Orby (All Saints)
ORBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, Marsh division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7 miles
(E. by N.) from Spilsby; containing 381 inhabitants.
It comprises by admeasurement 1200 acres, and is situated on the west of the road from Burgh, through
Louth, to Great Grimsby, and about four miles from
the sea. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £9. 19. 4.; net income, £160;
patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln: there
is a glebe-house, with about 42 acres of land. The
church is a neat edifice in the early English style. Here
are places of worship for Methodists and Baptists; also
a national school.
ORCHARD, EAST, a parish, in the union of
Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny-Handley, Shaston division of Dorset, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Shaftesbury; containing 173 inhabitants, and comprising by
admeasurement 789 acres. The living is annexed to
the vicarage of Iwerne-Minster. The church is a small
plain edifice, built about two or three centuries since.
Orchard-Portman (St. Michael)
ORCHARD-PORTMAN (St. Michael), a parish,
in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and
Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 2 miles
(S. S. E.) from the town of Taunton; containing 114
inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £7. 11. 5., and in the gift of Lord
Portman: the tithes have been commuted for £115. 16.,
and the glebe comprises 24 acres.
ORCHARD, WEST, a parish, in the union of
Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny-Handley, Shaston division of Dorset, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from
Sturminster-Newton; containing 157 inhabitants. It
is situated on the river Stour, in the vale of Blackmore,
and comprises about 650 acres, of which 548 are pasture, 48 arable, and the remainder orchard land. The
living is annexed to the vicarage of Fontnell-Magna.
The church is in the later English style.
ORCHARDLEIGH, a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (N.)
from Frome; containing 44 inhabitants. It is situated
two miles west of the road between Bath and Weymouth,
and comprises about 600 acres, of which 88 are woodland,
and 5 arable; the soil is loamy earth, resting on limestone. The greater portion of the parish is included in
the Park, comprising a beautifully undulated and wellwooded surface, improved by an artificial lake covering
about twenty-eight acres. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £2; net income,
£167; patron, T. S. N. Champneys, Esq. The church
is a plain ancient edifice, of small dimensions, and in
the Norman style.
Orcheston (St. George)
ORCHESTON (St. George), a parish, in the union
of Amesbury, hundred of Heytesbury, Salisbury and
Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 12 miles (S. S. E.)
from Devizes; containing, with the hamlet of Elston,
234 inhabitants. The parish is on the road between
Salisbury and Devizes, and comprises by admeasurement 2363 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £19. 7. 6., and in the gift of Wadham
College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for
£493. 13. 4., and there is a glebe-house, with 36 acres
of land. The church was completely restored in 1833,
and is now an elegant and commodious edifice, with
eastern and western windows of stained glass.
Orcheston (St. Mary)
ORCHESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Amesbury, hundred of Branch and Dole, Salisbury
and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 11½ miles
(S. S. E.) from Devizes; containing 113 inhabitants.
It is situated near the road from Devizes to Salisbury,
and comprises 1871a. 3r. 10p. A small meadow in the
parish is remarkable for a peculiar grass, producing a
stalk between seven and ten feet long, the strong succulent shoots from which, fall, run along the ground, and
take root at the knots. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £13. 13. 9.; patrons, the Master
and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge: the tithes have
been commuted for £350, and the glebe comprises 38
acres. The church and glebe-house have been rebuilt,
the latter, as well as the chancel of the church, at the
entire cost of the rector.
Orcop (St. Mary)
ORCOP (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dore,
Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, county
of Hereford, 9½ miles (W. N. W.) from Ross; containing 570 inhabitants. The parish is considerably
elevated, and consists of 2371 acres. Limestone is obtained. The living is a donative curacy, in the patronage
of William Palmer, Esq. (the impropriator), with a net
income of £31: the tithes have been commuted for a
rent-charge of £220.
Ordsall (All Saints)
ORDSALL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
East Retford, Hatfield division of the wapentake of
Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham,
1½ mile (S.) from East Retford; containing 955 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1925
acres, the soil of which is a rich sandy and gravelly
earth: about the close of the last century, it was chiefly
open forest-ground, some parts of which were not inclosed
till 1804. The Worksop and Chesterfield canal and the
river Idle pass through, and on the latter is a paper-mill.
The village is old, and irregularly built on the west bank
of the Idle, which divides the lordship of Ordsall from
that of Thrumpton; these two places make up the entire parish, and the latter includes the neat hamlet of
Whitehouses, on the great north road, Whinney moorrow, Storcroft-terrace, and several handsome modern
dwellings forming the southern suburbs of East Retford.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£19. 10. 7½., and in the gift of Lord Wharncliffe: the
tithes have been commuted for £480, and the glebe
comprises 18 acres, with an excellent parsonage-house.
The church is chiefly in the later English style, with a
lofty tower, which was greatly injured by lightning in
1823; the interior of the building was thoroughly repaired in 1831. The poor have the benefit of two or
three small bequests.
Ore (St. Helen)
ORE (St. Helen), a parish, in the hundred of
Baldslow, union and rape of Hastings, E. division of
Sussex, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from Hastings; containing
1228 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road
from Hastings to Battle: the surface is agreeably diversified with hill and dale, and tolerably well wooded,
especially on the estate of Coghurst. John of Gaunt,
Duke of Lancaster, resided at the mansion of Ore Place,
which has been nearly rebuilt by its present proprietor,
Sir H. Elphinstone, Bart.; and near the estate are the
remains of a religious establishment. Good sandstone is
found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £3. 0. 2½.; net income, £178; patrons,
Trustees: there is a glebe-house, with about 8 acres of
land. The church is principally in the later English
style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle,
the last of which was erected only a few years since.
The union workhouse is situated in the parish. There
is a chalybeate spring.
Orford (St. Bartholomew)
ORFORD (St. Bartholomew), a parish, having
separate jurisdiction, and
formerly a representative
borough and market-town,
in the union, and locally in
the hundred, of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 20 miles (E. by N.)
from Ipswich; containing,
with the hamlet of Raydon,
1028 inhabitants. This was
a place of some trade and
importance, but has been reduced to a state of comparative insignificance. It is situated on the river Ore, and
the inhabitants are well supplied with water; the houses
are scattered and indifferently built. On the east of the
parish, between the river and the sea, are two lighthouses,
designated the Orford Ness Lights. An oyster-fishery
is carried on, under licence from the corporation; and
coal is imported, and corn exported, the river being navigable up to Aldeburgh quay, for vessels of 300 tons'
burthen. A toy-fair is held on June 24th. The inhabitants received a charter of incorporation prior to the
reign of Richard III., by which monarch, and also by
Elizabeth and James I., their privileges were confirmed.
Under the charter granted by King James, the corporation consists of a mayor, eight portmen, and twelve
capital burgesses, assisted by a recorder, coroner, chamberlain, town-clerk, two serjeants-at-mace, two waterbailiffs, and a harbour-master; the mayor and two portmen are justices of the peace. The corporation are
empowered to hold sessions twice a year, or as often as
may be requisite, and a court of record for the recovery
of debts under 40s. The elective franchise was conferred
in the 23rd of Edward I.; the exercise of it was subsequently discontinued till the reign of Henry VI., from
which period two members were regularly returned to
parliament until the 2nd of William IV., when the borough was disfranchised.
The living is annexed to the rectory of Sudborne:
the tithes have been commuted for £317, and the glebe
comprises 10½ acres. The church is of great antiquity,
and when entire was a spacious and magnificent structure, with a square embattled tower. The chancel, now
in ruins, appears to be more ancient than the rest of the
building, and is separated from it by a wall built across
the east end of the nave; the ruins are in the Norman
style, and consist of a double row of massive columns,
supporting semicircular arches decorated with zigzag
mouldings and other highly-finished carvings. A part
of the steeple fell down in 1830, and has not been entirely rebuilt. The edifice contains a font of exquisite
workmanship, and numerous figures of brass and inscriptions in different parts, with a monument to the
memory of the Rev. Francis Mason, author of Vindiciæ
Ecclesiæ Anglicanæ, who died in 1621. At the west end
of the town are the remains of a castle supposed to have
been built very soon after the Conquest: the keep is
still left, a building of eighteen sides, flanked by three
square embattled towers, on the north, north-east, and
south-east; the lower portion of the walls is solid, and
the upper parts contain chambers. An hospital for a
master and brethren, dedicated to St. Leonard, was
founded in the time of Edward II., and continued until
after 1586; and there was likewise a priory of Augustine friars, established about the 23rd of Edward I.:
part of the walls of a monastery, and the burial-ground,
yet remain, and in the latter a quantity of bones and of
Saxon and Roman coins have been found. Here were
also chapels dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St.
Leonard. Herbert de Lozinga, the first Bishop of Norwich, is said to have been a native of the town. It confers the title of Earl upon the Walpole family.
ORFORTH, an extra-parochial district, in the union
of Louth, S. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft,
parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 22
inhabitants, and comprising about 1000 acres.
ORGARSWICK, a parish, in the union and liberty
of Romney-Marsh, locally in the hundred of Worth,
lathe of Shepway, W. division of Kent, 5 miles (N. N. E.)
from New Romney; containing 8 inhabitants. It comprises 392 acres. There being no church, the living, a
rectory valued in the king's books at £3, is a sinecure;
net income, £39; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of
ORGREAVE, a township, in the parish of Alrewas,
union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4¾ miles (N. N. E.)
from Lichfield; containing, with the hamlet of Overley,
123 inhabitants. It is situated close to the river Trent,
and near the Grand Trunk canal; and comprises about
700 acres of land. The Hall, now a farmhouse, with a
fine avenue of elms, was formerly the seat of the Adams
family, the paternal ancestors of the Earl of Lichfield.
ORGREAVE, a township, in the parish and union
of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4¼ miles (S.
by W.) from Rotherham; containing 52 inhabitants.
The township comprises by computation about 500
acres, and consists chiefly of detached and irregularlybuilt houses on the west bank of the river Rother.
Orlestone (St. Mary)
ORLESTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
East Ashford, partly in the liberty of Romney-Marsh,
and partly in the hundred of Ham, lathe of Shepway,
W. division of Kent, 6½ miles (S. by W.) from Ashford;
containing 316 inhabitants. It comprises 1825a. 4p., of
which about 700 acres are woodland, and the remainder
arable and pasture; the soil is fertile, producing excellent wheat, and the scenery is richly diversified. The
Royal Military canal passes within a short distance of
the village. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £4. 15. 9., and in the gift of
T. Thornhill, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£157. 18., and the glebe consists of 48 acres. The
church is a neat edifice. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. Some chalybeate springs rise here.
ORLETON, a parish, in the union of Leominster,
hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S.
by W.) from Ludlow; containing 603 inhabitants. It
comprises 2497 acres, of which two-thirds are arable,
and the remainder pasture. The Leominster canal and
the road from Ludlow to Leominster pass through.
There are courts leet and baron in March and October.
A large fair for cattle is held on the 23rd and 24th of
April. The living is a vicarage; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Lucton school: the great
tithes have been commuted for £145. 14., and the
vicarial for £129. 9.; the glebe comprises about one
acre, with a house. The church is ancient, has a
shingled spire, and contains a curious font. Blount,
the antiquary, was a native of the parish, and lies buried
in the chancel of the church.
ORLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eastham,
union of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of
Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county
of Worcester, 7½ miles (E. by S.) from Tenbury; containing 111 inhabitants. It is situated in the eastern
part of the parish, on the right bank of the river Teame;
and consists of 538a. 2r. 31p. of a fertile soil, producing
wheat, hops, and fruit. The chapel, dedicated to St.
John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1816, at an expense of
£456, and is a plain brick edifice containing 120 sittings.
A rent-charge of £128 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes, and there is a glebe of 5¾ acres.
Orlingbury (St. Mary)
ORLINGBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Wellingborough, hundred of Orlingbury, N.
division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (N. W.
by N.) from Wellingborough; containing 351 inhabitants. The parish consists of 1858a. 26p. of productive
ground. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £20. 7. 3½.; net income, £268; patron, the
Rev. J. Hilton. The tithes were commuted for land and
corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1808. The Rev.
Owen Manning, editor of Lye's Saxon Dictionary, was
born here in 1721.
Ormesby (St. Cuthbert)
ORMESBY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union
of Guisborough, partly in the E., and partly in the W.,
division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of
York, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Stockton; containing, with
the chapelry of Eston, and the townships of Morton, Normanby, and Upsall, 851 inhabitants, of whom 383 are in
Ormesby township. This parish is in the district of
Cleveland, and at the mouth of the river Tees, by which
it is bounded on the north. The township of Ormesby
comprises 2768a. 3r. 29p. of land, chiefly the property
of Sir William Henry Pennyman, who is lord of the
manor; the surface is boldly diversified, and the soil
generally fertile. Ormesby Hall, the seat of Sir William,
is a spacious and handsome mansion, beautifully situated on an eminence commanding fine views of the river
and the North Sea, and surrounded with a richly-wooded
park. About two miles from the village is Cleveland
Port, where formerly a very extensive trade in corn,
coal, and other articles, was carried on. The village is
pleasantly situated on the road from Redcar to Stockton,
and contains several well-built houses. The living is a
vicarage, held with the perpetual curacy of Eston, and
valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 6½.; net income
of Ormesby, £283, and of Eston £80; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The great tithes
of the township of Ormesby have been commuted for
£296, and the small for £126; the vicar has a glebe of
2¾ acres. The church, an ancient structure with some
interesting details of Norman character, was repaired in
1820 at an expense of £700. There are bequests for
distribution among the poor, amounting to £26 per
annum. Numerous gold coins of the reigns of Henry
VI., VII., and VIII., and Charles I., were dug up while
rebuilding the glebe-house in 1838.
Ormsby (St. Margaret)
ORMSBY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the East
and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg,
E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Yarmouth; containing 645 inhabitants. This parish, which
is situated on the coast, comprises, with Ormsby St.
Michael, 2686 acres. The village is about a mile from
the sea, of which it commands an extensive view, and
contains many handsome residences; the surrounding
country is richly wooded, and the scenery picturesque.
The inhabitants had formerly a charter for a market,
and they are still exempt from toll and from serving on
juries out of the manor. An act for the inclosure of
lands was passed in 1842. The living is a discharged
vicarage, with that of St. Michael and that of Scratby;
it is valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 10.: patrons
and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich.
The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £772. 14.,
and the vicarial for £290. 17.; the glebes comprise respectively 51 and 65 acres. The church is a handsome
structure in the later English style, with a lofty square
embattled tower; on the south is a richly-embellished
Norman doorway. The Baptists and Wesleyans have
places of worship.
Ormsby (St. Michael)
ORMSBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the East and
West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg,
E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Yarmouth; containing 278 inhabitants. The living is united
to the vicarage of Ormsby St. Margaret. The church is
in the early English style, with a tower, and was
thoroughly repaired in 1838. There are some town
lands yielding annually £32. 15., of which a portion is
distributed in blankets and coal among the poor.
Ormsby, North (St. Helen)
ORMSBY, NORTH (St. Helen), a parish, in the
union of Louth, wapentake of Ludborough, parts of
Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from
Louth; containing 132 inhabitants, and comprising
about 1650 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £3, and has a net income
of £87; the patronage and impropriation belong to the
Misses E. and S. Ansell. The church is a small edifice.
A monastery for nuns and brethren of the Sempringham
order, was founded here in the time of Stephen, by
William, Earl of Albemarle, and Gilbert, son of Robert
de Ormesby; it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin
Mary, and flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue
was valued at £80.
Ormsby, South (St. Leonard)
ORMSBY, SOUTH (St. Leonard), a parish, in the
union of Spilsby, hundred of Hill, parts of Lindsey,
county of Lincoln, 7¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Spilsby;
containing, with Ketsby hamlet, 259 inhabitants. The
living is a rectory, to which the vicarage of Calceby and
the rectory of Driby were united in 1774; it is valued
in the king's books at £14. 13. 11½., and is in the gift
of the family of Massingberd. The impropriate tithes
have been commuted for £92. 11., and the rectorial for
£888; the glebe consists of 59 acres. Here are the remains of a Roman exploratory camp.
Ormside (St. James)
ORMSIDE (St. James), a parish, in East ward and
union, county of Westmorland, 3¼ miles (S. E. by S.)
from Appleby; containing 190 inhabitants. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£17. 17. 3½.; net income, £166; patron, the Bishop of
Carlisle. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803;
and there is a glebe-house. The church is a small ancient structure, situated on the south bank of the river
Eden, which, washing the foundations of the building,
in 1689, exposed to view some brazen vessels.
Ormskirk (St. Peter and St. Paul)
ORMSKIRK (St. Peter and St. Paul), a markettown and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing, with the chapelry of Skelmersdale, and the townships of Bickerstaffe, Burscough, Lathom, and Scarisbrick, 14,608 inhabitants, of whom 4891 are in the town,
13 miles (N. N. E.) from Liverpool, on the road to Preston,
40 (S. by W.) from Lancaster, and 209 (N. W. by N.)
from London. Ormskirk is not found in the Domesday
survey; but, according to very credible tradition, the
parish belonged to Orm, the Saxon proprietor of Halton,
who, driven from his possessions in Cheshire, established
himself in Lancashire, and, by his marriage with Alice,
daughter of Herveus, a Norman nobleman, ancestor of
Theobald Walter, obtained large estates in this county.
He was the founder, no doubt, of the church; the word
kirk, with his own name, constituting the name of the
parish. It is certain, that a church, and the name of
Ormskirk, both existed in the reign of Richard I., when
Robert, son of Henry de Torbock and Lathom, who is
supposed to have been a descendant of Orm, founded
the priory of Burscough, which was endowed with a
great part of the parish, including the manor of Ormskirk. On the dissolution of monasteries, the manor was
granted to the Earl of Derby, in whose family it has
ever since continued. In the civil war of the 17th
century, this place was the scene of a conflict between
the royalist and parliamentary forces on the 20th August
1644, in which the former were defeated with considerable loss; and on the 16th October, in the same year,
a skirmish took place, which has been denominated
The town, which is situated on an eminence, eight
miles from the sea, overlooks the surrounding country,
and enjoys a salubrious air and delightful prospects. It
is clean and well built, and consists chiefly of four streets
diverging at right angles from a central area used as a
market-place: the lighting act is in operation. There
are, a small silk-factory, three roperies, and a steam
flour-mill. The loamy soil around the town produces a
great quantity of carrots, which are sent to Liverpool,
and the farmers are noted for the culture of early potatoes.
The inhabitants have also long been famous for making
gingerbread, which is of exquisite flavour; it meets with
a rapid sale, and is even exported. The Leeds and Liverpool canal is not more than three miles distant, and
here is a station of the Liverpool and Preston railway.
The market, granted in the 14th of Edward I. to the
prior of Burscough, is on Thursday; and fairs are held
on Whit-Monday and Whit-Tuesday, and September
10th and 11th. Petty-sessions take place on the last
Friday in every month; and a court leet occurs in
October, at which a constable and other officers are
appointed for the town. The powers of the county debtcourt of Ormskirk, established in 1847, extend over the
registration-district of Ormskirk.
The length of the parish, from Martin Mere on
the north-west, to Skelmersdale on the south-east, is
twelve miles; the breadth from Lathom on the east, to
Ormskirk on the west, between four and five miles; and
the area is 30,083 acres. A stream, called the Merebrook,
flows from Bickerstaffe, by the south side of Ormskirk, through Scarisbrick, and into Martin Mere. The
Tawd brook, rising upon Bickerstaffe Moss, runs between
Lathom and Ormskirk, and winds down to the Douglas
near Newburgh. The Eller brook, a pellucid rivulet,
issues from Lathom, and passing by the priory of Burscough, falls into the Douglas north of Burscough. The
Golforden, mentioned by Leland as near Lathom, is now
unknown. The soil of the parish is generally a dark
vegetable loam, well calculated for the culture of green
crops, particularly carrots and potatoes, as already
mentioned. From this cause, there is more land in
tillage than is usual in the Lancashire parishes; and the
arable and pasture may be estimated as in very nearly
equal portions. Of the peat-mosses, which abound, the
principal are Bickerstaffe Moss, Hosher Moss, Scarisbrick Moss, and Burscough Moss, from all which are
frequently dug up trees, chiefly oak and fir, that have
been buried for ages, and preserved from decay by the
tanning action of the peat earth. Though humid, swampy,
and even boggy in many parts, the soil does not affect
the salubrity of the climate, longevity prevailing in an
unusual degree. Coal is obtainable in Bickerstaffe and
Lathom; and stone in other divisions. The township
of Ormskirk comprises 214 acres only, of which 174 are
pasture, and 44 arable.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £10; net income, £367, with a house;
patron and impropriator, the Earl of Derby. The original church was probably built by Orm, as before said,
soon after the Conquest; the date of the first rebuilding
is unknown, but the tower seems to have been raised in
the reign of Henry VIII. In 1553, two chantries, which
had been suppressed, were restored; and in 1572, the
Stanley chapel and vault were constructed in accordance
with the will of Edward, the third earl of Derby, surnamed "the Bountiful;" for a cemetery for that noble
family, the deceased members of which have been interred here since the Dissolution. Within the chapel,
on the south side, is a dilapidated figure of a knight,
carved in stone, originally a full-length, but reduced by
the operation of time to one-half; and reclining on the
same stone is a full-length carving of a lady, now much
defaced: on the north side are two similar figures.
These effigies are vulgarly called the Kings and Queens
of Man. The present body of the church was built
in 1729-31; the spire having been blown down, was
rebuilt about 1790: the whole edifice was improved
and altered in 1828, and the spire, having fallen into
decay, was a third time rebuilt in 1832. Another church
was erected here in 1848; and at Bickerstaffe, Burscough,
Lathom, and Skelmersdale are also incumbencies. There
are places of worship for Independents, Unitarians, and
Wesleyans; also a Roman Catholic chapel, built about
a century ago, and dedicated to St. Oswald: over the
altar of this last is a copy by Gainsford, of the Four
Marys by Annibal Caracci. The free grammar school
was founded about 1614, and is endowed with various
benefactions producing £138. 15. per annum. A school
in Church-street was built in 1824, at the expense of
James, Earl of Derby, for a Blue-coat school, now
merged in some national schools; and Roman Catholic
schools were built in 1847. The poor-law union of
Ormskirk comprises twenty-one parishes or places, containing a population of 34,975.