PARK, a ward, in the parish of St. Stephen, union
of St. Alban's, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St.
Alban's, county of Hertford, 2½ miles (S.) from St.
Alban's; containing 1170 inhabitants.
PARK, a grieveship, in the parish of Allendale,
union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of
Northumberland; containing 275 inhabitants.
PARK-END, a township, in the parish of Audley,
union of Newcastle-under-Lyme, N. division of the
hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford;
containing 88 inhabitants. This is a small township,
about half a mile west of the village of Audley.
PARKGATE, a hamlet, partly in the township of
Great Neston, and partly in that of Leighton, parish
of Neston, union, and Higher division of the hundred,
of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 12
miles (N. by W.) from Chester. It is situated on the
bank of the river Dee, about half a mile westward of the
village of Neston; and consists of a long range of
houses, which all face the river, and command a magnificent view of the opposite coast of Wales. The quay
and parade have been very much improved, at a considerable outlay, by the spirited owner, the Hon. Lloyd
Mostyn; and the place is much frequented by visiters
during the bathing season. There are several hotels,
among which is the Mostyn Arms, a spacious establishment replete with every accommodation. Over the
estuary of the Dee is a ferry to Bagilt and Flint. Formerly Parkgate was a sea-port of some note, and packets
and other vessels were employed, especially in the trade
with Ireland; but at present it is neglected as a port,
vessels of burthen being prevented from approaching
the quay by a large sand-bank, which impedes the navigation of the river. There was a custom-house, but the
business has been transferred to Chester. An act was
passed in 1847 for a railway to Bebington on the Birkenhead and Chester line, five miles in length, which will
render this place, from the greater facility of reaching it,
a still more fashionable and favourite resort.
Parkham (St. James)
PARKHAM (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington
and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (S. W.) from Bideford; containing 995 inhabitants. The parish is bounded
on the north by the sea, and comprises 5330 acres,
whereof 1426 are waste; the views are interesting and
extensive, embracing the Welsh coast, Lundy Island,
Clovelly, Hartland Point, and Bideford Bar. Lime is
extensively burned; and excellent sand for manure is
obtained on the beach. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £20. 6. 8.; patron, the Rev. W.
Walter; net income, £635, with a glebe-house. The
church has an enriched Norman door. Bableigh, in the
parish, was long held by the family of Risdon, of which
the county historian of that name was a member.
PARKHOLD, a township, in the parish and union of
Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford,
2 miles (S. by E.) from Ledbury; containing 42 inhabitants. It is situated near the western base of the
Malvern hills, on the borders of Gloucestershire, and
contains 383 acres of a well cultivated soil.
PARK-LEYS, an extra-parochial district, in the N.
division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division
of the county of Nottingham; containing 10 inhabitants. It consists of one farm comprising 256a. 3r. 4p.,
on the hills adjoining Kelham.
PARK-QUARTER, a township, in the parish of
Stanhope, union of Weardale, N. W. division of
Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W.) from Stanhope; containing 851 inhabitants. It includes the village of Westgate, and part
of the hamlets of Eastgate and Rookhope; and comprises by computation 12,190 acres. The township extends from one mile east of St. John's Chapel to three
miles west of Stanhope, and is watered by the Wear.
PARKSTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Canford
Magna, union and borough of Poole, hundred of Cogdean, Wimborne division of Dorset, 2 miles (E. by N.)
from Poole; containing 862 inhabitants. The living is
in the gift of the Parr family.
Park-Warks, with Pratts-Park
PARK-WARKS, with Pratts-Park, a township, in
the parish of Simonburn, union of Hexham, N. W.
division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 10 miles (N. N. W.) frem Hexham. It comprises
about 1100 acres of land, mostly arable, the property,
with the exception of 175 acres, of John Ridley, Esq.,
of Park-End House, a mansion beautifully situated in a
luxuriant vale, and surrounded by a well-wooded demesne,
whence is a fine view of the tower of Chipchase Castle.
Good limestone is obtained in the township. A rentcharge of £25 is paid to the rector.
PARLEY, a tything, in the parish, union, and hundred of Christchurch, Ringwood and S. divisions of
the county of Southampton; with 194 inhabitants.
PARLEY, WEST, a parish, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Cranborne,
Wimborne division of Dorset, 6¾ miles (E. S. E.) from
Wimborne; containing 254 inhabitants. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 17. 6.,
and in the gift of Mrs. Mary Buller: the incumbent's
tithes have been commuted for £250, and £44 are paid
to the rector of Lydlinch; the glebe contains 20 acres.
There is a place of worship for Independents.
PARLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Aberford, Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W.
riding of York, 6 miles (S.) from Wetherby; containing 212 inhabitants. The township includes part of the
small town of Aberford, and comprises nearly 1600 acres.
Parlington Hall is an ancient, spacious, and elegant mansion, situated in a richly-wooded park.
Parme, Chester.—See Mooresbarrow.
PARME, Chester.—See Mooresbarrow.
PARNDON, GREAT, a parish, in the union of
Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of Essex, 3½
miles (S. W. by W.) from Harlow; containing 417 inhabitants. It comprises about 2000 acres of land, in a
high state of cultivation. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £16. 10. 7½.; net income, £398;
patrons, the Earl of Mornington, and the Governors of
St. Thomas' Hospital. The church is a small edifice with
a tower surmounted by a spire.
Parndon, Little (St. Mary)
PARNDON, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of
Essex, 2¾ miles (W. by S.) from Harlow; containing 85
inhabitants. It comprises 534 acres, whereof 79 are
common or waste land. The Eastern-Counties railway
passes here. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £6; net income, £160; patrons,
certain Trustees. The church is a small edifice, beautifully situated near the river Stort, and consists of a nave
and chancel, with a north aisle.
PARR, a township, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing 3310 inhabitants. The family of
Parre or Parr, barons of Kendal, were anciently lords of
the manor. Sir Thomas Parre, master of the wards and
comptroller to Henry VIII., died in the 9th year of that
king's reign, leaving two sons and two daughters, of
whom one of the latter, Catherine, became the unfortunate queen of Henry VIII. His son, William, inherited
the estates, and was successively created lord Parr and
Ross, baron of Hart, earl of Essex, and marquess of
Northampton. Dr. Fuller has classed among the worthies of Lancashire, Richard Parr, whom the Earl of
Derby constituted bishop of Man, and who, having distinguished himself by the exemplary discharge of his
functions, died in 1643. The manor had before this
time passed to the Byroms; the lordship of Parr is now
claimed by the Orrell family. The township includes
the eastern part of the town of St. Helen's, and comprises 1601a. 1r. 8p., of which 250 acres are common or
waste land: it is almost entirely a coal district. St.
Peter's church, here, was built in 1839, at a cost of
£1200, and is a plain structure with a campanile tower.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Incumbent of St. Helen's, with a net income of £150, and
a parsonage-house, built in 1848. The vicarial tithes
have been commuted for £94; and the impropriate for
£136. 15. 9., payable to King's College, Cambridge.
Schools were built in 1845, from public grants and private subscription.
PARRACOMBE, a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwell, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 12 miles (N. E.) from Barnstaple; containing 446 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3791
acres, of which 1637 are common or waste land. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£13. 10. 10., and in the gift of L. St. Albyn, Esq.: the
tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe
comprises 56 acres. There are vestiges of an ancient
fortification in the neighbourhood.
PARSON-DROVE, a chapelry, in the parish of
Leverington, union and hundred of Wisbech, Isle of
Ely, county of Cambridge, 4¾ miles (W. by S.) from
Wisbech; containing 828 inhabitants. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £271; patrons, certain
Trustees. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A school is supported with seven acres of land,
yielding £16 annually.
PARTINGTON, a township, in the parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N.
division of the county of Chester, 5 miles (N. W.)
from Altrincham; containing 457 inhabitants. It comprises 638 acres, partly a clay and partly a sand soil.
The village is situated on the navigable river Mersey,
and has extensive paper-mills, a mill-board manufactory,
a large corn-mill, and two tanyards. A tithe rent-charge
of £17 is paid to the vicar, and one of £100. 15. to the
Bishop of Chester. There are places of worship for
Calvinists and Independents.
Partney (St. Nicholas)
PARTNEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1¾ mile
(N. by E.) from Spilsby; containing 468 inhabitants.
So early as the seventh century, a monastery is said to
have existed here; and it is certain that in the time of
Henry I. there was an hospital dedicated to St. Mary
Magdalene. Bede mentions another religious establishment, over which the abbess Edelhild presided. The
parish is on the London and Louth road, and comprises
920a. 3r., of which two-thirds are pasture and meadow
land. The soil is a sandy loam; the surface is undulated, and from the situation of the village in a valley in
the Wolds, with a diversity of ash, oak, and other wood,
the scenery is agreeable and picturesque. Large fairs
for sheep and cattle, which are said to have originated
from the monastery, take place on August 1st and 25th,
September 18th and 19th, and October 18th and 19th.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £11. 10. 2½., and in the gift of Lord Willoughby
de Eresby: the tithes have been commuted for £210,
and the glebe contains more than 5½ acres. The church
has been greatly altered by repairs, and the chancel
has been rebuilt. There is a place of worship for a
congregation of Baptists.
PARTON, a township, in the parish of Moresby,
union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1¾ mile (N.) from
Whitehaven; containing 663 inhabitants. Several vessels were employed here in the coal-trade until 1795,
when the pier was washed away by an unusually high
tide, since which the harbour has been resorted to by a
few fishing-boats only. North of the village is an extensive iron-foundry. Some years ago, a tunnel was
constructed through Rednees point, in continuation of a
railway from the neighbouring coal-works to Whitehaven. There is a place of worship for Independents;
also a free school, erected in 1818 by Joseph Williamson,
Esq., and endowed with £32 per annum.
Parton, with Micklethwaite
PARTON, with Micklethwaite, a township, in the
parish of Thursby, union of Wigton, ward and E. division of Cumberland, 2¼ miles (N. E.) from Wigton;
containing 104 inhabitants. The vicarial tithes have
been commuted for £59.
Parwick (St. Peter)
PARWICK (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of
Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 6
miles (N. by E.) from Ashbourn; containing 533 inhabitants. The manor, called in the Domesday survey Pevrewie, was parcel of the ancient demesne of the crown,
and passed with Ashbourn to the earls of Derby and to
Edmund, Earl of Lancaster. It was granted by King
Charles I. to the Dichfields and others, who sold it to
the Levings family, from whom it was purchased in
1814 by the family of Evans. The parish comprises
3061 acres, of which 60 are common or waste; the soil
is fertile, principally resting upon limestone, and is laid
out in dairy-farms. A railway from the Peak-Forest
canal to the Cromford canal crosses the northern part of
the parish. The village, which is of tolerably neat appearance, is situated at the foot of a rocky hill. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £108; patron,
William Evans, Esq. The tithes were commuted in
1841, the great for £135, and the small for £10. The
incumbent now occupies the Hall, an ancient mansion,
formerly the seat of the Levinges. The church is a
small structure with portions of Norman architecture,
and a low tower: in the churchyard are some venerable
yew-trees. Schools were built in 1827, by Mr. Evans,
who partly supports them.