PECKFORTON, a township, in the parish of Bunbury, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Tarporley; containing
309 inhabitants. It comprises 1741 acres, of which
the soil is half clay, half sand. Horseley Bath, a mineral spring formerly in considerable esteem, is in the
PECKHAM, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Camberwell, E. division of the hundred of Brixton
and of the county of Surrey, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from
London; containing 12,563 inhabitants. This pleasant
and populous village consists chiefly of one long continuous line of handsome buildings, extending eastward
from the village of Camberwell nearly to Forest-Hill;
on the north is the Kent-road, and East Dulwich is on
the south. It is well lighted with gas, and includes
numerous detached mansions and elegant villas inhabited by opulent families. The surrounding scenery
is beautifully diversified, and enriched with thriving
plantations and tastefully-disposed grounds attached to
the principal houses; the hills in the immediate vicinity command extensive and varied prospects. A
branch of the Surrey canal passes within a short distance; and a large silk-factory is established in the neighbourhood: a fair was formerly held on the Rye, a spacious green, but has for many years been suppressed.
In Hill-street is a proprietary episcopal chapel, in
the later English style, with a low tower surmounted
by a spire; the interior has been embellished by the
insertion of stained glass in the windows. There is
also an episcopal chapel on Rye Green, a neat structure with a campanile turret, erected for the use of his
tenants by the late Thomas Bayly, Esq. Christ Church,
to the north of the Kent-road, near the Surrey canal,
was consecrated in Sept. 1838, and is a plain brick
edifice in the early English style, with pinnacles of stone
at the angles; the interior is neatly arranged, and
lighted by lancet-shaped windows. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the gift of Hyndman's Trustees.
The church of St. Mary Magdalene, on the south of
Deptford-lane, and on the road to the Nunhead cemetery, was consecrated in May, 1841, and is a handsome
structure of brick, with a square tower crowned by pinnacles of stone and surmounted by an octagonal spire:
it is partly in the Norman style, of which the entrance
into the tower is a neat specimen, and partly in the
early English style; the altar-piece is a handsome screen
of stone in the early English style, richly carved. The
living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rev. J.
G. Storie. There are places of worship for Baptists and
Independents. The Nunhead cemetery, belonging to
the London Cemetery Company, and comprising fifty
acres, was consecrated, with the exception of eight acres
left for the dissenters, in 1840: the principal chapel
Peckham House, opened in 1823 for the reception of
50 private insane patients, and now also adapted for the
admission of 250 pauper lunatics under the direction of
the Metropolitan Commissioners, is a spacious and wellarranged building, surrounded by nearly 5 acres of
garden and pleasure ground. Attached to the institution is a farm of 80 acres, at Forest-Hill, in which the
pauper lunatics are employed in husbandry and other
pursuits. In Peckham New-Town, is the Licensed
Victuallers' Asylum, instituted in 1827, for the support
of decayed members, under the patronage of the late
Duke of Sussex, who laid the first stone of the building.
It is a handsome structure of brick, occupying three
sides of a quadrangular area, which is laid out in lawns
and parterres; the central range has a portico of six
lofty Ionic columns, sustaining a pediment, and surmounted with a cupola. The buildings contain 101
tenements, and the grounds around comprise about six
acres. A house at Peckham which was occupied by
Dr. Milner as an academy, is still regarded with peculiar interest, and has obtained the appellation of Goldsmith House, having been the residence of Oliver Goldsmith, who was usher under Dr. Milner for some time:
a pane of glass on which are some lines written by the
poet with the point of a diamond, was taken out of one
of the windows by the late occupier, and is still carefully
Peckham, East (St. Michael)
PECKHAM, EAST (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Malling, hundred of Twyford, lathe of
Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5½ miles (N. E. by E.)
from Tonbridge; containing 2166 inhabitants. The
parish is well wooded, and comprises 3365a. 36p., of
which 2746 acres are arable, meadow, and pasture land.
It is situated on the river Medway, which has a wharf
here. There are four distinct hamlets, and the inhabitants of two of them are nearly all employed in a large
oil-mill and a tanyard. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £14; net income, £900, of which
£40 are received out of the rectorial tithes; patrons,
the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury: the rectory is
valued in the king's books at £23. The church is an
ancient plain building, with a tower and small spire.
A district church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has
lately been erected in the centre of the parish, affording
accommodation for 600 persons: the living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Vicar, with a net income of £150. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyans.
Peckham, West (St. Dunstan)
PECKHAM, WEST (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the
union of Malling, hundred of Littlefield, lathe of
Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (N. E.) from
Tonbridge; containing, with Oxenoath, 535 inhabitants.
A commandery of Knights Hospitallers was founded
here in 1408, by John Colepepper, one of the judges of
the common pleas. The parish comprises 1583 acres,
of which 1100 are in cultivation, producing hops, fruit,
and corn, and the remainder is for the most part woodland. A fair is held on Whitsun-Thursday. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£7. 5. 10.; income, £177; patrons and appropriators,
the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. There are 14
acres of glebe in this parish, and a glebe farm of 20 acres
in that of Tudeley. The church is a small building
with a tower surmounted by a spire, situated on an
Peckleton (St. Mary)
PECKLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (N. E.) from
Hinckley; containing, with Tooley-Park hamlet, 347
inhabitants. This parish, called in ancient writings
Pecklington, Peculden, and Peycelton, contains about
1500 acres, including 109 acres of the disafforested
chase of Leicester, which, by an act of inclosure in 1771,
were allotted to Peckleton, tithe-free. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income,
£474; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. M. Cooper.
The church is an ancient structure, with a low embattled
tower, crowned with pinnacles, and surmounted by a
crocketed spire: in the chancel are three stone stalls in
the decorated style, and the east window has some
fragments of stained glass, with figures of a male and
female saint: there are also numerous armorial bearings
and other memorials of ancient families. Here is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
Pedmore (St. Peter)
PEDMORE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Bromsgrove, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Stourbridge and E. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 1½ mile (S. by E.) from Stourbridge; containing 291 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Stourbridge to Bromsgrove,
comprises 1465a. 1r. 23p. of land, interspersed with
coppice wood. The soil is generally light, with some
stiff clay on the hills; it is well cultivated, and chiefly
adapted to the growth of turnips and barley. There is
a stone-quarry, from which Old Swinford church was
built. The village is of respectable appearance. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 10.;
net income, £407; patrons, the Feoffees of Old Swinford Hospital. The church is a very ancient structure,
with some remains of Norman architecture.
Pedwardine, Hereford.—See Boresford.
PEDWARDINE, Hereford.—See Boresford.
Peele, county Chester.—See Horton.
PEELE, county Chester.—See Horton.
Peerston-Jaglin, or Purston
PEERSTON-JAGLIN, or Purston, a township,
in the parish of Featherstone, Upper division of the
wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 2 miles
(S. W.) from Pontefract; containing 254 inhabitants.
The township comprises about 1000 acres, and is pleasantly situated on the road to Wakefield. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
PEGSWORTH, a township, in the parish of Bothal,
union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N.
division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (E. N. E.) from
the town of Morpeth; containing 207 inhabitants. It
comprises 1266a. 3r. 1p., of which 1001 acres are in
tillage, 224 grass, and 41 woodland; the whole the property of the Duke of Portland. Collieries have long
been wrought here. The village, which is well built,
stands on a rock, on a bare and exposed, but dry and
fertile, eminence. The tithes have been commuted for
£209. 9. Pegsworth is remarkable as the birthplace,
in 1580, of Matthias Wilson, who, under the name of
Edward Knott, was the champion on the Roman Catholic side, in opposition to Chillingworth.
Peldon (St. Mary)
PELDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N.
division of Essex, 7 miles (S. by W.) from Colchester,
on the road to Maldon; containing 493 inhabitants.
This parish, which is bounded on the south-east by Mersea Channel, comprises 2188 acres, whereof 33 are common or waste. It is pleasantly situated on rising
ground; the soil, a strong loam, is very fertile, and the
lands are in good cultivation. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £16. 15. 10., and in the
gift of Earl Waldegrave: the tithes have been commuted for £575, and the glebe consists of 24½ acres.
The church is a small ancient edifice, with a tower of
Pelham, Brent (Virgin Mary)
PELHAM, BRENT (Virgin Mary), a parish, in the
union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree,
county of Hertford, 5¾ miles (E. by N.) from Buntingford; containing 285 inhabitants. The living is a
discharged vicarage, with that of Furneux-Pelham consolidated in 1771, valued in the king's books at
£7. 6. 8.; patron, the Treasurer of St. Paul's. The
great tithes have been commuted for £245, and the
vicarial for £120; the glebe comprises 44 acres. The
church has a square embattled tower; the chancel is
less than it formerly was, the south side having fallen
down some years since.
Pelham, Furneux (St. Mary)
PELHAM, FURNEUX (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree,
county of Hertford, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Buntingford; containing 682 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with that of Brent-Pelham, and valued in the king's books at £9: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £545. 10., and
the vicarial for £151; the impropriate glebe comprises
144 acres, and the vicarial 6. The sum of £19 is also
payable out of the tithes to the rector of StockingPelham. The church has a chapel, the burial-place of
the Calvert family, on the south side of the chancel; at
the west end is a square tower, embattled, and surmounted by a short spire.
Pelham, Stocking (St. Mary)
PELHAM, STOCKING (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree,
county of Hertford, 6½ miles (E.) from Buntingford;
containing 160 inhabitants. The parish is situated on
the borders of Essex, and consists of 628 acres, of which
549 are arable, 66 pasture, and 13 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 7½.,
and in the gift of N. Calvert, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £140, and the glebe comprises 30
acres of land. The church has a wooden tower with a
PELHAM'S-LANDS, near the parish of Fosdyke,
an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Boston,
wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of
Lincoln; containing 42 inhabitants.
PELSALL, a township, in the parish of Wolverhampton, union of Walsall, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3¼
miles (N.) from Walsall; containing 1100 inhabitants.
Pelsall was the seat of Robert de Corbeuil, one of William the Conqueror's barons, and his descendants; and
part of the township still retains the name of The Moat.
The township comprises 1194 acres, of which 215 are
common or waste; and contains several extensive coalbeds, of which two mines are in operation, one in the
centre of the township, and the other at Pelsall-Wood,
where are large iron-works with two blast-furnaces.
The greater part of the population are employed as
colliers or furnace-men, about thirteen families are
nailers, and the rest farmers and labourers. The Wyrley and Essington canal runs through the township.
Here is a living, which is a perpetual curacy; net income, £86; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church
erected in 1798, in which part of an older structure had
been incorporated, was lately taken down, and a new
church erected at a cost of £1600, capable of accommodating 632 persons; the sittings are chiefly free.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a small
school is endowed with two-thirds of the rent of a small
piece of ground left by Mrs. Dorothy Bridgeman, the
remaining third being paid to the perpetual curate.
PELTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and
union of Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles
(W. by N.) from Chester-le-Street; containing 2500 inhabitants. The township of Pelton is intersected by the
Pontop and South Shields railway, and comprises 998
acres of land, of which two-thirds are pasture, and the
remainder arable: the soil is principally a dry gravel,
and the western part of the township is very hilly, and
beautifully wooded. Two public quarries are worked for
the use of the freeholders. The village is straggling, and
situated on high ground. A little to the east of it is the
Flatts, a large house of brick, once the seat of the Allans,
of whom Thomas Allan, Esq., who died in 1741, was
one of the principal coal-owners on the river Wear; it
subsequently passed to the Lambton family, by purchase.
South Pelawe colliery, partly in the township, was opened
in 1839, and is of 70 fathoms' depth. The district comprises Urpeth, Ouston, Pelton, and half of Edmondsley:
the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Incumbent of Chester-le-Street; net income, £160, with
a house. The church, a neat edifice in the early English
style, was erected in 1842, at a cost of £1500, and is
dedicated to the Trinity. There are several schools
within the district, in connexion with the Church; and
the Independents and Methodists have each a place of
Pelynt (St. Nunn)
PELYNT (St. Nunn), a parish, in the union of
Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from West Looe; containing
834 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £17. 18. 6½.; patron and impropriator,
J. W. Buller, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £400, and those of the vicar for £235: there
are 50 acres of glebe. The church contains a curious
monument to the memory of Francis Buller, who died in
1615. At Trelawny, in the parish, yet remains a portion of a castellated mansion erected by Lord Bonville
in the fifteenth century.
Pembers-Oak, Hereford.—See Lilwall.
PEMBERS-OAK, Hereford.—See Lilwall.
PEMBERTON, a township, in the parish and union
of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, S. division of
Lancashire, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Wigan; containing 4394 inhabitants. Adam de Pemberton, who
held lands here, was living in the reign of Richard I.
In the 34th of Edward I., another Adam de Pemberton
brought an action of trespass against Thurstan de Northlegh and Matilda his wife, for cutting down his woods
at Pemberton under pretext of taking estovers. Sir
Robert de Holland obtained a licence to convey to the
priory of Up-Holland a mill and sixty acres of land
here, with their appurtenances. Pemberton is subject
to the fee of Newton-in-Makerfield, of which the Legh
family are lords; and the reputed manor is claimed by
them in right of their ancestors. The township is
bounded on the north-east by the river Douglas, and intersected by the road from Newton-in-Makerfield to
Wigan, and by the Liverpool and Bury railway. It
comprises 2500 acres, of which 1657 are arable, 807
pasture, 23 woodland, and 13 waste. The population is
chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the coal-mines
here, which are worked to a great extent: on the west
side of the township is the manufacturing village of
Lamberhead-Green. A district church, dedicated to St.
John, was built in 1832, at a cost of £4766: the living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of
Wigan; net income, £150. The tithes have been commuted for £370. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and among the schools is one endowed with £8
Pembridge (St. Peter)
PEMBRIDGE (St. Peter), a parish, and formerly
a borough, in the union of Kington, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 15½ miles (N. W. by N.)
from Hereford; containing 1306 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the river Arrow and the road from
Leominster to Kington, and comprises 6257 acres, of
which 70 are common or waste land. Courts leet and
baron are held annually; and fairs take place on May
13th for hiring servants, &c., and Nov. 22nd for the sale
of cattle; but the market, granted by Henry I., has long
been disused. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £36. 10. 2½.; net income, £845; patrons, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is a large and lofty structure,
with a detached steeple of curious construction. The
Wesleyans have places of worship; and there is another
belonging to the Home Missionary Society. Two schools
are supported by an endowment from William Carpenter
in 1650, augmented by a bequest by Henry Bengough
in 1818; they are conducted on the national system.
Some almshouses were erected and endowed in 1661, by
Jeffrey and Bishop Duppa, for six persons, each to receive £5 per annum. Alice Trafford, also, widow of
Thomas Trafford, D.D., in conformity with the desire of
her husband, in 1686 erected and endowed an almshouse
for six persons, each of whom likewise receives £5.
Pembury (St. Peter)
PEMBURY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Tonbridge, hundred of Washlingstone, lathe of
Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 3½ miles (S. E.) from
Tonbridge; containing 1093 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 3627 acres, of which 630 are in wood. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 8. 8.; net income, £353; patron, impropriator, and incumbent, the Rev. G. S. Woodgate. The
first stone of a new parish church was laid by the Marquess Camden in May 1846; the edifice, which is in the
later English style, and beautifully situated, cost £1900,
and was consecrated in September 1847. Here is a
national school; also an almshouse for six blind persons,
erected in 1716, by Charles Selby, in pursuance of the
will of Charles Amherst, who in 1702 had bequeathed a
rent-charge of £213 for its maintenance.