIII. The heiress of the Leighs brought it to
the Everys; and about 1795 Abraham Hoskins, Esq.,
purchased the principal estate. The parish is bounded
on the west by the river Trent, and comprises 1401 acres,
of rich strong land: on the Earl of Chesterfield's property are 120 acres of wood and plantations. The village
is pleasant and well built; and there are several good
mansions in the parish. On a commanding eminence is
a large castellated building, called Hoskins' Folly. The
living is a donative; net income, £20; patron and impropriator, Sir Henry Every, Bart. The church consists
of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a low tower and
Newton, South (St. Andrew)
NEWTON, SOUTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Wilton, hundred of Branch and Dole, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles
(N. W.) from Salisbury; containing 692 inhabitants.
It is on the road from Bath to Salisbury, and comprises
3370a. 1r. 27p. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £12. 18. 4.; income, £221,
with a house; patron and impropriator, the Earl of
Pembroke. The church has been repewed.
NEWTON STACEY, a tything, in the parish and
hundred of Barton-Stacey, union of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton,
6 miles (S. W. by S.) from the town of Whitchurch;
containing 85 inhabitants.
NEWTON-TONEY, a parish, in the union and hundred of Amesbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S.
divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Amesbury;
containing 324 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the
road from Salisbury to Malmesbury, comprises by measurement 2333 acres. The surface is finely varied, and
the lower grounds are intersected by a stream, which
for some months in the year waters them. The village
is situated on the eastern part of Salisbury Plain, bordering upon Hampshire; and the scenery is enlivened
by the grounds of Wilbury House, a handsome mansion,
the seat of Sir Alexander Malet, Bart., proprietor of
nearly all the land in the parish. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £19. 13. 9., and in the gift
of Queen's College, Cambridge: the tithes have been
commuted for £433, and the glebe comprises nearly 42
acres. The church has been rebuilt on nearly the same
site: the old church was a very ancient structure of
flints, with a wood tower; the new edifice was consecrated in Oct. 1844, and is of picturesque and chaste
design. Some barrows were opened in 1810, and found
to contain amber beads and ashes.
Newton-Tracey (St. Thomas à Becket)
NEWTON-TRACEY (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Freemington, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 4½
miles (S. S. W.) from the town of Barnstaple; containing 125 inhabitants, and comprising about 350 acres.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £5. 8. 1½., and in the patronage of the Crown;
net income, £67. The glebe comprises 36 acres.
NEWTON-UNDERWOOD, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union of Morpeth, W. division of
Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland,
3 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 92 inhabitants.
The Bertrams, Charuns, Eures, Reveleys, and Mitfords
occur at various periods among the proprietors of land
at this place; and of these, the Eures were owners for
several centuries, till the 10th of James I.: the nuns of
Hallystone had a grant of common of pasture here,
which was confirmed by Henry III. in 1255. The
township comprises 832 acres of excellent arable and
pasture, and 20 of woodland. The village is seated a
little to the north of the road between Elsdon and Morpeth, and has a large neat green in the centre. The
impropriate tithes have been commuted for £230. 6. 1.
Here are the ruins of an ancient tower.
NEWTON-UNTHANK, a hamlet, in the parish of
Ratby, poor-law union of Market-Bosworth, hundred
of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester; containing 532 inhabitants.
NEWTON-UPON-DERWENT, a township, in the
parish of Wilberfoss, union of Pocklington, WiltonBeacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E.
riding of York, 5½ miles (W.) from Pocklington; containing 229 inhabitants. It comprises by computation
1640 acres of land, the property of various families.
The village is situated on the eastern acclivity of the
vale of the Derwent, and about a mile south-west of
Wilberfoss. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
NEWTON-UPON-OUSE, a parish, in the union of
Easingwold, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of
York, 8½ miles (N. W.) from York; containing, with
the townships of Benningbrough and Linton, 908 inhabitants, of whom 523 are in the township of Newton.
This parish, which is on the left bank of the river Ouse,
comprises about 4590 acres. Its soil is generally fertile, and the lands in the township of Newton, consisting
of 1490 acres, are rich, and in profitable cultivation.
The village is pleasantly situated on the river, and is
neatly built; a market-boat sails weekly to York, on
Saturday, and the York and Newcastle railway passes
through the township. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £100; patron, Viscount Downe. The
church was rebuilt, except the tower, at the joint expense
of University College, Oxford, and the late Viscount
Downe, in 1839. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A sum of £497. 15. 4. three per cent. consols.
has been purchased with a bequest of £200 by Mr. and
Mrs. Bouchier, £50 by Mr. Lund, £30 by Gabriel
Priestman, and £10 by John Robinson; the dividends
are distributed among the poor.
Newton-Upon-Trent (St. Peter)
NEWTON-UPON-TRENT (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Well, parts
of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 10 miles (W. N. W.)
from Lincoln, and 15 miles (N. by E.) from Newark;
containing 399 inhabitants. The parish is situated on
the river Trent, and comprises 1518a. 3r. 37p., nearly
all arable and pasture land, the former producing wheat,
barley, beans, and oats; part of the scenery is very
pleasing, being close to the Trent, and embracing an
extensive view of the surrounding country. The village
is on the eastern side of the vale. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4, and
in the patronage of the Dowager Lady Kinloch and Mrs.
Minster, with a net income of £155; appropriator, the
Bishop of Lincoln. The church, a neat plain structure,
contains 250 sittings. There is a place of worship for
Newton-Valence (St. Thomas à Becket)
NEWTON-VALENCE (St. Thomas à Becket), a
parish, in the union of Alton, hundred of Selborne,
Alton and N. divisions of the county of Southampton,
4 miles (S.) from Alton; containing 331 inhabitants.
It comprises 2253 acres, of which 341 are common or
waste. The living is a vicarage endowed with the rectorial tithes, with the living of Hawkley annexed, and
valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 2½.; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. T. Snow. The tithes of NewtonValence have been commuted for £495, and the glebe
consists of 62 acres.
Newton, Water (St. Remigius)
NEWTON, WATER (St. Remigius), a parish, in the
union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross,
county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Stilton; containing 97 inhabitants. The parish comprises
about 850 acres, and contains quarries of building-stone,
but not at present wrought; the river Nene skirts it.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£6. 9. 2., and in the gift of the Rev. Randolph Richard
Knipe: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge
of £231, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church
is a neat plain structure. Roman coins and fragments
of tessellated pavement have been found.
Newton, Welsh (St. Mary)
NEWTON, WELSH (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Monmouth, Lower division of the hundred of
Wormelow, county of Hereford, 4 miles (N. by W.)
from the town of Monmouth; containing 230 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the
king's books at £4. 10.; net income, £47; patron and
impropriator, Joseph Bailey, Esq.
NEWTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Bromfield, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below
Derwent, W. division of the county of Cumberland, 9½
miles (N.) from Cockermouth; containing 335 inhabitants. Here are the remains of a tower which formed
part of an ancient castle or hall. In the neighbourhood
is a quarry of red freestone.
Newton, West (St. Peter and St. Paul)
NEWTON, WEST (St. Peter and St. Paul), a
parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn,
W. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn;
containing 242 inhabitants. The parish comprises
1230a. 2r. 9p., of which 460 acres are arable, 130 pasture and meadow, 35 woodland, 277 sheep-walks, and
157 rabbit-warren. The village is on an acclivity, and
commands some fine views. There is a considerable
brewery. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of
the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £160,
and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is in the
early English style, with an embattled tower.
NEWTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Kirk-Newton, union of Glendale, W. division of
Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 5¾
miles (W. by N.) from Wooler; containing 83 inhabitants. It is situated near the border of Scotland, on the
road between Wooler and Kelso, and comprises about
1050 acres, of which 450 are arable, 25 plantation, and
the rest hill-pasture; the surface is mountainous. The
village is separated from that of Kirk-Newton by a small
rivulet, near its junction with the Beaumont.
NEWTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Aldbrough, union of Skirlaugh, Middle division of
the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 9¾
miles (N. E.) from Hull; containing 214 inhabitants.
This place is noticed in the Domesday survey, and mention of it again occurs in the reign of Henry II., when a
confirmation was given of a grant made to the abbey of
Thornton, in Lincolnshire, by William Botiler, of half
his tenure here: the manor has long been in the possession of the family of Constable, the present owners.
The township comprises about 770 acres of land, divided
into several farms, and lying near the Lamwith stream.
Newton, Wold, or Newton-upon-the-Wolds (All Saints)
NEWTON, WOLD, or Newton-upon-the-Wolds
(All Saints), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county
of Lincoln, 9¼ miles (S. by W.) from Grimsby; containing 146 inhabitants. It is situated on the old road
from Grimsby to Louth, and comprises by measurement
1900 acres of land, of which the soil is various, and in
some parts chalky. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 10.; net income,
£400; patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is
a neat structure, and contains a richly-sculptured font.
Here is a large tumulus, in which twenty urns were
found in the year 1828.
NEWTON, WOLD, a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York,
11½ miles (N. by E.) from Driffield; containing 245 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the Wolds,
comprises by computation 2000 acres; the soil is light
and gravelly. The surface is diversified with hills and
dales, presenting a great variety of scenery, and enlivened
by a considerable lake, fed by one of those copious
springs of water which, during the latter part of the
winter and the earlier part of spring, issue from different
portions of the Wolds with great force, and are called
Gypsey springs. The parish was anciently a chapelry
to Hunmanby, where the inhabitants were accustomed
to bury till the consecration of their own churchyard in
1828. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £6. 19. 9½.; net income, £130; patron and impropriator, the Hon. Marmaduke Langley,
of Wykeham Abbey. The church, an ancient structure
repaired in 1839 at an expense of £250, contains 150
sittings. The vicarage-house was erected at the expense
of the Rev. J. Skelton, the present incumbent, assisted
by a donation of £100 from the patron. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
Newton, Wood (St. Mary)
NEWTON, WOOD (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Oundle, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (S. W.)
from Wansford; containing 483 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from King's-Cliffe to Oundle,
and comprises by computation 1180 acres, forming a
rich and fertile tract of land, peculiarly adapted for the
growth of vegetables; the surface is undulated, and the
soil various, light and sandy on the north, and stronger
on the west. The substratum abounds with oolite of
inferior quality, which is raised for building purposes,
and most of the houses are built of it. A fine rivulet
flows through the parish, and falls into the Nene; a
beautiful spring here, called the Willybrook, gives name
to the hundred. The living is a perpetual curacy, in
the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough; net income, £80. The church is a neat plain edifice, in good
repair. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.