Ousby (St. Luke)
OUSBY (St. Luke), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 9¼
miles (E. N. E.) from the town of Penrith; containing
271 inhabitants. This place, properly Ulfsby, "the seat
of Ulff," a Dane, is situated to the west of a chain of
mountains; and from its elevated position, is subject to
great damage from the "Helm winds," which occur
frequently from September to May, and do much injury
to the corn. The parish comprises 6032 acres, of which
4000 are common or waste; the soil of the cultivated
land is a kind of red marl or rich loam, though in some
places it is light and sandy. Limestone and red-sandstone abound, and there are veins of lead-ore, and some
small seams of coal. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £13. 13. 4.; net income, £353;
patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church contains, in
a niche, a wooden effigy of a man in armour. Here are
the remains of a British fortification, consisting of an
outer and an inner rampart, within the area of which
Roman urns and other antiquities have been found:
the Maiden way traverses the mountainous parts of the
Ousden, or Owsden (St. Peter)
OUSDEN, or Owsden (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of Newmarket, hundred of Risbridge, W.
division of Suffolk, 7 miles (E. S. E.) from Newmarket;
containing 340 inhabitants, and comprising about 1200
acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £10. 3. 9.; net income, £285; patron, Thomas James Ireland, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £26. 10. The church is in the Norman style.
A school is endowed with £10 per annum.
Ouseburn, Great (St. Mary)
OUSEBURN, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the
Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding
of York, 14 miles (N. W. by W.) from York; containing
610 inhabitants. About half a mile from Great Ouseburn rises a small stream which gives its name to the
two villages of Great and Little Ouseburn, and also to the
river formed by the junction of the Swale and the Ure.
The parish comprises about 1444 acres, principally good
arable land. The village is pleasantly situated in the
vale of the Ouse, over which a substantial bridge of
wood, to Aldwark, was built by J. Thompson, Esq.,
grandfather of the present proprietor, on the site of the
ancient ferry. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £3. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £213; impropriator,
the Rev. E. Robinson: the tithes were commuted for
land in 1770. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel and tower, in 1823. There is a place
of worship for Independents.
Ouseburn, Little (Holy Trinity)
OUSEBURN, LITTLE (Holy Trinity), a parish,
partly in the Lower and partly in the Upper division of
the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Kirkby-Hall, Thorpe-Underwoods, and Widdington, 620 inhabitants, of whom 359
are in the township of Little Ouseburn, 13 miles (N. W.)
from York. The parish is bounded on the east by the
navigable river Ouse, and comprises 3530a. 11p., of
which about one-half is arable, and the remainder
meadow and pasture with a small portion of woodland;
the soil in the township is very rich, producing excellent
wheat, barley, and turnips. A post-office has been established. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £3. 8. 4.; net income, £134; patron, the Precentor in the Cathedral of York; impropriator, R. J.
Thompson, Esq. The tithes of the township were commuted for land in 1801. The church is an ancient
structure, with a square tower; in the churchyard is
the mausoleum of the Thompson family. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
OUSEFLEET, a township, in the parish of Whitgift, union of Goole, Lower division of the wapentake
of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York; 6 miles (E. by N.)
from the town of Goole; containing 228 inhabitants.
It is bounded on the north by the river Ouse, and comprises about 2100 acres, of which 1000 were inclosed in
1829. The tithes were commuted for land and a money
payment in 1828. There is a place of worship for Independents; also a school, endowed by Emanuel Empson, in 1727, with a house and land now producing
about £36 per annum.
OUSTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward,
N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (N. N. W.)
from Chester-le-Street; containing 282 inhabitants.
This place belonged to the priory of St. Bartholomew,
in Newcastle, and was granted by Henry VIII., by
letters-patent in the 36th of his reign, to Sir William
Barentine, Knt., and others, since which period it has
been in the possession of various families. The township comprises 629 acres, of which about four-fifths
are strong arable land. A colliery was opened in 1803
in the townships of Ouston and Harraton. The lands
are exempt from all tithes, except Easter dues.
Ouston (St. Andrew)
OUSTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, N. division of the
county of Leicester, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Oakham;
containing, with the hamlet of Newbold, 213 inhabitants. A society of Canons regular of the order of St.
Augustine, was founded here in the reign of Henry II.,
by Sir Robert Grimbald: its revenue, at the Dissolution, was £173. 18. 9. The abbot's residence, which
joined the west end of the church, was removed about
the middle of the last century, and the materials were
employed in building the church of East Carlton, and a
farmhouse at Ouston. It was a substantial structure
in the later English style: the remains of a fosse which
inclosed it, its large ponds, and other appendages, may
still be traced; and at the eastern extremity of the
lordship is another moated inclosure, of small size,
called the Chads. The parish is elevated, and comprises
2981a. 1r. 2p., nearly all pasture land. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Henry Palmer. The church belonged to the abbey, and contains portions of different styles; the shrine of Grimbald is fixed in the middle
of the north wall. The glebe-house is an antique structure, originally the dormitory of the abbey.
OUSTON, a township, in the parish of Stamfordham, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of Tindale
ward, S. division of Northumberland, 13 miles
(W. N. W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 21
inhabitants. The township is situated on the river
Pont, and comprises 511a. 2r. of high flat table-land,
with a substratum of blue mountain limestone. It is
free of large tithes, having belonged to Hexham Abbey:
the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £5. 2. 2., and
13s. 4d. are payable to the Bishop of Durham.
OUTCHESTER, a township, in the parish of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough
ward and of Northumberland, 2½ miles (E. by S.) from
Belford; containing 122 inhabitants. This place, which
is situated on the western bank of the river Warn, near
its influx into Budle bay, was the site of the Castrum
Ulterius of the ancient port of Warnmouth; the camp
is of a square form, and there are vestiges of a Roman
road extending from it towards Alnwick. The bay
affords secure anchorage for small vessels. As commutations for the tithes of Outchester, Spindlestone, and
Glororum, rent-charges have been awarded amounting
to £72, of which £42 are payable to an impropriator,
and £30 to Greenwich Hospital.
OUTSEATS, a hamlet, in the parish of Hathersage, poor-law union of Bakewell, hundred of High
Peak, N. division of the county of Derby; containing
Outwell (St. Clement)
OUTWELL (St. Clement), a parish, in the union
of Wisbech, partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle
of Ely, county of Cambridge, and partly in the hundred of Clackclose, county of Norfolk, 5½ miles
(S. E) from Wishech; containing 1252 inhabitants, of
whom 820 are in Norfolk. The parish is situated on
the river Nene, and comprises about 2000 acres, belonging to several families. Beaupré Hall, the ancient
manor-house, is a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan
style. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £16; net income, £417; patron, the
Bishop of Ely: the tithes have been commuted for
£114, and there is a glebe-house, with 5 acres of land.
The church is in the later English style, with a square
embattled tower, and an elegant south porch. There
are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. The town lands comprise 66½ acres, producing
£105 per annum. Molycourt Priory, or the chapel of
St. Mary de Bello Loco, which was situated in the
parish, was founded before the Conquest, for Benedictine monks; its revenue being considerably diminished,
Henry VI. appropriated it to the priory of Ely.
OUTWICK, a hamlet, in the parish and liberty of
Breamore, poor-law union of Fordingbridge, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton;
containing 68 inhabitants.
OUTWOOD, a hamlet, in the chapelry of Ringley,
parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, S. division
of Lancashire, 7 miles (N. W.) from Manchester; containing about 2000 inhabitants. It is situated on the
river Irwell; and the Manchester and Bolton canal
passes through. The population is employed in collieries, and in cotton and print works. Outwood is the
seat of Mark Philips, Esq.
OVENDEN, a township, in the parish and union of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York;
adjoining the town of Halifax, and containing 11,799
inhabitants. This township is included in the ancient
parochial chapelry of Illingworth, and its northern division now forms the ecclesiastical district of Bradshaw.
It comprises by computation 5295 acres, of which 1742,
formerly open common, were inclosed under the provisions of an act of parliament, in 1814. The surface is
varied, and the higher grounds command a view over
Halifax and the surrounding country; in the upper
district are coal-pits and stone-quarries in extensive
operation. The township consists of numerous detached
houses irregularly built, and of several scattered hamlets; and is situated on the road to Keighley and Craven,
between the river Hebble and a stream called Ovenden
Brook, which latter separates it from the township of
North Owram. The inhabitants are principally employed in cotton, woollen, silk, and worsted mills, and
the hand-loom weaving of damasks and lastings. In
the village of Illingworth is the church of St. Mary, a
neat edifice with a square tower, built in 1777, on the
site of a former structure; it was much injured by fire
in Dec. 1841, owing to the over-heating of the flues,
but an ample subscription was immediately entered into
for its restoration: the organ is said to be the finest to
be met with in any village church in this part of the
kingdom. Attached is a spacious cemetery. The living
is a perpetual curacy; net income, £170, with a glebehouse, erected in 1838; patron, the Vicar of Halifax.
The tithes of the township were commuted for land in
1814. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Methodists of
the New Connexion.
Over (St. Mary)
OVER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St.
Ives, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge,
4½ miles (E. by S.) from St. Ives; containing 1119 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £19. 0. 10.; net income, £108;
patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College,
Cambridge. The rectory, an impropriation belonging to
the college, is valued in the king's books at £51. 13. 11½.
There is a place of worship for Baptists. The late Mrs.
Kirkby gave the sum of £300, since laid out in land, for
the endowment of a school for the poor, and the relief of
Over (St. Chad)
OVER (St. Chad), a market-town and parish, having
separate jurisdiction, locally in the First division of the
hundred of Eddisbury, partly in the union of Nantwich, but chiefly in that of Northwich, S. division of
the county of Chester; containing, with the township
of Low Oulton and the chapelry of Wettenhall, 3137
inhabitants, of whom 2816 are in the town, 16¼ miles
(E.) from Chester, and 168 (N. W. by N.) from London.
This place is situated on the road from Middlewich to
Chester, and consists chiefly of one long and irregular
street, in which are remains of several crosses. On the
banks of the river Weaver, which bounds the parish on
the east, are numerous brine-pits; and across the stream,
between the parishes of Over and Davenham, is Winsford bridge, where the navigation ends, and on each
side of which houses have been built, in consequence
of the extension of the salt manufacture in the neighbourhood. A little to the east of the bridge is a station
of the Liverpool and Birmingham railway. The market,
granted by charter of Edward I., having been disused
for about a century, was restored in 1840, and is held
on Wednesday, in a commodious market-place lately
built on land given by Lord Delamere, lord of the
manor: there are fairs on May 15th and September
25th. The town is called in ancient records a borough,
and has been from time immemorial under the government of a mayor, who is chosen at the court leet and
baron of the lord of the manor, held in October. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £7. 4.; net income, £167; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Chester, whose tithes in the township of Over have been commuted for £125. The glebehouse and out-buildings were restored in the year 1826,
at the cost of about £1400: the glebe in the immediate
neighbourhood, consists of about 24 acres. The church
was rebuilt in 1543, by Hugh Starkey, gentleman usher
to Henry VIII., and is in the later English style; the
interior has some good stained glass and tabernaclework, and an altar-tomb supporting an effigy in brass
to the memory of Hugh Starkey. At Wettenhall and
Winsford are separate incumbencies; the latter in the
gift of the Bishop, with an income of £150. There is a
place of worship for Independents. The free grammar
school was founded in 1689, by Mrs. Elizabeth Venables, and her son, Thomas Lee, Esq., at Darnhall, in the
adjoining parish of Whitegate, and was endowed with
lands, the value of which is £60 per annum; it was
removed to its present situation in 1803, and is now
conducted on the national system.
OVER, a hamlet, in the parish of Churcham, Lower
division of the hundred of Dudstone and King'sBarton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester; containing 114 inhabitants.
OVER, a tything, in the parish of Almondsbury,
union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of
Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of
Gloucester, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from the city of Bristol; containing 73 inhabitants.
Over Haddon, county of Derby.—See Haddon, Over.
OVER HADDON, county of Derby.—See Haddon,
Over.—And other places having a similar distinguishing
prefix will be found under the proper name.
Overbury (St. Faith)
OVERBURY (St. Faith), a parish, in the unions of
Tewkesbury and Winchcomb, Middle division of the
hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions
of the county of Worcester, 5½ miles (N. E.) from
Tewkesbury; containing, with the chapelries of Alstone,
Teddington, and Little Washbourne, and the hamlet of
Conderton, 875 inhabitants. The parish is almost surrounded by the county of Gloucester, and contains 3767
acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture, with some
wood: in the township of Overbury are 1217 acres.
The surface is generally flat, but rises towards Bredon
Hill; the soil is light and sandy, but fertile: here are
finer elm and chesnut trees than in any other part of the
county. Good stone is quarried for building. The village is beautifully situated, and of respectable appearance. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £9. 10.; net income, £540; patrons and
appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The
tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in
1811. The church, which stands in the centre of the
village, is ancient, and has some Norman arches and a
fine tower; the chancel possesses a groined roof, and
the font is curiously carved with the figure of a bishop.
There are chapels of ease at Alstone, Teddington, and
Little Washbourne; and the Independents have a place
of worship: a national school was built in 1845. Elizabeth Wood, in 1824, bequeathed £200, of which the interest is distributed to the poor. On the hill are remains of a Roman camp.
Overchurch, Cheshire.—See Upton.
OVERCHURCH, Cheshire.—See Upton.
Overley, county Stafford.—See Orgreave.
OVERLEY, county Stafford.—See Orgreave.
OVERSLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Arrow,
union of Alcester, Stratford division of the hundred
of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick,
½ a mile (S. E.) from Alcester; containing 187 inhabitants. It is situated on the left bank of the river Arrow,
and consists of 1430 acres: the road from Alcester to
Evesham passes along the right bank of the river.
Overstone (St. Nicholas)
OVERSTONE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the
union of Wellingborough, hundred of Spelhoe, S.
division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (N. E.)
from Northampton, on the road to Kettering; containing 242 inhabitants. The parish comprises by estimation 1690 acres, of which 193 are woodland and plantations surrounding the mansion of Overstone, and the
greater portion of the remainder arable. One-half of
the soil is a fine red loam, and the other half may be
divided into white sand and clay of inferior quality.
Stone for the roads is obtained, but it is of an indifferent
description. The females are employed in making lace.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£12. 16. 3.; net income, £265, with a house; patron,
Jones Loyd, Esq. The church, rebuilt in 1800 at the
expense of H. Kipling, Esq., is a small edifice with a
tower, and has a well-painted east window. The children
are instructed at the national school in the neighbouring
parish of Moulton.
Overstrand (St. Martin)
OVERSTRAND (St. Martin), a parish, in the union
of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E.
division of Norfolk, 1¾ mile (S. E. by E.) from Cromer; containing 240 inhabitants. The parish extends
for about two miles along the coast, and comprises 400
acres: the soil is light and sandy; the surface, rising
gradually from the shore, is bounded on the south-west
by a range of lofty hills, commanding extensive prospects of the sea and the adjacent country. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the herring and lobster
fisheries, in the former of which four large vessels are
employed, and in the latter eleven small boats. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £2. 1. 5½., and in the patronage of Lord Suffield: the tithes have been commuted for £80, and there
is a glebe of about one acre. The original church having
been destroyed by encroachment of the sea, which has
made considerable inroads on this part of the coast, the
present structure was built in the reign of Richard II.:
the chancel and part of the nave are in ruins; the remaining portion of the nave was fitted up for divine
service in 1785.