Passenham - Patton

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

537-540

Citation Show another format:

'Passenham - Patton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 537-540. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51205 Date accessed: 30 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Passenham (St. Guthlake)

PASSENHAM (St. Guthlake), a parish, in the union of Potters-Pury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 1¼ mile (S. by W.) from Stoney-Stratford, on the road to Buckingham; containing, with the hamlet of Denshanger, 822 inhabitants. This is mentioned in the Saxon Chronicle as the place where the army of Edward the Elder lay whilst he was fortifying Towcester against the Danes. The parish comprises 3345a. 14p., of which two-thirds are pasture, and the remainder arable and wood: the surface is level. Good stone is obtained for building, and for burning into lime. Lace is made by the females. The river Ouse here separates the counties of Bucks and Northampton, and the Buckingham canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20, and in the gift of Viscount Maynard: the tithes were commuted for land in 1772. Besides the church is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school has a small endowment, and another school is supported by charity. Shrob Lodge, in the parish, was the seat of the industrious antiquary, Browne Willis.

Paston (St. Margaret)

PASTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (N. E.) from North Walsham; containing 298 inhabitants. It is situated on the coast, and comprises 1375a. 9p., of which about 1281 acres are arable, 34 pasture, and 8 wood. The surface is varied; to the west of the village is Stow Hill, a lofty ridge which divides the parish from that of Mundesley. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £121; patron, John Mack, Esq.: impropriators, the landowners. The glebe contains four acres. The church is chiefly in the decorated style; the chancel has several monuments to the Paston family, including a beautiful recumbent effigy of Lady Catherine Paston, in white marble elaborately sculptured. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. Here are the ruins of the old Hall belonging to the Pastons.

Paston (All Saints)

PASTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Peterborough; containing, with the hamlets of Gunthorpe and Walton, and the chapelry of Werrington, 962 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 11.; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. Certain tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1803; and under the recent commutation act, a rent-charge of £140 is paid to the bishop, and a similar sum to the rector: the glebe contains 64 acres. There is a chapel of ease at Werrington. On Paston green are six almshouses, which are endowed with £12 per annum.

Paston

PASTON, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Newton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S.) from Coldstream; containing 199 inhabitants. The township is situated on the river Beaumont, and comprises 2360 acres, of which 1453 are arable, 780 pasture, and 127 wood; the soil is a light loam, well adapted for turnip husbandry. There are some quarries of whinstone for building and for the roads. The remains of a circular camp are still visible on the summit of Paston Hill; it appears to have been a double intrenchment, the outer trench 400 yards in circumference. At the western base of the hill, in removing a cairn of stones in 1838, a small earthen urn was found, containing ashes and small pieces of burnt bones.

Patcham (All Saints)

PATCHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Steyning, hundred of Dean, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Brighton; containing 579 inhabitants. The village is on the road from London to Brighton, and the London and Brighton railway runs through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 5½., and in the gift of the Crown; income, £110; impropriator, J. Paine, Esq. The church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style. Within the parish is Hollingsbury encampment, near which a celt and some other antiquities were found in 1827.

Patching

PATCHING, a parish and hundred, in the rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Arundel; containing 249 inhabitants. The road from Portsmouth to Brighton, by way of Arundel, passes through the parish; the surface is hilly, and the soil various. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of West Tarring consolidated, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's books at £11. 18. 4. The church is in the early English style, with later additions, and was formerly much larger; it was beautified in 1835, at the expense of Sir Richard Hunter, Bart., to several members of whose family tablets have been placed in the chancel.

Patchway, Gloucestershire.—See Hempton.

PATCHWAY, Gloucestershire.—See Hempton.

Pateley-Bridge

PATELEY-BRIDGE, a market-town, and the head of a union, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 12 miles (W. S. W.) from Ripon, and 224 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 797 inhabitants. The parochial chapelry of Pateley comprises the townships of Bewerley, and High and Low Bishopside. The town is situated on the northern bank of the river Nidd, and is indebted for its importance to the adjacent lead-mines, which, though now partially exhausted, were formerly worked to a very great extent. The spinning of flax and the weaving of linen are carried on; and in the vicinity are quarries of excellent freestone, and clay for brick-making. A market, granted by Edward II., in 1324, is held on Saturday; and there are fairs on Easter and Whitsun eves, May 11th, Sept. 17th (if on a Saturday, otherwise on the following Saturday), the Monday after Oct. 10th, and on Christmas-eve. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. A church, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected in 1827, partly by a grant of £2000 from the Parliamentary Commissioners, and partly by subscription; it is a handsome structure in the later English style. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. An ancient foundation, called Rake's school from the site of ground on which it stands, was augmented in 1806, with a bequest of £1800 stock, by Mrs. Alice Shepherd. The poor-law union of Pateley-Bridge comprises ten chapelries or townships, containing a population of 7999.

Patmer

PATMER, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Albury, hundred of Edwinstree, and partly in the parish of Bishop's-Stortford, hundred of Braughin, county of Hertford; adjacent to the town, and in the union, of Bishop's-Stortford. It belongs to the Bishop of London, whose officer holds courts leet and baron, at which a constable and other officers are annually chosen, and misdemeanants punished.

Patney (St. Swithin)

PATNEY (St. Swithin), a parish, forming a distinct portion of the hundred of Elstub and Everley, in the union of Devizes, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 5¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Devizes; containing 196 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 8. 4.; net income, £225; patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1778.

Patricroft

PATRICROFT, a village, in the township of Barton-upon-Irwell, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 5 miles (W.) from Manchester, on the road to Warrington. Here are some of the most extensive works for the manufacture of iron and steel in and around Manchester. These great works, the property of Messrs. Nasmyths, Gaskell, and Company, immediately adjoin the Liverpool and Manchester railway, at that part where it crosses the Bridgewater canal; the canal forms the limit of the ground upon which the premises stand, and the works have in consequence been named the Bridgewater Foundry. The buildings extend in front 1050 feet, and several hundreds of persons are employed in the various branches of melting iron, moulding in iron and brass, forging, smiths' work, turning, framework and machinery, and the manufacture of the metals from the most ponderous to the minutest articles. The different workshops are connected by tramways, so that the heaviest castings are passed with facility from one end of the foundry to the other, receiving in succession the necessary operations; and the buildings throughout are furnished with machines and lathes, and self-acting tools, that lessen the labour of the workman. The railway has a station in the village.

Patrington (St. Patrick)

PATRINGTON (St. Patrick), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 56 miles (E. S. E.) from York, and 189 (N. by E.) from London; containing 1402 inhabitants. This place, which is of great antiquity, is supposed by some antiquaries to be the Prætorium of Antoninus, and the point where the Roman road leading from the great Picts' wall terminates: about seventy years since, a stone, which had formed part of a Roman altar, was dug up. The town is pleasantly situated near a small river which empties itself into the estuary of the Humber; and although in a flat country, different points in the vicinity afford commanding views of the Humber and its fertile shores, and also of the opposite coast of Lincolnshire. The haven, about a mile distant, according to tradition, was capable of admitting large vessels; but it has become so obstructed by the accumulation of silt, as only to afford access to small craft, which convey corn to Hull and London, and import lime and coal from the West riding. The market is on Saturday, principally for corn, the trade in which is considerable; and fairs are held on March 28th, July 18th, and December 6th, for shoes, linen-drapery, woollen-cloth, copper and tin ware, toys, &c. The parish comprises by measurement 3500 acres, of which 2307 are arable, 1153 pasture, and 40 woodland, these last forming plantations in the south-western part of the lordship; the soil is in general clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22; net income, £628; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The tithes, for the most part, were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act of inclosure, in 1766; those of the west lands are payable in kind when in tillage: the glebe and land consist of 400 acres. The church is a spacious and handsome cruciform edifice, combining the decorated and later English styles, with a tower surmounted by a fine lofty spire. There are some places of worship for dissenters. The poor-law union of Patrington comprises twenty-seven parishes or places, and contains a population of 8677.

Patrixbourne (St. Mary)

PATRIXBOURNE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Bridge and Petham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Canterbury; containing 251 inhabitants. A priory of Augustine canons, a cell to the abbey of Beaulieu, in Normandy, was founded here about 1200, and in 1399, or the year following, was made subject to the priory of Merton, in Surrey. The parish comprises 1637 acres, of which 57 are in wood: the soil is a rich loam, alternated with gravel and chalk; the surface is pleasingly undulated, and watered by a stream called the Little Stour, which winds its course through the valleys. The living is a vicarage, with the living of Bridge annexed, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of the Dowager Marchioness Conyngham, to whom the impropriation belongs: the great tithes have been commuted for £876, and the vicarial for £395. 16.; the glebe comprises 48 acres. The church is in the Norman style, with some portions of later date.

Patshull (St. Mary)

PATSHULL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shiffnall, S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Wolverhampton; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres of profitable land; the surface is generally level, and there are two pieces of water, called respectively Patshull and Snowdon Pools, the former of which presents the appearance of a fine river winding through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Pigot, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land in 1799. The church, situated in the park, close to the mansion of Sir Robert Pigot, was built by Sir Richard Astley, and is in the revived Italian style; it contains a monument with the recumbent figures of Sir John Astley and his lady, and another monument on which Sir Richard is represented in basso-relievo at the head of a squadron of horse.

Patterdale, with Hartsop

PATTERDALE, with Hartsop, a chapelry, in the parish of Barton, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 7¾ miles (N. by E.) from Ambleside; containing 573 inhabitants. It extends along the upper reach of Ullswater, amidst scenery of the most sublime character, the view being bounded by a vast amphitheatre of mountains, which surround the lake. The chapelry comprises about 8000 acres, of which 5053 are waste land or common. The dale is intersected by numerous rills from the high grounds, and by others flowing from the three tarns, Brotherwater, Hayswater, and Angle tarn, all emptying themselves into the lake Ullswater: at the head of the lake is an inn for the convenience of tourists, near which a large fair for sheep is held in October. There are several very productive quarries of fine blue slate in the neighbourhood; also considerable lead and silver mines. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £57; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The tithes have been commuted for £42 payable to the impropriators, and £21. 9. 9. to the perpetual curate. The chapel is dedicated to St. Patrick, and contains a pulpit above 200 years old.

Pattesley

PATTESLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Oxwick, union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Fakenham; containing 16 inhabitants. This hamlet, anciently a parish, comprises 320a. 3p., of which 218 acres are arable, 77 pasture and meadow, and 25 woodland. The living is a sinecure rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Mattishall, and valued in the king's books at £8. 18. 9.: a modus of eight guineas is paid in lieu of tithes. The church was dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and the ruins may be still seen near the east end of Pattesley House.

Pattingham (St. Chad)

PATTINGHAM (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Seisdon, partly in the hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, but chiefly in the S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, 6½ miles (W.) from Wolverhampton; containing 903 inhabitants, of whom 802 are in the Staffordshire portion, and 101 in the township of Rudge, in Salop. The parish comprises about 4067 acres, whereof 1567 are in Rudge. The soil is called turnip and barley land, being farmed on the four-course or Norfolk system, although it is not nearly so light and sandy as the soil usually coming under this designation, the greater part of it being sufficiently strong for the growth of wheat, which is produced here every four years in the regular course of husbandry. The surface is hilly, and the scenery diversified. To the west is a fine view of the Wrekin, the Clee hills, and part of Wenlock-Edge. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Pigot, Bart.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £342. The church is situated in the village: the chancel is in the early English style, with double lancet windows and a quatre-foil; and there are two circular arches between the nave and north aisle, the date of which has been the subject of various conjectures among those interested in ecclesiastical architecture. A fire suddenly burst forth here in September 1677, which consumed several dwelling-houses, barns, and other buildings, and also the church with the exception of the steeple and outer walls. A former school, endowed with land (now producing £6 per annum) for the instruction of eight children, has been incorporated with some national schools supported by subscription, and at present containing about 150 boys and girls.

Pattishall (Holy Trinity)

PATTISHALL (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union and hundred of Towcester, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Towcester; containing 728 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2756a. 2r. 22p., arable and pasture land in about equal portions; the surface is undulated, the soil generally rich, and the scenery of pleasing character. Limestone is obtained in abundance. The Weedon station on the London and Birmingham railway is distant north-west about four miles, and the Coventry and Stoney-Stratford road intersects the parish. There are two vicarages, respectively valued in the king's books at £6. 11. 10½.; net income of each, £136; the upper vicarage in the patronage of the Crown, the lower in that of the Rev. T. C. Welch: the impropriation belongs to Thomas Drayson, Esq., and Miss Bradshaw. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Thomas Young, in 1684, endowed a school in the parish: the property consists of a schoolroom, dwelling-house, and garden, with about 11 acres of land; and the master also receives £5 per annum from the Foxley charity.

Pattiswick (St. Mary Magdalene)

PATTISWICK (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Braintree, Witham division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 5½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Kelvedon; containing 375 inhabitants. It comprises about 1250 acres, of which 1050 are arable, 140 pasture, and about 100 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £900 payable to the rector, and £340 to the incumbent; the former has 57 acres, and the latter 3½ acres, of glebe. The church is a small edifice, with a shingled spire.

Patton

PATTON, a township, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 3½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Kendal; with 66 inhabitants.



<--Previous:
Park - Parwick
Next:-->
Paul - Pebworth