Paul (St. Paul)
PAUL (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Penzance, hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Penzance; containing
4664 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on
the shore of Mount's Bay, comprises 2662 acres, and
includes the villages of Mousehole and Newlyn, where
extensive pilchard and mackerel fisheries are carried on.
About 580 acres are common or waste. A tin-mine,
called Wheal Gath, is worked at Ballogas; and a tin
smelting-house has been established at Trereife. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13.
11. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income,
£380. The church occupies elevated ground, and has a
lofty tower, seen at a great distance from sea; it was
thoroughly repaired and newly pewed in 1829, at an
expense of £600. At Newlyn is a chapel dedicated to
St. Peter. There are places of worship for Baptists,
Independents, and Wesleyans. An almshouse for twelve
men and women was founded in 1709, by Capt. Stephen
Hutchens, who endowed it with £600, invested in land
now producing about £100 per annum. At Kerris, in
the parish, are remains of a Druidical temple, called the
Roundago, near which, in 1723, was discovered a vault
eight feet long and six deep, in which was an urn of the
finest red clay, containing small brass coins.
Paull (St. Andrew and St. Mary)
PAULL (St. Andrew and St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Patrington, S. division of the wapentake of
Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the
township of Thorn-Gumbald, 870 inhabitants, of whom
599 are in Paull township, 2¼ miles (S. W.) from Hedon.
The parish is situated on the river Humber, and comprises 5648 acres, of which 3424 are arable, and the rest
meadow; the surface is level, but the scenery embraces
fine views of part of Lincolnshire, the Humber, and the
Wolds. The village is a fishing-place, and noted for
shrimps; it formerly contained an extensive dockyard,
in which several ships of the line were built during the
late war, including one of 74 guns. The living is a
discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£10. 0. 5.; net income, £160; patron, the Archbishop
of York: the impropriation belongs to the families of
Prickett and Blaydes. Part of the tithes were commuted for land in 1811, and a money payment is made
for those in the hamlet of Boreas Hill. The church is
a cruciform structure in the later English style, with a
tower at the intersection. There is a very ancient
chapel of ease, the doorway of which consists of a Norman arch, and at Paull-Holme are the remains of a
convent. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Pauler's-Pury (St. James)
PAULER'S-PURY (St. James), a parish, in the
union of Potter's-Pury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (S. E. by
S.) from Towcester; containing 1188 inhabitants. The
road from Stoney-Stratford to Daventry passes near the
village. The parish contains 2961a. 13p. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 4. 2.; patrons, the Wardens and Fellows of New College, Oxford.
The church contains a curious font. There is a place
of worship for Wesleyans. William Marriott, in 1721,
bequeathed land now producing £11 per annum, applied
in aid of a national school. The ancient Watling-street
passes through the parish, in which coins of Constantine,
Maximian, and other emperors, have been found. Dr.
Edward Bernard, a learned astronomer, and Savilian
professor at Oxford, was born here in 1638.
Paulton (Holy Trinity)
PAULTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Clutton, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 9½ miles (S. W.) from Bath; containing 2009
inhabitants, some of whom are employed in raising coal.
The living is a perpetual curacy, until recently united
to the living of Chewton-Mendip; patron, the Vicar of
Chewton-Mendip; net income, £150. The vicarial
tithes have been commuted for £74. 13., and the impropriate for £40; the glebe comprises 5 acres. The
church contains 350 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £200 in aid of the expense. There
are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Pauntley (St. John the Evangelist)
PAUNTLEY (St. John the Evangelist), a parish,
in the union of Newent, hundred of Botloe, W.
division of the county of Gloucester, 2¾ miles (N. E.
by N.) from Newent; containing 280 inhabitants. The
parish lies on the high road from Newent (over the
river Leadon) to Redmarley-D'Abitot, and comprises
about 2000 acres. The surface is in continuous undulations, and the scenery is beautiful, with the Malvern
hills to the north, the line of the Cotswold hills to the
east, the Herefordshire hills to the west, and May Hill
to the south: the lower lands are watered by the Leadon.
In 1292, Pauntley was a chapelry to Newent. The
living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of
Gloucester and Bristol; net income, £80. The tithes
have been commuted for £450. The church, an ancient
edifice, has lately received some improvements at the
expense of the vicar: the arch of the tower, and the
west window, have been restored, by the removal of a
singing-gallery; and the chancel arch, of very beautiful
proportions, has been freed from whitewash, and its
handsome architrave well developed, but the lower
parts of the shafts and their bases are still concealed by
unsightly pews, which disfigure the church generally.
More recently, a new (open) roof has been put up by
the parishioners, and the chancel has been repaired by
C. W. Osborne, Esq., of Hawford, the impropriator.
The south door is Norman, with a great variety of
ornament; the windows and mouldings, and a chantry
chapel, are for the most part in the perpendicular style.
In the chantry chapel, a handsome window has been
blocked up, and a huge monument to Lady Ann Somerset placed against it. With the exception of the improvements just mentioned, the church is in a state of
disrepair. The present vicar has also established a provident club, for assuring medicine and medical attendance, and 8s. weekly, during sickness, to day labourers
within the parish. Here are some springs similar in
character to, but more powerful than, the Cheltenham
waters; pigeons resort to them, for the sake, as is said,
of the salt obtained from evaporation. The mutilated
shaft of a preaching cross was recently dug up, in clearing away the earth from the church walls. The celebrated Wythington, Withington, or Whittington, lord
mayor of London; and Joseph Smith, founder of the
Mormonites, are said to have been of this parish.
Pavenham (St. Peter)
PAVENHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred
of Willey, union and county of Bedford, 7 miles (N.
W.) from Bedford; containing 600 inhabitants. The
manor was anciently in the family of Pabenham, from
whom it passed by an heiress to the Tyringhams, and
afterwards became vested in the Alstons. Stafford
bridge here crosses the river Ouse; and the road from
Bedford to Harrold passes through the parish. The
living is annexed to the vicarage of Felmersham: the
tithes were commuted for land in 1769. In the church
are tombs of the families of Alston and Franklyn.
Pawlett (St. John the Baptist)
PAWLETT (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union of Bridgwater, hundred of North Petherton,
W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N.) from Bridgwater; containing 595 inhabitants. The navigable
river Parret bounds the parish on the east and south.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £10. 17. 11., and in the patronage of the
Crown; impropriator, Lord de Mauley. The great
tithes have been commuted for £200, and the vicarial
for £349. 10.; the glebe comprises 9 acres. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
PAXFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Blockley,
union of Shipston-on-Stour, Upper division of the
hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester, though
locally in the Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county of Gloucester, 4 miles (N. by W.) from
Moreton-in-the-Marsh; containing 225 inhabitants. The
hamlet lies north-north-east of the village of Blockley.
There is a small place of worship for Baptists.
Paxton, Great (Holy Trinity)
PAXTON, GREAT (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the
union of St. Neot's, hundred of Toseland, county of
Huntingdon, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from the town of
St. Neot's; containing 415 inhabitants. The parish
comprises by measurement 1331 acres, the soil of which
is chiefly a strong clay, and tolerably good wheat land.
The surface is hilly between the village and St. Neot's;
the meadows are subject to inundation from the river
Ouse, which separates the parish on the west from Little
Paxton. The living is a vicarage, with the livings of
Little Paxton and Toseland annexed, valued in the
king's books at £16. 2. 11.; net income, £231; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln.
The tithes of Great Paxton were commuted for land and
a money payment in 1811: there are 97 acres of glebe
in this parish, and 60 in Little Paxton.
Paxton, Little (St. James)
PAXTON, LITTLE (St. James), a parish, in the
union of St. Neot's, hundred of Toseland, county of
Huntingdon, 1½ mile (N.) from St. Neot's; containing
214 inhabitants. It comprises about 1350 acres; a
great portion has a gravelly soil, and the surface is
chiefly level. The living is annexed to the vicarage of
Great Paxton: the tithes were commuted for land in the
Payhembury (St. Mary)
PAYHEMBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Cullompton and
N. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (W. N. W.) from the
town of Honiton; containing 545 inhabitants. It comprises 2700 acres, of which 120 are common or waste
land. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £18. 4. 2.; patron, the Rev. T. T. Jackson;
impropriator, W. Wyndham, Esq. The great tithes
have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for
£137: the glebe comprises 81 acres. The church is a
handsome structure, and has a fine wooden screen. At
Leyhill is an old mansion, with a chapel; and at Hembury is an ancient intrenchment.
PAYTHORNE, a township, in the parish of Gisburn, union of Clitheroe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York,
9 miles (S.) from Settle; containing 201 inhabitants.
The township comprises by computation 2800 acres of
land, chiefly the property of Lord Ribblesdale.
Payton, with Adforton.—See Adforton.
PAYTON, with Adforton.—See Adforton.
Peak, with Westbury
PEAK, with Westbury, a hamlet, in the parish of
East Meon, union of Petersfield, hundred of MeonStoke, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of
Southampton, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Petersfield;
containing 56 inhabitants.
PEAK FOREST, an extra-parochial chapelry, in the
union of Chapel-en-le-Frith, hundred of High Peak,
N. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (N. W. by
N.) from Tideswell; containing 575 inhabitants. It
lies on the road from Tideswell to Chapel-en-le-Frith,
and comprises 1360 acres. In the northern part of the
liberty, and about a mile distant from the village, is
Eldon Hole, a celebrated perpendicular chasm, the
mouth of which is ninety feet in length, and thirty in
breadth in the widest part, with a strong wall erected
round it to prevent accidents. The credulity of travellers
has often been imposed upon by tales respecting its immeasurable depth. In the days of Elizabeth, the Earl
of Leicester had a man let down into it, who, when
drawn up, was speechless, and, it is said, shortly afterwards died. Catcott has noticed the chasm at some
length in his treatise on the Deluge, and instanced it as
a proof of his theory; Cotton, also, the natural poet
of the Peak, has given an elaborate account of it. John
Lloyd, Esq., F.R.S., descended in 1770, and reached the
bottom 186 feet from the mouth, the light from which
was sufficiently strong to permit him to read the smallest
print. The interior of the chasm he described as consisting of two parts, communicating with each other by
a small arched passage; the one small; the other spacious, in form like the dome of a glass-house, and containing large masses of sparkling stalactite. His account
was published in the 61st volume of the Philosophical
Transactions, and has been confirmed by several persons
who have since descended at different times. In the
liberty is a chapel, a small neat structure, dedicated to
King Charles the Martyr: the living is a donative; net
income, £70; patron and impropriator, the Duke of
Devonshire. A school is endowed with £10 a year.
Peakirk (St. Pega)
PEAKIRK (St. Pega), a parish, in the union and
soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of
Northampton, 3 miles (S. E.) from Market-Deeping;
containing 192 inhabitants. It comprises 551a. 3r. 12p.,
and is skirted by the river Welland. The living is a rectory, with that of Glinton annexed, valued in the king's
books at £18. 3. 11½., and in the gift of the Dean and
Chapter of Peterborough: the tithes have been commuted for about £600. The church was erected about
three centuries since. St. Pega, in 714, settled here in
a cell, afterwards converted by Edmund Atheling into a
monastery, which, though twice destroyed by the Danes,
existed till 1048: there are remains in the parish, now
called the Hermitage.
PEALS, a township, in the parish of Allenton,
union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward,
N. division of Northumberland, 8¼ miles (W. by N.)
from Rothbury; containing 87 inhabitants. The hamlet is situated on the north bank of the river Coquet, a
mile and a half south-east from Allenton.
PEASEMORE, a parish, in the union of Wantage,
hundred of Faircross, county of Berks, 7 miles (N.)
from Newbury; containing 309 inhabitants. It comprises 2027a. 2r. 8p.; the soil is generally good, being
a rich loam, and the surface is hilly. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 12. 1., and
in the gift of Charles Eyre, Esq.: the tithes have been
commuted for £663. 10., and the glebe comprises 65
acres. In the church is a memorial of William Coward,
lord of the manor, who, though his income did not exceed £110 per annum, built the tower, and gave the
great bell and the communion-plate, besides performing
other acts of charity; he died in 1739. The Primitive
Methodists have a place of worship.
Peasenhall (St. Michael)
PEASENHALL (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 2¾ miles (W. by N.) from Yoxford; containing
845 inhabitants, and comprising 1921 acres. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Sibton:
the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £432,
those of the vicar for £9. 15., and those of the perpetual
curate for £120. The church is a plain edifice. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and two schools
are endowed with land producing £27 a year.
Peasmarsh (St. Peter and St. Paul)
PEASMARSH (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish,
in the union and parliamentary borough of Rye, hundred of Goldspur, rape of Hastings, E. division of
Sussex, 3¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Rye; containing
902 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north
by the river Rother, and the road from London to Rye
passes through the village; the surface is pleasingly
undulated, and from the higher grounds the views are
very extensive and picturesque. Good building-stone
is obtained. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £5. 9. 2.; net income, £261;
patrons, the Master and Fellows of Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. The impropriation belongs to the
families of Delves and Curteis, whose tithes have been
commuted for £714. The church is in the early English
style, and surmounted by a spire: the glebe-house has
been rebuilt in the Elizabethan style, and is situated in
a glebe of 3 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Wm. Pattison, a poet of considerable genius,
was born here in 1706.
Peatling Magna (All Saints)
PEATLING MAGNA (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S.
division of the county of Leicester, 6½ miles (N. E. by
N.) from Lutterworth; containing 308 inhabitants. It
comprises about 2000 acres: the Midland railway passes
within two miles. The living is a discharged vicarage,
united in 1729 to the rectory of Willoughby-Waterless,
and valued in the king's books at £5. 9. 2.: the glebe
comprises about 48 acres. In the church are old monuments of the Jarvis family.
Peatling Parva (St. Andrew)
PEATLING PARVA (St. Andrew), a parish, in
the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton,
S. division of the county of Leicester, 4¾ miles (N. E.
by N.) from Lutterworth; containing 159 inhabitants.
It comprises about 300 acres; the soil is in some parts
light, in others strong, and the surface elevated, but not
hilly. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £9. 14. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown; net
income, £158. The lord of the manor, in 1665, gave
land for the poor, which produces £30 per annum.
There are some mild chalybeate springs.
PEATON, a township, in the parish of Diddlebury,
union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of
Salop; containing 103 inhabitants.
Pebmarsh (St. John the Baptist)
PEBMARSH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Halsted, hundred of Hinckford, N.
division of Essex, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Halsted;
containing 614 inhabitants. The parish comprises
2024a. 2r. 27p., of which 1714 acres are arable, 157
meadow land, 90 wood, 26 in gardens, and 36 in roads;
the soil is various, but chiefly fertile. The village is
pleasantly situated, and intersected by a rivulet, near
which a silk-factory has been erected, affording employment to about 300 persons; the straw-bonnet and lint
manufactures are likewise carried on. A fair for toys
is held on the 24th of June. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the
Earl of Verulam: the tithes have been commuted for
£583, and there are 26½ acres of glebe. The church is
a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a
tower. Its revenues anciently belonged to the abbey at
Clare, in Suffolk.
PEBSBURY, a hamlet, in the parish of HuishEpiscopi, union of Langport, E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of the county of Somerset; containing 66 inhabitants.
Pebworth (St. Peter)
PEBWORTH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate,
E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6¼ miles (N.
by W.) from Chipping-Campden; containing, with the
hamlets of Broad Marston and Ullington, 829 inhabitants, of whom 540 are in the township of Pebworth.
The parish comprises about 3000 acres, the soil of which
is a strong rich clay; the surface is varied, being in
some parts hilly, and in others level. The living is a
discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£10. 1. 2., and has a net income of £98: the patronage
and impropriation belong to Thomas Eden, and T.
Shekell, Esqrs. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school is endowed with £15, and a Sunday
school with £5, per annum. Several mineral springs
rise in the parish, which are said to resemble the Cheltenham waters.